The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Fifty Eight
  Guest Submissions -Not Alphabetized 
, Mary (LeValley) The funeral of the late Mrs. Mary Barber LeValley was held Thursday afternoonn at 2 o'clock from the Methodist Church, Rev. Rowe, pastor of Hedding Church, of Elmira, officiating. Burial in Gray Cemetery. She is survived by three children, Dr. Kathryn Bonaviez of Denver, Colo.; Harry LeValley of Olean; and Mrs. Ivah Olney of Elmira. Mrs. LeValley was born here October 18, 1850, the daughter of Lorenzo and Catherine Whittaker Barber. Her first husband was Eugene Kinsey and they had one child, Mrs. Bonaviez. Later she married Horace W. LeValley, and three children were born to them, Raymond, the youngest son, was killed in an accident. Mr. LeValley was a glass factory worker and they lived in many factory towns. When he retired from the factory they returned here to live, spending the summers on their farm and the winters in town. After Mr. LeValley's death, about 1924, she passed the winter months in Elmira and Olean. She was a member of the Methodist Church and joined in all its activities. She was a good Christian woman and well liked by all her neighbors. Besides her children she is survived by six grandchildren. The pall bearers were Raymond Olney, Edward LeValley, Mark Osler and William Fletcher. The floral tribute was very nice. (1938 is penciled in) (Barb Conrad) 
(BUSH), Emma L. - Mrs. Emma L. Bush, 85, died at the home of her niece, Mrs. Ethel Bolles at Canton, Pa., Sunday, May 9, 1937. She had been a teacher in public schools for 35 years; spent four years as a missionary to Puerto Rico and at one time was assistant matron at the Cleveland Orphanage. She had also been very active in work of the WCTU. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at the church of Christ in charge of the pastor, the Rev. LaRue Brown with burial in Tioga Point Cemetery at Athens. (Barb Conrad) 
DECLARED SANE - The late F. C. CHAMBERLAIN Elmira- After a jury in the Supreme Court here answered two questions of fact in the negative, Mr. Justice Andrew J. McNaught directed a verdict of favor on Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York Wednesday and closed the $25,000 action brought by Mrs. Edith Chamberlain and the First National Bank in Mansfield. The jury refused to find that Chamberlain was rendered mentally incompetent, or incapable of managing a business for profit before his death in August, 1933. (Barb Conrad) 
CROWE, Rev. John C - WELLSBORO MINISTER KILLED WHEN CAR OVERTURNS The Rev. John C. Crowe, pastor of the Wellsboro Church of Christ, was probably instantly killed at 1:30 p.m. Monday when his car, falling to make a curve, turned over and fell into the creek bed after going over an embankment two miles west of Ogdensburg. He suffered a fractured skull. He was 43 years old and left a wife and three children, Mary, Ira, and Elizabeth, at home, and six brothers and his parents in the West. Rev. Mr. Crowe came to Wellsboro a little over two years ago and was very popular in the community. He served pastorates at Monessen, Scottsdale and Somerset. (Barb Conrad) 

