The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Forty Three

From the Cook Scrapbook-

Copied from a copy in possession of Kelsey Jones. Typed by: Pat LaFrance, Fountain Hills, AZ and Ina Sutfin. . THIS PAGE is arranged in random scrapbnook order. While I know (the computer database knows) the real names of many of the women, I have not had time to look them up yet, and so have not attempted to put his is any order



Tributes to the Late Dr. Steele by His Widow And His Pupils- Memorials to Former Pastors

The most striking features in the interior of the new First Methodist church edifice, on Baldwin Street, is the artistic glass work. There are stained glass windows, everywhere. At the west end of the building, where the big entrance doors were in the old church, is a large memorial window made by Bedding & Baird, of Boston, which extends from the floor to the ceiling. The design of the center panel is "Christ, the light of the world". The side panels are of geometrical figuring. This window is the to the memory of five former pastors of the church and two lay members. The clergymen are Reverend Jonas Dodge, under whom the first house of worship was erected; Reverend Charles Z. Case, died October 19., 1872, aged thirty-five years: Reverend Allen Steele, died January 14, 1873, aged sixty-five years; Re4verend Thomas B. Hudson, died October 19, 1876, aged fifty-five years; Reverend A. C. George, D. D., died August 7, 1885, aged sixty-one. The inscription under their names is "They rest from their labors". The lay members are Elizabeth Perry , died January 20, 181841, aged sixty-four; Hollis S. Chubbuck, M.D., died March 4, 1883, aged seventy-four years. The legend beneath reads: "They live, for we remember their lives. They speak, for we treasure their words". Another large window, now being made by Donald MacDonald, of Boston, after Holman Hunt's painting of Christ knocking at the door, is to be put in the east end of the auditorium to the memory of the Reverend H.F. Spencer, a former pastor of the church. The window which will attract the greatest attention, as the most costly and beautiful tribute to the death, is that in the north end of the church at the left of the alter erected by Mrs. Ester B. Steele to the memory of her husband, the late Dr. J. Dorman Steele. The window is lancet arched. It is the work of MacDonald. The lower section is a copy of Raphael's cartoon of St. Paul preaching on Mars Hill. Below are the inscriptions: "To perpetuate the memory of a serene Christian, a loyal patriot, a generous benefactor, an earnest student, a pure man, Joel Dorman Steele, born May 14, 1836, died May 25, 1886" and "This window is here placed by her to whom God granted the supreme joy of best knowing the grace and beauty of his unsullied life". The upper section of the window is divided by mullions(into four windows with Gothic-arched heads, with designs representing four permods in Dr. Steele's life. The first is Samuel on his knees. This represents his conversion. The second, David going out to meet Goliath, illustrates his military experience; the third, an angel stretching out his arms to protect a child from falling, is figurative of his work as a teacher; the fourth, St. John with a book in his hand, characterizes his work as an author. At the arch is a rose window, with the words of St. Paul's text on Mars Hill.


The Old Temperance Hero at Last Goes to His Grave

We call him the temperance hero because he conquered himself. His was at one time a seemingly unconquerable appetite for liquor, but at length, es has been recited in the TIDINGS, he took the pledge during the excitable time of the Murphy Blue Ribbon movement in Elmira several years ago, and he never broke his word. The TIDINGS heard he was sick with heart disease, some time ago, and in want. A call was made for his relief, and many dollars and provisions flowed in to him. Drn Mills gave him a long medical attendance, but of course he could only be relieved, not cured. He died last Friday, and will be buried today by the poor authorities in the potter's field. Bill Campbell was born in Elmira fifty-nine years ago. His father was Gave Campbell-the family a notorious one this locality. In his younger days Bill was a powerful man, and few could get away from him. He earned a precarious livelihood among what was called "street contractors," doing what odd jobs he could get, and spending the money generally for liquor. Bill joined the army during the warm but deserted. He tried to get a pension on account of a wound on one of his legs, but the matter being raced up it was found that the wound was not the result of bloodshed for our country's sake, but was received during surreptitious chicken expedition down the river one night when an owner happened to be out with his gun. The pension was never applied for again as these faults ought not to count against the old man now. His way of live was well known, and he made no concealment. He lived what he was. He was only Bill Campbell; yet was all his when he said he had finished. Having a vagabond life and took the pledge, he kept his word, and for this reason it was in his later years, gained him respect; because it was thought he was trying to help himself, he was helped accordingly to all the work he could get at carpentry, until he was taken to his bed. Well, Bill is dead. His life did some good. It set an example at best, of a determined sobriety. Perhaps for that he will be rewarded in the unknown, where, according to their talents, men are adjudged who enter into rest. --Since writing the above we learn that kind-hearted citizens have taken the matter in hand and will give the old hero a respectable burial. The residence is on Oak Street, near Clinton, and the funeral service at four o'clock will be by Dr. McCarthy.


