The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Seventy Seven
Guest Submissions 
-1931-Angie Ackley Browning, wife of B. L. Browning, died Friday afternoon. Funeral services will be held Monday, February 16, at 1:30 at the home at Spring Hill. Burial will be in the Spring Hill Cemetery. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
ALDRICH, E. Warren - Aldrich, Long Erie Conductor, Taken by Death Blossburg- E. Warren Aldrich, retired Erie conductor and one of Blossburg's oldest residents, died Tuesday morning, Jan. 29, 1935, following an extended illness. Born in Tioga, Pa., Dec. 12, 1845, Mr. Aldrich came to Blossburg at the age of 21. He entered the service of the Erie Railroad and retired in 1929 after more than 50 years' service. For 46 years he served as conductor on the coal train between Arnot and Blossburg. Mr. Aldrich was an honor member of Arbon Lodge, IOOF, having been a member more than 68 years. He was also the oldest member of the Odd Fellow order in the State of Pennsylvania. Submitted by Barb Conrad 
(Angier) Mrs. Martha T. Angier died at the residence of her son-in-law, S.N. Blood, in Sayre, Pa., Monday, aged eighty-five years and eight months. The deceased was born in Lunenburg, Vt., September 17, 1798. She resided in Worcester, Mass., for many years, where her husband and six children are buried, and has lived with her daughter in Sayre since 1871. Three children are left, G.M. Angier and Mrs. Blood of Sayre, and P.A. Angier, of Westboro, Mass. "Say not good night, but in that brighter clime, bid her good morning." The remains will be buried at Hope cemetery, in Worcester, Mass.-Elmira Adv.-reprinted in Waverly Free Press-March 21, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
Edward AVERILL, an old gentleman well known in this village, and at one time engaged in the lime business here, died at his home in Chemung, a short distance west of this village, on Tuesday evening, from pneumonia and kidney disease. He was nearly seventy years of age. Waverly Free Press-March 14, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
Russell M. BADGER, an old resident of Elmira, and father of R. M. Badger, of Sayre, died from paralysis on Sunday morning. Waverly Free Press-March 14, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
BAILEY-Mrs. Sabrina C. Bailey, died at six o'clock Thursday evening, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Shriver, Elm street, aged seventy-six years. Services will be held at the house at 9:30 a.m., Saturday, and her remains will be taken to Hammondsport for interment on the 11:10 a.m.train of the D.L.&W. road. Waverly Free Press-Feb. 28, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
BRUNGESS-Robert Brungess, died Tuesday morning, September 6, 1927, at 1:10 o'clock at Robert Packer Hospital at Sayre, Pa, following a short illness with pneumonia, aged 74 years, ten months and two days. He was taken to the hospital, Friday, previous suffering from Asthma. He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Lizzie Frazier Brungess, of Laceyville; one daughter, Mrs. Stanley Young, of Tunkhannock, and three sons, Floyd W. Brungess, Sayre; Raymond R. Brungess, Elmira, and Loren E. Brungess of Rochester, NY, also two sisters, Mrs. Allie Mahoney, of Endicott, NY, and Mrs. Abraham Waltman of Philadelphia. Funeral services were held at the Baptist church, at Laceyville, at 2 p.m., Thursday of this week and interment was made at the Lacey Street cemetery. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
COREY-The funeral of the late Mrs. H. B. Parsons, who died Saturday. of consumption, took place from the home of her parents, corner Pennsylvania avenue and Elm streets at 2 o'clock this afternoon, and was attended by a very large gathering of sorrowing friends. The Rev. S. Moore conducted the services. A trio, composed of H.L. Mullock, C. Mullock, and J.M. Slawson, sang the chants "Come unto Me," and "Go to Thy Rest in Peace." The interment was in the Forest Home. Mrs. Parsons was the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Corey; born and educated in Waverly, where most of her life, until her marriage was spent. She possessed a bright, happy disposition and many accomplishments, which made for her warm and lasting friends wherever she mingled in society. The deceased was twenty-eight years of age. The sorrowing parents and bereaved husband, two little daughters, will have the warmest sympathy of hosts of friends in their great bereavement. Waverly Cor.Elmira Advertiser, March 2-reprinted in Waverly Free Press-March 7, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
(CHAMPION)Mrs. Champion is Victim of Pneumonia-Mrs. Jessie Champion died at the Wilkes-Barre City Hospital, Thursday night, Nov. 10th, 1927, following a weeks illness of pneumonia, at the age of 68 years. Mrs. Champion who was one of Laceyville's most highly esteemed women, was taken to the Wilkes-Barre hospital suffering from a severe attack of pneumonia, probably contracted on the day that Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Vandervort figured in a fatal automobile and train accident at the Elm Cottage Crossing in Laceyville. She entered the hospital on the Saturday previous to her death. Mrs. Champions death comes as a great shock to her family and a great shock to the members of her family and a wide circle of friends. She was a devoted Christian and was loved by all who knew her for her fine character and obliging manner. Her daughter, Mrs. Floyd L. Vandervort, who was at her bedside at the time of her death and before, tenderly cared for her with all possible devotion and tenderness. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
(CHEVALIER)(SMITH) Clara D. C. Smith

