The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Two Hundred Thirty One
Deborah JUDGE Spencer typed up these 1839 obits and articles for us - August 2006

Mr. Cassatt

An account of the proceedings in both houses upon the announcement of this melancholy event may be found in a subsequent column. The Keystone of the 27th ult. Says: Mr. Cassat was in his seat yesterday; participated in the debates, and retired at night in usual health. About eleven o’clock to-day he was found dead in his bed, lying apparently as he had disposed himself to slumber; intelligence of this was immediately communicated to the crowded auditory in the senate by the speaker, which produced deep sensation, and awakened emotions that seemed to subdue all party feeling. The usual testimonials of respect for the deceased were adopted in the legislature. (Thursday, January 3, 1893, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Robert Furlong, Jr.

Doubtless all our readers remember well the trial of Richard P. Robinson, for the murder of Ellen Jewett, and equally well the individual whose name heads this paragraph, was a most material witness for the accused, he having proved an alibi in the case. In October last, he took passage on board the brig Wixford, Captain Munday, for Porto Cabello, and on the third day out, he began to evince symptoms of aberation of the mind, evidently the presages or an attack of delirium tremens. While in this situation, he would mutter incoherent sentences about Robinson and Ellen Jewett, and as his paroxisms increased in violence, his conduct grew more outrageous, and his constant exclamations were that Ellen Jewett was before him. He got on deck, and could not be persuaded to come below, declaring that Ellen was in the cabin concealed. As the attack subdued, he became more calm, and while sane, stated to one of the officers of the vessel, and a fellow passenger, a physician, that when on the trial, he swore to the fact of Robinson being in his store on the night of the murder, he believed it as firmly as that he lived, and would have sworn to the same thing again, but that now he was perfectly convinced that such was not the fact, and that he was innocent of any evil intention. On the second day his malady grew worse, and it was proposed to confine him, but he perched himself upon the gunwale of the vessel, and declared if any one approached him he would jump overboard. After several attempts to induce him to come inboard, he sprang into the sea, and a tub and ropes were at once thrown him, but he sank without attempting to reach them. A seaman on board the vessel then seized a piece of plank and jumped overboard, rescued the unfortunate man, but by the time he was got on board, life was extinct, but all attempts to resusciate him proved vain. The next day the body was committed to the deep, with due solemnity.--Sat. News. (Tioga Eagle, Thursday, January 3, 1839, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Joseph Butler

In Delmar township, on the morning of the 5th instant, of the dropsy on the heart, Mr. Joseph Butler, in the 66th year of his age. (Tioga Eagle, Thursday, January 17, 1839, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

William Derbyshire

In this borough, on the 7th inst., in the 4th year of his age, William, son of Mr. T. Derbyshire. (Tioga Eagle, Thursday, January 17, 1839, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Col. Anthony Crockett

Col. Anthony Crockett, whose recent death at Frankfort, Ky has been announcd in the public prints, was a native of Virginia. He took a very active part in the war of the revolution, and afterwards in the Indian warfare of the West. In the last war with Great Britain he also participated, in connexion with the Kentucky volunteers that invaded Canada, and was present at the battle of the Thames.---At Saratoga, in the war of the revolution, he assisted, says the Washington Globe, in taking a fine brass cannon, which was subsequently regained by the British in the last war, at the surrender of Hull at Detroit. Col. Crockett was present on the Thames at the recapture of this cannon from the British, and as a sort of memorial, it was committed by Governor Shelby to the artillery company of the county in which Col. Crockett resided. (Tioga Eagle, Thursday, January 17, 1839, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Lucretia Kimball

In this borough, on the morning of the 18th inst., of a lingering illness, Mrs. Lucretia Kimball, consort of Mr. James Kimball, aged about fifty years. (Thursday, January 24, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Grant

Death of Mrs. Grant.--The Edinburg papers announce the death, on the 7th of November, in the 84th year of her age, of Mrs. Anne Grant, of Laggan, widow of the Rev. James Grant, Minister of Laggan, Invernessshire. Mrs. Grant was a remarkable woman. She was the daughter of an officer in the British army, serving in the American colonies before the war of the revolution. For several years she was domesticated in the Schuyler family, in Albany, or rather for the most part of the country seat of the Schuylers, in Watervliet. Portions of her time were passed in New York, and also among the gentry in the interior. She was a visitor at the mansion of Sir William Johnson, and also at the court of King Hendrick, at the Canajoharie castle. Hendrick was the last of the Mohawk ‘kings,’ so called. He fell at Lake George, under Sir William Johnson, in 1775. When the British government determined to erect a formidable fort at Oswego, Mrs. Grant, though quiet young, was with the ladies of the officers of the army who accompanied their husbands, when they cut their way through the woods from the Mohawk valley to Oswego, and afterwards gave a most interesting and picturesque account of the expedition, and their residence in the wilds of Oswego. She was yet young when she returned to Scotland--but not too young to remember what she had seen, and with whom she had been acquainted. Accordingly, after the publication of a work descriptive of Scotish scenery and manners, under the title of "Letters from the Mountains," in two volumes, she a second time appeared as an author--and a delightful author she proved herself, in the admirable work---" Memoirs of an American Lady." The subject of this memoir was Madame Schuyler, mother of General Schuyler.--N. Y. Com Adv. (Thursday, January 31, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

John A. Wharton

The death of John A. Wharton, one of the most prominent men of Texas, is announced in the Texas papers. At the last elections, Mr. Wharton was elected to the Senate. (Thursday, January 31, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)


A man named Bedford, at Erie, killed himself last week by drinking whiskey on a bet. He laid a wager with another man that he would drink a quart, which he did, and won his bet but lost his life. (Thursday, January 31, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Ebenezer Jackson

In this borough, on the 25th instant, Mr. Ebenezer Jackson, a hero of the Revolution, aged 78 years. (Thursday, January 31, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Daniel Sullivan

The end of the Drunkard.--The Worcester spy relates the particulars of a painful disaster, the consequence of rum drinking, which took place at Charlton, in that county, last Monday. In the afternoon of the day preceding, Daniel Sullivan, one of the men employed by Mr. R. G. Fairbanks, in his work upon the rail road, left his home to get something to drink. Monday afternoon about 3 o’clock he was found by the side of the road, near the boarding house, dead, with his hands and feet and face stiffened with the frost, while his body retained a measure of animal heat. He had not, therefore, been there long, as the thermometer ranged from 5 to 0 degrees above zero, through the day. The poor creature fell in the ditch, 5 or 8 feet from the centre of the travel, lying with his face against a steep bank on the wall side. There you might see, how his death struggles, his nose and face were beat against the frozen ground and stones, the decayed grass around scratched up, and the briars torn from their roots, while his hands, clenched and frozen, were found filled with snow, grass and gravel. One eye was fully open, and the frost of a severe day had fixed, in enduring form, all the contortions of his face in the same state in which the last groan of the dying man mingled itself, unheeded, with the tempest that howled around him. (Thursday, February 7, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. M’Lean (l. E. L.)

The following is the report of the Coroner’s inquest upon the body of the late Mrs. McLean, (formerly Miss Landon), whose melancholy death at Cape coast castle, Africa, has naturally caused sincere regret wherever the productions of this admired writer are known: The Coroner’s Inquest.--At an inquisition held at Cape Coast Castle, the 15th day of October, 1838, before me James Sweeney, Esq., one of her majesty’s Justices of the Peace, and others, upon view of the body of Letitia Elizabeth McLean-Emily Baily, being duly sworn, deposeth and saith--that between the hours of eight and nine in the morning of the 15th inst., the deponent having received a note addressed to Mrs. McLean, from Mr. Swanzy, went to her room for the purpose of delivering the same to her, and found some difficulty in opening the door, in consequence of Mrs. McLean having fallen against it. The deponent on entering the room, discovered Mrs. McLean lying on the floor with an empty bottle in her hand (which bottle being produced was labelled "Acid hydrocyanic, yanic, dilutum Pharm, London, 1836, medium dose, (five minims,") and quite seaseless: that ensuing this, deponent went for her husband to call Mr. McLean. She must have taken long to open the door to call and she fell. That her mistress was subject to be attacked by spasms, and was in the habit of taking occasionally a drop or two of the medicine in the bottle in water, but had not herself seen her do so more than two or three times. She (Mrs. McLean) had the spasms rather badly the previous evening, and wished to take a little of the medicine contained in the bottle to give her relief. She did not complain much this morning. Deponent was not present when her mistress was taken il; but had seen her about half an hour before when she appeared well, and made her a present, as the deponent was about leaving the coast for England. That Mrs. McLean then told the deponent to retire, and she would send for her when she wished to dress. Deponent had not seen her write this morning, but she was so employed the previous evening, when she delivered to deponent two letters for friends in England, and was affected at the thought of deponent leaving her. That when deponent saw her last she was in her usual spirits. The bottle found in Mrs. McLean’s hand was uncorked, and she (deponent) afterwards corked it, and put it aside. She could state nothing more which could throw any light on the subject. The verdict was that the death of Mrs. McLean was caused by her having incautiously taken an over-dose of Prussic acid, which it appeared she had been in the habit of using as a remedy. A letter from the Rev. Thomas Wilson, Wesley Missionary at Cape Coast Castle, states that Mrs. McLean had always appeared in excellent health and spirits when he had seen her, which was often. The editor of the London Morning Post, in republishing the letter above stated, says that he had heard the circumstance differently related--that it was henbane instead of Prussic acid, which she had been in the habit of taking before she left Europe, and that upon attempting the same dose in Africa, the enervating influence of the climate was found to have so reduced her strength that she could not endure it. Miss Landon was married last summer to Capt. Geo. McLean, Governor of Cape Coast Castle. Among her contribution from that place to the English periodicals, were the following lines: How can I but recal my friends, Whom I may see no more? Fresh from the pain it was to part---’ How could I bear the pain? Yet strong the omen in my heart, That we shall meet again. (Wednesday, February 27, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Rebecca Wetherbee

