The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery

Tri County Clippings- Page One Hundred Forty Five

Submitted by Marolyn CAMPBELL Cole
These obituaries are presented in scrapbook order. I can't think of a better way of understanding a community than by reading an obituary scrapbook.
 Married, at the Presbyterian church last evening, LeRoy Horton of Blossburg, Pa., and Miss Mary Agnes daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Vary Weller, South Main St.  Seldom has a marriage ceremony been solemnized in this place which afforded society the opportunity to display itself in all its elegance and formality as did the wedding last evening.  Fashion’s critic would have been a disappointed participant in the festivities as the appointments throughout were most complete.  The beauty of youth, the elegance of gowns and the artistic effect in decorations made the scenes at the church and at the residence during the reception, unusually charming and attractive.  About 150 guests were assembled at the church.  At 8 o’clock, Miss Anna Krom took her place at the pipe organ and for half an hour rendered a classic musical program.  At the half hour the harmonious change in the music into the Lohengrin wedding march announced the entrance of the bridal party.  Messrs Dean Albert Smith of Binghamton, Lou Smight of Ithaca, W. Horton of Salamanca, N.Y., and Ely Kinney of this place, let the way to the altar.  The first bridesmaid, Miss Lillian Blackwell of Towanda, came next, followed by the two other bridesmaids, Misses Emma and Jane Horton of Binghamton, sisters of the groom; then came the maid of honor, Miss Arra VanDeMark of this place, and lastly came the bride attended by her father.  At the altar they were met by the groom attended by his best man, John M. Davidge of Binghamton.  The Episcopal wedding ceremony was performed by the bride’s pastor, the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle.  At the close of the ceremony the party retired from the church to the strains of the Mendelsohn recessional.  The reception was tendered at the home of the bride’s parents at 9 o’clock.  About 100 guests were served to an elegant wedding repast.  The bride was handsomely attired in a gown of white satin of plain design, trimmed with beautiful Duchesse lace.  The bridal veil was held with a cluster of orange blossoms.  The bride carried a white prayer book.
 The maid of honor was very prettily attired in white liberty silk and carried white roses.  The three bridesmaids wore handsome gowns of light blue crepe de chene with applique trimmings and chenille fringe.  They carried bouquets of red roses.  The bride was the recipient of a most beautiful display of gifts.  Many large cut glass pieces, an elegant variety of solid silver and other handsome articles comprised the presents.  The church and house were decorated with palms, smilax and carnations.  The Eolian orchestra was present at the house and discoursed music during the reception.  Mr. and Mrs. Horton left on the midnight train for a two weeks’ wedding trip South.  Upon their return they will live at Blossburg where they have a new residence about completed.  The bride is one of the young ladies of this place who has been conspicuous in leading musical and social circles.  As a vocalist she has appeared in public often and was for some time soloist in the Presbyterian church.  From this town where she has lived for a number of years and from the circles where she has been so well known, she will be greatly missed.  Mr. Horton is well established in business, occupying the responsible position as superintendent of the Blossburg tannery.  During his brief residence in this place two years ago he made many acquaintances and friends.  With the young couple go the best wishes of their many friends.

 Samuel N. Blood, a well known citizen, a political worker, and member of the Sayre board of education, died at his residence on Hayden Street at 4:15 o’clock this morning.  In spite of his advanced age, until about a year ago, Mr. Blood maintained his mental and physical acumen.  Then followed one of the few illnesses in his life and from that time he continued feeble.  His recovered sufficiently to return to his desk and transacted business as usual, but his intimate friends could see that the fires of vitality were burning low.  One week ago this evening he attended a meeting of the school directors, assisted in the transaction of business but not with her former spirit and as the meeting was continued to a late hour, twice he dozed for a few seconds, only to awaken, catch the trend of the discussion and ask pertinent questions.  The next day he complained severely from neuralgia of the arms and chest and went to the office of Dr. LaPlant for treatment.  On the following day Dr. LaPlant was summoned to his house and told the family that if the disease went to Mr. Blood’s heart, death would immediately follow.  Sunday and Monday his condition was much better.  Yesterday afternoon he and his daughter, Mrs. E. J. Fearon, went to his office, and after he had transacted some business, he again returned home.  During the evening he and Mrs. Faron went for a walk and at 10 o’clock he retired and slept comfortably until 4 o’clock.  Then he awakened, asked his faithful wife for a drink and again laid his head on his pillow, but apparently did not sleep.  At 4:15 o’clock he asked her to ascertain the time and just as she told him, he gave a groan as the neuralgia grappled his heart, settled back on his pillow and Mrs. Blood immediately summoned her daughter, fearing the worst.  Five minutes later, just as Mrs. Fearon arrived at his bedside, the heart gave its last beat.  For many years Mr. Blood had maintained prominence in this section of the country on account of force of intellect.  His mind was clear, strong, quick to grasp a point and certain in making a deduction.  In whatever affairs he took part, whether in politics or business, he was always a leading figure.  He was born in Townsend, Mass., August 5, 1830, and was educated in the high school in that town.  July 2, 1836, (Note:  This is obviously an error he would only have been 6 years old, but that is the date they gave in the article) he was married to the woman who has assisted him materially during the years of his life, Miss Ellen Angell, of Worcester, Mass.  In 1858 they moved to Athens where for many years he was prominently identified with Republican politics and was burgess of the borough for one term.  He also served as a member of the board of school directors in that town for 12 years and to his efforts were largely due the growth of the Athens schools and their present efficiency.
 In Athens he was engaged in the foundry business with the firm of Blood & Co., the business being conducted on the present site of the foundry of C. M. A. Sorensen.  During the year 1878 he moved to Sayre, which was then in its infancy and he has witnessed and had a large share in the growth of this town.  For a time he was superintendent of the Lehigh tool room, and then retiring, he opened an office for the transaction of real estate business.  He was secretary of the Star Building & Loan association and to him is largely due the success of the association.  He was elected a member of the board of school directors here at the municipal election two years ago, and from his long experiences in the Athens schools, was a valued member of the board.  The two of his three years of service on the board would have been completed June 1.  Mr. Blood rarely missed a meeting of the board and yesterday told his daughter that he must save his strength so that he would be able to attend an important meeting of the board to be held this evening.
 Mr. Blood is survived by his aged wife, one son, C. A. Blood of New York, who is general freight agent of the Lehigh Valley railroad, one daughter, Mrs. E. J. Fearon of Sayre, one brother, John P. Blood of Chicago and one sister, Mrs. L. C. Jefts of Townsend, Mass.  For many years he was a member of the Baptist church.  The funeral it will be necessary for his son to arrive here from New York before any decision is reached, but the body will be taken to Worcester, Mass., for interment in the Hope cemetery.

