Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Diaries & Letters of Tri-Counties
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Home Page Guide Disclaimer Copyright More Diaries & Letters Town of Veteran  Joyce New & Search
Berneice REED MacDougall Diary 1942
Photo at left of Berneice REED MacDougall and Helen STERLING Turner - neighbors on Ridge Road.  Together Helen and Berneice have given us a good survey of life on Ridge Road in the time before and during World War Two. 
Diary Transcribed by Carla McDonald
Published by Joyce M. Tice
HST - 1936 January to June July to December
BRM 1937 January to June July to December
BRM 1941 January to June July to December
BRM 1942 January to June July to December
BRM 1944 January to June July to December
Ridge Road in the War Years by Walt Samson
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2010
Do You Know that you can search just the 355 pages of our
Diaries and Letters
on this site  by using the Diaries button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page? But diaries and letters are wonderful sources to understand the culture of time and place. Read them and enjoy them slowly.
Thursday, July 2, 1942

Helen took me to the shack. Took my old Morris chair down in order to have something to sit in. No excitement - not even a plane to report. Finished hemming the drapes for our room. Helen & Emily on their return trip from Mrs. Bush's, stopped for me. This proved to be my last service at the post as we were notified the next morning that the posts had been consolidated so there would be only four in the county.

Friday, July 3, 1942

Helen, Lily, the boys and I made a trip out to Hector for sweet cherries. Did not get many as Mickles were gone and Wickhams were too high. Had 10 qts. canned. Seemed good to take a nice ride again - next year no tires at all. Roy and Ola Chappell called in the evening - told us all the news from the government project

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Elizabeth U. Taber, 63, died Friday, July 3, 1942, at her home, 319 S. Main St., Horseheads. She is survived by her husband, Mark M. Taber. The funeral will be at the family home Monday at 2 p.m. with the Rev. Harry E. Mallek officiating. The body will be taken to Rochester Monday afternoon for cremation.

Sunday, July 5, 1942

Walter's 8th birthday. They met the Samson's for a picnic at Stuart Park Ithaca so I missed having my boy with me on his birthday - we were not invited to the picnic for some unknown - I picked and canned berries and cherries all day. Rather a lonesome blue day.

Monday, July 6, 1942

Helen and I went over to Wendell Botsford's and got 20# honey (to use in cooking, baking, etc to take place of sugar). Had an interesting chat about honey. Paid $1.30 for 10# of strained clover honey.

Wednesday, July 8, 1942

Had our first peas. Home Bureau picnic at home of Helen Loven. Helen, Lily, Gordon and I went together - stopped at school house and got some chairs. Had a fine time and a nice dinner. I went on a hike with some of the ladies in p.m. down through Loven's glen - a beautiful place but very hard to get to. Every one went home early.

Sunday, July 12, 1942

First new potatoes. A very eventful day in the family. All hands dropped everything early in the morning (including chicken dressing and dish washing) and went over to Sullivanville to look at a saddle horse which was advertised at Don Allington's (a new bungalow built across from Charlie Shafer's). Everyone like her but price seemed high so went down to Brewer's and looked at one thee. Not so good. Went back to Sullivanville and finally bought the horse and saddle and bridle. Charlie rode her home. Every one took turns riding horseback all p.m.

Monday, July 13, 1942

Helen, Gordon and I went to city in morning - got groceries and blanks for gasoline rationing for truck and tractor. Home just at noon. A very hot day 94° in Elmira. Men worked in hay all day. Charlie about all in but had to attend a meeting at H-H to talk over uniting milk routes - tire saving. Stanley and Lawrence Dann both taken to hospital. Stanley general giving out from his long illness and Lawrence with either stomach ulcers or paralysis of stomach nerves.

Thursday, July 16, 1942

Hurried around to get ready for company - The Fishels arrived at about 11:00. Had a nice visit in p.m. Marian and Virgil each had a horseback ride on the new horse. Had a broiler supper at night when Ted got home. Ernest and Myrna Winton over in the evening.

Friday, July 17, 1942

Fishels left right after dinner for home - promised to come up when Charlie cut his wonderful piece of oats with the combine which he bought second handed today.

Monday, July 20, 1942

Canned (also picked peas and string beans). Had our applicant for board and decided to take him - a foreman on the Horseheads project - a Mr. Edgecomb from Binghamton - a very nice appearing man.

Wednesday, July 22, 1942

Newspaper Clipping: Eugene F. VanName, 71, of 510 Pine St., Horseheads, died Wednesday morning, July 22, 1942 at a local hospital after a brief illness. Survivors: Daughters, Mrs. Lewis Garlick and Miss Hazel VanName, both of Horseheads; grandchildren, Eugene Garlick, U.S. Navy, and Lewis Garlick Jr., Horseheads; brother, Fred VanName, Horseheads. The body is at the Shields Funeral Home. Horseheads. Announcements later.

Friday, July 24, 1942

1st board. Boarder not to be home for dinner - so Helen, the boys and I went to town to attend to "odds & ends" - haircuts, electric and telephone bills, gas rationing books for truck and tractor, groceries, some additional every day dishes and house dresses, also new mirror and glass shelf for bathroom. Very hot day.

[Photo of "All the Associates"]

Saturday, July 25, 1942

Dairymen's League picnic at Grove Park. Ollie invited me to go with her. Charlie expecting to start his combine if it got dry enough so would not go. (P.S. Combine wasn't even delivered) I took Walter and Ollie took Barbara and Joyce Dann. Had a nice time. Quite a good crowd present. Miss Schoonmaker there and took movies of the crowd. We stopped at the hospital to see Stanley Dann - he a very pitiful sight. Phoebe stays with him all the time.

Tuesday, July 28, 1942

Several hard showers. Wheat suffering to be cut. Oats ripening and lodging and much hay not cut with second alfalfa coming on. Corn growing rapidly.

Wednesday, July 29, 1942

Hard showers again.

Thursday, July 30, 1942

May Little died quite unexpectedly after a heart attack. Survived by four sons Johnson and Richard at home, Judson married and living at Heights and Robert in the service.

Friday, July 31, 1942

Newspaper Clipping: Chandler Hammond

Chandler Hammond of Horseheads and Miami, Fla., died Friday, July 31, at Miami. Mr. Hammond was born in Horseheads in 1867, the son of Noah and Miami Allington Hammond. He was employed as a salesman for the McKinney Manufacturing Co. of Pittsburg for 30 years and was in the hardware business with George Rockwell, a half brother, for several years. That partnership was dissolved in 1911. Mr. Hammond was married to Florence Perry on Dec. 12, 1888. The family has spent winters in Florida for many years and have spent the summers in Horseheads until this year, when business affairs prevented their making their usual visit here. Mr. Hammond was a member of the Horseheads Lodge, F&AM, Kalurah Temple Shrine of Binghamton, Elmira Elks No. 62, Flat Tires Club, Puncture No. 2 of Miami, and the Corning Consistory. He is survived by his wife, Florence P.; a son, Albert P. Hammond; a daughter-in-law, Catherine C. Hammond; a granddaughter, Florence Pauline Hammond; a half brother, George W. Rockwell, and several nieces and nephews. A prayer service was held at Miami Saturday evening and Sunday the body was removed to the Van Buskirk funeral home where the funeral was held Tuesday afternoon with the Rev. George L. Gurney officiating. Burial was in Maple Grove Cemetery. Pall bearers were Olin Osmun, Harry D. Hammond, John T. Willis, Richard Marshall, Walter Rockwell and Ralter Rockwell Jr.

