The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Ninety Two

Commodore ROGERS,
Commodore Rogers, the head of the U. S. Navy, died in Philadelphia on the 1st inst. at the advanced age of seventy-three years.  He was buried with military honors, and by an order of the Navy Department, all the officers in the service are required to wear the necessary badge of mourning, for thirty days from the time they receive the news of his death.--Commodore Barron is now the head of the Navy, with an increase to his salary of $1000. 1838 (Thursday, August 23, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

David R. Porter is a member of the ‘Royal family’ of Porter who have received more money from the state at different times, than any other family in it. His father, Andrew Porter, was Surveyor General about five years, at $1,600 per annum, and thus received of the public money $8,000.” After enumerating certain offices held by the son and grandsons of Gen. Andrew Porter, it makes this remark: “The ROYAL FAMILY; it will be seen from the above, has always been fond of, and fee on TREASURY PAP’!!” Let us for one moment inquire who this head “treasury sucker of the royal family,” Andrew Porter, was.  By reference to Rogers’ Biographical Dictionary of the soldiers and statesmen of the Revolution, it will be found that Andrew Porter was appointed a captain in the revolutionary service on the 19th of June, 1776, before the declaration of independence, and served through the whole revolutionary war.  He was personally engaged in the battles of Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine and Germantown, and in the latter action nearly all his company were killed or taken prisoners.  In the battle of Trenton he received the commendation of Gen. Washington on the field for his gallant conduct in the action. In 1779 he was detached with his company to join Generals Clinton and Sullivan, in their operations against the Indians on our northern frontier, and served throughout the whole of that long perilous campaign with great credit.  He was elevated to the rank of Colonel in the army of the revolution, and in the siege of Yorktown, the closing struggle of the war of Independence, he rendered efficient service in the preparation of all the ammunition used in the siege. In 1809 he was appointed Surveyor General by Gov. Snyder, and in 1812, he had the appointment of Brigadier General in the United States army, and Secretary of War, offered him by President Madison, both of which he declined on account of his advanced age and failing health.  He died shortly after at the mature age of 70 years, universally lamented, and was buried with military honors in the Presbyterian burial ground of the borough of Harrisburg. Such is the character of this “Royal Family Sucker, who was always fed on Treasury Pap!  Who can read this low scurilo’d and brutal denunciation of one of the heroes of the revolutionary war, without mingled feelings of shame and abhorrence?  It is a disgrace to the state of Pennsylvania that its governor should employ, and be supported by such detestable human Hyenas, who rot only dig into the graves of the dead, but into the graves of those companies and supporters of Washington, whose memories are held sacred by every true American, and whose labors achieved for us the freedom we now enjoy!  These men are fit associates in their joint attack upon the democratic party, of those abolition calumniators who denounce Gen Washington as a hypocrite, a man thief, and a villian.
If a character and service like those of Andrew Porter cannot rescue his memory from the harpy attacks of Gov. Ritner’s supporters, how can we expect that his son, David R. Porter, should escape.  To draw upon him the whole artillery of the libels, it is enough that his father was a brave soldier of the revolution, and himself a candidate of the democratic party.  Had Gov. Ritner himself on any of his ancestors ever drawn a trigger in defence of the stars and stripes of his country, it would had sadly disqualified him for being the candidate of the compound of Hartford convention, British toryism and abolitionism, by which he is now so zealously supported.  (Thursday, August 30, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Charles F. Ames
Died, in this city, on the 5th inst., Charles F. Ames, printer--a young man of rare genius, precipitated to an untimely end by the demon Intemperence.  Not long since, under the influence of sober reflection, and animated, no doubt, by a sincere resolution to reform his habits, this ill-fated young man wrote and published the following penitent and beautiful lines.  But alas! his resolution was not equal to the sincerity of his penitent emotions; and relapsing into his former habits, he soon found an untimely grave.  (Thursday, October 18, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Turpin
FATAL DUEL IN IRELAND.  The immediate cause of the recent fatal duel was as follows:--About ten o’clock on the night of the 17th ult.  Mr. Bayley was standing on the bank of the grand canal, when Mr. Turpin came up and addressed to him some irritating expressions.  Mr. Bayley remonstrated, but was instantly knocked down with a large stick, with which Mr. Turpin was armed, himself being totally defenceless, and even when down the assault was continued.  A message was the consequence, the parties met, and Mr. Turpin fell, mortally wounded. Mr. Turpin survived for nearly three weeks, and we believe, expressed his perfect acquiescence in the propriety of Mr. Bayley’s conduct throughout.  It is understood that the friends of the deceased also are satisfied that neither that gentlemen nor his second, Captain Flood, are to blame in the transaction, and they will not, consequently oppose their obtaining bail, which, it is expected, they will accomplish in a day or two.  The verdict of the coroner’s jury found that the deceased received his death from a wound inflicted in “a fair duel.”  Mr. Bayley is a retired lieutenant of the army.  Mr. Turpin was of a very respectable family residing at Tullamore.  His funeral took place there on Sunday, and was attended by most of the gentlemen of the town and neighborhood.--Dublin Pilot.  (Thursday, November 1, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Sanderson and her five children,
DREADFUL POISONING.--At a small hamlet, near Preston, called Fairhurst, a Mrs. Sanderson and her five children, aged 12, 9, 6, 4 and 2 years, all died on the same day, Sept. 3d, from the effects of arsenic, which the wretched woman mixed in a pudding, for the purpose of destroying her life and theirs, because “the neighbors had turned their backs on her.”--The details of this most awful tragedy, which are published in the Preston Chronicle, are heart-sickening.  (Thursday, November 8, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Cutting
The wife of Rev. Mr. Cutting, Baptist minister in Warner, NH, hung herself on the 10th inst., in a fit of temporary derangement.  (Thursday, November 15, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Col. Wm. Lindsay
The Southern papers mention the death of Col. Wm. Lindsay, of the U. S. Army, at Huntsville, Alabama.  (Thursday, November 15, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Thursday the 18th inst., by the Rev. Mr. Hancock, Mr. Cyrus Dartt, of Charleston, to Miss Matilda Sweet, of Middleberry.  (Thursday, November 1, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Thursday, the 4th inst., by the Rev. Mr. R. T. Harcock, Mr. Michael Rease, of Charleston, to Miss Martha Butler, of Delmar.  (Thursday, November 8, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Interymarrying, with a vengeance.---A correspondent writes as that a Mr. Williams, of Doncaster, York co., England, had two daughters by his first wife, who was deceased.  The elder daughter married Mr. John Wiley, the son, and the younger married Mr. John Wiley, the father, a widower.  The older Wiley had a daughter by his first wife, whom old Mr. Williams married, and by her had a son, therefore, the elder Wiley’s wife could say, my father is my son, and I am my mother’s mother, my sister is my daughter, and I am grandmother to my brother.  This beats all.---N. Y. Sun.  (Thursday, December 13, 1838, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Marriages 1839

On Tuesday the 18th ult., by the Rev. Mr. Ewing, C. D. ELDRED, Editor of the Lycoming Gazette, to Miss Mary, daughter of H. Lenhart, Esq., all of Williamsport. (Thursday, January 3, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On the 31st ult. By Rev. L. Hancock, Mr. Dehalla Brown, to Miss Sarah Ann Whitney, all of Charleston, Tioga County. (Thursday, January 3, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Tuesday the 4th ult., by the Rev. David M’Kinney, William A. Kinslow, Esq. Editor of the Lock-Haven Eagle, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Robert Furey, of Pine Grove, Center county.  (Thursday, January 3, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Tuesday, the 15th inst., by Benjamin B. Smith, Esq., Mr. Jonah Brewster, Esq. to Miss Roxana Sprage, all of Delmar, Tioga Co, Pa.  (Thursday, January 17, 1839, Tioga Eagle,  Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

A wife worth having.---Miss C. Mitchell, of Georgia, when married some weeks ago, was dressed in silk of her own manufacture.  We hope the time will come when there will be many more such.  (Thursday, January 24, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In Charleston, on the 17th inst., by Lucius Barlow, Esq., Mr. John B. Hardy to Miss Clarissa Scagers, all of Charleston.  (Thursday, January 24, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In Charleston, on the 17th inst., by John F. Donaldson, Esq.  Mr. Alvin Starkweather to Miss _____ Smith, all of Charleston.  (Thursday, January 24, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In this borough, on the 24th inst., by the Rev. Charles Breck, Mr. Charles W. Blake, of Manchester, to Miss Catharine Dickinson, of this place.  (Thursday, January 31, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In Charleston, on the 21st instant, by the Rev. Charles Breck, Mr. Mason Seely to Miss Angeline Bowen; all of the town of Charleston.  The above hymenial notice was accompanied with a delicious wedding cake and some good wine, for which we tender our thanks; and wish the happy couple a long and prosperous life.  (Wednesday, March 27, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

