The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery

Tri County Clippings- Page One Hundred Fifty Nine

 Mrs. Horace Johns, died at her home in Sullivan the 21st of January after many weeks illness of typhoid fever, followed by Brights’ disease.  She was born in sullivan township, and died at the age of 62 years.  She had been a member of the Wesley M. E. church on Armenia Mountain for over forty years.  She leaves to mourn her loss her husband, Horace Johns, and six children:  Mrs. Fred Sutton, Mrs. Walter Coons, Mrs. Hulsley Wheeler and Miss Lena Johns, James Johns and Olney Johns, also six grandchildren.  She also leaves one sister, Mrs. Ella Hanes and two brothers, Eugene Wood, of Troy, and Sam Wood, of Sylvania.  Funeral services were held at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fred Sutton, Sunday at 11 o’clock.  Rev. Everett officiated, burial at Lawrence Corners.  (Handwritten date 1915)

 E. R. Gould, a prominent retired farmer, of Long Point, Illinois, died at the Silver Cross Hospital, at Joliet, Ill., December 8th, 6 a.m., following an operation performed upon him three weeks previous for gangrene, which had seriously affected his foot.  His passing will be keenly felt in the community of Long Point, where he has resided for many years, engaged in farming the greater part of his life.  Mr. Gould suffered a stroke of paralysis about five years ago, and since then he has been a semi-invalid.  Royal R. Gould was born February 23, 1848, at Rutland, Tioga County, Pa.  He came to Long Point in 1874, and four years later was united in marriage to Miss Mary L. Carlton.  He is survived by his wife, three sons and two daughters, viz: Ben and Larne, of Long Point; Leland and Mrs. Ethel Doerfles, of Joliet; Mrs. Golda Ritz, of Streator.  A brother, Frank Gould, of Bennington, Mich; eighteen grandchildren and two great-grandchildren also mourn his passing.  On May 11, 1921, Mr. and Mrs. Gould celebrated their wedding anniversary at their home in Long Point.  (Handwritten date 1926)

 Miss Lucy Johns, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Horace Johns, died at her home in Sullivan, the 25th of January of typhoid fever, at the age of seventeen years.  She is survived by her father, four sisters, Mrs. Fred Sutton, Mrs. Walter Coons, Mrs. Hulsley Wheeler and Miss Lena Johns, and two brothers, James Johns and Olney Johns.  The funeral was held Thursday at 11:30, from her sister’s home, Mrs. Fred Sutton, Rev. Baldwin, officiating.  Burial at Lawrence Corners, beside her mother and brother.  The floral offerings from her school and Sunday school were beautiful.  (Handwritten date 1915)

 Royal Gould died at his home in Long Point, Illinois, December 7, 1926, at the age of 80 years.  He was the son of Philander and Patience Gould, who were pioneer settlers of Bailey Creek, where the deceased spent his boyhood days.  About fifty years ago he went West and had become one of the prosperous farmers of Illinois.  Mr. Gould has visited this locality many times and has many friends here who will be sorry to hear of his death.  He was a cousin of Mrs. Rose Heyward, of Mansfield.

 Dennis J. Johns, aged 61, of Bridge Street, Corning, for the past 27 years a highly respected resident of that city, died suddenly Tuesday evening at Corning Hospital following injuries received Monday evening, November 13, near Wellsboro, Pa., when he fell from the top of a freight car while at his duties as a brakeman on the New York Central Railroad.  Mr. Johns was taken to Corning following the accident and taken to the hospital where it was discovered that he had a broken collar bone.  It was thought that his injuries, while painful, were not serious and he was considered to be improving steadily.  About 15 minutes before his death he was stricken with a critical heart condition.  Announcement of his death came as a shock to his many associates and friends who were confidently expecting his recovery.  Mr. Johns was born in Tioga, Pa., February 24, 1872, the son of Charles and Addie Johns.  He was married when a young man, in Elmira to Miss Fannie DeWitt, of Mainesburg, Pa., who survives.  For the past 37 years he has resided in Corning where his genial and kindly disposition, his integrity and faithfulness to the ideals in which he believed, won him the respect and regard of a host of friends.  He began employment with the New York Central Railroad as a brakeman and was advanced to the post of conductor in 1905, which he held until the railroad had to reduce its staff, thus making it necessary for many conductors to return to braking again.  Mr. Johns attended the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church and was a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen and the Corning Lodge of Odd Fellows.  Besides his widow, he is survived by one adopted son, Jack B. Johns, of Corning; two sisters, Miss Miriam Johns of Rochester, and Mrs. Ruth Benoit, of Sodus Point; four brothers, Burnsey, of Dosus Point, Victor and Seeley, of Rochester, and Herbert, of Cleveland Heights, Ohio.  The funeral was held from the late home, 252 Bridge Street, Corning, Saturday morning at 10:30 o’clock with the Rev. John O. Mabuce, pastor of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, officiating.  Interment in Mainesburg.  Mr. Johns was well known in Mansfield, where he conducted a draying business for several years before going to Corning.

