The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery

Tri County Clippings- Page One Hundred Forty Four

Submitted by Marolyn CAMPBELL Cole
These obituaries are presented in scrapbook order. I can't think of a better way of understanding a community than by reading an obituary scrapbook. 
 Charles G. Hanna died at his home in Waverly yesterday afternoon, where he had lived for the last 15 years.  He was a son of the late George W. Hanna at Ellistown.  The Hanna family was among the old settlers in this vicinity.  He is survived by one son, Joseph B., of Waverly, and one daughter, Mrs. L. S. Mills of Buffalo; also one brother, Quigg Hanna, of East Waverly, and three sisters—Mrs. C. H. Sawyer, Mrs. Lyman Buck and Mrs. J. E. Holbert of Waverly.  Funeral services will be held from the house at 2 o’clock Friday afternoon, the Rev. J. W. Nicholson officiating; interment in Forest Home cemetery.
 The life of Nicholas Thome terminated as sensationally as did some of his acts when he possessed the power of doing things which were as astonishing as they were unexpected.  His actions at times were like those of a mad man, while upon other occasions his serene and gentle manner impressed those with whom he came in contact.  But for all that he was as a rule erratic to a degree.  When the police of this city at 10 o’clock Friday morning were called up over the phone by Chief Mulligan, of Athens, Pa., who stated that there had just been found on the river bank at that place the body of a man, and that in the pockets of the coat were found papers and letters addressed to Nicholas Thome, the police needed no description of the body to give them assurance that Thome was dead.  Many times during the week the friends and acquaintances of the man had predicted that he would be his own destroyer, but there was fear lest he injure others, probably fatally, before his own departure from the world.  He had died from carbolic acid poisoning.  The blowing up of the Avenue hotel at Elmira heights last Saturday morning was laid to Thome.  It was recounted that in the spring, while he conducted the place, the property being jointly in the name of himself and wife, he secured what money he could and suddenly departed for the west.  He remained in St. Louis several months and his wife tiring of the drudgery and responsibility of conducting the business, leased the hotel last May to pearl Scott, and went to live with her father, George Ettenberger, on Sullivan street.  Thome returning in July, was provoked, because he found a new tenant in the place.  He wanted the business for himself, and when he went to see his wife the last week in July he was threatening in his manner.  George Ettenberger ordered him from the house, and the wife upheld her thater.
 Then it was that Thome is said to have drawn a revolver and threatened to shoot.  Believing the enraged man to be in earnest, Ettenberger and Mrs. Thome left the house pursued by Thome.  As Ettenberger reached the sidewalk he fell dead.  The doctors laid it to heart trouble and fright.  Thome left the city, but returned July 29, and was arrested for carrying concealed weapons and threatened assault on his wife.  On the former charge Recorder Bogart declared him guilty, and sentenced him to ten days straight in the county jail.
 His attorney, Joseph P. Eustace appealed from the judgment and Thome was released on bail until the September term of county court.  On the charge of threatened assault he was held for trial which was scheduled for yesterday morning, before Recorder bogart.  There was much speculation as to whether William Kraft, his bondsman, would not be called upon to settle.  The reason is obvious to those who followed Thome’s acts lately.  At the Forepaugh circus a week ago last Friday, Thome created a disturbance, and was ejected from the tent.  He was also ejected from a Maple avenue car for refusing to pay his fare.  Late the same afternoon, it is alleged, that he purchased several sticks of dynamite at Gridley’s hardware store, stating that he was a farmer and intended to blow up stumps.
 It was shortly after 12 o’clock Saturday morning that the Avenue hotel was partly wrecked, and the proprietor, Pearl Scott and his wife narrowly escaped death.  The police suspected Thome, and last Sunday morning in their search, ran upon him near Millport.  As Officer Eggleston placed his hand upon Thome’s shoulder, Thome pulled two revolvers, covering Officers Eggleston and Ross.  The officers were non-plussed.  Thome backed away and was permitted to make good his escape.  A posse some time later went in persuit of the fugitive, and while there were plenty of rumors and alleged clues, there appears to have been nothing tangible concerning his whereabouts until the information Friday morning of the finding of the body on the river bank at Athens.  The letters in the clothing he wore were from a publishing house for whom Thome had been engaged to sell “The Life of Roosevelt” and “The Slocum Disaster.”
 The carbolic acid with which Thome ended his career was purchased in this city.  The label on the bottle, bore the address of Hooker, the druggist, of Main and West Third streets.  Mr. Hooker does not recollect selling the poison to Thome, as a great deal of it is sold for cleaning and other legitimate purposes, and the law does not require such entry as is demanded for the sale of other poisons.  However, it is probable that Thome had the acid at least a week before he died.  From that the police conclude that he premeditated self-destruction, and they now realize fully that had not Officers Eggleston and Rosa, who came upon him Sunday, and were held at bay at the point of the pistol, permitted him to go unmolested, murder might have been committed.  The officers have been criticized for what some believe a lack of discretion in apprehending Thome last Sunday at Millport.  Had they got the drop on him before he did on them he might now be alive and under treatment for his disordered brain.  However, the officers strongly assert that they were unaware that they were upon Thome until he was directly before their horse.
 Last Thursday Harry Ackley, of Atheys, while passing along the river bank about 100 yards from where the Lehigh Valley crosses the river at Athens, saw Thome’s body lying face downward, but he supposed that either a tramp or a drunken man was taking a nap.  Friday morning he passed the same point, accompanied by Grant Smyth and Joseph Lambert, and again seeing the body, resolved to investigate.  They reported the discovery to Chief Mulligan, who notified Chief Cassada.  Chief Eggleston, of Elmira heights, went to Athns, accompanied by Mrs. Thome, and identified the body.  There was a letter addressed to Mrs. Thome in which the dead man asked forgiveness and expressed his love for her.  One letter to Chief Eggleston said:
Dear Jim:
 You accuse me of blowing up my hotel, but it is all a lie.  I hope you all forgive me.  I expect to meet you all at heaven’s gate***I enclose a last good-bye and lots of kisses.  Yours truly, “NICK”
 Another letter addressed to the Advertiser follows:
 Sayre, Aug. 29, 1904, the Lord’s day
To the Elmira Advertiser:
 Dear Sir—you accuse me of blowing up my hotel.  That is a lie.  I wish you to tell all the boys for me.  So far my wife is innocent.  I wish she live 1,000 years.  So you won’t have no hard feelings against her and nobody else.  I wish you all a good time.  I had mine, boys, I cannot say anything more.  I am going to another world where there is no trouble.  I had mine.  I shall meet you all at the gate of heaven.  Yours very truly  NICK THOME, forever
 I die with a broken heart and one more kiss for my loving wife.
 Thome was thirty-seven years old, and a native of Germany.  Mrs. Thome arrived from Athens Friday night, and made arrangements for the burial.  The body of her husband reached here yesterday morning and was taken to Woodlawn.  This woman has the sympathy of a large circle of friends.  Within five weeks she has suffered the loss of father and husband, both leaving the world suddenly and sensationally.  Her grief is great indeed.