DEWEY-FLETCHER (SRGP 05891 - 05892)
In Sullivan, on the 21st inst., by Solon Richards, Esq., Mr. Josiah S. Dewey to Miss Emily Fletcher, all of Candor, NY.  (Wednesday, May 1, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Never give it up, girls.--Mr. John Ayrenstein, lately led to the altar in Philadelphia Miss Rhoda Grayson after a courtship of only 34 years!  This shows what may be done if we only stick to it.  She must have had the patience of Job.  (Wednesday, May 7, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Wednesday 26 ult., in Charleston by Rev. R. F. Hancock.  Mr. Joel Catlin to Miss Almira Hill.  (Wednesday, July 10, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In Shippen township, on Sunday last by J. F. Donaldson, Esq. Mr. Charlton Phillips, to Miss Thankful, daughter of David Ellis, Esq., all of that place.  (Thursday, August 14, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In Charleston on Monday evening last by J. F. Donaldson, Esq.  Mr. Benjamin Furman of Pine Creek, to Miss Eliza Dartt of the former place.  (Wednesday, August 28, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On the 26 inst. by the Rev. R. Hancock Mr. Jacob Ogden to Miss Alvira May all of the town of Delmar.  (Wednesday, September 4, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On the 29th ult. at the Horseheads,  Chemung Co, NY, by the Rev. E. Wallee, Mr. Cyrus Norwood formerly of Carthamville, to Miss Susan Beers of Elmira.  (Wednesday, September 11, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On the 5th inst. at Lawrenceville, by the Rev. Mr. Wells, Mr. Peter B. Guernsey to Miss Eveline L., daughter of the Rev. Asa Donaldson all of Tioga, Tioga county, Pa. (Wednesday, September 11, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Tuesday the 1st inst. by Simon Houghton, Esq., Mr. Josiah B. Miller, of the State of Illinois, to Miss Jemima, daughter of Simeon Houghton, Esq. of Delmar township, Tioga Co, Pa.  (Wednesday, October 9, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

RAPER-FLETCHER (SRGP 13839 - 35982)
On Thursday the 12th ult. in Sullivan township, by the Rev. J. Mansfield, Mr. Joseph Raper to Miss Pauline Fletcher, all of Camden, NY.  (Wednesday, October 9, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In Delmar township, on Monday evening last, by J. F. Donaldson, Esq.  Mr. Nelson Field, to Miss Martha M’Ewen, both of that place.  (Wednesday, November 6, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

At Blossburg, Tioga county, by Evans Harris, Esq. on Thursday, December 12th, Mr. Francis Welch, Innkeeper, to Miss Elizabeth Ritchten, of Lycoming county.  (Wednesday, December 25, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Divorces 1839

Julia Hugg

Libel for Divorce, In the Court of Common Pleas of Tioga County.  Julia Hugg, by her next friend John Ives, 3d. Vs. Daniel Hugg, Take notice that you Daniel Hugg, are hereby required to appear at the next Court of Common Pleas, to be held at Wellsborough, in and for the county of Tioga aforesaid, on the second Monday of March next, to answer the complaint of Julia Hugg, and to show cause, if any you have, why the court aforesaid should not degree a divorce from the bonds of Matrimony agreeably to the acts of assembly in such case made and provided.  John Waklee, Sheriff, January 31, 1839. (Thursday, January 31, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Louisa Utty

Libel for Divorce,  In the Court of Common Pleas of Tioga county.  Louisa Utty, by her next friend John T. Leonard, vs. Elijah Utty.  Take notice, that you, Elijah Utty, are hereby required to appear at the next Court of Common Pleas, to be held at Wellsborough, in and for the county of Tioga aforesaid, on the second Monday of March next, to answer the complaint of Louisa Utty, and to show cause, if any you have, why the court aforesaid should not degree a divorce from the bonds of matrimony agreeably to the acts of assembly in such case made and provided.  John Waklee, Sheriff. February 6, 1839.  (Thursday, February 7, 1839, Tioga Eagle, Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Marriages 1840

