The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Ninety Four
Millerton Area Clippings obtained from Gertrude CRUM Strunk


Members of First Methodist Church Delighted to See the Rev. David Keppel—Is Famous for Sermons.

The Rev. David Keppel, a former pastor of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Elmira from 1896 to 1900, attended the annual sessions of the Central New York Conference in Elmira. He was accompanied by Mrs. Keppel. They were greeted by many Elmira friends.

David Keppel was first licensed to preach in 1868 and after following the course of conference studies, he was ordained as an elder by the late Bishop Andrews in 1875. During his active ministry, until a few years ago, he served pastorates at Morrisville, Peterboro, Milo Center, Dryden, Newfield, Groton, Montour Falls, Mansfield, Pa., Clyde, Elmira, Cortland, Cazenovia, Clifton Springs, Dryden and Eaton.

Dr. Keppel has long been regarded as one of the most able preachers in the Central New York Conference. His ability as an effective pulpit orator is well known to the older members of the first Methodist Church here where he delivered a sermon in 1890, which the older member, who heard it, declare never has been equaled by a preacher in Elmira.

Dr. Keppel retired from the active ministry several years ago and has devoted a part of his time to writing on subjects of interest to the church. Dr. and Mrs. Keppel reside in Syracuse, where their son, Dr. Frederick Keppel is in business.

Dr. Keppel conducted the conference love feast at the church Sunday from 9 to 10:30 a.m. Dr. and Mrs. Keppel returned to Syracuse Monday night. (handwritten on article Oct 6, 1927) 


The sad news of the death of Doris A. Giles, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ira Giles, which occurred last Thursday, March 1, 1923, following a short illness of pneumonia, came as a great shock to her many friends and relatives in this vicinity and Lawrence Corners.

Doris A. Giles was born in Rutland, December 23, 1908, where she lived most of her life. She was a loving, charming girl, ready to help everyone she could Doris always had a kind and cheery smile for everybody. She will be greatly missed in her school, as her school-mates liked her so much.

Also her Sunday School Class will miss her.

She leaves to mourn her loss, her father and mother, four sisters, Dorothy, Letta, Lena, Myra and one brother Wilson.

The funeral was held Sunday, March 4, at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, at her late home, which was largely attended. Burial at Lawrence Corners Cemetery.

Little Doris, how we miss thee,

But we know that thou art gone

To live forever with the angels

In that bright and heavenly home.

The pallbearers were six of her schoolmates, Gladys Heater, Mealine Armstrong, Daisy and Alice Griffin, Myrtle White, and Georgianna Smith. 


The funeral of Charles H. Gridley of 755 West Clinton Street will be held at the Park Church, Saturday at 2 p.m. The Rev. Albert G. Cornwall will officiate. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery. 


Dr. John A. Davis, 63, founder and president of the Binghamton Practical Bible School, succumbed Saturday night to an apoplectic seizure at his home, Bible School Park. He had been associated with Elmira mission and Bible School workers and visited this city on several occasions.

Doctor Davis was born near Afton, Chenango County, was a salesman in Binghamton department stores, studied at the Dwight L. Moody Bible School in Chicago, being personal friend of that great evangelist and entered upon an evangelistic and pastoral career. He had held countless revivals and had built several Baptist Churches, including First Baptist Church at Hallstead, Pa.


When he established the Bible school, meetings were held in Johnson City in rented quarters. Later he enlisted Triple Cities churchmen in the purchase of the old White City amusement grounds that transformed an extensive tract and buildings into the present Bible School Park.

He is survived by his widow and one, the Rev. Gordon C. Davis, superintendent of the Bible School.

Among his closed friends in Elmira are the Rev. Myron J. Smith, superintendent of the Home for the Aged and Eugene Delamarter, founder of the City Rescue Mission.

Both were associated with Doctor Davis in the early days of his ministry. Advised of the leader’s death the Rev. Mr. Smith said:

"Doctor Davis was a very earnest and enthusiastic worker. He devoted his energies and talents to his Bible School with little personal compensation. He had a constant struggle for funds, but was never discouraged and made many personal lecture tours to raise money for the institution."

The Rev. Mr. Smith was associated with Doctor Davis in the first evangelistic meeting conducted by the noted teacher. The meeting was held in the Lackawanna YMCA in Elmira and opened Mar. 22, 1895. The Rev. Mr. Smith was in charge of singing at this meeting as well as at several later revivals conducted by Doctor Davis.


The meetings also were attended by Mr. Delamarter who, in addition to founding the mission originated the Gospel Wagon from which he and a party of Elmira men conducted open-air religious meetings. The Rev. Mr. Davis preached the first sermons from the wagon and later the contrivance was given him by Mr. Delamarter for use of the Bible School students.

Among the many things Doctor Davis did to advertise his school was the organization of a Students League of Many Nations, a band of his Bible pupils drawn from all over the world. Members of the group appeared in the costumes of their native lands and spoke and sang in their native tongues.