 The following account of the tragic death of Corden William Sherman, formerly of Athens, familiarly known as “Cordy” Sherman, was published in yesterday’s issue of the Elmira Star-Gazette.
 Corden William Sherman, who resided with his brother-in-law, James Merithew, on Yale St. outside the city limits, after being reprimanded for coming home in an intoxicated condition Sunday night, bunked himself in an outhouse on the premises and went asleep.  A few minutes later, the building was in flames.  When Mr. Merithew and neighbors viewed the ruins, having been unable to extinguish the flames, they found the charred body of Sherman in the ashes.  Mr. Merithew, who is prostrated over the horrible incident, says that Sherman returned home Sunday evening in an intoxicated condition.  He had been absent since 9 o’clockSaturday morning.  Sherman’s sister is crippled and unable to walk and his aged father is also crippled and at the Merithew home.  Mr. Merithew reminded Sherman of these things and reprimanded him for his actions.  Sherman, in his drunken condition, stated that apparently he was not welcome there and started out.  As a matter of fact he was welcome, when sober.  Nothing was seen of him during the evening.  Before retiring Mr. Merithew visited the outhouse, but saw nothing of Sherman.  About 11 o’clock the household was awakened by neighbors who had seen the fire.  Mr. Merithew dressed and with several neighbors including F. H. Smith, J. B. Keenan and Fletcher Merriam started to fight the flames.  They were unable to stop the fire and it was not until the building had been burned that they saw the body of Sherman in the ruins, horribly burned, a sickening sight.  It is thought that Sherman pouting over the reprimand, had crawled into the outhouse late in the evening and fixed himself a bed with some bags of straw which hung in the building.  Charred straw under his body would indicate this.  He probably had lighted a match to find his bearings and failed to see that there was started on fire.  In his condition the fire did not awaken him and he was burned as a result.
 The police of this city were notified but as the case was over the city line, it was turned over to Undersheriff Day and County Coroner Hammond who made a midnight visit to the place.  The investigated but found nothing contradictory to the story told by Mr. Merithew.  Further action is considered unnecessary.  Sherman was quite well know.  He was formerly employed by the Northern Central and at the bridge works.  Lately he had worked for “Nat” McHenry on his farm.  His only bad habit was his intemperance which often took him away from home for days at a time.

 Captain Daniel Bradbury died at Erie, Pa., Sept. 27, of infirmities incident upon his advanced age.  He was the organizer and first captain of Company F, the “Northern Invincibles,” the first company raised in Athens.  He was born in Milton, Ulster county, N. Y., September 1830, and went to Athens to live June 24, 1851, working in Shipman & Welles machine shop, where he was employed until the works were removed to Scranton in 1858.  He returned to Athens again in July, 1858, and was employed in Blood & Co’s agricultural works until the war broke out, when he enrolled himself as a volunteer, April 16, 1861, only three days after the enemy had fired on Fort Sumter, and then went to work vigorously and raised a company from Athens, which was afterwards known as Co. F, 6th Pa. Reserves.  He entered active service as soon as government would accept their command, but was severely wounded at the first fight at Dranesville, Dec. 20, 1861.  He stayed with his command at the front some time, hoping that he might recover and again take up command of the company.  Finally it was found that his wounds were of such a nature as to unfit him for further service, and so he was obliged to resign and leave the service, which he did July 15, 1862.

 Horseheads, Feb. 4—Miss Grace L. Baker and Jesse B. Peck were united in marriage last evening at their home on Orchard street which has been remodeled and refurnished.  The ceremony was performed at 7 o’clock by Justice of the Peace La Grand M. Brown, an intimate friend of Mr. and Mrs. Peck.  After the ceremony, which was witnessed by the relatives and a few friends, a delicious six course dinner was served.  Miss Colton of Elmira catering.  Bouquets of pink and white carnations adorned the tables.  The bride was gowned charmingly in a white broadcloth princesse, with empire effect, trimmed in messaline satin and point lace.  She wore a beautiful necklace of pearls, the gift of the groom.  Mr. and Mrs. Peck are popular young people of the village and their friends extend best wishes.  Mr. Peck is engaged in the coal business.

 Miss Louise Gillette, daughter of Fred C. Gillette of Watkins and Mr. Edward E. Jung of Waverly, were married on Wednesday evening by the Rev. William H. Sawtelle of Ulster.  The ceremony was performed in the presence of a few friends in the home which the groom has furnished at 448 Waverly Street.  After the ceremony a wedding supper was served at the residence of Mrs. E. S. Smith in Waverly Street.  Mr. Jung is an employee of the National Car Wheel Company, having come here about a year ago from Baltimore.  His bride has been the bookkeeper at the office of the Waverly Gas Light Company for several years.  They have many friends in the valley who unite in wishing them a happy married life.