GILGUS, George - WELLSBORO MAN SUICIDE - George Kilgus, aged nearly 79 years, of Wellsboro, took his own life Monday about noon at the garage of his son, William F. Kilgus, 31 Nichols Street, by hanging. Coroner William F. White was called and deemed an inquest unnecessary. He was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, March 25, 1856, and came to this country in 1880. His wife, Mrs. Helen Margraff, died in April, 1930. Six children were born to them, two of whom survive, William F. Kilgus, of Wellsboro, and Mrs. Meta Colby, of Troy, Pa. He is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. Louise Wachter, of Wellsville, N. Y., and Mrs. Mary Knoll, of North Fork, Pa. The funeral will be held this afternoon at 4 o'clock at the Evans Funeral Home, Rev. H St. Clair Hathaway officiating; burial in the Wellsboro cemetery. (Barb Conrad) 
RASMUSSEN, Lerine, Mrs. Newton Heatley - Covington Resident Passes Away The funeral of Mrs. Newton Heatley was held Monday at 3 p. m. from the Church of Christ, the Rev. B. Olson, of Elmira, officiating. Mrs. C. H. Fessler and Mrs. Margaret Richards sang three hymns, accompanied by Mrs. A. J. Richards. Interment was made in Gray Cemetery. Mrs. Lerine Heatley was the daughter of E. Rasmus and Emma Rasmussen and was born in Denmark 56 years ago. When she was six years of age the family came to America and settled at Morris Run. About thirty years ago she married to Newton Heatley and since then has resided in Antrim, Wellsboro and Elmira. She is survived by her husband, one son, Ralph Heatley, of Elmira; her mother, Mrs. Emma Rasmussen, and one sister, Mrs. S. A. Coons, of Covington. Mrs. Heatley had been ill for ten years and the past three years had been a great sufferer. She was a good woman and bore her suffering patiently. (Barb Conrad) 
SPENCER, Kate- Mrs. Fred H. Bemis -Former Canoe Camp Resident Passes Away The subject of this sketch, Mrs. Bemis, was a daughter of Rev. Ichabod Spencer, who preached at the Christian Churches of Covington and Canoe Camp for twenty consecutive years. She is well known by all old residents in this part of the county. She died at Footville, Wis., and the Footville news says: It has often been said that "In the midst of life we are in death," and never, perhaps, was it more fully demonstrated than was the case Sunday afternoon when with scarcely a moments warning, Mrs. Fred H. Bemis was called upon to answer the summons which sooner or later comes to all. Mrs. Bemis had been in poor health for a number of years, but on Sunday was feeling unusually well and had entertained company, her brother and family, from Janesville, having spent a part of the day with them, but had left for their home shortly after 3 p.m. Soon after this Mr. and Mrs. Fellows, Evansville, came to call and it was while chatting merrily with that lady that she was so suddenly stricken with apoplexy, saying only, as she raised her hands, "Oh! my head!" and in a few moments passed into the great beyond, her death taking place at 5:15 o'clock Sunday afternoon, April 10. Miss Kate Spencer was born in Canoe Camp, Pa., Feb. 8, 1860, the daughter of Rev. I. R. and Mrs. Spencer. Here her girlhood days were spent, and here she grew to young womanhood. More than thirty years ago she came to this vicinity with her parents, Rev. Spencer being called to fill the pastorate of the Local Christian Church, and where he made his home until his death, which occurred in 1919. Mrs. Spencer having died six years before this. On Nov. 8, 1905, Miss Spencer was united in marriage with Fred H. Bemis, the event taking place at Coloma, Michigan. For a nember of years they made their home on the old Bemis homestead east of the village. About eight years ago they came to make their home in this village, where she died as previously mentioned. Very early in life she united with the Christian Church, and until her health failed a few years ago, took a most active part in all the social activities of the church. She was a member of the Eastern Star and the King's Daughters. Besides her husband, of her immediate relatives there survives one sister, Miss Daisy Spencer, who has made her home with Mrs. Bemis since the death of the father nearly nine years ago; three brothers, Carrell V. Spencer of Fresno, Cal.; Elmer L. Spencer, Janesville, and Earl M. Spencer, Chicago; four nieces and three nephews, beside other relatives and many friends. Funeral services for Mrs. Bemis are being conducted this afternoon (Wednesday) at 2 o'clock from the home, Rev. Crabb officiating. Interment will be made in the Grove cemetery where her parents, the late Rev. I. R. Spencer and wife, lie buried. The following nephews acted as pallbearers; Leon and Victor Spencer, Clyde Milbrandt, Jervis Bemis, Fred Baldock and Lloyd Louman. (Barb Conrad) 
Byon A. FRANKLIN, 83, of 309 Mt. Zoar St., died at 9 a. m. Sat. Aug. 2, 1941, at the fmaily home after an extended illness. He was a retired carpenter. He is survived by his wife, Luella; three daughters, Mrs. W. E. Belknap of Williamsport, Mrs. Robert Wilkinson of Erin and Mrs. Scott Sheldon of Elmira; three sons, Harry of Detroit, bradley of Montour Falls and George Franklin of Chemung; three grandchildren, and four sisters in Baltimore. The body was removed Sat. from the Holly funeral home to the family home where the funeral will be held Tuesday at 2 p. m. The Rev. Harold STEARNS of Hedding Methodist Church. Burial at Maple Grove Cemetery, Horseheads. Aug. 3, 1941 Prob. Elmira Star-Gazette. Sharron Vossoughi <> 
B. Josephine LOONEY Mrs. B. Josephine LOONEY Fitzgerald of 514 1/2 W. First St. Funeral was held at 8 a. m. Sat. at the home of a duaghter, Mrs. Harry E. Record, 801 W. Water St. and at 9 at St. Patrick's Church. The Rev. Francis Pegnam officiated, assisted by Rev. William J. Brien and the Rev. Hubert Bisky. Pallbearers were Frank Record, Ronald Prechtl, Walter Sullivan, Robert and James Digby and John Heher. Burial in SS. Peter & Paul's Cemetery. Prob. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 3, 1941 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