 Halsey Updyke died at his home in Rutland township, near Roseville on Friday, November 22, after a brief illness.  He is survived by a widow, two daughters, Mrs. Joel Clark, of Lawton, Mich.; Mrs. Dummer Sweet of Altus, Pa.; two grandchildren, Cecil and Mildred Sweet; a brother, H. C. Updyke, and a sister, Mrs. Nelson Tiers, both of Sullivan.  Mr. Updyke was 73 years old, and had lived in Rutland all his lifetime.  Bright, happy and cheerful, he always carried sunshine wherever he went.  He ever had a smile and a pleasant word for his friends.  He was always sincere and straightforward, a true companion, father and friend, and enjoyed the confidence of all who knew him.  He was tender of heart and possessed a strong sympathetic nature.  Mr. Updyke was unostentatious, and of his many kind deeds in time of sickness and other trouble, which were performed for his friends, only a few became known.  Words of praise were ever on the lips of those who knew him best or had occasion to test his friendship.  In the death of Mr. Updyke, Rutland loses a good citizen, and memory of him will linger for many years to come.  (Handwritten date 1907)

 The funeral of Howard Gould, son of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Gould, who live near Roseville, was held Friday of last week.  His death was due to abscess of the brain, and occurred the preceding Wednesday.  He was the only child, and was a bright, lovable youngster, who will be sadly missed; not only by his parents but by his playmates.  He was about eleven and one half years of age.

 Mrs. Julia A. Updyke died Thursday morning at 1 o’clock at the home of her son, Colin B. Updyke, on West Hill street, Elmira, aged 72 years.  She is survived by the following sons:  Colin, of Elmira; Foster, on the Lowman road; Walter of Friendship, N.Y.; and Elmer of Mainesburg; two daughters, Mrs. Mary Smith of Troy; Mrs. Helen Richmond, of Friendship, N.Y.; two brothers, John Clark, of Elmira and Colin Clark, of Wellsboro; two half brothers, Frank Clark, of Elmira and Homer Clark, of Mansfield; two sisters, Mrs. Frank Lanterman, of Elmira and Mrs. Dell Kiley of Covington; two half sisters, Mrs. Gertrude Hager, of Mansfield, and Mrs. Stella Crawford of Elmira Heights.  The funeral was held at Woodlawn Chapel Saturday at 3:30 p.m.  The remains were placed in the Woodlawn receiving vault and in the spring will be removed to Roseville for burial.  (Handwritten date Feb. 5, 1925)

 Mrs. Theresa Johns died at the home of her daughter, mrs. Mary W. Johns in Mansfield, Pa., Tuesday morning, aged 83 years.  Besides her daughter she is survived by five grandchildren, Theresa, Eleanor, Wilbur, Winthrop, and Robert.  A prayer service will be held in the Wildwood Chapel in Williamsport, Pa., Thursday afternoon at 2:30 o’clcok.  The Rev. John H. Stanton of the Mansfield Presbyterian Church will officiate.  Burial will be in the Wildwood Cemetery at Williamsport.

 Hugh Walker, an old soldier, died Saturday morning.  He leaves a widow, one son and four daughters to mourn his loss.  The funeral was held in the Roseville M. E. Church Monday afternoon at 2, Rev. Smith officiating and comrades of the deceased acting as bearers.  The interment was in Watson cemetery and was in charge of Monroe Miller of Millerton.