 Hon. L. T. Hoyt, one of the best of the Northern Pennsylvania lawyers, is at Trenton, N. J., defending Everette Ballentine on a charge of manslaughter.  Ballantine formerly resided in Smithfield, this county.  He is a son of the Rev. George Ballentine.  For some time he has been employed at an insane asylum at Trenton, and it is alleged that he was instrumental in causing the death of a patient, J. B. Maney, who formerly conducted a clothing business in Sayre, has gone to Trenton to testify to Ballentine’s character, the young man having been in his employ.

 One of the most brilliant weddings that has been witnessed here in many years took place at the Church of the Holy Ghost this morning, the principals being Mr. F. P. Murphy of Sayre and Miss Nan, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Kramer of this place.  Promptly at 10 o’clock a soprano solo was sung by Miss Burk of Waverly after which the wedding march from Lohengrin was played by Miss McArdle of Waverly.  The bridal party then entered the church, and were escorted down the aisle by the ushers, John Kramer, Jr., M. J. Greeney, Edward Collins and William Lambert.  First came the bridesmaids, Miss Nellie Tabor of this place and Miss Laura Lambert of Buffalo dressed in white organdie over white silk, approached the alter with her father where the bridal party was met by the bridegroom and Frank Slatterly, Esq., of Wilkes-Barre the groomsman.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. J. H.Sandaal, the rector of the church.  Mr. and Mrs. Kramer served a wedding breakfast to the guests at their house on South Main St., after the wedding was over.  Mr. and Mrs. Murphy enjoy an universal popularity in the valley, which was evident by many pretty and useful gifts and the church full of friends who were present to witness the ceremony this morning.  The bridal couple will take a short trip to New York and vicinity, after which they will reside in Sayre, where Mr. Murphy has a position with the Union Tailoring Co.

 Athens, Pa., Oct. 31—A pretty wedding occurred at the home of O. B. Sumner, in East Smithfield, Wednesday evening when his only daughter, Miss Louise Sumner was united in marriage to Edwin K. Drake, son of Mr. and Mrs. C. S. Drake, of Athens, in the presence of about 100 friends and relatives.  The house was tastily decorated with chrysanthemums and evergreen, and one corner of the large parlor was banked with evergreen in the form of an arch, under which the bridal party stood.  Promptly at 8 o’clock Miss Grace Bird of Smithfield, sang “Dear Heart,” and the wedding march from Mendelsohn, played by Miss Edna Voorhos, of Smithfield, began when the bridal party entered the parlor.  The party was led by Fred Sumner, brother of the bride, and the little flower girls, Helen Bird and Viola Tuttle, of Smithfield, cousins of the bride, and Laura Lucock, of Sayre niece of the groom, carrying pink chrysanthemums and strips of white ribbon one on each side of the arch, forming an aisle, through which the bridal party passed.  Then came the little ring bearer, Milrea Bosworth, of LeRaysville, and the minister, the Rev. A. B. Scofield, of Tioga, Pa.  Following them was the maid of honor, Miss Lena Henry and best man, Hampton Huff, both of Athens, and the bride leaning on the arm of the groom, passed between them and were met under the arch by the Rev. Scofield, who performed the ceremony which united the lives of the two young people.  The bride was attired in white silk grenadine over white taffeta, trimmed with point de venice lace and chiffon applique, and carried white roses and the maid of honor wore pale blue thistle batiste over blue taffeta, with the same trimming and carried white roses.  The little flower girls were dressed in pale blue and pink.  Immediately after the ceremony a wedding supper was served.  Most of the guests present were from Smithfield and Athens, and among those from away were mr. and Mrs. L. P. Blackman, of Lestershire; Mr. and Mrs. L. A. Bosworth, Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Bosworth, Hugh Bosworth, of LeRaysville; Bert Sumner of Cazenovia; Edward Bird of New York and Mr. and Mrs. G. S. Bosworth, of Nichols.

 The wedding of Miss Leoria C. Wilbur and Albert Meeker took place last evening at 8 o’clock at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. S. D. Wilbur, No 67 Park street.  About sixty friends attended the wedding.  The residence and lawn were handsomely decorated.  In the house were palms, potted plants and evergreens, while large flags were a conspicuous feature of the decorations.  The porch was enclosed with American flags, while the yard was brilliantly lighted and decorated and utilized by the guests.  The marriage ceremony was performed under a canopy made of a large flag, by the Rev. Dr. H. M. Crydenwise of Lestershire, assisted by the Rev. D. L. Meeker of Lanesboro.  Mrs. Laura White of the state hospital played Lohengrin’s wedding march.  The bride was attired in a gown of white mousseline de sole, over white silk, and she carried a bouquet of white carnations.  She was attended by Miss Esther Skoglund of Oakland, Pa., who was dressed in pink organdie, over pink silk.  Haliam Pierson was best man and little Emily Leona Barber, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Barber, was flower girl.  After the ceremony a wedding supper was served and Mr. and Mrs. Meeker left for a wedding tour.  They will be at home after November 1, at No. 47 Park street.  Mr. and Mrs. Meeker are popular young people.  Both are members of the Lestershire M. E. Church, Mr. Meeker being identified with the Brotherhood of St. Paul, and Mrs. Meeker with the Queen Esther circle, as well as with the Bartlett relief corps and the Good Templars.  Among those present were Mrs. Frank Tripp and daughter, Mildred; Misses Esther and Frances Skoglund of Oakland, Mrs. Julia Tripp and son of Owego and Rev. And Mrs. D. L. Meeker of Lanesboro.