 Benjamin F. Haupt, a well known and highly respected citizen of Athens, expired suddenly from heart trouble yesterday afternoon at the residence of Frank Prince, South Main St.  Yesterday morning he worked and at noon ate a hearty dinner and was apparently in his usual good health and spirits.  About 1-o’clock he went to Tioga Point cemetery, to cut the grass on his wife’s grave and returned to Mr. Prince’s residence, where he boarded, about 4-o’clock.  After putting away the tools he had used he went to his room on the first floor in the rear part of the house.  At 4:30 o’clock Mrs. Prince, not knowing that he had gone to his room, had occasion to enter it and saw him lying on the bed.  He had changed his shoes for slippers while sitting on the edge of the bed, and was lying over backwards.  Mrs. Prince at first thought that he was asleep but his position was not one that a person would assume if lying down to rest.  Looking at him more closely she saw his face was purple and eyes open.  She raised him up only to discover that he was cold in death.  After changing his shoes, he had evidently fallen over on the bed, having succumbed to heart failure.  It is thought that he had over exerted himself in the hot sun at work to which he was unaccustomed and this had brought on the attack  He had worked very hard at the cemetery as his clothing was wet through with perspiration.
 Benjamin F. Haupt was born in Columbia county 62 years ago, and for the last 40 years had lived in Athens with the exception of four or five years when he lived in Owego, Olean, N.Y. in New Jersey and Ohio.  When about 14 years old, owing to being unable to endure the treatment accorded him by his step father he left home to make his way in the world alone.  He then became separated from a brother and sister of whom he got no trace until 20 years afterward and since then they had carried on a correspondence with each other.  February 11 of this year his wife, who was a sister of Mrs. Prince, died and he is survived by an only daughter, Miss Kathreine Haupt, who is a teacher in the public schools of Honesdale.
 He was a veteran of the civil war, having enlisted September ’61 in Co. 95th Pa Volunteers and was honorably discharged for physical disability in June of the following year.  In September ’64 he re-enlisted in the 203rd Pa Volunteers and served until June ’65.  During his service for his contry he contracted a chronic trouble due to exposure from which he never recovered.  He was a harness maker by trade and was employed by F. S. Meade,  Susquehanna St. at the time of his death.  Mr. Haupt was of a retiring disposition, and seldom talked of himself or his own affairs, and was a genial and kind man who thought more of others comfort than his own.  The funeral services have not yet been announced.

 Rev. E. W. DeWitt, pastor of the Athens Baptist church, officiated at a double wedding in the private parlors of the Hotel Snyder in Waverly, at 3 o’clock Wednesday afternoon, in which the contracting parties are well-known Athens young people.  Miss Elizabeth Huff and Mahlon Cranmer first took the vows making them husband and wife, and Miss Celia DeLaney and Fred J. Rice were witnesses of the ceremony.  Immediately following this ceremony Miss DeLaney and Mr. Rice were united in marriage.  Mr. and Mrs. Cranmer being the witnesses.  Both bridal couples left on the Lehigh Valley at 4:30 o’clock for a short wedding journey.  On their return they will made their homes in Athens.  Mrs. Cranmer and Mrs. Rice are both highly respected young ladies, were educated in the Athens public school and are active workers in the Baptist church.  Mr. Cranmer is employed in the grocery of C. L. Pierce and Mr. Rice is an employee of the American Bridge company.

 Mrs. B. F. Haupt died at her home on North St. at 11:40 o’clock this morning at the age of 55 years.  Mrs. Haupt was taken ill with pneumonia just a week ago and her sudden death came as a shock to her many friends in this community.  Mrs. Haupt’s maiden name was Sarah E. Myers and was born in Athens where most of her life has been spent.  In 1875 she was married to B. F. Haupt.  She was a member and an active worker in the Presbyterian church and a highly respected by all who knew her.  She is survived by her husband and one daughter Katherine and four sisters and one brother, Mrs. Frank Pierce (?) and Mrs. Tyler of Athens, Mrs. Emma Tozer of Buffalo and Mrs. E. O. Madara of New Jersey and Fred N. Myers of Binghamton.  The funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

 Mrs. Samuel Campbell died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. P. H. Woolsey in Livingston Manor, N. Y. at 2 o’clock yesterday morning at the advanced age of 90 years.  Mrs. Campbell was born in Maine and lived in Athens about 25 years moving from here about eight years ago.  She is survived by two daughters and three sons, William of Stevens Point, Mrs. Stevens and Mrs. Woolsey of Livingston Manor, Chas. Campbell of Dansville and John of Athens.  The funeral will be private and will be held from the home of John Campbell on South St. at 2:30 o’clock tomorrow afternoon.  Rev. E. W. DeWitt will officiate and interment made in Tioga Point cemetery.

