The History Center on Main Street


61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Community History & Genealogy


Schools - Bradford County, Pennsylvania


Souvenir School Booklets
Troy Township Page
School: Troy Academy 1842-1867
Township: Troy Township, Bradford County PA
Troy Gazette-Register
Year: 1960 photo
Submitted by Paul Newell
Photo of The Troy Academy]
A Troy Institution of education from 1842 to 1867, as it looked in January 1960.

“The Old Academy”

The two-story building, built in 1840 by James Riddle, under the direction of Colonel Pomeroy, was known then as “The Troy Academy”. It became incorporated in 1842 and it witnessed a succession of illustrious teachers and educators and matriculated many prominent Trojans.

The first principal was the Rev. Freeman Lane, an Episcopal clergyman. For some time it received aid from the state, but this was not its only means of support. Its chief revenue was derived from the tuition paid by the students. An old diary listed the tuition at $1.50 a month for a student.

It ceased to be a center of education in 1867 because of the projection of graded school education, enabling students to receive their education at more central places of education.

As most of the Academy students were absorbed by the advent of the graded schools, the school closed its doors and “The Troy Academy” was sold to private owners. It was then called “The Old Academy”.

The absence of records prevents accurate tracing of the ownership of the building and property. However, the late Pat Ballard said his grandmother, Mrs. Dorr S. Kenyon, purchased “Old Academy” about 1910.

It was sold to Charles Severance, a jeweler and former employee of Frank L. Ballard, who operated a jewelry store in Troy for many years. Frank was the father of Pat.

When Severance died late in 1959, the building and property were acquired by C. Dixxon Avery. The Averys tore the “Old Academy” down and built the house in which they reside today.