 Mrs. Emma Walker died on Thursday, January 15, in Millport, NY, of heart trouble.  She was well known here having lived here the most of her life.  She went to Millport last October to keep house for her son, William Walker, a pastor there.  She is survived by five daughters and one son.  The funeral was held from the M. E. church last Monday, the Rev. I. T. Johnson officiating.  Her remains were buried by the side of her husband in the village cemetery.  (Handwritten date 1914)

 Mrs. Floyd C. Wilcox died at her home in Roseville recently, aged ?7 years.  Mrs. Wilcox is survived by her husband, two brothers, George S. Blizzard, of Waverly and Charles W. Blizzard, of jersey City, NJ; two sisters, Mrs. Harriet Holly, of Pleasant Hill, Ind.; Mrs. Newton Hungerford of Waverly; the following children:  John H. wilcox, Roseville, Pa.; Howard and Asa Wilcox, Mrs. F. W. Lucas and Mrs. Lewis Ameigh, of Elmira and Mrs. George Redington, of Waverly.

 Lemuel A. Trowbridge, Sr., died unexpectedly at the home of his son, harry, near Mansfield at 8:45 a.m. Friday, June 23, 1939.  He was born April 13, 1866, at Trowbridge, Pa.  He leaves his wife, Mrs. May Bailey Trowbridge; three daughters, Mrs. George Hurd of Elmira, Miss Minerva Trowbridge of Rochester, and Mrs. Jay Kent of Rutland; three sons, George D. Of Mineola, NY; L. Albert, Jr. Of Rutland, and Harry B. Of Mansfield; a sister, Mrs. Georgiana Ferguson of Trowbridge; twelve grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.  The funeral was held Sunday at ? p.m. at the home of his son Harry.  Burial was in Jackson Center cemetery, Rev. Orey Crippen officiating.

 Gamaliel J. Cook, better known as Maley Cook, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Edith M. Stone, at Rutland, Pa., February 20.  The decedent was born in Tioga, Pa. in 1840 (?).  In 1846 he moved in the town of Jackson and in 1850 located in Rutland and has since been a resident of that town. Mr. Cook is survived by his widow, E. S. Cook and five children, Merritt, Otis, Edith, Miner and George Cook; also a sister, Mrs. Lyman Benson who was too ill to attend the funeral.  He also leaves twenty grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.  Mr. cook was always ready to lend a helping hand and was a good accommodating neighbor.  The funeral was held at the Jobs Corners Baptist church at 2 o'’lock Monday afternoon.  Burial was in the Jobs Corners cemetery, Rev. Seymore Barrett officiating.  (Handwritten date 1920)

 Our quiet countryside was greatly saddened by the passing of our beloved citizen, Mrs. Melissa Stout Sergeant, at 11:30 p.m., Saturday September 18, 1926.  Although nearly 78 years old, Mrs. Sargeant was enjoying excellent health and an active life.  Her passing was as the setting of the sun at eventide.  Melissa Stout, daughter of John T. and Polly Stout, and one of ten children, was born in Rutland township, Pennsylvania, September 22, 1848.  Her education was obtained in the “little red school house”, and a pioneer home.  On March 18, 1865, the deceased was married to James F. Sargeant, of Sullivan county, Pennsylvania.  Her early married life was spent in a typical pioneer home on South Mountain, Sullivan county.  During those early years three sons, John, Royal and Levi were born.  In 1873 the family moved to Rutland.  It was here that Calvin and the only daughter, Pearl, were born.  On December 15, 1913, Levi passed into the Great Beyond, there to await the coming of his mother.  Mrs. Sargeant was for more than sixty-one years a devoted wife and loving mother.  Many are the testimonials of her kindness and generosity; always extending a helping hand and cheering words to those in need, even at great sacrifice to herself.  For more than fifty years she had been an earnest conscientious member of the Rutland Baptist Church.  The funeral was held in the Rutland Baptist church on Tuesday, September 21, at 1:30 p.m.  Her pastor, the Rev. Orey Crippen, officiated, assisted by Rev. W. W. Keller, of Daggett.  The event was largely attended and the floral contributions were without equal, both as to numbers and beauty.  The sermon was preached from John 11:28, “The Master is come and Called for Thee.”  John Benson sang two touching solos.  Burial was in the family plot in the Watson cemetery.  She is survived by her husband, three sons, John I., at home; Royal, of Sylvania; and Calvin, of Gillett; one daughter, Mrs. Pearl Forrest, of Rutland; two sisters, Mrs. Gertrude Sargeant, of Troy, and Mrs. Lucinda ?? of Columbia Cross Roads; one brother, John T. Stout, of Roseville; nine grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, and hundreds of lesser relatives and life long friends.