 Ithaca, N.Y. Oct. 31—Miss Sarah A. Perkins, the last of an old family formerly of this city, died at her home in Athens, Pa. On Monday, at the age of eighty-eight years.  The remains were brought to this city for burial Thursday.  No funeral services were held here as the body was taken immediately to the cemetery.  Miss Perkins was the daughter of Augustus Perkins who was a prominent resident here in the early history of the village.  He was a successful dry goods merchant, conducting for many years a store in East State Street, opposite the Ithaca hotel.  During her early life Miss Perkins lived in this city, the place of her birth.  She had always been a close friend of Miss Emeline Quigg, who now lives at No. 115 East Seneca street in this city.  They were school girls together and the strong friendship between them continued throughout their lives.  Miss Perkins had lived in Athens for about thirty years, living alone during her latter years.  She was highly esteemed by all who knew her, and was a member of the Presbyterian church.

 Mrs. Wolcott, the wife of H. L. Wolcott, junior partner in the firm of Wolcott & Son, died at her home on Center St. at 10 o’clock last evening of typhoid fever, after an illness of less than a week.  Her condition was not considered critical until yesterday morning when it became worse and she gradually failed until death came.  The funeral will be held Sunday.  The time and place will be announced in tomorrow’s NEWS.
 Mrs. Wolcott’s maiden name was Daisy Stecker.  She was a daughter of the late William Stecker, who lost his life from injuries received while in the discharge of his duties as a police officer of this borough in Feburary, 1898.  She was born in Philipsburg, N. J., in 1876 and came with her parents to this place where she has since resided.  She graduated from the Athens High School in the class of 1895.  A year ago last August she was married to Harry L. Wolcott, one of Athens prominent young business men.  Besides her husband, she leaves a mother and one sister, Mrs. Charles Durrant of this place.
 Seldom has the announcement of a death come with equal force upon the community.  Her unselfish disposition, winning manner and womanly character made friends of all who knew her.  By her untimely death as she was just entering upon what promised to be a useful and happy life, a loving home circle has been sadly broken.  She was a true friend, an affectionate daughter and gentle sister, a loving loyal wife; and her life was one which will always be held in loving remembrance by family and friends.

 Mrs. Emma Stecker, widow of the late William Stecker, who was fatally shot while in the discharge of his duties as night officer of Athens borough ten years ago, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Charles Durrant, Center St., last evening at 8 o'clock from cancer from which she had suffered for the last four months.  Funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at 4 o’clock at the house, Rev. Mr. Horseman, pastor of the Baptist church officiating.  Interment will be made in Tioga Point Cemetery.
 Mrs. Stecker was born in Rieglesville, Pa., May 5, 1848, and was married to William Stecker October 22, 1871, at Philipsburg, Pa., coming to Athens thirty years ago.  To them was born two daughters, Mrs. Charles Durrant and the late Mrs. Harry Wolcott.  She is survived by Mrs. Durrant and one granddaughter, Miss Elsie Durrant of this place, one sister, Mrs. Anna Ballock, of Springstown, N. J., and three brothers, George Border, of Easton, Pa., Titus Borden, of Springtown, and Quintis, of Coffetown, Pa.

 The marriage of Miss Katharine Haupt to Mr. Eugene Sabin is announced.  The ceremony took place at Warren, Ohio, Sept. 16, 1905.  The bride was well known in Athens and has the congratulations of all of her early friends.

 Anna, wife of Thomas Grantham, died at the family home on South Main street, Saturday evening last at about ten o’clock.  She had been in failing health for about a year, but a few days before her death she received severe injuries from a fall which caused her intense suffering and was the immediate cause of her death.  Mrs. Grantham was born and spent her early life in Sussex County, England.  She was a sister of the late Rev. W. B. Thomas, at one time the pastor of the Methodist church in this village, and for many years a well-known and honored member of the Wyoming M. E. Conference.  She possessed naturally a cheerful and lively disposition, and a keen sense of right and justice which was a marked characteristic of her whole life.  She was also gifted with a very retentive memory, and when but a child was fond of memorizing and reciting whole poems, and when only eight years old she could recite, without prompting, every word in her spelling-book of one hundred and fifty pages, giving the definitions and parts of speech.  She especially delighted in memorizing the Scriptures and could recite whole chapters.  Among the favorite portions she learned were the thirty-seven Psalms, the twelfth, forty-first, forty-third, forty-fifth and forty-ninth chapters of Isaiah, with a number of chapters from the Gospels of Matthew and John, and the entire three Epistles of St. John, and she had a very original way of interpreting many of these verses and of making practical applications of them to the every day occurrences of life.  Her early home life was pleasant and her surroundings such as would cherish and develop the qualities of a true and beautiful womanhood.  When twelve years of age she gave her heart to the Savior and was received into the Methodist church at her home, then under the care of Rev. James Hirst, and then commenced her Christian life which has not been so demonstrative as some, but has been one of steady growth and glow of spiritual light.  On Christmas day, 1848, she was married to Mr. Thomas Grantham, and in 1857 they emigrated to this country and came directly to Athens which has since been their home.  Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Grantham, four of whom, two sons and two daughters died in infancy, two of them in England and two in this country.  With her husband the others survive her viz., Miss Agnes E., who resides at home; Walter V., of Buffalo, N. Y., and Herbert T., of Philadelphia, Pa.  During her long residence here Mrs. Grantham has been held in the very highest of esteem by her friends and acquaintances.  Quiet and unostentatious in tastes she and her husband have ever been kind and of ready sympathy for the needy, but have especially labored to make their home pleasant and the centre of attraction to their children.  In this home her influence has been all that a true wife and mother could make it.  Her strong spirit has left an impress on her children which time cannot efface.  Her Christian life here has been consistent and earnest.