The League made trips into every state in a specially constructed bus, with Doctor Davis as their leader. During the Billy Sunday meetings here in 1924 the League paid a visit to Elmira. The school, now in its 36th year, recently inaugurated a correspondence course for young people unable to attend the classes at Bible School Park.(date at the top of article Monday, March 19, 1934) 

 Miss Helen Wells, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Wells of Horseheads engagement to Gordon Van Hourten, son of Mr. and Mrs. Grover Van Hourten of Endicott, has been announced. The marriage will take place soon.(handwritten on article Oct. 6, 1939) 

Mrs. Mary Antoinette Horton, 77, widow of George W. Horton, died Monday, July 17, at the family home, 107 Canton Street, Elmira. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Rosemond Cottrell; a brother, Asa M. Crippen, both of Elmira; several nieces and nephews. Mrs. Horton was a member of the First Church of Christ, Disciples, and of the Elmira Rebekah Lodge, I.O.O.F. She had been a member of the Rebekah Lodge since 1910 and was a Past Noble Grand of the society.

Funeral services were held Thursday at 2:30 p.m. in the Disciples Church at Elmira, the Rev. A. M. Laird officiating; interment in Woodlawn Cemetery with the committal service by Elmira Rebekah Lodge I.O.O.F.

Mrs. Horton was a resident of Mansfield for many years. (handwritten on article 1933) 


By Old Man Kelly of Kelly’s Hollow

Inspection time is active

Out upon the hills,

Farmers are enjoying

Hot inspection thrills.

The agents now are busy

On tuberculin test,

Looking at the fodder

And each germ nest.

The mangers are inspected,

The stalls inspected, too;

The pitchforks are adjusted,

So they may do.

The grindstone is tested,

The harness is viewed

And the old calf stable

Must be well renewed.

Each cow is examined,

The horns must be oiled;

The hay must be tested,

Nothing must be soiled.

The pig pen is visioned,

The hen coop is fumed

And every old rooster

Must now be groomed.

The churn must be adjusted,

The motor must be cranked;

And each milk maid

Is supposed to be spanked.

Lord, who will examine

The examiners today,

And when they’re examined,

Will the farmers pay? 


Mrs. Lena Roberts, 44, died Friday at 12:15 a.m. at the family home on the Middle Road, near Horseheads. She is survived by her husband, Bert Roberts; five daughters, Mrs. Chester Updike of Horseheads; Mrs. Raymond Burnham and Mrs. Frederick Tobey of Elmira Heights; the Misses Louise and Irene Roberts at home; her mother, Mrs. Jennie Brown of Port Byron, six grandchildren.

The funeral will be held at the family home on the Middle Road, Town of Horseheads, Sunday at 2 p.m., the Rev. Mr. Norris of Millport to officiate. Burial in Maple Grove Cemetery, Horseheads. 


Miss Mary Louise Hanyen of Roseville, Pa., a former teacher in School No. 4 of Elmira a period of about 30 years, died Thursday at 6 a.m. at Sayre, Pa., after an extended illness. Miss Hanyen was born in Elmira, a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius B. Hanyen. The family resided many years on the southeast corner of West Church and Walnut Streets, and the father conducted the C. O. D. grocery house at 117 East Water Street. Many years ago the family moved to Roseville, Bradford County, Pa., where Mr. Hanyen conducted a general store. He died several years ago.

Miss Hanyen was a graduate of the Mansfield, Pa. State Teachers College, and began teaching in the Elmira schools in 1889.

Her entire period of teaching in Elmira was confined to School No. 4, where she proved a very capable teacher and was highly respected. Miss Hanyen resigned as a teacher, Jan. 4, 1916, and was placed on the teachers’ pension fund. She returned to the former home at Roseville, Pa. where she remained until after the death of her father.

Miss Hanyen was an active member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Elmira, where her parents formerly were active many years before. She is survived by a sister, Mrs. Lewis M. Palmer, 50 St. James Street, Mansfield, Pa.; two brothers, Cole B. Hanyen of Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; Frederick C. Hanyen of Scranton, Pa.

The funeral will be held at the home of Mrs. Lewis M. Palmer in Mansfield, Pa., Saturday at 1 p.m. The Rev. W. W. Taylor of Daggett, Pa. will officiate. Burial will be in Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira, about 3 p.m. Saturday. 


Here I am, beset by work,

And promises still unfulfilled—

I have no right to-day to shirk,

There is a column I should build;

And yet into the room you came,

And begged to be allowed to stay;

Oh, boy of mine, with many a game

We’ve frittered half the day away.

Upon my desk the letters lie

Unanswered, and it’s afternoon;

For copy that I should supply

The printers will be calling soon;

And yet I bade you to begone,

I ordered you to run and play;

But you somehow have lingered on,

And I have killed another day.

Wasted the day, the rich would say;

Lost, would the hungry after game

Declare these hours I’ve spent in play;

Misers would point to them with shame—

No single dollar have I made;

No bit of useful service done;

For all the time that we have played,

Gravely the clock kept ticking on.

But you and I have closer grown

Than we have ever been before;

We’ve lived this day of life alone,

And it is ours forevermore;

Nor shall I mourn o’er tasks undone

Nor sigh for wealth I failed to claim,

For this glad day shall live as one

Which brought me more than gold or fame.

