The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Forty Five

Copied from a copy in possession of Kelsey Jones. Typed by: Barbara COMSTOCK Coy.. 

ANDREWS---- Charles Andrews, an old resident of Jackson, died on Maple Ridge on the 10th Inst., after a brief illness. His age was about seventy-four years. A notice was not handled in and the editor was not informed in the matter.

APPLETON---- George Appleton, a young man employed on the farm of Henry Wilson at Seely Creek, died suddenly Saturday and the autopsy, which was made by Dr. E.A. Reilly of this city and Dr. Dickerson of Seely Creek. Showed that death conjection and heart followed an epileptic fit. Coroner Jacobs was summoned and empaneled the following who viewed the body and asjorned to meet at Miles Cassada's the foreman, on Saturday September 14: Andrew Bowen, T.B. Jones, B.J. Smith, Nelson Strauss, Itha Shepard, William Walkins and C.S. Jones. The deceased was an adopted son of the Appletons living in the vicinity.

BAKER---- Mrs. Elizabeth Baker, wife of Ammon Baker, died at her home one mile west of Pine City last Sunday night, of pneumonia. She leaves a hu7sband but no children.

BAKER----- A little son of Mahion Baker, of Elmira formerly of this township, died one day the past week, and was brought to Trowbridge Tuesday for burial.

BECKHORN--- Claude Beckhorn the five year old son of Mr. And Mrs. William Beckhorn, of East Third street, died of roup whooping cough, at the family residence, Thursday morning.

BUCHANAN---- William Buchanan, a lightly esteemed resident of Caton township, died quite unexpectedly last Sunday afternoon of heart disease. Mr. Buchanan had been ill for several months but was not supposed to be immediate danger. He had been talking with visitors during the afternoon, and after their departure experienced a difficulty in breathing which in a few minutes resulted in his death. Drs. Henry Flood, of Elmira, and Frank Smith, of this village, were approaching the house in plain sight as their patient expired. Mr. Buchanan was something over fifty years of age, had been twice married, and his last wife and several adult sons and daughters survive him, to mourn the loss of a kind husband and father. He was a veteran of Co. K, 161st N.Y. Vols, and a charter member of Deming Post, G.A. R., of this place, under whose auspices the funeral was conducted according to the impressive ritual of the order on Tuesday last at Kelly Hill school house, the burial being in the adjoining cemetery. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. H. Mecker, of this village, and was a very eloquent and appropriate. The attendance of mourning relatives and friends eas very large, testifying to the worth of the departed and the general esteem in which he was held. The bereaved family wish to extend, through the ADVOCATE their HEARTFELT THANKS TO THEIR KIND FRIENDS AND THE MEMBERS OF Deming Post for welcome assistance and sympathy in their time of trouble.

CONGTON--- The funeral of Mrs. Mortimer C. Congton was held yesterday afternoon at 2 o'clock, from the family home on East avenue, above the water cure, Rev. E.M. Mills officiating. Mrs. Congton died Thursday night at her home, corner Market and DeWitt streets, of heart trouble, aged forty-four years. She is survived by her husband, one son, Ray, and a daughter, Mrs. Carr Terwilliger.

DALY---- John D. Daly, of Pine City, died last Saturday after an illness of only two or three days. Deceased was a daughter of James Clinton and was 39 years old. She leaves a husband and an adopted daughter. The funeral was held at Pine City last Monday.

FOSTER--- THE VICTIM OF DECKER'S JEALOUSY EXPIRES LAST NIGHT. Pitiful Scene, of the Last Hours of the Poor and Unfortunate Sufferer-The sister of the Murdered Woman Among Those Who Tearfully Awaited the Sad Ending Of the Victim's Life-Coroner Jocobs Goes to Work to Summon a Jury. At 9:02 o'clock last night from the soul of Nellie Foster was released from the pain-wracked tenement and William Decker because a murderer. It was pitifully sorrowful, that death-bed scene. The dying woman lay outside the coverlet on the bed attired in the clothes she wore when her cowardly lover sent the fatal bullet crashing into her brain. For twenty-six hours she had lain in a comatose state, and even when the icy hand of the grim and silent messenger cast a shadow over her contorted features she made no sign and died without recovering consciousness. On her knees, with her hands raised in suppliance to the father of mercy, and with tears streaming down her face was the sister, Mrs. Arnold, who remained at the bedside from the time she arrived at the house and helped to raise the suffering woman from the floor, until the dissolution came. In the room, with bowed heads, three strong men watched the parting between the sisters with sorrowful eyes. One was the police officer stationed at the house, Mr. Nagle, the other were A.M. Croxley, a brother of the betrothed of the dying woman, and R.B. Jolly, his friend. A few minutes before the spirit of the poor victim of Decker's hatred passed into the unknown beyond, she ceased her piteous meanings and her features assumed a peaceful expression, which was retained after the face, was set in the rigidity of death. "She died as quietly as a child," said her sister to the reporter, sobbing bitterly as she thought of the earthly relationship that had been so cruelly ended. "She is the last family." Said she, "and my burden seems greater than I can bear." Mr. Croxley said that his brother was shocked and grieved over the death of his betrothed. He remained at the house until late Saturday afternoon, when he was compelled to take a cab and go to his home at No. 206 Brand street. He will undertake the funeral expenses and has engaged Undertaker Hubbell tp prepare the remains for burial. Coroner Jacobs arrived at the house soon after Mrs. Foster died and left in a few minutes to summon a jury. A post mortem examination will be held early this morning, after which the body will be removed to the home of Mrs. Arnold, at No. 358 South Main street. Before the reporter left the house he was allowed to look on the face of the dead. A paper which covered the features was removed. It was still the face of a handsome woman, and aside from the bullet hole near the temple there was nothing to indicate the torments she had endured. Before the reporter left Mrs. Arnold was driven to her house in Southport. She said she would return after starting a fire in the stove and preparing the house for the reception of the corpse. Officer Nagle and Mr. Jolly remained at the house all night. At an early hour this morning when the reporter called he found Mrs. Arnold sitting alone with her dead sister. She held one cold hand in hers and was crying silently. The lamp was turned down low and dim light in the room to the gloomy solemnity of the night.