 Silas Leonard, who was stricken by apoplexy while at work in the Athens Furniture company’s factory Friday afternoon, died Saturday afternoon.  The funeral service will be held at the house tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock corner of Elmira and Ann St. the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle officiating; interment at Tioga Point cemetery.  Mr. Leonard was born in the town of Nichols on March 22, 1842.  He spent his youth in that neighborhood and in 1860 came to this vicinity where he since resided the last 20 years of his live being spent in this borough.  He was at one time a member of the I. O. O. F., though he had not belonged to the order for several years.  Mr. Leonard had been employed at the furniture works the last 16 or 17 years and was highly esteemed by his employers and fellow workmen.  He leaves a wife two sons, Herman, of Philadelphia and Ray of Athens, and one daughter, mrs. John Weeks of Elmira.

 George E. Jenney died at his home in Milan, near the Ulster “narrows,” at 4 o’clock yesterday afternoon from heart failure following an attack of grip, at the age of sixty years.  He is survived by his wife, a son William, and a daughter, Mrs. Reynolds, of Sayre.  He also leaves a mother, two sisters, Mrs. Rice, of Smithfield, and Mrs. Seth Elsbree, of Ulster, and three brothers, L. W. Jenney, of Smithfield; Seymour Jenney, of Milan, and Mahlon Jenney of Auburn.  The funeral will be held in the church at Milan at 11 o’clock tomorrow morning; interment in Tioga Point cemetery.

 John M. Kramer died at his home on South Main St. at 11 o’clock last night after a long and painful illness from a complication of diseases.  The funeral will be held  in St. Joseph’s church at 10 o’clock Monday morning, Rev. M. F. O’Rourke officiating.  Interment will be made in St. John’s cemetery in Waverly.  John M. Kramer was born in Shickshinney, Luerne county, April 19, 1843.  At the age of eighteen years he enlisted in Company I. Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves, being one of the first to go to the defense of his country and he remained at the front until the war was over.  In the battle of Spottsylvania, one arm was so badly shattered as to completely destroy its usefulness unless he wore an apparatus, for which the government gave a sum to renew every five years.  When the Sixth was mustered out in May, 1864, he was one of the patriotic men who determined to stay on the firing line until the rebellion was put down, and so he was transferred to Company E. 191st Pennsylvania, as a veteran, in which he remained until Lee’s surrender and his regiment was mustered out of service, June 28, 1865.  He was a charter member of Encampment No. 28, Union Veteran Legion, in which he took an active part and remained loyal up to the time of his death.  For over twenty five years he was an engineer on the Lehigh Valley railroad and came to Athens in 1891.  He subsequently left the Lehigh’s employee and opened a wholesale liquor house on South Main St., which he had since conducted.
 He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Mrs. Grant Lindsey, of Athens and Mrs. M. P. Murphy, of Sayre, and two sons, John of Athens and Bert of New York.

 Mrs. Eunice Elizabeth Chubbuck, widow of the late N. J. Chubbuck, of Monroeton, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ida Chubbuck, 106 Pennsylvania Ave., at 8:25 o’clock last evening from a complication of diseases, at the age of sixty four years.  She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Ida Chubbuck, of Athens, and Mrs. Helen Brown, of Burlington, and one son Henry Hemenway, of Mountain Lake.  She also leaves three brothers, Hiram Thurston, of Binghamton, Anson Thurston, of Tioga, Pa., and Russel Thurston, of Powell.  The funeral will be held at the home on Pennsylvania Ave., at 3 o’clock tomorrow afternoon, Rev. J. P. Warner, pastor of the Sayre Methodist church, officiating; interment in Tioga Point cemetery.

 James Ketchum, one of the most prominent farmers and grangers of Western Bradford died at a hospital in Philadelphia Sunday and the body was taken to Canton Wednesday and taken to his late home near Minnequa Springs.  He had been ill for a year and the last few months had gradually failed.  A few days ago he went to Philadelphia to be examined by a specialist and operated upon if necessary.  Upon examination he was found to be suffering with a cancerous growth of the most vital organs and it was impossible to operate in any way to relieve him.  He was about fifty years old, spent his life in Western Bradford and was highly respected.  A few years ago he was a Republican candidate for representative from this county.  He leaves a wife.

 The funeral of Mrs. Bessie M’Callum was held yesterday morning at 11 o’clock at the home in College Avenue.  The Rev. R. Lew Williams officiated.  The remains were taken to New Albany, Pa., for burial.

 Waverly—Mrs. William Lindsey, an old resident of Waverly, having lived here for many years, died last Saturday in Jersey City at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Hattie Myers.  The remains were brought here yesterday afternoon for burial.

 Towanda, Pa., June 10—Governor Pennypacker has set the day for the execution of Bigler Johnson.  On July 25, the man who pleaded guilty to the murder of his wife, Maggie B. Benjamin, at her home in Macedonia, on the night of Sunday September 18, 1904, will pay the penalty for his crime in the jail yard on the east side of the jail at this place.  Sheriff S. F. Robinson could not be reached to learn if he had any plans yet for the execution of the wife murderer.  Many requests have been received for passes to the hanging.  Bigler has recently been visited by Rev. E. W. DeWitt of Athens, and it is expected that this minister will accompany him to the gallows.  Bigler was not told of the date of his hanging.  Sherrif Robinson was away and no word had yet come from Harrisburg giving the official notification of the execution.  The motion made by Litttley & Wilson for a new trial for Charley Johnson for the killing of Maggie Benjamin is not disposed of.  It is understood that the attorneys in the case asked for time to file additional briefs and that this is the reason why no decision has been made by the court in Charley’s case.  The execution of Bigler Johnson will be the first hanging in Bradford county since July 1, 1875, when Albert Brown, colored, was hanged for the murder of Cora Greenleaf, a young girl of Canton township.  There was no immense crowd in Towanda at that time.