On the 25th ult. By the Rev. Charles Breck, Mr. William Bache, jr. to Miss Mary Elizabeth, daughter of the late Archibald Nichols, formerly of Chenango co, NY, all of Wellsboro, Tioga Co, Pa.  (Wednesday, January 1, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On the 31st ult., at Tioga Village, Tioga co, Pa., by the Rev. Charles Brock, J. S. Buen, to Eliza, daughter of Elijah DePui.  (Wednesday, January 8, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Thursday, 13th inst. by  B. B. Smith, Esq.  Mr. Nelson Austin of Charleston, to Miss Lydia Thompson of this Borough.  (Wednesday, February 26, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Thursday, 27th inst.  by B. B. Smith, Esq. Mr. Noah Wheeler to Miss Laura Henry, of Charleston.  (Wednesday, March 4, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Thursday the 5th inst. by the Rev. Francis Strang of Lawrenceville, Mr. Peter W. Mantor, to Miss Selena L. Dailey both of Tioga.  (Wednesday, March 11, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Queen of England
By the last arrival at New York, we learn that the Queen of England was married on the 10th of February, to Prince Albert.  The Prince is to receive thirty thousand pounds per annum.  We will perhaps be able to give a full account next week.  (Wednesday, March 18, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Queen of England.
Marriage of the Queen.  The Queen of England was married to Prince Albert on the 10th of February, at the Royal Chapel.  The day was inauspicous, a heavy rain falling, but immense multitudes assembled to gaze upon the processions. Since the marriage of her Royal Highness the late Princess Charlotte of Wales, there has been no occurrence connected with the royal family of England which excited so great an interest.  It was known throughout the metropolis in the course of the last week that the celebration of the marriage would take place an noon, instead of an advanced hour of the evening, as was heretofore the custom with respect to royal marriages.  The knowledge of this fact brought many, many thousands from all sides of London into the Park at an early hour.  Never did St. James’ present such an extraordinary display--never was such an immense multitude assembled there since the rejoicings at the visit of the allied sovereigns in 1814. Buckingham Palace.--Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent, and the twelve Bridemaids were in attendance upon her Majesty at an early hour.--The Princess Sophia Matilda of Gloucester, the Duchess of Cambridge, the Duchess of Gloucester, and the Princess Augusta, also arrived early at the Palace, and were admitted to her Majesty’s private apartment. The Royal Bride’s Procession began to move through the triumphal arch at twelve o’clock.  The cheers of the men and women’s fond and audible aspirations of sympathy continued, until the royal salute of twenty guns announced that the Queen was entering her carriage.  When she appeared amongst them beyond the precincts of the Palace, she was hailed with acclamations of love and royalty, which seemed to affect her so much that tears might better express the intensity of her feelings than even the winning smiles she wore as she repressed her emotions.  The cries of “God Bless Her!” which burst upon her ear from every side, evidently affected her. The procession passed on to the garden entrance of St. Jame’s Palace, by which her Majesty proceeded, up the grand staircase, to the Queen’s Closet or Privy Council Chamber, immediately behind the Throne Room, where she remained till the order of the procession was arranged in front of the Throne, of which her Majesty received notice from the Lord Chamberlain. Prince Albert’s portion of the procession moved first, preceded by the Lord and Deputy Chamberlain, who conducted his royal highness to the chapel, where he remained on the right hand side or left of the alter.  The Lord Chamberlain and Deputy Chamberlain then returned to her Majesty, and having taken their prescribed advanced, preceded by music, and guided by the officers of the Earl Marshal. At half past nine, there were comparatively few seats occupied in the gallery, and none in the pews below. In the Ambassador’s gallery, facing the alter, among the first arrivals, were the American Minister and Mrs. Stevenson, the Turkish Ambassador, the Princess Esterhazy, Mr. and Mrs. Van De Wern, Count and Countess Bjornstjerna, the Swedish Ambassador, Russian Ambassador, Count Sebastiana--a number of others arrived in rapid succession, and the south gallery soon presented a magnificent display of costly diamonds, stars and decorations.  At ten o’clock one of the bands marching into the Palace yard, passed the chapel window playing “Haste to the Wedding,” and while a smile mantled the faces of the ladies, the Archbishop of Canterbury most appropriately entered the chapel, and proceeded up to the alter. In the lower pew, on the right of the alter were the Duke of Devonshire, with magnificent nuptial favors, depending from either shoulder, the Duke of Bedford, the Duke of Sutherland, and the Ladies Sutherland, Marquis of Westminister, the Duke of Wellington, who also wore bows of white satin ribbon, his Waterloo medal, and carried his Field Marshal’s baton.  His Grace appeared to form an abject of much interest and curiosity to those assembled in the Chapel. At eleven o’clock the choristers preceded by Sir Geogre Smart, took their seats in the organ gallery, and shortly afterwards the Archbishop of Canterbury and York assisted by the Bishop of Llandaff, Dean of the Chapel, took their places on the right side of the communion table. The second pew on the right side of the alter was appropriated to the Queen Dowager and suit. The Queen Dowager entered immediately afterward, and took her seat on the right of the state chair appropriated to Prince Albert--all the spectators rose on her enterance, and her Majesty courtesied at this mark of respect. At half past twelve, the folding doors of the entrance of the Chapel were thrown open, and immediately afterwards the drums and trumpets in the distance announced the approach of the Procession of the Bridegroom. On entering the chapel the drums and trumpets filed off without the doors and the procession advancing, his Royal Highness was conducted to the seat provided for him on the left side of the alter.  His supporters, the Duke of saxe Coburg and Gotha, and the hereditary Prince, with the officers of their suite, occupied seats near Prince Albert. His Serene Highness wore a field Martial’s uniform, with large rosetts of white satin on his shoulders.  There was a flush on his brow as he entered the chapel, while his manly and dignified bearing, and the cordial and unaffected manner with which he greeted those of the Peers and Peeresses around him, with whom he had been previously acquainted, won all heats, and many of those around us, either with their lips or hearts, pronounced that Prince Albert was a consort worthy of Queen Victoria. The Lord Chamberlain and Vice Chamberlain, proceeded by drums and trumpets, having returned to attend her Majesty. Her Majesty then proceeded to the chapel. Her Majesty wore a magnificent lace robe and veil of the most exquisite workmanship.  The only ornament on her head was a wreath of orange flowers, and a small diamond pin, by which the nuptial veil was fastened to her hair.--Her train was of white satin, with a deep fringe of lace, and she looked the personification of dignity, gentleness & love, as she advanced up the aisle to the alter. Prince Albert met her Majesty at the haut pas, and conducted her to her seat on the right hand side of the alter. Immediately around her Majesty’s chair, were her twelve maids of honor attired in virgin white, while in the centre sat her majesty, “the leading star of every eye.”  Prince Albert standing on her right, and her Royal highness the Duchess of Kent on her left.  A little further to the left stood the Duke of Sussex, Duke of Cambridge, Lord Melbourne, the Lord Chancellor, and the other great officers of State. The Archbishop of Canterbury having advanced to the rails, her Majesty and Prince Albert approached him, & the service commenced: The Archbishop of Canterbury having asked--”Who giveth this woman to be married to this man?” His Royal Highness the Duke of Sussex, who occupied a seat on the left of her Majesty, advanced and taking her Majesty’s hand, said “I do”.  The Archbishop of Canterbury then laid hold of her Majesty’s hand, and pressing it in that of Prince Albert’s proceeded with the ceremony. The rubric was ridgedly adhered to throughout.  The Archbishop of Canterbury read the services with great appropriatness and much feeling, the Bishop of London repeating the response. While the services was proceeding, her Majesty was observed to look frequently at Prince Albert, who was standing at her side.  In fact she scarcely ever took her eyes off him till she left the chapel. The service having concluded, the several members of the Royal Family who had occupied places around the alter, returned to take up their positions in the procession.  On passing her Majesty they all paid their congratulations; and the Duke of Sussex, after shaking her by the hand in a manner which appeared to have little ceremony but with cordiality in it, affectionately kissed her cheek.  After all had passed, with the exception of the Royal bride and bridegroom, her Majesty stepped hastily across to the other side of the alter, where the Queen Dowager was standing, and kissed her. Prince Albert then took her Majesty’s hand and the Royal pair left the chapel, all the spectators standing. After the ceremony, the procession returned through the suit of apartments her Majesty and her illustrious consort walking hand in hand, and acknowledged with gracious smiles and cheers with which the walls of the ancient Palace now re-echoed, for it must be observed that the procession passed on its way to the chapel. The Attestation.--On reaching the throne-room the form of attestation took place, when her Majesty and Prince Albert signed the marriage register, which was attested by the members of state present.  A splendid table had been prepared for the purpose, and this part of the ceremony presented one of the most auspicious spectacles of the day. Having remained a short time in the Royal Closet, her Majesty & the Prince returned in the same carriage from the Royal Garden of St. James’ to Buckingham Palace, and the generous greeting which burst from the crowds, whose numbers the pelting rain had not diminished, seemed to be in a great measure addressed to the ear of Prince Albert, who acknowledged the kindness evidently with deep feeling. Her Majesty and his Royal Highness Prince Albert left Buckingham Palace at four o’clock, in a carriage and four, with four outriders in scarlet liveries, and escorted by a party of light dragoons for Windsor Castle. Crowds of people triumphal arches, flags, and other cemonstrations of joy lined the road to Windsor and the preparations there to receive the royal couple were on a grand scale.  A banquet was given at the Town Hall, and ample supplies for all poor families at their dwellings.  The wedding favor was worn by all, rich and poor.  Eba College was splendidly illuminated, and wreaths and festoons of flowers were hung about the streets in all directions.  The reception was cordial in the highest degree. The state banquet, in celebration of her Majesty’s marriage was given last evening at St. James’ Palace, in the grand banqueting room.  A cross table at the end of the room was appropriated for the principal guests, the rest of the company occupied two long tables at the sides of the room. In the middle of the cross table was placed her Majesty’s wedding cake, decorated with four elegant flags of white satin, containing the royal arms.   The gold plate was used at the banquet, and the plateaus of the cables contained some of the finest epergues and candelabra in the royal collection, embellished with classical and mythological subjects. A magnificent sideboard at the end of the room, hung with crimson, drapery, looped up with white rosettes, the highest in the centre surmounted by an imperial crown, displayed to great advantage a great number of every variety of shields, salvers, vases, and tankards, and cups, interspersed and illuminated with candelebra and sconces.  The shield immediately under the crown had a fine alto-relievo, the subject a battle piece.  At the bottom of the sideboard was a number of choice tankards and cups, the most interesting of the number being the national cup, designed by Flaxman, with the patron saints of England, Ireland, and Scotland in riches, introduced on the circumference, and, between the divisions the national badges of the three nations formed by precious stones and surmounted each by crowns. All the company came in court dress, the members of the orders of knighthood wearing their respective insignia. The band of the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards was in attendance in the ante-room, and performed a number of favorite selections in the course of the night. Grand dinner parties in honor of the day, to all of which the guests came in full court dress were given. The account from Windsor, state, that on Tuesday morning her Majesty and her Consort rose to breakfast as early as half past eight, and subsequently were seen walking arm in arm on the slopes of the Castle.  The dinner party in the evening was confined to the immediate attendants.  On Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, his Royal Highness Prince Albert drove her Majesty out in a pony pleston.  The royal couple appeared in excellent health and spirits, and were greeted with the renewed cheers of the people among whom their appearance was unexpected. On Friday, at 4 o’clock, her Majesty and Prince Albert returned to the palace from Windsor, in a travelling chariot and four, escorted by a troop of dragoons. The public being prepared for her arrival, an immense multitude was assembled to greet her and her royal consort. There was a large party invited to meet her majesty and the Prince in the evening. On the following Wednesday, her Majesty held a leeve at St. James’ Palace at two o’clock. Illuminations, fastings and rejoicing were general all over the kingdom.--The city of London and other corporations, the several clubs, did ample justice to the occasion, and the good things of the world. The theatres, which were opened gratiously, were all thronged to an overflow, and in most of them due attention was paid to the primary cause of the enjoyment afforded, and the royal anthem of “God save the Queen,” was received with universal cheers. Every house of entertainment was crammed with joyous parties, and the metropolis; from one end to the other, was one scene of mirth and hilarity. In conclusion we should observe, that congratulatory addresses have poured in from every quarter, and there appears to be but one feeling abroad, which is-- “Long live the Queen and his Highness Prince Albert.” So wishing the happy pair all the happiness they wish themselves, we bid farewell to this interesting subject.  (Wednesday, March 25, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Thursday evening last, by the Rev. Dr. De Witt, Mr. John B. Bratton, one of the editors of the State Capitol Gazette, to Miss Sarah A., daughter of Mr. James R. Boyd, of Harrisburg. (Wednesday, April 1, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

At Easton on Thursday the 28th ult. By Rev. Mr. Hecht, Abraham H. Sensman, Editor of the “Easton Sentinel” to Miss Catharine M., daughter of Mr. Wm. Shouse of that borough.  (Wednesday, May 20, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

At Williamsport on the 26th ult. by the Rev. J. P. Hudson, Mr. William R. Vanderbelt, to Miss Eveline, daughter of John Beecher, Esq., all of the above named place.  (Wednesday, June 3, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

At Thompsontown, Juniata co. on the 10th ult., by the Rev. S. R. Boyer, Mr. William Henlock, one of the editors of the State Capitol Gazette, to Miss Eliza, daughter of Mr. Jacob Updegroff, both of Harrisburg.  (Wednesday, June 3, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In Spencerville June 7, by the Rev. Samuel Grinell, Mr. John W. Dewey to Miss Lucretia Rice, both of Jackson, Tioga co, Pa.  (Wednesday, June 10, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On the 25th ult., by A. E. Niles, Esq., Mr. Joel Culver, to Miss Sally Starkweather, all of Charlestown, Tioga Co, Pa. (Wednesday, July 1, 1840, Tioga Co, Pa.)