Copyright, 1921, by Edgar A. Guest 

 Miss Leah L. Friends, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Minor Friends of Millerton, Pa. whose engagement to Alma B. Steele of 458 East church Street, son of Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Steele of Lakeland, Fla., has been announced. The marriage will take place June 19. (handwritten on article 1937) 


Rodney L. Mortimer, 32, of Tioga, died Thursday, June 23, 1983, as a result of injuries suffered in a train-truck accident Tuesday, June 21 in East Corning, N.Y.

Mortimer was pronounced dead at 8 p.m. at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Elmira, N.Y.

State police at Painted Post, N.Y., said Mortimer , who was driving a dump truck owned by an Elmira, N.Y. firm, turned onto an access road at a railroad crossing and was struck by a 14-car Conrail freight train.

Mortimer was thrown about 50 feet from the truck in the 5:50 p.m. accident in a construction are, police said.

Born at Wellsboro, June 5, 1951, he was a son of Frank D. and Doris Swain Mortimer.

He attended First Baptist Church, Tioga.

Mortimer was graduated from Williamson High School at Tioga and attended Williamsport Area Community College.

He was employed by Dalrymples, Elmira.

Surviving besides his parents of Tioga are a son Jason at home; two brother R. Dan and Barry, both of Tioga; a sister, Mrs. Lewis Wilston of Tioga and maternal grandmother Mrs. Ethel Swain of Tioga.

The funeral was held Monday June 27, at the Kuhl Funeral Home, Mansfield. Burial was in Evergreen Cemetery, Tioga.

The Rev. John Shypulefski, his pastor, officiated. 


Dr. Wentworth D. Vedder, a former Mansfield physician, died Friday morning at his home in Pottstown, Pennsylvania.

Dr. Vedder was born at Oxford, Wisconsin, April 7, 1858. For many years he practiced in Mansfield, later going to Wellsboro, and from there to Pottstown.

Dr. Vedder had been a member of the Masonic Lodge for over fifty years, having celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of his initiation into Friendship Lodge, of Mansfield, at the November meeting of the lodge, when special exercises were held in his honor. He was appointed Worshipful Master by the Right Worshipful Grand Master at the reorganization of Lodge 274. He was exalted to the Supreme Degree of a Royal Arch Mason, June 4, 1886; made and constituted a Knight of Malta September 10, 1886; attained to the Degree of Grand Elect Perfect and Sublime Master Mason October 15, 1885, and also attained several other degrees in Masonry. He was appointed District Grand Master December 28, 1903. He was also a member of Tyagaghton Commandery.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the home in Pottstown, after which the remains were taken to Schenectady, N.Y. for interment.

Dr. Vedder is survived by his widow, Cora Strait Vedder and two sons, Sanford and Wentworth. 


William O. Price, 83, one of Troy’s most prominent business men, died Saturday at 3 p.m.

Mr. Price was born at Covington, Pa., the son of Orrin H. and Julia Johnson. He married Alida H. Vandenburg, of Covington, in 1877.

At 16 he was a clerk in the J. C. and A. M. Bennett store at Covington. Mr. Price went to Troy eight years later and in 1880 entered the Bliss, Willour & Co.

In 1888 the firm name was changed to Bliss, Willour & Price and continued as such until November, 1913, when Mr. Willour died.

The firm then became Bliss & Price until August, 1920, when Mr. Bliss retired and Mr. Price’s son-in-law, Leon Manley, joined the firm. Mr. Price was in business in one location for 49 years and in the general store business for 57 years.

He was a keen business man, active in religious, civic and political circles. He was a member of the First Baptist Church.

He leaves his wife, a son, Roy W. Price, Troy; three daughters, Mrs. Jennie P. Yawger, Union Springs, N.Y.; Mrs. Julia Manley, Troy; Mrs. Alma E. Harrison, Pittsburgh, N.Y.; a brother Frank Price, Ithaca; a sister, Mrs. W. E. Holdren, Peekskill, N. Y.; a nephew, Willard Price, Ithaca; and five grandchildren.

The funeral was held Tuesday at 2:30 p.m. at the home on Elmira Street, by the Rev. N. Johnstone, Ulysses, Pa., former pastor of the Troy Baptist Church, assisted by the Rev. H. T. Punchard. The bearers were W. F. Palmer, W. W. Beaman, A. K. Sambrook, Dick Eaton, D. Fred Pomeroy and Harry Packard. Burial in Glenwood Cemetery. (handwritten on article Sept. 24, 1938) 


Mansfield—Eighty-three years old and still going strong is the achievement of William D. Ramsdell, former jury commissioner and member of the Borough Council.

Mr. Ransdell, old-time fiddler who has used the same violin for a half-century to entertain vicinity folk accounts for his vigorous life this way;

"I want to work. I feel able to work and so I work." This year, to date, the octagenarian, who is a paper hanger, painter and decorator, has papered no less than 56 rooms.

The nation today, he declared optimistically, is in much better shape than it was when he as a youth. "I can remember," she asserts, "when I worked 10 hours a day for 50 cents many a day."

At the 50th anniversary celebration of the First Baptist church a few months ago, Mr. Ramsdell played a few violin selections. It was his six-piece orchestra that had played at the dedication, he related with pride.