DECKER---- William Decker Serving a Life Sentence in Auburn. Nowhere in the world is life so utterly lifeless as in the cell of a prisoner serving life sentence. To be sure, he eats and breathes, but that's all. The dreary, dull, irksome life grows so oppressive that the prisoner often curses the jury because they did not convict him of murder in the first degree, so that he might have escaped a sea of trouble, and his quietus have made either upon a scaffold or between electrodes of the dynamo. Yesterday, June 1, 1901, I visited the prison at Auburn. Looking over the register for 1891, I saw the following: "William Decker, Elmira, life sentence," Under this followed a description of the prisoner, and clothing, and other articles taken from his person, when he exchanged citizens' clothes for the prison garb: "Can I see this prisoner?" I asked of Warden Samuel Miller. He was one of the keepers ten years ago. "Certainly," replied the warden. "Representatives of Elmira newspapers are always welcome here-in their capacity as newsgatherers, of course." The warden then sent for Roger Sullivan, who had been appointed keeper from Elmira, and as Mr. Sullivan recognized me, by escorted me through several iron doors they locked at his bidding, and fine north wing, we stopped before . "Hi there, Sammy," called out keeper Sullivan, and a gruff voice answered: "Yes, I I'm here," The keeper proceeded to open the door and as he did so the reporter discovered Decker; sitting upon an iron cot. His former black hair was quite gray, and he bore the look of one who had left all of his life and all hope outside the prison walls. "How do you do, Mr. Decker?" I asked in a kindly manner as possible. "Don't you remember me?" He looked up from under his eyebrows, but his dull eyes gave forth no light of recognitions. He shook his head and as he did so, said: "Naw." "I am a reporter of the Elmira Telegram, circulation 500,000," A eynieal smile played for a moment over the doomed man's face, then he relapsed into a sullen silence for a few moments, and then again commenced to speak. "You are from the Telegram, are you?" Well you just tell Baxter and Schwartz that I had rather been hanged than sit here day after day, and in the night, oh, God; will that ghostly face ever quit peeping through the bars of my cell window? I can never sleep without see those staring eyes and sometimes her's blood streaming down her ________________. For ten years, great God! It has seemed an age I have stood this and my punishment is greater than I can bear." The prisoner broke down at this juncture, and sobbed, wrung his hands and rocked back and forth as though his heart was breaking and the machinery of his brain had crashed together. Then suddenly stopping he recovered himself sufficiently to ask in a pitful manner, "Why don't Uncle Joe get me out of this, if only for a day so that I could sniff the smell of the clover on Mt. Zoar, and get a good fresh drink of milk Oh, this confinement is terrible. For God's sake tell the young men in Elmira to let chippies and drink alone. This place is hell itself, and those two things brought me here. I wonder how much longer I will have to stay? Balf! I'm here for life, for life, curse her, while she is smoking in the fires of bades below. Bye and Bye, I wish it were now, death will come and then I'll know which was the murderer, Nellie or myself." Then turning to Warden Sullivan, he said: "Don't bring any more Elmira people here, Roge, it brings it all up again and makes me more miserable. Please go away and leave me. I am here and here to stay. Thanks to my lawyers. Good-bye," and Decker arose and turned his back to the walls of his cell and began pounding it with his hands. "I fell sorry for Sammy," remarked Keeper Rogers. He feels that way every day and I think it won't be but a year or so before he wears out. I think he should be sent over to the insane hospital, but the authorities here seem to know more than I do, so I'm not saying a word further. But I tell you, if I had to hang or stay in this place ten years, I would take the rope." The reporter then left the prison, tarrying an instant to ask Roger, "Has Sam had any epileptic fits during the ten years he has been here?" "Narry a fit," said Roger, and this scribe took the Auburn and Elmira railway for home. This is a new road, built especially for carrying prisoners from Elmira to Auburn. Ex-Sheriff Frank Cassada is the superintendent and John Watrous is the Conductor. Things have changed in ten years. Tom Gorman is now Sheriff of the county, John Daly is member of assembly and Charles Davison is United States senator, and the TELEGRAM is printed on pink silk.

ERLIEB--- Isreal Erlieb of Rochester, father of Barney Erlieb, the well know dry goods merchant of this city, died Sunday. Mrs. Joseph Harris of Hornellsville is a daughter of the deceased. FERGUSON--- The funeral of Mrs. Uriah Ferguson was held at her residence, 210 Caldwell avenue. At 9 a.m., last Friday. The Rev. Dr. Henry officiated and made some very appropriate remarks upon the life and character of the deceased. After the services were conducted the remains were taken to the Henry street depot and sent to Covington, Pa., where the interment will be made.