John J. JANOWSKI of 412 Taylor St. Funeral was held at 8:15 a. m. Sat. at the family home and at 9 at St. Casimir's Church. The Rev. L. J. Szczepanski officiated, assisted by the Rev. Stanley Krolak. Pallbearers were Stanley Wiegle, Casimer Smykowski, Martin and Ignacz Gorzycki and Leon and Stanley Kraszewski. Burial was in SS. Peter & Paul's Cemetery. Prob. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 3, 1941 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Jennie LOUGHER Mrs. Jennie LOUGHER Pitt of 211 Pennsylvania Ave. The body is in the Smith and Fudge funeral home where the funeral will be held today, 2 p. m. Rev. C. Wellington Hardy, Gillett, Pa., Cemetery. Prob. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 3, 1941 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Morgan F. WOODBURN, 57, of Sayre, retired Lehigh Valley engineer, died Friday, Aug. 1, 1941 at the family home, 112 Olive St. Mr. Woodburn was a 32nd degree Mason of the Towanda lodge. He leaves his wife, a daughter, Grace WOODBURN, and a son, Morgan WOODBURN, Jr. all of Sayre, and several nieces and nephews. The funeral will be held at the family home at 2 p. m. today, the Rev. Harold F. Damon of the Sayre Baptist Church officiating. Burial will be in Wysox Cemetery. Prob. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 3, 1941 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Andrew Flag SOUTHERLAND, 23, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry S. Southerland of Hall, died early Friday, Aug. 1, 1941, in the hospital at Petoskey, Mich. He was taken ill while a member of a biological group at a station at Sheboygan, Mich. He was born in Hall and attended Penn Yan Academy for two years, being graduated from Geneva High School. He was a member of the June class at Darmouth College and planned to teach biology at Williams College. Besides his parents, he leaves a sister, Miss Margaret SOUTHERLAND of Hall and his grandfather, A. Flag ROBSON of Penn Yan, president of Baldwin's bank. Prob. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 3, 1941 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Edith NEALE Mrs. Martin Kreuzberger, 64, of Bath, died Friday, Aug. 1, 1941. She was the former Miss Edith NEALE and was born at Troy, NY, later residing at Schenectady before moving to Bath five years ago. She is survived by a daughter Mrs. Harry K. Otto of Bath; two stepdaughters, Mrs. Charles January of Panama, Mrs. Henry Metz of Schenectady; a stepson, Martin of Irvington, NJ and several grandchildren. A prayer service will be held at the Waldo funeral home in Bath today at 7:30 p. m. and the body will be removed Monday to Schenectady for funeral services and burial Tuesday. Prob. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 3, 1941 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Clarence McCONNELL Big Flats April 30, 1910 FIND FARMHAND DEAD IN BED Clarence McCONNELL was found dead in bed at the home of Nathan Miller, just west of Big Flats, about 5 o'clock yesterday morning. Death was due supposedly to heart failure. He had been working on the Miller farm of late. He was about 50 years old. He is survived by a sister, Mrs. Sylvester Zimmer of Big Flats and two brothers. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 30, 1910. Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Peter TUNNELL Galeton, Pa., April 30, 1910 TRAIN SEVERS MAN'S BODY On Thursday evening as the Ansonia train was starting for the roundhouse, Peter TUNNELL was struck by the engine on the crossing in front of the Waldorf Hotel in Galeton, and instantly killed, the train cutting him completely in two. His right arm was cut off at the shoulder, his left arm broken and the body terribly mangled. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 30, 1910. Sharron Vossoughi <> 
(Hawes), Mrs. W. P. HIGHLY ESTEEMED FOR GOOD WORK Mrs. W. P. Hawes Expires after Brief Illness Watkins, - Mrs. W. P. Hawes died at her home, corner of Fourth and Porter Streets, at 1 o'clock this morning after a brief illness. she was 66 years old, had lived in this village the greater part of her life and was highly esteemed for her loving disposition and good works. Surviving is her husband W. P. Hawes and one daughter Mrs. Harry Bennett of Penn Yan. The funeral arangements at this time have not been made. The burial will be in Lodi. Elmira Star-Gazette. Aug. 30, 1910. Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Infant O'SHEA A Little One Dead The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John O'Shea of South Main street died last even. Feb. 8, 1892 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Mat KANE KILLED BY THE CARS A trackwalker of the Erie by the name of Mat KANE was struck and killed by train 12 last evening near Noyes'settlement, Big Flats. Train 33 was going ewest, and after it passed, KANE started to cross the track when he was struck by train 12 which he probably had not seen. He was instantly killed. The train stopped and backed up to see if anything could be done for the unfortunate man. Mr. J. CLATWORTHY of this city, who wa son the train, in running back to see what was the matter, fell into the cattle guard, and cut his lip very severely. He came on to Elmira and was placed in the care of Dr. CHUBBUCK, who rendered what assistance was necessary, making him very comfortable, considering the circumstances. Dailey Advertiser Thursday, Aug. 26, 1875 
(Rising) Mrs. Hester, aged 86 years, a resident of this city, died Wednesday at the home of her niece, Mrs. David Phillips near Addison. Decedent was stricken ill about a week ago, having gone to visit her niece. Mrs. Rising was the widow of the late Charles M. RISING and was well known in Elmira and Addison. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Charles Roff of this city; two nieces, Mrs. Phillips at whose home she died and Mrs. A. E. Soper of Rathbone. The funeral will be held at Campbell tomorrow afternoon at 1Loo o'clock. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Jan. 9, 1915. 
Raymond WETUKEWICZ, age 47 years, died yesterday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the home, 1170 Magee street. He is survived by his wife and four daughters, Clara, Martha, Sophie and Stanislaus, all of this city; also four sons, Stephen, Alexander, Thomas and Imond, all of this city. The funeral will be held at the home Monday morning at 8:15 o'clock and in St. Casimer's church at 9 o'clock. Interment will be in SS. Peter & Paul's Cemetery. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Jan. 9, 1915. 
Charlotte J. PENNY Mrs. Charlotte J. Babcock, widow of Henry L. BABCOCK, died this morning at 4:20 o'clock at th ehome of her son Herbert N. BABCOCK, 700 W. Water street, aged 86 years. She is survived by her son, Herbert N., a daughter, Mrs. Wilbur R. Rutan; four brothers, Norman R. PENNEY of Arcada, NY, Adebert PENNEY of Springville, NY, Chauncey PENNEY of Bradford, Pa. and Curtis PENNEY of Michigan; also a sister, Mrs. Lucy Hopson of Utica. The funeral will be held at the home of H. N. BABCOCK, Monday at 10 a. m. The Rev. A. G. Cornwell of The Park church will officiate and the burial will be in the Caton Center cemetery. Please omit flowers. Elmira Star-Gazette Jan. 8, 1915. 