In Delmar township, on the 22d inst., after a short illness, Mrs. Rebecca Wetherbee, consort of Francis Wetherbee, aged 36 years. (Wednesday, February 27, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)


MELANCHOLY DISASTER. The Plattsburg Republican of the 2d inst. Says--"On the evening of the 25th ult. One of the most melancholy and heart-rendering accidents occurred in the town of Saranae, in this county, which it has ever fallen to our lot to record. Mr. Andrew Otis, a respectable inhabitant of that town, and his wife left their dwelling in the early part of the evening, to attend a religious meeting, about a mile and a half distant--leaving their children, four in number, (the eldest between 12 and 13, and the youngest about 3 years of age), at home. During the absence of the parents, and after the children had retired, the house took fire; and before it was discovered by the neighbors, it had made such progress as to render all attempts to extinguish it, or save the sleeping children, utterly fruitless. The wretched parents arrived only in time to witness the smouldering ruins of their late happy dwelling, in the midst of which lay the blackened and disfigured bodies of their little family. We are unable to describe the appaling spectacle that was here presented to the beholder; nor can words convey any idea of the agony of the unfortunate parents. The most stern and adamantine heart would have merited in sympathy at hearing their cries as they mingled with the noise of the crackling flames, which were consuming all that could bind them to earth. (Wednesday, February 27, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Morris Beecher

At Williamsport, on the 24th ultimate, Mr. Morris Beecher, formerly of this place, aged 30. (Wednesday, March 6, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Louisa & Ellen Price, Mr. Benson & Mr. Harris

INFAMOUS VILLAINY AND TERRIBLE RETRIBUTION. The annexed revolting and horrible story--’ an over true tale’---comes to us from the Upton (Eng.) Journal.’--So circumstantially is the whole account related, that we think there can be no doubt of its truth; yet it is terribly strange--’stranger than fiction.’ It is not often we publish statements so full of harrowing interest; but the singularity to the events at their denouncements, imparts to them a sacrificial solemnity, like that which hung about the corse of a Joan of Arc, or a Charlotte Corday. Whatever may be the thought of the maddened heroism of the desperate wife and mother by whose dread hands the sanguinary catastrophe was consummated, language cannot sufficiently execrate the immeasurable wickedness by which it was excited. In the spring of 1838, two young ladies, sisters, named Louisa and Ellen Prince, of Langenoch Parth, were placed by their widowed mother at the boarding school of the celebrated Mrs. Sherwood, between Powick and Worcester, three miles from the latter place. Louisa was then about sixteen, and Ellen fourteen years of age. It appears that Mrs. S. was in the habit of assembling her pupils and friends of both sexes every other week, for the purpose of performing concerts of sacred music. To these parties came, among others, two young merchants from Worcester, named Harris and Benson. We pass over the occurrences of three years, during which time these two young creatures, naturally interesting and gifted with superior abilities, were singled out by Harris and Benson for their marked and undivided attentions; these becoming obvious, were communicated to Mrs. S. to the mother, between whom and the young men an explanation took place, and they were ultimately received at the house as the future husbands of her daughters. A brother of Mrs. Price’s dying in 1835, left them, it seems, a sum of money, on condition of their not marrying until they attained, respectively, the age of twenty-five; and as the mother refused her sanction to the marriage of her daughters until the arrival of that time, the cite instance was made a pretext by their professed lovers to induce them to consent to an elopement and private marriage; and in an evil hour, these two innocent gals, with all the fond affection of young and confiding hearts, embarked there future worldly hopes and happiness in one frail bark---the honor of their admirers and eloped with them before daybreak from Mrs. Sherwood’s house. They proceeded to a neighboring church, (Hallow), a few miles off, the keys of which they had obtained by bribing the sexton, who asserts that he was totally ignorant of their intentions. Here a mock ceremony of marriage was performed by an accomplice, who was dressed in the habithments of a clergyman. They resided for some months after this in a cottage ornec in the suburbs of Worcester; and here in April, 1837, Louisa the eldest gave birth to a daughter, the child of Mr. Benson, to whom she thought herself married. In June of the same year, Harris proceeded to Lisbon on business connected with the firm, where, as it subsequently turned out, he married a daughter of Mr. Kent, a wine merchant, of the firm of Kent and Brothers. He returned to England in February of this same year, bringing his real wife with him, and purchased a house at Kempsey, on the bank of the Severn. Soon after Harris’s return Benson left Louisa, then the mother of two children, with whom and her sister he had been living up to that time, and took up his residence in Harris’s house, from whence he sent the unfortunate victims a letter stating the facts in relation to the villainy practiced upon them, and offering in the name of himself and partner, to make a settlement upon them by way of reparation. Words would fail in describing the shock produced by the communication of this totally unexpected blow, which robbed them all of that rendered life, in their estimation, worth preserving. Ellen died a fortnight after in the lunatic asylum, near Droitwich, in the arms of her sister, whose mind, it seems was sustained by her determination to execute a fearful vengeance on the guilty crusers of their sufferings, which she too faithfully performed. Learning that her pretended husband was to be married on the 19th of March, land that he was to return from Worcester to Kempsey on the preceding evening in a gig with Harris; to the latter she planned and put in operation the following frightful mode of retribution. After strangling her two infants, and leaving a letter on the table, stating that she would not let them live to hear of their mother’s disgrace, she dressed herself in man’s clothes, armed herself with a brace of pistols, and knowing the probable time of their approach, took her station in a small shrubbery midway up a steep ascent, where the road overhangs the river. On the approach of the gig, it appears that she discharged both the pistols, one of which took effect in the brain of Mr. Benson, who was driving, and who fell dead from his seat; the horse taking fright, started off, and before Mr. Harris could seize the reins to arrest him, plunged over the cliff into the river, where both horse and rider were drowned. The poor girl was found quite dead, weltering in her blood, (having stabbed herself) across the lifeless body of Benson. The horse and gig floated on to Gloucester bridge, where they were taken out of the water. Harris’s body was picked up near Tewksbury. His young widow, we regret to say, is likely soon to become a mother. Mrs. Price fortunately died within a month after the elopement. Thus have the earthly hopes of five families been blasted prematurely, and two innocent and lovely women, who, under bright auspices, might have been the ornament and delight of society, gone down to the grave in sorrow. (Wednesday, March 6, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Asaph Johnson

FATAL ACCIDENT. Mr. Asaph Johnson, of Elkland, Tioga county, Pa. went into the woods in company with several others, on Wednesday the 13th instant, of the purpose of cutting spars. Unfortunately, a spar cut by some one of the company, fell across a small hemlock standing near Mr. J. and broke the hemlock, with all the force given it by the spar, across the back of Mr. J., and so bruised him that he lived but a few moments after being conveyed to his house. Mr. Johnson was a quiet industrious inhabitant, and has left a large family to lament his sudden death. (Wednesday, March 27, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)


We learn from a New Orleans paper, that Johnson, one of the individuals concerned in the Girod street murder, last summer, was executed near the city prison, in New Orleans, on the 16th ult. in pursuance of the sentence of the Court. The Picayune observes: "He seemed to meet his fate with great firmness. On being asked by the sheriff, a short time before his execution, if he had any thing to say, he answered in the negative. He was then asked if he wanted any thing, when he replied he wanted a glass of wine. The wine was handed him, and drank." The editors of the Picayune were informed that previous to being taken to the gallows he confessed he had murdered his own brother in Quebec, and was once concerned in the murder of a whole crew at sea. He was just twenty years of age. (Wednesday, April 10, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