MANSFIELD, Pa. - Clara Dulcie Chevalier Smith, 66, of Mansfield, Pa., died Saturday, October 31, 1998 at home. Survivors include two sons, Ralph Chevalier of Tioga, and Lawrence "Larry" Chevalier of Barton, N.Y.; a daughter, Teresa M. Mason of Wellsboro; four sisters, Minerva Longwell of Elmira, N.Y., Shirley Miller of Rochester, N.Y., Caroline Peters of N.Y., Lorraine Welch of Westfield; two brothers, Trustes "Ted" Dapp of Rochester, N.Y., and Charles Attorelli of Denver. Calling hours will be 2-4 p.m. Wednesday at the Scureman Funeral Home,Inc., 130 S. Main St., Mansfield. Funeral Services will be held at the conclusion of calling hours at 4 p.m. Wednesday, the Rev. Clive Ollies officiating. Private burial will be held at the convenience of the family. -- Corning Leader, Nov. 2, 1998 Susan Austin

CRIME of '74: Wellsboro Bank Robbed 75 Years Ago; Leader Caught by Deputy at Waverly By Mary V. Darrin

Wellsboro- Sept 16 will be the 75th anniversary of the most sensational criminal drama ever enacted in the history of Tioga County- the robbing of the First National Bank of Wellsboro by seven professional burglars in 1874, 10 years after the institution's establishment. Accordingly, once again, the incidents of the robbery come to mind. Some of which have not been published before, but which I heard from my father, Charles VanValkenburg, who, as deputy, single-handedly captured Isaac Marsh alias Cosgrove, leader of the burglars and one of the most noted cracksmen of his time. In those days, the First National Bank building- equipped with as good a vault and a safe as could be procured- stood on Main St. opposite the intersection of Charles St., on what now is the property of Mr. and Mrs. George Mathers. The building still stands, but today, it is situated on the corner of Crafton and Pearl Sts., and houses a dry cleaning business. Bank president John L. Robinson his wife; his eldest son and bank cashier, Eugene H., and his daughter, Mrs. Azuba Smith, resided next door, in the house now occupied by the Mathers, which has undergone few changes through the years. It is certain that persons associated with the robbers had visited Wellsboro prior to Sept. 16, had made plans of the bank and the Robinson house, and had acquainted themselves with the personnel of the household and their habits, and that a date originally set for the robbery was postponed because the county court was in session, and too many people were in town. Thus, the burglars were well prepared for their venture, with information and a plan, as well as a compliment of overalls, masks, dark lanterns, jimmies, billies and fetters. The night before the robbery, a Tuesday, members of the band in two wagons left Dank's livery in Elmira and taking what now is Rt. 84, drove to Tioga, arriving around 2 a.m. Wednesday. They remained there at Farr's Hotel until 11 . Then, the robbers moved on leisurely to Middlebury, where they ate supper at Potter's Hotel and rested a while. After dark, they proceeded into Wellsboro and stabled horses in the Episcopal Church sheds on Walnuts St. There, they were met by other members of the party who had reached Wellsboro on the last, southbound evening train. Shortly after midnight, Cosgrove and his men gained entrance to the Robinson home by a kitchen window and, knowing where the occupants slept, divided, two or three going to each room. The household was awakened by the flash of a lantern and the command to make no outcry, lent impetus by a gun held at close range. President Robinson objected, but a billy-tap on the head quieted his protests. He, Mrs. Robinson, Eugene, Mrs. Smith, and a housemaid were forced to dress and were herded into a small bedroom with two doors and one window facing the bank. The men were gagged, and all were blindfolded, manacled, shackled and tied in chairs, save Mrs. Robinson who had a heart ailment and was suf- ( a bit missing) that they did not want to injure anyone, Cosgrove and his men gave stimulants to Mrs. Robinson and allowed her to lie on a bed, confined merely by ropes. Then, they ordered Eugene to accompany them to the bank to work the combination to the vault and safe, and to deliver the contents. Cashier Robinson demurred; but, being told that is was a question of "your money or your life," and recalled that a cashier in Bradford County had been tortured into invalidacy by robbers, and had succumbed only a few months before, he agreed. The burglars took him out the side door into the bank, set him down in front of the vault, and told him to get busy. He set to work, though consuming as much time as possible in the process; and, at length, the doors were opened, and the robbers made their haul- about $35,000 in currency and negotiable securities, $30,000 in negotiable bonds left as special deposits, $10,000 in registered bonds, and $20,000 in non-negotiable securities. The plunder was packed in a tobacco tub, and Eugene was taken back to where the other Robinsons were imprisoned. One of the burglars made a speech. He said that, if any alarm was given before daylight, there would be an explosion to blow up the house and all in it. He said that the building would be under constant watch, and that any attempt at getting out might prove fatal. Then, nailing shut one door of the room on the inside, and locking the other on the outside, the robbers left. As soon as it seemed safe, Mrs. Robinson, bound to the bed but with her hands free, asked Mr. Robinson to hitch his chair toward her. Reaching into his trousers pocket, she got his knife, cut her bonds, and removed gags from the men's mouth. Then, finding a screwdriver which the robbers had forgotten, the men, though their hands were manacled behind their backs, took turns in trying to pry the nails out of the door, and finally succeeded. Eugene made his way to a room over the woodshed, where "Joe" Murry, a colored man employed by the family, was sleeping, and the two clambered over the back fence to the home of Judge Henry W. Williams, next door and gave the alarm. It was then 2:45. The townsfolk were awakened quickly, and