Mr. Ramsdell watches with interest the finishing touches on the new Mansfield High School. For he helped make the bricks for the original school, now razed, when it was built in 1881.

He recalled the many times he has played at old-fashioned barn dances. "Now," he says, "I play a little with the seven-piece Odd Fellow Lodge Orchestra." 


Although she is only nine years old, Miss Betty Weakland, daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. J. Roy Weakland of Elmira Heights has been preaching and singing in connection with her father’s evangelistic campaigns for the past four years in almost every part of the United States. As a result of her work along religious lines, this youngster has been called by many the "nine year old wonder evangelist."

Miss Weakland has addressed almost every type of religious meeting, including church and evangelistic services, meetings of ministers’ associations, student bodies and special meetings. In addition to her preaching ability, the child evangelist has a pleasing voice and part of her meetings include her vocal selections. She attracted the attention of Professor Albert Sinsom Reitz, noted composer of Los Angeles, Cal., who wrote a song, "For Jesus" which he gave to her.

The girl has appeared in several churches in and around Elmira.

The Rev. and Mrs. Weakland recently returned to Elmira Heights from Los Angeles where Dr. Weakland was pastor of the West Adam Street Baptist Church.They are making their home at 151 East Eighteenth Street, Elmira Heights, at present. Mr. Weakland for several years has been New York State convention evangelist, making his headquarters in Elmira Heights. He was, at one time, pastor of the Horseheads Baptist Church. (handwritten on article Nov. 1925) 


Is Burned to Death in Home—Assistance Unable to Reach Her

One of the most horrible tragedies occurred last Thursday when the house in which Mr. and Mrs. Ed Thorpe, of Rutland, resided burned to the ground and Mrs. Thorpe, who was an invalid, was unable to get out and burned to death. Mrs. Thorpe and her daughter, Mrs. Homer St. James, were alone in the house, their husbands having left but a few minutes before for Roseville on business. The fire was discovered by the daughter, when upon opening the stair door the flames burst out into the kitchen, igniting the whole room.

Mrs. Will Kennedy, a neighbor, came quickly to the rescue, and opened the door and helped Mrs. St. James, who was nearly overcome, out of the door. Assistance came as soon as possible, but Mrs. Thorpe was in her bedroom, and the help were unable in all their efforts to reach her, and she perished in the flames.

This is one of the most distressing occurrences in this vicinity, and the sympathy of the entire community is extended to this unfortunate family.

The origin of the fire is not known. There was nothing saved from the household furniture or any of the belongings.

Mrs. Thorpe was 71 years of age and had been an invalid for the past four years, because of a bad fall she had sustained. The family are now staying at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Will Kennedy.

At the time this article was written searchers were unable to find any trace of the remains of Mrs. Thorpe. (handwritten on article Apr. 5, 1923) 


Roland F. Pratt, 37, of 225 Franklin Street, committed suicide at his home about noon Friday by hanging.

Mr. Pratt’s body was found by his wife, Anna, when she went to the cellar of the home about ? p.m. The body was hanging by a rope from a rafter, but the feet were on the floor, indicating that the man had died from slow strangulation.

Coroner S. Tracey Hamilton, called to the residence following the discovery of the body, stated that he believed the Southside man had been dead from two to three hours. Mrs. Pratt, who works nights, had been up about the house only a few moments when she discovered the tragedy.

Mr. Pratt was employed by the Eclipse Machine Company, but did not go to his work Friday. Mrs. C. Marble, a neighbor, reported seeing Mr. Pratt on the porch of his home in the morning. No reason could be given for the suicide other than that Mr. Pratt had been complaining of a slight illness for some time.

The body was released by Coroner Hamilton to Owen McCarthy, funeral director. Mr. Pratt is survived by his wife, and one brother of this city. 


Roland R. Pratt, 37, died unexpectedly Friday at 11 a.m. he is survived by his widow; a step-daughter, Evanageline Sours, Elmira, and a brother, Harland, Wellsboro. The body is at the Owen McCarthy funeral home and will be removed to the family home, 225 Franklin Street today. 


Thomas Melvin Phillips died at home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William C. Phillips, Thursday morning, November 11, 1926, aged one month and 21 days. He is survived by his parents, a sister, Hazel, and a brother John William; his grandfather, John Phillips, and a great grandmother, Mrs. E. M. Brace. The funeral was held the following Sunday afternoon at the home, Rev. Orey Crippen officiating, interment in the Lawrence Corners Cemetery. (Note from JMT: Hazel Phillips married myUncle Homer Tice and was, therefore my Aunt Hazel with whom I spent many happy hours. ) 


Towanda—Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Williams of Towanda have announced the engagement of their daughter, Beatrice Irene, to Rexford H. Soper of Sylvania.

Miss Williams is a 1930 graduate of the Towanda High School, and the class of 1934, Mansfield State Teachers’ College. She took graduate work at Columbia and for three years has taught music and English at the Ulster High School.

Mr. Soper is a graduate of the Troy High School, class of 1929, Mansfield State Teachers’ College, class of 1933 and of the Syracuse School of Embalming. He taught one term at Orwell, one term at Wyalusing and substituted for Principal Cadman at Rome. At present he is affiliated with his uncle, Rex R. Soper of Troy.