Special Data

[A card is inserted here]

Saturday, August 1, 1942

The Linderberys called a few minutes in the evening.

Sunday, August 2, 1942

Rained again in the morning. Charlie and I went to May Littles' funeral - a big crowd. Went over Terry Hill to deliver minute men material for the bond canvas. Had a few nice chats with "folks" George Samson and three friends over - the saddle horse furnished entertainment. Mr. Edgecomb and Harry went fishing over on Kayutah again - 26 nice summer and rock bass.

Monday, August 3, 1942

Board and 2 weeks washing. Had our first sweet corn. No rain and a nice wind to dry off the very wet ground.

Tuesday, August 4, 1942

Charlie started the combine on the dry end of the field - got about 60 bu.

Thursday, August 6, 1942

Charlie cutting rye on Ted's place with the combine. I rode up with the boys and Harry took Charlie's dinner. Picked about 2 qts. Of wild blackberries and called on Stella Acker - her baby very cute. Rode back on load of rye. Helen came up on their saddle horse for a few minutes.

Friday, August 7, 1942

Helen, Mr. Edgecomb, the boys and I drove out to Woodmere Farms at Hector and got peaches $1.80 per bu. - got 1 ½ bu. Stopped at Lake Side a few minutes for boys to play in the water. Got groceries in Odessa, butter at Bennetts and went via Ed. Stowe's to take her some plants. Charlie finished up 90 bu. And worked late to finish the wheat which he got in fairly good condition 140 bu. We the only ones around to get our wheat - impossible to get it dry where cut with binder.

Saturday, August 8, 1942

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Sophia Bowers, 98, of 210 Steuben St., Horseheads, widow of Jerome Bowers, died at 5 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 8, 1942. She was the oldest lifelong member of Horseheads Baptist Church. Survivors: son, Bert, with whom she lived; step-son, L. L. Bowers of Horseheads; grandsons, Ralph Bowers, Army Air Corps, Meridian, Miss. and Willard Bowers, Horseheads; granddaughter, Mrs. Lena Shaffer of Horseheads. Funeral at VanBuskirk Funeral home, Horseheads, Monday at 2:30 p.m. The Rev. Richard Cramer, Maple Grove Cemetery, Horseheads.

Monday, August 10, 1942

$10 on board washing pd. Rained again all the forenoon. Bad for oat harvest. Charlie tried to combine at night - too wet.

Tuesday, August 11, 1942

$10 on next weeks leaving 4 and today's washing. Did a big washing, finished peach canning. Charlie spent the day with the assessors on "Grievance" Day.

Wednesday, August 12, 1942

$4) $50 completing board till 17th and washing for this week.

Thursday, August 13, 1942

Began raining soon after dinner and at 4:00 began a down pour which continued until 7:30 and then the flood waters were pouring everywhere. Ted tried to come up via Valley road and had to turn back near Dr. Leets - then when he got to the creek by Hurley's it was a raging torrent from the bridge well up to Hurley's building but he finally made it (the last car to attempt it) we were all out looking - our little creek just filled the little valley away up around "Old Pine" and away over the Chapman road (the fill there being mostly washed out). Gerald D's came along and Helen and I and boys went down to Hurleys to see the sights and Mr. Edgecombe, Charlie and Harry soon joined us.

Friday, August 14, 1942

We were going to Elmira but decided not to on account of flood conditions - bridges all gone on the cross roads and on lower Middle Road. We went down to view the creek again which had gone down. Looked like a different pasture field. The project at H-H all flooded from old Newtown which left the banks away above Van Duzers. Washed the new railroad embankments away etc. etc.

Saturday, August 15, 1942

We went to Elmira. Did our shopping and Helen came home to get Edgecombe's late dinner and I went down and spent the p.m. with Aunt Lou. I took the old Webster Bible down to her. She needing her birth's record in proceedings to obtain old age pension. She feeling real well - is now 76.

Sunday, August 16, 1942

Charlie and I went with Gerald's family on a Sun. ride. Saw awful sights of damage of the flood. Went over to airport then around back road into Big Flats. Sing Sing Creek had on a big rampage. Went on to Corning and Painted Post up to Robert Dann's wonderful place - they not at home so did not see inside their mansion. Saw his 10 new big horses with which he will deliver his milk (as no retailer can get gas or tires) watched the milking for awhile - 175 cows being milked - ate some of their excellent ice cream and started back. Stopped at fruit stand and got some red peppers, tomatoes and a bag of onions. Back via Beaver Dams, Moreland and Johnson Hollow (next page)

Monday, August 17, 1942

--found they had had a very hard shower at home and we soon had another down pour which again sent the creeks on a tear. Fork out some more on the fill on Chapman's road. They had just finished a temporary bridge on the Middle Road and that was taken out.

Wednesday, August 19, 1942

Developed a bad rectum trouble but did my Big Ironing. Worse at night.

Thursday, August 20, 1942

Much worse - suffered untold agony. Could hardly move - too painful to stand a trip to Dr's.

Friday, August 21, 1942

Donald $12. Not quite so bad so Helen took me to Dr. Jackson in p.m. Had an abscess - he operated on it and immediately was relieved. Got a bushel of peaches in Watkins - took my eggs over to Odessa and got groceries - our long expected second boarder appeared in evening so had to fix him a room in parlor - he is Donald Perry from Newfane and is head grader operator drawing at $25 per day. He very nice and pleasant.

Saturday, August 22, 1942

[A photo is missing from this page]

One of the pictures taken by Miss Schoonmaker on July 27. It was printed in the Dairymen's League news soon after and on Sept. 10 we received a request (forwarded from the N.Y. office) from the State of Washington to be allowed to use the cut as it showed so much human interest, also wanting all the particulars concerning Walter's school work, age, hobbies and other interests.

Sunday, August 23, 1942

Charlie helped Amel fix pumps all morning and I dressed chickens and cooked all a.m. Still wet and foggy in the mornings.

Monday, August 24, 1942

Cold but windy and bright. Dried off so Charlie combined oats in p.m. I did my washing.

Tuesday, August 25, 1942

$12 Board and washing.

The way our boarder, Mr. Edgecombe, rested after working from 5:30 a.m. till 2:00 p.m.