 When J. B. Sponenberg did not arrive at his home on Center St. at the usual time last night his wife, who is confined to her bed with illness, became anxious as to his whereabouts and as at 12 o’clock he had not returned, Mrs. Sponenberg roused a neighbor who started down town in search of the absent husband but could not find him.  Leman Ellis an employee of Sponenberg, found the barber shop locked and waiting for a time went through Bressier’s cellar and thus gained an entrance to the shop where he discovered that all the tools belonged to Sponenberg were gone.  The police were notified and an investigation showed that yesterday Sponenberg sent an employee to Bailer’s to get a sit of clothes which he had ordered and gave a check for $12 on the Farmers National bank in payment thereof.  This morning the bank cashed the check but a short time later discovered that there were no funds to Sponenberg’s credit and notified Mr. Bailer that he must return the money, a thing that Mrs. Bailer obligingly did.  Sponenberg came to Athens about two years ago and purchased the barber shop of Beidleman in the Walker block.  He has recently been doing a good business and his friends are at a loss to explain his sudden disappearance.  Yesterday he appeared in his usual good spirits and said nothing that would lead anyone to think that he contemplated getting out between two days.  He was planning to move his shop to rooms in the Finch block.  He was in the shop last night and sent a satchel to the Wilbur House in Sayre by an employee telling him to tell the clerk that the owner would call for it.  Efforts are being made to locate the missing man and ascertain his reason for his unceremonious departure.

 The other afternoon while I. L. Northrup was walking on the east bank of the Susquehanna river on the Coleman farm he found a watch and further investigation revealed about three dozen other timepieces and a quantity of chains and rings in the vicinity of where the first was found.  Nearby lay the skeleton of a grip in which the jewelry was once contained.  The jewelry was lost December 15 of 1901 by David Samuels, a Sayre peddler, who endeavored to ford the high water east of the bridge.   When about half way across the stream that was running over the road, the swift current swept the horse from the roadway into deep water.  Samuels was rescued by a boatman and at the entrance of the driving park the animal succeeded in landing.  The horse was thoroughly chilled and later died from the effects of his icy bath.  In the wagon were two cases containing watches and jewelry and these were washed overboard and floated down stream.  After the water had subsided a search was made for the property, but it remained undiscovered until Mr. Northrup accidentally ran across it where it had lodged nearly two years before.  The cases of course depreciated in value for being in mud storage so long but the works are practically worthless.  As a reward Mr. Samuels told Mr. Northrup to select any one of the gold cases for himself.  The recovered property is on exhibition in Samuels jewelry store in Sayre.

 Athens, Pa., May 17.—Miss Edith Stulen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henri Stulen, was married to Mr. Antoine J. Roell of New York city at the residence of the bride on South Main Street, last evening at 8 o’clock by Rev. W. E. Daw, rector of Trinity church.  The wedding was private, there being no formal invitation issued.  Mr. A. J. Roell, was formerly employed as a draughtsman in the office of the American Bridge Works in Athens and he now has a lucrative position in New York city.  There was a very large number of presents bestowed upon the fair bride and they are of infinitely more value from the fact that they came as a tribute of esteem from those who have such exalted friendship for her and not in any way from notices of social etiquette.  The young lady friends of the bride decorated the house very tastefully and in one corner of the room they arrayed the bridal arch and from the green garniture the bridal flowers circled over her head as she stood under it and took the vows that united her with her chosen husband for life’s journey.  The following out of town guests were present:  Mrs. Arthur Dateman and Miss Virginia Gulick of Scranton; Miss Frances Lyons, of Waverly; Mr. J. Frazier Purse of Philadelphia, and Mr. Jud Preston, of Elmira.  Many of the bride’s close personal friends were also of the company and all clustered around her to give her their hearty good wishes.  The happy couple took the midnight Lackawanna train for Bloomfield, N. J., where they have their home all ready to commence housekeeping.

 Miss Winifred Cotton, of Ulster, visited friends at school Thursday.
 The boys basketball team has unexpectedly decided to take a vacation of indefinite length.
 Miss Hazel Ackley was enrolled as a member of the freshman class Wednesday morning.
 The Athletic association held a meeting Wednesday afternoon and the names of all those who intend entering the track team were taken.
 Miss Elsie Briggs was pleasantly surprised at her home on Center street, Wednesday evening by about twenty of her high school friends.  Ice cream and cake were served an an enjoyable evening was spent by all.
 Raymond Arnold joined the Greek class, Thursday afternoon.
 The students who are writing for the D. A. R. Contest are now busily engaged in putting the final touches on their work.
 The students in Geometry I take such a deep interest in their work that they all regularly remain to the after session from 4 to 6 o’clock.
 Miss Frances Myer is substituting at the Willow street school during the illness of Miss O’Brien.