 Troy, Nov. 19—Bert J. Rockwell, 67, died at his home, Mansfield, R.D. 4, early today.  He is survived by his widow, Flora Marsh Rockwell; one son, Allen B. Rockwell, Wilkes-Barre; also three grandchildren.  The funeral will be held at the home Thursday at 2:30 p.m., the Rev. Mr. Griffith, pastor of the Mansfield Baptist Church, officiating.  Interment will be in the Mainesburg Cemetery.

 Mansfield—The funeral of Mrs. Anna Rose was held Monday at 2 p.m. at her home in Roseville, Dr. Chester A. Feig of Mansfield officiating.  Burial was in the Watson cemetery, Roseville.  Mrs. Rose died at the home of her brother, Manley Benson, in Mansfield.  She was born in Rutland Jan. 3, 1859, and had been a member of the Methodist Church of Roseville since childhood.  Surviving are two sons, Herman Rose of Mansfield and Elmer of Elmira; a daughter, Mrs. Susie Updyke, of Rutland; four brothers, manley Benson of Mansfield, Laverne of Elmira, Archie of Rutland and Elmer of Los Angeles, Calif; a sister, Mrs. LaVinnie Lawrence, of Mansfield; seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

 Rarely has the announcement of a death in this community brought with it such general and sincere sorrow as was occasioned by the sad news of the death of Mrs. L. M. Gates, at her home in Brooklyn, Feb. 7th.   Mrs. Gates was in her usual health until within one week of her death, when she was suddenly stricken with acute gastritis followed by acute dysentery and heart trouble.  Every human means was used to bring relief, but after a week of most intense suffering the end came very suddenly.  Mrs. Gates was born in Clay, Onondaga county, NY, August 23, 1873.  Her maiden name was May Frayer.  At the age of seven years she became an orphan, and from that time made her home with her older sisters.  On her seventeenth birthday she was married to Mr. Gates and at once assumed the care of his sons, burdge and Reuben, and most conscientiously and faithfully did she perform every duty towards these step-sons.  Mrs. Gates was in very many respects a most remarkable woman.  How few women with her many home duties would feel that they could give so much of time and strength to the Lord’s work.  Her idea of duty reached out beyond the narrow circle of home.  She realized, what so many of us fail to grasp, that she could in no way better serve her own, and do her whole duty by them, than by being equally faithful and zealous in the Master’s work.  Few people realize what a tower of strength she was to her husband in his work.  Mr. Gates, in speaking of his wife said, “There was never a woman more in sympathy with a pastor in his work than was she in mine.  No one knows the amount of strength and purpose she put into my life.”  She was ever ready to put aside her own home duties that she might be a help and companion to her husband in his work.  Mrs. Gates never did anything half-heartedly.  Whatever she undertook she entered into with a zeal and earnestness that accomplished wonders.  Few women could accomplish one-half she did, and yet she did everything so easily.  She was systematic and always carefully planned her work.  She was a devoted mother—patient and kind amid all the petty trials that came to the mother of such a family of little ones; yet very firm in the government of her children.  One look from her expressive eyes would do more to control than many words from others.  So often we have heard her say, “I do pray for patience that I may not fret over the little annoyances that must come up every day;” and we cannot but feel that the secret of her cheerfulness and patience was this constant pleading for Divine help.  Her prayers still ring in our ears as she would plead so earnestly in the prayer meeting for God’s guidance and blessing.  In the seven years Mrs. Gates spent among us she won for herself a host of friends and admirers, and her death has filled our hearts with a deep and abiding sorrow.  When we look back over these years and recall what she passed through in the way of sickness and suffering and sorrow, and then remember the happy smile she always wore we marvel at her cheerfulness and admire her wonderful strength of character.  Some one has said, “It is a benediction to look into those rich brown eyes of hers.”  Those of us who saw her as she was just leaving Mansfield last September have a “beautiful picture to hang on memory’s wall.  We can recall just how she looked as she bade us good bye, one of her rare smiles lighting up her face in spite of her tears.  Mrs. Gates accomplished more in the thirty-one years of her life than many do who live to the full allotted time.  She lived long for she lived well, because “A life spent worthily should be measured by a noblier line—by deeds not years.”  (Handwritten date 1905)

