The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery

Tri County Clippings- Page One Hundred Thirty Six

Submitted by Marolyn CAMPBELL Cole
These obituaries are presented in scrapbook order. I can't think of a better way of understanding a community than by reading an obituary scrapbook.

 We take the following notice of the marriage of comrade Ad. Stone’s two daughters from the Las Vegas Gazette, New Mexico.  It will be remembered that Mr. Stone left this place about eight years ago.  “A double wedding took place last evening, at the residence of Mr. R. J. Hamilton, on Railroad avenue.  The brides were Nellie and Lillie Stone, nieces of Mr. Hamilton.  The former was married to M. B. Roseberry, formerly of Bloomington, Ind., and her sister was married to Scott Graves.  The ceremonies were performed by the Rev. M. Gorman, assisted by the Rev. M. Brooks.  The brides were becomingly attired in elegant white costumes and looked supremely happy.  The presents were numerous and handsome.  After the ceremonies, the fifty guests present, sat down to an elaborate supper, and several hours were spent in jollification.”

 At the residence of the bride’s father in this borough by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, September 30th, Mr. Frank Ettenberger to Miss Nellie, daughter of John B. Shakespeare, all of Athens.
 The marriage of Mr. Frank Ettenberger to Miss Nellie, daughter of J. E. Shakespeare, took place at the residence of the bride’s father on Wednesday last.  Rev. H. H. Sawtelle officiating.  The happy couple are among our best people and carry with them the best wishes of all for a happy and prosperous life.  They are now nicely domiciled in their new home of Harris Street.

 At the Presbyterian Church, Athens, Wednesday morning, Sept. 16, 1885, by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, Edward M. Cowell, M. D. Of Smithfield, Pa., and Miss Lillian H. Daughter of C. O. Huntington, of this village.
 Edward M. Cowell, a rising young physician of this county, and located at East Smithfield, and Lillian H. Huntington, one of Athens’ talented young ladies, were joined in wedlock at the Presbyterian church on Tuesday, by Rev. W. H. Sawtelle.  The happy couple left on an extended wedding tour, immediately after the ceremony.

 At the residence of Mr. Cornelius Knibbs, No. 15 Water street, Athens, on the evening of Sept. 16, 1885, by Rev. J. H. Sage, pastor of the Baptist church of Georgestown, N.Y.  James J. Knibbs to Miss Edith Talada, both of Athens, Pa.

 Our young friend, Harry Buckley, has taken unto himself a wife, the happy lady being Miss Bertha Weeks, daughter of Dr. Weeks, of this village.  We, in common with hosts of others, extend our congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Buckley, and wish them a life of prosperity and happiness.

 Our young friend, F. E. Luckey, was married on Thursday last to Miss Ella Farr, of Ridgebury.  The happy couple left for Buffalo and Niagara Falls on Thursday evening where they will spend several days.  We extend our.......(cut off).

 Dr. C. R. Jewett’s Marriage
 Of the suspicious event, the Buffalo Advertiser says:  Thursday evening from five to seven, Main street, between Huron and Chippewa streets, was a dense mass of carriages, the occasion being the marriage of Mr. Carlton Rogers Jewett and Miss Jessie Clarke Holland, eldest daughter of Mr. Nelson Holland, which took place at six o’clock at the North Presbyterian church, the Rev. John Hubbell officiating.  The pulpit was banked with tropical plants, among which geraniums in full blossom, gave the needed dash of color.  The bridal party entered the church in trios to the strains of the wedding march from Lohengrin.  The ushers, Mr. S. A. Wager of Rhinebeck, Mr. Howard C. Hollister, of Cincinnati, Mr. Stanley H. Dexter of New York, Mr. Harlow C. Curtin, Mr. Fred A. Jewett and Mr. Charles Shepard of this city were followed by the brid’s young brother and two sisters, who preceded the bridesmaids, Miss Alice Lee, Miss Sophie Jewett and Miss Camille Clarke of Brooklyn.  Then—most gracious sight in all the assemblage—the bonnie bride, between her father and her mother—who surrendered her at the alter to the waiting groom, and stood together just behind the bridal pair while the service, according to the Episcopal ritual, was performed.  The grouping of this bridal party was exceedingly effective, both bride and groom, making the responses in perfectly audible tones.  Mr. Henry E. Coe, of New York, was the best man.  The bride wore a perfectly plain robe of white satin—artistic in its very simplicity—clasped at the throat with a bar of diamonds, the veil of tulle covered her face and her roses were those dedicated to brides as utterly as orange blossoms were of yore.
 A very brilliant reception at the house lasted from seven until half-past eight.  Dr. And Mrs. Jewett, with their party, welcomed their guests in the north reception room.  The numerous rooms were a succession of glowing pictures in their exquisite decorations.  Teale served supper in a large pavilion and Poppenberg’s music proved irresistible as far as at least one dance was concerned.  The presents were displayed up-stairs, and were rarely beautiful.  A watch and chain were so unique as to be coveted by all, and the usual trunk of silver was unusually varied in its contents.  Dr. Jewett was the second member of the Thursday club to be married this week—the other being Mr. Marcy—and to each, the club sent the same exquisite etching.  Dr. And Mrs. Jewett departed amid slippers and rice for an eastern bridal tour.