The wedding will take place in June. (handwritten on article Feb. 15, 1937) 


Sometime in the early thirties Charles and Matilda Lake Sherman migrated from the state of Rhode Island to Rutland, Pa., and settled on a farm about one mile southeast of what is now Roseville boro. On September 1, 1843, there was born to them a son, Hiram; he being the third of a family of five children. When the babe was only three weeks old the family made a visit to their old home in Rhode Island, making the trip with ox teams.

It was upon this farm that young Hiram grew to manhood. Upon the death of his parents he acquired possession of the old homestead, which he still owned at the time of his death, January 16, 1924, and upon which he had always lived until six years ago, when because of declining health he was compelled to rent the farm and take up his residence in Roseville.

Mr. Sherman was that type of a man that all, both young and old, loved and respected. His kindly disposition and pleasing smile will long be remembered by those who knew him.

He was, until failing health prevented, a regular attendant at church and for many years was a leader in the singing of both local congregations.

Mr. Sherman was twice married, his first wife, Elizabeth James died January 19,1890. On June 23, 1893, he married Lydia Nesbitt, of Kingston, Pa., who with a daughter, Mrs. John Davis, and a son L. G. Sherman, survive him.

The funeral was held from the late home Saturday, January 19, and was largely attended. The service was conducted by Rev. Orey Crippen, of the Baptist Church, and Rev. Seymour Barrett, a former pastor, spoke feelingly of his acquaintance with Mr. Sherman. The Sylvania Male Quartet had charge of the singing.

Truly, a good man is gone, but his memory will be long cherished by those who knew him best. (handwritten on article June 16, 1924) 

 John O. Sterling, 69, of Wells Township, Pa., died at 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 20, 1938, at the home of his son, Oakley B. Sterling, in Webb Mills. He leaves his wife, Mrs. Alma Brewer Sterling; four daughters, Mrs. Bessie McWhorter, Mrs. Ruth Newbury and Mrs. Winifred Avery all of Gillett and Mrs. Roxy Levey of Pine City; four sons, Oakley B. of Webb Mills, Carl J. of Snedekerville, Millard and Arthur Sterling of Gillett. The funeral will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the Mosherville Church with burial in the Mosherville Cemetery. The Rev. George Burroughs will officiate. 

Mrs. Caroline Garrison died Thursday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. S. F. Hogaboom, 638 ½ Winsor Avenue, aged ninety-three years. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. S. F. Hogaboom, this city and Mrs. Jane Stillwell of Sioux Falls, S.D.; two sons, Joel D. and Charles B. of Elmira. Mrs. Garrison was a sister of Charles and George Shieve, late of this city. The funeral will be held at the home Saturday at 2 p.m. Burial in the Job Corners Cemetery. Kindly omit flowers. 


LaFayette Havens, 80, died at the family home in Austinville, Pa., Saturday morning at 10:50 o’clock.

He is survived by his widow, three daughters, Mrs. David Watson of Gillett, Pa.; Mrs. Effie Judson and Mrs. Cora Burdick of Elmira; several grandchildren; a sister, Mrs. Alice Oldfield, of Salt Lake City, Utah, a brother Dalphin Havens of Elmira.

Mr. Havens was a veteran of the Civil War in Co. C., 7th Penn. Volunteers, Cavalry. He also was a member of the G.A.R.

The funeral will be held at the family home Wednesday at 10 a.m. The Rev. Olin Crippen will officiate. Burial in the Rutland Cemetery at Roseville, Pa. (handwritten on article 1927) 


Mansfield—Mr. and Mrs. Gates Ayres of Millerton, Pa., formerly of Mansfield, announce the engagement of their daughter, Esther, to Mahlon Merk, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Merk of Lanesboro, Pa. The marriage will take place in the near future. 


Mr. and Mrs. M. L. Garrison of Millerton announce the marriage of their daughter, Norma Maude, to Richard R. Baker, son of Mr. and Mrs. R. R. Baker of Gillett, Pa., Thursday evening, May 28, 1936, at Millerton by the Rev. Rosencrans. 


Lawrence Corners, June 24—Mrs Sarah Smith, 83, died at the home of her son Bert, Tuesday night. She is survived by another son, Walter of this place and a daughter Mrs. Lucy Stone of Elmira. The funeral will be held at the local Baptist Church Thursday at 3 p.m. The Rev. Ora Crippen will officiate and interment will be in the local cemetery. (handwritten on article 1931) 


Ray lee Burley, 42, of 408 Locust Street, who conducted a grocery and meat market at 428 Pennsylvania Avenue, died Wednesday noon after a brief illness of an abscess in the brain. He is survived by his widow; a daughter, Betty Eleanor; a brother L. L. Burley of Jackson Summit, Pa.; two sisters Mrs. W. N. Smith of Millerton, Pa., and Mrs. George Harrison of Caton.

The funeral will be held at the Centenary M. E. Church Saturday at 2 p.m. The Rev. C. G. McConnell will officiate. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery. (handwritten on article July 27, 1927) 


Wellsboro, May 13—David Orr, 76, died at the County Home Saturday. The body was removed to his former home in Daggett, Pa. for burial. 

