The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Ninety
Millerton Area Clippings obtained from Gertrude CRUM Strunk

Miss Zerl Hoff, whose engagement to John F. Madden of Elmira has been announced by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Hoff of Horseheads RD 2. The marriage will take place in the near future. (handwritten on article June 1938) 

Mr. and Mrs. Rex Gardner of 434 Broadway announce the engagement of their daughter, Donna Elizabeth to Edgar Strunk, son of Mrs. Ruth Kemerer of Towanda, Pa. The bride-elect is employed by the W. T. Grant Co. and the prospective bridegroom is an employee of Thatcher Glass Mfg. Co.The wedding will take place in the future. 

 Mrs. Sarah E. Styres Smith, 80, died Thursday, Aug. 25, 1938, at 8 p.m. in the family home, Sullivan Township, Pa. She is survived by her husband Orrin Alonzo Smith; a daughter Mrs. Jennie L. Hotchkiss, Mainesburg, Pa.; four sons, Weldon L. of Jackson Center; Grant L. and Tracey W. of Mansfield, Pa. ??(can’t read –torn) of South Williamsport; a sister Mrs. Jesse Marsh of Bath; several nieces and nephews. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were married in ?? by the late Rev. E. E. Morris. The funeral at the family home Sunday ?? p.m., the Rev. Homer E. Cole. Mainesburg Cemetery. 
Alanson M. Sheive, 82, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. J. Husted of 213 Franklin Street, Wednesday, Sept. 4, 1935, at 8:30 p.m. Mr. Sheive was a former resident of Jobs Corners but has resided in Elmira during the past 20 years. He was a member of the Seeley Creek IOOF for 50 years and was a past grand and charter member of the organization. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Webster Sheive; three daughters, Mrs. H. A. Husted, Mrs. Helen Mandeville and Mrs. Herbert Jewell, all of Elmira; one granddaughter and several nieces and nephews. The body is in the Hagerman funeral home and will be removed to the home of the daughter this evening. The funeral will be held Saturday, the time to be announced later. 

 Mrs. James Lincoln Dawes, the former Miss Ruth Wilcox of Tenafly, N.J., who was married this afternoon in Englewood, N.J. The bride is the granddaughter of Mrs. H. D. Wilcox of 305 William St., Elmira 
Joel D. Garrison, late of 638 Winsor Avenue. The funeral will be held at the family home Saturday at 1:30 p.m. The Rev. Benjamin Rowe will officiate. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery.(handwritten on article Feb. 11, 1933) 

Edward F. Ruggles, 64, died Tuesday at 9:15 p.m. at the home of C. B. Krise of Mainesburg, Pa. he is survived by his widow, Mrs. Frances Doud Ruggles; a daughter Eloise, at home; a brother, John Ruggles of Sayre, Pa. The funeral will be held at the home of C. B. Krise at Mainesburg, Pa., Friday at 2:30 p.m. Burial in the Gray Valley Cemetery. (handwritten on article Mar. 20, 1934) 
Charles Morse, 70, late of Elmira, died Wednesday morning at 6 o’clock. He is survived by five daughters, Mrs. Earl Gale and Mrs. Walter Roe of Elmira, Mrs. Robert Holland of White Swan, Wash., Mrs. Thomas Bugsher of Daggett, Pa., Mrs. Edward Parish of Oneonta; two sons, Warren of Rutland, Pa., Fred of Elmira. The body is in the Hagerman funeral home. Funeral notice later. (handwritten on article Mar. 21, 1934) 
Rev. Robert Melville Hunsicker, 81, retired Baptist minister, died Saturday, April 29, at 12:30 a.m., at his home, 130 St. George Street, Lewisburg, Pa., after an illness of one year. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Margaret Hayes Hunsicker. A graduate of Bucknell University, class of 1882, he received his Master of Arts in 1885. Rev. Hunsicker was pastor of the Mansfield Baptist church for several years, and it was during his pastorate that the debt, incurred when the church was built, was paid and the mortgage burned. Funeral services were held Monday at 2 p.m. in the First Baptist Church of Lewisburg, with the Rev. James B. Ostergren, pastor, officiating. Interment was made in the Lewisburg Cemetery. (handwritten on article 1935) 

Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Benson of 313 West Henry Street announce the engagement of their youngest daughter, Louise Catherine, to Henry Wich, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wich of 358 West Water Street. The wedding will take place Feb. 21. The couple will make their home in Buffalo. (handwritten on article 1937) 

Mr. and Mrs. Bert Benson of 131 West Henry Street announce the marriage of their daughter, Louise, to Henry Wich, Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wich of 358 West Water Street. The ceremony was performed at noon Sunday, Feb. 21, at the home of the Rev. Allan M. Laird of the First church of Christ, Disciples. The bride wore a rust-colored camel hair suit with matching accessories and a corsage of yellow roses. Her only attendant, Miss Eleanor Miller, of this city, wore a navy blue ensemble and a corsage of gardenias. Floyd Swartz was best man. A wedding breakfast was given at the Norine tea room following the ceremony after which the couple left for Buffalo, where they will make their home. Out of town guests were Leo Wittick of Utica and Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Lichten of Philadelphia. Previous to her marriage, Mrs. Wich was honored by Miss Mary Belle Benson and Mrs. Samuel Lichten. (handwritten on article 1937) 
George W. Bryant, 65, of Webb Mills, succumbed to a heart attack Tuesday afternoon while felling trees in the woods a short distance from the Bird Creek Road. The body was found by his nephew, Mahlon Baker, also of Webb Mills, who became alarmed when Mr. Bryant failed to return at the usual time from his work. Mr. Baker discovered his uncle’s car parked at the side of the Bird Creek Road, later finding the body about 50 yards away. The axe he had been using was buried in the trunk of a tree. Coroner Charles S. Dale pronounced death due to heart failure and said his investigation revealed Mr. Bryant had been afflicted with heart trouble for some time. He set the time of death at about 4 p.m. Tuesday. Surviving Mr. Bryant are his widow, Mrs. Nora Bryant; two sisters, Mrs. Mary Baker, North Chemung, and Mrs. Minnie Hamilton, Millerton, Pa., and several nieces and nephews. (handwritten on article Mar 20, 1934) 
The marriage of Mrs. Susan Hawkes and John Gustin, both well know residents of Gillett, Pa., was solemnized at 2 o’clock Monday afternoon at the home of Tracy T. Everett, 820 West First Street. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. William Lane, pastor of the Westside M. E. Church. Witnesses of the ceremony were Tracy T. Everett and Samuel Pettingill. Mr. and Mrs. Gustin will reside at Gillett. (handwritten on article Apr. 16, 1923) 
 John Newcomb Underwood of 310 ½ W. First St., died Wednesday, mar. 16, 1938, at 10 a.m. after an extended illness. He was a retired painting contractor. Mr. Underwood is survived by his wife, Mrs. Minnie D. Underwood; four sons Thomas C. and Walter of Binghamton, the Rev. George Undewood of Bainbridge, N.Y., and Harry of Washington, D.C. The body is in the Holly funeral home where the funeral will be held Friday at 2 p.m. Rev. John H. Willis. Woodlawn Cemetery. 
Mrs. Sarah E. Longwell died Saturday afternoon at 5:15 o’clock at the family home at Pine City, aged thirty-eight years. She is survived by her husband, William L. Longwell; a daughter, Marie; three sons, Lauren, Richard and Ward; also a baby son, which was born Saturday morning. The funeral was held privately this afternoon at 2:30 ‘clock. Burial was in Woodlawn Cemetery. (handwritten on article Mar 17, 1923) 