Wednesday, August 26, 1942

Helen, the boys and I went to the Fair - took our dinner and had a nice time. Not much as to exhibits - the house plants just nothing. Came home quite early. Quite a hot day. The horse racing very good.

Friday, August 28, 1942

Bread Baking Contest at Grange. Worked all morning getting my loaf ready. Not enough people there to have Grange. Mrs. Linderbery and Mrs. Howell over to judge. Mrs. Hilton received first, Ollie second and I third - six entries. Ate bread and jam and milk for refreshments.

Sunday, August 30, 1942

MacDougall Reunion. Held at Sullivan's Monument in the log cabin. The Samson and MacDougall family attended "en masse." No one from Ithaca way present. Had a wonderful dinner "with baked ham for all" and a nice time all day.

Monday, August 31, 1942

Went around for school census and Helen had to go to H-H and meet the teacher.

[PHOTO is missing] MacDougalls and Samsons taken at the reunion.

Friday, September 4, 1942

Charlie and I went to Watkins Glen to a hardware sale - got a lot of useful hardware. Took eggs to Odessa .35 per doz. Charlie got a pair of high rubbers at Catlins and a dinner paid for Walter at the Odessa hardware - got some lines for single harness at Howards Bennett's also 5# butter. Harry and Mr. Edgecombe went over to Lamoka fishing - not much luck. They got 2 bu. peaches a piece and a basket of grapes.

Sunday, September 6, 1942

Mother's birthday 1859 - 88 if living. Samsons went to Cortland was surprised to learn that Mr. Edgecombe was leaving his job. He not able to work the long hours now required. I canned all day - 7 qts. Prunes, 8 of tomatoes, 4 of peaches. Picked ½ bu. tomatoes and 1 bu. corn for canning.

Monday, September 7, 1942

Canned the first corn - 7 qts. Mr. Perry returned after being absent since Friday morning.

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Eva May Dubert, 71, of Horseheads R.D.2, widow of William C. Dubert, died at 5:45 a.m. Monday, Sept. 7, 1942, at an Elmira hospital. Survivors: Two sons, Earl C. of Syracuse and Augustus E. Dubert of Rochester; three grandchildren; a brother, William Manning of Indiana; several nieces and nephews. The body is at the VanBuskirk Funeral Home, Horseheads, where the funeral will be held Thursday at 2:30 p.m., the Rev. Harry Malick officiating. Burial in Maple Grove Cemetery, Horseheads.

Thursday, September 10, 1942

Home Bureau Rally at the hall. Helen and I attended - not as many present as usual. Had supper first and program after. Mr. Gouton from Erin, the chief speaker - rather tiresome. Irene Horton, Joyce Dann and Barbara Dann sang several selection very nicely.

Friday, September 11, 1942

Very, very warm. Canned corn as usual - will finish tomorrow and will have 60 qts. In the cellar - some job.

Saturday, September 12, 1942

Helen took me down and she and Ted called for me on their return from city at night. Pomona Grange was held in afternoon. I composed and directed a little skit "Farmers in War Work." Had supper at 7:00 and stayed for the big meeting in the evening. Seemed good to be "out" again after a summer of hard work with no trips etc.

Newspaper Clipping: Grange Head Says Farmer is Backing War Efforts

The state Grange program is supporting the war effort 100 per cent, State Master W. J. Rich of Salem told 118 Chemung County Grangers at a meeting Saturday evening at the Horseheads Grange Hall. First and most important, he state, farmers are raising the crops necessary for victory despite the handicaps and discouragements of losing help to industry. Then, too, the agriculturalists are helping in the sale of war bonds and stamps, acting as airplane watchers, obeying blackouts, and working in the "harvest" of scrap, the Master related. He urged the setting aside of a week after harvest to bring in the vital scrap materials through the Granges with the proceeds to be used to buy bonds. Mr. Rich asked farmers to prevent accidents at this crucial time. Accidents are in greater numbers o the farms and i the homes than in industrial plants according to statistics, he declared. "Don't forget the members in the service," he reminded. "To remit the dues of service men is one of our finest contributions as it enables the soldiers on furloughs to attend meetings. Each Grange should have its service chart and dedicate it at fitting ceremonies. We should also remember to send cards to the boys in camp." Turning to Grange business affairs, the state master explained that the organization has the responsibility of representing farms and agriculture during the present emergency. In order to get support for agriculture through legislation, an increased membership is necessary. Calling for the education of the public on the true picture of farm prices, Mr. Rich pointed out that 60 per cent of the crop prices are less than top prices of last year. Figures shown that prices are below arity on many crops and far below the level of World War I on all major items. Granges are opposed to granting of subsidies for farm crops, the master explained. First because they are unjust to future generations who will have to foot the bill, and, second, because they are inflationary. Subsidies destroy initiative and reduce the output of food needed for victory, he concluded. John F. Madden, program chairman, introduced the speaker. Larry Armstrong sang several selections and a tableau on America, Land of the Free, was given under the direction of Mrs. Pauline. G. Bush.

Sunday, September 13, 1942

Newspaper Clipping: (Loomis Photo.) Mr. and Mrs. Leo T. Stevens whose marriage took place at the home of the parents of the bride, former Miss Lucille Lindsley, are shown, left, with their attendants, Miss Charlotte Lindsley, sister of the bride, and Ellwood Stevens. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P. J. Lindsley, 93 Decker Pkwy., W., Mr. and Mrs. Leo Stevens of Horseheads, RD 2, are parents of the bridegroom.

Wednesday, September 16, 1942

[The top is cut off, but I think this is what it says]

Charlie's birthday, 1877 - 65

Friday, September 18, 1942

Very hot

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Bertha Myers Dies At Home Here

At an impressive service at the Methodist Church Tuesday afternoon, final tribute was paid to the memory of Bertha Westlake Myers, who passed away Saturday afternoon, September 19, at her home on Grand Central Avenue, at the age of 81. Mrs. Myers was born just outside the village on the family farm on the Sing Sing Road, the daughter of William and Martha Westlake and the granddaughter of Abel and Hannah Shute, Quakers and prominent members of that group of early settlers which came from Orange County, New York. With the exception of two years in Van Etten directly after her marriage to Edward M. Myers in 1884, Mrs. Myers has spent her entire life in Horseheads. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Myers, but one of whom, William Westlake Myers of Horseheads, survives her. Her life, quiet and simple, was devoted to her family, church and home. She took great pleasure in aiding those in trouble and assisting those in distress and in sickness. In the early years of the village, Mrs. Myers' ancestors organized and preached in the Methodist Church, and she has continued her affiliation with that church in active service all through the years as a faithful and devoted member. When the temperance work was young, she joined the society of the W.C.T.U. and from time to time held offices in the different branches of the local and county organizations, being treasurer of the Horseheads Society at the time of her death. Besides the son, William, five grandchildren mourn her death: William W. Myers Jr., of Pitman, N.H., Mrs. Joseph Ferrialo of Brooklyn, N.Y., Richard W. Myers of Washington, D.D., Mrs. John E. Schoenhofen of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and George Stanley Myers of Columbus, Ohio. Surviving also are two great grandchildren, Thomas Edward Myers of Cleveland and Beth Ann Schoenhofen of Milwaukee.