FERGUSON--- The remains of Mrs. Urial Ferguson, of Elmira, who died in this city last week Tuesday evening, aged 51 years, were taken to Covington for burial Friday. An only daughter, Mrs. E.C. Snover, resides at the latter place.

HARRIS--- Mrs. John Harris, of Kelly Hill, died last Monday, May 4th, aged about seventy years. Deceased was a daughter of Nathan Miller, and a sister of Geo. K. And Wm. Miller, Ann Curren, Mrs. Corwin and Mrs. J. E. Barnes. Her husband died last fall. She was held in deserved esteem by a large circle of friends. She leaves three sons and two daughters to mourn their loss. The funeral was held on Wednesday at 2 p.m., the deceased being buried in Kelly Hill cemetery.

HOGAN--- Her Death Occurs at Her home In the Village of Horseheads. A telephone message to the GAZETTE last Friday conveyed the news that Mrs. John Hogan died at her home in Horseheads at 11:30 o'clock that forenoon. Mr. Hogan will have the universal sympathy of everyone in his affliction.

KINNEY---- Horatlo C, Kinney, a former well-known resident of Mansfield, son of station agent W.H. Kinney of that place, was run over and killed by the cars at Rutherford, N.J., last Saturday night. He was employed in the auditor's office of the Erie Railway Co. In New York, and was standing on the track at Rutherford watching a train go by when another from the opposite direction came along and ran over him. He was about twenty-seven years old and leaves a wife and two children. The remains were brought to Mansfield Tuesday for burial.

KIMBALL--- John Kimball died on the 8th inst. Of old age, being in his 90th year. His remains were taken to Catlin, N.Y., near Big Flats, for burial.

LIDDY--- Mrs. Michael Liddy, a highly respected Christian woman, aged seventy-four years, died at 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon at Jones's, on the plank road. The funeral will be held at the house at 11 o'clock this afternoon, and the remains will be brought to this city for interment in Peter and Paul's cemetery.

McKINNEY---- A Chemung County Woman Disheartened By Ingratitude Kills Herself. Thankful McKinney, a woman seventy years of age, living in the town of Veteran, near Millport, this county, shot herself dead on Wednesday last. Twelve years ago Mrs. McKinney's husband died, leaving her possessed of considerable property most of which was valuable real estate. She owned a large farm. Well stocked, and had money on deposit in an Elmira bank. Some years ago a sleek-looking individual with a smooth oily tongue was employed by Mrs. McKinney, to repair some machinery used on the farm. His name is Bush and he made such a favorable impression on the aged woman that she engaged him to work for her permanently. Bush played his cards well and finally induced her to deed all her property, upon the promise that he would provide for and make comfortable the few remaining years on earth of his benefactress. After Bush got control of the property Mrs. McKinney came to realize the mistake she had made in short order. Bush was no longer the fawning subservient man of all work, he was the master and he made the confiding old woman feel his power. His ingratitude broke her heart, and finally, in despair, she died by her own hand. When found her body was rigid and from a small hole in the temporal bone the blood came slowly. A coroner's jury was impaneled and yesterday an inquest was .

MILLER---- John D. Miller, the most extensive potato dealer in that section, died in Cohocton last week of consumption. Mr. Miller was a wealthy farmer and the first man in that section to start the potato growing industry, which has grown to such extensive preportions.

NEWTON---- Word was received in the city during the past week of the death of Nora Cooper, wife of Jervis O. Newton, of Chicago and daughter of ex-shrieff and Mrs. Cooper, formerly of this city. Mrs. Newton was an accomplished woman and the news of her death caused genuine sorrow among her many friends in this city. Isaac Parrobrant received the following particulars of Mrs. Newton's death: Dear Isaac and Family;-- We have buried our daughter Nora-what a sad blow to us. A little babe six weeks old to leave without a mother. We thought she had recovered, but she was suddenly taken worse and died in ten minutes without saying a word. Fanny is nearly crazy to think she was not with her. I feel so bad I cannot write, but will write when I get home. The fire burned my timber all over and did me great damage. I fought fire night and day for two weeks and saved my mill. Nora husband came near dying at the funeral. He was so prostrated that two doctors had hard work to save him. Isaac Cooper

NEWTON----- Donald Vincent, the only son of Jervis O. Newton and the late Nora Cooper Newton, died October 17, 1891, in Chicago. The little one was a grand child of ex-Sheriff Cooper.

NOBLE---- The wife of Alonzo Noble, died at her home in Wells, Feb. 2th. She was 85 years old. The funeral was observed Thursday at the Baptist church of which she was a member many years. She leaves a husband and one son Geo. W. Noble, also four grandchildren and four great grandchildren. She was greatly esteemed by all who knew her.

RHOADES---- Mrs. Mary Ann Rhoades, wife of Amos Rhoades, died in Caton on Thursday of last week, and the funeral was held at the M. E. Church in Caton Sunday afternoon.

SHERMAN---- Mrs. William Sherman, of Dry Run, in Southport, N.Y., died last Sunday at an advanced age.

SMITH---- Mr. And Mrs. Will Smith, of this place mourn the loss of an infant son, aged about five months, who died Monday morning of cholera infinitum.