 Mr. Chauncey G. Heath, of Ithaca, N.Y., and Miss Ella M. Mullock, daughter of Theodore Mullock of this borough, were married at the Presbyterian church on Thursday evening of this week.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, and Prof. Thomas presided at the organ.  Mr. Campbell, of Ithaca was groom’s-man, and Miss Ella Hayes, daughter of postmaster Hayes, was bride’s maid.  The ushers were Messrs. George Murray, Frank Luckey, Ira Sairs and Frank Chency.  After the marriage service a reception was held at the house of the bride’s father, where a large number of friends extended their hearty congratulations to the newly wedded pair.  There was also spread a bountiful repast for the guests, to which abundant justice was done.  The display of wedding presents was very fine, and the good wishes of many friends was expressed in valuable gifts.  Mr. and Mrs. Heath departed on train 15 for a wedding trip.

 At the residence of the bride’s father, Dr. E. P. Allen, in this place, February 22d, 1887, Miss Belle Allen to Dr. Francis S. Allen of Philadelphia.  The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Horace Williston, of Candor, N.Y.  No Cards.
 The marriage of Miss Belle Allen takes from us another one of Athens’ favorite young ladies.  She will be followed to her Philadelphia home by the warmest congratulations of a very large circle of friends.  Her wedding was a very quiet one.  The wedded pair started for Philadelphia on train No. 9.  A number of her friends were gathered at the depot for a farewell greeting.

 Our young friend, Denio Buchannan, has taken unto himself a wife, the happy lady being Miss Carrie Greggs, of Troy, Pa., where the ceremony took place on Tuesday last.  Mr. Buchanan now holds a responsible position in Chicago, Ill., where he and his bride will make their future home.

 On Wednesday evening Milton D. Stiles, of Elmira, and Mary G. Morley, of this place were joined in wedlock at the residence of the bride’s parents on Main street, by John M. McMaster.

 Mark Tyler, of Halsey Valley, and Miss Clara Myers, of this place were married at Waverly, Wednesday afternoon.  Clara’s many friends in this section wish her a pleasant journey through life.

 Waverly, N. Y., Oct. 22—The pleasant country home of Mr. and Mrs. J. Bunnell in Sayre was the scene of a happy matrimonial event Thursday evening, it being the occasion of the marriage of their daughter, Miss Carrie E. Bunnell to George H. Munn, also of Sayre.  The ceremony was performed by Rev. J. L. Taylor of Waverly, in the presence of about sixty guests from Waverly, Sayre, Elmira, Owego, Nichols and Litchfield.  The bride wore a handsome robe of brown satin with passematerie trimmings.  Immediately after the ceremony the company sat down to an elegant supper, and all was as merry as a marriage bell.  The groom is most favorably known in this vicinity, and with his bride, a young lady of many accomplishments, have the best wishes of hosts of friends for a married life of prosprity and happiness.  Mr. and Mrs. Munn have gone to housekeeping in their home, which was already awaiting them.  The bride received many handsome presents as souvenirs of the event, among them the following:
(List of gifts)

 GOULD – The Athens Gazette says that J. A. Gould, of that place, formerly of Owego, is a happy man.  His wife presented him with a young polo player last week.  Papa is a roller skater and belogs to a Polo club.
 DE GROFF – To Mr. and Mrs. Geo. DeGroff, a boy; eight and one-half pounds.  George is the happiest man in town, and remained at home all day Thanksgiving and rocked the little youth.

 KEEFE – To Mr. and Mrs. John Keefe, a girl; eight pounds.  Keefe is proud over the event, and has kept the boys at the Bridge Works in cigars for a number of days.

 FINCH – To Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Finch, a fine little girl, which they had the misfortune to lose after a few days.

 HAWLEY – To Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hawley, Nov. 24th, at 10:15, a boy; eight and one-half pounds.  Hawley is supremely happy.

 BENEDICT – To Prof. And Mrs. Benedict, a boy that lays over all the boys-eleven pounds.  A prouder man is not to be found than Prof. Benedict.

 HARTZELL – A fine boy baby made its appearance at the residence of M. J. Hartzell, last week Saturday.

 MITCHELL – Maurice Mitchell is the happiest man in town.  It’s a boy and weighs thirteen pounds.  Rony has a fine start in life and his many friends here wish him every success.

 R. K. Hulett, a life-long resident of Athens township, died at the residence of S. B. Carmer on Susquehanna street, on Thursday last.  His funeral occurred on Saturday last.  He was a member of Rural Amity lodge No. 70, F. and A. M., and was buried under the service of that order.