HORRIBLE MASSACRE. Athens, Jan. 7.---On the 10th of November last, the Turkish schooner Cherka Schergf. (The Prophet’s Mantle) anchored in the bay of Patras, its crew consisting of Capt. Taid, of Vouria, and nine others. The vessel carried, besides eight passengers, a German antiquary, M. Hundschift; Mr. and Mrs. Davidson, of Carolina, with their three daughters, and two young Turks, Abdallah and Hussien, twin sons of the Aga o Kars. The cargo consisted of Cashmere shawls, Oriental trinkets, Circassian embroidery, and other valuable articles. On the evening of the 12th the crew and passengers returned on board and on the 13th at dawn, the vessel was to sail. The Patras fishermen perceived by the schooners’ lights that she was sailing, though they did not hear the usual signal gun fire. Some hours after, when the sun was above the horizon, a few fishermen, spreading their nets on the shore, discovered a man struggling amidst the waves. Two of them rowed to his assistance, and arrived in time to save him. He was a youth dressed in the Turkish costume. His condition was horrible; he was fainting, and the blood was gushing from a large recent wound in his head. He was conveyed speechless to a cabin where every attention was paid him. The fishermen, conjecturing that other persons might have been wrecked, proceded with their boats in various directions. They shortly espied the carcass of a vessel, which was soon thrown on the coast. It was the Cherkaj. Schergf. The scene she presented was horrible; on the deck, which was streaming with blood, lay the atrociously mangled corpses of the captain and eleven other persons. Below in one of the cabins, were extend the lifeless bodies of Mrs. Davidson and her three daughters; the state of their corpses revealed that the most infamous violence had preceeded their deadful wounds. The ships masts and oars had been demolished by axes, and her whole cargo had been plundered. The occurrence was forthwith reported to the Governor of Patras, and the poor youth saved by the fishermen was carried to a hospital. Every attempt at discovering the perpetrators of this atrocious carnage was at first fruitless. All that was ascertained was that, on evening before the schooner was to have sailed a brig, which appeared to be from the Island of Samos, had beat about the Bay of Patras. Two days after the dead bodies of two more of the crew were found on the shore. At length the young Abdallah, whom the fishermen had saved, recovered enough to declare the following:--The schoover had scarcely left the Bay of Patras--the sea was calm, the passengers and a part of the crew had retired to the cabin.--when a fearful tumult was suddenly heard. Fifteen ruffians, armed with daggers and yataghans, had boarded the vessel, and before any resistance could be attempted, massacred or threw overboard every soul on deck. Abdallah had beheld the death of his brother, and he was making a desperate defence, when the cut of a yataghan cast him into the sea. Abdallah added, that on the day he arrived at Patras, he had been with his brother and the captain into a coffee house, and that he thought he had seen there two men whom he had since seen again on the awful night of the 12th of November. The youth father stated that the captain had long talked before the two men of the richness of her cargo, and that next day, on the owner of the coffee house being asked who those two strangers were, he replied that they were old soldiers of Hydra, living quietly at their homes. The coffee house keeper what then questioned. At first he denied all but subsequently avowed that the two men had conversed with Abdallah and the Captain, adding that he knew nothing of what they might have done. Notwithstanding this declaration, he was imprisoned, when his wife, alarmed at the consequences which her husband’s concealment might entail, disclosed the fact that the two suspicious individuals were George Diomadi and Alexander Gloukos, two of the most formidable pirates of Samos and that their stronghold was near the Cavern of Philoctetes. The woman protested that her husband was guiltless, and that his only relations with them were those of a friendship formed while serving together in the Greek insurrection. Upon these circumstances being communicated to the Governor of Samos, he hastened with 300 infantry and 60 horse to the Cavern of Philoctetes which he caused to be surrounded. He in person, with fifty picked men, entered the den. Scarcely had he entered into the dark vaults, when he had to sustain a discharge of musketry. After a sanguinary struggle, which obscurity rendered still more horrible, the fire of the pirate band was silenced.--Fifteen of them had been slain, one only captured, and the remainder had escaped by an aperture which the Governor having detected it had not been watched and guarded. Young Abdallah on being confronted with the prisoner, identified him as one of the two men whom he had met at Patras. After much hesitation the coffee house keeper avowed that the villain was no other than Alexander Glonkos, the lieutenant of the brig commanded by George Diomadi. (Wednesday, April 10, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Phinny L. Burr

In Carleston on the 24th inst., of the lung fever, Mr. Phinny L. Burr, aged 21 years. (Wednesday, May 1, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

John Macpherson

Old age, poverty and pride---Died a few days since, near Kingussie, in Bidenoch, a venerable old Highlander, aged 103 years. The name of this patriarch of the hills was John Macpherson. He was a poor man, but honest and industrious. Latterly some of his neighbors assisted John with small sums of money and provisions, but he received them with evident reluctance, and no consideration could induce him to solicit public charity. The only luxury in which the old man indulged was tobacco, and it is well known that he sometimes had recourse to roots and other substitutes, when his money and tobacco failed, rather than ask a penny to purchase another supply of the favourite narcotic. This independent proud-spirited old clansman had witnessed many changes among his native mountains, from the time that the feudal system was in full vigor till introduction of agricultural improvement and commercial enterprise. He had seen the gascorme, or crooked spade of the ‘Highlanders, superseded by the plough---sheep farming introduced--roads & bridges constructed in the place of the old fords and bridal track --the mail coach, driving daily through scenes that in his youth only echoed to the hunter and the wild deep; and even steamboats sailing where grew broom and heather, in the grief glen of Albyn, now the line of the Caledonian canal.---Inverness Courier. (Wednesday, May 8, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Pliny L. Burr

In Charleston on the 24th inst., of the lung fever, Mr. Pliny L. Burr, aged 21 years. (Wednesday, May 8, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

The Hon. Isaac Darlington

DEATH OF JUDGE DARLINGTON.--The Hon. Isaac Darlington, President Judge of the several courts of the counties of Ghester and Delaware, died on the 27th ult., at his residence in West Chester. This is the same judicial officer concerning whom the quo warranto case was recently argued before the supreme court in Philadelphia. It is possible that the decision will not be published, since this Providential removal of Judge Darlington. Should the supreme court take this course it will occasion a general disappointment, as the public were very anxious for a decision upon the great constitutional question at issue. (Wednesday, May 15, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)


In Baltimore, on the 22d inst., Gen. Samuel Smith, in the 88th year of his age. Gen. Smith was a soldier of the Revolution, formerly a member of Congress Senator of the United States, and lately Mayor of Baltimore. He was at one time a distinguished merchant, and was always a patriotic, enterprising and public spirited citizen. The funeral of General Smith was attended by an immense concourse of people. The President of the United States, the Governor of Maryland, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of the Treasury, the Secretary of the Navy, the Secretary of War and the Attorney General, were present. The President rode in an open barouche, with the Governor, General Leakin, the Mayor, and Mr. Forsyth. The ceremonies were exceeding imposing.--The military turned out in great strength, and presented a splendid array. The Firemen add the Ward Guards also united in the procession and a vast crowd of citizens followed the remains of the last of the Field officers of the Revolution to their final resting place. Ex. Pa. (Wednesday, May 15, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Lieut. Hubbert

MORE INDIAN MURDERS.--It is painful to state that Lieut. Hubbert, and a private of the 6th Infantry, were shot by the Seminoles on the 3d instant, while riding from fort Frank Brook to fort Andrews, to ascertain the cause of the detention of the mail rider, who was no doubt shot by the Indians. Four balls passed through the body of Lieutenant H. but neither he nor the private were scalped. (Wednesday, May 22, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Benjamin Greene Davis

At Brookfield, Tioga county, Pa. on the 19th of May, of the consumption, Benjamin Greene Davis, youngest son of Ichabod Davis, aged 23 years. (Wednesday, June 12, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Joshua Jones

From the Potter Pennon. EXECUTION OF JOSHUA JONES, convicted of the murder of his wife, was executed on the 31st of May last. At the hour of 2 pm, he was taken from his cell and led to the place prepared within the yard of the prison, for his execution. He ascended the scaffold with firmness--no tremor, no change of countenance was discoverable. He appeared resigned to his inevitable doom. A Hymn was sung, followed by fervent petitions to the throne of Grace by Elder Sawyer, and the Rev. Samuel Pitt. Upon being asked if he had anything to say he spoke in substance as follows: "I hope that my situation will be a warning to others. As to guilt or innocence, I have nothing further to say than what I have already stated. I have violated the laws--I am guilty of a high crime, and must suffer the penalty. May those who are called upon to witness its infliction, be led to consider the importance of a preparation for that untried state of being upon which I must in a few minutes enter.--I am a dying man and humbly hope for pardon, for the high crime I have committed, from that tribunal before which I am about to appear. I have nothing further to say. The Sheriff and minsters then left the scaffold--the fatal drop, fell, and Joshua Jones in the prime of life, and in perfect health, was launched into eternity. His strong and uncontrolled passions had urged him to the commission of a crime of the deepest dye. He manifested but little regret at the death of his wife, and through his long confinement he appeared cheerful and even contented. (Wednesday, June 12, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Nathaniel T. DUNCOMBE

