The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery

Tri County Clippings- Page One Hundred Forty

Submitted by Marolyn CAMPBELL Cole
These obituaries are presented in scrapbook order. I can't think of a better way of understanding a community than by reading an obituary scrapbook.
 DIED—Monday afternoon, at 1:30 o’clock, Fred Brock, aged 46 years.   Funeral Thursday, March 2nd, 1899, at the house on Lehigh Ave., at 2 o’clock p.m., and from the Baptist church at 2:30 p.m.; burial at Waverly.
 Fred Brock is dead!  This simple announcement echoed and re-echoed through Sayre Monday afternoon, and it brought sorrow to every man, woman and child in the municipality.  Fred deserves eulogy, but I am afraid the English language does not afford words to express what should be said of him—at least that part of it which I know does not.
 Fred Brock had lived in Sayre many years.  He had worked for the Lehigh company during all that time.  He had earned the respect of his superiors, which is saying much for a man who labors for a railroad corporation.  It is said of him that he had not an enemy, which is quite unnecessary.  It would have been impossible for him to have had one.  His was such a kindly, genial nature!  He believed in and practiced the universal brotherhood of man.   None were so high, none so lowly, as to escape his notice and commendation.  Evil he never spoke of anyone—it was beneath him.  I would like so much to tell to all the world the story of Fred Brock’s unselfishness, of his devotedness to home and friends.  But how is it to be done?  All that can be said is that when the Master put immortal soul into the living body of Fred Brock he used the best material to be obtained.  The ingredients used were generosity; forgiveness; charity; unselfishness; devotion, love, christianity.
 Poor Fred!  How he suffered during those last unfortunate months!  With what fortitude and forbearance he stood it all!  Not a murmur, not a complaint—only a fight to live.  And Fred did so much want to live!  It was only an indomitable will, a courage born of despair, that kept him alive so long.  Mrs. Brock, all Sayre mourns with you and shares your sorrow.  Your loss is irreparable.  We all feel the keenest sense of personal misfortune.

 Dana O. Tarbell died at 2:30 o’clock this morning at his home, 14 Laurel avenue.  He had been an invalid for many years and for some time past had been confined to his bed by a complication of diseases incident to his advanced age.  Of late he had been so low that his death was expected at almost any time, and yesterday it was thought that he would not live out the day.  Mr. Tarbell was 73 years of age, having been born in 1823 in Rushford, N.Y.  He had passed the greater part of his life at Farmersville, in the northern part of the county, where he owned several fine farms and for years ran a hotel.  He was one of the best and most influential residents of that section.  He was one of the principal promoters of the extension west of Warsaw of the old Rochester & State Line railroad, now the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg and for several years he was one of the state railroad commissioners.  He was always a hard worker, a man of the strictest integrity of character and commanded the respect and esteem of all his numerous acquaintances.  In 1850 he married Francis Marie Wilder of Worcester, N.Y., who survives him together with the following children:  Mrs. Spring, wife of Judge Alfred Spring of Franklinville; Mrs. W. W. Merrill of Rushford, Myron O. Tarbell of Farmersville, Fred R. Tarbell and Mrs.I. E. Ackerly of Olean.
 For the past eight years Mr. and Mrs. Tarbell have lived in Olean, residing with their son, Fred, manager of the Postal Telegraph office.  Mrs. Ackerly was in Denver, Col. When the news of her father’s critical condition reached her, and she is now on her way home.  The funeral will be held Saturday at the home of Judge Spring in Franklinville.  After a prayer at the house here the remains will be taken to Franklinville on the 10:35 A.M.  W.N.Y. & P. Train.

 Precisely at 1:30 o’clock yesterday afternoon the sombre-looking wagon from Miller’s undertaking rooms at Athens, backed up to the center door of the Packer hospital.  Mr. Miller alighted, went to the rear of the vehicle, took therefrom a coffin-shaped basket and carried it through into the institution.  Ten minutes later the undertaker, accompanied by three male attaches of the hospital, returned bearing between them, the basket, carefully and laboriously.  That coffin-shaped basket contained all that was mortal of genial George S. Hill.
 Probably no person in Sayre enjoys the privilege of so many friends as did George Hill.  Mourning over his sudden and untimely demise, is universal.  Many have said they feel his loss as that of a brother—and brotherly love was the basis of his popularity.  He never had any but the kindest words for all.  No person in distress was ever refused by him.  How said it all is!  Only a few days ago he purchased, in connection with Mr. Pealer, a business of his own.  Then he told a friend of his hopes, desires, ambition.  How he thought he had arrived at that time of life when he should strike out and do something for himself; told of how earnestly he would try to please and make his new venture successful and this is the end.
 His faithful wife, to whom he was devotion itself, is completely prostrated.  The sympathy of the entire community is with her.  No woman ever had a better husband.  Friend George, good bye!  We know that your reward must be in keeping with your life.  “As ye sow, so shall ye reap.”
 George S. Hill was born in Towanda thirty-one years ago.  He died at Packer hospital, Sayre, Wednesday, March 1st at 11:30 a.m.  The funeral services will be held at his late home on Desmond St.  Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock; burial in Tioga Point cemetery.  Besides his wife, Mr. Hill leaves these near relatives; His mother, Mrs. Luch Hill; sister, Mrs. O. S. Peck;sister, Mrs. F. N. Moore—the above all of Athens; sister, Mrs. Fred White, Towanda; sister, mrs. James Strange, Morrisdale.  Mr. Hill had worked for Druggist Jump several years, and also for a time at Towanda.  He was a member of the Masonic order.