men, women and children flocked to the scene of the robbery. Blacksmiths were summoned to remove the irons from the prisoners. However, in the confusion organizing of a pursuit party was delayed; and it was fully 6 before Deputy Sheriff VanValkenburg and his posse set out. Meanwhile, the robbers with the plunder in the two wagons were covering the miles back to Elmira as fast as the horses could go- so fast that, driving for 20 miles beside the only telegraph wire to the to the east, they never thought to stop and cut it! One of the horses wore a circular shoe, and it was easy for VanValkenburg and his men to discern the route which the robbers had taken. A telegram reporting the robbery was sent to Corning and was relayed West. However, for some reason, it was not transmitted east for several hours. The burglars reached Elmira at about 8:30 and scattered. VanValkenburg went on to Waverly, apprehended Cosgrove, and, handcuffed to the leader, drove him in a buggy back to Wellsboro and delivered him to Tioga County for trial. Orson Cook of Elmira, who drove one of the teams, and "Mike" Walsh, another of the crew, also were caught. The three were sentenced to long terms in the Eastern Penitentiary, and Cook died there. Cosgrove served his full term. In the process, he reformed; and, on his release he was baptised and confirmed in Trinity Episcopal Church, Philadelphia. The most interested witness of this ceremony was Judge Williams, who had been president judge of the county court when Cosgrove was convicted, but who had been elevated to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania since that time. Cosgrove became purchasing agent for a large hospital and remained a useful member of society for the rest of his life. (Submitted by Kelley Kimball) 

DETRICK-Mrs. Holdren Died in Hospital-Mrs. Burr Holdren died at the Packer Hospital on Thursday, February 25, aged 26 years. She had been in failing health for several months and a few days before her demise she underwent a surgical operation for the removal of a tumor. Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. T. R. Warnock at the Skinners Eddy M.E. Church on Sunday afternoon and interment was made in the Lacey Street cemetery. Besides her husband, the deceased is survived by two little children, a boy and a girl. Also her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Detrick, of Skinners Eddy, and two brothers, Howard of Waverly, and Bert, of Binghamton. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
DICKINSON, Grant - Middlebury Farmer Dies Trying To Save Valuables in Burning Home (1935 is penciled in) Grant Dickinson, 45-year-old Middlebury farmer, lost his life at 1:30 a. m. Monday when he re-entered his burning home to remove money and valuable papers after he had accompanied his wife to a place of safety. His charred body was not recovered until the flames died down enough to permit entry several hours later. Mr. and Mrs. Dickinson and Albert Baker, a hired man, were aroused by the fire shortly before 1:30. They fled from the house in their night clothing and Dickinson ran across the road to the home of Harold Barnhart to secure help. While neighbors worked to prevent spread of the flames, Dickinson announced he intended to reenter the house to get the valuables from a trunk in his bedroom. He ran in and the neighbors watched with growing fear as the flames mounted and the man did not reappear. The fire was of such intensity that none could enter to try to rescue him. When it was possible to go into the nearly destroyed house, Dickinson was found face down in the bedroom near the trunk he sought to save. It was believed he had moved it a short distance before death struck him down. The cause of death has not been ascribed. He may have been suffocated, it was said, or to have fallen a victim to a heart attack brought on by the excitement and exertion of moving the trunk. The body has been removed to the Evans funeral home at Wellsboro. His wife is his only surviver. Submitted by Barb Conrad 

FEE-Andrew Fee, postmaster at Wyalusing, died from heart disease Tuesday morning, while attending to official duties. Waverly Free Press-March 7, 1885-Stephanie Johnston.

Sylvia A. Age 77, of Las Vegas, NV died Wednesday, October 26, 2005, after a year long battle with cancer. She was born August 23, 1928 in Buffalo, New York. A loving and caring wife, mother and friend, she resided at 1712 West Church Street in Elmira, New York for 46 years prior to moving to Las Vegas where she spent the last 15 years. She is survived by her forever loving husband, Glendon L. Mallette Sr. of Las Vegas, NV; daughter, Cynthia A. Mallette of Las Vegas, NV; daughter, Joanne L. Peele and her husband, Larry of Santa Clarita, CA; son, Timothy R. Mallette and wife, Laurie of Hopewell, VA; son, Kevin C. Mallette of Murphysboro, IL; son, Glendon L. Mallette Jr. and wife, Melanie of Las Vegas, NV; daughter, Marianne M. Melchionne of Las Vegas, NV; brother, Joseph Fialkiewicz Jr. and wife, Rita of Lancaster, NY; brother, Frank Fialkiewicz of Lancaster, NY; brother, Richard Fial and wife, Joan of West Falls, NY; sister, Lucy Rizzo of Woodland Hills, CA; sister, Bernice Leonard and husband, Frank of Elma, NY; sister, Irene Kawaler of Arnold, MO; sister, Judy Stevens of Buffalo, NY; ten grandchildren and dear friends all across the country. A private memorial will be held. God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be, so He put His arms around you and whispered, "come with me." With tearful eyes we watched you suffer and slowly fade away. Although we loved you dearly, we could not make you stay. Your golden heart stopped beating; hard working hands now at rest, God broke our hearts to prove to us, "He only takes the best." Sylvia (MOM), you are forever a part of us, and in our hearts always. While you look over us always feel our hugs and love, until we see you again.