 One of the most deplorable details the ADVERTISER has had to record in a long time is that of Mrs. Lucy Van Ness Smith, widow of the late Wesley Smith, who died at 8:30 Sunday morning at her home in Extension street, following an illness of about ten days of double pneumonia and pleurisy.  Her death leaves motherless and fatherless two bright little boys—Rayburn and Anson.  The husband and father died on August 25, 1904, as the result of injuries sustained at a barn-raising some time previous.  Mrs. Smith moved from her farm in Rutland to Mansfield on April 1, last in order that her sons might have the benefit of the superior educational advantages afforded here.  She was 50 years old on Tuesday, February 13.  For many years she was a devout and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and ever active in all Christian work.  In the home she was a devoted wife and a loving and indulgent mother.  Besides her sons, she is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John N. Van Ness; three sisters—Mrs. Seymour Squires, Mrs. Judd Seeley, Miss Susie A. Van Ness, and one brother, William Van Ness.  John Van Ness who died on Monday morning, was a cousin.  The funeral was held from the house at 1 p.m., Tuesday afternoon, and at 2 o’clock from the M. E. church, the Rev. Theron R. Green officiating.  (Handwritten date 1906)

 Troy, Pa., Nov. 12—Returning home at 10 o’clock Thursday morning Mrs. George S. Benson and daughter, Mrs. William Preston found the body of Mr. Benson in the garage hanging from a beam.  Dr. P. N. Barker was hastily summoned and the body was still warm but life extinct.  For the past few days he has suffered from pains in the head for which he has been treated.  He acted strange for a week, and when on her return from town Mrs. Benson found the garage locked, she unlocked it with another key.  The awful tragedy met her eyes.  Mr. Benson was a retired farmer and owned several farms.  He was a man much respected.  Several years ago he moved to Troy and his son, L. G. Benson has been managing the farm on the Porter Road.  The funeral will be here Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the home of his daughter, Mrs. Augustus Sambrook on Elmira street, the Rev. N. Johnstone officiating.  Burial will be in Glenwood cemetery.  The decedent is survived by his widow; two daughters, Mrs. William Preston and Mrs. Augustus Sambrook; two sons Louis of Columbia Cross Roads and L. G. of Troy.  (Handwritten date 1920)

 William Freeman DeWitt, one of the leading citizens of Troy, Pa., many years, died Sunday at 10:30 a.m. at the family home in that boro.  Mr. DeWitt had been seriously ill since November 2, last, when he suffered a paralytic seizure while engaged in hunting in the woods near Troy.  His condition showed no improvement during the six months illness when he was given every medical attention available.  The decedent was born in Monroe county, Pa., August 24, 1848.  His grandfather, Colonel Joseph DeWitt, was a pioneer resident of Wells township, and the family was one of influence in the community.  Mr. DeWitt was educated in the State Normal School at Mansfield, Pa.  For a period of 14 years Mr. DeWitt was employed as a clerk in the Reddington, Maxwell & Leonard store in Troy.  In 1881 Mr. DeWitt formed a partnership with L J. Ballard in the dry goods business and later the firm became DeWitt, Ballard and Handrahan.  Of late years Mr. DeWitt had been engaged in the produce business with his nephew, C. W. DeWitt.  The decedent had served on the Troy school board, was president of the borough board of trustees several years and a member of the official board of the Troy Methodist Church.  In his fraternal affiliations he was active as a member of the Free and Accepted Masons and the Royal Arch Masonic Chapter.  Mr. DeWitt was twice married, his first wife having been Miss Jennie Rooker, of Muncy, Pa.  A daughter, Helena, now Mrs. J. Maxwell Beers, of Elmira, was born to them.  After the death of Mrs. DeWitt, a second marriage was with Miss Blanche Armstrong at Milton, Pa.  A son was born to them, the late Dr. William DeWitt, who was the chief surgeon at the Blossburg State Hospital and who died about three years ago.  Mr. DeWitt is survived by his widow, the daughter, Mrs. J. Maxwell Beers, of Elmira; a brother Calvin DeWitt, of Mansfield, and two grandchildren.  The funeral was held at the family home Tuesday at 2 p.m.  burial was in the Oak Hill cemetery at Troy.  (Handwritten date 1922)