(From the Madison (Wisconsin) Inquirer, July 16. DREADFUL SELF-MURDER. The American Hotel in this place was, on Sunday afternoon last, the scene of a horrible occurrence of this kind.--At about 4 o’clock, the attention of Mr. Flake, the keeper of the American was attracted by a burgling noise; and in casting his eye observed standing in the door of a room a short distance from him, a man literally covered with blood pointing to his throat, and beckoning to him to approach. Startled and shocked, Mr. Fake advanced towards and followed him into the room, where he beheld a scene horrid and sickening in the extreme. The floor and bed covered with blood; an open razor, the implement of death lying on a chair, and the wretched self-murderer, who had sunk upon his knees, struggling for breath; with his throat cut--the treacoea completely severed !--Surgical assistance was immediately called, but nothing could be done for him, as he determinedly and franticly resisted every attempt made to dress or even touch the wound. His only desire was to see his wife, who was in the family; and having obtained a slip of paper, wrote with a pencil-- "I want to see my wife. It’s all I ask. N, T. D." It was deemed proper however, not to grant his request; and after half an hour of intense suffering expired. His name was Nathaniel T. Duncombe. As will be seen by the following letters which we are permitted to publish one of which was addressed to his wife an hour or two before; and the other found on his body after his death, the cause of the suicide was an unfortunate difficulty between himself and wife, which it appears he could not succeed in reconciling. This difficulty arose from brutal treatment at his hands, and which compelled her six or eights months ago, to leave him. During this time she lived at Madison, and was in the family of Mr. Fake. The husband who resided at Jefferson, came to this place two or three days before his death for the purpose of reconciliation. Having failed in this, he came to the determination of destroying himself; and waited until his wife and Mr. Fakes family had gone to church, and then crawled through the window into her apartment, where, after cutting his arm which was found to be deeply gashed in several places, he opened his wife’s trunk, took out her clothing, and besmeared each separate article with blood wrote the initials of his name, N. T. D. in glaring capitals, with blood, upon the wall, and then cut his throat? "I find it impossible to bring about a reconciliation with my wife, and I feel that it is impossible for me to survive it. It would have been effected, and we should have been happy, if it was not for a few who have taken a mistaken view of my actions. I forgive them. Let them remember, ‘to cry is human to forgive divine? I have striven hard in this new country to obtain a home for my family. My affections were wholly placed on my wife, notwithstanding some things have occurred to mar the married life. I freely forgive her, and now that I am out of the way of persecution, I hope she will forgive what has gone amiss on my side, as she would not do it when I was still living. I used every persuasion that I was capable of, but fly the interference of a few folks who wished. It is now Sunday, the 30th June. "After writing the above, I have come to the determination to try once more; and if it all fails, and she remains inflexible to my request, as I find it hard to part with her, as well as with life, my doom is sealed, and I shall leave this world, with all its allurements to find the rest which death, the poor man’s friend, has for me. N. T. DUNCOMBE." (Wednesday, August 7, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hon. John Birdsall

ITEMS OF NEWS FROM TEXAS.--The Hon. John Birdsall, once Attorney General of Texas and late chief justice of that republic died at his residence in Houston, on the 22d July. He was a native of New York, and for many years a member of the Senate of that State. (Wednesday, August 21, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

General Warren

BATTLE OF BUNKER’S HILL AND DEATH OF GENERAL WARREN. Warren (now a brigadier general of the Massachusetts militia) was not unconcerned in the battle of Lexington.-- Scouts of his had notified him on the 18th of April, that a detachment of troops was to march that night towards Concord: and then remaining himself upon the watch, he saw Colonel Smith and 8 or 900 men embark for Charlestown. Knowing the stores and ammunition at Concord to be their object, he instantly sent messengers over the surrounding country, to give the alarm, and himself rode all night---passing so near the enemy as to be more than once in great danger of capture. His messenger to Lexington was Col. Revere; who, on suddenly turning a corner as he passed through Charlestown, found himself close to a party of British. In a moment he put his horse at full speed, dashed through them, and before they could well ascertain him to be a foe, was beyond the reach of the balls which they fired after him. When the enemy were returning from Concord, he was among the foremost in hanging upon then rear and assailing their flanks. By pressing them too closely, he again narrowly escaped death. A musket ball took of a lock of hair, which curled close to his head, in the fashion of that time. When his mother saw him after the battle, and heard of his escape, she entreated him with tears not again to risk life so previous. ‘Where danger is, dear mother,’ he answered, "there must your son be. Now is no time for any of American’s children to shrink from any hazard. I will set her free or die." On the 16th of June, when Col. Prescott received his orders, and marched with his thousand men to fortify Bunker’s Hill, the session at Watertown was protracted, that Warren could not leave it until late at night. So soon as he could, he prepared to join Prescott--despite the dissuasion of his friends. To their assurances, that most of the detachment, and especially he--daring and conspicuous as he was--would in all probability be cut off, and that he could not be spared so soon from the cause; he replied, "I cannot help it: I must share the fate of my countrymen. I cannot hear the cannon and remain inactive." Among the most intimate of these friends, was then afterwards distinguished Elbridge Gerry; with whom he lodged regularly in the same room; and on that last night in the same bed. To him,-- when they parted after midnight, Warren returned the sentiment--so truly Roman, and in this instance so prophetic--"dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori." By day-break he was at the camp in Cambridge; where, finding that the British had not shown themselves, and sick with an aching head, from mental and bodily toil, he sat down to snatch a little repose. But as he was soon roused by tidings, that the enemy were in motion; and instantly rising, he exclaimed "my headache is gone." Others doubted what the object of the enemy’s threatened movement was. He at once saw it to be, the unfinished fortification upon Bunker’s Hill. The committee of safety (which sat at the house where he was) having resolved immediately to dispatch a reinforcement thither. Warren mounted his horse, and with sword and musket, hastened to the scene of strife. He arrived just as the fight began, and seeking on; General Putnam, (who was already there) desired to be posted where the service was to be the most arduous, Putnam expressed his sorrow at seeing him, in a place so full of peril; "but since you have come," added he, "I will obey your orders with pleasure." Warren replied, that he came as a volunteer--to obey and fight; not to command. Putnam requested him to take his stand in the redoubt, where Prescott commanded, and which was considered in advance of the slighter defence, behind which Putnam and his men were stationed. On his entering the redoubt, he was greeted with loud buzzas; and Prescott, like Putnam, offered him the command. He again refused it, saying, that he was a mere volunteer; and should be happy to learn service from so experienced a soldier. He was constantly active; going through the ranks, cheering on his comrades, sharing their perils, and plying his musket against the advancing enemy.--When the British had twice been driven from the height, with a thousand slain; when the exhaustion of powder and ball, leaving the Americans no means of resistance but clubbed guns against fixed bayonets and fourfold numbers, necessarily made the third onset successful--Warren was the last to leave his station. The slowest is that slow and reluctant retreat, he struggled for every foot of ground; disdaining to quicken his step though bullets whizzed and blood streamed all around him. Major Small, of the british army, recognized him, and eager to save his life called upon him for God’s sake, to stop, and be protected from destruction.--Warren turned and looked towards him; but sickening at the sight and the thought of his slaughtered countrymen and the lost battle, again moved slowly off as before. Major Small then ordered his men not to fire at the American General; but it was too late. Just as the order was given, a ball passed through his head, he fell and expired. His body lay on the field all the next night. When one who knew his person, told General Howe the next morning that Warren was among the slain he would not believe it; declared it IMPOSSIBLE that the President of the Congress should have been suffered to expose himself so hazardously. An English surgeon, however, who had also known Warren, identified his corpse; and, to prove the daring of which he was capable, added, that but five days before, he had ventured alone in to Boston in a small canoe, to learn the plans of the British; and had urged the surgeon to enter into the American service. Gen. Howe declared, that the death of one such adversary balanced the loss of 500 men. Warren’s body with many others, English and Americans, near the spot where he fell; whence, sometime afterwards, it was removed to the Tremont burying ground and finally to the family vault under St. Paul’s Church, in Boston. His brothers, at the first disinterment knew his remains by an artificial tooth, by a nail wanting on one of his fingers and by his clothes, in which he was buried just as he fell. His young brother, Dr. John Warren, at first sight of the body fainted away, and lay for many minutes insensible on the ground. We draw a veil over the grief of his mother, when, after a torturing suspense of three days, the dreadful truth was disclosed to her. In Gen. Warren’s pocket, an English soldier found a prayer book, with the owner’s name written in it. The soldier carried it to England, and sold it for a high price to a kind-hearted clergymen, who benevolently transmitted it to a minister in Roxbury, with a request that he would restore it to the general’s nearest relation. It was accordingly given to his youngest brother, whose son, Dr. John C. Warren, still retains it. It was printed in 1559 in a character remarkably distinct, and is strong and handsomely bound. (Wednesday, August 21, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hon. John Birdsall

ITEMS OF NEWS FROM TEXAS.--The Hon. John Birdsall, once Attorney General of Texas and late chief justice of that republic died at his residence in Houston, on the 22d July. He was a native of New York, and for many years a member of the Senate of that State. (Wednesday, August 21, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)


SHOCKING MURDER.---The Louisville Reporter of the 6th inst. gives the particulars of a barbarous murder at that place of a negro named Jem, by his master, Abyger McGuire who it is said was jealous of the slave’s attentions to a black woman whom he himself had formed an intimacy.---It is asserted that McG. took Jem into the stable, tied his hands, and with a wagoner’s cow-hide flogged the negro till the cow-hide was worn out, and then he snatched the belly-band of a set of harness and beat the unfortunate slave with the buckle end of it on the shoulders, back and breast; when the leather belt gave way he took a barrel stave and beat him with it severely on the head, shoulders and breast, until he died. The details given in the Reporter are shockingly barbarous. The body of the slave was secretly buried, but the Coroner had it raised and examined and found a verdict of murder against McGuire, who had not yet been taken. (Wednesday, August 21, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Ca, Pa.)


The following Committees of Vigilance for the several townships are appointed by the Standing Committee.

Delmar---Lewis Miller, A. S. Brewster.

Westfield--John H. King, Rufus Scott.

Brookfield--Ichabod Davis, Ethel B. Bacon.

Deerfield--Aaron Alba, Hiram Freeborn.

Middlebury--Erastus Niles, J. P. Keeney.

Chatham--Russell Temple, John Short, jr.