 Silias B. Carmer, an old and respected resident of Athens, died at his home on Susquehanna St. this morning at 12:20 o’clock, his death being due to a complication of disease.  The funeral will be held from the house Friday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock and from the Baptist church at 2 o’clock.  Rev. E. W. DeWitt will officiate and interment will be made in Tioga Point cemetery.
 Silas B. Carmer was born in New Jersey April 15, 1826, where his boyhood live was spent.  When about 20 years of age he was married to Miss Anna Eliza Kiser and shortly after their marriage they moved to this county.  To them were born three sons and four daughters—Oscar A. Carmer and Mrs. Geo. Brink of Litchfield, Mrs. F. A. King, Mrs. Frank Campbell and Mrs. Ethan Jakeway of Athens, W. H. Carmer of Nichols and Henry K. Carmer of Elmira.  In 1862 he enlisted in Company H, 13th Pennsylvania Volunteers of which he was made second Lieutenant.  After being mustered out he re-enlisted in Company I, 187th Pennsylvania Volunteers and in September 1864 he received an honorable discharge on account of physical disabilities.  For the last 24 years he has been a resident of Athens and at one time conducted a boarding house on Susquehanna St.  About eight years ago he sustained a paralytic stroke from which he never fully recovered.  In 1893 he married his second wife, Mrs. Lydia King of Oswego, who survives him.

 A quiet and pretty home wedding took place last evening at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. George E. Vail on Main St., when their daughter Elizabeth Patterson Vail and G. Warren Peck were united in marriage.  Only the immediate relatives and a few friends were present and witnessed the ceremony as performed by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, pastor to both the bride and groom.  The wedding supper was then served after which the bridal couple left for a few days trip, after which they will return and commence housekeeping in their newly furnished home on North Main St.  Mr. and Mrs. Peck are among the best known and most highly respected young people of this place, where they have spent most of their lives.  The best wishes of their many friends are extended to them at this happy occasion.

 The body of John A. Perkins arrived here from California in charge of his son, Augustus, and a simple committal service was held at the grave yesterday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock when the bodies of Mr. Perkins and his wife were interred into the family burial plot at Tioga Point cemetery.  Rev. Frederick Perkins, of Lodi, N. Y., a nephew of the deceased officiated at the service and there were present at the burial their two sons, Mr. John T. Perkins, of New York city and Augustus of California, and one daughter, Miss Anna Perkins of New York.  The following brothers and sisters were in attendance:  Mrs. Anna Ford and George B.Perkins, of Binghamton, and Mrs. Howard Elmer, of Waverly, Doctor Ford, of Binghamton, the husband of Anna Ford was also present, and several friends and relatives from this vicinity.  There was a deep reverented scene that clustered around this simple ceremony for the deceased severs one more link in the chain of bright memories of early years.  Mr. John A. Perkins was born in Athens and in early life was a clerk in his father’s George A. Perkins’ store.  When the California gold fields opened up such a field of wealth to the astonished world, Mr. John A. Perkins went to that country which was considered a far off locality then, and with a wise foresight he saw something better than the search for gold.  There was a more enticing field for him in the cultivation of the soil and he went to farming in the Napa Valley where the wealth of well tilled farms yielded a most satisfactory reward.  He was prospered greatly and after a time came back to this vicinity and purchased the Stone tannery in East Waverly where he conducted the business for a time, but the shining fields and fertile soil of California still held its attractions for him and he sold his property and returned to California where he resided up to the time of his death, about two years ago.  Mrs. Perkins died about a year later at the home of her daughter in Connecticut and it has been the wish of the family ever since that time to bring their remains to the family burial plot near the old home.  This wish has now been realized and now they rest beside father and mother and kindred where the friends endeared to them in fondest affections may make their pilgrimage to their graves and take a retrospective view of the past awaiting the time of the great reunion in fields beyond the shining river.

 John R. Lambert, oldest son of James Lambert of Milltown, died at 5:30 o’clock this morning at the home of George Tabor, Desmond St., aged 28 years.  The deceased had been a sufferer from consumption for some time.  He returned home about two months ago from the South where he had been for the last two or three years.  He was well and favorably known in this place and vicinity, having been formerly employed in various grocery stores.  He was a graduate of Warner’s business college, Elmira.  He is survived by his father, one sister and four brothers, William George, Fred and Harry.  The funeral services will be held in the Church of the Epiphany Wednesday morning.  Interment will be made in the Catholic cemetery at Waverly.

 One of the prettiest home weddings of the season occurred at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hinton on South Main St., last evening, when their daughter, Evelyn Tracy was married to Mr. Frank henry Cook.  Promptly at 8 o’clock Mrs. Willard Ballou took the place at the piano and a moment later the bridal party appeared and the simple, yet impressive ceremony, was performed by the Rev. C. G. Dilworth of the Baptist church.  The bride’s dress was white Crepe de chine.  She was attended by Miss Emma Sweet, who wore pink organdie.  Leon Cook, a brother of the bridegroom, acted as best man, and the ushers were Messrs Edward Collins, G. A. Loop, M. C. Bressler and F. V. Catlin.  After the ceremony, refreshments were served to about 75 guests.  The young couple were recipients of many useful and beautiful presents.  Mr. and Mrs. Cook are among the most popular and best known young people in town.  Mr. Cook holds a position with the Star Steam Laundry at Sayre, and Mrs. Cook has for some time past assisted on the editorial staff of the Gazette.  They will reside at No. 10 Chestnut Street.