Elmer DOOLITTLE died last night at 10:45 o'clock at the home of Bennett ROCKWELL, 450 W. Thurston street, aged 60 years. Decedent is survived by his wife, one brother, Amos DOOLITTLE; one granddaughter, Frances Schlick. The funeral will be held at the home of Amos DOOLITTLE, 452 West Thurston street, Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial will be in Maple Grove Cemetery, Horseheads. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Jan. 9, 1915. 
Elmer DOOLITTLE died last night about 10:45 o'clock at the home of Bennett aged 60 years. Mr. DOLITTLE had been in ill health about 4 months and last evening he visited the business part of the city to secure medicine. He returned to his home and a shor titme later died without warning of natural causes. He is survived by a widow, a brother, Mortimer?. The remains were removed to the home of Amos DOOLITTLE, 452 W. Thurston street, where the funeral will be held Monday at 2 p. m. Elmira Star-Gazette Jan. 8, 1915 
John J. LILLIS, for many years the track oiler for the Elmira Water, Light and Railroad Company, died today at 11:30 o'clock at the family home, 803 Magee St., where he had been ill for many weeks. His wife died a short time ago and since that blow fell Mr. LILLIS failed rapidly. John LILLIS had been in the employ of the company for 18 years. He was a favorite with the conductors, motormen and other employs and they tell a great many interesting ancdotes about him. The decedent was a past sachem of St. Tamina Tribe of Red Men, and was devoted to the work of that order as strongly as a man could be. Mr. LILLIS was a steady, hardworking man, thoroughly reliable and his death will occasion general regret. He was the father of a large family, those surviving him being Mrs. William Connelly of Buffalo, Mrs. D. M. Woodard of Utica, Mrs. T. A. Mahoney of Elmira, Miss Elizabeth, Miss Josephine, Miss Harriet and Stephen, all of this city. One brother, Thomas LILLIS of Chicago and one sister, Mrs. Thomas Holmes of Kansas City, also survive. The funeral announcement will be made later. Elmira Star-Gazette Jan. 23, 1911. (John. Lillis was married to Mary Wrightson.) 
Helen POBIAS, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Pobias, died at the home of the parents 315 E. Washington Avenue, yesterday morning. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock from the house and at 8:30 o'clock from St. Cassimers Church. Burial in SS. Peter & Paul's Cemetery. Elmira Star-Gazette Jan. 23, 1911. 
(Kieffe), Mrs. Anna, widow of the late Patrick KEEFE, died this morning at the family residence, 105 W. La France Street. She was born in Ireland and came to this country when a young girl. Since that time she has made her home in Elmira on the southside. She was one of the first members of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church and was always prominent in all church affairs. She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. J. J. Quinn and Mrs. J. O'Neil of Elmira, Mrs. J. R. Kennedy of Galesburg, Ill. and one son John of Lackawanna City. Funeral announcements will be made later. Elmira Star-Gazette Jan. 23, 1911. 
Cora SAGE Miss Cora SAGE, formerly of Elmira, died yesterday at the home of her sister, Mrs. William Amos at Merchantsville, N. J. aged 35 years. She was the eldest daughter of......(the rest is unreadable) Elmira Star-Gazette Jan. 23, 1911. 
(McMahon) Mrs. Catherine The funeral of Mrs. Catherine McMahon was held this morning at 9 o'clock at the home of her sister, Mrs. M. Ryan, 448 Wells St, and at 10 o'clock St. Patrick's Church. The Rev. Father Bloomer officiated. Burial was in SS peter & Paul's Cemetery. The pallbearers were P. J. McMahon, Michael Lineen, D. M. McGrath, Mr. Brady, Mr. Malone, Mr. Danaher. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Feb. 3, 1908 
Charlotte DAYTON Mrs. Charlotte Scott died Sat. afternoon at 5:30 o'clock at the home of her brother, Sinclair DAYTON of 860 East Church St. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. George Hosie of Franklin, Mass., one son, W. C. SCOTT of Sullivanville and a brother, Sinclair DAYTON of this city. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Feb. 3, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
SENCLARE DAYTON The second death to occur within a week in the same home was that of Senclare DAYTON yesterday morning at 1 o'clock at his residence, 860 East Church Street. Mr. DAYTON was 80 years of age. He had suffered a severe shock, which his advanced age and health was unable to withstand, owing to the death of his sister, Mrs. Charlotte F. Scott, whose remains are lying in the Dayton residence ready for burial. The funeral of Mrs. Scott was postponed from yesterday afternoon because of the illness of her brother. A double funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at the late residence in East Church Street at 1:30 o'clock. The Rev. Mr. STANLEY of Horseheads, will officiate and the bodies will be interred side by side in the Dayton vault in Maple Grove Cemetery, Horseheads. Feb. 6, 1908. Sharron Vossoughi <> 
(Carrigan) Mrs. James The funeral of Mrs. James Carrigan will be held Sat. morning at 9 o'clock at the home, 924 Lackawanna Avenue, and at 10 o'clock in St. Cecelias Church. Besides the survivors who were mentioned in yesterday morning's Advertiser, there also survives the following three sisters: Mrs. Bessie Loftus, Mrs. Ann Fisher and Mrs. E. Moran. Burial will be in SS. Peter & Paul's Cemetery. Feb. 6, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Mary WRIGHTSON Mrs. Mary W. Lillis, wife of John J. LILLIS of 803 Magee Street, died at the home yesterday morning at 10 o'clock. Deceased is survived by six daughters: Mrs. William Connelly of Buffalo, Mrs. D. M. Woodward of Utica, Mrs. T. A. Mahoney, Elizabeth, Josephine and Harriet of this city; one son, Stephen LILLIS; her mother, Mrs. Wrightson of Ireland; four sisters, Mrs. James Cahill of this city, Mrs. Julia Macheau, Mrs. M. A. Connelly of Buffalo, and Mrs. John Ganann of Ireland; two brothers, Patrick Wrightson of Worchester, Mass., and James Wrightson of Ireland. The funeral will be held at the home tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock and at 10 o'clock at SS. Peter & Paul's Church. Burial will be in SS. Peter & Paul's Cemetery. Friends are asked to omit flowers. Prob. Elmira Advertiser Feb. 6, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Margaret LILLIS Elmira Advertiser Sept. 18, 1890 The funeral of Mrs. (Prob Miss) Margaret Lillis, whose death was announced in the Advertiser yesterday morning, was held from the residence of Patrick Reidy, 706 Magee St. yesterday morning at 9:30 o'clock and from St. Patrick's Church at 10 o'clock. The pall bearers were: T. Shannon, Martin Shannon, John Rohan, Patrick Lynch, Owen O'Neil and Stephen Collin. A large number of friends attended the last sad rites at the house and church. Mrs. Scanlan of Stafford, Ontario, a sister of the deceased, arrived just in time to go to the church. The interment was at St. Peter and Paul's cemetery. Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Abijah CAMPBELL, an old and well-known resident of Elmira, died at his home near the East hill yesterday. Elmira Advertiser Sept. 18, 1890 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