Farmington--Thomas Gee, John A. Kemp.

Elkland--Kent Pomeroy, M. W. Stull.

Lawrence--Lewis Darling, Buel Baldwin.

Tioga--James Goodrich, John W. Guernsey.

Richmond--Rodney C. Shaw, Daniel Sherwood.

Jackson--Samuel Miller, Joshua G. Spencer.

Rutland--William Rose, John U. Frost.

Sullivan--John Fox, Elijah Welch.

Covington--Thos. Dyer, George Knox.

Liberty--Jeremiah Black, Philip J. Koler.

Morris--Jacob Babb, James Diggin.

Shippen--Hezekiah Stoell, John L. Phenix.

Charleston--Jacob Deryea, Levi Elliott.

Union--Eli M’Nitt, Charles O. Spencer.

(Wednesday, August 21, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Messrs. Dallmad and Morgan

FLORIDA WAR. Herald Office, Saturday Morning, Aug. 3, 1839. Important from Tampa Bay.--Horrid intelligence has been received here this morning from Gen. Taylor, that Col. Harney was surprised and attacked by a body of Indians at Carloosa-hatchie, on the morning of the 23d July. Thirteen of his men were killed, with the two sutlers, Messrs. Dallmad and Morgan; the remainder, 15 in number, of whom several were wounded, and the Colonel escaped. Gen. Taylor has given orders for the different posts to put themselves in a state of defence, and to allow no portion of any command to leave the garrison without a strong escort. When we saw Col. Harney walking to the wharf arm-in-arm with Chitto-Tustenuggee, we heard several persons prophecy that he would never return; but the Colonel was impressed with an idea that the Indians had no enmity towards him, and that he possessed an influence over them. At his post he had only a detachment of 28 men, armed with Colt’s rifles; and such was his fatal security, that he had erected no stockade or defence, and kept no sentinels posted. Whatever may have been said, it is act of treachery is definitive of the intentions of the Indians. Col. Harney was on the neutral ground, not more than 250 miles from Sam Jones’ principal camp, from which and from the country round, the Indians were coming in, and going out freely. They had not the excuse of not knowing of the "peace," for they both knew, and apparently approved of it. Col. Harney supposed to be more in their favor than any officer in the army, was at a post far distant from any other; not with a force that could excite-suspicion, but with a simple guard of twenty eight men---he would not, such was his confidence, have one man more. An inhuman attempt was made to massacre this little party, so situated, for the express purpose of opening and explaining friendly relations, and so confiding in Indian good faith. Those who have trumpetted forth before the "war ended," will please make a retraction, and let member that the Floridians have had no agency in the matter---Carlosahalchie being perhaps, 250 miles south of any settlement. Those who have kept files of the Herald since May, can see that we have in no way deceived our readers in regard to the few words called a treaty spoken by Gen. Macomb to a negro; and that the universal voice of the people of Florida (we know of but two dissentinents) in regard to Indian affairs, may be depended upon. (Wednessday, August 28, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Julia Billings

On Sunday August 18, 1839, Julia Billings aged 15 years, daughter of Silas Billings at Deerfield, Tioga Co, Pa. (Wednesday, September 4, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Capt. John Phenix

Died--at his residence, in Gaines township, Tioga county, Penn. on the 24th of August, 1839, Capt. John Phenix, in the 67th year of his life. Mr. Phenix was one of the first settlers on Pine Creek; built the first saw-mill, and made the first board that was manufactured over the now great lumbering stream---He was a good citizen, led a quiet and peaceful life with his neighbors; was a kind and affectionate father, gained a comfortable living for himself and family by the sweat of his brow, and his roof was ever a shelter, and his table spread for the weary traveler. His spirit left the body within a few feet from the very spot where he built the first cabin--He left a good evidence to his dear children and to her friends, that God for Christ sake had pardoned his sins a short time before he left the world. His memory will long be returned in the minds of all that were acquainted with him--His funeral was attended on the 26th ult. where a large number of the citizens of that place assembled to pay their last respects to their good old friend--Sermon preached by Eld. O. Ketchim from Deut. 32d 29th.--"O that they were wise, that they understood this, that they would consider their utter end." (Wednesday, September 11, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Governor James Clark, Esq.

Death of Governor Clarke.--We learn from the Frankfort Commonwealth of the 27th ult., that James Clarke, Esq., Governor of Kentucky, died on the morning of that day about 8 o’clock. (Wednesday, September 25, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mathew Carey

Death of Mathew Carey.---The venerable Mathew Carey died at his residence in Philadelphia on Monday evening, after a short illness. He had reached his eightieth year, and after a long life of untiring industry and unrelaxing benevolence, he sunk gently into death, full of years and honors. Mathew Carey, was a native of Ireland, he came to this country during the last century, he was engaged for many years as a printer and publisher in which profession he realized an ample fortune. During his business life, but particularly since his retirement, Mr. Carey was actively employed in philantropic pursuits. With a clear intellect, a sound education, a disposition to seek out objects of reform and amelioration in society, and the energy to carry out approved means, he possessed also the unbounded liberality which is the purest evidence of sincerity and the soul of success. As a writer he is remarkable for the concise array of facts which are brought to sustain his opinions. In questions of political economy Mr. Carey always evinced a deep interest; and even those who dispute his positions must admit the ability and candor with which he maintained them. His last writings, produced within the last two months, are a series of papers entitled the "Querist," concerning the Cotton trade, evincing industrious research and a mind unimpaired by the elapse of four scores years. The attention of Mr. Carey was also directed to plans of public education and various means of elevating the condition of the laboring classes. His exertions in favor of indigent women were unremitting and it’s believed that in this city they were attended with gratifying changes in the condition of that unfortunate class. We cannot at this moment present a biographical sketch of Mr. Carey or attempt to do justice to his memory. His name is familiar in this country and in Europe as a firm supporter of rational liberty, and a sufferer in its causes. Through a long life he devoted his energies with unquenchable enthusiasm to great and good purposes. His purse was as open for them as his counsel. In the death of Mathew Carey, the cause of sound repulibicanism has lost an advocate, the poor a benefactor, the oppressed a patron, and society a friend. Physical infirmity limited the sphere of his personal exertions, but the scope of his benevolent desire reached the farthest verge of enlightenend philanthropy. (Wednesday, October 2, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Female Wood

Philadelphia, Oct. 1. HORRIBLE TRAGEDY.--A deep and most painful sensation was excited in the community this morning, by the rumor of a deed of blood which it was sincerely hoped at first was but a rumor--but which after inquiry, proved alas! too true. Those who have been accustomed to walk in Chestnut street, in the neighborhood of Independent square, must have frequently stepped into the confectionary store and refreshment rooms of Mr. Wood, opposite the State house. They must also remember his handsome and attentive daughter, whose chief care it was to attend to the more elegant ministrations of the establishment. She was a faithful and dutiful girl, just blushing into womanhood. Among her many admirers, was a young man in Sixth street, of the name of PEAK, who succeeded in securing her affections. About two weeks since, we understood, they were privately married, and on Thursday evening the young woman left the establishment of her father and joined her husband. On Saturday she returned, and all the circumstances were known to the former. He instantly closed his shop, much to the surprise of the public--more than particular attraction being now in the ladies’ department--a striking likeness of Queen Victoria by a young artist of this city, having been placed there for exhibition. The demeanor of the father to the daughter was morose and unreconciling although he had previously invited her home; but she strove by every means to avert his ill feeling, which, so far as it was likely to end in any thing desperate, he ingeniously concealed.--Yesterday morning, however, at about ten o’clock, as the daughter was sitting in the room with her father, and we believe with some other members of the family, he walked deliberately up to her, and drawing a pistol from his bosom or pocket, placed it almost against her forehead, and shot her entirely through the brain. The ball, we learn, passed through the skull, and well in another part of the room. The murderous weapon was at once thrown from the hands of the desperate man, in the presence of his dying child, and himself secured. The Sheriff of the city was sitting in his office, and was immediately aware that something unusual had occurred. He crossed the street instantly; and ascending to the apartment where the deed was done found the murderer standing, pale and terribly agitated, with his back to the fire place, and his daughter lying prostrate and bleeding on the floor, with her head near his feet. One child, a promising lad, was clasping his knee and averring, with tearful eyes and language of imploring passion, that "father did not, father could not do it!" while other members of the family were sobbing and shrieking over the dying sister and child. On the entrance of the Sheriff, Wood lifted his arm as if in the act of firing a pistol, and exclaimed--"I am the man---I shot her--I shot her!" The girl died about 11 o’clock. Mr. Wood is an Englishman, who may be remembered as a fruitseller for many years in the Chestnut street Theatre, and the keeper of a little shop in the Arcade, which his daughter and himself attended. He has several other children, who with their mother, are thrown into inconceivable distress by this dread act of murder and blood.--Phil. Gaz. (Wednesday, October 9, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Henry Kobler Musselman