 Loren B. Noble committed suicide last Wednesday, just before the dinner hour, at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Alonzo B. Noble, at Welles.  He used an old revolver, an heirloom, it having been owned by his grandfather, and which contained one load, and the deed was done in the barn.  His funeral was held at the family home, Saturday afternoon and interment was made at Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira.  Loren Noble married Miss May McClure, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. W. McClure, of Snedekerville, and recently had taken possession of the John Brace farm, about one mile west of this place.  Mr. and Mrs. Noble were making arrangements for moving here and starting housekeeping, and much work to this aim had been started.  He had wrapped the water pipes in the house, had protected the fruit trees by winding against the cold, and was cheerful and genial anticipating much pleasure in locating here.  The day of his death, he had taken his wife to her school, near Roseville, where she teaches, and friends who saw him that day tell of his amiability and evident contentedness, in preparing for his future home.  That he should end his life in this manner is explainable only to the fact that when a boy of about eight years, he fell from a silo, and for several weeks his condition was very low.  An operation for trepanning was made, and at intervals since he has been gloomy, and had occasionally asked if there was any chance for this injury ultimately injuring his mind.  It is probably that when he saw the old revolver he was depressed and the idea of killing himself took possession of his mind.  He was a young man, well liked, had bright prospects for the future, and as far as known, had not any semblance of trouble that would influence the suicidal act.  Mr. Noble is survived by his parents, his wife, and one brother, Glenn, a sister, Mildred, at home.  The funeral was held at the home of his parents Saturday forenoon at eleven o’clock, Rev. Seymour Barrett, of Welles officiating.  Burial was in Woodlawn cemetery, Elmira.  (Handwritten date 1913)

 Joseph Jackson died on Sunday morning at 9 o’clock at his home, on the Sylvania road after a lingering illness.  Mr. Jackson was a successful farmer who had resided in Troy township nearly all his life of seventy-six years.  The decedent is survived by one sister, Clarissa, and two brothers, Harrison of Burlington and Richard of Armenia.  The funeral was held at the family home Tuesday morning at ten o’clock, Rev. A. G. Cameron of sylvania officiated.  Interment was in Troy, in Glenwood cemetery.  (Handwritten date 1914)

 Anna, beloved wife of J. B. Lowery died last Wednesday at their home in the southern part of this boro, aged about 65 years.  Mrs. Lowery was a daughter of the late Timothy Brace, and a sister of Mrs. D. C. Kingsley, Messrs. Oscar, Nelson and William Brace, and of Mrs. William Goodwin, of Pine City.  Besides her husband she leaves one son by a former marriage and a daughter, mrs. James Bailey, of Elmira.  The funeral was held on Friday from the Bailey Creek Baptist church; burial in Lawrence Corner’s cemetery.

 Thurston, Dec. 23—Mrs. Susan E. Makely died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Gertrude Warters in Thurston, Saturday morning, Dec. 20, at 7 o’clock.  It was a great shock to her family as she was only ill in bed one day.  She was taken with bronchial asthma and had a stroke which caused her death.  Mrs. Susan E. Makely was born in Hornby, Dec. 31, 1844, a daughter of Eden and Mirandy Beardsley.  They removed to Bradford County, Pa., when she was a small child.  She was united in marriage to Henry Makely Dec. 31, 1869, who died March 4, 1910.  She lived at their home in Rutland, Pa., 53 years and has spent the last two years with her daughters.  She will be greatly missed by all who knew her as she was a Christian woman of beautiful character.  She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Emerson Smith of Rutland, Pa., and Mrs. Harry Warters of Thurston, and one son, Archie Makely who is now living in his mother’s home at Rutland, Pa., also 9 grandchildren.  The funeral was held at the Methodist Church at Lawrence Corners, Pa., Tuesday at 1 p.m.  burial at Lawrence Corners Cemetery.