 Waverly, N.Y. April 9 – Frank L. Fuller died in the hospital last Monday morning, from consumption.  The deceased left here about six weeks ago, imbued with the fondest hopes of restoration to health with a change of climate, but the grim monster had marked him for his own, and the bright promising young life departed far from the devoted wife of his heart and other kindred.  His brother William, summoned by message that the end was near, arrived the day before so that his dying moments were soothed by the presence of one bound by brotherly ties.  Frank was twenty-four years of age and a most estimable young man exemplary in every respect.  He was a zealous devoted member of the M. E. Church, and a conscientious Christian.  He leaves a wife and one child.  His wife, who is a daughter of John M. Post, Erie baggage master at this station, is nearly prostrated with grief.  The remains arrived here Friday morning and were taken to the residence of Mr. Post on Pleasant street.  The funeral took place from the M. E. Church this (Saturday) afternoon at 4 o’clock.  The church was filled with many sympathizing friends of the family, including many of the employees of the Sayre shops and offices.  The deceased was employed as train dispatcher at Sayre, a position which he filled capably.  The remains reposed in a handsome cloth-covered casket which was laden with a number of beautiful floral tributes.  Among them was an offering from his brother employees in the general office at Sayre.  Its typical fitness i.e., the poles, wires, with one wire broken down midway in the span.  The telegraph key, with the signal “30” in blue immortelles, the significance of which in telegraph lore is “Finale.”  This was composed of the rarest buds and blossoms of delicate tints, and was one of the most beautiful floral pieces ever seen here.   Rev. J. O. Woodruff feelingly alluded to the young man’s life as one most correct and paid a graceful tribute to his memory.  The remains were tearfully laid to rest in Forest Home cemetery.  The following associate employees of the deceased acted as pall bearers;  Percy Sinclair, Frank Fulford, John Kinney, T. H. Brown, J. L. Barron and H. R. Bonfoy.

 Mrs. Mercy Hull, whose death was noticed in the Gazette last week, was the daughter of James and Mercy Jones, and was born in Lisle, Broome county, N. Y., April 26th, 1808.  Her youth was spent in that place, and there she was married to Josiah Hull, Oct. 13th, 1830.  Soon after her marriage she removed with her husband to Coventry, Chenango county, N. Y., where they lived for several years, and where their two elder children were born.  From Coventry they removed to Binghamton and thence to Union, N. Y., and in the fall of 1841 they came to Athens, where they spent the rest of their lives.  Mr. Hull died six years ago, and since that time Mrs. Hull has lived in the family home with her son and daughter.  Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hull, six of whom are now living, viz:  Charles T., cashier of the First National Bank of Athens, and Miss Fannie M., who resides in the same place; Mrs. Emeline Fox, of Baldwinsville, N. Y.; Mrs. Phoebe Phelps of Smithfield, Pa., and Frank and Horace Hull of Cimarron, Kansas.
 Mrs. Hull has been long and favorably known in this community.  Her life has been full of good works.  She never spared herself when the good of her family or of her neighbors required toil and sacrifice.  She was eminently self-forgetful in her desire to relieve the wants of others.  The poor and the suffering ever found in her a warm friend and helper.  She was particularly interested in everything relating to the soldiers of the late civil war.  Her three sons were given to the service of the contry, although the youngest was but a boy of fifteen when he enlisted.  Since that time every soldier has seemed to occupy the place of a son in her heart, and up to the time of her death she retained a lively interest in the welfare of the G. A. R. Of this village, and the members of Perkins Post showed their appreciation of her regard by attending the funeral in a body.  Her last sickness was of a character that caused much suffering, which she bore with great patience.   She awaited death calmly, and expressed herself as ready to depart.
 Her funeral occurred last Sabbath afternoon, July 24th, at four o’clock.  The services were conducted by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, of the Presbyterian church, assisted by the Revs. W. H. Mentzer of the Baptist church, and H. H. Dresser, of the Methodist church, and was attended by a large concourse of citizens, who thus testified to their respect for their old friend and neighbor, who would be known among them no more.

 George Jordan, formerly proprietor of the Exchange Hotel, died at Corning, N. Y., yesterday morning, aged seventy-two years.  Mr. Jordan had been in poor health for the past two years.  The funeral will be held from the Universalist church in this borough at three o’clock this Saturday afternoon.

 Waverly, N. Y., May 14 – The death of Timothy Hireen, one of Waverly’s oldest, most esteemed and best known citizens, occurred at the old homestead at “Riverside” farm, just over the Chemung river, Wednesday evening at 6 o’clock.  Mr. Hireen has been in feeble health for a long time past and the death of his daughter, Mary, last summer, was a severe blow from which he never recovered.  The immediate cause of his death was chronic bronchitis, from which he has suffered for years.  Mr. Hireen was born in Fermoy, County Cork, Ireland, December 24, 1812, and was consequently in his seventy-fifth year.  He came to this country at the age of twenty-three and resided in this vicinity over forty-five years.  During all the years of his life Mr. Hireen was an active business man and was well known throughout the country as a railroad contractor.  He engaged in the construction of the Erie, Lehigh Valley railroad and many other important lines.  His familiar face was well known at all political gatherings of note in this section.  In politics he was a Democrat of the most pronounced type and served the party unswervingly during his lifetime.  While shrewd in all his business calculations the deceased was withal of a charitable disposition and many there are whom he has assisted in improving their conditions in life.  During his lifetime he amassed a considerable fortune and was always ready with his subscription for a public or charitable enterprise.  For years he has agitated the construction of the Chemung river bridge and subscribed liberally toward the project.  The bridge was finished this morning and the first to cross was Mr. Hireen’s funeral cortege, which was one of the largest seen here in many years.  Besides his wife there also survives him three daughters, Mrs. J. J. Casey, of Binghamton, Mrs. D. P. Casey and Miss Cecelia Hireen, with a granddaughter, Miss Haley Rooney, at home.  One son William, who lives at home, and a foster son, James E., of Binghamton.  The funeral services were held at 11 o’clock this morning at St. John’s church, South Waverly.  The impressive service was conducted by the pastor, Rev. J. Costello, assisted by Rev. N. J. Quinn, of Binghamton.  Father Quinn paid a grateful tribute to the memory of the deceased.  The requiem music was finely rendered by the choir, with Miss Mary Costello, of Athens, at the organ, assisted by Rev. Quinn and T. F. Ryan, of Athens.  The remains reposed in a handsome black cloth covered casket, on which was laid a large floral pillow with “father” in blue immorelles.  Rev. N. J. Quinn accompanied the remains to their last resting place in St. Jame’s cemetery, where he imparted the final benedicition.  The pall-bearers were M. Quigley, J. Splann, M. Sheahan, William Curran, P. Fox and D. Cain.