 Died, at Owego, N.Y., Wednesday, Dec. 11, 1889, of pulmonary consumption, Louise E. Berger, wife of Albert Bouquet, aged 26 years.  Funeral Saturday afternoon at two o’clock, from the residence, No. 13 Lake Street.  Interment in Evergreen Cemetery.
 The above announcement chronicles the passing out of this life of a pure young spirit into the realms of endless day.  The deceased was of a sweet patient disposition, and never until the day previous to her death, during her illness of over two years duration, would she allow herself to doubt her ultimate recovery.  She kept courage and determination to the last.  Her wedding dated less than three years ago, Dec. 29, 1886, and of that time she has been an invalid twenty two months.  Her large circle of friends unite in tenderest sympathy for her sorrowing relatives.  Her demise leaves a bereaved and loving husband in deepest mourning and grief, a son Master Georgie, on whose mind a mother’s love can never be impressed, her parents, Mr. and mrs. A. F. F. Berger, five sisters, Mrs. E.J. Smith of Sayre, Misses Lizzie, Etta, Lillie and helena, and a brother Carl, of Owego.

 The sad intelligence was received last Saturday night by Dr. And Mrs. E. P. Allen of the death of their youngest daughter, Mrs. Marie Belle Allen, wife of Dr. F. S. Allen, at her home in Philadelphia.  The death of Mrs. Allen brings bereavement to very many hearts in this village, the home of her childhood and youth.  She had been carefully reared amid the advantages of Christian culture and refinement, under which she developed into a beautiful womanhood, possessing in more than ordinary degree, the traits which endeared her to her companions and made her a leader in the social circle in which she moved.   But a few years since Mrs. Allen, and her most intimate friend and bosom companion, Mrs. Darrow, went out from their homes here, brides, followed by the best wishes and prayers of a host of devoted friends.  Both were possessed of  unusual personal beauty and vigor, and endowed with the gifts and graces of the noblest womanhood; and to both, the future held up more than ordinary promises of long life and happiness in their new homes.  A few months since, Mrs. Darrow was brought back here and laid to her final rest, and now her friend follows her.  Both have yielded up their lives in bringing into the world a new infant life which would have made the homes of both brighter and more full of joy if these young mothers had been spared.  But both have died leaving desolate homes and hearts behind them.  So soon have the nuptial congratulations been exchanged for the cry of bereavement, and the wedding chimes given place to the funeral knell.  Such providences are too deep for us to read, we cannot understand them.  But Christian faith takes hold of the promises of God, and waits believing that we shall know them hereafter, and leaves these departed ones with the Savior in whom they believed.
 The funeral service was held at the house of Dr. Allen Tuesday afternoon, Jan. 20th, at two o’clock, and was conducted by the Rev. L. E. Wheeler, pastor of the Baptist church at Waverly, N.Y., whose remarks were very beautiful and scriptural, and comforting to the bereaved friends.  The remains were laid at rest in the family plot in Tioga Point cemetery.

 The death of John Keeler, which was briefly announced in last week’s Gazette, was a surprise to nearly every person in this town, as he was not considered dangerously ill.  He had taken a severe cold, but had been up and around the house most of the time.  The deceased had lived in this town and at Glen Valley for many years, and has been in various ways quite prominent, and as being President of the imaginary line of the “Glen Valley railroad”, gained a wide acquaintance from the fact that many outsiders supposed that such a line was in existence.  Its date goes back many years, and was started through fun, or a drive on some poorly equipped line, and is known by many people throughout the United States.  John always took pride in agitating the interests of this road, and in this he was peculiar.  He at one time did business in this place, and we learn quite successfully and always possessed the warm friendship of his many acquaintances.  At Glen Valley he had a pleasant home and surrounded by an industrious family of children whom are nearly all grown up now and doing well.  While Mr. Keeler had his faults as every other person, we understand that he was straightforward in his dealings with his fellowmen and gained many warm friends.  He was sure to look on the bright side of everything and while he was good-natured himself he kept others that way.  The funeral was held from his late residence Saturday afternoon and was largely attended by his many friends from this place.  The services were conducted by the Rev. S. F. Matthews, and the pall-bearers were:  Amos Miller, D. M. Brainard, Barney Kane, David Hadlock, W. Cowels and J.P. Wheeler.  Interment at Tioga Point cemetery.  John Keeler will be greatly missed in this neighborhood.  He was true hearted and kind.