 George G. Beardsley, one of Troy’s most prominent businessmen, died unexpectedly at his home on Canton street, March 4, aged 74 years.  He was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, January 11, 1849, the son of Eden and Maranda Pinkham Beardsley, descendants of the Puritans and Pilgrims.  Mr. Beardsley went to Troy in May 1874.  For years he was the head of the hardware firm of Beardsley & Colony.  He retired from business a few years ago.  Mr. Beardsley was a member of the Presbyterian church and was actively engaged in all of Troy’s civic affairs.  He served several terms as a member of the borough council.  The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon.  Mr. Beardsley is survived by his widow and one sister, Mrs. Susan Makely, of Campbell, NY.  (Handwritten date 1923)

 died Tuesday night, June 23, near Lawrence Corners, where she had lived for forty-two years.  She was born in Sullivan township, December 28, 1848, the daughter of John and Harriet Jones Makely, and was last of a family of ten children to answer the final call.  She was married to Horace J. Smith (now deceased) in January 1870.  Five children were born to them, Jennie (Mrs. Paul Jupenlaz), deceased, Fred, who died in infancy; Bert J. Smith, of Mansfield, Walter H. Smith of Rutland and Lucy (Mrs. Milton Stone), of Elmira.  Besides the living children she is survived by 17 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren.  She died twenty years to a day, lacking a few minutes, of being the same hour of the date of her husband’s death.  Although she had been in failing health for some time, she always kept a cheerful attitude toward life.  She has been a member of the church for over 60 years, and as long as her health permitted, was an active member.  The funeral was held in the Baptist church at Lawrence Corners, Thursday, June 25, Rev. Orey Crippen officiating; interment in Lawrence Corners Cemetery.  (Handwritten date 1925)

 On Tuesday, November 20, Jennie Louisa, wife of Paul Jupenlaz, died at the family home on Pickle Hill, in Richmond township.  Death was due to typhoid pneumonia, and followed an illness of only five days.  Mrs. Jupenlaz was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Horace J. Smith, and was 34 years and three months old.  Besides her parents, she is survived by her husband, two children—Dora and Fred—and two brothers and one sister.  The funeral was largely attended from the home at noon on Friday last, the Rev. Dr. Ezra Tinker, pastor of the Mansfield M. E. church, officiating.  Interment was in Oakwood cemetery by the side of a daughter, Ada, who died eight years ago.  Mrs. Jupenlaz was devoted to her home, husband and children, and possessed those womanly atributes which endeared her to a wide circle of friends to whom information of her sudden passing came as a distinct shock.  The unmeasured sympathy of the community goes forth to the sorrowing husband and motherless little ones.

 Louise Horton, widow of the late Harvey Horton, died this morning shortly after 2 o’clock, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. D. M. Birkett, in Extension street.  Death followed a fortnight’s illness.  Mrs. Horton was in her 63d year.  She was a long-time member of the M. E. church, faithful to the duties and demands of that membership  In the home circle she was ever the devoted, solicitous wife and mother, and was an estimable woman in all walks of life.  There survive, two daughters—Mrs. D. M. Birkett, of Mansfield, and Mrs. John P. LeBarron, of Elmira, N.Y.; one stepdaughter, Mrs. Ransom Bryant; one stepson, Bruce Horton; two brothers, Henry and John Makely, of Rutland, and three sisters, Mrs. Jonathan Wood, of Sylvania; Mrs. G. Washington Reynolds, of Roseville, and Mrs. Horace Smith, of Rutland.  She was preceded to the better world by two children—Freddie and Hattie.  The funeral will be held from the home of Mr. and Mrs. Birkett on Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock.  Interment in Hope cemetery.