FULLER-Civil War Veteran Former Resident Buried Here-Josiah O. Fuller, a veteran of the Civil War, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Giles Seeley, near Fairdale, at 2 o'clock, Monday morning, July 20th, 1925, aged 83 years. For some time he had been in poor health, owing to the infirmities of old age, and about three weeks ago suffered a stroke of apoplexy which was the immediate cause of his death. Funeral services were held on Wednesday forenoon from the local Baptist church, at 11 o'clock, and interment was made at the Lacey Street cemetery. The deceased was for many years a resident of West Auburn, and about 15 years ago moved to Laceyville, where he continuously resided until a little over six years ago when his wife died. Since that time he has about divided his time with his three daughters, Mrs. W. B. Beaumont, of Laceyville, Mrs. W. N. Elliott, of Camptown; and Mrs. Giles Seeley, of Fairdale, who are the only surviving members of his immediate family. During the Civil War, Mr. Fuller was a member of Company C, 263rd Regt, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was with his Regiment when Fort Fisher, in North Carolina fell into the hands of the Union forces, his Regiment taking a leading part in that memorable battle. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
William F. GEARY, the Northern Central brakeman who lost an arm in Southport a short time ago died from the effects of the injury, Tuesday evening. Elmira Gazette-reprinted in Waverly Free Press- Jan. 16, 1886-Stephanie Johnston 
GORMAN-The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Gorman, of Clark street, died on Friday of last week, and the funeral was held from St. James church on Sunday. Waverly Free Press-Feb. 28, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
TRIBUTE TO CHAS. HARDING The following unsolicited tribute to CHARLES HARDING, a former popular Covington resident, was written by the editor of the Fort Smith Times, Fort Smith, Ark., where Mr. Harding resided from 1917 until his recent death; Car Window musings By J. S. Parks It was with a feeling of deep emotion I attended the funeral services for C. H. Harding at the First Baptist church last Monday afternoon. Charlie Harding and I arrived in Fort Smith about the same time in the early part of the year 1917. Both had in mind the building of respective glass factories. The opening of the Kibler gas field a few months previous was responsible for our appearance in the city. Harding came from West Virginia, I from Oklahoma. It so happened we domiciled at the same hotel. It was there our acquaintanceship started ripening with the years into a strong friendship. Meeting as we frequently did in the dining room, it was but natural that our conversations were confined mostly to the hazards of new business ventures. War activities were rampant, construction materials difficult to obtain, and the trials and tribulations we both experienced were vexatious and exasperating. Mr. Harding carried a master mind for making window glass. He was intimately acquainted with every phase of the manufacturing. The plant he was constructing was the last word so far as the making of hand-blown window glass was concerned. His success as an operator was immediately demonstrated as soon as his plant went into production the latter part of the summer. His weekly payroll became one of the largest of any industry in the city. Several enlargements of the plant followed. Early in 1920 fire destroyed a large unit. It was immediately rebuilt. Mr. Harding recognized early that machine blown glass would soon supplant the hand-made method. Without hesitation he shifted at great expense to the new order. In doing ss he became confronted with certain patent infringements. Harding's genius and inventive mind asserted itself. In no time he had machinery of his own design in operation, vastly superior and of such novel construction as to dispel the efforts of any one to interfere with it. When the slack demand for window glass came later and regular channels stopped buying, Mr. Harding's alertness again came into the picture. He succeeded in establishing a window glazing industry alongside of his factory, which became the largest industry of its kind in the southland, thus affording a ready and handy outlet for the product his plant was producing. With the coming of the depression in 1930 Mr. Harding again demonstrated his keen business foresight. A still newer process for the making of window glass had been developed in France. It was known as the drawn sheet method. It was in the experimental stage and costly to install. Mr. Harding took the chance. This new and modern equipment found lodgment in the big plant out on Midland boulevard and stands today as a monument of his life-long endeavor. Charlie Harding's life was one of right in all the years I knew him. My heart was sorely saddened at his passing. In Forest Park he lies quietly asleep. May the twilight dews fall gently and moisten his turfy bed. Submitted by Barb Conrad 
(Hayes) - Mrs. H. C. Hayes, wife of postmaster Hayes, of Athens, died Tuesday evening, after several weeks' illness. Waverly Free Press-March 31, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
HERRICK - Innie, the little daughter of Hugh T. Herrick, died at 10 o'clock Sunday morning after a brief illness, aged two years and one month. She was in her usual health the day before her demise, and her sudden taking off was a severe and unlooked for sorrow to her parents. Waverly Free Press-March 14, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