THE LANCASTER MURDER. We learn from the Lancaster Journal that in the case of Henry Kobler Musselman, convicted of the murder of Zellerbach the peddler, the reasons for the arrest of judgement were argued on Tuesday and Wednesday last with great ability by Messrs. Fordney, Attorney General, and Jenkins for Commonwealth, and Messrs. Montgomery and Ford for the prisoner. The court met on Monday, all the Judges present, and the opinion of the Court was delivered by the President Judge Champneys, upon all the reasons filed in arrest of judgment. The motion was overruled by the unanimous opinion of the Court, Judges Dale and Lightmer fully concurring in the opinion delivered.--The President Judge then passed sentence of death upon the prisoner in the following words as reported in the Journal: As a general principle the Court would not feel justified in adding to the weight of conviction of a criminal, any remarks or reproaches beyond the sentence imposed by law. But the circumstances connected with the commission of your crime are so extraordinary, and atrocious, and the Court deem it so striking an exception, as to justify the brief remarks they are about to make. The crime of deliberate murder has been considered, in all ages, as the highest in the calender of criminal offences, and the individual who can so outrage all the laws of God and man, has been deemed deserving of death as the only expiration that could be offered for the life he has taken, and as an example to deter others from this commission of similar offences. The punishment of death which the law inflicts, is no more than adequate to the offence which you have committed. The annuals of crime hardly furnish a case, in which all the attendant circumstances were marked with such a ferocious and blood thirsty spirit as was exhibited by you towards your unfortunate victim. You obtained his confidence at Pittsburgh, and became his companion, and pretended friend; he compensated you for your services, and on your journey at a moment when he was unsuspecting and defenseless, you aimed the deadly blow at his head, and following it by a resort to the knife, which you plunged, in accomplishing your vile purpose into every vital part of his body. And when half an hour had elapsed from the first attack, and the unfortunate Zellerbach showed symptoms of returning animation, and raised himself to supplicate for mercy, true to your murderous and bloody purpose, you despatched him, and sent him to the bar of that omniscient Being who witnessed your crimes; and, by his mysterious Providence, has brought to light all the circumstances connected with this foul deed. And when the murdered corpse was lying before you at night--in the midst of a storm and waiting to catch the glimpses of the moon, alongside of the unfortunate Zellerbach, you, coolly, and deliberately opened his Pocket book to examine and ascertain the value of your plunder. Such an instance of moral depravity and destitution of all the feelings of human nature, can hardly be found amidst all the degradation and recklessness disclosed in the history of our Criminal jurisprudence. Since the commissioner of this atrocious and bloody deed, you have exhibited in your conduct and declarations, the same utter destitution of every moral and religious obligation. Having involved your servant William in so much suspicion, from the circumstance of his being your companion, as to subject him to arrest, imprisonment and indictment, and your conscience not permitting you a moment’s peace, and having disclosed to him all the circumstances of this foul murder, you then urged him to add to your crime, and jeopard his own soul, by committing the crime of Perjury, in testifying to your innocence! The cup of your iniquity is full to overflowing. Whether you have ever received either moral or religious instruction, it is not for the Court to inquire or know. But you ought to be informed that you can expect no mercy from any human tribunal, no relief from the executive. But he, who left his thrown on high and gave his only begotten son for the salvation of sinners, is the fountain of mercy and to him you must bow your knee and direct your supplications. The sentence of the law is therefore pronounced: That you be taken hence to the jail of the county of Lancaster from which you came, and thence to the place of execution, and be there hanged by the neck until you are dead; the said punishment to be inflicted within the walls or yard of the jail of said county, in the manner directed by the act of 10th April, A. D. 1834, entitled "an act to abolish public executions." During the delivery of the above remarks, the prisoner hardly moved a muscle; betraying by no outward sign, the most trifling interest in the judgment pronounced against him. (Wednesday, October 16, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

William Hartman

On the 23rd of August last, at the residence of his father in Chester County, William Hartman, late editor of the Democratic Star and Tioga Phenix. (Wednesday, October 16, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Caroline Field

On the 6th inst. Mrs. Caroline Field of Delmar. (Wednesday, October 16, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Nelson Palmar

On the 13th inst. Nelson, son of Samuel Palmar, of Delmar. (Wednesday, October 16, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Martin Levegood

On the 19th inst., in Liberty township, after a severe illness of three weeks, which he bore with christian fortitude and resignation, Martin Levegood, in the 83d year of his age. (Wednesday, October 23, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hon. Jesse Buel

ANOTHER GOOD MAN GONE. We learn with sincere emotions of regret that the Hon. Jesse Buel of Albany, NY, died at Danbury, Connecticut, on his way to New Haven to deliver an address. He was an ardent and devoted advocate of the great interests of the agriculturists being himself an eminent farmer. Two years ago he was the whig candidate for Lieut. Governor of the State of New York--at the time of his death and for some time past, he has had the editorial supervision of the Albany Cultivotor; from which able publication we have already selected a number of articles of great importance to the public generally. His death has left a void in society which will not easily be filled.--Old Dominion. (Wednesday, October 30, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)


On the 21st inst., of typus fever, Ann, consort of Mr. John Levegood Jr. of Liberty township, in the 37th year of her age. (Wednesday, October 30, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