SPRAGUE---- Ida Sprague daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Elbert Sprague, of Hall street, died Thursday of scarlet fever. The surviving parents desire to return their thanks to their many friends who kindly lent their assistance during their daughter's sickness, death and funeral.

WEBSTER---- Death of Sir C.L. Webster, Mark Twain's Partner and Publisher of General Grant's Memoirs. Sir Charles L. Webster, the New York publisher, died at his home in Fredonia, N.Y., Sunday. Charles L. Webster, was best known as the head of New York book publishing firm of Charles L. Webster & Co., and the firm best known as the publishers of the "Personal Memoirs of General Grant." The firm was organized in 1884, and consisted then of Mr. Webster and Samuel L. Clemens, better known as Mark Twain. Subsequently F. J. Hall was admitted into the partnership. Mr. Webster from the start had the entire business management of the concern. The publication of the Grant Memoirs in 1885-6 netted an immense profit, seventy per cent of which went to the general's widow, who has now received it is understood, nearly $500.000. The contract was made with General Grant in March, 1885, about four months previous to the great soldier's death. Up to October, 1886, the firm had paid Mrs. Grant, $350,000 as royalty on her husband's book. The firm has also published Mark Twain's later works, including "Huckleberry Finn," as well as several other successful subscription books. In 1887 Mr. Webster went to Rome and had an interview with Pope Leo, during which it was arranged that Webster & Co. should publish a life of the pope. This was done, the book appearing both in the English and in the principal languages of continental Europe. It met with a large sale, Pope Leo was so well pleased with Mr. Webster's personal labors in the publication that he conferred upon him the Order of Knighthood, entitling him to prefix "Sir" before his name.

WELLES---- Mr. And Mrs. George P. Welles, of Big Flats mourn the loss of their little daughter. Mrs. Welles was Miss Fassett, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Fassett of this city.

WHITE----- Death of One of the Old Pioneers of Southport. Engineer H. E. Jones, of this city, has received notice of the death of his uncle, Seth M. White, of Sandwich, Ill., on March 20. Seth Marvin White was born in Southport, Chemung county, N. Y., February 3, 1810, and lived near the state line on the plank road for many years. In 1861 he moved to Illinois. His father, Dr. Amos Gates White, was an early pioneer in this valley and build the first frame house in Southport. In 1833, he married Miss Sarah Roy, a sister of John A. Roy, a well-known farmer of Seeley Creek. Ehen "Brick" Pomeroy was yet an infant Mr. And Mrs. White took him to their home at the dying request of Mrs. Pomeroy, Mr. White's sister, and brought him up to manhood and Mr. Pomeroy has always held his foster parents in grateful remembrance for their kindness to him in his younger days. They were very exemplary people and "Uncle Seth" and "Aunt Sallie" were know and loved throughout the Seeley creek valley. He leaves a wife and one son, A. G. White, a railroad conductor, with whom his parents have lived for several years. At last accounts Mrs. White was very low and not expected to survive him long. The Sandwich, Ill,. Free Press says: "Mr. White died Friday March 20, at 9 a.m., aged eighty-one years, one month and seventeen days. He was a devoted Christian, having been a member of the Presbyterian church in Southport for twenty years before coming west. He was a very ambitious man, always actively engaged while his health lasted. His life has been an exemplary one. For the past twenty years he had been an . Three years ago last fall he managed to get down town twice in one day, but has never been down since. May 15, 1803, he was made a master Muson in Meteor Lodge, No. 283, F. & A. M., and has been an honored member of that order ever since, being chairman for number of years. It had always been his desire to be buried with the Masonic services. Accordingly, Meteor lodge, No. 283, took charge of the funeral. The services were held from the house Sunday at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. H. V. Tull, of the Congregational church, assisted by Rev. H.H. Nye, of the Presbyterian church."

WOOD--- Mrs. Aaron Wood died of pneumonia at Mitchell's Mills last Friday, aged 53 years. She was the second wife of Mr. Wood and leaves a husband but no children. Mrs. Wood was highly regarded in the community as was manifested by the kind services of numerous neighbors and friends during her last illness, for which the bereaved husband extends acknowledgments and thanks. The remains were taken to Elmira early Sunday morning, whence they were conveyed by rail to Swartwood, N.Y., deceased former home, for burial. 

ACKLEY, Anson D.--- A Man Well-Know Throughout This Section Joins the Silent Majority.

Anson D. Ackley, for several years engaged in the second hand house furnishing goods trade in this city, died at his residence on West First street, at an early hour Tuesday morning. Prior to engaging in business in this city he lived in Watkins, where he was at one time a leading hardware merchant. He also built the Arlington hotel, at the entrance to the famous glen, one of the first hotels erected for visitors to that resort. During the Murphy temperance "Grandfather," as he was familiarly known in Watkins, because a power in the cause. His quaint humor and persuading eloquence bringing many inebriates to forsake their cups. He was a general favorite with all classes and enjoyed a large friendship in the lake country and southern tier. He was one of the best known auctioneer of his time and his name because famous all over the land on account of a joke he played upon a crowd at a vondue held at Reynoldsville, in Schuyler county. He brought out the farmers pretty daughter and offered her to the highest bidder during a lull in the sale of stock and farm implements. He was a kindly man and if he had faults his good fellowship excused them with his friends. His death was occasioned by gangrene setting in from an injured foot. He leaves a wife, three sons and two daughters, one the wife of Superintendent Jameson, of the Pullman Car company at Hornellsville. The funeral took place from the resident Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock, Rev. Dr. McKnight officiating. Amoung the relatives present were sons, John and Anson, the former a conductor on the Chesapeake and Ohio railway, and the latter assistant commissary of the Pullman Car company at Coumcil Bluffs, and his daughters, Mrs. __ C. Jameson, of Hornellsville, and Mrs. Frank Hunter and her husband. The remains taken to Horellsville for interment on the Monitor, the Eric company furnishing a special car for the mourners. Beautiful floral tokens were laid upon the coffin by Mrs. Richard Ker, Mrs. J.H. Shearer and the family.