(Horton) - Mrs. Lottie Horton, of Horseheads, was killed instantly by Erie No. 6, Thursday evening. She was driving along Railroad avenue in Elmira, when her horse became unmanageable on the approach of the train, and backed the carriage so close to the track that the train struck it, throwing her out and breaking her neck. Another lady was with her but escaped injury. Waverly Free Press-March 14, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
JAYNE-Edward Jayne Passes Away at Laceyville-Edward M. Jayne of Laceyville, departed this life, May 6, 1928?, at the age of 75 years. He was born at Mehoopany, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Jayne and spent his early years on Jayne's Bend. His vocation was farming, to which he devoted all of his time. He united with the Methodist Episcopal church at Mehoopany w hen quite young and was active in that organization when his health permitted. He was married to Miss Lilly Johnson, on June 20, 1877, hence, 50 years was spent together by this worthy couple. On June 20, 1927, they celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary at their home on Lacey Street, and a great number of friends came to pay their respects. To this union, two children were born, may, the wife of John Stroud, a mail agent residing at Cleveland, Ohio, and a son, Samuel, who has been with his parents on the farm and has very kindly and tenderly cared for them in their declining years. Mr. and Mrs. Jayne have been wonderfully blessed in caring for three motherless grandchildren, the children being a great comfort to them for many years. Mr. Jayne was very industrious and honorable, having been a good citizen and will be sadfully missed by all and especially in the home. The vacant chair is a reminder of the loneliness that will come to this bereaved home. He was one of the oldest members of Franklin Lodge F & A M and the order had charge of the services at the grave with Dr. Beaumont as master of ceremonies. The funeral was conducted by Rev. Heller, pastor of the M.E. Church at Skinners Eddy, at the home. He spoke comforting words to the bereaved. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
George KING, one of the oldest and most respected residents of the town of Barton, died at his residence about four miles north of this village on Friday, September 5th, aged seventy-two years. He had been in poor health for several years and was respected by all who knew him. He leaves a wife and seven children. Waverly Free Press-Sept. 13, 1884-Stephanie Johnston 
LACEY-Laceyville, June 10, 1931-Mrs. Emma Williams, a loved and respected citizen of Laceyville, died on June 3rd. Mrs. Williams was born on May 3, 1844, and was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Lacey. On April 6th, 1865, she was married to Napolean Mauselle. They were the parents of three children, Miss Augusta Mauselle and Clifford Mauselle of town who survive their mother and Frederick Mauselle who died some years ago. On November 26, 1876, Napolean Mauselle died. On February 28, 1886, Mrs. Emma Mauselle was united in marriage to Jacob Williams, who died May 20, 1907. Since that time she has lived at the old home on Main Street. She is survived by three brothers as follows: Arthur, Edward and William Lacey of Peoria, ILL. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. C. M. Keen, pastor of the church of which she was a member for a great many years. The out of town people attending the funeral were as follows: J. W. Kasper and daughter, Mrs. J. R. Beaver of West Pittston, Mr. and Mrs. Tracey Burgess of Stowell, Pa, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Possinger, Mrs. Lizzie Sterling and Mrs. Emma Marbaker of West Auburn, Pa, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Smith of Waverly, Mr. and Mrs. Lacey C. Abel, Winfield W. Lacey, Lenna Abel of Binghamton, Mrs. J.R. White, Mr. and Mrs. Edmund Champion of Sayre, Mrs. Agnes Burgess and Mr. and Mrs. Marble Gay of Tunkhannock. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
LACEY-1927-Albert N. Lacey, a well known resident of Laceyville, dropped dead at his home on Lacey Street on Thursday of last week, heart trouble being the cause of his death. Funeral services were held from his home last Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Warnock officiating and interment was made in Lacey Street cemetery. Deceased is survived by three brothers, Worthy and Daniel Lacey of Hazelton and Arthur of Laceyville, and two sisters, Mrs. Lillian Bosworth of Forty Fort, and Mrs. Loie Allis of Wyalusing. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
(Lament) - Minerva M., wife of Lewis Lament, of this village, who had been an invalid for many years, caused by being thrown from a wagon and resulting in spinal disease, from which she had not been able to stand on her feet for four years last Saturday, died at her home on Broad street, on Tuesday, September 9th. She was born at WilkesBarre, Pa., November 28, 1841, and had been a member of the Disciple church for several years. She leaves a husband, one son, and two daughters to mourn her loss. The remains were taken to Granville, Bradford county, Pa., on Thursday for interment, the funeral being held at Granville Centre, and was attended by a large concourse of people from the surrounding country. Waverly Free Press-Sept. 13, 1884-Stephanie Johnston 
LEWIS, Callie (Ridge) Mrs. Callie Lewis Ridge died Saturday evening, October 11, 1935, at her home in Welch Settlement, of Pneumonia. She had not been well for a number of years. She was 79 years of age. She is survived by her husband, John Ridge, two sons, Purley and Lewis, and four grandchildren, one sister, Mrs. Stella Brooks, of Olean, N. Y. The funeral was Wednesday afternoon at the home, and burial in the Cherry Flats Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Ridge formerly lived here, in Blossburg, and in Wellsboro, and have many friends. Submitted by Barb Conrad 