 Miles Mitchell, one of the most respected citizens of this borough, died on Monday morning.  He had been a resident and active business man here for the past 25 years, and as to honesty and fair dealing, has left a splendid record behind him.  He was first taken sick something over a year ago, but continued at his business off and on until about two months past, when he was compelled to give up work entirely and up to the time of his death he was not again out of the house.  The funeral occurred Wednesday afternoon from the Methodist church, of which he had been a faithful member.   The stores throughout the borough were all closed during the funeral service, and Protection Hose Co., No. 1, of which he had been an active member for years, turned out in a body to pay their last honor to a faithful member and an upright citizen.

 The Hon. F. L. Kinner, on of Athens most prominent and widely known citizens, died at his home on Hoskins St. at 6:45 o’clock this morning.  His death was due to a complication of maladies in which the lungs, stomach and liver were involved.  For several years his health had not been rugged.  In the latter part of March, last, he went to Southern Pines, N.C. in the interest of his health.  He returned April 8, and since then had been confined to the house, leaving it but on two occasions, once to ride uptown, when he visited his place of business and once when he, in company with Dr. Holcomb, went to Philadelphia to consult a specialist. He had been confined to his bed for a month, and everything was done, that could be done to ward off death.  He had not suffered greatly in his last few days.  He dropped to sleep about 3 o’clock this morning and peacefully died.
 He was the last of seven children and is survived by his mother.  The funeral will be held at his late residence on Hopkins St., Monday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock; interment in Tioga Point cemetery.  Rural Amity Lodge No. 70, F. & A. M. of which the deceased was a member will have charge of the funeral.
 Floyd Lee Kinner was born in Flatbookville, N. J., May 27, 1856.  While he was yet a lad, his family moved to Pike county, Pa. Where his father was engaged in lumbering.  In 1865 they moved to Ulster and later to Athens, where his father entered the mercantile business to which his son succeeded after his death.  Mr. Kinner received his preliminary education in the local schools.   He afterwards graduated from Eastman’s Business college of Poughkeepsie.  He has always taken a deep interest in the schools of the borough and has served as school director.  He was a member of the board when the present High school was built and was one of the most active promoters of it.  Republican in politics he has always been an active and tireless worker for party.  In 1892 he was elected to the House and re-elected in 1894.  During his legislative service, he served on some of the most important committees.  He was a member of the State Republican committee and was a delegate to the National convention which has just finished its work at Philadelphia.  He was also chairman of the county committee.  Since he began to take an active part in politics, no man in Bradford county has been a more potent factor than Mr. Kinner.  Conservative and above all a business man he had built up a substantial business, the name of Kinner always being a standard of fair dealing and a guarantee of integrity to the buyers of dry good in this vicinity.  A few weeks prior to his death he disposed of  his store to Luckey & Drake.  Mr. Kinner was well advanced in the Masonic circles.  He was a member of Rural Amity Lodge, F. & A. M. of this place and was also identified with the Masonic order, at Towanda, including the chapter, commandery, Lodges of Perfection, Rose Croix and Prince of Jerusalem.

 The intelligence communicated by telegraph to Mr. George Ercanbrack from Cortland, N.Y., last Saturday, that his venerable mother had been taken ill on the previous evening, surprised our people, she being in ordinarily good health on Tuesday, when she departed to visit her daughter, Mrs. Joseph Hart.  Not the least intimation of any serious trouble had been felt up to the moment of her being stricken suddenly with what has proven to be her mortal sickness, to which, sooner or later, all must come.  She had been enjoying herself among scenes and friends of earlier years, when the final message came; and what her thoughts were at that supreme moment—whether she realized fully what the result has proved—is not known now, and probably may never be known, as her stay was short, and she may not have had presence of mind sufficiently to communicate them.  On the receipt of the telegram her son responded, and reached his mother’s side Saturday evening, she expiring Sunday morning.
 The deceased and her husband came here from Homer, N.Y., some time in the fifties, and by thrift, industry and general respectability have, with their excellent family, added largely to the general welfare of the community, by whom they are respected.  She had passed the limit of age allotted to humanity, and died, fully believing in the fulfillment of the promise made those who are of the household of the blessed.  The funeral proper occurred at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Hart, at Cortland, and the final interment was at Tioga Point cemetery, Tuesday.