 The Rev. W. H. Dallman, a former resident of Elmira, died Friday, Jan. 21, 1938, at Port Allegany, Pa. He was a former pastor of the Baptist Church at Waverly from 1919 until 1927. He had been retired about three years. The Rev. Mr. Dallman is survived by his wife, Mrs. Lillian L. Dallman of Port Allegany; two daughters, Mrs. E. E. Dailey of Jamestown, Mrs. H. L. Hurlbut of Ithaca; two sons D. A. Dallman of Phillipsburg, N.J.; the Rev. M. L. Dallman of Franklin, N.Y. The funeral will be held Sunday at 3 p.m. at Port Allegany. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira Monday with a committal service at 11:30 a.m. 
 Mrs. Grace Metcalf, formerly of Elmira, died Thursday at 8 p.m. in Elmira after an extended illness. She was a member of Rebekah Lodge, Golden Link, 128. She is survived by one son, Robert of Corning; two brothers, Fred Wheeler of Elmira and Dr. Harry Wheeler, of Kane, Pa. The body is in the Hagerman funeral home where services will be held Saturday at 1:30 p.m The Rev. W. H. Willits. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery. (handwritten on article 1938) 
 Mrs. Roxy Oldroyd Brewer, 83, widow of Hendrick Brewer, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Sterling at Mosherville, Pa., at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 13, 1936. One other daughter, Mrs. E. F. Van Dine of Horseheads, and one sister, Mrs. Maggie Avery of Elmira, survive. The funeral will be held at the Mosherville Church. Thursday at 2 p.m. The Rev. George Burroughs will officiate. Burial at Mosherville Cemetery. 
 William T. Beckhorn died unexpectedly at the family home in Rochester, Wednesday, Feb. 9, 1938. He was born near Millerton, Pa., the son of Henry F. and Jane White Beckhorn. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Lena Hall Beckhorn; two step-daughters; two brothers, Fred of Valois, N.Y., John of Ithaca; two sisters, Mrs. Leon Long, Valois, N.Y., Mrs. W. H. Kidder, Elmira; several nieces and nephews.Funeral service Monday, Feb. 14 at 1:30 p.m. Burial in Rochester.

"Then nestle your hand in your Father’s,

And sing if you can as you go;

Your song may cheer some one behind yo’,

Whose courage is sinking low;

And—well, if your lips do quiver,

God will love you better so."

Herald of Light 


Owen B. Judson, formerly of Gillett, Pa. Funeral was held at the home of Mrs. M. E. Seafuse, 529 Pennsylvania Avenue, today at 8 a.m. and in the St. Mary Church at 9 o’clock. The Rev. Irving C. Sullivan officiated. The pall bearers were Samuel Parfitt, James Judson, John Liddy, Thomas Mack, Larie W. Judson, George Hauselman. Burial was in the SS. Peter and Paul Cemetery. (handwritten on article May 9, 1934) 


A couple of suspected "David Harums" sit in the Chemung County Jail awaiting the outcome of a horse deal that led to their arrest.

They are Eugene Perry, 52, of Mansfield, Pa., RD2 and Royal B. Compton, 33, of Millerton, Pa., RD 2.

The two were arrested on a bench warrant Friday by Sheriff Harry J. Tifft and Deputy Truman L. Burnham and arraigned Saturday before Judge Bertram L. Newman. They denied charges of second degree grand larceny contained in a sealed indictment, and were remanded to jail in default of bail.

William Avery of Seeley Creek charges the two bested him in a horse swap Apr. 3. They came to his farm, he said, and struck a bargain whereby Avery would receive a team of horses in exchange for a horse, mule and $20. Perry and Compton departed with the animals and the $20. Avery saying he would follow on the next day to claim his team, it is charged.

Avery charges that when he saw the team his disappointment was so keen that he called the deal off and asked for the return of his animals and money. Perry and Compton insisted "a deal was a deal" and asked Avery "to please get his two animals off the farm", Avery reported.

But Avery departed without the horses. Within the week, he said, he heard from the horse traders that one of the horses had died and that he was expected to arrange for disposal of the carcass.

This was too much for Avery.

So he took to whole matter to the District Attorney and the Grand Jury, then in session.

Perry and Compton told the sheriff they can’t understand what all the "fuss" is about. All the animals together, they said, are "not worth more than $50." 


Trial of Eugene Perry to Be Held in June—Compton, Companion in Alleged Transaction, Under Bail.

Eugene Perry, 52, of Mansfield RD 2 was released from Chemung County Jail Monday under $500 bail to await trial in June charged with petit larceny.

Royal B. Compton, 33, of Millerton, Pa., RD 2, a companion of Perry in a "horse swap" early this month that led to the arrest of the two posted similar bail Sunday.

They are charged with having taken a horse, mule and $20 from William Avery of Seeley Creek Apr. 3 upon the representation Avery was to receive in return a "fine team of horses." When Avery saw the team he refused to drive them home, demanding instead the return of the horse, mule and $20. When the two insisted he take only the team and when one of the team later died, Avery reported the deal to District Attorney Sheldon F. Roe, who presented the case to the Grand Jury.