George CHRISTEN died at 5 o'clock yesterday morning, aged 43 years. He is survived by two brothers - Edward and Joseph CHRISTEN, and one sister - Mrs. Josephine Rundell of this city. He worked for many years for S. B. HUBBELL as an upholsterer. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock in the Woodlawn Chapel. The body is now in Campbell's undertaking rooms. The Rev. Mr. Vieweg will officiate. Burial will be in Woodlawn cemetery. Prob. Elmira Advertiser Feb. 6, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Irene E. NUTTER, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Orin C. NUTTER, died in Horseheads yesterday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, aged ten months. She is survived by her parents and one brother, Paul of Horseheads. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home. The Rev. Mr. Stanley will officiate. Burial will be in Maple Grove Cemetery. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Feb. 3, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Edward J. HUGHES died yesterday morning at 6:40 o'clock at the home 663 College avenue, following an illness of nine days of the grop. Mr. HUGHES was 77 years of age and one of Elmira's best known and highly regarded citizens. He was born in Somerset, England, May 17, 1839, and came to this country in 1852. He soon entered the employment of the Erie Railroad Company with which he was connected for a period of about 50 years. Mr. HUGHES was the foreman of the Erie blacksmith shop in this city and he became known from one end of the railroad to the other on account of his long and faithful service. He retired from the railroad several years ago. Mr. HUGHES is survived by three daughters, Mrs. John G. Reagan and Mrs. James S. Casey of this city and Mrs. M. R. Loonie of Brooklyn; five sons, Henry C. HUGHES, a blacksmith, formerly with the Erie; Edward HUGHES, Jr., proprietor of the cafe at the Lackawanna station; William P. HUGHES, now in the United States Army in the Philippines; Charles F. HUGHES, the well known undertaker of this city and Frank A. Hughes, a plumber, with LeValley, McLeod & Co. Mr. Hughes' wife died in June 1906 and just eight years ago yesterday, John HUGHES, a son of Edward Hughes Jr., was killed by the cars in Waverly. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 9 o'clock at the home and at 10 o'clock in St. Patrick's Church. Burial will be in SS Peter & Paul's Cemetery. It is asked that flowers be omitted. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Feb. 3, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Clarinda CRANDALL Word was received of the death in Ansonia, PA., Sat. of Mrs. Clarinda Foster, sister of George CRANDALL, sr., of Walnut street. The remains were brought to Corning, her home for many years where the funeral was held this aternoon. Burial was in the Post Creek Cemetery in the Crystal City. Until invalided Mrs. Foster was a frequent visitor in this city. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Feb. 3, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Nellie BLODGETT aged 11 years died yesterday morning at 7 o'clock at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Abram Blodgett of 753 Baldwin street. She is survived by her parents, one sister, Hattie BLODGETT. The body will be taken to Gilletts, Pa., for burial. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Feb. 3, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Frank B. DRAKE Word was received by relatives in Elmira yesterday of the sudden death of Frank B. DRAKE in his apartments in "The Powellton" on West Ninety-seventh street, New York City, early yesterday morning. Deceased is survived by his wife, two sons, Ralph B. and Leon A., and a brother in New York City, and by his mother, Mrs. A. J. Drake, and sisters, Mrs. J. D. Callahan and Mrs. J. P. Blades of Elmira. The body will be brought t Elmira for interment Wed. in Woodlawn Cemetery. Funeral announcement later. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Feb. 3, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
George J. TURNER, a well-known Elmiran, died yesterday at 12:15 a. m. at the home, 413 Jefferson street. He is survived by his wife, two sons, William and George and a daughter Margaret. The funeral will be held Tuesday morning at 9 o'clock at the home and at 10 o'clock at St. Mary's Church. Burial will be in SS Peter & Paul's Cemetery. Friends are asked to omit flowers. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Feb. 3, 1908 Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Michael DONAHUE Ex-Railroad Man Dies of Auto Injuries Michael DONAHUE, 72, of 1111 Grand Central Ave., a retired Lackawanna Railroad engineer, died at 4:10 a. m. today at St. Joseph's Hospital of injuries and complications arising from an automobile accident Feb. 12. (1941?) Mr. DONAHUE suffered a skull injury, right leg and right arm fractures, and severe shock the night of Feb. 12 when struck on E. Washington Ave., near Grand Central Ave. by an automobile driven by John R. RAUSCHER of 214 Harmon St. Mr. DONAHUE was crossing Washington Ave. and Mr. RAUSCHER told police he didn't see him until his car was only about five feet from him. Mr. DONAHUE retired from his railroad job in June 1939, after 52 years service. He entered company service in 1887, when he was 18, and became an engineer in 1900. No passenger was ever injured on a train operated by Mr. DONAHUE. Unnamed Elmira newspaper. Sharron Vossoughi <> 
DIED AT THE SOLDIERS' HOME An Aged Elmiran Passes Away Into the Rest of the Better Life Daniel FINN, an aged and respected citizen of Elmira, died at the soldiers' home, at Bath, Friday, Dec. 12th (1890). He was brought Friday night to his home in Elmira, where he met by a circle of mourning friends and relatives. His funeral took place Sunday morning from his home to St. Mary's Church and thence to the Catholic Cemetery. He leaves a wife, three sisters and six children to mourne his loss. He was 51 years of age. His pall bearers were Charles MccDonald, P. T. Reidy, John Cusick, James Wall, John Reidy and Patrick Ryan. Sharron Vossoughi <> 
Lines in Memory of the Late Daniel Finn Gone from out this world of woes, Gone from all care and sorrow, Gone to meet the heavenly judge, Nor will he come on any morrow. Life was yet long for him, But he was not live; He has gone now from the living world, And is numbered with the dead.