 Again is Athens called to mourn the loss of one of its most prominent citizens in the death of mr. George T. Ercanbrack, which occurred at his home, on South Main street, last Thursday evening, January 5th.  He had been ill but a few days, and to many who had not heard of his sickness, his death came as a sad surprise.
 George Theron Ercanbrack was the only son of Jacob and Adaline Ercanbrack, and was born in Homer, N.Y., July 22, 1839.  While he was a child his parents moved to Athens, and with the exception of a few years in Rome, in this county, they spent the remainder of their lives here.  When a young man Mr. Ercanbrack entered the store of the late George A. Perkins, in this village, where he learned the art of pharmacy.  In 1866 he went to Richmond, Iowa, where he remained until the death of his father in 1875, when he returned here to take charge of the business left by his father, and since that time Athens has been his home.  Besides having the care of a large farm in the vicinity he, for many years, carried on a drug store which he disposed of two or three years ago, on account of his failing heath, and since that time has given himself to out of door life, spending his time mostly on his farm, much to the improvement of his health.
 He was married October 18, 1883, to Mrs. Cidney Owen, of Wysox, who survives him.  His three sisters, as well as his parents, have preceded him to the grave, and to their surviving children he has been a kind and indulgent guardian and helper.  In the now desolate home, besides the widow are his nieces, the Misses Mattie and Ada Lent and Mrs. C. E. Bull with her little daughter Clara, who have for a number of years found a home beneath his roof and a father’s warm welcome in his heart, and now mourn as bereaved children.
 As a business man Mr. Ercanbrack was energetic and eminently successful.  He was a man of the strictest integrity, candid and upright in his dealings, and he was also public spirited, interested in everything that would promote the prosperity of the town, and his fellow citizens showed their appreciation and confidence by putting him in positions of honor and of trust in all the public enterprises, and at the time of his death he was president of the Athens Board of Trade and of the Historical Society, vice-president of the Farmer’s National bank, and treasurer of the Tioga Point Cemetery Association, and he was an active promoter of the village Improvement Society and indeed of everything which he thought would help to develop or beautify the town.
 He was a man of very positive convictions and strong traits of character, and was very tenacious for what he felt to be right and as persistently antagonistic of what he believed to be wrong.  Luke-warmness was not one of his characteristics, but he threw his entire soul and energy into whatever enlisted his sympathy and interest.  He was also a man of benevolent spirit and tender heart, his sympathies being easily wakened for the poor and the suffering, and his hand unostentatiously extended help.  He was much interested in the prosperity of the Methodist church of which the inmates of his household are members, and by his gifts, efforts, and counsels he did much to help lift their financial burdens, and at the funeral the pastor of that church paid a fine tribute to his memory for this generous work.  His tenderness of heat was shown in his love for children and their love for him.  They knew where they had a friend and his store used often to be thronged with the little folks where they knew they would be welcome and find one to enter into their little desires and help their wants, and they were not disappointed.  Mr. Ercanbrack’s death seems to us untimely, but we cannot see and understand the wisdom and goodness of God’s providences now.  But we all feel that his removal is a loss to the community.  Our town has lost a valuable citizen, our people a kind friend and neighbor and the poor a generous helper, and to the bereaved family the loss seems irreparable.  None can know their sorrow but hose who have experienced similar ones.  All of their friends most heartily sympathize with them and many truly mourn with them in their great sorrow and pray God to cheer their hearts with his love and peace.
 The funeral was largely attended from the residence at two o’clock last Sabbath afternoon.  The services were conducted by the Rev. G. A. Cure, of the Methodist church, assisted by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, of the Presbyterian church.  Mrs. O. L. Haverly, Miss Mary Weller and Dr. Parsons, rendered a beautiful and appropriate son service.  There were many and beautiful floral offerings, among them an anchor from the Farmer’s National bank, a large wreath from the Historical Society, in memory of its president, a pillow from the Board of Trade, a wreath from the Methodist church, a potted plant from the Ladies Aid Society of the Methodist church, and cut flowers from Mr. and Mrs. M. P. Murray, Messrs. Corbin & Beaman and Messrs. Sanford & Copeland.  The services were brief and solemn and then the remains were laid to rest in the family plot in Tioga Point Cemetery by the long time friends and associates of the deceased, Messrs. Job Griffin, J. S. Thurston, F. T. Page, M. P. Murray, E. G. Fitch and Joseph Hines.