David Newell, 18, of 102 Chestnut Street and Kenneth Stone, 16, of 421 Mackey Place, were arrested early this morning by Detective Lynn Brunner on charges of third degree burglary and petit larceny. Police charge they stole a wrist watch from the home of John Kelsey, 329 Broadway, Tuesday afternoon. Their case was adjourned to Apr. 18 upon arraignment before Acting Recorder Harry W.Honan today. (handwritten on article Apr. 12, 1934) 

Frank L. Taber, 43, a resident of Daggett Hollow, formerly of 560 Thompson Street, Elmira, died about 6 o’clock this morning as the result of an accident in the Pennsylvania Railroad yards on the Southside. Mr. Taber was a member of Queen City Lodge I.O.O.F. and the Southside Baptist Church of Elmira. He was highly respected by many friends. Mr. Taber is survived by his widow, Mrs. Ida Bartholomew Taber of Daggett Hollow, Pa.; three sons, Leroy of Rochester; Clifford of Elmira; Franklin of Daggett Hollow, Pa.; a daughter Doris of Daggett Hollow, Pa.; two sisters, Mrs. C. F. Carpenter of Elmira; Mrs. Fra Coats of Binghamton; a brother, Alden Taber of Elmira. The remains repose in the Wilson funeral home. Funeral notice later. (handwritten on article Jan 4, 1927) 
Miss Sarah E. Phillips and Emmet Evenden, both of Horseheads, were married at noon yesterday at the home of Mrs. Maude Evenden, 1551 Caton Avenue, Town Southport. The Rev. W. C. B. Turner officiated. They were attended by Mrs. Maude Evenden and Joseph Combs. The home was neatly decorated in daisies and wood fern and the impressive ring service was used. After a trip to Philadelphia and vicinity Mr. and Mrs. Evenden will be "at home" at 1551 Caton Avenue after July 1. (handwritten on article June 23, 1928) 
Charlotte Ella Gould, 6, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Almond Gould of 510 Fitch Street, died Tuesday morning at 8:30 o’clock. She is survived by the parents; two sisters, Mazie and Helen; a brother, Philander; two grandmothers, Mrs. William Wilcox of Interlaken; Mrs. Philander Gould of Elmira.The funeral will be held at the home Friday at 2 p.m. The Rev. Lillian Chapman will officiate. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery. (handwritten on article Oct. 29, 1929)