Saturday, September 19, 1942

Still very hot. Finished the corn canning - 69 ½ gls - to help "keep the wolf from the door" next winter. Helped the boys build a dam in the p.m. to keep their "swimming hole" from running away. Charlie got his wheat ground ready for sowing.

Newspaper Clipping: Miss Lindsley Married to L. T. Stevens

At the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. P. J. Lindsley, 93 Decker Pkwy., W., Saturday, Sept. 19, 1942, at 2 p.m., Miss Lucille V. Lindsley became the bride of Leo T. Stevens, son of Mr. and Mrs. Leo Stevens of Horseheads RD 2. Gladioli and palms decorated the living rooms of the home where the service was performed by the Rev. Albert G. Cornwell, rector of The Park Church, and a large fan-shape bouquet of the same flowers was on the mantle over the fireplace. Mrs. Charlotte LaFond, aunt of the bride, sang "The Sweetest Story Ever Told" and "I Love You Truly," accompanied by Mrs. Bernard Hutchinson. The bride was given in marriage by her father and was attended by her sister, Miss Charlotte Lindsley. Gown worn by the bride was navy blue, street-length. Her accessories matched and she wore a corsage of white roses and gardenias. The bridesmaid black with white accessories and a white pompon and rose corsage. Elwood Stevens of Horseheads was the best man. About 40 were present at the reception held directly after the ceremony, following which the couple left for a few days' stay in New York City. They will reside at 801 Thompson St. upon their return. For traveling Mrs. Stevens wore a light blue suit with black accessories. Mrs. Lindsley wore a steele blue crepe dress for her daughter's wedding and Mrs. Stevens wore soldier blue. Both had gardenia corsages. The bride is a graduate of the Academy and the Elmira Business Institute and the bridegroom attended school in Horseheads. He is now employed by Hardinge Bros.

Sunday, September 20, 1942

Trip to Dundee. Cooler. Went with Harry - got grapes, tomatoes, apples and guineas. Went to Jays and then Gordon and I went over to Brimmers - saw their new baby which they are boarding or adopting or both. He quite a cute fellow and they are all "nuts" over it. The MacDougall young ladies quite cool toward their old auntie.

Newspaper Clipping: Gertrude Shope Becomes Bride

Van Etten - Gertrude Laura Shope, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Perry Shope of Horseheads, and Harold Bradley Coon, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold D. Coon of Horseheads, were united in marriage at 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 20, 1942, in the Community Methodist Church in Van Etten. They were attended by Miss Ruth Hopommer of Horseheads and Fred Coon, brother of the bridegroom. The marriage ritual was read by the Rev. Herbert E. Erway. Protestant chaplain of the Elmira Reformatory, and uncle of the bridegroom, assisted by the Rev. Earl H. Robertson, pastor of the church. Mr. and Mrs. Coon will reside in Horseheads.

Monday, September 21, 1942

[Typed letter inserted here]

I would appreciate it if you would advise me by September 23, 1942 whether you will be able and willing to continue, on the revised compensation basis, your valuable service as a member of the RR Committee. I most sincerely hope that your answer will be favorable, because in the year ahead I believe that FSA faces a challenge that demands more than ever the kind of service that you have already rendered the local FSA office.

Sincerely yours,

Lewis H. Schwartz

RR Supervisor

Tuesday, September 22, 1942

Frost - no damage. Charlie started combining buckwheat on the Samson's hill farm.

Wednesday, September 23, 1942

Little frost - no damage

Day on F.S.A. Helen, Charlie, Gordon and I went to the city. Charlie went to look at tires which were advertised on Hendy Ave. and which he bought four of them. Helen got her new coat and they went home. I wandered about, did a little shopping - got Gordon a little corduroy coat etc. Ate dinner at Newbery's and went up to the F.S.A. meeting - a program planning for ensuing year. Met Ted at corner of Church and Lake and came home with him.

Thursday, September 24, 1942

Sick all day. Helen attended a bee at the hall for purpose of cleaning the kitchen and dining room.

Newspaper Clipping: Orin J. Sears

Orin J. Sears, 84, died at 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 24, at his home on the old Corning road, after an extended illness. Mr. Sears had spent most of his life in Chemung County and has resided on the farm where he died, for the past 40 years. He was a Past Noble Grand of Horseheads Lodge, IOOF, a former director of the Farmers Reliance Insurance Company, a past deputy of Chemung County Grange, a member of the Horseheads Grange and a member of the Horseheads Methodist Church. He is survived by his wife; a son, Rev. Henry C. Sears of Watkins Glen; three daughters, Mrs. George Westlake, Mrs. Theodore E. Stow and Mrs. Byron Ross all of Horseheads; eight grandchildren and two great grandchildren; a brother, Myron Sears of Mecklenburg. The funeral was held Sunday at 3:30 p.m. at the family home. The Rev. Herbert J. Gordon officiated. Burial was in Maple Grove Cemetery.

Friday, September 25, 1942

Harder frost - some leaves on some of the corn slightly touched.

Sunday, September 27, 1942

Orin Sears Funeral. Rained most of the day. Charlie and I attended Mr. Sears funeral. A very disagreeable day. The flowers very beautiful - 31 large pieces being displayed. Mrs. Sears bearing very well.

Monday, September 28, 1942

Very hard frost and froze ice. Corn some frosted.

Wednesday, September 30, 1942

Cutting ensilage corn under difficulties. Very muddy and corn very tall.

Special Data:

Kindling Wood

By Mary Elizabeth Counselman

Jared courted Aunt Cecile

Fourteen years, they say,

(Crow's-feet round her patient eyes;

Temples touched with gray.)

Aunt Cecily wept at night;

Granny caught her once.

"All that Jared needs," she said,

"Is kindling wood, you dunce!

"Oak will give a steady flame,

Once you get it lit.

Cook your vittles, thaw your heart

By the warmth of it.

Nothing wrong with oak to burn,

Once it's lighted good,

But to fire an oaken log,

You need some kindling wood!"

Aunt Cecily faced about;

Caught another beau.

(Roses in her sallow cheeks;

Patient eyes aglow.)

Aunt Cecily laughed and blushed.

Jared blinked his eyes;

Seized her hand and said the words,

Much to his surprise.

"Oak will give a steady flame,

Once you start the blaze."

But fourteen years is quite a spell

Of chilly nights and days.

What our Granny didn't know --

Though you'd think she should!--

Was how Aunt Cecile would warm

To quick bright kindling wood.

Thursday, October 1, 1942

All set for a heavy date Donald Perry Esq. our star boarder. His car awaits.