 Edwin Drake, one of Athens’ old and most respected citizens, died of Friday last.  The deceased was born in Bennington, Vt., July 17, 1825, and came to this place fully forty-two years ago, since which time, up to within two or three years, he has been closely connected with the business interests of the place, lending his aid wherever possible for the advancement of the town, and lived to see it rise from a mere hamlet to its present thriving condition.  For two years past he had been in poor health and unable to engage in active business.  He was kind-hearted and generous, and possessed the warm friendship of his fellow townsmen, and was in every way an excellent citizen.

 Never has this community been more deeply moved by sorrow and sympathy than it was last Sabbath as tidings of the sudden illness and earth of Mrs. Robert F. Page spread through the town.  A sense of personal loss and unfeigned grief pervaded the heart of every one who knew her.  At the evening service in the church where she had long been an earnest worshipper, the gathering was but a company of mourners.  It was truly a sorrowing assembly.  A great affliction had fallen and a vacancy been made in that church that could not be filled.  Words of sympathy for the bereaved family were spoken and prayers offered for Divine grace to uphold and comfort them.
 Mrs. Luella Dunn Page was the youngest daughter of Charles O. And Lydia D. Huntington, and was born in this village Feb. 9, 1868, and has spent her entire life here.  She received her education in the borough schools, and was graduated from the High School in the Class of ’86, having maintained a high standing for scholarship through the entire course, and having received the highest class honors.  At the beginning of the school year following her graduation, she entered the school as a teacher, retaining the position for four years as one of the most popular and successful teachers in the school.  Oct. 28, 1890, she was married to her childhood companion and school classmate, and soon after the young couple entered their beautiful home on South street, where her spirit died last Sabbath evening.
 From her childhood she was connected with the Presbyterian Sabbath-school, first as a pupil and then as a teacher, which latter position she held at the time of her death.  During the winter of 1883 she gave her heart to Christ, and in April following, with her mother and sister, she united with the Presbyterian church, of which she has since been one of the most faithful and earnest members.  Her interest in all the work of the church was large and constant.  In its meetings for devotion she loved to be, and her voice often led in the songs of praise.  In the meetings for work she also was found among the foremost and most earnest.  Hand in hand she and her young husband were going forward in Christian life and activity, with willing and vigorous hands taking hold of the work of the church of which they were members.  Truly, her church has lost an efficient and loving worker.
 In disposition Mrs. Page was most amiable and confiding.  Affection seemed to pervade her whole being and control her life.  She was retiring and unassuming in her nature, never officious nor intruding, but always ready to do and share in responsibility and work.  By her gentleness and sweetness of dispositon, and kindness of heart, she drew all to her.  Among her pupils and associates, old and young, she won only friends.  None knew her but to love her and speak well of her.  Very few, so young, have filled so large a place in the community in which they lived, and been so sincerely mourned as she.  Her life was short, but noble and grand, and her reward is rich and glorious.
 Her funeral was attended from the Presbyterian church on Tuesday afternoon at half-past two o’clock.  The services were conducted by her pastor, the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, assisted by the Rev. G. A. Place, of the M. E. Church.  The house was packed with a sympathetic assemblage.  The casket was covered and surrounded with the rich and beautiful floral offerings of friends, and, followed by a large concourse, the remains were laid to rest in Tioga Point cemetery amid the most sincere sympathies and prayers for the bereaved families and the grief stricken husband.  The bearers were Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Satterlee, Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Ruggles, Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Johnson and Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Oakes.

 Hugh Tvier Herrick died very suddenly at 3:30 o’clock this morning at his home in Waverly.  He was born in Athens township, January 28, 1839.  At one time he was president of the Waverly National bank and was the first president of the village of Waverly.  He is survived by his wife, two sons, George E. Of this place and Warford T. Of Waverly and one daughter, Miss Lida of New York city.  He was a brother of Frank Herrick of this place.  The funeral services will be held Monday morning at 10 o’clock; interment at the Grove cemetery.

 Mrs. Bristol, the wife of James Bristol, and one of the best known and highly esteemed women of this place, died at the family home on Main Street at 1:15 o’clock yesterday afternoon.  For the last three weeks she had suffered from a severe attack of typhoid fever and since Friday she had been unconscious.  The funeral services will be held at the house tomorrow afternoon at 2 o’clock; interment in Tioga Point cemetery.

 Ellen Page was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Page, one of the oldest families in the valley and was born on the old Page farm near Milan, April 29, 1838.  She was married to James Bristol, June 20, 1860, and to them were born five daughters and one son.  One daughter, Anna died in infancy.  The surviving daughters are Clara and Julia of Chicago, Mrs. E. H. Connor of Levenworth, Kansas, and Elizabeth of this place.  The son Thomas, lives at Cortland, N.Y.  Besides her husband and five children she leaves two sisters, Mrs. R. M. Welles of Towanda and Miss Emma Page of this place, and three brothers, F. N. Page of Williamsport, George Page of Milan and F. T. Page of this place.  Thirty-five years ago she became a member of the Presbyterian church and no member has been more actively identified with church work than Mrs. Bristol.  In her the church has lost a faithful and efficient worker, one who was ever ready to willingly and cheerfully gave her time, her means and her strength to this cause of Christianity and no case of suffering, when once brought to her notice, ever remained unallieviated.   The members of the family have the sympathy of everyone who knew her and her life will ever be a sacred memory to relative and friend.  A true friend and an untiring worker for her Master’s cause; a faithful wife and loving mother, Mrs. Bristol represented the highest type of Christian womanhood.