Officers were informed Monday that Avery visited the farms of Perry and Compton and drove away his horse and mule which are now stable securely in the Avery barn. 


A Chemung County jury declared two Pennsylvania "horse swappers" guilty of second degree grand larceny Friday after deliberating an hour.

Royal Compton of Mansfield, Pa., RD and Eugene Perry of Millerton, Pa. RD, were convicted after a brief trial which was confined to review of the horse deal in which they swapped a team of horses with William G. Avery of Seeley Creek for a horse, mule and $20.

The jury decided the defendants were guilty of fraudulent representation in the deal. The prosecution contended the two had deliberately attempted to defraud Avery of his animals and money. The defense had argued it was a "David Harum" deal and that Compton and Perry were innocent of criminal intent. (handwritten on article June 27, 1936) 


Characterized by the defense as a David Harum swap and by the prosecution as second degree grand larceny, a horse deal was aired Friday in County Court before Judge Bertram L. Newman in the trial of Royal Comtpon, 52, of Mansfield, Pa. RD 2 and Eugene Perry, 33, of Millerton, Pa., RD 2.

The two were arrested last April after William G. Avery of Seeley Creek complained to county police that he had been victimized through misrepresentation in a horse deal. They were indicted by the April Grand Jury.

The electrocution of Bruno Hauptmann served to establish the date of the deal. Avery, first prosecution witness, said he knew the date because he shared his interest in the deal with the news from the death house at Trenton, N.J.


He said Perry came to his farm to deal for a mule which he wanted to team with one he owned in Pennsylvania. The dickering became complicated when Perry said he would deal with Compton for a mare owned by Compton’s grandmother at Roseville, and include it in the swap. At this, Avery suggested that Compton include a horse Grandma Compton bought from Avery last November.

At the end of the morning Avery said a deal had been struck and Perry was to buy Grandma Compton’s team from Compton, and trade it to Avery for his mule, a horse and $20.

When Perry came for his mule and animals, Mrs. Avery testified, Compton was in low spirits over the transaction and complained to her that Perry had "talked him out of a team." Perry, she said came into the house in high spirits and observing his downcast friend told him, "Royal, you’re bad enough off, but what about Avery?"

Mrs. Avery said she and her hired hand found out what Perry meant the following morning when they went to Roseville to claim their team. Mr. Avery said the mare was down on the barn floor on the Compton farm "terribly thin and in terrible condition."

"Prince", the horse he had sold to Grandma Compton, he said he found down with the cows in the basement of the barn and also in "terrible condition." He said he fed the animals and left them later demanding of Perry and Compton the return of his horse and mule and $20.


Avery’s version of the deal was supported by his wife and hired man, Herman Muleisen.

Charles Farr of Baldwin Street told of trucking the animals into Pennsylvania and of pausing at Jobs Corners to hear the radio account of Hauptmann’s electrocution. Sam.B. Allen, Pine City auctioneer said he could value Avery’s mule at $100 and the horse at $75.

Avery admitted that the animals have been returned to his barn after he secured a warrant and the aid of a constable at Mansfield.

Defense Attorney Harry Markson said no basis exists for any criminal action in the case,

That Avery was bested in an old fashioned horse swap, sight unseen. District Attorney Sheldon F. Roe said the two never owned the team and that the transaction was part of a

Scheme to raise money to finance an evening’s entertainment in Elmira.

The jury is J. Earl Bateman, William H. Burley, Fred B. Jones, Clifford W. Thomas,

Anthony Dick, George McEwen, William M. Randall, Glen C. Simkin, Lee J. Baylor,

? (can’t read) W. VanBuren, Raymond C. ?(can’t read) and John A. Wenck.


Motions to set aside the convictions of Eugene Perry and Royal Compton were denied by Judge Bertram L. Newman Thursday in County Court.

Perry and Compton were taken to Attica Prison Thursday morning by Sheriff Harry J.

Tifft to start one to five year sentences imposed Wednesday by Judge Newman. The

Pair were convicted Friday of second degree grand larceny as the outcome of a horse

Deal last April.

The motions were made by Attorney Judson R. Hoover, who appeared for the

Defendants’ attorney, Harry Moseson, who was out of the city. Attorney Hoover

Argued that the prosecution had failed to prove criminal intent in the deal and termed

The verdict contrary to the evidence and law. (handwritten on article July 2, 1936) 


Attica Prison terms were given three prisoners in Chemung County Court Wednesday

Morning by Judge Bertram L. Newman.

Eugene Perry of Roseville, Pa., and Royal Compton of Millerton, Pa., were sentenced

To from one to five years, and Paul W. Childs of Andover from three to 15 years.

Perry and Compton, convicted by a County Court jury Friday of second degree larceny,

Had pleaded that the horse swap on which the charges were based was nothing but a "David Harum horse deal." Judge Newman told the pair he was imposing sentences because of their discreditable social record in their home communities.

Childs, last Thursday, admitted participation in the Rock Springs holdup last September.

A poor choice of companions, Judge Newman told him, was the cause of his criminal

Career. After his release from prison, the judge said, his choice of associates will be

Supervised until expiration of the 15 year maximum period.