 Lauren Thomas, 60 of 209 W. Henry St., formerly of Horseheads, died at 2 p.m. Thursday, July 7, 1938. He leaves his wife, Mrs. Helen Thomas; a brother, William, and a sister, Mrs. Louella Thomas, all of Horseheads. The funeral will be held Sunday at 3 p.m. at the family home. Burial will be in Maple Grove Cemetery, Horseheads. Mr. Thomas was a member of the Horseheads Masonic Lodge, F&AM, and Elmira Lodge of Elks. 
Henry Bucher, 78, died Wednesday morning at the family home at Chambers. He had been ill five years. Mr. Bucher was born at Catlin August 16, 1847. On April 14, 1874, he was married to Martha of the town of Catlin.Two years ago they celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary. Mr. Bucher held the unique distinction of having resided in the same house and on the same farm the past 45 years. He attended the Methodist Episcopal Church of Chambers. Mr. Bucher is survived by his widow, Mrs. Martha Bucher; two daughters, Mrs. Nettie Gould at home and Mrs. Edward Kent of Pine Valley; a son, George W. Bucher of Chambers; four sisters, Mrs. Lucinda Sturdevant and Mrs. Delia Phillips of Catlin, Mrs. James Baker of Dundee and Mrs. Samuel Furman of Elmira; three brothers, Milo of Catlin, Simeon and Laymon of Chambers; four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock, standard time at the home in Chambers. Burial in Beaver Dams Cemetery. (handwritten on article July 14, 1926) 
Joseph Varney was born in Bangor, Maine, on the 24th day of May, 1840, and died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. H. A. Boyce, of Mansfield, on the 6th of October 1925. He was married to Mrs. Clara Hilfiger in 1876 and to them were born six children. He served four years in the Civil War, as a private in Co. M., First Regt of the Maine Cavalry. He is survived by two daughters and three sons; Mrs. H. A. Boyce, Mansfield; Mrs. J. A. Wilcox of East Charleston; John of Buffalo, Arthur of Elmira and Albert of Bradford. 
Peter F. Morrell, 52, died at the family home, 625 Coburn Street, Saturday morning at 10:15 o’clock. He is survived by his widow; son, Earl L. Morrell of Pine City; a brother, Phay of Pine City; father, George J. Morrell, Pine City; two grandchildren, Robert and Virginia Morrell. Funeral services will be conducted at the family home Tuesday at 1 p.m., the Rev. C. A. Guiles of Millerton officiating. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery.(handwritten on article Jan. 1, 1927) 
W. H. Smith, 74, died unexpectedly Sunday morning of a heart seizure at the family home in Millerton, Pa. He is survived by his widow; two sons, Joseph C. and L. V. Smith of Millerton; seven grandchildren, four great-grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Sarah Phillips of Horseheads and Mrs. Joseph Churm of Danville, Pa., and a half brother, Fred Smith of Big Flats. The funeral will be held Wednesday at 1 p.m. at the family home. The Rev. C. R. Knight will officiate. Burial in the Job Corners Cemetery. (handwritten on article August 11, 1929) 
Bruce Rosa, 55, died Wednesday morning at Rochester. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Rosa; two daughters, Mrs. Donald Randall, of Walworth, and Mrs. Willard J. Biddle of Rochester; two sisters, Mrs. May Davis of Elmira and Mrs. James H. Smith of Big Flats; two brothers, Nelson of Rochester and Edward of Elmira, and two grandchildren. Mr. Rosa formerly resided in Elmira and vicinity many years. A prayer service was held at Rochester today at 3 p.m. and the funeral will be held Friday at 2 p.m. at the home of Mrs. James H. Smith at Big Flats. Burial in the Vary Cemetery, on the Ridge Road. (handwritten on article Oct. 20, 1926) 
 Mrs. Belle Daggett Updyke, widow of Charles Updyke of Elmira Heights, died early Thursday, May 28, 1936, at the home of her daughter, Dr. Fannie Updyke Angelicola, at Jackson Summit, Pa. Mrs. Updyke was a native of Daggett, Pa., a daughter of Cornelius and Martha Jane Seeley Daggett. Surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Pearl Thomas of Wellsboro and Doctor Angelicola; a son, Austin H. Updyke; a sister, Mrs. Edith Buell, of Montana; a brother Fred Dagget, of Rushville, and 10 grandchildren. The funeral will be held at the Angelicola home Saturday afternoon. The Rev. Clyde A. Rosekrans of Millerton Methodist Church will officiate. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira. 
Mrs. Hettie Strait, aged 72, died unexpectedly Thursday at 8 p.m., at her home in Sullivan township. Funeral services were held Sunday at 3 p.m., at the home, the Rev. Glen Dewey, of Mainesburg, officiating; interment in the Bakersburg Cemetery. Mrs. Strait is survived by her husband, George Elmer Strait, a daughter, Mrs. Jennie Nepley, at home, and three grandchildren. (handwritten on article Aug. 17, 1933) 
Waverly, July 9—Myron Eaton of North Waverly was arrested last night by Deputy William Dewitt on a charge of assault, third degree, preferred by his wife who declared Eaton had beaten her the previous night. Eaton claimed she did not cook satisfactorily and failed in many of her duties. She stated she had two small children who occupied much of her time and that she was unable to do everything. Arraigned before Police Justice Clarence Springer this morning, the man is being held pending the arrival from Owego of the county agent for dependent children. (handwritten on article 1926) 
Mrs. Nellie A. Roberts Chamberlain, 51, died at 8:30 a.m., Friday, February 28, at her home on South Clinton street, following an illness of eight weeks. The daughter of Byron and Susan Knight Roberts, she was born August 9, 1884, at Wells, Pa., April 25, 1908 she was married to William Chamberlain, who died in 1918. Following her marriage she resided in Elmira, Coryland and Judson Hill and eight years ago came to Mansfield so that her daughter, Ruby, could attend the Mansfield school. A true Christian, kind and considerate of others, Mrs. Chamberlain was loved by all who knew her and made many friends during the years that she lived in Mansfield. She was a member of the Mansfield Methodist church and the Gillett Grange. Surviving are a daughter, Ruby, who teaches at Fassets, two brothers, Charles B. Roberts and Bert Roberts, of Horseheads, N.Y.; a sister Mrs. Harry J. Courtright, 734 Robinson St., Elmira; one nephew and seven nieces. The funeral was conducted Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the home by the Rev. D. W. Baylis. Burial was in Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira. Casket bearers were Emil Schwab, Otis Cooke, Cecil Garrison, Clarence Lawrence, Carl Wilcox and Earl Soper. (handwritten on article 1936) 
Mrs. Lydia Sherman, late of Roseville, died December 1, at Wilkes-Barre, at the age of 85. Born in Plymouth, Pa., the deceased was a daughter of James M. and Jane Nesbitt, of Revolutionary ancestry, and Scotch descent. She was married to Hiram A. Sherman and lived in Rutland for many years. She is survived by four sisters, of Kingston; several nieces and nephews. Mrs. Sherman was a woman of sterling character and highly respected by all who knew her. Funeral was held December 4, interment in Idetown Cemetery. (handwritten on article 1933) 

Wellsboro, Nov. 1—Funeral services for Mrs. Elvira D. Wheeler, 70 widow of George Wheeler, who died at her home in Cherry-flats Saturday of pneumonia, were held Tuesday. The Rev. M. S. Blair, pastor of the Wellsboro Christian Church, officiated. Burial was the in the Cherryflats Cemetery. Surviving are two son, Clyde with whom she made her home, Eugene, of Erie, and a daughter, Mrs. Clayton Elliott, of Potsdam. (handwritten on article Oct. 29, 1929) 

Mrs. Ida Mya Hatfield, a clerk in the store conducted by Fred White at Roseville, Bradford County, Pa., many years, died of pneumonia Wednesday night at 10:20 o’clock at the home of Carlos White at Rutland. [Should be Miss Ida Hatfield (SRGP 18584)] 

Mrs. Angeline S. Knapp died Thursday at 6:45 p.m., at the family home, 578 Thompson Street, aged 73 years. She is survived by her husband, Morris H. Knapp; a daughter, Mrs. J. W. Wright of Elmira; a son William Knapp of Pine City; a daughter Mrs. E. E. Bump of Pine City; a half-brother, Robert F. Jenkins of Yuba City, Cal; eight grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

The funeral will be held at the family home Monday at 2 p.m.. The Rev. Irving J. Shafer will officiate. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery.

Mrs. Knapp was a devoted wife and mother and found much enjoyment in her grandchildren. Although she had been an invalid for the past three years she still remained the patient, cheerful soul that every one knew her to be and always had a smile and kind word for all with whom she came in contact. She was a member of the South Presbyterian Church. (handwritten on article Sept 13, 1927) 


Miss Grace Winifred Sornberger, 40, was killed Wednesday night, September 14, 1938, in a New York City automobile accident. Miss Sornberger was a daughter of the late A. G. and Hattie Shepard Sornberger, and a niece of Miss Nettie Shepard and the late M. H. Shepard, of Mansfield. She was a graduate of the Elmira Free Academy and the Clifton Springs Sanatarium. She followed the profession of nursing in New York. Surviving are two sisters, Miss Mara Sornberger, also a nurse in New York City, and Mrs. Dora Clark, of Danville, Va., and a nephew of Jesse Clark, Jr. The body was taken to her sister’s home in Danville, Va. The Associated Press reported that the car which struck Miss Sornberger as she crossed the street was driven by Thomas G. Scheider, 21. His father, J. Conrad Scheider, a life insurance company official, posted $1000 bail for the driver’s appearance in Homicide Court. 