 John C., better known as “Seele” Naylon died at 10:45 o’clock last evening at the Robert Packer hospital.  Monday afternoon he was taken ill at the Forrest House where he was employed as a clerk.  Wednesday he was taken to the hospital where he was operated upon for appendicitis.  The operation was successful but left him in a weakened condition and his death was not unexpected.  Mr. Naylon was born in Ireland 35 years ago.  He has resided in this vicinity for about 25 years and was widely known among hotel men and commercial travelers, having been employed as a hotel clerk in Towanda, Binghamton, Waverly, Sayre and this place.  He was a member of the Opitah Tribe, No. 390 Independent Order of Red Men and was highly esteemed by the members of this order and numerous other friends.  He was a genial, jovial and generous man and was a universal favorite.  Mr. Naylon is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Naylon, Elmer Ave., Sayre; four sisters, Mrs. B. F. Moran, West Boston, Mass.; Mrs. Fenneli, Coleville, Pa., Mrs. Cooper, New York, Miss Bridget, Sayre and two brothers, Patrick of Omaha and David of Punxsutawney, PA.  The funeral services will be held at the Church of the Epiphany, Sayre at 9 o’clock Monday morning; interment in the Catholic cemetery.

 Mrs. George H. Robbins announces the marriage of her sister, Miss Jessie Emma Hayes to Wm. Heister Jefferies at Trenton, N.H., October 15.  Miss Hayes is a daughter of Henry Hayes, of Athens, and formerly lived here.

 Mrs. Elizabeth Cangley, an old and highly respected resident, died at her home on Maple St., early yesterday morning from the infirmities incident upon old age.  She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Michael Mullins and Mrs. James Leahy, both of Athens.  The funeral will be held from St. Joseph’s church at 9:30 o’clock tomorrow morning.

 One of the most interesting and enjoyable social events so far this season was the wedding of Mr. Walter Crannell and Miss Bertha Luther at the bride’s home, 86 Clinton Street, at 5:30 o’clock last evening.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. W. C. Wilbor of the First Methodist church in the presence of a large company of relatives and friends.
 The house was prettily decorated and illuminated, pink being the predominating  color.  Roses and carnations were scattered about in profusion, and the bridal couple stood beneath a canopy of palms during the ceremony.  Mr. Harry Kerr officiated as best man, and the bride was attended by her youngest sister, Miss Jessie Luther.  While the bridal party were entering the parlor Miss Mabel Luther sweetly played the wedding march from “Lohengrin”, and during the ceremony she softly played “Honeymoon” and “O Promise Me.”  The bride was attired in a pearl brocaded silk gown, with chiffon and pearl trimmed collor and girdle.  She carried a large bouquet of roses.  The bridesmaid’s gown was of pink organdy trimmed with ribbons of the same color, and she carried pink and white roses.
 Following the ceremony the company sat down to an elaborate wedding repast.  The dining room was prettily decorated with mermot roses, smilax and carnations, and the tables were lighted by pink shaded candelebras.  The bride and groom sat at the head of a long table, at the foot sat the Rev. And Mrs. Wilbor, and on either side were young friends of the bridal couple.  The other guests were seated at the smaller tables.   Shortly after supper the bride and groom mysteriously disappeared in spite of the fact that their young friends were keeping a sharp watch, intending to accompany them to the train on which it was announced they were to leave for New York.  A number of the young people went to the Erie station to meet train 1, and even down to Allegany, expecting to find them there, but they succeeded in giving their friends the slip, and no one knows how they got out of town.  It is thought however, that they caught Erie train 10, and left for New York and Connecticut to visit relatives of the bride.
 The happy couple received a large number of very handsome presents in china, cut glass, silverware and other articles.  Among the out-of-town guests at the wedding were Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hagadorn and Misses Della and Laura Holmes of Buffalo.  Miss Hagadorn of Salamanca, Miss Clara Beamer of Bradford and Miss Maude Hall of Duke Center.  The principals in this happy event are both prominent and popular young people.  The groom holds a responsible position in Andrews & Conkling'’ large house furnishing store, with bright prospects of future prosperity.  The bride is the eldest daughter of Mrs. Mary Luther, widow of the late ex-Mayor J. H. Luther.  George and Charles Luther, proprietors of the Luther foundry and machine shops, are brothers of the bride.  She is a young woman of charming personality, and by her many loveable traits of character has endeared herself to a large circle of friends.  Mr. and Mrs. Crannell will be absent about ten days.  On their return they will reside for the present with the bride’s mother on Clinton street.