Friday, October 2, 1942

Mr. Perry left us. He was sent back to the Binghamton medical center to do some road grading. May be back in a couple of weeks. Harry bargained with telegram man to take over the route around here - 160 telegrams and many other papers.

Saturday, October 3, 1942

Filled the silo. Had eight men for dinner. Those helping were: Gerald, Donald, Herb Rosencrans, Marshall Conklin, Stanley and Ernie Benjamin. Came out even - silo full - corn all in except piece on hill which will be used for refilling.

Sunday, October 4, 1942

Rained all day. Every body helping Harry to get his route of papers attended to. Ted and Helen went on the truck up Ridge and delivered. Walter and Harry did Middle Road and I went with him from here. Cayuta, Alpine, Kayutaville, via Mecklenburg and Odessa back about 8:00 when we got back.

Tuesday, October 6, 1942

Shower for Cerelia Vary. Mrs. Charles Vary trying to start for herself and two babies after Charles' death on a widow's pension rented four rooms in Odessa so we who admired her courage and knowing her needs - ten of us gave her a shower. Took our super and gifts of food and useful articles. She so grateful. Had the swellest time.

Saturday, October 10, 1942

Pomona Grange at Veteran. Grange met in p.m. - had election etc. Had supper at 7:30. Helen came down for supper and evening. She elected County Juvenile Deputy. Home very late and very tired.

Sunday, October 11, 1942

Went with Harry again. A beautiful day so I enjoyed the trip more - we changed the route leaving off the Mecklenburg loop so we got thro' earlier and increased the customers by eight. Helen left at 12:00 for New York to attend the Grand Chapter meeting. Met Mrs. Decker who grows cactus and looked over her stock and bo't a couple.

Wednesday, October 14, 1942

Lily and I took a little trip. Took our car and went over to Odessa. I took a basket of eggs and received .48 per doz. At the grocery store. Did some business at the P.O. and then drove over to Alpine and called on a woman who is growing cactus - hundreds of them. I bought a big one covered with red spines. Lily stayed down and helped me write the C.C.N.G.A. cards - had a nice day.

Thursday, October 15, 1942

Another picture of our boarder Mr. Edgecombe of Binghamton.

Friday, October 16, 1942

Helen arrived home at 12:00 - very tired and satisfied with her stay in the big city.

Saturday, October 17, 1942

Helen and Lily went to give blood for the army use - Helen found she was anemic so had no blood to donate. Charlie went to Millport all day on assessor work.

Monday, October 19, 1942

Went to Horseheads in the morning - took eggs received .48 for large and .87 for pullets. Had my hair cut at Dilmores. We went calling in the p.m. - Van Duzers, Co. Turners, Wheelers and Roemelts. In the evening Charlie and I went with the Benjamins to the Farm Bureau committee meeting and supper in Horseheads Grange hall. Had a swell evening. It was also C.C.N.G.A but had to miss that. Menu: roast beef, potatoes and gravy, carrots and peas, cabbage salad, rolls, pickles, pumpkin pie and cheese. Had nice visits with Mrs. Van Duzer, Hollenbeck, Linderbery, Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes.

Thursday, October 22, 1942

Charlie traded his old threshing machine for a 1929 Dodge sedan in pretty good condition. Helen and Ted went to Dr. - he low blood pressure and she got iron tablets for her anemia.

Saturday, October 24, 1942

Newspaper Clipping: Jackie, one year old son of Mr. And Mrs. Stanley Benjamin of Ridge Road, Horseheads. Mrs. Benjamin was the former Miss Helen Lentz of Elmira.

Sunday, October 25, 1942

Aunt Lute had a stroke.

Newspaper Clipping: Horse Show Attracts Large Crowd

One Hundred Horses take Part in 15 Events - Cody, Roselawn Stars

Hundreds of people flocked to the Cornish Stock Farms on the Pine City Rd. Sunday afternoon for the Elmira Victory Horse Show, in which more than 100 vicinity horses participated. The show was held in 15 events, with all classes well filled, the horses competing for trophies and prizes donated by merchants of the Southern Tier and Northern Pennsylvania. Judges were Mrs. C. D. Tinker of Ithaca, saddle horses; Robert P. Mage of Horseheads, hunters and jumpers; Colin Storrs of Roseville, Western classes. The show was sponsored and promoted by Philip W. Thomas and Harold L. Cornish. Feature of the show was the close competition between Cody, owned and ridden by Joe Nelson of Elmira, and Roselawn Star, owned by Dr. T. R. Murdock and ridden by his son, Theodore R. Murdock Jr., in the hunters and jumping events. Cody nosed out the Murdock horse, winning three events to Roselawn Star's two. The largest number of entries, 16 horses, competed in the fast and furious musical stalls event, a horseback version of old parlor game, "Marching to Jerusalem." Bennie, ridden by its owner, Miss Jean Glover of Lindley, won after two ties with the second place horse, Carolyn, also ridden by the owner, Miss Lorrain Lovell of Sullivanville. Miss Glover, who recently bought a horse at Niagara Falls and rode it home, rode from Lindley to the site of Sunday's meet, leading another horse. The next largest class was for polo horses, which drew 14 entries. Ronald Lovell of Sullivanville with an old polo pony, Mirage, as his mount closely outpointed his daughter, Lorraine, on Carolyn in the event, which called for riding with neck rein between posts 18 feet apart and quick turns, as in the game. Murray Turner's Bill and Leon May's Spot hard pressed the first and second place winners.

The Samsons, Charlie and I attended. Stayed all p.m. and enjoyed every minute of it. A nice crowd and very well entrants on all classes.

Monday, October 26, 1942

Rained all day which changed to snow and this continued till the ground had quite a covering. Green alfalfa north of the house raked into wind rows then covered with snow.

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Charles Phillips

Mrs. Charles Phillips, 84, died at the home of her niece in Lockport Tuesday, October 27 after an illness of only a few days. She was born on Hollister street in this village September 2, 1858, the daughter of Maxwell and Lucy Green Rhoda. Maxwell Rhoda was a merchant in a Dundee boot and shoe store, known as Rhoda, Green and Knapp. The store was the one now occupied by the Kleckler Super Market. She was married to Charles Phillips and lived on the Phillips' farm adjoining the present Charles Brown farm in Beartown. Mr. Phillips died unexpectedly and the Mrs. Phillips went to Lockport where she lived with her sister. Later she lived at the home of her niece, Mrs. John Day. She is survived by several nieces and nephews and by a cousin, Mrs. Nellie Dykes of this village. The funeral was held in Lockport and burial was in Hillside cemetery last Thursday.

Tuesday, October 27, 1942

Aunt Lute passed away without regaining consciousness.