At Lawrenceville on Tuesday the 14th inst., by the Rev. E. D. Wells, Mr. S. C. Naglee, to Miss Julia J. Adams, both of Willardsburg.  (Wednesday, July 29, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

“Another Revolutionary Hero Gone.”--Married, at Mallon, Nova Scotia, on the 15th ult., Mr. Reuben Young a Lifeguard of Gen. Washington, in the Revolutionary War, aged 82, to Miss Sarah Reineff, aged 25.  (Wednesday, September 16, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On the 1st inst., by Sylvester Beckwith, Esq., Washington G. Hymes, to Miss Mary, daughter of Mr. John Readington, all of the township of Middlebury, Tioga county, Pa.   Communicated.  At the above wedding after the company had partaken of a colation at the house of Mr. Guy White, a vote, not a very ordinary circumstance, was proposed and taken on the Presidential election which resulted for Mr. Van Buren 44--and for Mr. Harrison 1.  D. H.  (Wednesday, September 16, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On the 20th inst., by A. E. Niles, Esq., Mr. Chancey Kilburn to Mrs. Lecty Daily all of Middlebury, Tioga Co.,  Pa.  (Wednesday, October 21, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Monday the 19th ult., by the Rev. Chas. Breck, Mr. Richard Searl, to Miss Lucina Mann, of Tioga.  (Wednesday, November 4, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Marriage of Miss Bonaparte.  La Presse announces the marriage, at Florence, of the Princess Amelia, daughter of Jerome Bonaparte, to the rich Russian Count Demidoff.  One of the conditions of the marriage contract is that the Count shall never, under any circumstances, bear arms against France.  (Wednesday, November 11, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Thursday the 24th inst., by A. E. Niles, Esq., Mr. Alonzo May, to Miss Nancy Peake, all of Charleston, Tioga Co, Pa.  (Wednesday, December 16, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

In Richmond, on the 16th day of December, 1840, by Benjamin Kresk, Esq., Dr. Abram Humphrey, of Tioga, to Miss Celestia Rosa, of Rutland, Tioga county, Pa. (Wednesday, December 23, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

WHEREAS, my wife Tamar has left my bed and board, without any just cause or provocation, I hereby forbid all persons harboring or trusting her on my account, as will pay no debts of her contracting after this date.  Benjamin Seely.  Charleston, Tioga Co, Pa. Jan. 29th, 1840.  (Wednesday, January 29, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Caution.  Whereas, my wife, Martha has left my bed and board, without any just cause or provocation, I hereby forbid all persons harboring or trusting her on my account, as I will pay no debts of her contracting after this date.  Lowel Chappel, Chatham, Tioga co, Pa.  Feb. 28th , 1840.  (Wednesday, March 11, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Caution.  Whereas my Wife Maria, has left my bed and board without any just cause or provocation, I therefore forbid and warn every person not to trust her any thing on my account after this date.  Jacob Scheely.  Liberty, August 3d, 1840.  (Wednesday, August 26, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Awful Calamity--Natchez Destroyed by a Tornado.  The New Orleans Bulletin of May 9th says:  By the steamer Vicksburg, Capt. Grice which arrived here last night, we have the following particulars of a tornado, which took place in Natchez on Thursday last: The devoted city of Natchez was visited yesterday with one of the most awful and distressing calamities it has ever been our fate to witness.  Yesterday, about two o’clock P. M., a dark cloud made its appearance in the south west, preceded by a continued roaring of the winds.  As it came on swiftly, and with the speed of the winds, it was met by another which was wafted from directly the opposite point of the compass.  A description of the sublime spectacle which followed is beyond the power of language to convey. At the moment of the conclusion large masses of seeming white spray were precipitated to the earth, followed by such a roaring of the wind, as if old Eolus himself was there guiding and directing the storm.  Houses were dismantled of their roofs, and it then almost immediately leveled with the earth.  The air was filled with bricks and large pieces of timber--and even heavy ox carts were uplifted and thrown hundreds of yards from their original positions.  About 60 boats lying in port were drifted from shore and sunk. The ferry boat lying between Natchez and the opposite shore, capsized and sunk every one on board is supposed to have perished.  The steamboat Hinds was capsized and sunk.  The steamboat Prarie had her cabin entirely taken off, and crew nearly all lost.--The Two Hotels in the city, one partly and the other entirely blown to the ground, and almost every house more or less injured.  It is impossible to tell how many of the citizens were killed, as the streets were filled with large pieces of timber, rendering them impassible, and the work of extracting the bodies from the fallen houses was not completed.  When the Vicksburg left, some 15 or 20 bodies had been found.  It was very difficult to effect a landing, as every house under the Hill, except five or six, was blown down, and the river filled with floating fragments of houses and flat boats. The Tornado, on leaving Natchez, followed the course of the river about 8 miles down.  The Court house in Vidaha was levelled to the ground, and the Parish Judge killed.  The trees on the opposite side of the river, as well as those on Natchez Island were all torn up by the roots, or stripped of their branches. The damage done to the crops in the neighborhood was very considerable-some plantations being deprived of all their fences, and others had every cabin taken away by the storm.  (Wednesday, May 27, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)
Napolean’s Remains
Paris papers of the 13th are wholly devoted to enthusiastic congratulations upon the order that the remains of Napolean are to be transported to France.--The papers say that General Betram and Gourgand, and Count Las Cases--those faithful followers who deemed it the highest privilege to be permitted to share the exile of their fallen chieftain and rulers--are to accompany the Prince de Joinville to St. Helena:--General Petit of whom Napolean took to affecting a leave at Fontainbleau, in 1814, will likewise proceed on the mission.  In the Chamber of Deputies, on the 12th, the Minister of the Interior, having ascended the tribune, spoke as follows: Gentlemen the King has commanded his Royal Highness the Prince de Joinville--(demonstrations of attention and curiosity)--to proceed with his frigate to the Island of St. Helena to obtain the last mortal remains of the Emperor Napolean, (Loud applause in the Chamber and the public Tribunes.)  We now ask you to grant us the means of receiving them on the soil of France with dignity worthy of his name and to erect a tomb to his memory.--(Great acclamations)  The Government anxious to accomplish a national duty--(Cries of yes,)--addressed itself to England, and requested the surrender of that precious deposite which fortune has placed in their hands.  The wish had hardly been expressed when it was complied with.  These are the words of our magnanimous allies:  “Her majesty’s Government hopes that the promptitude with which the answer is given will be considered in France as a proof of its wish to erase the last trace of those national animosities which, during the life of the Emperor, armed France against England.  Her Britannie Majesty’s Government wishes to believe that if any remains of such a sentiment still exist, they will be buried in the tomb where the last remains of Napolean shall be deposited” (Loud and long acclamations)  England is right, Gentlemen, this noble restitution will strengthen the bonds which unite us, and will contribute to efface our painful recollections of the past.  The period is arrived when the two nations should only have the remembrance of their glory.  The frigate charged with the mortal remains of Napolean will arrive at the mouth of the Seine, where they will be removed to another vessel, which will convey them to Paris.  They will be deposited at the Invalides.  A solemn ceremony--a grand religious and military pomp--will inaugurate the tomb which is to receive them forever.  It is important, Gentlemen, to the majesty of such a souvenir, that this august sepulture should not be in a public place, in the midst of a noisy and inattentive crowd.  It is proper that it should be in a silent and sacred spot, which can be visited with awe by those who respect glory and genius, grandeur and misfortune.  He was Emperor and King.  He was the legitimate sovereign of our country.  With such a title he could be interred at St. Dennis; but Napolean must not have the ordinary sepulture of kings. (Hear, hear.)  He must still reign and command in the building in which the soldiers of the country repose, and to which all who may be called upon to defend it, will go to draw their inspirations.  His sword will be placed up-on his tomb.  Under the dome in the midst of the temple consecrated by religion on to the God of Aranes, art will rise a tomb, worthy if possible, of the name which is to be engraved upon it.  In future, France, and France, alone, will possess what remains of Napolean.  The grave, like the memory of Napolean will belong only to his country.  The monarchy of 1830 is, in fact, the only and legitimate heir of all the souvenirs of which France is proud.  It belonged, doubtlessly, to this monarchy which was the first to rally all the strength and conciliate all the wishes of the French Revolution, to raise and fearlessly to honor the statute and the tomb of a popular hero; for there is only one thing which does not dread a comparison with glory--it is liberty. Sighs and tears were the first audible responses given by the Deputies to this heart-stirring Address.  Afterward they crowded round the Ministers to congratulate them upon a measure so glorious to France.  The Bill was then read as follows: Art 1.  There is opened to the Minister of the Interior, upon the estimate of 1840, a credit of 1,000,000 francs for the transportation of the mortal remains of the Emperor Napolean to the Church of the Invalides, and for the erection of his tomb. Art 1.  The expenditure authorized by the present law shall be provided for by the resources granted by the law of finances of August 10, 1839, for the estimate of 1840.  (Wednesday, June 17, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)
The U. S. Ship Columbia, Com.  Readily arrived at Boston on Saturday week, after an absence of twenty-five months, in which time she has circum-navigated the globe.  During the cruise, she lost seventy-seven of her crew, chiefly from dysentery.  (Wednesday, July 1, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)
Obituaries and Death Notices 1840
In Liberty township on the 18th ult., after a lingering illness of about two months Elizabeth, consort of John Levergood, jr., aged 70 years.  (Wednesday, January 1, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Henry Kobler Musselman
Henry Kobler Musselman was executed on Friday last, in the jail yard at Lancaster, between the hors of 2 and 3 o’clock.  He behaved with much firmness on the scaffold, and protested his innocence almost with his last breath.  (Wednesday, January 1, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Welthy Culver
In Charleston township, Tioga co, on the 2d inst. after a lingering illness, Mrs. Welthy Culver, consort of Joel Culver, aged 36 years.  (Wednesday, January 8, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Decatur
Mrs. Decatur, the wife of the late Commodore Stephen Decatur, died suddenly on the 9th ult., at Washington city.--She was one of the most elegant women of the age.  (Wednesday, January 15, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Joseph Lamson
Man Killed--The powder mill of the American Powder Company, in Sunbury, Mass. Blew up on Monday morning last.  Mr. Joseph Lamson, belong to the town of Russel, was observed going into the mill with an axe upon his shoulder, after which the explosion immediately occurred, and Mr. L. was killed.  No other person was near the building.  (Wednesday, January 15, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Robert T. Lytle
The New Orleans papers announce the death in that city, on the 22d ult. of General Robert T. Lytle, of Cincinnati.  Gen. Lytle is well remembered by the public for his short but brilliant career in Congress a few years since, when he represented the Cincinnati District, and attracted much attention by his fervid eloquence.  He was afterwards appointed Surveyor General of Ohio by General Jackson.  At the time of his death, he was on his way to Texas for the benefit of his health, being in a rapid decline.  (Wednesday, February 5, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Commodore Isaac Chauncey
Another brave heart beats no more.  Commodore Isaac Chauncey, one of the senior officers of the navy, and president of the board of navy commissioners, died at Washington on Monday last. We have not the means directly at hand for sketching the life of this brave, patriotic, and truly estimable man.  He has passed his life in the service, having in his boyhood served with the old commodore in the navy.  Our first personal acquaintance with him was formed during the winter of 1812-13, at Sackett’s Harbor. When, during the war then waging between the United States and Great Britain, the British were increasing their navy upon Lake Ontario, under the command of Sir James Lucas Yeo, Capt. Chauncey was detached to the command of the American navy upon the lake, and his winter’s rendezvous was at Sackett’s Harbor.  It was there, that under the direction of Chauncey; the skillful and patriotic Eckford caused, as if by magic, the transformation of the adjacent trees of the forest into a gallant navy, embracing ships brave and large. The service of the lake was arduous; both happily was almost bloodless, since it was a war of tactics between the two inland admirals.  The opposing navies could never be brought into fair fight--the growth of the American navy having been too rapid and large to suit the British Commodore.  But there were several beautiful chases, and some elegant manoueuvering.  Both officers were exceedingly vigilant; but the American gained his purposes, by victories of skill, gallant, though bloodless. After the war, the Commodore served upon the Mediteranean and other stations, and was subsequently for a long time in command of the New York station.  His death will be mourned by all who knew him.--N.Y. Com. Adv.  (Wednesday, February 19, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Death of the King of Denmark
Intelligence of 3d Dec. from Copenhagen reached Paris on the 11th, announcing the death of Frederick IV., King of Denmark, which took place on that day.  He expired without pain, without sickness, and to the last moment concealed the symptoms of his end.--Frederick 4th was 71 years of age, and has reigned 31 years. Christian 8th, cousin of the deceased king, has been proclaimed sovereign of Denmark.  All the constituted authorities civil and military, and the soldiery of Copenhagen, have sworn fidelity to the new King.  Great hopes are raised upon his accession of future reforms and ameliorations in the Government.  (Wednesday, February 19, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. John McMilan
Mr. John McMilan of Mercer township, Butler county, was frozen to death on Thursday night, on his return home from Harrisville, in the same township.  His body was not discovered until ten o’clock the next morning.  (Wednesday, February 19, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