If we could have said farewell Before he died, Closed his eyes or soothed his pain, But father, we shall meet again In the realms of peace and love, When all earthly trouble's oo'er, We shall meet in the home above, There to part, no, nevermore.

He has left forever life's tollsome ways, And rest in peace and happiness, No mor sorrow nor any pain, No more troubles he'll ne'er know again, But he's at rest forevermore, In the home of hope and light, On the bright and glorious shore, He is far happier to-night.

Twenty-six years ago this Christmas eve, (as he has often himself said). He was lying waiting for the bugle to sound retreat. With his knapsack for a pillow and the snowbank for his bed.

Elmira Telegram Dec. 21, 1890

Sharron Vossoughi <> 

JENNINGS, Ida Ophelia (McIntosh) Mrs. Ida Ophelia McIntosh, 76, died this morning at 6:15 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry Coveney, 506 Pleasant street. She is survived by the daughter, Mrs. Coveney; three sons, Lewis, of Elmira; Thomas, of Blossburg; Henry, of Mansfield; six grandchildren; a sister, Mrs. Alta Youmans, of Wellsboro. A prayer service will be conducted by the Rev. A. M. Laird at the home of Mrs. Coveney, Thursday at 10:30 a. m. The funeral will be held in the church at Covington at 1 p. m. Burial in the West Covington Cemetery. - Elmira Star-Gazette. Rev. Laird preached the funeral sermon, assisted by Rev. H. L. Mattman and Rev. M. S. Blair, of Wellsboro. Prof. E. E. Marvin, Mrs. R. G. Marcin, and Mrs. John Lewis sang, with Mrs. A. J. Richards as accompanist. Mrs. McIntosh was the widow of the late Andrew McIntosh, who died some thirty years ago. Her maiden name was Miss Ida Jennings, the daughter of the late Jonathan and Caroline Jennings. She was a member of the Covington Church of Christ, and a most exemplary woman, with many friends. (Barb Conrad) 

MARCH, Susan M. - Following an illness of several weeks, Miss Susan M. March died at her home on Waln street last Friday afternoon, where she and her sister, Miss M. Louise March, had made their home for many years. Born in Philadelphia May 4, 1862, the daughter of Charles H. and Anna Marie Lewis March, she came to Wellsboro at an early age and spent the greater portion of her life here. Kindly, sympathetic and helpful in time of trouble, a gret lover of children, Miss March will be missed by a host of friends of all ages. Surviving are a sister, Miss M. Louise March, and a brother, J. George March, former superintendent of schools for Tioga County, and two nieces, Mrs. E. W. Daley, of Bowie, Texas, and Mrs. Melvin D. Dickinson, of Geneva, N. Y. Funeral sercices were held Monday at the home, with the Rev. Orrin G. Cocks, D. D., officiating. Burial in Wellsboro cemetery. (Barb Conrad) 

NEWELL, Harry E. - The funeral of Harry E. Newell, of Wellsboro, who died suddenly at his home on Grant Street Friday, was held at the Evans Funeral Home Saturday afternoon, with interment in Bath, N. Y., as soon as road conditions permit traveling. The Rev. Walter E. Brown, pastor of the Wellsboro Church of Christ, officiated at the services. Following Mr. Brown's remarks, the Mansfield Lodge of Odd Fellows took charge of the service. Mr. Newell, who was 70 years old, was found dead of heart failure. He had been in poor health for more than a year. He was born at Mansfield, where he was educated. His parents were Dr. Perry Newell, a well known Mansfield physician, and Mrs. Rachel Newell. He was married to the former Miss Lydia M. Sayer, also of Mansfield. Mr. and Mrs. Newell made their homes at various times at Mansfield, Westfield and Wellsboro. Mr. Newell had also lived for a time at Addison, where he had been employed. For many years past, the couple had lived in Wellsboro, where Mr. Newell was engaged in the plumber's trade. For many years he was employed in the Reese and Farrer Hardware store and about a year in Strait's Hardware. He became a member of Mansfield Lodge No. 526, I. O. O. F. at the time it was instituted. He was a member of the Wellsboro Church of Christ. Mr. Newell is survived by his widow, Mrs. Lydia S. Newell; an adopted daughter, Madeline, the wife of Edward Stedge, of Elmira Heights; and a number of cousins. (Barb Conrad) 

VANDERHOEF, John G. - MILLPORT FARMER KILLED, WIFE HURT AS TRUCK HITS CAR TRAILER, TAKES FIRE Watkins Glen- John G. Vanderhoef, 65-year-old Millport farmer, died from a skull fracture, Friday at 8 p. m., five minutes after he was snatched from the burning cab of a truck wrecked in a spectacular accident on the Watkins Glen-Geneva Highway five miles north of here. His wife, Mrs. Flora Vanderhoef, 70, is in critical condition in the Shepard Hospital at Montour Falls. Gerald Warner, 32, of Washington, N. J., driver of a five-car transport trailer into which the Vanderhoef's light delivery truck crashed, suffered a left foot injury. The accident occurred in front of the Edwin V. Baker farm. The Vanderhoef truck, southbound, drove against the rear of the automobile carrier, also southbound, which had been halted while Warmer connected a fresh gasoline tank to the feed line. Exonerate Driver Coroner R. O. Baker of Montour Falls and Sergt. J. A. Barry and Trooper William Driscoll of the Watkins Glen State Police detail were called into an all-night investigation. Warner remained over night in a Watkins Glen tourist home awaiting an inquest in the office of District Attorney E. D. Barkman. After the inquest, Coroner Baker declared the tragedy purely accidental and exonerated Warner. "Warner," Coroner Baker remarked, "deserves a lot of credit," and commended the driver for rescuing the Vanderhoefs from the truck cab and sending for help. The Vanderhoefs were returning to Millport from a visit with Mrs. Vanerhoef's daughter, Mrs. Alton (May) Berry near Rock Stream. Warner was en route to New Jersy from Buffalo with five new automobiles. Vanderhoef believed to have been blinded by the lights of a north-bound automobile, drove his truck into the rear of the trailer which had been halted partly off the highway. The truck's radiator plowed under a steel beam at the rear of the trailer, driving back the truck's motor to the floor boards and shearing off the windshield. An instant later the truck with its occupants helpless in the wrecked cab, took fire. Warner pulled Mr. and Mrs. Vanderhoef from the flaming truck and ----- Describes Rescue At the Shepard Hospital where he went for treatment for his foot, Mr. Warner described the accident as "tragic and horrible." "I had stopped to switch over the gasoline," he said. "There wasn't a car in sight for I looked in my mirror and I couldn't see a sign of an approaching car. I started switching the tanks, only a slight operation. Then came the crash. "I crawled out to see what had happened. The light truck was all aflame. I ran back and attempted to get Mrs. Vanderhoef out of the wreck. She protested saying "Get him out, get him out." But I dragged her to the side of the road. "Then I ran around to the other side. The door of the car had jammed. I managed to get my arms under Mr. Vanderhoef's armpits. Then came a puff. It must have been the gas tank blowing up. His feet seemed to be wedged inside the cab. Finally I got him out. His overalls were on fire." Mr. Warner said that Mr. Vanderhoef was alive when he took him from the flaming vehicle. He lived five minutes after being removed, Warner said. Refuses Assistance Warner said he asked one motorist to assist him in removing Mrs. Vanderhoef to a hospital. The driver, he said, replied that he was "a stranger in these parts and didn't know what to do." Finally he asked an unidentified motorist to call the State Police and an ambulance. The C. N. Cole ambulance driven by Ward Green responded. At the hospital Mrs. Vanderhoef was treated by Dr. William C. Stewart and Dr. R. O. Baker for second degree burns, a fractured right leg and multiple bruises and cuts. She has not been told of her husband's death. In addition to the skull fracture which cost his life, Mr. Vanderhoef suffered an arm fracture and extensive cuts and bruises. Member of Grange Mr. Vanderhoef, a life-long resident of the Milport section, lived on a farm on Roloson Hill, two miles west of Millport. He and Mrs. Vanderhoef were married about two years. He attended the Millport Methodist Church and was a member of the Moreland Grange. Mr. Vanderhoef is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Harry Shaffer, 9 Virginia Avenue, Elmira Heights and Mrs. Frederick Sprague, Roscoe, N. Y.; a son, Irving Vanderhoef, Montour Falls RD 2; step-daughter, Mrs. May Berry, Rock Stream, three grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. (Barb Conrad) 
Wellsboro Gazette March 24, 1949