From the four children at Lockport

Wednesday, October 28, 1942

Rec'd phone call from Mrs. Sebring telling of Aunt Lute's death. Went to a committee meeting for the purpose of planning Pomona Grange supper held at Moshers. Those present Ollie, Ruth, Mrs. Conklin, Lily, Mrs. W. Storch and Mrs. Corense.

Thursday, October 29, 1942

Aunt Lute's Burial Service at Dundee at 1:30. We started at 11:00. Went to Theodora's a few minutes - them up to the cemetery - was there when the Days arrived and dear little Aunt Lutie. They had the casket opened and she looked so nice and so natural. Val and Edith Bob and wife and cousin Mame came thro' - Several Dundee friends also there. She 84 on Sept. 2. Farm Bureau, H-B and 4-H rally banquet at H-H hall. Charlie and I went again with Ernie and Ollie. Had a very swell evening. 219 present and we all ate together. A fine program with special singing and a fine speaker.

Friday, October 30, 1942

Helena and Annabel went to town to get Xmas presents for the Granges soldier boys. I went along - got upholstering to do over the davenport and chair.

Newspaper Clipping: Chemung

Chemung - Miss Ruth Mary Tompkins, daughter of Mrs. Ida Tompkins and the late Albert Tompkins of Owens Mills, and Lt. Clifford W. Straitor Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford W. Straitor of Mt. Clemens, Mich., were married Oct. 31, 1942, at the Methodist parsonage here by the Rev. C. C. Townsend. They were attended by the brother and sister-in-law of the bride, Mr. and Mrs. William Tompkins. After a short trip to Mt. Clemens, Mich., Lt. Straitor returned to his camp at Fort Munroe, Va. Mrs. Straitor will leave soon to join him. Mrs. Ida Tompkins gave a shower for the bride at her home Nov. 5.

Saturday, October 31, 1942

Mary Day wedding day. Nice warm and sunny.

Newspaper Clipping: Attractive Wedding is Performed Before Fireplace

Baskets of baby chrysanthemums shading from a delicate pink to a deep red were placed with palms on either side of the fireplace in the First Presbyterian Church parlor for the marriage of Miss Mary Catherine Day, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John V. Day of 139 Grand St., to Stanley E. Walker, son of Mr. and Mrs. Franklin J. Walker, 115 Grant St. Similar flowers were arranged on the mantle and in each window. The ceremony was performed Saturday at 5 o'clock, Dr. Stephen E. Palmer, minister of the church, officiating. Mrs. Robert C. Bishop played piano music preceding the ceremony and the Wedding March. Miss E. Joan Humann, soloist, sang "I Love You Truly" and "Because."

Bride Wears Dove Blue

The bride wore a dove blue wool dress with gathered bodice, softly draped skirt and three-quarter length sleeves. The bodice was ornamented with jeweled buttons. With it she wore a cranberry red hat and shoes. Her corsage of white orchids was tied with white satin ribbon. Miss Betty Jane Dean, maid of honor, wore a rose, beige wool dress with American Beauty accessories. She wore white camellias. Robert E. Nagel was best man and ushers were Richard E. Day, brother of the bride and Charles M. Lansom, cousin of the bride. Mrs. Day wore a purple dress trimmed with gold and Mrs. Walker wore a black shear with touches of pale blue. Both wore corsages of mixed flowers.

Informal Reception

An informal reception in the church parlor followed the ceremony. Later a dinner for the immediate families and bridal party was served at the Park Hotel, where the bridal table was centered with the bride's cake flanked by ivory tapers in crystal holders. Fall flowers were attractively arranged throughout the room. Mr. and Mrs. Walker left for a short eastern trip and after their return will reside at 139 Grand St. Pre-nuptial events included: A red and white kitchen shower given by Miss June Mullett of South Transit Street; a blue and white bedroom shower given by Miss Dean and a blue and white bathroom shower given by Mrs. Gordon Sheriff of Hartland.

Special Data:

Air awful fall. Rained all the time. Many, many fields of alfalfa, oats and corn still not cut. No one able to get their potatoes with diggers. Charlie digging with fork hoping to be able to get enough for our own use. Price soaring all the time -

Apples $1.50 - 2.00

Grapes .075 - .08

Eggs .48 - .50

Butter .50 - .52

Sunday, November 1, 1942

Rained again all day. Cleared off in p.m. and Ted took us for a ride over near Van Etten to see about a sale advertising a single harness - on Newfield road. A nice ride over new territory.

Monday, November 2, 1942

Charlie and Johnson Little went to Millport on assessing board. I rode down with them and spent the day at John MacDougalls' - had a wonderful visit. Heard about all the "doins" of our distant relatives.

Tuesday, November 3, 1942

Election Day. Charlie, Harry and I went to vote before dinner. Election proved a sweeping Republican victory. Dewey elected governor - the first Rep. governor in 20 years. A nice day. Men dug potatoes in p.m. Can get only a few bu. in ½ day as they have to be all dug out of huge cakes of mud.

Saturday, November 7, 1942

Sale near Cayuta at Strongs (Katharine MacDougalls Aunt's farm). Charlie, Helen, Gordon and I attended (looking for a milk cooler). I bought a job lot of old dishes and flower crocks and an antique picture frame. Saw Catharine and Earl - had a lot of fun. Did not get home until quite late.

Sunday, November 8, 1942

Charlie and I home all day alone. The first Sun. dinner we had eaten alone in years! Had clam pancakes and sweet potatoes and frozen crushed pineapple for dessert. Some dinner.

Monday, November 9, 1942

Mrs. Anna Van Duzer's Birthday Party. Helen and I attended. Had a wonderful afternoon. She received many gifts of plants, flower containers, candy, soap, etc. Had ice cream wafers and birthday cake. Those present were: Helen Turner, Florence Roy, Ellen Saunders, Martha Sunders, Olive Benjamin, Ruth Mosher, Elizabeth Conklin, Ola Chappell, Emma Billings, Helen Samson, Bernice MacDougall, Emma Banks.

Wednesday, November 11, 1942

A Special Dairymen's League Meeting. Ernie and Ollie went with us. Meeting for the purpose of voting to give directors more powers but developed into a fiery Republican rally. Ollie and I did a little shopping runs and linoleum runner at Sheehe's - went to the Mohican later for bread etc.

Friday, November 13, 1942

18°. An afternoon for F.S.A. at Billings. Ted and Helen went to city to put in his application at H-H Project and they went via Middle Road and I rode down. Did by best on their farm and home plan for next year. Mrs. Emma Banks suffered a severe cerebral hemorrhage also heard that Florence Stowe had another hard stroke. Very cold and windy.

Saturday, November 14, 1942

Pomona Harvest Festival at hall. Lily and I went down early and made the salad. I stayed all day. Had a swell dinner but not too large a crowd. Menu: baked ham, potatoes, squash, fancy gelatin salad, rolls, coffee, cranberry jelly, pumpkin or mince pie. State lecturer Mrs. Kellar presented. Spaulding bakery sponsored movies. A very enjoyable evening.