 As briefly announced in the last issue of the Daily Free Press Record, Waverly lost one of its oldest and best-known citizens yesterday afternoon in the death of James D. Buley, which occurred after an illness of over three months.  For the last three days he was unconscious.  His death was caused by cancer of the face and from the beginning of his illness it was known to be only a question of time in spite of the fact that he received the attendance of medical experts from cities and the unremitting care of his family.
 Mr. Buley was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Abraham C. Buley and was seventy five years old, having been born in West Danby, Tompkins county, on April 14th, 1833. In 1849, the year the Erie was buildt, he came to Waverly, and learned the wagon-maker’s trade, but did not follow it long.  On January 17th 1853, he married Harriet E., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Ellis, of Waverly, the ceremony taking place in the Episcopal church at Athens.  Some time later he engaged in the butcher business with his father-in-law, Joseph Ellis, but finally sold out his interest to Samuel W. Miller, and went into partnership with the late John H. Murray.  Later he went into the grain business with Henry H. Sniffin, under the firm name of Sniffin & Buley, at D. G. Stark’s present stand, and finally became a stock drover, shipping to the New York market.  Many years ago he retired from active business life, but his various enterprises had been uniformly successful, and he had accumulated a large amount of property, becoming one of the most extensive holders of real estate in the village, besides owning a number of farms.  Mr. Buley was a shrewd businessman, but throughly honest, and held the esteem of the community as a man of strict integrity.  For many years he has been a member of the Baptist church, of this place.  The deceased is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Wm. H. Hopkins, of Waverly, and two sons, Frank R. Buley, of Chemung and Judd E. Buley, of Syracuse, and one brother, Cornelius L. Buley, of Clark street, Waverly.  His wife died in 1907.  The funeral will take place from the family residence corner Chemung and Waverly streets, Saturday at 2:30 p.m. Rev. Geo. A. Briggs will conduct the services.  The burial will be in the family plot in Forest Home cemetery.

 A strange affair happened in the town of Brookfield, north of Wellsboro, Pa., the other day.  Geo. Fuller, a well known farmer, with his family returned home at 9:00 o’clock after spending the evening at the home of a relative. He was apparently in perfect health.  He went to put out his team and when he entered the house he told his wife that he had a fearful pain in his head, feared that he was going mad and that she must get the children out of the house and hurry to a neighbor’s so he would not harm them, and send for a doctor.  This she did while the man rushed up stairs, locked himself in a room and threw away the key.  When she returned with two men, Fuller was found violently insane raving and shrieking.  He set upon the two men and was overpowering both of them, when two others arrived and the four finally bound him with great difficulty.  In a short time he became unconscious and died the next day.  Physicians state that an abscess had formed in his head and suddenly broke upon the brain.

A Hamilton Thomas died at his home in Alba Monday morning at 7 o’clock.  Mr. Thomas was
seventy nine years of age and for a long term of years was President of the Troy Agricultural association.  He was a prosperous farmer and was a man held in high esteem throughout the community.  The funeral was held from his late residence this afternoon at 1 o’clock.  He is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Milton Case, and seven sons: Adolphus, Henry, Boley, Alvin and Meade and one brother Jacob Thomas, of Troy.

 Wilfred Alexander Lane died early this morning at the home of his uncle, Frank A. Bradley, of East Pine street, after a brief illness.  He was sixteen years old, and a son of Dr. Charles henri Lane of Towanda, and a nephew of Nolan Lane, of Athens.  Dr. Lane is traveling somewhere in Ohio and up to this time has not been located.  Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

 Frank R. Case died of pneumonia at his residence on Orange Hills, Athens township, early this morning.  The funeral will be held from his late home on Monday, at 2 p.m.; interment in Orange Hills cemetery.  Mr. Case was born May 11th 1853.  He is a former Athens man and well known in the Valley.  He is survived by his widow, a daughter, Mrs. Bell Chandler, of Orange Hill, and a son by his first wife, Bert Case, of Syracuse, N.Y.; Andy McGovern, of Athens, and Mr. Case married sisters.

 A very pretty wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph R. Sterling of Millport, Tuesday evening, August 25 at 8 o’clock, when their daughter Ruth Josephine and E. Claire Kinney of Sunbury, Pa., were united in marriage.  The ceremony was witnessed by about fifty relatives and friends.  The parlors were prettily decorated with asters and palms.  During the evening musical selections were rendered by Miss Margery Sterling, violinist and Miss Josephine Bailey, pianist.  Mrs. Karl Loomis of Watkins sweetly sang “O Promise Me” Miss Josephine Bailey played the wedding march as the bride and groom attended by Miss Deana Winfield and Karl Ovenshire entered the parlor and took their places’ in front of a bank of yellow flowers and palms.  The ring service was used.  The bride wore a princess gown of white swiss and carried a shower bouquet of white roses.  The maid of honor wore white swiss over pink and carried pink roses.  After congratulations a delicious wedding supper was served by the following young friends of the bride: Misses Rhea Park, Mary Hill, Fra Personius and Urania Coleman.  The bride’s table was artistically trimmed in pink and white, ribbons and sweet peas being used also pink shaded candles.  Amid showers of rice and confetti Mr. and Mrs. Kinney left on train 54 for a short trip after which they will reside in Sunbury where the groom is a train dispatcher for the Pennsylvania railroad.  The bride for the past three years has been the efficient organist of the Methodist Church of which she is a member.  Among the out-of-town guests were:  Mr. and Mrs. Warren Sterling of Townsend, Mrs. Phebe Fulkenson of Dundee, Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Sterling, Miss helen M. Carpenter, Mr. and Mrs. Karl Loomis and Guy Newman of Watkins, Mr. and Mrs. George Briggs, Miss Burr and Mrs. Seaman of Elmira, S. G. Dilley of Van Etten, G. C. Peck, Professor and Mrs. E. A. Knowles, Miss Fra Personius and Miss Urania Coleman of Horseheads, Mrs. Ovenshire of Starkey, Miss Charlotte of Whitney of Stanley, Ray Wendall of Sunbury and Karl Ovenshire of Sayre, Pa.