ARMSTRONG, William A. The Editor of the "Husbandman" Passes to His Reward ------------------------ HIS DEATH LAST THURSDAY ------------------------ A Sketch of a Widely Known Gentleman's Life- The Future of the "Husbandman." ------------------------ While the long illness of William A. Armstrong, for many years Master of the State Grange, and editor of the Husbandman, foryears famous as an agricultural paper, had prepared the public somewhat, still the news of his death shortly after 5 Thursday evening came as a decided shock to his large following friends. Mr. Armstrong was sixty-three years of age. For the past year or more he suffered severely from nervous prostration and during the past four months had been confined to his house on West Hill, just beyond Carr's Corners. He was of striking perdonatity, rugged in form, and with long hair and a plentiful beard made a picture which was bound to attract attention at any time and in any place. He was a practical farmer and for many years he tilled the soil of his West Hill farm with profit, at the same time being a reader and student. As the Master of the State Grange he was in the front work of the men who best represented the farming interests of the state and as the editor of the Husbandman he was unescelled as a writer on agricultural matters.

HIS LATTER DAYS, For a year or more, as stated, Mr. Armstrong had been in poor health, and almost totally incapacitated for the work of carrying on his paper. He declined a re-election at the last meeting of the State Grange, principally on account of his enfeebled condition. A niece and Mr. Armstrong's brother have had charge of the husbandman for several months. Financial difficulties caused largely by the editor's illness beset him during the latter days of his life, and he was harassed by the demands of the creditors of himself and the paper. He was, however, a man of upright character and the not large number of men who counted themselves as not his friends, never charged him with irregularity in his business methods. The future of the Husbandman is not yet determined, but it is probable, it is stated that the executive committee of the State Grange will continue the paper as the organ of that organization.

WHAT ONE WHO KNOWS HIM WROTE The following written by one who knew Mr. Armstrong is taken from the Advertiser: The Elmira farmers' club was organized by Mr. Armstrong, George W. Hoffman, James McCann, Charles Heller and other prominent men, all practical farmers, who loved their avocation, December 14, 1869, and soon because a power and benefit to large number of farmers. To William Armstrong, his clear head and spt pen, the club owes much. Mr. Armstrong was the secretary of the club and did a tremendous amount of work. As an outgrowth of the club came the Husbandman, a weekly agricultural paper, started in 1874 with Mr. Armstrong as editor, and through this medium his facile and forcible pen conveyed to thousands of readers the practical information gained by the club. Mr. Armstrong continued its editor up to the time of his death. He early became interested and identified with the patrons of husbandry and was grand master of the state grande. In the order he was recognized as a leader and his counsel was always highly regarded and freely sought. He was a forcible and interesting talker and his presence at grange meetings was much sought after. In 1881 he was appointed a member of the board of control of the agricultural experimental station and was re-appointed in 1884. In 1887 he was nominated by Governor Hill as a railroad commissioner, but the senate failed to confirm the nomination.

BADGER----- SUPERINTENDENT BADGER DEAD --------------------------- Stricken Down at His Post of Duty, While Yet in the Fullness of Life Hornellsville, N.Y., May 16,--Superintendent W. H. Badger is dead. Stricken down in the line of duty, with years of life full of expectation yet before him, his death comes with a terrible shock and casts a gloom over the faces of hundreds who knew him-and who did not here?-and it will be many years before that genial face fades from the memory of those who knew him in this life. Ever faithful to the trust intrusted to his hands, death found him fearlessly and unshrinkingly discharging his duties. Born of humble parents in New Milford, Pa., in 1841, he resided at home until nineteen years of age. At that time he stated out to battle for himself-first as a locomotive fireman: a few years later he was promoted to engineer. Not far from a quarter of a century ago he first came to this city, and in connection with J.W. Burnham, engaged in dry goods business, where O.N. Laskey is now located. This partnership lasted but a few years, when he removed to Binghamton and engaged in the jewelry business. Subsequently, in 1874 he returned to railroading accepting a position as engineer on the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western, at the earnest solicitation of the superintendent. A few years ago the illfated Lackawanna and Pittsburg railroad from Olean to Wayland, via Angeliea and Swalas, was financially a wreck. It was then that Mr. Badger became a superintendent, most honorably and faithfully did he acquit himself. When that road and the Rochester, Hornellsville and Lackawanna were merged into one, Mr. Badger was appointed superintendent and actually accomplished the almost hopeless task of making the road self-sustaining. Last year he was offered the superintendency of the roads of C.W. & F.H. Goodyear in the lumber regious of northern Pensylvania. The roads are lumber roads, built to reach and handle the immense products of those almost unlimited forests. As the work was arduous and responsible, society scarce and future prospects limited, he was very loth to go, but the handsome salary of $2,500 a year was too tempting to be thrown over, and he accepted, making his headquarters at Austin. By hard work and skilled management he had just got the work so organized that it would require less labor to manage, and he was working hard so save his employers' property when he lost his life, falling on the field of duty. Although fifty years of age, he was remarkably well preserved. He leaves a widow and two sons, Harry, an employe of the West Shore and Fred, who is quite young. Mitchell I. Blair, the receiver of the Rochester, Hornellsville and Lackawanna, and formerly auditor of the Lackawanna and Southwestern, said, in speaking of Mr. Badger: " I knew Badger quite intimately, and highly esteemed him. He was one of nature's noblemen. He combined in his moral had mental make-up more manly qualities than I have ever met with before is ine man. He was honest and fearless. He never wanted a man to do anything he wasn't willing to undertake and never asked for help when he could get along without it. If he was compelled to discharge a man he would do so in such a way that the man would be his friend." Frank A, Seabert, superintendent of the Buffalo division of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western, under whom Mr. Badger was serving as engineer when called to higher honors, said: " He was one of the most reliable men we had on the road. He was a locomotive engineer, and when he asked to be transferred to another branch of the service he was _____ the position of passenger conductor. He was a fine man and I am sorry to heard of his fearful death. I am sure he met his fate bravely trying to help others."