 Mary E., wife of Charles E. Borton, died at Greene’s Landing, Sabbath morning, September 18th, aged forty-eight years and three months.  Mrs. Borton was the oldest child of John M. Jackson, of this village and was born in the city of New York, June 25th, 1839.  When she was about eleven years old she came to live with her grandparents in Wolcott Hollow.  At the age of nineteen she went to Philadelphia to reside, and was there married in October, 1861.  A few years after their marriage, Mr. And Mrs. Borton re-moved to Greene’s Landing, where they have since lived.  Mrs. Borton united with the Presbyterian church in this village, May 2d, 1879, but she had indulged the hope of a Christian since she was sixteen years of age.  Her life was that of a consistent christian, and her influence as such was strongly felt in her home and in the community where she lived.  As a wife and mother, as well as a friend and neighbor, she was kind and true, and endeared herself to her friends by her noble qualities of mind and heart.  Her last illness was a long and painful one, but she bore it with Christian patience and cheerfulness.  Death had no terror for her; she was ready and willing to go, though life had many ties to bind her here.  She leaves a husband and two children who mourn deeply over her loss and to whom the sympathies of the community are extended.  The funeral was largely attended Tuesday afternoon.  The services were conducted by her pastor and the burial was at Tioga Point cemetery.

FROM THE ELMIRA ADVERTISER OF WEDNESDAY – About 10:30 o’clock Tuesday morning, our village was startled by the report that Addison Watrous, senior member of the widely known firm of Watrous Brothers, had committed suicide by shooting himself through the heart—a report that proved only too true.  The news quickly spread and soon throngs of people gathered in front of the closed store to learn the particulars of the sad and deplorable affair.  Mr. Watrous came to the store about 9 o’clock this morning-his usual hour-and assisted in preparing some goods for shipment until about 10 o’clock, after which he went out on the street for a few minutes, and returning went up into the carpet room on the second floor.  Soon afterward the report of a revolver was heard.  His partner, W. L. Watrous and E. F. Perkins, head salesman hastened up stairs and found him lying on his back on a couch just breathing his last; no movement of the limbs or body being made after they entered the room.  His coat and vest were unbuttoned, and there was a bullet hole between the forth and fifth ribs, directly over the left ventricle of the heart.  Blood was gurgling from his mouth and he gasped slightly once or twice.  A Smith & Wesson revolver, thirty-eight caliber, was lying about two feet from the couch.  One cartridge was empty and another had been snapped but had not exploded, showing that he made a second trial toward accomplishing his purpose of self destruction.  Dr. I. S. Vreeland was quickly summoned, but when he arrived the unfortunate man was dead.
 Dr. D. D. Harnden, coroner, quickly impaneled a jury as follows:  Stephen Hopkins, Jr., foreman; J. C. Van Atta, T. S. Sager, W.H. Lockerby, T. S. Walker, C. G. Hanns, E. L. Green, H. S. Butts, J. C. Shear, C. D. Lyon, J. K. Murdoch, L. Perkins, G. H. Mead.  After viewing the remains the jury adjourned to the office of Justice G. H. Grafft, where the testimony was taken.  But four persons were sworn—Drs. Vreeland and W. E. Johnson and Messrs. Perkins and Chatham, clerks in the store.  Dr. Vreeland and the clerks testified to the finding of the body, its position, etc. As narrated above.  Dr. Johnson testified that the deceased was out of his health and had received medical treatment from him for several weeks past.  The jury returned a verdict that “Addison Watrous came to his death by a pistol shot would at his own hand.”
 Mr. Watrous had not been in good health for several weeks, and of late suffered severely from neuralgia in the head and it is the universal opinion that he committed the terrible deed during a moment of temporary insanity.  He was in New York last week, returning home Friday evening apparently in good spirits and gave no indication of mental trouble, the testimony of the clerks being that they saw nothing peculiar in his actions.  No cause other than temporary aberration of the mind can be assigned for the rash deed.  His family relations were of the most pleasant.  His business was prosperous.  He had no known trouble and no letter or line of farewell was found upon his person.  Surely this deed was not premeditated.
 Mr. Watrous was forty-seven years of age, and had resided in Waverly about fifteen years, coming here from New York, where he was for several years engaged in the mercantile business.  His wife is a sister of W. F. Warner, a former prominent merchant of Waverly, now a member of the Chicago board of trade.  He had no children.  The only other surviving members of the immediate family, we believe, are his brother William, his partner in business, and C. T. Watrous of Montrose, Pa.  He was a member of the ancient Order of United Workmen, and had an insurance of $2,000 on his life in that Order.  Mr. Watrous was highly esteemed in the community, and this tragic death casts a gloom over it all.  Funeral services, conducted by the Rev. G. F. Bowen, rector of Grace Episcopal church, was held Thursday morning at 8 o’clock, at his late residence on Park avenue and the remains were taken to Montrose, Pa., his boyhood home for interment.