 Waverly, July 30.—Miss Carolyn Hobard Shear, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Shear, and C. Paul Talmadge of Chicago, were united in marriage last evening at the home of the bride’s parents on Park avenue, by the Rev. Peter R. Ross of the presbyterian Church.  The bridal party entered the parlor to the strains of the Lohengrin wedding march played by Mrs. C. M. Weller.  The bride was on the arm of her father, who gave her away.  During the ceremony they stood before a large bank of green oak leaves.  Miss Grace Simpson of Athens sang “Because” and “Years of the Spring”.  The beautiful and impressive ring service was used.  The Misses Fanchon and Mattie Shear sisters of the bride, were bridesmaids, and Harry Talmadge of Groton acted as best man.  The bride was attired in white chiffon satin, duchess lce remi-train; she wore her mother’s wedding veil and carried a shower bouquet of white bride’s roses.  Miss Fanchon Shear wore pink chiffon satin and carried a shower bouquet of pink sweet peas, Miss Mattie Shear wore white lawn over pink silk and carried a bouquet of pink sweet peas.  At the conclusion of the ceremony, witnessed by 100 guests, a wedding dinner was served by the following members of the keno Gami Club; Misses Charlotte Whitaker, Maud Ellis, Marion Harding, Alice Lang, Helen Ferguson, Reba Bellis, Margaret Geer, Vera Geer, Lucilla Genung and Ethel McAlpin.  The bride’s table was garnished with pink chiffon ribbon.  In the center was a large bouquet of pink sweet peas and on either end a candelabra with pink candles.  Those at the bride’s table were:  Miss Lela Weeks, Mrs. Grace Stimpson, Miss Mat Shear, Miss Fanchon Shear, Miss Catherine Childs of Cory, Pa., Messrs. G. W. Walker, Harold Sawyer, Sayre Broadhead and Wilton Hall.  The entire house was decorated very beautifully with green, pink and white.
 The out of town guests were: Mr. and Mrs. E. F. Talmadge, Louis Talmadge, Harry Talmadge, Mr. Talmadge, Miss Talmadge and Mr. Buck of Groton, Miss Weeks of Cortland, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Talmadge of Dakota, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Broadhead and Sayre Broadhead of Buffalo, Mrs. Byron and daughter of Brooklyn, Miss Helen Stevenson of Dryden, George W. Walker of Cincinnati, O., Mrs. Martha Hoffman of Horseheads, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Mead of Castle Rock, Col., Mr. and Mrs. Stuart McAfee and Miss Grace Stimpson of Athens, Pal, Misses Vera and Margaret Geer of Chemung, and Miss Katherine Childs of Cory, Pa.  The bride was the recipient of a large number of beautiful presents.  Mr. and Mrs. Talmadge left amid a shower of confetti in a large automobile.  They declined to divulge their destination.  The bride’s going away gown was of brown Rajah silk and she wore a brown hat.  They will reside in Chicago.  The bride is well known in this place, where she has always resided, with the exception of the season spent in Indianapolis, where she was instructor of domestic science in the public schools.  The groom is a prominent Chicago attorney.  He has a large and lucrative practice.

 Wells, Pa.-Aug. 28—The home of Mr. and Mrs. D. E. Benson, Wells, Pa, was the scene of a very pretty wedding Tuesday, August 25, at noon, when their daughter Alice was married to Edson B. Brewer.  The bride was escorted by her father to an arch of evergreens, where the groom was waiting.  The Rev. M. D. Foster of Daggett performed the ceremony.  The bride wore a dress of champagne silk, Miss Dortha Buckley was ring bearer.  After the ceremony dinner was served covers being laid for 80.  The house was prettily decorated in pink and green.  Amid a shower of congratulations and rice the party left for a wedding trip.  Mr. and Mrs. Brewer will reside at Phelps until the close of the summer when they will reside at Wells.
 The out of town guests were:  Mr. and Mrs. George Everett and son, Joseph, Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Longwell and daughter, Carrie Belle, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Manning, of Horseheads; Mrs. Thomas Ewing and son James, Mr. Newman Buckley, son Hiram and daughter Ethel, Miss Lydia Waltham, Philip LeMenyon, Mr. and Mrs. Julius Buckley, son Gordon and daughter Dorothy, Mr. and Mrs. Leon I. Buckley, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Besley of Elmira; Benjamin Smith and daughter Burice of Big Flats; Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Soper of Austinville; Mr. and Mrs. George Benson and family of Rutland; the Rev. Mr. Foster, wife and daughter Gladys, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Besley of Pine City; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hammond and sons, Ray and Ross, of Millerton, Pa.

 Miss Elizabeth Walsh, daughter of mr. and Mrs. Morris Walsh, of Ithaca, died Sunday morning at 1:15 o’clock, at the home of her sister, Mrs. William Burchill, in Towanda, after an illness of three months with tuberculosis.  She was twenty seven years of age.  She is survived by her parents and three sisters, Mrs. William Burchill and Miss Ella Walsh, of Towanda and Mrs. James McWilliams, of Stanley, N. Y.  The funeral will be held at the Church of SS Peter and Paul, Tuesday morning at 9 o’clock; interment will be made in the Catholic cemetery at North Towanda.