BARTHOLOMEW, William K. - Van Ettenville Loses One of Its Best and Foremost Citizens. It becomes our painful duty this morning to announce the death of William K. Bartholomew, only son of Peter Bartholomew, which sad event occurred at Van Ettenville, Tuesday at 1:30 p.m., of apoplexy. Mr. Bartholomew was born at Seely Creek, N.Y., December 25, 1849, and was therefore forty-one years of age last Christmas day. His boyhood days were spent at Seely Creek, and in 1870 when a young man he moved with his parents to Van Ettenville. On October 13, 1875, he was married to Miss Emma L. Clark, daughter of prominent resident of that town. The funeral services were held at the First M.E. church, Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock, the Rev. U.S. Hall, who had received him into the church twenty-three years ago, officiating, and preaching from I. John, 3:2. He was assisted by the Rev. Mr. Sackett, Mt. Lebanon lodge, F. And A.M., No. 775, of which the deceased was a member, had charge of the funeral, many Masons from other towns being present to pay their last tribute to their departed brother. The deceased was universally loved and esteemed for his straightforward, manly traits of character. He was chosen to fill many offices of trust and responsibility at different times in his life, the duties of which were preformed in a manner satisfactory to all. It was the church, however, where the greatest work of his life was accomplished, he acting as superintendent of the Sabbath school at various times, and for fifteen years as chorister of the public services, where his clear, ringing voice could be heard above all and always ready and willing to do everything in his power to help along God's cause. Just why he was taken in the very prime of life, and when so much needed here, we cannot now understand, but in God's own time it will all be made plain. He leaves besides his wife and aged parents, three small boys, the eldest of whom is fifteen years of age, and four sisters as follows: Mrs. Charles H. Buck, of Sugar Hill, N.Y., Mrs. Lewis Pelham, of Locke, N.Y., Mrs. John F. Sykes, of Elmira, N.Y., and Mrs. John W. Clapp, of Lockwood, N.Y.. The sorrowing friends have the heartfelt sympathy of a large circle of relatives and friends to mourn with them in this, the darkest hour of their lives. When is there that will not niles Will? He leaves a vacant place that cannot easily be filled. The sweet voice is hushed in this world, but in the great hereafter, may we all be permitted to hear it one more, joining in the songs of the redeemed, and where it will sound sweeter and clearer, for there will be no troubled notes to enter in and mar the harmony.

HAMER---- DEATH OF HOWARD S. HAMER. ------------------------------ The funeral will Take place This Afternoon at the First M.E. Church. The announcement of the death of Howard S. Hamer was received with expression's of profounded gret by his numerous friends in Elmira. Some months ago Professor Hamer was taken to the Buffalo Insane asylum. It was believed at the time that he was suffering from a temporary ailment and would soon recover, but his condition did not improve and Thursday evening he died. Professor Hamer was for number of years past very prominent in musical circles i this section of the state. He was a successful teacher of vocal music and had done much in his life time to cultivate a love for this art he taught among the prople of this city and other places in the vicinity. He was born November 13, 1846, in the town of Tredager, Monmothshire, South Wales, and emigrated to America in 1864, locating for a time at Scranton, Pa.. In the year 1875 he removed to Elmira, where he has since resided. For fourteen years Mr. Hamer was chorister of the First M.E. church and he had charge of the music in the public schools for three years. He managed nine May festivals, the first being held in 1882. Mr. Hamer was an upright Christian man and citizen who was universally esteemed and respected. The funeral will take place to-day. Private services will beheld at the house at 2 o'clock. The services at the church will be at 2:30, Rev. C.C. Wilbor will have charge of the services at the home and the church, and Wetamoe tribe of Red Men at the grave. Mr. Hamer was a member of the Royal Areanum society and carried an insurance policy of $3,000 in that order. The funeral of Prof. H.S. Hamer was held Sunday afternoon at the house 512 ______ avenue by the Rev. J. F. McCarthy a former pastor of the First Methodist church.