Mosherville, May 6—Mrs. Emma Hill, 68, died Saturday afternoon, May 4, 1935, at her home on Judson Hill. Surviving are two sons, J. Walter Hill and Judson M. Hill; a brother, John Phillips, of Tower Hill; two sisters, Mrs. Anna Childs of Syracuse and Mrs. Sarah Starks of Newfield, N.Y.; also several nieces and nephews.

The funeral will be conducted Wednesday at 3 p. m. at the home by the Rev. Leonard Basford of the Troy Methodist Church. Burial will be in Troy. 

 Mrs. Mary Seafuse Gamble of 1023 Hoffman Street died Tuesday, Dec. 1, 1936, at 6:40 p.m. She is survived by her husband, Lester M. Gamble, two daughters, Misses Mildred and Jane Messimer; her father Dr. S. M. Seafuse; four sisters, Mrs. H. H. Drake, Mrs. H. P. Carman of Canisteo, Misses Florence and Doris Seafuse. Private funeral in the family home Thursday at 1:30 p.m. Rev. W. H. Willits. Woodlawn Cemetery. Kindly omit flowers. 
 Mrs. Mazie Miller, of Millerton, Pa., died Wednesday night, May 27, 1936, after an extended illness. She is survived by her husband, George M. Miller of Millerton, Pa., a daughter, Mrs. Paul V. Thompson of Washington, D.C.; a son, Leroy at home. Private funeral Monday 2 p.m. at the family home. Mrs. Miller was a member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church of Elmira. The Rev. Theodore Carcich of the Adventist Church and the Rev. Clyde A. Rosekrans of the Millerton M. E. Church will officiate, burial in Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira. 

Beatrice Louise Wright of Rutland and Walter J. Gronawski of Blossburg were married at the Southside Baptist parsonage Saturday afternoon by the Rev. W. V. Allen. The couple will reside in Auburn. (handwritten on article Apr. 7, 1934) 

 John O. Sterling. The funeral was held in the Mosherville Church, Tuesday, Feb. 22, 1038, with a large attendance of relatives and friends. Mrs. Frank Freeman sang his very favorite hymn: "Sweeter As the Years Go By, which he requested. The Rev. George Burroughs officiated. Mr. Sterling was a highly respected by friends and neighbors. He spent the most of his life in Wells Township, Pa.; he taught school when he was younger, and also was a Methodist minister. Mr. Sterling was a member of Wells Union Church at Mosherville, where he had been an active worker many years. Mr. Sterling is survived by his wife, eight children, 20 grandchildren and one great grandchild. 

Dr. Pearle Oakley Crowell, late of 511 West First Street, died Saturday, Dec. 8, 1934 at 3 p.m., after an illness of about six weeks. Mrs. Crowell, daughter of Ida M. and Wallace W. Oakley was born in Bradford County, Pa., Apr. 22, 1876. When she was a child her family came to Elmira. She received her elementary training in the Elmira schools and was later graduated from Mansfield State Teachers College. At one time she was a teacher in School 3. For the past 18 years she has been associated with her husband as a chiropractor. Mrs. Crowell was a member of The Park Church and the Thursday Morning Musicales. She is survived by her husband, Edgar G. Crowell; a daughter, Mrs. Edwin M. Knapp; a grandson Edwin M. Knapp, Jr. of Waverly; a sister, Mrs. John C. Dyott of St. Louis, Mo.; a brother, Leon Oakley of Elmira; a niece, Dorothy Dyott, Calif. The funeral was at 2 p.m. today and was private. The Rev. A. G. Cornwell officiated Interment was in Woodlawn Cemetery. 

 Saturday, September 19, 1931


Faulty brakes are given as the cause of an accident near Austinville, Pa., Friday afternoon which resulted in the death of John N. Pratt, 56, of 116 West Chemung Place. Mr. Pratt was riding in a truck operated by his son, Leon Pratt, 22, of the same address. On a curve at the bottom of a steep hill the driver lost control of the machine and it left the road, striking a tree. The father received a multiple fracture of the skull and he died a few minutes after he was brought to St. Joseph’s Hospital by a passing motorist. The son received lacerations of the head, face and arms. He is a patient at the hospital.

Lost Control on Hill
In a statement to Deputy Sheriff Truman Burnham, the son declared that he and his father went to Austinville Friday for a truck to transport the son’s household goods to the Pennsylvania town. They realized that the brakes were not working properly but believed that the trip could be made with safety. On a steep hill outside of Austinville, the driver was unable to control the speed of his car. At the foot of the hill, the machine left the road, plunged about 30 feet across a field and struck the tree. John Schaller of Austinville brought them to Elmira. Although Mr. Pratt’s home was at 116 West Chemung Place and his family resided there, he had been working for the past several years in Bradford, Pa., and has spent most of his time in that place. 

  Mrs. Stella Merrick Potter, 66, of Middlebury, Pa., died unexpectedly Tuesday, Oct. 25, 1938, at 3 p.m. Mrs. Potter was born in Chatham Township, Pa., May 2, 1872, a daughter of Wheeler and Fannie Merrick. Her mother, who made her home with Mrs. Potter, died two months ago. She was married to Burt Potter Sept. 23, 1891 in Elmira. Nearly all of her life had been passed Middlebury. Mrs. Potter is survived by her husband, Burt Potter; two sisters, Mrs. Kathryn M. Ferris of Little Marsh, Pa.; Mrs. K. D. Mitchell of Elmira; a brother, Otis Merrick of Middlebury; several nieces and nephews. Funeral Friday at 2 o’clock at the Methodist Church at Keeneyville, Pa. Middlebury Union Cemetery at Keeneyville, Pa. 

 Happenings of Sullivan Grange

Oh! Come to our Grange, be it ever so late,

But if we have soup, don’t swallow the plate.

