|
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford
County PA
|
|
|
|
Postcard from Marolyn CAMPBELL Cole
|
|
|
|
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in
Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by
TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette
Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE
HISTORY of Tioga and
Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben,
Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND
CITIES"
|
ULSTER TOWNSHIP
Ulster was one of the original townships and was
formed previous to the organization of Bradford county. It is bounded on
the north by Athens, on the east, by the Susquehanna river, on the south, by
North Towanda and Burlington, on the west by Smithfield and Burlington. It
is situated on the west bank of the Susquehanna, embracing some very fertile and
productive lands upon the river flats, and fine grazing and dairy farms upon the
uplands. Ulster, a village in the township, on the line Lehigh Valley
railroad, is located upon the site of an ancient Indian village. Milan is
a village also upon the line of the railroad and a station.
The early settlers were Captain Benjamin Clark,
Nathaniel Hovey, Solomon Tracy, Adriel Simons, Eli Holcomb, Capt. Isaac Cash,
David Cash, Abram Parmeter, Chester Bingham, Osias Bingham, W. Rice, Elijah
Granger, Thomas Overton, Abraham Brokaw, Leonard Westbrook, Joseph C. Powell,
Joseph Smith, Lockwood Smith, Ezekiel Curry, Ezekiel Curry Jr., Abraham Minier,
William Lockery, Joseph Lockery, Jeduthan Simons, Peter McAuley, George A.
VanDyke, Simons C. Hovey.
--An epidemic fever prevailed in Ulster in 1803.
--Captain Benjamin Clark, Adriel Simons, Solomon
Tracey and Captain Isaac Cash, were early settlers of Ulster and did service in
the revolutionary war.
--Great flood in the Susquehanna, in 1786.
--Lorin Kingsbury taught the first school in
Ulster.
--Eli Holcomb built the first saw mill in Ulster,
in 1817.
--Captain Benjamin Clark built the first house in
Ulster, in 1785.
--Capt. Benjamin Clark, was the first permanent
settler of Ulster in 1785.
--Five-hundred shad were caught at a single haul
with a seine, in the river at Ulster in 1810.
--Old Sheshquin was the original name of Ulster.
Ulster was named by the Susquehanna Land Company.
--The Pennsylvania, New York Canal Railroad, now
under the control of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, was constructed through
Ulster in 1868.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June 25,
1999