All three will be taken to Attica Thursday by Sheriff Harry J. Tifft. (handwritten on

Article July 1, 1936) 

 Saturday, June 10, 1933


Wellsboro—Evan Price Rees, an outstanding figure in Tioga County political circles and since 1926 prothonotary, died Friday at 8 p.m. following an extended illness.

Mr. Rees today was mourned by hundreds of friends throughout the northern tier. His was a personality that quickly made and held friends.

Mr. Rees was born in Morris Run, the son of Thomas and Anna Price Rees. He came to Wellsboro at the age of 16, attended public school and as a young man purchased a cigar factory. At 21 he began active participation in Tioga County politics, a pursuit in which his keen mind found full expression. Astute and sagacious, he became a leader men like to follow; whose advice was eagerly sought and closely adhered to.

In 1914 he was elected sheriff, serving four years. In 1918 he became treasurer of the Tioga County Savings & Trust Company and in 1926 he was appointed prothonotary to fill the unexpired term of the late Edson J. Catlin.


He was a vestryman of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, a member of Ossea Masonic Lodge of Wellsboro, active in the Coudersport Consistory, the Odd Fellows, the Chamber of Commerce, the Tyoga Country Club and the Wellsboro Service Society.

Mr. Rees is survived by his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Etner Rees; a son Thomas E. Rees of Westfield; two daughters, the Misses Elizabeth and Anna Rees, Wellsboro; two brothers, William T. Rees, Wellsboro, and Horace Rees, Tuscaloosa, Ala; a sister, Mrs. Margaret Rees Anstadt, Clearfield, Pa.

The funeral will be conducted at St. Paul’s Church Monday at 3 p.m. by the Rev. W. Nevin Elliott. It is expected that the Rev. George B. Van Waters, a former rector, will assist. Burial will be in the Wellsboro Cemetery. 


Three persons were injured in an automobile accident this morning when two cars came together in a head on collision on the Mudge curve at the eastern line of Mansfield and Richmond Township. The injured are Francis Copp, of Roseville, who was cut about the mouth and knee, Mrs. Bert Bowman, of Elmira, who has a dislocated hip, and her daughter, Margaret, who received a fractured wrist and lacerations of the face. The injured people were taken to the Meaker Clinic, where their injuries were dressed. Mrs. Bowman was later taken to the Blossburg hospital.

Mr. Copp, driving a Ford coupe, was going to the Teachers College, where he is teaching in the summer school, and Mr. Bowman was driving a Studebaker, going toward Elmira.Both cars were demolished. Both drivers blame the other. Patrolman A. R. Barrett, of the Mansfield Patrol Station, was called and is make a further investigation. Mr. Bowman is a taxi driver. (handwritten on article July 1933) 


Death Ends Sufferings of Little Douglas Mandeville, Who Had Been Unconscious During the Greater Part of Eight Weeks.

Douglas Mandeville, seven years old, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Mandeville of the South Creek Road, died at 3 o’clock Sunday afternoon as a result of injuries sustained when he was struck by an automobile near his home eight weeks ago.

The lad died at the home of his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Ira E. Mandeville, 777 Pennsylvania Avenue. He was struck by an automobile driven by Hiram Rusher while the lad was running across the road near the Erie Railroad crossing on the South Creek Road.

The authorities instituted an investigation, but were unable to learn of any criminal negligence. The boy had been unconscious mot of the time since the injury. He had been a pupil at District School No. 8. A sister, Pearl, and Mr. and Mrs. Alanson N. Sheive, grandparents, survive, besides those already mentioned.

The funeral will be held at the home of the grandparents Wednesday afternoon and at 2 o’clock at the Pennsylvania Avenue Methodist Church. Burial will be in Woodlawn Cemetery. (handwritten on article May 31, 1920) 


Ivan Siffon, died Thursday at the family home at Jackson center, Pa., after an illness of six months duration. He is survived by his widow, who before her marriage was Miss Laura Gaige of Millerton, Pa.; a daughter, Elnora; five sons, Willard, Elwood, Clifton, Lawrence and Jerry; his father, Putman Siffon of Daggett, Pa.; a sister, Mrs. Lee Berry; a brother Edward Siffon. The funeral will be held Monday at 1:30 p.m. in the Jackson Center Church. The Rev. Mr. Sharpe of Millerton Pa., will officiate. Burial in the Jackson Center, Pa., Cemetery. (handwritten on article Feb. 6, 1930) 


The community was saddened Friday by the death of Louise Colony Arenson, which occurred at the Blossburg Hospital. She was born in Mansfield, May 5, 1902, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Colony and has spent practically her entire life here. She attended the Mansfield-Richmond high school, later training in the nurses’ training school at the Blossburg Hospital. September 4, 1926, she was united in marriage to Harry Arenson and went to live in Detroit. Besides her husband, she is survived by an infant son, Craig Eugene, her parents, and two brothers Robert and Hallock.

Funeral services were held at the home of her parents Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock, Reverend Harold G. Stearns, pastor of the Methodist Church, of which Mrs. Arenson was a member, officiating; interment in Oakwood Cemetery.

Mrs. Arenson had many friends in Mansfield, who mourn her untimely death, and the sympathy of the community goes out to the bereaved family.   

Return to Obituary Scrapbook Table of Contents