 Mrs. Kittie Lendrum died at 8 o’clock this morning at her home on South River St.  She had been ill all Summer and was very ill for the past few weeks and her death had been momentarily expected for some time.  She was 32 years of age and leaves three children, two girls and a boy, the oldest being 14 years of age.  She also leaves a husband and a mother.  This afternoon a postmortem examination was made by Drs. Hunter, ott, Dennison, Everett, Kline and Cornell and it was found that the cause of death was a cancer of the liver.  The funeral will be held at the Methodist church Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock.  (Hand written note says “This is Kittie Odell”)

 Mr. William Case of Walnut street, Athens, and Mrs. Elizabeth A. Brown of Grand Rapids, Mich., were married September 3, at the home of the groom’s sister, Mrs. John A. Eastman, Wilseyville, N.Y.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. B. Frank Toby of that place.  In the presence of a few relatives and friends.  The Record joins with a host of friends of Mr. and Mrs. Cass in wishing them many years of happiness.

 “Uncle Joe” Hallett, as he was familiarly known by every volunteer fireman in the state, is dead.  The sad event occurred at his home in the village of Waverly last Saturday, where he gently laid down the burden and crossed the dark river fully ripe for the harvest, his age being nearly eighty-two years.  He was born in the city of New York in 1810, where as he grew up to manhood, he learned the carpenter’s trade, moving to Orange county where he became of age, to engage in farming.  In 1833 he moved to Tioga county where he purchased a farm of 100 acres.  He built the first comfortable home erected in Waverly, which place he named after one of Sir Walter Scott’s novels.  He was an enthusiastic fireman and at the evacuation celebration in New York a few years ago he was accorded the post of honor in the line of volunteer firemen.  He was a devoted church member, an active member of all the secret societies of Waverly together with being an honorary member of all the hose companies in this section of the state.  He leaves a wife and four children, namely: Halfied Hallet and Mrs. C. F. Spencer, of this village, Mrs. Fannie Robertson, of Middletown, N.Y., and Mrs. Lon Miller, of Patterson, N.J.  Mr.  Hallett kept a scrap book which contains clippings of all the incidents relating to his career as a fireman, and many other notes of interest.  Among them was a note of thanks written in the handwriting of the Le Marquis de Roechambeau, who was stationed at the Arlington hotel in Washington, for a photograph of a chocolate kettle which was owned by Count Rochambeau when he started from White Plains for Yorktown to take part in the capture of Cornwallis, and which kettle was left with Mr. Hallet’s father.  The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon from the family residence and was one of the largest ever held in that village.  The services were in charge of the Odd Fellows, and there were present delegations of the Order of American Firemen, the village fire department and representative firemen from adjoining places.  The sermon was preached by Rev. W. L. Thorpe, Mr. Hallett’s pastor.  Mr. Hallet at the time of his death was foreman of “Old Neptune Exempts” and this organization was present wearing mourning insignia.  Mr. Hallett’s service as a fireman began as a torch boy in New York city when he was twelve years of age.  He had thus been an active fireman for about seventy years, making him the oldest fireman in the United States.  “Uncle Joe” will be greatly missed at the gatherings of volunteer firemen where for years he has been such a conspicuous figure, and the silent tear of memory will be shed because of his absence.

 Last Saturday, Charles E. Noble, one of Athens’ valued and patriotic citizens, passed to life eternal.  He came to this place from Brooklyn, N.Y., about 1873, and engaged in the tannery business in which he continued up to the time the Smulls took possession.  From that time on up to his death he had been at the head  of one of the departments in the Union Bride Works.  Disease settled upon him to some extent years ago, but, withal, he was not lagging and continued his labors almost up to the day of his death.  He was in every way a good and valued citizen and a true American.  Never a National holiday but that a flag was floating to the breeze from his residence.  The funeral services were held at Trinity church, Monday, at 2 o’clock, the Rev. Mr. Carr, of Sayre, officiating.  The pall-bearers were Thomas L. Smull, George A. Kinney and M. P. Murray.  The Union Bridge Works was shut down at noon as a token of respect for the deceased.  Mr. Noble was seventy years of age and leaves a wife and one son, Charles W.  He was in every way a good man.