RYMANOWICH----- A WRESTLING CONTEST ----------------- Ends in the death of Tony Rymanowich, a Quarry Laborer. Tony Rymanowich. Who was employed in Symoud's stone quarry on East hill, died Thursday evening from intestinal rupture, the results of a wrestle with a slabtown African giant know as Wash Buck, alias Wash Addison Buck. Rymanowich was a Pole, and his death occurred on the second floor of Andrew Kozlowski's saloon, corner of Baldwin and East Fifth streets. He made a post mortem statement that Buck kicked him in the breast with his knees when he had him on the floor. Witnesses who saw the encounter claim it was a friendly one, but, Chief Little thought best to lock the negro up until the corner's jury was impanelled Friday and after viewing the remains adjoured to meet in the court house next Tuesday evening: Antoine Romer, Herman Strauss, Daniel Sheehan, J.F. Van Nort, Abram Anhalt, F.D. Nelson, James Clatworthy, F.A. Frasier, Dell Hamlton, H>W. Loghry, Drs. Henry Flood and L.H. Merchant performed an autopsy and found that death had been caused by the rupture of an intestine. Rymanowich had lived in this country nine years and bore a good reputation as an industrious, law-abiding citizen. His mother living in the Russian governed province of Lutania. The affair took place Tuesday afternoon in Kozlowski's saloon. Buck of Addison used to work for the late John Carpenter, at the Half-way house. He has also been employed by Thomas Gerity and John I. Nicks. The affair created considerable excitement in the neighborhood, and the witnesses are generally unreliable, so that a case of manslaughter will hardly be made out against Buck. He thinks, however, that he is going to hang, and has doubtless already is his imagination, suffered twenty deaths.


Herbert Warren believes that he will leave the court room Sunday next, free to go where he chooses. He said yesterday that he felt no fears that his trial would result in his conviction, and he was glad the ordeal was so close at hand. The boy has been a model prisoner and is well liked by Sheriff Cassada and the jail attendants. Christmas day he was visited by his mother, who remained in the cell where he is confined several hours. The mother and son talked of the trial and discussed it probate outcome. When Mrs. Warren left the jail her eyes were red from weeping, and for some time after his mother had gone the lad, overcome by his emotions, sobbed like a child. During the week a number of ladies called at the jail to express to the prisoner their sympathy and good wishes. Since he was first locked in jail on May 13 last, Warren has been visited by hundreds of people. Many of the callers were moved to visit the prisoner by motives of curiosity. They wanted to see and talk with the boy. Others who had read the newspaper reports of the murder were convinced that the youth was in a measure justified in killing his father, and they came to proffer advice and sympathy. For some weeks after the tragedy the lawyers who were engaged to defend the boy received numbers of letters from cranks living in the territory in which this paper circulates. Many of these letters were written by wealthy persons who offered to contribute money to pay the lawyers for their services. One rich Buffalo business man wrote to Jacob Schwartz and offered to coutribute $1,000 to defray the expenses of the trail. A merchant living in Albany wrote to Mr. Bacon and diredted him to draw on him at sight for $250, if the money was required, and Mr. Stauchfield also received proffers of financial assistance. Hon. A.C. Enstace , president of the state board of civil service examiners, has been retained by the district attorney to asist in trying the people's side of the case and they will make a strong effort to convict the youthful parricde now sixteen years of age. Mr. Denton will present the people's side of the case at the opening of the trial, and Mr. Enstace will sum up. Corner Joh Jacobs will be an important witness. The Coroner had in his possession some letters that would be read at the trial. If he hasn't _____ destroyed them. If the board ______ had audited the bill which ______ presented for his services ________. 

L. M. SMITH’S DECLINE His Wealth and Health Disappeared Together

The announcement that Lewis M. Smith’s estate is deeply embarrassed, will be a profound surprise in Elmira, except to a very few. Among bankers it has been known that Mr. Smith’s fortunes were gradually declining. At the time of the failure of Francis G. Hall, nearly thirteen years ago, Mr. Smith’s negotiable resources were so limited as to cause surprise to bankers made acquainted with what bills receivable he could produce when he was forced to a “show-down” to get money to tide him over a temporary stress. Mr. Smith had a great deal of city and farm property then, but it has shrunken greatly in value in the intervening years. When F. G. Hall failed Mr. Smith could not get any money at one of the city banks, but did get it of another. To do so he had to give the pick of the negotiable paper he had, and Mrs. Smith, himself, stated that only the gilt-edged was accepted. This would seem to imply his own suspicion against some of his commercial paper. If he had bad paper in 1885, it is not likely that his holdings of good paper has since increased. On the contrary, it would be but natural that the run of paper such as Mr. Smith handied would deteriorate. He negotiated a class of paper that at best cannot be rated higher than a slow asset. Mr, Smith’s health had been gradually failing for several months past. Last summer and fall he appeared at his banking house forenoons only, remaining at home during the balance of the day. It was apparent to a few observing ones that the Smith real estate in the city did not look as spick and span as formerly. A few were bold enough to think Smith was had up, but most people thought he was getting closer. When he was making money he kept his real estate up in fine condition-in fact, too fine to render it profitable through rentals. Commencing with the panic of 1893, the awful shrinkage in values began, and al the real estate L. M. Smith had suffered very much, in fact, all except his home at the corner of Church and Columbia streets, which always had been in fact the property of Mrs. Smith, bought, built and paid for out of her own fortune. So it was that Mr. Smith’s health and wealth departed south. 

HOSPITAL BOARD FEELS GREAT LOSS Action is Taken on Death of Matthias H. Arnot - Had Great Sympathy For the Work - Tribute to Him.