 There was a remarkable and noteworthy gathering of some of the best people on earth in Towanda on Saturday.  It was the fifth annual “Old People’s Meeting” under the auspices of the Bradford County Historical society.  Among the hundreds came from near and far were about 200 men and women who have passed man’s allotted span of three score and ten years.  Of these seven are in the last decade of a century of life; more than fifty have passed the eightieth milestone of life’s journey, and more than 100 are in the seventies.  Their cheerful faces and serene bearing told of courageous lives spent in doing well the tasks the years had presented, and of faith in the future that all will be well.  And happiness abounded; old acquaintances were renewed, old songs were sung and the days of a long vanished youth were recalled with all their rose-tinted memories.
 The forenoon was spent in a delightful informal reunion and visit.  Seats were provided under the shade of the giant elm on the South lawn of the court house, and here was made the headquarters for the many automobiles in which all who desired were given a swift ride to various points.  Over 100 aged persons were thus given their first ride in the modern road vehicles.  This feature of the entertainment was under the direction of Charles L. Stewart, who was generously supported by all the auto owners in Towanda.  A veteran fife and drum corps enlivened the hours with martial music.  The afternoon meeting with its interesting program was held in Mercur hall.  Admission by ticket, which confined the attendance to completely but comfortably filling the big hall and the stage.  President J. C. Ingham, of the Historical society, called the meeting to order at 2:15 o’clock with a brief address.  “America” was sung with spirit, all standing and then Burgess William Foyle read his address of welcome.  The Smithfield male quartette, representing the singers of sixty and seventy years ago, the time, as one of them announced “before tunes came in fashion,” sang “Rocking on the Billows of the Deep” for their first number, and closed the program with “Dropping From the Ranks.”  These veteran choristers were Clayton Gerould, F. A. French, Maley Tracy and Diton Phelps.  At this point Mr. Ingham relinquished the direction of the program to C. F. Heverly secretary of the Historical society.  Mr. Heverly has been the moving spirit in the establishment of the reunion and has a wide acquaintance among the aged of the county.  He first introduced Mrs. Violetta Boyle, of North Towanda, who recited “When Our Country Was New.”  This selection was written fifty three years ago by C. L. Ward, to be recited at a gathering of the pioneers of Northern Pennsylvania and Southern New York.
 Mr. Heverly stated that of the forty persons from eighty to ninety six years old attending last years’ meeting, but one had died-Philip Angle, of Herrick, in his eighty eighth year.  Of those under eighty years these have died:  Jonothan Terry, N. S. Hoyt, J. T. Vosburg, Frank Tracy and Shepard S. Pierce.  The majority of those over seventy years of age were seated upon the stage.  Among them were seven over ninety years old: Orin Brown, of Canton, ninety seven; J. P. Kirby, of California, and J. A. Record of Towanda, ninety three; W. W. Browning of Orwell, Seth Vargason, of Elmira, Hon. R. E. Myer of Canton, and Mrs. Julia Smith, of Ulster, ninety to ninety two.
 Isiah Potter of Athens, eighty seven years young, gave a humorous recitation, and later sang two songs.   “The Old Time Hunter” was represented by G. A. Northrop, of Monroe township.  Mr. Northrop is the son of Bradford county’s most famous old time hunter, William Northrop, who lived “up the hollow in Monroe.”  He carried his father’s rifle—a muzzle loader of the old school that carries a half-ounce ball—and told of deer and bear hunting in the days when he as a small boy accompanied his father.
 David Horton, or Hornbrook, brought to the front the tools of an old time industry and gave an exhibition of breaking and swingling flax.  At the same time, a dainty little lady from Overton, Mrs. Daniel Heverly, attired in snowy cap and kerchief, spun the flax into thread.  Captain Kilmer enlivened things for a moment by singing “If I was As Young As I Used To Be,” and then appeared A. T. Lilley and his spelling class, Cobb’s old speller tucked under his arm.  “Toeing the Crack” in this class were such veterans as Elisha Cole, H. A. Vail, Mrs. M. E. Pettes, Mrs. Daniel Heverly and J. A. Record.  “There’s A Light In the Window For Me, “ was beautifully sung by Mrs. S. B. Ellenberger, Mrs. J. M. Rahm and Captain Klimer.
 Mercur hall was for many years the only amusement hall in Towanda, and many fine exhibitions and celebrated actors have appeared upon its stage, but it is certain that never was a more remarkable exhibition given there than the dancing of Mrs. Mary Mahoney, a plump little lady of eighty one years.  Martin Clancy played rollicking jig tunes on his violin and Mrs. Mahoney stepped them off true to time and accent, and when many young dancers would have cried enough she was disinclined to stop.  She was followed by John Lampman whose dancing in the days of ’61 enlivened many a camp gathering of the soldier boys.  Mrs. Mary Eliza McKean, Towanda’s honored centenarian, sent a graceful letter of greeting to her aged friends and expressed regret at being unable to attend.  War times were recalled by a sabre drill given by F. M. Hicks, of Rome, the youngest man to enlist in the civil War from this county.  It was intended to have the “other youngest” soldier, Captain J. A. Wilt assist him, but there was not enough room for both to swing their sabres.  Then marched on Captain Kilmer and his “boys,” gray headed but alert.  “Marching Through Georgia” was sung and the twelve veterans went through the manual of arms, closing by singing “Tenting Tonight on the Old Camp Ground.”  Many a tear was furtively wiped from the dimming eyes.  Rev. H. G. Blair, of North Towanda, a veteran soldier, sang “When the Mists Have Cleared Away,” playing his own piano accompaniment.   Hon. A. C. Fanning presented the prizes to the oldest man and woman in attendance.  Orin Brown, of Canton, who was born in 1812 in Vermont, was presented a beautiful ebony headed cane with silver band.  Mr. Brown came to this country when three years old.  Despite his ninety seven years he is erect and vigorous, in full possession of his faculties and does not ordinarily wear glasses.  The winner of the prize for ladies, a beautiful silver loving cup, was Mrs. Julia Smith, of Ulster, who was born in Massachusetts ninety one years ago, and who came to this county at the age of two years.
 The meeting was an qualified success.  To achieve it required hard and unremitting work on the part of many others as well as the following committee of arrangements and entertainment named by the Historical society:  President J. C. Ingham, C. F. Heverly, J. Andrew Wilt, C. L. Stewart, Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Tracy, Mr. and Mrs. O. A. Baldwin, Mr. and Mrs. E. L. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. George T. Ingham, Mr. and Mrs. I. McPherson, Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Blackwell, Mrs. M. A. Watkins, Mrs. M. E. Rosenfield, A. T. Lilley, Col. And Mrs. E. J. Ayres, J. H. Chaffee and John A. Biles.---Towanda Review

 Miss Katherine L. Kirwan and John J. O’Laughlin were united in marriage this morning at 9 o’clock at SS Peter and Paul’s Church.  The Rev. J. C. Long performed the ceremony.  Miss Kittie Collins was the honor maid, and Edward Butler acted as best man.  The bride was charmingly gowned in a creme broadcloth suit with hat to match, and carried a shower bouquet of pink carnations.  After the ceremony an elegant six-course dinner was served at the bride’s home, 801 John Street.  Miss Murphy catered.  The color scheme in decorating the tables was pink and white.  Pink and white carnations formed the centerpieces and pink and white ribbons were festooned about the tables.  The gifts were elaborate.  Miss Helen Kirwan, sister of the bride caught the bride’s bouquet.  Mr. and Mrs. O’Laughlin left via the Lackawanna at 12:48 o’clock for an Eastern trip.  After November 1 they will be at home at 205 High Street.  Miss Kirwan has been connected with N. J. Thompson & Co. For several years.  Mr. O’Laughlin is cashier at the United States Express office.