 The funeral of Mrs. Cynthia Overshire, the mother of Mrs. Jacob Westbrook, who died at the residence of the latter, Wednesday evening was held from the house yesterday afternoon at 3 o’clock.  Mrs. Overshire was sixty-eight years of age, a widely known and much respected lady, and an aunt of Mrs. G. M. Angler of this place.

 Cyrus Fitch, father of E. G. Fitch, of this place, died on Monday a little after 1 o’clock.  He had eaten a hearty dinner and after getting up from the table, took a seat on a lounge in an adjoining room, and was reading a newspaper.  Members of the family hearing a heavy fall rushed to the room, where they found the old man lying dead upon the floor.  He was formerly from Delaware county, N.Y., where the remains were taken for burial, after a short service, held at the home of his son, in this place, on Wednesday at 11 o’clock.  Mr. Fitch has always enjoyed good health, never having met with a mishap during his long life of eighty-seven years, until early in the winter when he had a bad fall, fracturing two of his ribs, from which we believe, he fully recovered.  He had a large and profitable farm in Delaware county, NY, which he managed up to within a few years.  Wishing rest from a long and active life, he sold the farm and spent his few remaining years among his children.  In his quiet way he made many warm friends while he lived here, and was a special favorite among the children, which alone bespeaks his goodness.

 The sad news was received here Monday morning of the death of Mrs. Isabel Graham, daughter of Charles E. Noble.  Mrs. Graham spent the greater part of last summer with her parents in this place, and in October, in company with her mother and her two children, left for her home at Eau Claire, Wis., in her usual good health.  Shortly after arrival news was received that she had taken a heavy cold, and from that time forward she continued to fail.  She has had the constant care of a loving mother from the first of her sickness, and everything possible to bring about her recovery has been done, but all to no avail; the dread disease consumption finished its work in less than one year.   Mr. Noble, her father, arrived at her bedside just in time to see her alive.  Her death will be mourned by a large circle of friends here, among whom she was highly esteemed.

 Mrs. Adela A., wife of John M. Middaugh, died in this village Sabbath morning, Feb. 27th, aged 48 years.  Mrs. Middaugh’s maiden name was Bandfield, and she was born in the town of Van Ettenville, N. Y.  She was one of twelve children, nine of whom, with the aged mother are living.  She was married in November 1860, and three years later moved with her husband to this village, where they have since resided.  Mrs. Middaugh united with the Presbyterian church in this village in the spring of 1879.  As a Christian woman she was devoted, and aimed to make her Christianity a matter of every day practical life.  She loved the house of God, and rarely was her seat vacant at the public service or the social prayer meeting.  She was actively interested in all Christian work, and cheerfully did what she could to promote the cause of Christ in the community.  Her long and painful illness was borne with true Christian fortitude and when death came it had no terrors for her.  Her loss will be deeply felt by her associates, while their sincere sympathies are extended to the bereaved husband and family.  The funeral was attended Tuesday at 11 a.m. from the residence.

 Mrs. Sallie Swartwood, a former well known resident of Ellistown, and widow of the late Samuel Swartwood, died at the home of her son-in-law, Dr. B. F. Hillett, in Syracuse, Kansas, January 7, from cerebro spinal meningitis.  Her age was sixty-five years.  The deceased was born in Ellistown, her maiden name being Sallie Ellis and was a member of one of the early pioneer families of Tioga county.  Besides her three children, Nathaniel, Albert and Mrs. Dr. Hittle, all residents of Kansas, three brothers William T. Ellis, Sela Ellis, of Ellistown, John Ellis who resides in the west and two sisters, Mrs. Charles Pembleton of Ellistown, and Mrs. James Parker of Shepard’s Creek, survive her.  The funeral took place Wednesday morning from the residence of Charles Pembleton, of Ellistown, Rev. J. O. Woodruff conducted the services.  The remains followed by many friends and relatives were laid to rest in the old churchyard at Ellistown.  Dr. And Mrs. B. F. Hittle and Albert Swartwood, of Syracuse, Kansas, accompanied the remains here which arrived Mnday on Erie train No. 8.

 James Miller, of this place, and formerly from Ulster, died on Wednesday night last.  He retired at the usual hour in apparently good health, and between twelve and one o’clock Mrs. Miller heard a struggle and a gasp or two, and he was dead.  Mr. Miller, it seems, has been troubled with heart disease which undoubtedly was the cause of his death.  He is buried at the Ulster cemetery today.