 On a warrant sworn out by W. S. Woodward, the secretary of the Athens township school board, truant officer, R. J. Mulligan, after a diligent search found and arrested Ezra and Mary Everett.  The children are charged with incorrigibility and refusing to attend school as the state law requires.  Ezra is 15 years old and his sister is 12.  They were arraigned before Justice Johnson who sentenced them to Glens Mills refuge school near Philadelphia until they should deem it fit to discharge them.  About 7 o’clock Chief Mulligan and Mr. Woodward took the children and their parents to the Forrest house for supper and on the midnight train the youngsters were taken to their new home in charge of W. S. Woodward.
 N. W. Baker of Maple street died last night at 11:30 after a short illness of pneumonia.  His body will be taken to Towanda tomorrow morning on the early train at which place the funeral services will be held on Saturday.

 Joseph Clinton Gregg, an old and highly esteemed citizen, died at his home on Paine St. Saturday afternoon about 3 o’clock.  His death was due to the infirmities incident upon his advanced age.  The funeral service will be conducted by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle at his late home tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock.  Joseph Clinton Gregg was born December 12, 1828, at Bethany, N.Y.  He resided with his parents on a farm at Dayton, N.Y., until 17 years of age, when he left home and went to Quincy, Mass., where his uncle J. L. Gregg, resided.  The uncle was a civil engineer and from him Mr. Gregg learned the rudiments of the profession which he followed during his life, with the exception of the last 15 years.  With this uncle he helped survey railroad lines in many of the Northern states and in Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas and Florida.  In 1869 he went to Brazil and was engaged several years on the survey of the first railroad built for the Brazilian government by Americans.  He was married September 12, 1865, to Miss Harriet Stickney Hubbard at York, Pa., who with two children, henry of Pittston, and Marietta of this place, survives.  In March, 1870, he came to Athens at the instance of the late Colonel Welles and was engaged in the survey of the Geneva, Ithaca and Sayre railroad, then spoken of as the Geneva and Athens.  After this line was built he spent several years surveying in this section of the United States, and deciding to give up the work that was proving too laborious for him, he established a coal and wood business near the Lehigh Valley depot, which he conducted a few years.
 The last 12 or 15 years of Mr. Gregg’s life were spent in the quietness of his home.  He was fond of study along archaeological and biblical lines and almost knew the Scriptures by heart.  He was a member of the Presbyterian church of this place, serving at one time as elder, and always taking an active part in matters pertaining to its welfare.  Quiet and retiring in his manner, kindly and thoughtful towards all, Mr. Gregg was indeed a Christian gentleman of the old school.

 Rev. W. W. Andrews, an old and highly respected citizen of Athens died in his apartments in the Andrews block at the corner of Elmira and Bridge streets, at 7:50 o’clock this morning from jaundice from which he had suffered for the last week.  William Winton Andrews was born in Morris, Otsego county, N.Y., seventy eight years ago, and when a young man learned the trade of blacksmithing.  Fifty years ago he was ordained as a minister of the Methodist church, joining the Oneida conference.  In 1875, he gave up active work in his chosen calling and resumed his trade as a blacksmith locating in Waverly.  In 1881 he moved to Athens where he followed blacksmithing until about twelve years ago when he gave it up.  In early manhood he was married to Mary Thompson at Norwich, N. Y., who died here in August 1906.  To them were born six daughters, Miss Apphia Andrews, of Athens; Mrs. Marie A. Loomis, of Syracuse; Mrs. D. A. Perkins, of Schenectady; Mrs. William Heavener, of Staten Island; Miss Martha Andrews, of Troy; Mrs. J. C. Carner, of Athens and one son, Arthur W. Andrews, of Rochester.  The guneral will be held in the Methodist church Friday, the hour to be announced later.  Rev. C. M. Surdam, presiding elder, officiating, assisted by Dr. Simpson, and interment will be made in Tioga Point cemetery.

 George a. Kinney, burgess of Athens, and one of the most prominent and highly esteemed citizens, died at his home on Main St. at 11:05 last night from acute kidney trouble brought on by an attack of grip, after an illness of three days.  Funeral services will be held at the house at 3 o’clock Monday afternoon, Rev. A. F. vonTobel, assisted by Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, officiating.  Interment will be made in Tioga Point cemetery, where Rural Amity Lodge F. & A. M., will conduct the ritualistic services of the order.
 George Anson Kinney was born March 23, 1843, at Bath, N. Y., the son of Chester D. And Eliza M. Kinney.  He was educated in the academy and State Normal school at Mansfield.  At the breaking out of the Civil war, though not yet of age, he enlisted without the consent of his parents.  On reaching Harrisburg with his company Mr. Kinney was taken seriously ill and so alarming was his condition that his father secured his discharge and brought him home.  He was subsequently drafted and was on his way to Elmira to join his company when the news came of Lee’s surrender.  In early manhood he was engaged in mercantile pursuits in Tioga county and came to Athens in 1870, where he entered the hardware business with E. G. Fitch, under the firm name of Fitch & Kinney, the store being located on the site of the old Grantham property on South Main St.  Fire destroyed this store and the firm erected the building at the corner of Main and Bridge streets.  This was the first firm to move uptown and the wiseacres predicted failure, but the subsequent development of the town proved that Mr. Kinney’s judgment was sound.  Mr. Fitch retired from the business, in 1885, and Mr. Kinney conducted it until October 1904, when he sold it to the Geo. L. Roberta Hardware company.
 Mr. Kinney was married to Laura A. Ely in June, 1876, who died December 28, 1878.  To them was born one son, Ely M. Kinney, now of Schenectady, N. Y.  September 24, 1884, he married Julia M. Ely, his first wife’s sister, who with son Ely, survives.  He is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. Vine Granda of Athens, and Mrs. L. Hicks of Bayonee, N. J.  He was a life long member of the Presbyterian church, and for years had been a deacon, a position he occupied at the time of his death.  He was a member of Rural Amity Lodge, F. & A. M. and though of late years he had not taken an active part in the order, he maintained a lively interest in its affairs, and no member of the order is more loyal to its teachings than he had always been.  In politics Mr. Kinney was a Republican, but had always placed good citizenship above blind fealty to party.  He had held many offices in the municipal government and was burgess at the time of his death.  In the death of Mr. Kinney every citizen of Athens feels a personal loss and to his sorrowing family the sympathy of everyone goes out in this dark hour.  By his unquestioned integrity and unblemished character, his unswerving loyalty to his friends and his ideal home life, his genial personality, his daily exemplification of all that is truest and best, and his unfaltering faith he represented the highest type of manhood, a cultured Christian gentleman.