A man named Black
Remarkable Death..--A man named Black, of Ontario co, NY, it is stated, lately said, that if a lady of whom he was enamored should refuse him her hand, he would drop dead at her feet.  Singular to relate, he proposed on Sunday the 12th inst. and was rejected, when he immediately fell dead.  A post mortem examination discovered a rupture of a blood vessel near the heart.  (Wednesday, February 19, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Thomas Haynes Bayley, Esq.
This sweet lyrical poet died at Cheltenham, (Eng.) in April.--He has been, we fear, another example of the sad and unfortunate lot of literary men.  Born to good expectations, and married to a beautiful and accomplished woman, who brought him a considerable fortune.  Mr. Bayley began the world under the most favorable auspicies, and mixed with the best society of the day.  His expectations, were, however, disappointed; and he could not fall back into a sufficiently economical course, till the pressure of circumstances impoverished him beyond a remedy.  For it is hard and difficult, if not impossible, for a person so situated, to disentangle himself, and again enjoy a fair field for the exercise of his abilities.  In England, poverty is the worst of crimes, and punished more unrelentingly than the deepest guilt.--So did Mr. Bayley find it.--Lad. Garland.  (Wednesday, February 26, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Rutland Township death
On Monday of last week, a man residing in Rutland township of this county, was killed by the falling of a limb.  He had gone into the woods to cut fire wood; after falling a tree, he commenced chopping it in to, when a limb, which had been broken off and lodged in another tree near him, fell and struck him on the head producing instant death.  He was a poor man with a wife and six children depending on his daily labor for support.  (Wednesday, February 26, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Steamboat Disaster
The Hermittage which left Nashville on the 13th, come in collision with the Hugh L. White, in the neighborhood of the Harpeth Shoals and sunk in ten feet water.  She was crowded with passengers, but only one life--that of a fireman--was lost.  (Wednesday, February 26, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Sophia Ann Tovee
In Charleston on the 7th inst. Mrs. Sophia Ann Tovee, aged 31 years, leaving a husband and two children to mourn their loss.  (Wednesday, February 26, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Man named Ailmon
We are informed that a man by the name of Ailmon, was frozen to death on the road between M’Allisterstown and Thompsontown, while driving an Ox team on that road.  He was found dead in his sled.  (Wednesday, March 4, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Stephen Girard
Stephen Girard, born in France in 1750, came to the United States as a cabin boy, made a few voyages as captain, established himself in Philadelphia as a small grocer, became a merchant and banker, and died in that city on the 26th of December, 1831, leaving an estate valued at about twelve million of dollars.  Being a widower and childless, and having evinced during his long life no special liberality towards his most distant connexions, it had become a subject of popular curiosity to know what disposition he would make of his great accumulations.  We have heard of some who hoped they might not die before they should know the contents of Mr. Girard’s will.  His reserved and taciturn disposition gave no clue to the speculations of the inquisitive, and the great secret never transpired until the estate of the old “mariner and merchant,” as he styled himself in his testament, passed into the hands of his executors.  It then appeared, that after various bequests to public and private charities, amounting to about two million of dollars, all the residue of his property was devoted to the establishment and maintenance of an institution for the support and education of “poor white male orphans.”  The sum of two millions is specifically assigned for this purpose, but he whole of the residuary estate is a fund from which if necessary, the Orphan College (as it is called), is to be maintained. When we consider that Mr. Girard was an illiterate man, unsocial in his habits, absorbed during his whole life in the mere routine of business, hoarding his gains and scarcely ever relaxing his grasp in favour of the claims of humanity, the final disposition of his wealth must be regarded as far more judicious than might have been expected, and an emphatic tribute to the value of an education, the want of which, in his own case, all his millions could not supply.  There is no evidence in the terms or provisions of the will that he was impelled by motives of ambition.  He did not give his name to the institution, he prescribed the erection of a building, the characteristics of which should be “strength, convenience and neatness, avoiding needless ornament;” the system of instruction in his mind comprehended only a plain and substantial preparation for such situations in life as generally fell to the lot of destitute boys,” and in fact, the only monumental feature of the plan is the greatness of the foundation for its support, and the motive of the founder, for this seems purely to have been to extend the benefits of the institution to as great a number as possible.  Those scholars who shall merit it, shall remain in the College, until they shall respectively arrive at between fourteen and eighteen years of age; they shall then be bound out by the Mayor, Alderman and Citizens of Philadelphia, or under their direction, to suitable occupations, as those of agriculture, navigation, arts, mechanical trades, and manufactures, according to the capacities and requirements of the scholars respectively, consulting, as far as prudence shall justify it, the inclinations of the several scholars, as to the occupation art or trade to be learned.”  Sec. xxi. Parag. 9, of the Will. (Wednesday, March 4, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