Sunday, November 15, 1942

The annual Pomona Grange Harvest Supper was held Saturday evening, Nov. 14, at Veteran Grange Hall. A delicious supper was served under the direction of Mrs. Frank Crounse. After the supper all gathered in the auditorium where a program was given by Mrs. Leah Hamilton, Pomona Lecturer. "Modern Miracles," a moving picture, was presented by Mr. Kirby and Mr. Hall from Spaulding Bakery. A game was led by Ernest C. Grant. Mrs. Helen Keller, Lecturer of New York State Grange, gave a very interesting talk. She said that more groups are joining to gain good for the farmer. All farmers should be Grangers. Attendance at Grange meetings is just as important as a patriotic duty. Farmers should be constantly on the alert for John L. Lewis or those who are connected with him. He is constantly watching Granges where there is small attendance to get a start. She urged that all members cooperate with the Lecturer 100%. Grange is a place where problems are thought over. When the war is over we won't be as we were before. Come to Grange and bring your neighbor. A very beautiful picture was presented to Horseheads Grange for the only Grange of the County to complete a scrapbook of activities of the Grange. The meeting was closed by saluting the flag and singing, "God Bless America" led by Miss Cornelia Moyer. The Pomona bread contest was held. Judges were Mrs. Harry Relyea and Miss Nina Personius. Prizes were awarded: First prize, Mrs. Carrie Hammond, Big Flats Grange; 2nd prize, Mrs. Maude Bush, Sullivanville; 3rd prize, Mrs. Colie Breese, Seeley Creek; 4th prize, Miss Helen Hartman, Chemung Valley.

Monday, November 16, 1942

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Emma Banks

Mrs. Emma Cole Banks, 75, of the Town of Veteran, died Monday, November 16, at 1:20 a.m. Survivors include a son, Jesse Banks for the Town of Veteran; a brother, Bert cole of Montour Falls; two grandchildren, Arthur Banks and Ruth Banks of the Town of Veteran; two nephews, Ralph Cole of Montour Falls and Merton Cole of Elmira. The body was taken to the Van Buskirk funeral home and from there removed to the family home where the funeral is being held this afternoon at 2:30. the Rev. C. Raymond Allington will officiate and burial will be in Hilltop Cemetery, Millport.

Tuesday, November 17, 1942

Family Life Lesson at H-B office - Miss Kuhn. Helen took me down also Walter for dental inspection.

Wednesday, November 18, 1942

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Hattie Scott

Mrs. Hattie Scott, 91, of Veteran died at the home of her son, Clarence F. Scott, Wednesday, November 18, 1942. Survivors include her son, three grandchildren, Mrs. Lawrence Packard of Russell, Pa., Mrs. Frank Packard of Millport, and Lawrence Scott of Horseheads; four great-grandchildren. The body is at the Van Buskirk funeral home and will be removed to the family home Friday morning. The funeral will be held there Saturday at 2:30 p.m. The Rev. Earl Robertson of Van Etten, assisted by Rev. Charles A. Smith of Millport, will officiate. Burial in Pine Valley.

Thursday, November 19, 1942

Emma Banks Funeral. Charlie and Harry bearers. We three attended. Helen at a H-B meeting at Wegsterns in H-H. Gordon visited school during the funeral. Quite a large attendance and very beautiful floral pieces. Warm and sunny as summer.

From the Grange basket.

Saturday, November 21, 1942

The men butchered our first hog - weighed 315. Gerald helped. A cold windy day.

Sunday, November 22, 1942

Went with Harry on his paper route. Stopped at Mrs. Deckers and got two new cacti to take to Grace - also picked her a winter bouquet from my favorite beauty. Stopped a the bridge on outlet of Kayutah Lake. A nice bright day with beautiful cloud formation. Rain soon.

Newspaper Clipping: Rebecca Conklin, A.F. Carrier Married

In a service attended by members of the immediate families, Miss Rebecca Jane Conklin and Alan F. Carrier were married by the Rev. Herbert Gordon at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 22, 1942, in the Horseheads Methodist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Frank E. Conklin of the Ridge Rd., Horseheads, are parents of the bride and the bridegroom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Carrier, 808 Westlake St., Horseheads. Mrs. Howard M. Clark, twin sister of the bride was matron-of-honor and Richard Carrier was his brother's best man. Both the bride and bridegroom are graduates of the Horseheads High School. She graduated in 1942 from the Arnot-Ogden Hospital School for Nurses where she is now a member of the staff. Mr. Carrier has been employed at the Eclipse and expects to enter military service soon.

Monday, November, 23, 1942

Went to Elmira in morning (6:15). Went to Alveda's and visited with Aunt Lou until 10:45. Went to 4-H office for a minute man conference with Miss Moyer. She and I ate together and I went to H-13 office to compose a radio skit in conjunction with Miss Runey and Mrs. Lewis Van Duzer. Went to library at 4:00 and looked at odd magazines until time for Ted - a full day.

Thursday, November 26, 1942

All of us in Ted's car. Started about 9:00 for our Thanksgiving dinner at Graces. Took some longer since the speed limit of 35 has been established. Took roast pork for the dinner. Fishels all well and expecting us. Had a swell dinner with all the trimmin's. Gordon and I stayed down. Began to get very lame in evening then remembered I had taken a real tumble in the bathroom the night before.

Friday, November 27, 1942

My Limping Shopping Tour. Did not sleep much all night with my sprained leg. Could hardly raise my foot but decided I would go down town just as we had planned - managed it with lots of pain - did not take much interest in shopping - more concerned with walking - much better in the evening and slept well.

Saturday, November 28, 1942

Went Shopping again. Feeling quite normal again so enjoyed shopping today. Virgil took us down town and we came back on the bus. Did quite a little of my shopping.

Sunday, November 29, 1942

Visit with Lizzie. Grace invited Lizzie and her granddaughter over for dinner so had a nice visit with her. Snowed most of the day. They went home quite early, Virg went to work, Marian to young people's meeting and Grace and I spent the evening visiting. Stopped storming in the evening.

Monday, November 30, 1942

Trip Home on Train. Fishels took us to the train - such a mob getting on and off train. Some different than a couple of years ago. Found a seat with a traveling man - had a pleasant visit. Gordon very much thrilled with his first train ride. Waited at the Elmira station till Ted came from work.

Tuesday, December 1, 1942

Annual Farm and Home Bureau Meeting at Horseheads. Helen, Gordon and I attended Col. Blaine, who is in charge of the Horseheads project, gave the address of the morning. Had lunch served by Canteen Ladies Soldier Fashion - stew, coffee, fried cakes. The afternoon session very interesting. Came home quite early.

Monday, December 7, 1942

Helen left for State Grange at Syracuse in company with Crounses, Will Storchs' and Miss Moyer from 4-H office.