 Word was received here Saturday night announcing the death of Melvin Bressler, which occurred at the home of his brother in Baltimore about 6 o’clock Saturday afternoon.  No further particulars were given except that in the morning he was apparently as well as usual and died 10 hours later in convulsions  Mrs. B. F. Gregory who is a sister of the young man, left for Baltimore with her husband yesterday afternoon.  Mr. Bressler was well known in Athens, having attended the High School here and afterwards having been a clerk in Ballard’s shoe store.

 The last sad rites over the remains of the Rev. John Henry Sandaal were celebrated in the Church of the Holy Ghost at 9:30 o’clock this morning.  The casket had been taken to the church yesterday afternoon and placed on a catafalque built for the occasion in order that all might have an opportunity of viewing the features of the deceased priest.
 The solemn requiem high mass was begun with the recital of the Divine Office by the priests present.  The celebrant of the mass was Father Hanley of Honesdale; deacon, Father Green of Overton; sub-deacon, Father Naughten of Waverly; master of ceremonies, Father Gilleogley of Sayre.  After the solemn ceremonials were over the procession began to the Catholic cemetery at Sayre, where interment was made.  All the visiting priests accompanied the remains to the grave.
 The sermon was preached by the Rev. Charles F. Kelley, D. D., of St. Joseph’s College, S. J., Philadelphia.  He is well known to the people of Athens, having been pastor of the Church of SS. Peter and Paul at Towanda for 23 years until a year or so ago when he gave up the pastorate and re-entered the Society of Jesus as an instructor.  The address was a scholarly one, and The News regrets that the lateness of the hour at which it was delivered precludes an extended report.  The text was: “It is appointed unto man once to die, and after death, judgment.”  The speaker paid an eloquent tribute to the many good qualities of the priest and as a citizen.  Among the visiting priests were the Very Rev. E. A. Garvey of Scranton, vicar general; the Revs. Donohoe of Plymouth, Bloomer of Elmira, O’Toole of Providence, Comerford of Archbald, Costello of Williamsport, Shanley and Gilleogley of Sayre, Coroner and Morrison of Towanda, Lynott of Jermyn, Fagan of Great Bend, Dunn and Bustin of WilkesBarre, McCabe of Auburn, Manley of Susquehanna, Hussie of Plains, Garrity of Ralston, Shields of Bentley Creek, Lee of Corning, Dixon of Carbondale, Loftus of Scranton and McNally of Georgetown.  About 25 Towandians were present.

 Athens—Mrs. Laura merchant Estabrook died at the home of F. L. Estabrook, East Athens, Saturday at 10:40 o’clock a.m., aged 75 years.  Her maiden name was Laura Merchant and she was born in Newark Valley, N. Y., June 19, 1830.  She was a woman of the highest moral qualities and in social life she had a sunny way that attracted everyone to her.  Her Christian character was sincere, earnest and deep and she was always doing some act or speaking words of cheer to help those around her.  She has been foremost in the work of the Presbyterian church and her labors will be a bright remembrance to all who knew her.  Her husband, George L. Estabrook, died in 1899, but she has continued to reside in the family home up to the date of her death.  She had been on a visit to Mr. C. B. Estabrook’s home in Washington but her health became so feeble that she longed for her home on the Susquehanna and she was brought here a little over a week ago.  She has one surviving brother, W. H. Merchant, residing in Lawrenceville, Pa., and her step children in Athens and Washington.  Her funeral took place from her late residence this afternoon at 2 o’clock, Rev. W. H. Sawtelle officiating, assisted by Rev. A. F. von Tobal.  Interment in Tioga Point cemetery, in charge of Rogers 7 Miller, undertakers.