MAGEE Laceyville, May 14, 1926-Mrs. Stewart Magee died at the Packer hospital about five o'clock Tuesday morning, May 10, aged 22 years. Mrs. Magee and her husband had been living in Luzerne the past year or so, where Mr. Magee was employed in the lumber and contracting business by his uncle, J. J. Vanderworker. A few weeks ago, Mrs. Magee came up to visit relatives on Spring Hill and while there was taken very ill by influenza. Four weeks ago she was removed to the Packer hospital, where it was found that spinal meningitis had also developed. That dreaded disease was finally conquered, when heart trouble set in, causing her demise. The decedent is survived by her husband and an infant son, aged about eight or nine months. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Lyon, of Spring Hill and two brothers, William Lyon, who lives with his parents, and Perrin Lyon, of town, also survive. Funeral services were held at the home of the decendent's parents on Thursday afternoon and interment was made in Spring Hill cemetery. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
MILLER-The little three-year-old son of J.H. Miller, of Elmira, was burned to death last Saturday morning. He tipped over a table on which stood a lighted lamp, breaking the lamp and spilling the oil over him which, ignited enveloping him in a sheet of flames. His mother attempted to extinguish the flames, when they communicated to her clothing and she was so badly burned before help arrived. that she died that day. She was a niece of Mrs. C. C. Brooks, of this village. Waverly Free Press-Feb.28, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
NILES, Wilson B. - Funeral Of Wilson Niles The funeral of Wilson B. Niles, held Friday afternoon at his home at Lawrence Corners, was one of the largest attended home funerals ever held in this vicinity. Friends filled the home and stood on the porch and lawn during the service, which was conducted by the Rev. Orey Crippen, of Tioga. The profusion of beautiful floral offerings bore mute tribute to the esteem in which Mr. Niles was held. Mr. Niles was active in civic affairs of his community and held several important offices. He was school director of Rutland township for 18 years, supervisor for six years, and a director of the Tioga County Grange Mutual Fire Insurnace Company and had held various offices in Tioga Valley Grange, of which he was a member for many years. Besides his widow, Mrs. ANNA SMITH NILES, he is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Clarence Brown. Two granddaughters, Mrs. L. D. Jones and Mrs. Arlene McClure, a grandson, Carl Brown; two greatgrandsons, Larry Roe and Bryce Larue Jones, all of Rutland; one sister, Mrs. Lamont Wood, of Elmira; four brothers, Floyd and Nathan Niles, of Mansfield; Ed. Niles, of Newberry, Mich., and Verne Niles, Manistique, Mich., and two half-brothers, Russell Niles, of Lambs Creek, and Samuel Niles, of Elmira. Submitted by Barb Conrad 
PARISH-John Parish-June, 1931-John Parish, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Parish of Herrickville, died yesterday at the Robert Packer Hospital following an extended illness. The funeral services will be held at the Herrickville M. E. Church at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon in charge of the Rev. H. M. Savacool. Burial will be in the East Herrick cemetery with LeRay Lodge, No. 471, F. & A. M. in charge of the services at the grave. The deceased was 28 years of age. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
William PARKIN, father of Mrs. W.H. Noble, of this village, died at his home in Lansing, Tompkins county, on Sunday, March 15, 1885, aged seventy-eight years. He was born in Sunderland, England, and had resided near Ovid for forty years. He leaves an aged wife, three sons and three daughters. Waverly Free Press-March 31, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
PHINNEY-1927-Benjamin D. Phinney an esteemed and highly respected citizen of this place, died at his home on Wednesday, July 6, aged 69 years. Funeral services were held at the Baptist Church on Saturday afternoon and interment was made in the Lacey Street cemetery with Masonic ceremonies, the deceased being a member of Franklin Lodge, F. and A. M. of this place. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
The body of Lucy Probst, of Elmira was found in the old canal basin in that city, on Wednesday morning. It is thought she was insane and wandered to that place, when becoming cold and numb, she fell and perished from the extreme cold. Waverly Free Press-Jan. 16, 1886-Stephanie Johnston 
RANDALL-The funeral of the late Isaac Randall of Sayre, will be held from the M.E. church of that place at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. Mr. Randall was seventy-one years of age. Waverly Free Press-Feb. 28, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
Morris RIDGEWAY, of Sayre, an employee of the Lehigh Valley railroad company, was run over by the cars and instantly killed at Coxton, Sunday night. Waverly Free Press-March 14, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