FREDERICK MILLER submitted by Kelly (Wilcox) Kimball

Frederick Miller, 87, of Jeanette, Pa., died early yesterday morning at the Blossburg State Hospital where he was taken six days ago. He was a former resident of Wellsboro, where he was a glass cutter in the old window glass factory and where he and his family were a part of the community life. Surviving are three daughters: Mrs. Martha Wilcox, of Wellsboro; Mrs. Ivan Aldridge, of Ozone Park, L.I.; and Mrs. Walter Sherwood of Boydton, Va.; one son, Fred Miller, of Wellsboro; ten grandchildren and six great grandchildren. Funeral services will be held at St. Peter's Catholic Church Saturday morning at 10 o'clock with Rev. Arthur MacAndrews officiating. Burial in the Catholic Cemetery. The body will be at the Johnson & Tussey Funeral Home until Saturday. 

Wellsboro Gazette March 24, 1949

GREEN - MRS. MINNIE LOOP submitted by Kelly (Wilcox) Kimball

Mrs. Minnie Loop, aged 74 years, died March 16. She was a daughter of John and Rosabelle Brake Green. She is survived by two daughters: Mrs. William Moore, of Morris and Mrs. Hazel Wages, of Jacksonville, Fla.; a son, John, of Mima, Okla.; two brothers, Lawrence Green of DuBois and Charles, of Bolivar, N. Y.; a sister, Mrs. Charles Bennett, of Greenburg, Pa.; 17 grandchildren, nine great grandchildren. Funeral services were held Sunday at the Johnson & Tussey Funeral Home, burial in the Wellsboro Cemetery. 

Wellsboro Gazette March 24, 1949

GEORGE C. VALENTINE submitted by Kelly (Wilcox) Kimball

George Chester Valentine, aged 89 years, died early last Saturday at the home of Mrs. Florence Roberts on West Water street, where he resided. He was born Dec. 15, 1859, in Delmar, son of Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Valentine. Surviving are one son, Robert J. Valentine; one brother, William Valentine, of Wellsboro; thrree grandchildren. Funeral services were Monday at the Johnson and Tussey Funeral Home. Rev. C. W. Sheriff officiating; burial in the Wellsboro Cemetery. 

Wellsboro Gazette June 11, 1953

ROY WHITTAKER submitted by Kelly (WIlcox) Kimball

Roy Whitaker, 48, died at his home in Covington last Friday following a long illness. He was a past president of the Tioga County Artificial Breeders Association. He was a prominent farmer and held many offices with farm organizations. He is survived by his wife, Mrs. Carolyn Whittaker, sons Gary Whittaker, with the US Army at Fort Lewis, Wash. and Dale, at home; daughters the Misses Karen and Ruth Whittaker, both at home; brothers Ralph and Claude Whittaker, of Covington; Wayne Whittaker, of Mansfield, and Earl Cook, of California; sisters Mrs. Lillian Sesler, of Westfield; Mrs. Ralph Fast, of Corning; Mrs. Ross Bailey and Mrs. Carrie Strong, of Mansfield; Mrs. Sidney Connelly, of Covington and Mrs. Dillard Stewart, of Breesport. Funeral services were held on Monday at the Shaw & Robena Funeral Home in Mansfield, with burial in Whittaker cemetery, Richmond township. 

Wellsboro Gazette June 11, 1953

FRED L. WILCOX submitted by Kelly (Wilcox) Kimball

Fred L. Wilcox, of Oxford, N. Y., died at the Chenango County Memorial Hospital in Norwich, N. Y. on May 11 following a major operation. He was born at West Branch in Delmar township on August 10, 1888, the son of Simon G. and Nettie E. Wilcox. At an early age he went into New York State, secured employment and remained there. He married Bertha Webb, of Lyons, N.Y. After their marriage he engaged in farming on her father's farm where he remained until his death. He is survived by his wife; three daughters, Mrs. John Scarscella and Mrs. Herbert Tiffany, of Norwich, and Mrs. Herbert Stafford, of Oxford; seven grandchildren; one brother, Horace B. Wilcox, of Oxford; and four sisters, Mrs. Grant Gleason, of Berlin Md.; Mrs. Edward Smith, of Williamsport; his twin sister, Mrs. Merve VanVliet, and Mrs. Fred Callahan, both of Wellsboro, R. D. 5. He is also survived by an uncle, William D. Wilcox, of Wellsboro, R. D. He was a beloved and highly respected citizen in the community in which he lived and leaves a wide circle of friends to mourn his loss. He was a member of the Oxford Baptist Church. Funeral services were held at the Seymour Funeral Home, Rev. Andrew Anderson officiating. Burial in the Riverside Cemetery. 