At the meeting of the Board of Managers of the Arnot-Ogden Hospital, held last evening, the following resolutions of respect to Mr. Arnot was adopted: Mathias H. Arnot, aged seventy-seven, died at his city home the fifteenth of February 1910. Mr. Arnot, the leading corporate member of the Board of Managers, was also, alsways, a chief guiding member. To the initiative of himself, and his sister Mrs. Marianna Arnot Ogden, the foundation of the hospital is due, and a substantial endowment was supplied by themselves, their family and friendly connections. Such aggregate expenditure for plant and sustenance to date, is more than a million of dollars, not only with his means and influence, but also with affection he fostered the hospital, with parental watchfulness he kept knowledge of all its affairs. Mr. Arnot’s characteristic conservativeness has, many a time, saved the community from commercial disaster, the extent of his considerate helpfulness to worthy debtors and unfortunate acquaintances cannot be completely know, but assuredly was abundant, and his fidelity and constancy were also striking traits of his character. We, his associate managers, mourn his loss to the whole community, but specially grievous is hiss loss to the hospital and to each personally. This minute in our proceedings testifies to our high appreciation of his greatworthiness; to our sorrow and sympathy with others who by his departure are also bereaved. it is grateful to feel that this charity, the Arnot-Ogden Memorial Hospital, will remain a token of the munificence and benevolent regard of its founders. 

Resolutions of Respect

At a regular meeting of Chas. W. Deming Post No. 476, G. A. R., held at their session rooms in Millerton Dec 19th, 1903, the following resolutions were unanimously adopted. Whereas, The Supreme Commander of the Universe having promoted another of our comrades, Sergt. G. W. Ferguson to the realms above, it is fitting that we testify to our appreciation of his worth. Therefore be it. Resolved, That in the death of Sergt. Ferguson this post loses a loyal and highly regarded member, and the community a patriotic and respected citizen. Resolved, That to the bereaved wife and other relatives we extend our most sincere fraternal sympathy in their bereavement, trusting that they may gain consolation from the only true source, and realize that what is their loss is his true gain. Resolved, That our charter be draped in mourning for thirty days, these resolutions be entered upon the minutes of the Post, and that they be published in the Millerton “Advocate”. Harry T. Graves Philip Petty, Committee 

DEATH CLAIMS “DAD” BACKER Well-known Show Man, Who Traveled Around Country with Small Circus, Passes Away in Binghamton.

Emery, better known as “Dad” Backer, died Monday night at the New York State Hospital at Binghamton, aged fifty-two years. The decedent was a resident of Horseheads and was the proprietor of a small road circus, which traveled by wagons and was well known in the small towns within a radius of about 75 miles of Elmira. “Dad” Backer’s show was an annual feature in many of the towns of northern Pennsylvania for the past 20 years but for the past few years he had not been on the road because of ill health. The decedent is survived by his widow, in Horseheads; two daughters, Mrs. Leon S.Brown of Brookfield, N.Y. and Miss Maude Backer of Nichols, N.Y., two sisters, Mrs. Lewis E. Rice of Elmira, and Miss Stella Backer of Blossburg, Pa., also a brother Peter backer of Waverly. The remains were removed this morning to the family home on Center street in the village of Horseheads, where the funeral will be held Thursday at 3 p.m. The Rev. Harry Smith will officiate. 


Mrs. Harriett M. Woodford died Friday at 3 p.m. at the family home, 707 Holdridge street, aged eighty-two years. She is survived by three sons, Baldwin Kemp, of Washington: John Woodford, Salamanca: Joseph Woodford, Lawrenceville, Pa.: and Benjamin of Montana: two daughters, Mrs. Croa Van Gelder and Mrs. R. L. Matterlee of Elmira; three brothers W. H. Hudson, Millerton, Pa. Joseph and George H. of Walker, Idaho; two sisters, Mrs. Dora Mayfield, Shelton, Iowa; Mrs. Elsie Davies, Grand Junction, Colo., twelve grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren. A prayer service will be held at the home of her daughter, Mrs. B. O. Satterlee, 802 Holdridge street, Monday at 12M., the funeral will be held in the Alder Run, Alder Run cemetery. 

LEAVE FOR WASHINGTON ON THEIR WEDDING TRIP Miss Daisy Kennedy and Percy Vannoy are Married in East Troy.

Troy, Pa. Dec. 26 - A pretty wedding was held at the home of Mrs. W. W. Kennedy in Springfield at noon Thursday when her youngest daughter Daisy became the bride of Percy Vannoy of East Troy. The Rev. R. E. Brague performed the ceremony in the presence of about 50 guests. The house was prettily decorated with poinsettia and smilax. Miss Alice Colony of Troy played the wedding march. The bride was attended by her sister Mrs. Robert J. Halpin of Montclair, N.J., Max Kennedy, a brother of the bride, acted as best man and little Dorothy Kelley of Elmira was ring bearer. A sumptuous wedding luncheon was served. The bridal couple left on the afternoon train for Washington and on their return they will reside in a newly furnished home in East Troy. The guests present from Elmira included Mr. and Mrs. Ford Knapp, Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Kelley and daughter Dorothy, Miss Anna Stannard, Miss Jessie Hollowell, and Miss Essie Swartwood.  

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 14 OCT  98
By Joyce M. Tice