ROSENCRANCE-Mrs. Charles Tillman Passes Away after Pneumonia Attack-Mrs. Emily Tillman, wife of Charles Tillman, of Sayre, Pa, died on Tuesday afternoon, February 26, 1929, after an attack of pneumonia. Mrs. Tillman was the daughter of Jacob and Matilda Rosencrance and was raised on Indian Hill. Shortly after her marriage, the Tillman's moved to Sayre, where they have since resided. Mrs. Tillman was a highly respected lady and leaves, besides her husband and one daughter, many relatives and friends to mourn her loss. Funeral services will be held at the Tillman home, in Sayre, at 1p.m. on Saturday. Mrs. Tillman was the third from the Rosencrance family to pass away from pneumonia in thirteen days. Her sister, Mrs. Dorlesta Morrow, died February 13, 1929, and her brother Gilbert Rosencrance died on February 20, 1929. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
ROWE-1931-Eliza Jane Rowe, aged three and one half months, died last evening at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Walter L. Rowe in Orwell township. Private funeral services will be held at the home Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
RUGER-Laceyville, Aug. 3, 1931-Miss Jennie Ruger of Laceyville Dies, Miss Jennie Ruger, who resided at the home of her brother, Vernon Ruger, on Edinger Hill, died at the Tioga County General Hospital, Waverly, at 5:30 a.m. today. Funeral services will be held at the home of her brother, Vernon, Wednesday at 3:30. Burial will be in the Lacey Street Cemetery here. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
SCHERMERHORN-1927-William Schermerhorn, age 64 years, died Monday morning from blood poisoning at the Peoples Hospital at Sayre. The funeral was held from the home of his brother Lyman, at Sayre. Rev. Shepson pastor of the Baptist church of Sayre officiating. The body was taken to Laceyville Wednesday morning by undertaker Perley Morse and interment was made in Lacey Street cemetery, Rev. Freeman, pastor of Skinners Eddy Methodist Church having charge at the grave. Deceased is survived by three brothers, Lyman of Sayre, Julius of Arizona, George and Arthur of Laceyville and two sisters, Mrs. George Lacey of Sayre and Mrs. Anna Howard of St. Louis. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
SECHRIST, Abraham LeRoy - Troy - Abraham LeRoy Sechrist, 49, of this place, died at the Veterans' Hospital in New York City last Saturday. Surviving are his wife, MAE PURHEN SECHRIST; two children, Beverly and Eleanor, at home; and the following sisters and brothers: Mrs. Anna Ritter, of Liberty; Mrs. Jenny Henry, of Colorado; Mrs. Ella Alexander, of Liberty; Mrs. John McLaughlin, of Marsh Hill; Mrs. Nina Smith, of Blossburg; Mrs. Iona Lewis, of Elmira; Mrs. Esther Covert, of Hughesville; Henry and Edward Sechrist, of Roaring Branch, and Elmer Sechrist, of Ralston. Submitted by Barb Conrad 
SLUYTER - The father of Alphonso Sluyter, who resides on the farm of Jas. D. Buley, on West Hill, fell dead on Monday, while out in a field. He was in his usual health when he left the house, and the cause of his death is supposed to have been old age, he being about eighty-four years old. His remains were taken to Elmira, on THursday and were buried in the family lot in Woodlawn cemetery. Waverly Free Press-March 211, 1885-Stephanie Johnston. 
SNOVER-1927-The death of Vern Snover occurred at his late home, where he has resided for many years on the road between Skinners Eddy and South Auburn, on Sunday evening, April 24, at about 8 o'clock. He was 50 years of age and has been in poor health for some time. His death removes from that community one of its best citizens. The funeral was held from the late home on Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock and burial was made in Lacey Street cemetery. Submitted by Patty Shumway 

Miss Flora STRAUSE, died at the home of her mother on Broad street, on Wednesday evening of last week, aged twenty-seven years, after an illness of eight weeks from nervous prostration. She was a most exemplary young woman, and her demise has cast a gloom over a large circle of relatives and friends. The funeral was held from the Baptist church at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Rev. S.T. Ford officiating. her mother, two sisters and two brothers, survive her, and have the sympathy of all in their bereavement. Geo. P. Strause, of Titusville, Pa., Frank Strause of Rochelle, Ill., and Mrs. Geo. Barnes and husband of Worcester, Mass., brothers and sister of Flora Strause, were present at her funeral, and spent some days with friends here. Waverly Free Press-Sept. 20. 1884-Stephanie Johnston 
(Sullivan)-The funeral of Mrs. John Sullivan was held from St. James church on Tuesday morning, Rev. J. Brady, officiating. She leaves a husband and two small children to mourn her loss, who have the sympathy of a large circle of friends. Waverly Free Press-March 7, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
(Torrence), Mary - Mrs. Mary Torrence, late of 125 Partridge Street, died Sunday, Nov. 17, 1935, at 1:45 p. m. Survivors are two sons, William and Robert and one daughter, Mary Elizabeth of Elmira; two sisters, Mrs. Harry Espey and Mrs. B. J. Denson of Elmira; two aunts, Miss Matty Trimble and Mrs. George F. Ellis of Elmira, and one niece, Mrs. Gordon Lamb of Elmira. The body is in the Wilson funeral home and will be removed to family home this afternoon. Funeral service in the family home Tuesday at 2:30 p. m. Burial was in Woodlawn Cemetery. Submitted by Barb Conrad 
VANATTA-Peter VanAtta, father of Clarance VanAtta, of this village, died at his residence two miles north of Barton village, on Sunday last. The funeral was held from the M.E. church, Barton, on Tuesday. Waverly Free Press-March 14, 1885-Stephanie Johnston 