Wellsboro Gazette June 11, 1953

MOORE - MRS. MINNIE HOWE submitted by Kelly (Wilcox) Kimball

Mrs. Minnie Moore Howe, of Tioga, died last Friday, June 5, following an extended illness. Mrs. Howe was a member of the Tioga Baptist Church. She is survived by three sons, Ross and Elmer, both of Tioga; Roy, of Knoxville; four daughters, Mrs. Alta Cummings, Mrs. Leona Adriance and Mrs. Irene Miller, all of Tioga; Mrs. Doris Stedge, of Elkland; two sisters, Mrs. Florence Lobdell and Mrs. Emma Cummings, both of Bradford, N. Y.; 28 grandchildren and 32 great grandchildren. Rev. David Burrows and Rev. Orey Crippen officiated at funeral services held Tuesday, with burial in Evergreen cemetery. 

PAUL -Our community Wednesday night was startled with the announcement of the sudden death of Alexander Paul, of Athens township. The deceased was in our village Wednesday last; it was his birthday;; he had left town, expecting to visit his son, James Paul, at Waverly, N.Y. and his daughter Mrs. Wesley, at Milltown. For some reason unknown, he changed his mind and returned home that evening. He retired early and soon after-about half past eight, he gasped for breath, his wife asked him what ailed him, he made no reply but gasped again and was dead. His children at Waverly and Milltown were informed at once and hastened home. Mr. Paul was one of our best citizens and respeded by all who knew him. Stephanie Johnston Waverly Free Press-August 8, 1885 
(Delany) Mrs. Moses Delany, one of Waverly's oldest and most respected residents, died at her home at the corner of Park avenue and Howard street, on Wednesday evening August 5th, 1885, aged 87 years. She had resided in this village many years, and was beloved by a large circle of relatives and friends for her many womanly virtues and Christian character. She leaves five children, viz: Mrs. Clara Keltz, of Middletown, N.Y., Mrs. John Sparling, of Nebraska, Mrs.Sophia Follett of Waverly, James Delany, of Canisteo, and D.C. Delany of Waverly, to mourn her departure. The funeral was held from her late residence at three o'clock, Friday afternoon. Submitted by Stephanie Waverly Free Press-August 8, 1885 
Dr. T.S. UpdeGraff, of Elmira, one of the most widely known surgeons of Southern New York, died at his home in that city at noon on Monday. He had been in poor health for several months from Bright's disease. He was born in Harrisburg, Pa., in 1839, and when the war began, organized a company which belonged to the 26th Illinois volunteers, and of which he was captain and surgeon during the war. He was medical director of the Southern Tier Masonic Relief Association at the time of his death, and a mason of high standing. Submitted by Stephanie Johnston Waverly Free Press-August 8, 1885 
Edward C. Herrick, of Athens, Pa., father of Hugh T. Herrick, of this village, died on Tuesday evening, November 18, 1884, after an illness of three years. He was born in Athens, June, 1814, and had resided there the most of his life. The funeral was held on Thursday afternoon from the residence, and his remains were interred in Tioga Point cemetery. Submitted by Stephanie Johnston Waverly Free Press- November 22, 1884 
George W. Wilkinson, whose serious illness we noticed last week, died at his residence on Broad street, on Sunday morning, last, aged fifty-six years. He was a soldier during the late war, and lost a leg in the service. The funeral was held from his late residence, at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon, Rev. J.L. Taylor, officiating, and was largely attended. walter C. Hull Post, 461 G.A.R., of which Mr. Wilkinson was a worthy member, turned out in large numbers. The interment was in the Forest Home cemetery and the solemn and impressive burial service of the Grand Army of the Republic was conducted by Commander Geo. B. Morgan, and a salute was fired in honor to their fallen comrade. He leaves a wife but no children. Submitted by Stephanie Johnston Waverly Free Press-August 29, 1885 
(Casterline) Mrs. Rebecca Casterline, died at her home in East Waverly, on Sunday, August 23d, aged seventy-four years. The funeral was held from her late residence at 10 a.m.Tuesday, Rev. Marvin Vail officiating. The interment was in Forest Home cemetery. Submitted by Stephanie Johnston Waverly Free Press-August 29, 1885 
Death of Hiram Morgan Hiram Morgan, for many years a resident of South Waverly, died very suddenly at Miners Mills, near Wilkes-Barre, Pa., on Wednesday morning, Sept. 9, 1885, where he had been for a few days teaching penmanship and pen drawing, the profession he had followed for many years, and in which profession he was most proficient. He was in apparent good health, and chatting pleasantly with the people with whom he was stopping, when he cried out,"Oh, dear!" and fell heavily to the floor. Medical aid was immediately summoned, when it was found life was extinct. He did not speak after falling, and evidently had no warning that his end was near. A dispaatch was received here early Wednesday, and his sons went to Miners Mills on the first train, returning with the remains on Thursday evening. Mr. Morgan was born November 12, 1814, and leaves a wife and one daughter, Mrs. M. McGuffie and two sons, William and David Morgan, all of whom reside in this village. Mr. Morgan had been married fifty years on the day of his death. He was much respected by those with whom he was acquainted, and during the administration of President Polk, held the office of postmaster aat Austinville, Bradford Co., Pa. The funeral was held from the residence of M. McGuffie, Loder street, at three o'clock Friday afternoon, Rev. D.H. Cooper officiating. Submitted by Stephanie Johnston - Waverly Free Press-September 12, 1885