A MILITARY EXECUTION IN BARBADOES. At a quarter before ten o’clock, Captain Nugent, accompanied by the sergeant, proceeded to visit the sentries, and on coming to No. 3 post they found it deserted. An inquiry was instituted, and the corporal of the guard stated he had planted private Michael Kinnelly at 8 o’clock on No. 3 post.--Again it occurred to Captain Nugent that this man might have committed suicide, and he sent out small parties in various directions to look for Kinnelly. They all returned at midnight after an unsuccessful search. When the daylight dawned, fresh parties scoured the country, & Cap. Nugent, mounting his horse, rode out himself. About two miles from the barracks, he was passing a small but employed as a grogshop, when he saw a soldier, whom he at once recognized as Kinnelly, standing with his back to the door, having his accoutrements on, and his musket resting between his legs, with the butt on the ground; he turned round to beckon to a corporal and two privates that were following him, who at that moment were talking to a black man in the act of pointing towards the hut.--Simultaneously Kinnelly looked over his shoulder, recognized Capt. Nugent, wheeled rapidly around, stepped on one side to clear himself of the people, and brought his firelock to the "ready," in a line with Captain Nugent; who was then within ten paces of the door.--With admirable presence of mind Capt. Nugent flung himself from his horse’s neck to the ground, and rushed towards Kinnelly; while doing so, he perceived that the latter had brought his firelock in the direction of his (Captain Nugent’s), breast, and marked that the piece wavered; again it was steady, the hand of Kinnelly played with the lock; the trigger quivered, life and death were balanced on the pressure of a finger. The villain hesitated, the opportunity was lost, and Captain Nugent, grasping him by the throat with his right hand, seized the barrel of--the musket with the left, and held Kinnelly like a child, helpless. At the same time the corporal and the privates ran into the hut, and secured Kinnelly and the firelock. Capt. Nugent opened the pan in the presence of the party; it was filled with fresh priming, and springing the ramrod, he found the piece loaded. He ordered the prisoner to be escorted to the barracks, and followed afterwards himself It is an old saying that the Evil One deserts his victims, when they are once fairly caged--nay, delights in entangling them in the meshes of the web he has woven for their destruction. This appeared the case with Kinnelly, for on passing a sugar cane field he pointed out the spot where he had concealed himself the night before and from whence he had fired a shot to attract Capt. Nugent, in order that he might shoot him. "Tis well for him," said the miserable man, plunging deeper into his guilt--" ‘tis well for him he rode a strange horse, I heard the galloping--I knew the horse was not the Captain’s--I thought it was some other officer, or a servant--and this saved his life, for I was prepared to shoot him. Is it not a singular fact, that many of the most depraved villains when first taken, openly confess their intended crimes, give evidence against themselves, furnish proofs for their own condemnation, appear to glory in their projected sin, and lament only the failure of their bloodthirsty plans? This is a curious and unaccountable anomaly of the human mind; for these very men--we suppose on cool reflection--afterwards firmly deny the very crimes and words they a few hours before exulted in and voluntarily uttered. Kinnelly was brought to a General Court-martial: the evidence of Captain Nugent, the prosecutor, was clear, concise, and manly, dwelling as lightly as possible upon the attempt made upon his life, and when questioned by the prisoner, generously giving replies as favourable as he could for the latter.--"Had I not plenty of time," put the prisoner, "to shoot you, if I wished, from the time you came up with your horse until you seized me?" "You had," answered the prosecutor; "but you hesitated hard I rushed in upon you." "When you seized me," asked the prisoner "could I not have drawn my bayonet and stabbed you, if I sought your life?" "No," answered the prosecutor; "when I had once grasped you by the throat you were helpless." A chain of evidence followed which fully proved the charges preferred against the prisoner, and the carridge and bullet with which the musket had been loaded were produced before the Court as it might be expected, the defense of Kinnelly was rambling and unconnected; he had not a single point to bear in favour of his case, or a shadow of evidence to prove his innocence of the crime imputed to him; he reiterated his assertion that he had plenty of time to shoot his captain if he wished to have done it; and the last plant of hope that he clung to was the plea of intoxication--that when on sentry a black man came with a white mug full of new rum--that he took as irrationally expressed it, a good hearty drink--that he left his post, travelled the fields, lay down, and slept, and the next morning when he saw his Captain, he was laboring under the effects of what the soldiers aptly term rum fever--that he owed no malice, and never intended to shoot his Captain. The prisoner was found guilty, a list of former convictions were produced, proving him to be a man of incorrigibly bad character; his sentence was recorded-- "to be shot to death by musketry;" and he was removed from the bar to the abandoned cell, which he was not to leave until the day of his execution. How Providence throughout the entire of this case appears to have kept a watchful eye over Captain Nugent had he rode to where the shot was fired, to attract his attention the chances are that Kennelly would have shot him; had he been mounted on his own horse instead of a strange one, he was a doomed man; had he lost the cool presence of mind, the rapid decision, and the determined gallantry with which he rushed, to all appearance upon death; had he allowed Kinnelly to have seen him wavering or attempting to escape--the nerves of the murderer would have been braced, his sinking courage would have received a stimulus, a brave young officer would have been lost to the Service, and society would have had to lament that a youthful but worthy member was hurried to an untimely grave. Kennelly was an Irishman and a Roman Catholic; there was no minister of his persuasion in Barbadoes--but his excellency the Lieutenant General commanding would not have him sent to execution without the consolations of religion, and, to his honor be it recorded, resolved, even at his own expense, to procure from St. Lucia a ghostly comforter to prepare the prisoner for his end. The priest came--an Irishman--one who had travelled much, and was well read in the bitter volume of human life and human misery, in every shape and under every form; he attended his penitent, watched and prayed with him in his condemned cell, received his confession, and listened to the long black catalogue of crime--exhorted him to repent of past iniquities, taught him to look through the dim vista of the future to that bright star of hope, pardon, through the mercy of his Redeemer--and finally, brought forth the man of blood and wickedness, "whose sins were as scarlet," a calm, resigned, and repentant Christian. Saturday the 20th of October was fixed upon for carrying the sentence of the general court-martial on private Michael Kinnelly into execution; and before the morning dawned, while a grey and somber light still shrouded the earth, the bugles and drums of the different regiments were heard summoning the soldiers to the private parades. At last the morning gun came booming on the breeze, and we almost fancied it had a melancholy, sepulchral sound--a funeral warning that betokened something awful, was to happen; we thought what must be the sensations of the prisoner bound in his cell--in one brief hour to be exchanged for a narrow and dishonored grave; the gun that most often roused him from his feverish slumbers--the bugles and drums that were wont to call him to his duty were now heard for the last time. The space selected for the execution was a low platform of land in front of the garrison burial ground, where noxious weeds and the filthy jugle flourished in rank luxuriance; the troops formed three sides of a hollow square; a solitary speck broke the blank in the centre of the fourth side--it was a low mound of fresh earth, dug up from the newly made grave of the culprit. The firing party, of one subaltern, a sargeant, and 20 privates, were drawn up in the centre of the square; and when every thing was ready, and the signal given by the Major of Brigade, the first stroke on the muffled drum told the sad procession had commenced; in the distance was the main guard room; the door of the condemned cell opens, in front marches the regimental band, then a coffin was born by 4 military labourers--next came the prisoner, accompanied by his priest; the funeral party, with arms reserved closed the rear. The hill and rocks in the vicinity of the guard room and the place of execution were covered with the black population of the neighborhood, the women clothed in white to indicate morning. A deathlike silence reigned, and the sublime and beautiful music of the "Dead March in Saul," alone broke upon the ear. On came the procession with slow and measured pace, and at each step the muffled drum sounded more painfully distinct. The distance was not great but sufficient to cause us to feel sick at the heart, and if the blood had became congealed in its channels, or flowed sluggishly and languidly through our veins, and a sense of suffocation came upon us when we saw the criminal walking at his own funeral, listning to the chant for the dead following his coffin, and approaching in the midst of life and health his own grave. At length the head of the band entered the right extremity of the square, and the party marched past the three faces. The eyes of all present were turned up in the prisoner, but he saw no one. He was dressed in white, his arms bound behind his back; he moved with a firm and steady tread, and kept the time with the accuracy of a soldier going to parade. He was pale but not from terror; his countenance was calm and placid; the deep set wrinkles of his forehead and the down cast culprit look which marked his features on his trial had vanished. He appeared with a calm unclouded brow, and rested his eyes on the ground, or gazed steadily before him; he glanced neither to the right nor to the left; all his senses seemed absorbed in one--that of hearing--as if drinking in the words of consolation poured into his ear by the excellent divine that walked by his side; his mind seemed to have closed upon this life. Yet no reckless boldness, no empty bravado, marked his bearing; but a composure which at once manifested he intended to die like a soldier and a penitent. On hearing the proceedings and sentence of the Court martial read by the major of brigade, he bowed respectfully to him, and also to the Colonel of his regiment; and on approaching his corps he quietly raised his head and said--"Comrades, [die in peace; I love my officers; but avoid rum--avoid drunkenness--it has been my destruction, and brought me to this end." He closed his lips, and the last act of Kinnelly was performed. Once more the funeral procession marched round, and, having approached the grave, Kinnelly stood in his coffin. The clergyman drew the a white cap over his face, continued to exhort him, and for a few minutes appeared praying with the prisoner.--Meanwhile the firing party moved noiselessly up until within 2 paces; the priest, still speaking quietly withdrew and waved the handkerchief. Nothing was heard but the hard breathing of the troops and the sharp click of the cocking of the firelocks--a volley and the white form that was as erect and steady as a statute had disappeared--the body of Kinnelly having fallen into his grave. The troops broke into rank-entire and marched past the shattered remains, streached out upon their coffin. (Wednesday, November 13, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

John Cochran

John Cochran who was one of the famous "Tea Party" in Boston, died recently at Belfast, Me. (Wednesday, November 27, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Solomon Southwick
Death of Solomon Southwick.---The N. York papers announce the death of Solomon Southwick, of Albany, for many years, in the olden time, the editor of the Albany Register, the organ of the Democratic party in that State. (Wednesday, November 27, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

General Bernard
Formerly of the United States engineer service, and more recently minister of war in France, died at Paris on the 15th of November. (Wednesday, December 18, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough Eagle, Tioga Co, Pa.)