 E. N. Frost died at his late residence on Main street Sunday morning, at about nine o’clock, aged sixty-nine years.  Deceased came to this place in the fall of 1877 and engaged in the furniture business in the building known as the Kiff Opera House, which was soon after destroyed by fire, after which he secured rooms in Carroll’s block.  In 1879 his son, Mercur, became a partner in the business, and they commenced the erection of the brick building now occupied with the business.  Mr. Frost was an industrious business man, and from the very first on coming to this town he met with success, and through his kind and obliging manners made warm friends on every hand, and in his death this town loses one of her most upright business men.  For the past six or eight months his health forbade his giving much attention to business matters.  The funeral occurred on Tuesday afternoon, the business places throughout the borough being closed during the time.

 Mrs. Joel MacAfee left her family on the morning of Saturday, May 21st, to obey the call of the Master, whose voice she heard, saying, “Well done”.

 Samuel H. Sawyer died at his late residence in this village, on Saturday morning, November 28th, after a brief illness, in the 88th year of his age.  The death of Mr. Sawyer removes from our midst another of the old residents of this place.  He came here from the east in early life, and was for more than fifty years a resident of this borough, or of this immediate vicinity.  He was an active man, possessing the qualities of  courage and perseverance in a remarkable degree.  More than forty years ago he was entirely deprived of eye sight.  Under such an affliction many men with less courage and situated as he was, would have given up in despair.  But with indomitable courage he applied himself to his business and conducted it with such success as to secure for himself competence in his old age.
 Mr. Sawyer became a Christian in early manhood, and through all his life was actively interested in the cause of Christ.  He prayed and labored for the salvation of the souls of his fellow men. He was a member of the Presbyterian church of this borough, and was one of that small number who sustained gospel ordinances here in the midst of great difficulties and trials.  He was among the last of those to pass away, and was the last of a company of six old people of about the same age, who, a few years ago, organized and sustained a daily prayer meeting, especially invoking God’s blessing upon his people.

 Mrs. I. J. Stone died at her late residence in the lower part of this borough, Monday evening.  She was taken with convulsions Saturday night, which was followed by a stroke of paralysis which ended her life as above stated.  Mrs. Stone was the sister of G. T. Ercanbrack, and had resided in this place the greater part of her life.  Disease came upon her about two years ago, from which time to her death she has been a great sufferer.  The funeral occurred Tuesday, and was attended by her many warm friends.

 Mrs. Andrew Hodge, daughter of Jessie Bell of Sayre, died January 2d, aged 29 years, 4 months and 20 days.  She had been a great sufferer for a year past, and her funeral was largely attended by her friends, and other sympathizers visited the bereaved husband and family.

 An illness of over eight months, during which time he never left his couch, was terminated on Tuesday morning, May 31st, 1887, by the death of Dr. Wm. M. Cutler, of this village.  She was born Feb. 22, 1850, and was consequently in the 38th year of his age.
 He was the second son and only surviving child of Alonzo and Susan Cutler, one brother and one sister having preceded him some years since.  In early manhood he perfected himself in dentistry and graduated from the College of Dental Surger in Philadelphia, afterwards establishing himself in business in this village.  In the spring of 1882, failing health compelled him to relinquish his profession, and subsequently engaged in the drug business in Bolivar, N.Y., that he might be near to, and under the immediate treatment of his uncle, Dr. J. L. Cutler, of that place.  An abscess, at that time discharging internally, afterwards developed externally, was the final cause of his death, but only after many months of agonizing pain.
 He was a genial, generous, hospitable nature, that drew towards him warm friends.  He was energetic, industrious and painstaking, and as a business man and citizen was highly esteemed.
 His wife, Alice Mead, died in august 1879, and one little daughter, Clare, nine years of age, alone survives the parents.  The funeral services will be attended at the parental home of the deceased on South Main street at 4 o’clock P.M., today, Firday, Rev. J. W. H. Weibel, of St. Matthew’s Episcopal church, officiating, the remains being taken to Indian Mound Cemetery for interment.
 Masonic grand honors will be conferred by Sylvan Lodge, F. and A. M., of which he had been many years a member.

 Mrs. Eliza Herrick, wife of the late e. C. Herrick, died after a short illness, at her residence, in this fillage, on Monday evening, September 12th.   By the death of this lady Athens loses another of its oldest native born citizens.  She was the daughter of the late Francis Tyler, and was born on the Tyler farm, just north of the present village boundaries, July 23d, 1813.  Her childhood and youth were spent on the homestead.  March 24th 1836, she was married to Edward C. Herrick, who died November 18th, 1884.  Their residence has always been in this village, or in its immediate vicinity.  Five sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Herrick, of whom but two are now living, viz., Frank who lives on the homestead, and Hugh, of Waverly, NY.
 Having spent her whole life here, Mrs. Herrick was well-known thoroughout the community.  She was a woman of very marked qualities of mind and heart, and was very strong in her convictions.  She possessed remarkable energy, which she retained to the end of her life.  She was naturally large-hearted and generous-very strong in her attachment to her friends.  Her hand was open to the poor, but her generosity was without display or ostentation.  Her death removes a woman of unusually strong character from the community and leaves a vacancy in her home which can not be filled.
 Her funeral was largely attended, September 14th.  The services were conducted by the Rev. W. H. Sawtelle, of the Presbyterian church, and her remains were deposited beside those of her husband and sons in the family plot of the Tioga Point cemetery.