Thursday, December 10, 1942

Radio Talk at 9:30. Did some stepping around to get work done and make it in time. Charlie took me, Gordon went with us till we met Harry. I stopped at Grange Hall for H.B. Gave lesson I on Family Life in p.m.

[Handwritten note inserted here]

Dundee, N.Y. R.P. 1

Dec. 10 - 1942

Dear Berneice:

Congratulations my dear cousin! I was at the Radio this morning at 9 o'clock - didn't want to miss one word. I heard you very distinctly. It was so good to hear your voice once more and to know that thousands of others could be encouraged to not give up the children's Christmas, by your voice, altho' there is so much trouble and sorrow because of this war - by your well chosen words of what He would have us to do, and never give up. It was indeed a great privilege and pleasure for me to hear you over the radio. I'm proud of you as my cousin. Some time will you please send me the poem or copy of it rather? I was so intent on "listening" that I might not lose one word of your carefully worded talk that I did not copy it as you recited it. I'd like it to put in my year book on the page where I will make record of it all. Thank you so much for

Friday, December 11, 1942

Grange Installation. Ted took us down - boys and I. The Moshers did the job. Had picnic supper. Helen got home from Syracuse in time to attend. Gave a report of the session.

Saturday, December 12, 1942

My Sixtieth Birthday. Receive on present from Helen - lovely 7th Grange pendant with neck chain, also a card and beautiful handkerchief from Martha Saunders.

From the greeting card sent by my old pal Lulu.

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Della Hollenbeck, 89, of E. Franklin St., Horseheads, died Saturday morning, Dec. 12, 1942. Survivors: A daughter, Mrs. Claudia Rumsey of Ithaca; a son, Jedd L. of Horseheads; three grandchildren; six great-grandchildren. Funeral Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the family home. The Rev. H. E. Malick. Scotchtown Cemetery, near Breesport.

Wednesday, December 16, 1942

Mrs. Irene Rhodes entertained some Veteran ladies in honor of Mavis' birthday. Many who were invited could not go. Lily and Mrs. Conklin went with us. Went quite early and did some shopping. Florence Rose took Martha Saunders and Ola Chappell. Had a wonderful dinner - Mrs. Rhodes furnishing meat and potatoes - our load made a mixed salad and scalloped corn, others cake and jello. Had a very pleasant afternoon. Mavis' little Rita a cute pretty little tot. A dark cold day - threatening storm all day.

Thursday, December 17, 1942

Libby was not feeling well while at her work at the dry cleaning store and sent for her helper and was dead when the other woman arrived.

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Elizabeth Stone, 69, died unexpectedly Thursday, Dec. 17, 1942, at her home in Montour Falls. She was a member of the Montour Falls Methodist Church. Survivors: A daughter, Mrs. Alice Harrison of Delevan, N.Y.; a grandson, Douglas Harrison, and a sister, Mrs. Harriet Sterling of Montour Falls. The funeral will be held Saturday at 2:30 p.m. at the family home. The Rev. Roy Smyers will officiate. Burial in Montour Falls Cemetery.

Saturday, December 19, 1942

Libbie Stone's funeral. A cold raw day with slippery roads. Harry, Charlie and I went. Poor Hattie a wreck with no home and no place to go. Alice very disagreeable to her. We stayed with her while the rest went to the grave.

Sunday, December 20, 1942

12° below. Christmas dinner at Brimmers. A very cold morning. Charlie went with the milk and Harry on his paper route. Dunking buckets frozen pipes busted etc. so Charlie couldn't go to the party. Ted helped him until 11:00 and then we started for Dundee. Had a nice time. Pitchers not there. The children had a nice time together. Came home quite early. Seneca lake steaming like a kettle of hot mush. It was hidden in a frosty fog in the morning.

Monday, December 21, 1942

Home Bureau Christmas Party at Van Duzers. Helen and I attended. Still quite cold and slippery. Small attendance. Martha Saunders prepared the refreshments - velvet salad, crackers, tea and cookies. I drew a pretty vase. Had a wonderful time. Such a lovely sight as their house was as we left - all covered with sparkling snow, Xmas three lights shining out, window decorated as the guests left like a handsome Xmas card. Went to Elmira to finish shopping. Marian and Harry went with us.

Thursday, December 24, 1942

Expected Fishels and about 9:00 received a phone call saying they couldn't come till Mon. so we didn't have to hurry. Had our tree and presents in the evening. Every body will remember.

Friday, December 25, 1942

The Samsons went to Cortland and Amel helped our men butcher a pig. Not a very exciting Xmas day for us.

Saturday, December 26, 1942

The Grange Xmas Party. Mrs. Georgia put on a part of her program and Joan Roemelt put on a pageant. Helen was announcer and I narrator. A very good attendance. Had popcorn, popcorn balls, grapes, apples and tangerines, cookies and candy. Did not get home until 12:00.

Monday, December 28, 1942

The Fishels came at 11:00. A rainy day. Had dinner and then the big Xmas dinner at night and the tree. They brought us all such nice things. Rained some during the night.

Newspaper Clipping: [FOLDED - cannot read article]

Tuesday, December 29, 1942

Rainy morning - did not freeze so the Fishels had not too bad weather to return in. They took eggs, beans and some fresh pork. Had a wonderful time as always. Rained all night. Quite warm.

Newspaper Clipping: Obituary

Matthew J. Lewis, 54, of Millport died unexpectedly Sunday, Dec. 27, 1942, at 5:30 p.m. at an Elmira hospital after a brief illness. He was a supervisor of the Town of Veteran for five years. Born in Millport, he was a resident there all his life. Survivors: three sisters, Mrs. John H. Hayes of Millport, Mrs. N. J. Hoffman of Albany and Miss Agnes Lewis of Schenectady. The body is at the Haughey Funeral Home, Watkins Glen, and will be removed to the family home Monday night. Funeral arrangements are incomplete.

Funeral at Lady of the Lakes Church in Watkins at 11:30 Thursday.

Newspaper Clipping: Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Hermann, 42, of Ithaca, died Tuesday, Dec. 29, 1942, at the home of Mr. Ernest Winton of Catharine. Survivors: Husband, Ray John Hermann; sons, Lewis Ray, Ernest Roy, Keith Malone; a daughter, Elsie Jean; a sister, Mrs. Ray Miller of Ithaca; a brother, Francis Wilson of Elmira; her mother, Mrs. John Robinson of Syracuse. The body is at the Horton Funeral Chapel, Odessa. Funeral at the home of Ernest Winton, Catharine, Saturday.

Wednesday, December 30, 1942

Poured all day! Ted went thro' very deep flood waters down by Horseheads on his way to work. Many reports over the radio of impassable roads. Parts of Elmira badly flooded. Storm changed to snow at 4:00 and snowed furiously until 8:00 - quite an accumulation. A bad night with high winds.

Thursday, December 31, 1942

The last day of the old year. Canned meat and tried out lard most of the day.