   The following submitted November 2006 by Sharon Denson
Persons with connections to Chemung Co., NY (Tioga Co.until 1836)
Source: "10,000 Vital Records of Western New York 1809-1850" Fred Q. Bowman, Genealogical Publishing Company.
Citation code number-Publication Town-Newspaper Title-Date it appears in newspaper
1- Batavia - Republican Advocate
2- Bath - Steuben Farmers Advocate - (2-3/24)
3- Geneva - Geneva Gazette - Jan. 27, 1830 (3-1/27/30)
4- Jamestown - Jamestown Journal
5- Palmyra - Wayne Sentinel (Palmyra Register 1817-1821)
Bartlet, Warren of Elmira m. Letty Caldwell in Southport (3-9/30/29)
Beckwith, Henry m. Patience Dean in Southport (3-9/3/28)
Beckwith, Sheldon m. Betsey McHenry in Southport (3-1/9/28)
Brang, Conrad m. Phoebe Venorman in Elmira (3-1/29/17)
Brees, John m. Mary Ann Trusdell in Elmira (3-1/29/17)
Brees, John, 90, d. in Elmira (3-4/15/29)
Brooks, William C. m Lucinda Hopkins in Elmira (3-2/13/28)
Carpenter, Elijah m 10/28/13 Elvira Baldwin, dau of Capt. William, in Elmira;   Hon. Caleb Baker, Esq.  All of Elmira (3-11/10)
Carpenter, Joseph, 48, d in Elmira (3-6/3/29)
Carpenter, Sarah, mother of Jesse, Esq., d in Elmira (3-6/13/27)
Carr, Asaph m 3/9/47 Cordelia A. Handy, both of Corning, in Elmira (2-3/24)
Catlin, Phineas, Esq., 68, d. 1/31/27 in Catharine (one of the earliest settlers in Tioga Co.)  (3-2/21)
Cherry, John, merchant, m 10/31/11 Alcinoe Baldwin, dau of Maj. Isaac, in Elmira;     Henry Wells, Esq.  All of Elmira (3-11/6)
Collier, John A., Esq. of Binghamton m. Lydia Ann Shepard in Elmira (3-10/24/27)
Cooly, Isaac m. Stella Beckwith, dau of Samuel, in Southport (3-12/30/29)
Cradell (sic), Archibald S. m. Betsey Ann Strait in Elmira (3-8/29/27)
Culp, Henry H. m. Bethia Brown in Elmira (3-6/20/27)
Davis, Calvin L. m. Amelia Sanford in Elmira (3-10/24/27)
Dunn, Thomas m. Rachael Satterlee in Elmira (3-10/14/29)
Dykins, Jedediah, 63, d. in Elmira (3-5/2/27)
Edwards, George C., Esq. m. 5/21/12 Hannah Carpenter in Elmira;  Rev. Simon R.Jones.  All of Elmira (3-6/3)
Ely, James, merchant, of Owego m. Cynthia Bundy, dau of E., in Elmira (3-10/22/28)
Fife, Hiram of Bath m. 4/19/49 Matilda Smith of Elmira at the Methodist Parsonage in  Elmira;  Rev. H. N. Seaver (2-4/25)
Finn, Ananias m. Rebecca Tice in Elmira (3-2/3/19)
Finn, Ananias, 27, d. in Phelps (3-5/9/27)
Fisk, Francis A. of Bath m. 1/27/46 Mary S. McHenry of Elmira in Elmira; Rev. P. H. Fowler (2-2/4)
Fisk, Jabez m. Catharine Tinbrook in Elmira (3-10/6/19)
Greene, J. Montagne, M.D., of Southport m. Sabrina Hill in Tioga (3-1/27/30)
Grover, Hiram m. Keziah Bird in Southport (3-12/9/29)
Hammond, Lebbeus, Esq., 72, one of the earliest settlers on the Chemung River, d. 7/12/26  in Southport, Tioga Co. (3-7/26)
Hatfield, Richard m. 4/2/27 Sally Griswold in Southport, Tioga Co. (3-4/25)
Haviland, Ledyard D. m. Harriet Tuthill in Elmira (3-10/14/29)
Hayes, Alexander m. 12/17/27 Susan Sayre Mathews, formerly of Elmira, dau of Mrs. Henry   Towar, in Lyons (3-12/26).  Rev. Hubbell, offic.
Hoffman, John S. m. 2/3/42 Lydia Logan, formerly of Bath, in Elmira; Rev. Spaulding   (2-2/16)
Holden,______, 2 weeks, infant dau of Marvin, d. in Elmira (3-8/26/29)
Holden, A. E., infant son of Marvin, d. in Elmira (3-9/2/29)
Holden, Caroline L., 20, wife of Marvin, d. in Elmira (3-9/2/29)
Howell, Horace of Bath m. Caroline Carpenter, dau of Gen. M., in Newtown (3-5/16/21)
Kenyon, Almond m. Bathsheba Tubbs in Southport (3-1/20/30)
Kenyon, Benjamin, 50, d. in Southport (3-4/15/29)
Lathrop, Elizabeth, 10 mo., only child of Rev. Eleazer of Elmira, died in Lima (3-9/17/28)
Lawrence, Robert Esq. (age blurred - 70?) d. 5/18/26 in Elmira (3-5/31)
Levey, Stephen, Jr. m. Sally Gardner of Southport in Jerusalem, NY (3-1/9/28)
Loop, Hector of Elmira m. Delina Cummings of Allen in Nunda, Alleg. Co. (3-12/7/25)
Loop, Mary, infant child of Christian, died in Elmira (3-9/17/28)
McCann, ________ m. 3/30/16 Susannah Adams in Elmira (3-4/17)
McConnell, Mathew, 77, d. in Elmira (3-7/2/17)
McDowel, John of Ithaca m. 12/19/15 Laurinda Lowman in Chemung (3-1/3/16)
McHenry, Abraham m. Ruth H. Brewster in Elmira (3-5/12/19)
Maden, John m. 5/28/15 Phebe Elmira Teale, dau of Capt. N., (Nathan) in Junius (a double  ceremony - see marr. of Samuel Heney)  (3-5/31)
        Heney, Samuel m. 5/28/15 Harriet Teale, dau of Capt. N. (Nathan), in Junius;  H. W.
        Dobbin, Esq. (a double ceremony - see marr of John Maden) (3-5/31)
Mason, George W., editor of the Elmira Gazette, m. 3/25/49 Elizabeth Collingwood in   Elmira; Rev. A. M. Ball (2-4/4)
Mathews, James (Major) d. in Elmira (3-11/26/17)
Mathews, Thomas m. 3/19/17 Rebecca Mathews, dau of Vincent, Esq., in Bath (3-4/2)
Mathews, Peter, about 36, d. 10/26/26 in Southport (3-11/8)
Mathews, Vincent (Hon.), 80, formerly Counsellor in Elmira, then in Bath, and finally in   Rochester, d. in Rochester ("left an amiable family") (2-9/30/46)
Maxwell, Charles m. 11/22/27 Elizabeth Sayre, dau of Capt. Ebenezer, in Elmira; Rev.  Williams (3-12/5)
Maxwell, Guy, 43, d. 2/23/14 in Elmira (3-3/2)
Maxwell, Julia, 24, consort of Thomas and dau of James Sayre, d. 8/10/18 in Elmira (3-8/26)
Maxwell, Samuel H. m. 10/21/18 Rebecca Conkling in Elmira (3-11/4)
Maxwell, Thomas m. 11/17/12 Julia Sayre, dau of James, in Elmira; Rev. Simeon R. Jones (3-12/9)
Maxwell, Thomas, Esq. m. 9/12/19 Mariah Purdy, both of Spencer, in Spencer (3-9/29/19)
Maxwell, William m. 9/15/14 Zerviah Baldwin, dau of Capt. William, in Elmira; Hon. Caleb  Baker.  All of Elmira (3-10/5)
Mead, Judah m. 11/24/25 Belinda Cook at Big Flats (3-12/21)
Middaugh, Benjamin m. Fanny English in Elmira (3-11/12/17)
Miller, Hannah, 48, wife of Judge Miller formerly of Elmira, NY, d. in Utica Indiana (3-4/15/29)
Mitchell, James, 70, of Southport, Tioga Co., "was burned to death by falling in the fire on   the 19th ult.  He was addicted to intemperance." (2-3/2/31)
O'Handland, Owen m. Anna Fitz-Simmons in Elmira (3-6/9/19)
Pemberton, Thomas, 75, d. 11/24/25 in Elmira (3-12/21)
Perine, Lucy B., 23, wife of P.S. and dau of Whittington Sayre recently from Southport,  Chemung Co., d. 7/2/45 in Bath (2-7/9)
Purdy, Jonathan (Dr.) m. 2/4/29 Frances L. Satterlee in Elmira (3-2/25)
Rhodes, William C., junior editor of the Elmira Gazette, m. 1/7/45 Fanny P. Maxwell, dau of  Thomas, Esq., in Elmira; Rev. Vanzandt. All of Elmira (2-1/29)
Rickey, Stephen, 29, d. in Elmira (3-/2/17)
Riker, James, Jr., 21, d. in Big Flats (3-3/12/28)
Roberts, Henry W. of Wellsburgh m. Elizabeth Parshall in Chemung (3-1/27/30)
Sabins, John, Esq. of Ovid m. Nancy Black, dau of Michael, in Elmira (3-4/1/29)
Sayre, Abigail (Miss), 20, d.5/27/16 in Elmira (3-6/19)
Sayre, Coe B. m. Mrs. Pamelia Warden in Chemung (3-2/20/28)
Sayre, James, 76, a native of Orange Co. and one of the first settlers in Elmira, d. 6/4/26                    Elmira (3-6/21)
Sayre, James, 52, d. in Elmira (3-7/25/27)
Sayre, Mathew m. Fanny Bennett in Elmira (3-1/29/17)
Sayre, Whittington, Esq., 64, of Elmira died (date not given) in Jefferson, Wisconsin. ("Left  home on a visit to the West some three weeks ago...while fulfilling a promise to a  dying brother-in-law on his deathbed in Geneva that he would see his wife and daughter safe home.") (2-8/29/49)
Seely, George W. m. Sally Brooks in Elmira (3-3/12/28)
Shaw, _______, wife of Jonathan, d. "on Seely Creek"  (3-9/17/28)
Shockey, John, 72, d. 9/12/41 at his home in Elmira (2-9/22)
Shockey, John L. m. Betsey Laura Saunders, dau of John, in Elmira (3-11/4/29)
Shoemaker, Elisha, Esq., sheriff of Tioga Co., m. Catharine Floyd in Chemung (3-2/20/28)
Shoemaker, Phebe, 40, wife of Col. Elijah, d. in Nichols, Tioga Co. (3-8/22/27)
Smith, Job A., editor of the Elmira Gazette, m. Susan Fulton of Orange Co. in Elmira;    Rev. Barton (3-2/2/29)
Smith, John (Rev.), 68, d. 5/20/17 in Newtown, Tioga Co. (3-6/4)
Sterrett, Henry, 84, married 6/3/22 Mrs. Lany Ray, 75, "after a tedious courtship of three   hours...half way between Bath and Cohocton"; John  Slack, Esq (3-6/19)
Sterrett, Henry, 87, d. 8/26/22 in Bath (3-9/4)
Tinbrook, Peter B. m. 12/25/28 Frances Glodsmith (sic) in Elmira (3-1/7/29)
Van Meter, Joseph, 28, of Moorfield, VA d. in Elmira, NY (3-8/5/29)
Waeir, William C. m. 12/17/15 Mary Jones in Elmira (3-12/27)
Warne (sic), Israel m. Elizabeth Hurlbut in Erin (3-11/26/28)
Westlake, John m. Betsey Harrison in Elmira (3-5/12/19)
White, Elisha M., printer, d. 3/12/42 in Southport (5-5/1) (age 30 at death)
Whitney, Benjamin m. Mary Stark in Elmira (3-11/12/17)
Winans, Clark (Dr.), 22, d. 3/30/16 in Big Flats (3-4/10)
Woodworth, Charles (Dr.) m. 7/14/18 Eleanor Winans in Elmira (3-7/29)
Wynkoop,_________, (Mrs.), wife of Major Wynkoop of Elmira, d. 9/27/12 in Elmira (3-10/7)
Youngs, Archibald m. Eleanor Quick in Elmira (3-3/12/28)
Ziellie, Thomas H. of Peterborough m. 7/15/50 Ann Tooker of Elmira in Avoca; Rev. N.  Sawyer (2-7/17)
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 21 AUG  2006
By Joyce M. Tice