Now, if we have pie, just buckle right in,

For the one that eats fastest will win.

Don’t be discouraged if the prize you don’t get;

Try all the harder, you will get there yet.

Just work out the puzzles in the Elmira Star.

And be ready to tell us just what they are.

Reach in your pocket and fish out a penny,

To pay for the treat, if there should be any. 


Troy—Mr. and Mrs. Charles Luckey celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at their home near East Troy Tuesday, Dec. 31. Mrs. Luckey is the former Miss Effie Hakes, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Simon Hakes of Mansfield.

Present were: Mrs. Lettie Borgeson, Troy; Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Luckey and Mr. and Mrs. Roy Perry, East Troy; Mr. and Mrs. George Luckey and Mrs. Louis Shepard, Mosherville; Mrs. Norman Sweet, Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hakes, Mrs. Eleanor Day, Mrs. Alice Hubbard and Mr. and Mrs. Donald Barden, Mansfield. 

 Athel D. Merrill, 62, of 521 W. First St., died unexpectedly Monday, Jan. 3, 1938, at 9:15 a.m. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Mary G. Merrill; two sons, G. Leonard Merrill of Elmira; W. Kenneth, a student at Northwestern University; a daughter, Mrs. Donald H. Hart of Elmira; a brother, Wesley Merrill of Milwaukee, Wis. Mr. Merrill was identified with the Werdenberg clothing store at W. Water and Main Sts. He was a member of the St. Mary Parish. The body is in the Owen McCarthy funeral home and will be removed to the family home Monday at 7 p.m. Funeral notice later. 
 Henry Oldroyd died at 9:40 a.m. Sunday, July 12, 1936, at the family home, 350 South Main Street. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Frances Oldroyd, a daughter, Mrs. Anna Conneely, at home; two sisters, Mrs. Menzo Avery of Pine City and Mrs. Drick Brewer of Elmira. The body is in the Wilson funeral home where the funeral will be held Wednesday at 2:30 p.m., the Rev. Russell S. Brown officiating. Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery. 

Pastor of the Big Flats Methodist Church, will conduct evangelistic meetings at the Tompkins corners Church beginning Sunday evening. Besides addresses by the Rev. Mr. Crippen, the meetings will feature special music. 


Miss Lorena Ameigh and Leaman R. Smith, both of Gillett, Pa. were married Wednesday afternoon in the manse of the South Presbyterian Church by the Rev. I. J. Shafer. (handwritten on article Dec. 31, 1930) 


Mrs. Stanley L. Longwell, past matron of Twilight Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, Mansfield, as been appointed deputy grand matron of district 12 by the grand matron, Mrs. Emilie Coyne of the Grand Chapter of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Longwell will be installed this evening at the Grand Chapter Session in Philadelphia. 


Corning, April 18—William Rose, of Riverside, has brought an action in city court here to recover $245 from his father-in-law, Aaron Johns for board. Rose claims that his father-in-law owes him for 35 weeks board at $7 a week. Johns claims that he was only at the Rose home part of the time, and during that time he had supplied the family with groceries and meat which more than covered his board bill. 

 Mrs. Della R. Searles of 359 S. Main St, widow of Frank V. Searles, died early Thursday morning, Feb. 3, 1938. She is survived by a daughter, Fannie S. Knapp and a son, Kenneth Searles both of Elmira; four grandsons, Louis Knapp, Paul Knapp and Francis Searles of Elmira; Bernard Searles of Los Angeles, Calif. Mrs. Serales was a member of Centenary ME Church and treasurer of the Sanford Bible class in that Sunday School. She also was a Past Noble Grand of Elmira Rebekah Lodge, IOOF. The body is in the Wilson funeral home, where the funeral will be held Saturday 2 p.m. The Rev. Russell S. Brown. Woodlawn Cemetery. 


Emerson Holton, 74, of 502 Beecher St., is in the Arnot-Ogden Hospital with a face injury received in an unusual accident. Mr. Holton fell while crossing a cornfield Tuesday night and a piece of corn stubble pierced the skin near the top of the nose, emerging beneath the corner of his right eye. The eye was not injured and he was reported in good condition Wednesday.(handwritten on article Sept. 19, 1939)


Inability to Secure a Physician Is Deeply Regretted—Gas Corporation to Dissolve

Elmira Heights, March 5—The death of Mrs. Edith Sparling of 210 West Fifteenth Street occurred Saturday afternoon at 1:30 o’clock of diphtheria. A brief service was conducted by the Rev. A. P. Coman outside the family home Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock. He also officiated at the committal service at Woodlawn Cemetery. No one was allowed to enter the home.

Mr. Sparling did not know she was ill of diphtheria until two hours before she died, when the house was quarantined. It is a regrettable affair as had it been possible to have secured medical attention, even on Friday night the woman’s life probably would have been saved. Every effort was made by several persons to whom the family appealed to secure a physician and 23 calls in all were sent over the telephone for different physicians in Elmira and Elmira Heights before any one could be located to attend her. She died before the remedies administrated by the physician became effective.

The decedent was 35 years old and was highly respected. She is survived at home by her husband, David Sparling; two daughters, Wilma and Iona; one brother, Olen Benson and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Franklin Benson of Blossburg, Pa. (handwritten on article 1923) 


Had Been Failing For Some Time—Confined to Bed Only One Day—Funeral Services Will Be Held Saturday.

Selah Watkins, one of the oldest and best known residents of the vicinity, died at his farm home on the river road at three o’clock this morning of heart failure, following an illness of one day. Mr. Watkins had been failing during the past year, but it was only during the past few days that his condition was considered serious. Mr. Watkins had been identified with the farming industry about Mansfield all his life and had accumulated considerable property. The funeral services will be held Saturday. A complete obituary will be published later. (handwritten on article Sept. 16, 1925) 


In the passing out of Mrs. Robert Strachen, those who knew and loved her feel the loss of a loving mother, a devoted wife and a dear friend; one who lived not for self alone, but for the good that she could do. She was a home-loving woman, always willing to lay self aside for her dear ones. We would not call her back, knowing that she has entered into that home where there are no physical sufferings or heartaches. A beautiful soul has celebrated her new birth into the higher life and there will watch for the coming of her loved ones to join here where there are no unbroken households.

Dear mother, you soul has taken its flight

To that beautiful home where there is no night;

We shall miss your dear face and kind loving care,

But we know that you will be waiting for us over there.