 Died, at the residence of her father, near this village, on the evening of Feb. 12th, Miss Mary C. Coleman, daughter of Michael Coleman, aged 35 years.
 The death of this estimable young woman was a sad surprise to her many friends in this community, and has caused another vacancy in the social and family circles which cannot be filled.  Miss Coleman was well known and highly esteemed here.  She was of a retiring disposition, quiet and unobtrusive in her ways, but possessing strong traits of character that won the esteem of those who knew her well.  In July 1875, she united with the Presbyterian church of this village, and was one of its most consistent members, and a teacher in its Sabbath school.  She was one who dearly loved her church and loved her home; she was devoted to both.  She was always in her place in the house of God when her health would permit, and her hand was ready to help in its work, as well as to minister to the loved ones in her home.  Her loss will long be felt by both.  The heartfelt sympathies of a large circle of friends is extended to the stricken family upon whom this sorrow rests with peculiar weight.  The funeral services were held at the family residence on the afternoon of the 15th and were very largely attended.

 Waverly, NY, May 21—During the past few months the mortality among Waverly’s old-time residents has been something remarkable.  Scarcely a week passes by in which the TELEGRAM is not called upon to chronicle at least one death.  Sunday night at 11:30 o’clock Squire Whittaker, one of the oldest pioneer residents of the town of Barton, died after a long illness, induced by heart disease.  Mr. Whittaker was born in Deckertown, N.J., in 1808, and came to this place in 1816, with his parents.  He walked the entire distance, which in those days was not considered a remarkable feat and assisted in driving a cow.  He was married in 1832 to Miss Sally Hanna, a member of one of the oldest and most esteemed families in this section and for about two years resided at Ellistown.  They afterwards moved to the farm on Tallmadge hill now owned by his son, Lewis, then an unbroken forest.  In 1839 the removed to this village and took up their home at the old homestead, on chemung street, now the residence of their son, Horace, where they continued to reside up to their deaths.  Mrs. Whittaker’s death occurring about fifteen years ago.  Mr. Whittaker was a man of much force of character and great business foresight.  In politics he was a Jeffersonian Democrat of the most pronounced type and his first ballot was cast for Jackson, a fact which he after referred to with pride.  He was widely known and highly respected by all, accumulating by his industry considerable property.  The immediate surviving members of his family are a sister, Mrs. Polly Jarvis, of this place, now in her eighty-third year, and a half-brother, ex-Sheriff Wittaker, of Wilkesbarre, Pa., and seven sons and daughters, as follows:  Horace, William and Lewis, of Waverly; James of Lock Haven; Mrs. D. D. Knapp, Mrs. W. F. Finch and Mrs. H. Hallett, of this place.  The funeral took place from the old homestead, on Chemung street, Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock.  The services were conducted at the house by the Rev. Dr. H. Cooper, assisted by the Rev. J. O. Woodruff.  On the coffin was laid a sheaf of wheat.  The remains were followed to their final resting place in Forest Home cemetery by a large number of old-time friends and relatives.  The pall-bearers were C. C. Brooks, R. D. VanDuzer, O. B. Corwin, J. R. Jones, A. L. Bennett and James Lemon.

 Many hearts in this village were made sad by the Intelligence received here on Thursday last of the death of Clara M., wife of Millard Hunsicker, which occurred at Pottsville, Pa., at half-past ten o’clock Thursday morning.
 Mrs. Hunsicker was the daughter of Stephen B. Whiting, of Pottsville, and was born in November 1861.  She was married June 16th, 1886, and came with her husband to this place to live.  Her residence here has been of short duration, but it has been long enough to reveal her many womanly virtues, and to endear her to very many hearts.  Though she came here a stranger, yet in the few months of her residence among us she made for herself a large place in the hearts of her associates.  To a fine womanly presence were added the attractions of true womanly character which made itself manifest in her life and actions.  She possessed in an unusual degree that delicate equipoise of the womanly graces which so quickly wins the respect and admiration of all.  The death of such an one leaves a vacancy in society which cannot be filled.  Such a vacancy is made in our social life to-day.  Sorrow fills all hearts, and the sincere sympathies of all are extended to the bereaved husband and family of the deceased.
 The funeral will be attended from her father’s house to-day, at three o’clock.  She will be borne to her grave by her old friends and companions, but her new friends from her recent home will feel also a deep sorrow, and would esteem it a privilege to lay their tribute of love upon her tomb.  An earthly home has lost one of its brightest treasures, but may we not hope and trust that the spirit, which was so beautiful here, has gone to the heavenly home, there to reflect the immortal glory of her Lord and Redeemer.