 Andrew W. French, father-in-law, of our townsman, F. T. Page, died on Monday afternoon aged 81 years.  Mr. French had been a resident of this town for many years, but for the past few years he has been in delicate health and has not been able to take but a slight part in active life.  He was kind-hearted and in every way a good old man, possessing many warm and true friends.  His brother, the Rev. Lewis French, of Darlen, Conn., arrived on the early train Wednesday morning, to attend the funeral which occurred at ten o’clock the same day, and was largely attended, Rev. Mr. French, pastor of the Episcopal Church at Sayre, officiating.  His brother, the Rev. William French and wife, of new York have been here for the past two weeks, caring for him in the last hours of his illness.

 Thomas P. McEvoy, for many years past foreman of the foundry at the bridge works, died at his residence, on Elmira street, on Wednesday evening last.  The deceased was one of the best known men in our village, and his loss will be deeply felt.  The funeral occurred yesterday at 10 a.m., and was very largely attended.

 At Peabody, Kansas, May 1st, 1893, Louis Augustus, son of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Eaton, aged 20 years.
 This sad intelligence was received in Olean last evening, and causes deep and universal regret and especial sorrow among the intimate friends of the family and the wide circle of young people in the city with whom Louis Eaton was an especial favorite and beloved companion.  Young Mr. Eaton had for some time been in poor health, resulting primarily from a severe attack of la grippe, and it was feared that he was entering the first stages of consumption.  With the hope of regaining health and strength, he left on March 6th for Peabody, Kansas, accompanied by his mother.  Shortly after his arrival at Peabody he was taken with a relapse of the former attack of la grippe, and his condition became so critical that his father, Mr. A. T. Eaton, was summoned and left for Kansas April 18th.   A few days later, Dr. D. V. M. Hibbard, the family physician, was sent for, and hastened to Peabody on the professional mission which it was sincerely hoped might be the means of restoring the young man to health and vigor.  For a time after Dr. Hibbard’s arrival cheering information was received that the patient was better, and stronger hope was entertained of his recovery.  But this ground for hope proved but transitory, and now is received the unwelcome news that the dreaded messenger of death came yesterday afternoon, and the young life was ended.
 Louis A. Eaton was born on January 27th, 1873, in this city, where his boyhood had been passed, and where he enjoyed the highest regard of all with whom he came in contact.  He was an unusually bright and active young man, intelligent, studious and thoughtful; courteous, manly and genial in his social nature; of excellent character and exemplary habits, and actuated by a high sense of honor and duty.  Before him there seemed to be a life of usefulness and an honorable career, and his death is a distinct loss to the community, for it is to such young men of character and standing that we look for the citizens to soon take the places of prominence and importance in business and social activities.  Death is an unwelcome messenger, whenever and however it comes, but it is especially deplorable when it takes one just entering manhood, and brings to an untimely end a young life full of promise, brightness and laudable ambition.  At the time of Mr. Louis Easton’s departure for the West, he was a trusted and valued employee of the First National Bank and had already developed a marked business ability.  He was a member of the Forty-third Separate company-prompt and faithful in the discharge of his duties as a guardsman, and especially esteemed by his companions in the company.  In the death of their eldest son, Mr. and Mrs. Eaton are assured of the sincerest sympathy of the community.  They will probably arrive in the city with the remains on Thursday.

 On Friday last news was received by Miss Helen Herrick, announcing the death of her brother, Edward, at Washington, D. C.  The deceased was a resident of this place from early youth up to about eight years ago, when he moved to Harrisburg to accept an appointment under the State Government, and from there to Washington where he held an appointment as chief clerk in the department of commissioner of railroads.  He possessed a wide reputation as an attorney and also was for years a justice of the peace of this borough and always gave an upright and just decision.  He was a man that took great interest in the history of Tioga Point, and we believe was authority in that direction and the large stock of information gathered from time to time will be valuable in days to come.
 He married the daughter of General D. K. Jackman, formerly of Lock Haven, who died at Washington about three years ago.  His uncle, Edmund Herrick, went on to Washington and returned with the remains on Monday afternoon, which were met at the station by a large number of his old friends and associates and the members of Rural Amity Lodge, of which he had been a prominent and honored member for years.  The remains were laid at rest in Tioga Point Cemetery, the services being conducted by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, of the Presbyterian church and by the Masonic Order.

 The death of Mrs. Rebecca A. Ellis occurred Thursday morning at the home of her only living daughter, Mrs. Lewis Dietrick, at Sayre, of old age.  She was eighty-five years of age and had been a life-long resident of this vicinity.  She was the widow of the late Sela Ellis.  The funeral services were held from the residence at 1:30 and from the Ellistown church, of which Mrs. Ellis had been a member for years, this afternoon at 2:30 o’clock.  Rev. J. W. Nicholson officiating.  The interment was in the Ellistown cemetery.

Tri-Counties Genealogy & History  
This page added to the site on 23 December, 2000 e