The Murders Cell.  The editor of the Missouri and Illinois Temperance Herald in a late paper, gives the following interesting sketch of a visit to Buchanan who was hanged in St. Louis on the 3d of January. We were met at the entrance by a good looking man, of some three or four and thirty, attired in the garb, and having the deportment of a gentleman.  He set a chair, and asked us to be seated.  He drew a chair for himself and sat down by our side.  As we surveyed his features, and discovered not the least expression of savage malignity, but, on the contrary, what we considered the fair index of benevolence and kindness; we could not but exclaim, “Is this the man that on Friday next is to expatiate the guilt of murder upon the gallows?”  He appeared dejected in view of his awful condition, but was communicative. In answer to our enquiries he stated that he was thirty years old, was a native of Princeton, New Jersey, where he was a child, he went to Sunday School for several years and had faithful teachers.  He lived in the family of Judge Bayard, where they worshiped God daily--morning and evening.  The ladies of the family would instruct him on Sundays out of the Bible.  His mother was a godly woman, is still living an aged and deely afflicted widow.  He has not seen her for three years.  He showed us letters he had received from her since he had been imprisoned the following sentence occurred in one of them.  “What?  O my son could have taken a possession of you.  You were always a good and kind child to me, and never had the bad habit of drinking.  I am afraid you have fallen into bad ways since you left Princeton, I have seen so little of you of late years, that it may be you drink.  I can account for this dreadful business in no other way.”  She also mentioned the fact that a younger son had become insane, since his brother’s melancholy fate had been decided. The prisoner was brought up to the trade of hat making.  It injured his health and he was advised by a physician to engage in some light occupation.  “I accordingly, said he, engaged as a Bar keeper, in Philadelphia, Until this time,--nine years ago, when I was twenty five years old, I hardly new what liquor was.  And for three or four years after I commenced the business, I seldom tasted any liquor.-- It is now about five years since I began to drink a little.  It grew upon me, until within the last year or two I have kept stimulated most of the time, though I was never what you may say drunk more than once or twice in my life.  I took care not to drink so much to show it.  My conscience often checked me while in the business.  Until I got into the habit of drinking myself, I never would sell liquor to a man when he was intoxicated; and whenever I could get a chance, I would go to church, but this was seldom, all my business required my attention at home almost constantly.” In April, 1838, he came to St. Louis with Fisher the keeper of the “Old Dominion.”  For some time he was steward at the race grounds, till that was broken up.  He then spent several months in Illinois--was a head steward for a company carrying on the public works in Coles county.  Last spring, Fisher wrote to him to return and keep bar for him.  He returned on the 15th of June, and kept bar till the 28th of July--the day he murdered Brown.  They had been on good terms.  He had nothing against Brown , and did not know that Brown had any thing against him.  “It was Sunday.  There was more drinking on that day than any other.  It was generally our best day.  There were six or seven boarders, all but one had been drinking, and were so much intoxicated that when they came to testify they did not know now much about it.  Brown had two fights--one below and the other above stairs.”  Prisoner had parted him from his antagonist both times.  He was not in the habit of carrying pistols, but during the fracas, he had picked up the pistols and, put them into his pocket for fear that mischief might be done with them.  Brown was angry with prisoner because he had interfered came up to the counter, drew a knife from his pocket and swore he would kill him.  Prisoner instantly drew a pistol from his pocket and shot him. “I was intoxicated,” said he; ‘but not drunk.  If I hadn’t been intoxicated, and engaged in that business, I would never have been here.  Since I have been a bar-keeper, I have often had serious reflections, and was afraid I should lose my soul.  I never attempted to pray because I knew it would be making a mock of it, till I could give up selling and drinking--No man can be religious and be in that business, because he knows he is injuring his fellow men as well as himself.  I knew all the time I was about it that I was injuring my fellow men and making their families miserable.  O!  I have seen enough of that in my time.  I have often had bad feelings, but they would pass away.  From my personal intercourse with liquor sellers, I am satisfied they all know that their business does nobody any good, but produces only mischief and misery.  But all they care about is the money they get, and they generally have so little principle if it wasn’t fear of the law, I don’t see why they wouldn’t steal money just as soon as make it in that way. It would not do people more hurt.  Mother often wanted me to leave off my selling liquor, and follow my trade.  As I am soon to die, I am anxious to do all I can for those I leave behind.  And I should like to warn all liquor sellers against the influence of their business and I hope my example may be a warning to them, I would warn all young men against drinking.  From what I have seen and experienced during the last nine years, I am convinced that no man can sin a little occasionally without becoming a drunkard.  I have seen a great many respectable men begin in this way, and not stop till they ruined their fortunes, and their health and lost their lives.  I have seen a great many families, in comfortable circumstances, reduced to poverty, and perfect wretchedness by my business, and now I deeply regret that I have in any degree contributed to it.  There is no safety any where but in letting liquor alone entirely.  When I lived with Esq. Bayard, I lived happy in those days.  O!   if I had but attended to the faithful instructions I received while in that godly family, and in Sabbath School, I might have been a respectable and useful man, and a comfort to my aged mother in her declining years.” The expressions were written down as he uttered them, and read over to him one by one, and he told us they were correct. He mentioned a fact which shows the influence of this business, in blunting every sensibility of our nature.--Since he has been confined not a single one of the 275 rum-sellers in St. Louis has ever come near him or offered to do any thing for him.  Not ever Fisher himself, his employer, has visited him but once, and that was on his own business!  Further, Burchanan’s Counsel told us, that Fisher refused to pay the postage of a letter from his mother to him--addressed to his (Fisher’s) care; and this too notwithstanding he had testified under oath at the trial, that prisoner had been, ever since he knew him, a man of perfectly unexceptionable character.  Prisoner’s counsel paid the postage himself.  (Wednesday, March 11, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

On Sunday the 8th inst., in Wellsborough, Sally, consort of Israel Greenleaf, aged 72 years.  (Wednesday, March 11, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Miss Lucy Harrington
Singular Case.--The following narrative of a most remarkable and distressing disease, is taken from the Transcript, a paper published at Amesbury, Essex county, Mass. “Miss Lucy Harrington, formerly a resident of Amesbury, recently died in Cornish, NH.  She was sick three years and a half, and confined to her bed two years and five months.  Several months previous to her death, her right hip was dislocated by a contraction of the muscle, while she was sleeping quietly in bed.  Immediately after this event her bones began to break, and before her death, they had broken nineteen times or more, in different parts of her body.  At first, her ribs, then her collar bones, and then her lower limbs, her under jaw, and the bones of her hands and feet.--Their breaking was sometimes attended with a noise, and at others not, and was always preceeded and followed by the most acute pain.  The ends of the broken bones would sometimes for a day or two, grate together on being moved.  Upon a post mortem examination, not a sound bone was found.  All was softened as to be easily cut with a knife.  When her bones began to break, the muscles of her lower limbs so contracted that they lay directly across her stomach and bowels.  In this position she remained until her death.  Her body was so contracted that at one time she measured as she lay in bed only two feet and four inches.  She gradually lost all strength in her limbs, until she could only move slightly the ends of her fingers.  She was 43 years of age.  (Wednesday, March 18, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

William Hotman
A Brave Fellow.--At New London, Connecticut, the following inscription is found on a grave stone: “On the 20th of October, 1781, four thousand English fell upon the town with fire and sword--seven hundred Americans defended the fort for a whole day; but in the evening, about five o’clock, it was taken.  The commander of the besieged delivered up his sword to an Englishman, who immediately stabbed him; all his comrades were put to the sword.  A line of powder was then laid to the magazine of the fort to the sea; there to be lighted, thus to blow up the fort into the air.  William Hotman, who lay not far distant, wounded by three strokes of the bayonet in his body beheld it, and said to one of his wounded friends who was also still alive, ‘we will endeavor to crawl to this line; we will completely wet the powder with our blood, this will we with the little life that remains to us, save the fort and magazine, and perhaps a few of our comrades who are only wounded.’  He alone had strength to accomplish this noble design.--In his thirtieth year he died on the powder which he overflowed with his blood.  His friends and several of his wounded companions by that means had their lives preserved.”  After this simple narrative are the following words, in large characters:--”Here rests William Hotman.” (Wednesday, March 18, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