 Seldom have the sympathies of this community been so deeply moved by an even as they have by the sickness and death of Hattie E., wife of Prof. A. P. Thomas.  Her sickness was of short duration and her death occurred on Friday evening, Jan. 14th.
 Mrs. Thomas was born in Potterville this county, May 27th, 1859, and was the youngest child of Mr. A. G. And Sallie Matthews.  Her father was a prominent citizen of that place—was one of the founders of the Congregational church at Potterville, and for years before his death filled the office of deacon in the church.  When about seventeen years of age Miss Hattie went to Hammonton, N.H., and from that time until her marriage, spent most of her time there engaged in teaching, with her brother.  She was married to Prof. Thomas of this place, August 5th, 1885, and came directly with him to the home which was here waiting for her.  She came a stranger among us, but in the few months of her residence here she won her way into the esteem and affection of a very large circle of friends.  To her was given in a remarkable degree the power to win her way into the hearts of those with whom she came in contact.  She was quiet and unassuming in her ways, and careful and conscientious in the performance of her duties.  Naturally possessing those qualities which make woman attractive and lovable, there was added to these, in her, the graces of a truly Christian spirit.  Her life was naturally a beautiful one, but it was made doubly so by the Christian spirit that reigned within.  This spirit shone out in her life and gave her strength and home in the dying hour.  Though naturally clinging to life and to her young husband and friends, she was yet enabled to surrender all, and resigning herself into the hands of her Savior she peacefully breathed out her life.  To us it would seem that her death had come too soon, but to Him who sees the end from the beginning, and who deals with His people in reference to their future as well as to their present life, it has come at the right time.  It has indeed brought a weight of sadness into very many hearts, and left a shadow in an unusually bright and happy home, but these are lightened by the knowledge that she has gone where there is no more sadness nor darkness, and the same hope that sustained her now comforts those who mourn her loss.
 The funeral was attended from her late residence Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock.  There was a large attendance, and beautiful floral offerings were laid upon the casket.  The services were conducted by the Rev. Thomas Barker, of the Episcopal church, of whose choir Mrs. Thomas had been a member for sometime previous to her death, assisted by the Revs. H. H. Dresser and W. H. Sawtelle.  The burial was at Tioga Point cemetery.

 Miss Susan Foster, long and well-known in this village and vicinity as proprietor of a dress-making establishment, went to Syracuse, Jan. 12th accompanied by her niece, Mrs. Susan A. Spafford, and Dr. G. A. Edmonds, for the purpose of having an inward tumor, with which she had long been afflicted, removed by Dr. Didama, of that city.  The operation was successfully performed on the following day, in the presence of  Dr. Edmonds, young Dr. Didama and two female physicians, and Dr. Edmonds returned home.  The patient was doing apparently well, and Mrs. Spafford left her in care of a good friend and nurse, Mrs. John C. Rounds, while she came home on Monday to attend to some business, intending to return again on Wednesday.  Monday evening she complained of much pain and was given a dose of morphine by one of the attending physicians.   Soon after she relapsed into a quiet sleep, from which she could not afterwards be aroused, and died at 8 o’clock that evening.  Her death was officially reported to be the result of blood poison.  Mr. and Mrs. Spafford and Dr. Edmonds went to Syracuse in answer to a telegram, and accompanied the remains home on Wednesday morning.  The funeral services were attended at the Methodist church at 1 o’clock on Thursday, the 20th instant, sermon by the pastor, Rev. W. H. Giles, and the remains placed in the receiving vault at Indian Mound.  She was in her 64th year, and two brothers alone of her father’s family survive her—David H. Foster of this fillage and Christopher Foster of  Sempro.

 Mrs. Josephine L. Miller departed this life Aug. 11th, 1887, in the thirty-nineth year of age, and although her health had been somewhat on the decline for a year or more past, yet her death was sudden and quite unexpected even by those that were continually with her, and the lightening flash of the telegraph announcing her sad demise to relatives abroad dazed them alike as the fast flying news of her death shocked those that were near by.  Mrs. Miller was the wife of our prominent townsman, Mr. George D. Miller, to whom she was married about six years ago at her father’s home in Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pa., which was also the place of her nativity.  She was the daughter of Mr. D. K. Coolidge, one of the oldest, most respected and best known citizens of Tioga county, who also counts within his large circle of acquaintances many warm friends in Chemung and Bradford counties.  Mrs. Miller was of noble liberality of mind, large and comprehensive intelligence, a delightful conversationalist, and a genial and interesting friend.  Her short married life, was an unexpectionally happy one.  For her father she had a sacred reverence—her own mother died many years ago-for her husband a boundless love, and to her step-daughter Jessie she was a devoted mother and faithful guardian, for all her relatives she had a strong affection, and there was always welling up in her heart a warm place for every friend.  She had but to form acquaintances to become respected and beloved, and although living in Athens but a comparatively short time yet her tomb was surrounded by the largest concourse of mourners that have ever attended the obsequies of the dead in our beautiful cemetery.  The impressive funeral services were conducted by Rev. H. H. Dresser, pastor of the Methodist church of Athens, to which denomination Mrs. Miller had been a devout and consistent member since her early girlhood.  The music rendered by the choir from Litchfield was particularly touching and appropriate.  

Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
This page added to the site on 23 December, 2000 by Joyce M. Tice