When the Messenger calls to take us o’er

To join our loved ones on the other shore,

We know at the landing your face we will see,

And be reunited through eternity.

Mary Raymond Merchant 


Owosso, Mich.—"That smart little Dewey kid" is back in the old home town, visiting his modest mother and swapping stories with the old timers who knew him long before he became New York’s racket-busting, criminal-chasing district attorney and GOP presidential possibility.

Dewey expects to see "some gentlemen from Indiana, Illinois and Iowa" who "know something about politics". Primarily, however, the visit is just an old home week.

The happiest person, of course, is Mrs. George M. Dewey, who has seen her Tom but a few times since he left Owosso to start practice of law in the big city back in 1925. A widow, she has been living quietly, becoming a bridge expert while she heard about her son’s becoming an expert in his profession.

Mrs. Dewey is as proud of Thomas E. Dewey as any mother could be—but she’s never boasted. Writers can’t get an interview with her; she believes Tom should do all the talking.

Each Sunday she attends services at Christ Episcopal Church where Tom was confirmed, where he later sang in the choir.

Dewey’s old friends haven’t seen Tom in some time. Most of the attorney’s previous visits here have been kept secret. But they remember him, all right. They hung that "smart little kid" tag on him.

Take J. Edwin Ellis, president of a local stove company, for instance. He started a Dewey scrapbook when Tom was appointed assistant federal attorney in New York in 1931. He’s still clipping and pasting; the little book has become a huge volume.

Persistence and persuasiveness are qualities Tom had as a boy, says Mrs. Pearl Pulver, community society editor. She recalls a day when Tom was selling weekly magazines on a house-to-house basis;

"I told him I didn’t want a copy, but he launched into such a sales talk that I had to buy in self defense. When Tom went out, my employer said, ‘Keep your eye on that boy; he’ll amount to something some day.’"

Earl Putnam, a farmer, remembers how Dewey worked on his place in 1918. He paid Tom $20 a month and his board, found that he picked up farm chores quickly despite his "greenness."

Tom took the job partly to condition himself for a post on the high school football team. He didn’t make the team—but he did learn farming.

W. A. Seegmiller is Owosso’s postmaster, a job Tom’s father held at the time of his death 12 years ago. For 26 years, he was the town’s Boy Scout master.

"Tom was one of the brightest boys in the troop," Seegmiller says. "he learned quickly, obeyed orders, and passed ever test. If there had been such a thing as an Eagle Scout in those days, Tom would have been one."

Dewey’s visit here recalls that he originally wanted a musical career. The story is told by Ward Jenks, with whom Dewey toured Europe in an old Ford car in 1925:

"You know, Tom won a scholarship in music while attending the University of Michigan. He went to New York with the idea of preparing for a musical career. Suddenly, however, he decided that all musicians were temperamental, threw music in the ash can, and took up law."

Born here on March 24, 1902, Tom Dewey grew up as an average youngster who never missed a day of school during a 13-year period.

In 1919, he graduated from the city high school. John Nutson, a classmate who now operates a local grocery, says the class voted Tom most likely to succeed.

"He was a determined young man who usually go what he set out to get" thus Nutson explains the ballot. (handwritten on article August 24, 1939) 


Mrs. Alice Bailey Stanley, wife of the Reverend R. DeWitt Stanley, died Thursday, December 19, at the home of her sister at Bloomingsburg, N.Y. where the Rev. and Mrs. Stanley went in October to spend the winter. They had planned to leave next spring if Mrs. Stanley’s health permitted, to reside with their son, Dr. Paul Stanley on the Pacific Coast. The body was taken to Odessa, N.Y. where the funeral was held December 25 at 1 p.m. at the Methodist Church. Interment was in the Stanley family plot at Highland Cemetery, Odessa. Mrs. Stanley had been an invalid for many years. The Rev. Stanley served as pastor of the Mansfield Methodist church for several years and although an invalid Mrs. Stanley made a host of friends outside the church as well as among the members of the church. Mr. Stanley had served as pastor of churches in Central New York Conference for 25 years, but was placed on the retired list at the annual session of the conference in Elmira last October. Besides Mansfield, Rev. Stanley has served as pastor at Burdette, Horseheads, Syracuse, Wolcott, and Dundee. Besides her husband, she is survived by two sons, Dr. Paul Stanley of Santa Paula, Cal., and Edmund, of Boston. Also two sisters, Mrs. Abbie Decker of Bloomingsburg, N.Y., and Miss Minnie Bailey of Washington, D.C., and one brother, W. F. Bailey, of Bloomingsburg.. (handwritten on article 1929) 


Was Prominent Business Man of Elmira for More Than Thirty Years—Took Active Part in Business and Trade Associations.

Andrew F. Werdenberg, a leader in Elmira’s civic and commercial life for more than a quarter of a century, died Thursday afternoon in Miami, Fla. The body will be brought to Elmira for burial in April.

Mr. Werdenberg had been in ill health for more than three years. Injuries received when he was struck by an automobile caused his decline. He received treatment at the Battle Creek, Mich., sanitarium last summer and later returned to Elmira. Mr. Werdenberg, accompanied by Mrs. Werdenberg, motored to Miami, leaving here Nov. 26. Mr. Werdenberg became a patient at a sanitarium there, but his health steadily failed.

The death of Mr. Werdenberg ends a career which was a credit to himself and to the city. He was one of Elmira’s leading merchants for nearly 30 years and interested himself in civic enterprises, despite the multiplicity of his personal interests.

Mr. Werdenberg came to Elmira from Port Jervis about 33 years ago and established a men’s clothing business at West Water and North Main Streets. He conducted the establishment as a personal business until 1903, when he formed a corporation taking in his employees, A.D. Merrill, Arthur H. Burt and M.S. Ciscoe. Later Mr. Burt withdrew from the firm and a partnership composed of Mr. Werdenberg, Mr. Merrill and Mr. Ciscoe was formed. In 1927 Mr. Werdenberg retired from active business, disposing of his interests to Mr. Merrill and B. Frank Burgess, who continue to conduct the store under the name of Werdenberg’s.

Elmira looked upon Mr. Werdenberg as a leader in many of its progressive movements. He was active in the old Board of Trade and it was through his efforts that several of Elmira’s outstanding industries were brought to this community. He continued his interest in this work when the Board of Trade was succeeded by the Chamber of Commerce. He served as president and in other capacities in the Elmira Business Men’s Association.