WAKELY-Mrs. E. M. Blakeslee, one of our oldest and most highly respected residents, died after a very brief illness at her home here at 1:15 o'clock Saturday morning, July 23, 1927, aged 81 years last September. The deceased had been about her home as usual the day before her death, which was probably caused by a hemorrhage. On Saturday afternoon services were conducted by the Rev. B. E. Brown in the local Baptist church of which the deceased has been a devoted and consistent member for very nearly sixty-two years. Interment was made in the Lacey Street cemetery. Besides her aged husband the deceased is survived by one brother, J. M. Wakely of town and two sisters, Mrs. Jane Bunnell of Springville and Mrs. Sarah Conrad of Elmira Heights. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
WARD-August 2, 1928-G. B. M. Ward of Laceyville Died-Prized Correspondent of the Review Expires Result Stroke. G. B. M. Ward of Laceyville, known by thousands of people not only in Wyoming and Bradford Counties, but along the whole Lehigh Valley system, died in the Packer Hospital at Sayre yesterday morning at 5:20 as the result of a stroke of apoplexy which he suffered Tuesday evening. Up to that time he had been in his usual good health. "Mac", as he was known far and wide, was for many years a telegraph operator for the Lehigh Valley and was stationed at various points at all of which he became well acquainted. At one time also he owned and edited a weekly newspaper at Laceyville which he called the Laceyville Messenger and had in conjunction with it a job printing shop. He had a style of writing all his own and that together with the fact that everyone around the countryside knew him and in turn was known by him, made his paper very readable. It enjoyed a large circulation for some years, but finally Mr. Ward gave it up and became correspondent for several daily and weekly papers, among them The Daily Review, for which he has written for years. He was one of the most prized correspondents of this paper. His sense of humor and manner of writing, weekly turned commonplace incidents into items of interest to people not only in Laceyville, but throughout the entire territory served by The Daily Review. In fact the Laceyville news letter was read regularly by many people who had never seen Laceyville and probably never had any relatives or friends living there. Mr. Ward was a staunch Democrat and was appointed postmaster at Laceyville under the Wilson administration. He served with such satisfaction that he was continued in office for some time after the Republicans came into power. Mr. Ward was a widower, his wife, who was Miss Belle Stephens, a sister of Dr. Edward Stephens, a former well known Sayre physician, having died four years ago. He had been living alone at Laceyville recently. The only survivor is a son, Dr. Edward Ward, of Philadelphia. The funeral will probably be directed by the Masons, but not definite announcement was given for publication last night. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
WARNER-Laceyville, Jan. 24, 1929-this community was shocked and saddened when a telegram came Wednesday morning stating that Elridge Warner of New York City, son of Mr. and Mrs. D. N. Warner, had accidentally shot himself while cleaning a gun. His parents left on the Black Diamond Wednesday afternoon for New York, but a telegram came stating that Mr. Warner had died at 5 p.m. before his parents reached his bedside. Funeral services will be held Saturday. His is survived by his parents, his widow, one grown daughter and one brother, Charles, also of New York City and one sister Mrs. Davis Sinales. Much sympathy is felt for the parents and also for the family and brother and sister. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
WOOTON-1927-George Wooton died Friday afternoon after an illness of some time. Funeral services were conducted in the family home Monday afternoon at 2:30, interment in the family plot in Clapper Hill Cemetery. He was born in England, June 18, 1851, and on January 27, 1872, he married Eliza Wetton. On April 18, 1882, they sailed for America, landing in New York on May 1st. Besides his wife, he is survived by the following children: John A. of Kingsley, George Jr., of Montrose, Thomas H. of Connecticut, Mrs. L. M. Magee, and Mrs. Harry Pickett of Laceyville, Olin H., at home and Harry Place, husband of a daughter, Rose, deceased, of Scranton. Also twenty-one grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Mr. Wooton was a resident of this section for many years and his genial smile will by missed by many. Submitted by Patty Shumway 
YOUMANS, Charlotte (KLOCK) - In the death Sunday morning, April 8, of Mrs. Charlotte Klock, we lost one of our oldest residents and an estimable lady. She fell nine weeks ago and has been confined to the bed since and about a week ago contracted a cold and was too weak to throw it off. She was the daughter of the late John and Sarah Youmans, was born in Richmond township August 14, 1847, attended the old Mansfield Academy, and was married to EDWIN KLOCK in June, 1866, and four children were born to them: Martha (Mrs. W. B. Armington), of Oberlin, Ohio; Charles Klock, of Cleveland, Ohio; Cora Mrs. A. J. Richards), of Covington, and Ed. Klock, of Fort Smith, Ark. They moved from the farm, now the Dean Phelps' place, to Covington fifty-nine years ago, and have always been interested in the helpful things of the town. She was a faithful and active member of the Church of Christ, and was a much loved Sunday school teacher, always having a class. The funeral was held (this) Wednesday afternoon from her late home, the Klock-Richards home, at 2:30 o'clock and burial was in the Grey cemetery. Besides the sons and daughters, she is survived by one step-daughter, Mrs. Ella Johnson, of Towanda, and four grandchildren. She will be greatly missed in the home and by her neighbors and relatives. 
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 12/03/98
By Joyce M. Tice