 Last evening in the presence of immediate relatives and friends, occurred the marriage of Pauline Rockwell, a popular young lady of this place, to Edward Decker of Portland, Pa.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. A. C. Horsman.  The bride was dressed in white persian lawn, trimmed with valenciennes lace and insertion.  Thursday the young couple leave amid the best wishes of their friends for Bethlehem, where they will visit relatives before going to their future home in Portland.

 Mrs. Anna Elizabeth, wife of Louis Schrier, Sr., an old and highly respected resident, died at her home on Harris St., at 11:50 o'clock this morning from a complication of diseases after a long illness.  Mrs. Schrier was born in Speckswenke, Hessen, Germany, August 13, 1837, and for the last twenty six years had resided in Athens.  Besides her husband she leaves four sons:  Louis, Frank, Charles and William, all of Athens, and two daughters, Mrs. Robert Zincke, of Green Bay, Wis., and Mrs. W. R. Leers of Bogota, N. J.  The funeral which will be private, will be held from the house Tuesday afternoon.

 The funeral of Louis Hoyt, the infant son of L. T. Hoyt, was held from the family home, corner Chestnut and Elmira streets Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Mr. Daw of the Episcopal church officiated.

 The death of Martha Jane, wife of Mr. Job Griffin, which occurred at her home a short distance from Green’s Landing last Friday evening, brought genuine sorrow to very many hearts throughout this entire region where she was widely known.  To many it came as a sad surprise, for but few had known of her illness.  She had been suffering for some time with a heart difficulty, but as confined to her bed but a few days previous to her death.  So rapidly did disease do its final work that even her family could hardly realize that the end had come.  Mrs. Griffin was the fourth daughter of the late Dr. And Mrs. E. P. Allen, and was born in East Smithfield in the county, Sept. 27, 1850.  She came to this village with her parents forty years ago where she spent the remainder of her childhood and her youth.  She was married to Mr. Job Griffin May 27, 1869, since which time her life has been mostly upon the farm where she died.  To Mr. and Mrs. Griffin three children have been born, Mary, who resides at home, John, who also resides on the home farm, and Howard J., who died at the age of three and one half years.  Besides her husband and two children she is survived by two sisters, Mrs. S. H. Bright, of Logan, Ohio, and Mrs. W. O. Thurston, of Elmdale, Kan., and by two brothers, E. P. Allen, of Elmdale, Kan., and W. Howard Allen, of this village.  Mrs. Griffin was one in whom the true womanly traits were very marked.  In her home, as wife and mother these traits shone in their brightness, and won the love and confidence of her husband and children.  How much she was to them they perhaps have never known so well as now.  Her large and generous heart also took in the community round about her, the entire circle of her acquaintance.  She loved to cheer and to help those in need, and her sympathy did not stop with words but went out into deeds.   Among the most sincere mourners at her grave were many who have felt the touch her sympathy and kindness in their days of sorrow and distress.  But to her natural womanly graces there were added those of the christian life.  In her youth Mrs. Griffin gave her heart to Christ, and united with his people.  To her, Christian consecration meant more than sentiment and profession, and she endeavored to show her faith in her works.  For many years a member of the Baptist church in the village, she has been among its strongest and most earnest supporters.  Two of the pastors at her funeral testified of her faithfulness and of the help and encouragement which she gave them in their work.  Without ostentation she was ever trying to serve her Master and carry on his work.   In that inner circle of the home life doubtless was the sincerity of her Christian spirit best known and felt, manifesting itself in the ever yearning desire and prayer that those she dearly loved might walk with her in the foot steps of the Savior.  But her work is ended, it would seem to her friends, all too soon, but not so to Him who knows when to call His servants home.  Her death brings a loss to the home, to the Church, and to the community at large for which human wisdom can see no compensation, and yet the believing heart feels assured that such sorrows as this are not without rich blessings to those who are bereaved.  To the bereaved family and friends the sincere prayers and sympathy of a large circle are extended while upon the grave of the departed they lay their tribute of love and respect to a noble Christian woman.  The funeral was attended from the family home on Monday afternoon, aug. 18th.  Rev. M. W. Covell, of Manchester, N. Y., a former pastor of the Baptist church here, had vcharge of the services, and Rev. C. H. Manning, the present pastor, assisted.  Both of them spoke feelingly and in high appreciation of their departed friend.  Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, of the Presbyterian church, an acquaintance of the deceased for twenty years, also took part in the services.  Mrs. O. L. Haverly and Miss Jennie Keefe sang beautifully and feelingly “Through the Valley and the Shadow” and “My Jesus, As Thou Wilt.”  Undertaker G. W. Miller was in charge, and the bearers were Messrs. Ira R. Morley, John A. Morley, S. J. Morley, and John G. Ovenshire.  The attendance at the services was very large, and probably the largest funeral cortege that ever passed through Athens accompanied the remains to their resting place in the family plot in Tioga Point cemetery.  

Tri-Counties Genealogy & History  
This page added to the site on 23 December, 2000