Mr. Werdenberg was associated with the Chemung Savings and Loan Association for many years as director and was considered an authority on loans. F. M. Howell, president of the loan institution, spoke highly of the service given by Mr. Werdenberg. "Few men were better informed on loans than Mr. Werdenberg.", Mr. Howell said. "He represented our organization at many state conventions of savings and loan associations. He made a special study of loan financing. He was a wonderful help to me and his other associates."

Mr. Werdenberg was a member of The Park Church, of Ivy Lodge, F. and A.M. of the Shrine, the St. Omer’s Commandery, Knights Templar, Elmira Lodge of Elks, the Century Club and other fraternal and civic organizations.

Mrs. Werdenberg is his only immediate survivor. (handwritten on article Jan. 16, 1930) 


The Rev. David Keppel, 92, a former pastor of the First M. E. Church in Elmira, from 1896 to 1900, died Thursday, July 28, 1938, at the family home, 901 Lancaster Ave., Syracuse. The Rev. Dr. Keppel also was pastor of the Montour Falls M. E. Church from 1885 to 1887 and the Mansfield Church from 1888 to 1890. He and Mrs. Keppel observed their 66th wedding anniversary last Apr. 8.

Born in Tullow, Ireland, May 5, 1846, Rev. Dr. Keppel was the son of a member of the official board of the Methodist Church. His maternal grandfather was one of John Wesley’s preachers, and his great-grandfather on the same side was a Methodist.He came to this country with his family in 1864, settling in Utica, where he worked for a time as a mechanic. He studied for the ministry at Cazenovia Seminary, Illinois Wesleyan University and Syracuse University. Joining the Central New York conference under Bishop Jesse Peck, he served pastorates in Clyde, Clifton Springs, Elmira, Mansfield, Cazenovia, Cortland and other places in Central New York.

He retired at the age of 76 years, preaching his farewell address at University Methodist Church in Syracuse on Sept. 28, 1922, at a session of the Central New York conference. Prominent in Masonic societies, the clergyman was one of the oldest Masons in New York State, and was believed to the oldest Mason, in years of membership, in Madison County, where he originally joined. He was awarded a bronze medal emblematic of his years of membership by the Cazenovia Lodge in July, 1937. One of his most prized possessions was a letter he received last year from Cardinal Pacelli, expressing the thanks of Pope Pius XI "for the prayerful good wishes sent him in his illness." Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Mary Curtis Keppel; a son Dr. Frederick D. Keppel of Syracuse; a daughter-in-law, Mrs. Mary Hearne Keppel; a granddaughter Miss Mary Burnham Keppel, and a grandson, David Hearne Keppel of Buffalo. The funeral was to be held Saturday afternoon in the Erwin M. E. Church, Syracuse. Burial in Morningside Cemetery, Syracuse. 


Miss Helen M. Gould of 510 Fitch Street, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Almond Gould and Joseph H. Fatula, son of Henry Fatula of 222 Miller Street, Ithaca, were married this morning at St. Patrick’s church at 6:30 o’clock by the Rev. Leo Schwab. They were attended by Mrs. Dora Fatula McCray and Michael Fatula, sister and cousin of the bridegroom. A wedding breakfast was served at the home of the bride to the immediate friends and relatives. After a wedding trip by motor in central New York, they will be at home at 222 Miller Street, Ithaca. (handwritten on article Jun. 4 1934) 


Comes in flying from the street,

"Where’s mamma?"

Friend or stranger thus he’ll greet;

"Where’s mamma?"

Doesn’t want to say hello,

Home from school or play he’ll go

Straight to what he wants to know;

"Where’s mamma?"

Many times a day he’ll shout,

"Where’s mamma?"

Seems afraid that she’s gone out ,

"Where’s mamma?"

Is his first thought at the door—

She’s the one he’s looking for,

And he questions o’er and o’er,

"Where’s mamma?’

Can’t be happy til he knows

"Where’s mamma?"

So he begs us to disclose,

"Where’s mamma?"

And it often seems to me

As I hear his anxious plea,

That no sweeter phrase can be:

"Where’s mamma?"

Like to hear it day by day,

"Where’s mamma?"

Loveliest phrase that lips can say:

"Where’s mamma?"

And I pray as time shall flow,

And the long years come and go,

That he’ll always want to know;

"Where’s mamma?"

(Copyright, 1921, by Edgar A. Guest) 


Many were saddened to learn of the death of Mrs. Sarah A. Rockwell, which occurred Thursday, October 30, 1924, at the home on Wellsboro Street. The funeral was held from her late home Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock, the Rev. F. P. Simmons officiating.

Mrs. Rockwell, whose maiden name was Sarah Rarick, was born on May 21, 1833. Her parents died when she was very young, and she was adopted by Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Ames. On May 27, 1856, she was married to Levi Rockwell, who died April 13, 1912. To them five children were born, Mrs. Mary Webster and Miss Nellie Rockwell of Mansfield; Mrs. Stella Seads, of Williamsport; Mrs. H. P. Haskins, who died several years ago and a child who died in infancy. Mrs. Rockwell had a strong Christian character and was loved by all who knew her. Although quiet and unassuming, she drew people to her, and many have been helped by her wise counsels. Surely the world has been better by her having lived int. The sympathy of the community goes out to her bereaved family. 


Sayre, Feb. 7—Ivan Sisson, 44, of Millerton, Pa., died at the Robert Packer Hospital at 2:45 p.m. Thursday following an illness of several months’ duration. (handwritten on article 1930) 


Mrs. Eliza J. Mitchell Summoned At 96—Was Widow of Minister—Funeral Services Will Be Saturday.

Troy—Troy’s most venerable and beloved woman, Mrs. Eliza J. Mitchell, died Thursday afternoon at the age of 96. She was the widow of the Rev. Thomas Mitchell, a woman of deep religious convictions and experience.

Death came at the home of her son, Atty. H. Kent Mitchell. All Troy mourned at the news of her passing.

Mrs. Mitchell was born in Troy Aug. 15, 1837, the eldest daughter of James and Melinda Potter Adams. After being graduated from the Troy Academy she became the first teacher of Troy’s graded school while only 18 years of age. She continued in this capacity until her marriage to the Rev. Mr. Mitchell in 1883. She was a devout member of the Baptist Church and was a Sunday School instructor until she was stricken with paralysis several years ago.