School child died
Poisonous Roots.--A number of school children at Penn Yan, (NY) were recently poisoned by eating of the root of the cicuta, or poison hemlock; which they mistook for gentian and sweet sicily roots.  One of them died.  (Wednesday, March 25, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Gov. Wolf
From the Keystone of March, 16th.  Death of Ex-Governor Wolf.  We take the following account of the death of Gov. Wolf, together with the brief notice of his public services and just tribute to his virtues, from the Pennsylvanian of Thursday: We regret to state that Ex-Governor Wolf Collector of this port, died very suddenly yesterday morning about 9 o’clock.  He had long been suffering under what is supposed to have been an ossification of the heart, and was taken with spasms as he was about entering the custom House.  Assistance being procured, he was carried into the building, and Dr. Troubat in the neighborhood was sent for and arrived in a few minutes, but nothing effectual could be done.  He was able to utter but a few words, and died in about twenty minutes after the first attack.  His body was conveyed to his residence in Prune street, & information sent to the members of his family at Easton and Harrisburg.  We presume the arrangements for his funeral will be delayed till their arrival.  For many years this gentleman has ranked among the most worthy, useful and distinguished of our citizens.  Successful in his early professional pursuits, and abilities and integrity found a wider field as a Congressional representative, and then he passed in succession through the high stations of Governor of Pennsylvania, Comptroller of the Treasury of the United States, and Collector of the Customs.  In each department of public services, as in every relation of private life his duties were fulfilled to the permanent advantage of his country, and the lasting pride of all who enjoyed his friendship.  In this commonwealth, his manly, enlightened, and persevering efforts to perfect the system of internal improvement, and education, accomplished the long deferred wishes of the wise and good; and have secured for him, in its history, an honest and enduring fame. “To the family of George Wolf, his death is a calamity which words cannot alleviate.  His admirers and friends will find some consolation in dwelling upon his memory, and in knowing that to the last hour of his life he preserved unimpaired the faculties of his mind, the loftiness of his principles, and the purity of his heart.” The burial took place here on Saturday.  At a quarter past 10 A. M., the ears from Philadelphia arrived, in which were conveyed the remains, accompanied by numerous relatives and friends. A large concourse of citizens collected at the depot. At half past ten, a procession came down from the capitol, consisting of the Governor of Pennsylvania, the heads of departments, canal commissioners, members of the judiciary, senators, and representatives.  The body was then borne to the Lutheran church, followed by the relatives and friends of the deceased, by the procession from the Capitol and by hundreds of citizens and strangers.  Here the funeral service was performed by the Rev. Mr. Leece, and an address delivered by Doctor DeWitt of the Presbyterian church.  After the conclusion of these solemnities the body was committed to the grave in the adjoining church yard. (Wednesday, March 25, 1830, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Sarah PRUTSMAN Smith (SRGP 65060)
In Middlebury township, on the 14th inst., Sarah, consort of David Smith, and daughter of Jacob Prutzman, aged 29 years and three months.  (Wednesday, April 22, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Charles Chandler, Esq.
We regret to announce the death of Charles Chandler, Esq., a member of the Legislature for Susquehanna county.  He was taken with the Small Pox at Harrisburgh, and was unable to leave that place at the close of the Session.  Mr. Chandler was about 45 years of age.  (Wednesday, May 6, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hon. Hugh L. White
The Hon. Hugh L. White, died at his residence in Knoxville, Tennessee, on Friday morning, the 10th ult.  (Wednesday, May 6, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mother of Judge Thompson
Painful.--The mother of Judge Thompson, who was lately killed in Texas by the Comanche Indians, resides in this city.  She is the deepest distress from the positive news of the death of one son, and the melancholy uncertainty attending another one, who was also in Texas when the encounter occurred.  This family were formerly of Charlestown, Mass.--Sat. Courier.  (Wednesday, May 20, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Sharlet Kress
The subject of this obituary notice, Mrs. Sharlet, wife of Gen. George Kress, died on the 5th inst. at the residence of her husband, in Delmar, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, of Puerperal Convulsions, after a short but painful illness of twenty-four hours, in the 31st year of her age.  She left a devoted but disconsolate husband and three children, two daughters and a son of tender years, to mourn the early loss of a most amiable and affectionate wife, and a loving and tender mother.  But they mourn not as those without hope; her guileless spirit rests in Heaven.  They have indeed had the consolations which a life devoted to God, and death in Christ, can give in memory of the departed Consort and Mother.  And though she can no more return to cheer and bless and hallow their home, yet Faith inspires the undying conviction that in her, “Father’s house are many mansions” reserved for those who put their trust in Him; and that where she is, there may they be also.  And that enough sorrow may now reign in their hearts, and tears of grief and anguish bedew the grave of their friend, and mother, yet the period will be short--and when they shall have joined her in that pure upper world “Where no lowering clouds obscure the sky,”  their grief and tears will be changed to joy and gladdess; and their happiness he like a peaceful river flowing from an ocean shoreless and unfathomable.  Her funeral was attended on Friday, the 8th inst. by numerous relatives and friends.  All hearts seemed deeply affected by the bereavement of the family, and the irreparable loss to society of one of its most valuable members;--no one could refrain from mourning with the afflicted family.  And while they gathered around to look for the last time upon the remains of their departed friend, it was indeed, “A lecture silent but of sovereign power,” nature spoke in her own language--none were ashamed to weep. An appropriate discourse was delivered by the Rev. S. E. Shepherd, from the 15th chapter of 1st Corinthians; the body having been consigned to the grave, to remain until Death, the last enemy shall be destroyed.  Then in the language of the scripture above mentioned: “This corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.”  May 9th, 1840.  (Wednesday, May 20, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Chapman
Mrs. Chapman alias Mina, who murdered her husband a few years ago in Bucks county and was allowed to escape punishment died recently at Quincy, Florida, where she was traveling with her children as strolling players.  So says the Doylestown Democrat.  She had been a miserable wanderer ever since her acquittal, some six or eight years ago.  (Wednesday, June 3, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. McLean
Near Tallahassee, on the 18th April, nearly a whole family was butchered by the Indians.  Mrs. McLean and her three children were killed.  Mr. McLean was away at the time, and his son escaped after shooting two of the red skins.  (Wednesday, June 3, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

From the St. Augustine News, May 9.  Indian Fight. Capt. Rains, of the 7th Infantry, is in command of Fort King and with the most laudable ambition of doing effective services, has been actively employed in efforts at the destruction of the enemy.  But a short time since, some of his men were killed, as they left the garrison; and he determined on placing shells under cover of a blanket; in the hope their cupidity might induce them to appropriate the articles, and thus fire the fuse, sending death among them.--During the night he heard an explosion and on repairing to the spot in the morning, with eighteen men, he discovered tracks of blood and scattered clothing, as well a pony tracks.  Suddenly he was surrounded by a galling fire, whilst the woods were resounding the war cry of the enemy.  Capt. Rains immediately charged upon the Indians, who took their shelter among trees, and continued the discharge of rifles at his little band.  The fight was kept up with great spirit, until the leader, Alectustenugge, fell; when he was immediately born off and the Indians retreated.  Capt. Rains was mortally wounded by the chief--when the command devolved upon Sergeant Jackson, who behaved in the most gallant manner, and avenged the fall of his captain, by shooting Alectustenugge, after being severely wounded himself.  The loss of the whites was 2 killed and 3 wounded--that of the enemy, 4 killed.  The enemy numbered 93.  We look upon this as the most brilliant affair occurring during the whole war; whether we consider the noble daring of this handful of men in sustaining such an unequal conflict, the loss of the enemy and the gallant and praiseworthy conduct of Sergeant Jackson.  It will lose us probably, Capt. Rains; a man distinguished for his scientific attainments, patriotism and virtue; whose active exertions in Florida, thus early closes a life of great usefulness, and adds another martyr to the calls of duty. Capt. Holmes, 7th Infantry commanding Fort Russel, on the Ocklawaha, a few days since killed one Indian and captured another.  The prisoner was taken to Black Creek.  (Wednesday, June 3, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Col. Solomon B. Isaacs
Murder.--The Jackson Mississippian says--Col. Solomon B. Isaacs, Attorney of the Marshall District, was basely murdered at the Holly Springs by a man named Thomas Westerbrook.  It adds; “in these days strange things are quite common.”  (Wednesday, June 17, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

John G. Kennedy
At his father’s residence, in Philadelphia, on the morning of the 4th inst., John G. Kennedy, in the 22d year of his age. We record the above with feelings of deep sorrow.  The deceased was a young man of much moral worth, whose conduct from early boyhood up, was exemplary in the highest degree.  To a fond mother who doted on him with more than parental fondness, the loss is irreparable.  All who knew him, admired his sterling integrity and unsullied virtue: but none valued his worth more than his early associate and friend. “Sweet peace, and heavenly hope, and humble joy, Divinely beam on his exalted soul.” [Ed E.]  (Wednesday, June 24, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Chauncey Skinner
Execution.--On Monday morning, at 8 o’clock, Chauncey Skinner underwent the extreme sentence of the law, in front of the gaol in this city, for the murder of Henry M’Caul, in Whithby, last fall.  Though much agitated and enfeebled, he pronounced a solemn warning which he repeated more than once, to the crowd of people round the gallows.  He told them he was another among the myriads of the victims of drunkenness, and beseeched all to beware of its direful and deadly influence.--Toronto Guardian.  (Wednesday, July 1, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Alexander Atkinson
Execution--We learn from the Savannah Georgian, that five negroes of the late Mr. Alexander Atkinson, of Camden county, were hung on Monday the 6th inst., at the spot on the plantation of the deceased, where the murder of their late master was committed.  They were buried under the gallows.  A number of persons witnessed the execution.  (Wednesday, July 29, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mrs. Tamer
In Morris Township on Friday the 24th inst., Mrs. Tamer, consort of Sylvester Webster, aged 33 years 8 months and 21 days.  (Wednesday, July 29, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Robert Packard
The Albany Evening Journal in announcing the death of Robert Packard says: The deceased was sixty-six years of age, and sustained during life the character of a highly respectable and honest man.  He was the oldest practical printer in Albany, and for many years superintended the business of printing for the State under the firm name of Packard and Van Benthnysen.  His death will be deeply felt and long regretted by all who knew him.  (Wednesday, August 5, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