 Hon. Jesse Spalding died at his home in Chicago yesterday, the dispatch received here merely announcing the fact of his death, but giving no particulars.
 Jesse Spalding was born in Athens township on the farm now owned by Joseph Thurston, April 13, 1828.  He was the son of John Spalding and the grandson of Joseph Spalding who came to this county from Plainfield, N. J., in 1796 purchasing and settling a large tract on the west side of the chemung river opposite Athens.  The Murrays and Tozers were pioneers contemporaueous with Joseph Spalding and whose realty holdings adjoined his.  The early life of Jesse Spalding was spent on his father’s farm and in the early sixties he purchased from C. F. Welles his interest in a large land contract in Michigan and Wisconsin, moving to Chicago and devoting his energies to the lumber business from which he amassed a large fortune.  He was one of the largest operators in lumber in the West where he was universally known as the “Lumber King.”  It is estimated that at the time of his death his income was approximately $100,000 a month.  During his residence in Chicago he was one of the city’s foremost citizens.  For many years he was president of the Commercial bank of that city being succeeded by James Eckels who was comptroller of the currency of the United States under President Cleveland, but Mr. Spalding remained on the board of directors up to the time of his death.  He was appointed Collector of the Port of Chicago by President Harrison and for many years was an active director and president of the Electric Light & Power company of Chicago.  He was also identified with many of the leading corporations in Chicago and was an active worker in many benevolent and charitable organizations.
 As a memorial of his son Robert Spalding who died in early manhood, he built the Spalding Memorial Library building in Athens which was opened in June 1898.  It cost about $40,000 and Mr. Spalding also endowed the building.  During the last few years, Mr. Spalding had frequently visited Athens, always maintaining a deep interest in the welfare of his native town and their public institutions and enterprises.  He is survived by his wife whose maiden name was Adele Moody, and three daughters, Mrs. McElwee, Mrs. Harris and Mrs. Walker and one son, Charles F. all of Chicago.

 Mrs. Lucius A. Sherman of Lincoln, Neb., who died very suddenly from angina pectoris at Wellsboro, August 12, was a daughter of the late Gen. Horace Williston of Athens.  She is survived by her husband, who is dean of the University of Nebraska and professor of English in that institution by her daughter, Miss Winifred, who was visiting with her at Wellsboro; by her son, Horace P. Sherman of Lincoln, Neb., and by her stepson, Louis Sherman of Lincoln.  She is also survived by her sister, Mrs. Katherine Williston, who is spending the summer at Wellsboro, and by her brother, the Rev. Horace Williston of Tacoma, Wash.  The Wellsboro Agitator says:  “When Mrs. Sherman died most of her family were separated from her by long distances.  Her husband was in Duluth engaged in lecturing and literary work of the most exacting description; her son was in a camping party in Colorado a point remote from mails and telegraph, and her stepson was ill in Lincoln.
 Mrs. Sherman’s marriage with Professor Sherman occurred a little more than 20 years ago.  Their home was at first for several years, in New Haven, Conn.  Mrs. Sherman possessed scholarly proclivities and attainments, and was of great assistance to her husband in his professional work.  She was also most efficient and amiable in her home life.  But the influence for good of her benevolent, Christian character was felt widely beyond the limits of her home and her death is an irreparable loss not only to her family but to the community in which she lived.

 Hurrying home to reach the bedside of her sick mother, Miss Mary A. Ryan was herself stricken and died just before the train on which she was traveling reached Athens, at 3:30 o’clock yesterday afternoon.  Miss Ryan had been a nurse in the University hospital at Philadelphia for several years, living at 2009 Chestnut Street, in that city.  She had been seriously ill for the last two weeks from an attack of the grip, and was in a very weak condition.  When informed of the illness of her mother, Mrs. W. W. Ryan, of 114 Chestnut St., she decided to come to Athens to see her.  Miss Mary Rice, another nurse, who had roomed with her for several years, made the journey with her at her request.
 They were coming through on Lehigh train No. 1 yesterday afternoon, and were in the Philadelphia coach at the rear end of the train.  They intended to get off the train at Athens, but as it was very wet outside, and she desired to avoid it as much as possible she with the assistance of Miss Rice and one of the brakemen on the train walked through to one of the head coaches, so as to be opposite the station when the train stopped.  She had hardly settled down into the seat, when she complained that the air in the car was stuffy, and Miss Rice noticed that she was very sick.  Within a moment she complained of being very sick, and then calling the name of her friend two or three times she lay back on the cushions and died.  Her friend had everything necessary to use in the emergency, but they were of no avail.  She was taken through to Sayre as a doctor could be produced there much more quickly than in Athens.  She was carried into the baggage room, and Dr. C. H. Ott, of the Robert Packer hospital arrived soon afterword.  He found that life had been extinct for several minutes.
 The father of the dead woman had gone to the Athens station to meet her and when she did not get off the train he came on to Sayre immediately.  He went into the station where he was infromed of his daughter’s death.  Mary A. Ryan was born in Athens, April 4, 1868.  She was a graduate nurse of the University of Pennsylvania hospital, having been graduated from that institution eleven years ago.  She is survived by her parents; Mr. and Mrs. Michael Ryan, Chestnut St., Athens, four sisters: Nellie L. And Alice Ryan, of Athens; Mrs. J. B. Smith of Phillipsburg, N. J., and Sister Athanasius of the Convent of Mercy, Pittsburg; also six brothers: Thomas F., James M., Eugene M. and Stephen V., all of New York City; Joseph F. of Youngstown, Ohio, and John E. Of Pittsburg.  The funeral announcement will be made later.

 Robert Knapp, a son of J. W. Knapp, died at nine o’clock this morning at his home on Upper Clark street after an illness lasting for more than six weeks.  The young man was unfortunate enough to contract the typhoid fever at Ithaca, and was removed to his home in Waverly as soon as it was possible to do so.  The news of the sad event is and will be a great shock to his many friends.  He is survived by his father, mother and four brothers, Harry, Joseph, Ralph and George.  Mr. Knapp graduated here from the Waverly high school in 1901, and was fortunate in securing a free scholarship in Cornell university, where he has attended the past two terms, and until the dreadful disease attacked him.  He was a member of the Cornell basketball team, and a pledged member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon society.  The funeral will be held from his father’s home on upper Clark street on Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock, the Rev. P. R. Ross, pastor of the First Presbyterian church, officiating.  E. S. Hanford will act as funeral director.  

Tri-Counties Genealogy & History  
This page added to the site on 23 December, 2000