The passing of her gentle countenance and cheery personality will leave a deep void in the daily lives of many Trojans. Even those who distantly knew her have not escaped the atmosphere of sadness surrounding her death.

Since the paralytic attack Mrs. Mitchell was confined to her room, but the passage of those idle eight years did not alter her cheery nature and kindly philosophy of life. During those days she manifested unusual interest in the happenings of the day and was never without a daily newspaper. Once every year she read the Bible, measuring the chapters so that by reading an allotted number each day she completed the scriptures in 365 days.

Mrs. Mitchell is survived by two sons, H. Kent Mitchell of Troy and Frank Adams Mitchell of Chicago; four grandchildren, Miss Jeanette R. Mitchell and Henry K. Mitchell, both of Troy, Harold C. Mitchell of Albany and Thomas K. Mitchell of Chicago; two sisters, Mrs. Platte Coonley and Miss Jeanette Adams both of Coxsackie, N.Y.

The funeral will be held at the home Saturday at 2:30 p.m. with the Rev. James H. Carter officiating, assisted by the Rev. Montague White. Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery. 


Mansfield lost another valued citizen yesterday in the death of Theodore F. Rolason, who was stricken with acute indigestion while celebrating his wedding anniversary at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse H. Inscho. He had been seemingly in his usual good health and was around joking with his friends as usual the past few days. He and Mrs. Rolason went to the home of their nephew Jesse H. Inscho, yesterday morning to celebrate the 56th anniversary of their marriage. There was no inkling of his not feeling well until after dinner, when he complained of feeling sick. His death was due to heart failure, caused by acute indigestion, and occurred at 8:30 p.m.

Theordore F. Rolason was born in Beemerville, N.J., August 18, 1845. On February 1, 1871, he was married in Tioga to Ruth Louisa Inscho, daughter of Richard J. and Ruth Inscho. After a brief sojourn in New Jersey, they returned to Tioga in the fall. The following spring Mr. Rolason entered the employ of H. C. Bailey as bookkeeper in his store at the mouth of Painter Run. Later he moved to Stokesdale and worked as clerk for the Leiby Lumber Co., and the following year he moved to Mansfield and bought the Pitts Grocery. He ran this for three years, then bought the Beach Furniture and Undertaking business, then located in the old Methodist Church on Main Street. Later he formed a partnership with H. E. Metcalf, and they built the brick store now owned by Lynn H. Hall. This partnership continued for several years, until Mr. Metcalf sold out. L. B. Shaw bought a partnership in the business, which then became known as Rolason & Shaw, and they continued in the same location until about 1911, when Mr. Shaw took the undertaking business and Mr. Rolason leased the furniture business to A. W. Kear. After a few years he sold the furniture business to Lynn H. Hall, and later sold him the building as well, retiring from business activities after a half century, during which he had risen from clerk to a man of means.

About fifty years ago Mr. Rolason became a member of the First Baptist Church and was one of its devoted and active workers. He was a deacon for 20 years and active in promoting and finishing the present church building. He was also a valued member of the Masonic lodge in Mansfield, having held several offices.

Mr. Roalson was known throughout the county for his scrupulous honesty, his thorough Christianity, and his genial character. Whenever you met him you could count on his bringing you a smile by his facetious remarks. He was a self-made man, and his life shows what can be accomplished by thrift and industry, accompanied by character and optimism.

Besides his widow, he is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Ellen Brownell, of Hornell and Henrietta Rolason of Nyack, N.Y., besides several nieces and nephews.

He and Mrs. Rolason spent the winter a year ago in Florida, in which he had been interested for many years.

The funeral will be held from his late home Thursday at 1 p.m. with burial in Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira. The Rev. D. J. Griffith will be the minister and the Masons will attend in a body. (handwritten on article Feb. 1, 1927) 


Abraham Friendly, a former resident of Elmira, died this morning, Saturday, Mar. 28, 1936, at Los Angeles, Calif. He was born Dec. 30, 1866 at Cuba, N.Y., a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Friendly, who later removed to Elmira. The father conducted a carriage and wagon business on west Water Street, adjoining No. Two Fire Station. The son was associated in the business with the father, which was continued until about 1910, when the family removed to Los Angeles, Calif., to reside. Mr. Friendly was a graduate of the Elmira schools. His mother died in Elmira before the family removed to Los Angeles and the father, Theodore Friendly, died in that city, about a year ago. He is survived by a sister, Mrs. Caroline Fybush; a niece Mrs. Edgar Phillips both of Los Angeles; an uncle, Myer Friendly and two cousins Myer H. and Solomon H. Friendly, all of Elmira. The funeral and burial will be held in Los Angeles. 

 Noble H. Breese, 84, of Seeley Creek, died Sunday, Mar. 6, 1938, after an extended illness. He was a native of Canoe Camp, Pa., and had resided at Seeley Creek 20 years. Mr. Breese is survived by two sons, Colie of Seeley Creek, Elmer of Elmira; seven grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren; a half-brother, William Helm of Elmira. Mrs. Breese died in 1934. Mr. Breese was a member of the First Church of Christ, Disciples, of Elmira and the Seeley Creek Grange. The body is in the Holly Funeral home. Funeral Wednesday, 1:30 p.m., Rev. Charles H. Richards. Covington, Pa., Cemetery. 

Troy, Nov. 19—Bert J. Rockwell, 67, died at his home, Mansfield, RD 4, early today. He is survived by his widow, Flora Marsh Rockwell; one son, Allen B. Rockwell, Wilkes-Barre; also three grandchildren. The funeral will be held at the home Thursday at 2:30 p.m., the Rev. Mr. Griffith, pastor of the Mansfield Baptist Church officiating. Interment will be in the Mainesburg Cemetery. (handwritten on article Nov. 19, 1928) 


Mrs. Hattie Sornberger, 74, died at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Jesse Clark, Danville, Va., Wednesday, Nov. 21, 1934. She is survived by her husband; three daughters, Mrs. Jesse Clark, the Misses Grace and Mara Sornberger of New York City; one grandson Jesse Clark, Jr.; three sisters, Mrs. Nettie Shepard, Mrs. Gates B. Ayers and Mrs. F. I. Smith of Mansfield, Pa. and two brothers, M. H. Shepard of Mansfield and W. D. Shepard of Elmira. 

 Return to Obituary Scrapbook Table of Contents