King of Prussia
From the London Gazette.  The last hours of the King of Prussia.  The Good Die Happy.  The King, having ordered his bed to be removed into a room the windows of which looked into the court of the palace, heard the murmuring noise of the populace assembled to gain intelligence of his health.  The King inquired what it meant.  On being informed that it arose from the people, anxious to obtain the news of his health, his Majesty replied, “I am glad they think of me, for I have loved them as my children, and have devoted all my endeavors, all my energies, to promote their welfare.”  Talking of the laying of the first stone of the monument of Frederick II, the King said, “It is my desire that this work should be carried on with rapidity and skill.  Therefore I charge M. De Rochow, with its execution.”  M. de Rochow is entirely indebted to the King for his eminent position, and is also highly esteemed by the Prince Royal, who has been attached to him from his earliest youth.  It might be said that his Majesty contemplated in M. de Rochow, who is a statesman of the first order, the future prime minister of his son.  The King directed that his body shall be deposited in the vault at Charlottenburg, by the side of the remains of his Queen Louisa. The funeral of Frederic William has taken place with great pomp; the Emperor of Russia, the Hereditary Grand Duke of Mecklenburg, Prince Frederick of the Netherlands, and more than 20 Princes and Princesses, followed the body to the grave.  The following details will give an idea of the effect produced on the Prussian capital by the death of the King.  Yesterday morning, the 7th, a courier was sent from Berlin by the Empress of Russia with a pressing letter to her husband, informing him that all hope was at an end, and that death was near at hand.  When the interview between the King and his eldest daughter took place, he could only embrace her.  The Empress fell on her knees before the little camp bed, which the King would not quit during his illness.  At the head of the bed was the portrait of Queen Louisa; the King pointed to this with a gesture to his daughter, indicating his hope of speedily joining his deceased wife in Heaven.  The last sacrament was administered by Dr. Eylert the Protestant Bishop.  The King was at this time so weak that he could scarcely speak.  The Princesses were in the adjoining room, and very few persons were allowed to be present at this solemn ceremony.  The Prince de Witgensten, the oldest friend and servant of the King, was in profound grief.--The immediate symptoms of approaching death commenced on the morning of the 7th.  An immense crowd at this time surrounded the palace.  It will be easily conceived, that in an absolute monarchy, governed from the year 1797 by the same King, who, through good and evil fortune, had maintained his popularity, a change of government was a circumstance calculated to produce a sensation.  At about half-past twelve, the Emperor of Russia arrived at full gallop in his little traveling carriage by the Rue Royale, in front of the small palace.  The Emperor immediately jumped out in his traveling dress, followed by one of his aides-de camp.  The people took him for a simple military courier.  In the saloons of the first floor he embraced his wife and relations, and immediately proceeded to the bedside of the dying King, who was become speechless, but recognized his son-in-law.  The Emperor knelt down and kissed the hand of his father-in-law.  The King died without suffering.  At three o’clock in the afternoon there was no longer any sign of breathing, and a small looking glass which was held, before the mouth remained without a mark.  The Prince Royal then closed the eyes of his father, and the Emperor of Russia was the first to salute him as William IV.  The King having died on Whit Sunday, when all the population were moving about, the news of the death spread rapidly.  The mourning is general, and within a few hours even the poorest workmen were seen with crape on their arm.  The new King proceeded at three o’clock in the afternoon to the palace, and appeared upon the balcony.  The act of administering the oath to the Ministers took place almost immediately.  The troops took the oaths over their colours in the barracks.  The Emperor of Russia “will leave immediately after the funeral; the Empress will repose from her fatigues at the Palace of Sana Soci, near Potsdam, and then go the baths of Elms.  The Queen will go shortly to Charlottenhut, where the King will pass part of the summer.  The changes in the Ministry will not be published as immediately, as propriety requires that nothing of this kind should be made public during the period of the mourning.  The Council of State will take the others to-day, and proclamation will also appear.  Do not place any faith in what you may hear as to the words of the Emperor Nicholas and which are said to have been pronounced shortly after the Death of the King.  His grief at the moment was too great for him to make any political allusions, and the words in question were not heard by the most intimate servants of the King.  On leaving the palace, the Prince Royal, now become King, was so affected, that the public were forcibly struck with his appearance.  The new King said to his consort, sister of Louis of Bavaria, “Support me,” Elizabeth for I am now more in want of assistance than ever.”  (Wednesday, August 5, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

A. H. North and Mr. Reuben Nocks
A dreadful accident occurred at Vevay, Ohio on Saturday week, by which two men from Cincinnati, Mr. A. H. North and Mr. Reuben Nocks, were killed by the premature discharge of a cannon.  The cannon belonged to the Invincible Artillery Company of Cincinnati, and was used in firing a salute immediately after the arrival of the company.  Mr. Aaron Valentine, lately a member of the City Council, had his thumb blown off, and Captain Warren was badly wounded by the explosion of a cartridge he held in his hand.  Mr. Nocks was a constable in Cincinnati, and Mr. North belonged to the City Watch.  They have both left families and a collection amounting to nearly $200, was immediately taken up at Vevay, for their benefit.  (Wednesday, August 12, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Jack Sably
From Liberia we learn all was quiet excepting that a Kroom named Jack Sably was hung in May for the murder of John Lithridge, an American boy.  (Wednesday, August 12, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Col. John Thompson
In Philadelphia, on the 31st ult., Col. John Thompson, in the 66 year of his age. Col. Thompson died yesterday morning, after suffering for several weeks under a renewed and aggravated attack of a disorder to which he had long been subject.  We sympathize with his family and connections, and most lastingly hold in affectionate remembrance his personal virtues and public merits.--Pennsylvania.  (Wednesday, August 12, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Jacob Smith
Fatal Accident.  A man by the name of Jacob Smith, was killed, near the Mills of the Hon. James Ford, in this borough on Monday morning last.  He was at work excavating gravel from the bank, near the flouring Mills, when a large quantity of earth, fell up on him from above in such a manner as to cause his death in a short time.  He was a very industrious young man, but we believe left no family to mourn his loss.--Lawrence Sentinel.  (Wednesday, August 26, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

General Hinds
Death of Gen. Hinds.--The Natchez Courier states that General Hinds, who rendered much service to his country at the battle of New Orleans, lately died at his residence in Mississippi from the rupture of a blood vessel.  (Wednesday, September 16, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Hon. S. H. Anderson
Death of a Member of Congress.--The Hon. S. H. Anderson, member of Congress from Kentucky, died at his residence at Garard county, on the eleventh ult. (Wednesday, August 16, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Mr. Rozel Bailey (SRGP 16672)
It is with feelings of deep regret that we announce the death of Mr. Rozel Bailey, one of the earliest and most respectable inhabitants in this county.  As he was returning homewards on the 23d ult. with a two-horse team loaded with heavy iron castings for a saw mill, the horses, in the neighborhood of “Daggett’s Hollow,” ran off, Mr. Bailey, it seems, was sitting upon the wagon when it broke to pieces, and no doubt was dragged a considerable distance before the horses became disengaged from the fragments of the wreck.  The body was taken up a short time after, but the vital spark had fled to Him who gave it.  The remains, on the Monday following, were followed to the grave by a large concourse of citizens, who seemed deeply affected by the melancholy catastrophe, which has taken from our society a worthy member and much beloved neighbor. (Wednesday, November 4, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

George Robert Fitzgerald’s daughter
The Felon’s Daughter.--George Robert Fitzgerald, the Irish Patriot, left a wife and daughter.  His wife adhered faithfully and devotedly to him to the last, and was untiring in her exertions during his trial, supplying information to the lawyers, and seeking out for evidence.  His daughter was an interesting, gentle, but not handsome young lady, of very retired manners, and, as we imagine, of a decided melancholy habit; and yet when we saw her she was not aware of her father’s shameful fate.  She mostly resided at Castle town, the seat of her uncle, and from that most excellent of women, Lady Louisa Conolly, she received the fond attentions that her peculiar position required.  But it so happened that being alone in the library, and looking over the upper shelves, she hit upon the trial of her father; she read it, and never after lifted up her head--but sunk into an early grave--and it was best.  Neither fortune nor high connection, nor all the delicate attentions and fond solicitude of friends could lift her out of her abasement--the felon’s daughter.--Dublin University Magazine.  (Wednesday, November 25, 1840, Tioga Eagle, Wellsborough, Tioga Co, Pa.)

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 02/10/1999 - Altered entirely August - Sept 2006
By Joyce M. Tice

You are the visitor to this page of obituaries since the counter was installed on February 10, 1999