Thiw is the day set apart by the Army of the Republic, and madedas holiday by the government for the pose of decorating the graves of those died in defending the flag in its time of danger, or who were its protectors. In many places the beautiful custom was observed yesterday and in many a quiet church-yard and cemetery it will be tomorrow. Today in every pulpit occupied by humane, right thinking ministers fitting remarks will be made eulogizing the brave men lying in dreamless sleep, who once went forth to battle for a principle and the preservation of our government. Lonely hearts, which have been schooled to hide their tender wounds will bleed afresh today as thoughts of husbands, sweethearts and brothers are brought up anew by the exercises of the day and bronzed cheeks, which never blanched at the roar of cannon will be damp with tears falling from brave old eyes as memories of comrades; loved like brothers, flash on the soldier's mind. Children of another generation will be told the stories of their ancestors' sacrifices and infant voices will join the grand chorus of praise which will arise, and little hands will scatter flowers with as great reverence as the older ones who realize more deeply the significance of the action. It is twenty odd years ago since the cruel war ceased and although some of the wounds made then in mind and body have closed, the lesson taught by the great count remains. It is well that it does. It is what that the memory of the brave men whose graves we decorate with flowers is kept green in our hearts and those of our children. It serves to keep a spirit of patriotism fully alive in their breasts, for what youth could see the flag fluttering at the half-mast over the grave of a father or grandfather and not feel a thrill of loyalty to the glorious banner? Those of our comrades who still live and all classes of citizens should unite in properly observing this day of all the year. It is expected of them and it is their duty. It is all we can do for our departed friends.

On fame's eternal ??????? ground Their silent tents are spread; And glory guards, with solemn round, The bivouac of the dead. No rumor of the foot advance Now swells upon the ??????? No troubled thought at midnight ??????? Of loved ones left behind; No vision of the morrow's strife The warrior's ??? ?????? No braying horn of screaming fife At dawn shall call to arms Their shivered swords ??? with rust, Their ????????????????????????????

Tear ????????????????????????????????? Their haughty ??????????? Is now their ???? ??? And plentious funeral tears have washed The red stain from each brow; And proud forces, by battle gashed, Are free from anguish now. The neighing troop, the flashing blade, The bugle's stirring blast, The charge, the dreadful cannonade, The din and shout, are passed; Nor war's wild note, nor glory's peal, Shall thrill with fierce delight Those breasts that never more may feel The rapture of the flight.


The Erie Engineer who Bravely Died at His Post

Rochester, NY, Jan. 21 - Frank H. Maynard, the engineer who so bravely died at his post- the throttle of the locomotive he commanded-in the collision at Avoca on the Erie railway last Tuesday morning, resided in this city, at No. 8 Hubbell Park, and lives a wife and two children. He was formally from Elmira, NY. He was fifty-seven years of age and had been in the employ of the Erie since 1857. He was one of the most trusted employees on the road. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of this city and was highly esteemed by the members of that congregation. He was a prominent member in the railroad branch of the Y.M.C.A. He frequently acted as chaplain at the jail here when the regular chaplain was absent. His sudden death appalls his friends and late associates. PATRICULARS OF THE ACCIDENT Train 18, engine No. 260, on the Rochester division of the Erie, going east last Tuesday morning with Ketchum as conductor, Frank Maynard, engineer, and March, fireman, while about one mile east of Avoca and going at the high rate of speed around a sharp curve, gollided with the mail train, No. 107, engine No. 67. John McMahon, conductor, Frank March, engineer, and Earnest, fireman, going west at 8:25 am, with a terrible crash. Engineer March and both firemen jumped, but Engineer Maynard, of Rochester, struck to his post and was instantly killed, his head being completelydsevered from his body, and being badly cut and disfigured. His body otherwise was not mutilated. Mail Agent James K. Butcher, of Avoca, saw the danger just in time to leap from his car as the engines came together and was badly bruised and drenched in the cold water of the creek they were just crossing. Both engines were totally demolished, the cabs, smoke stacks, domes and all other attachments torn off and scattered in every direction, while the forward ends of both boilers had raised high in the air until they stood directly on end, with their pilot and driving wheels together and firmly locked, presenting a strange sight. The tenders were smashed into small fragments; the mail car had the end completely stove in, but the car remained on the track, as did all the passenger cars. The baggage and express cars of the No. 18 left the track, and were badly broken up. The baggage-master had just gone into the passenger car for a drink, and was not much hurt. Express Messenger Bailey, of Elmira, was badly cut about the head, but will recover. Engineer Marsh and the fireman were badly shaken and bruised, owing in part to the track being elevated at this point. Conductor McMahon had his hand badly cut. Only two passengers were slightly injured. The contents of the mail, baggage and express cars were mostly saved. Immediately after the accident nearly the entire village of Avoca bastened on the scene to render such assistance ass needed. Coroner Sutton, of Bath, hurried to the scene and promptly empanelled a jury to inquire into the cause of the accident, who, after viewing the remains of Engineer Maynard, adjourned until Tuesday morning, January 24, at the court house in Bath. The accident was caused by Train Dispatcher Sourbier, of Avoca, giving wrong orders, which he discovered too late to remedy. Express Messenger Hall, of Elmira, escaped with only a sprained ankle; William Gilmore, brakeman, had a rib broken. Fireman March, of engine No. 260, is the son of Engineer Marsh.

In a recent letter to her mother Mary, inclosed the following poem, written by herself, and entitled " Last Moments of the Young Christian Mother:"

I know that I am dying, Now bring my children dear, For soon my spirit flying Will leave them lonely here. Yes, bring my children to me. I'd see them here once more Before the angels bear me To yonder shining shore. Now, bring these Bibles nearer, And let me give each child a book to make life dearer, A treasure undefiled. And may its words of kindness Awaken faith and love, Remove all earthly blindness, And lead each child above. Oh, let it be a token, All earthly clouds to lift, And only this be spoken, And mother's dying gift. FROM YOUR DAUGHTER MATTIE

A West Virginia tombstone bears this inscription: "Some have children and some have none, Here lies the mother of thirty-one."

-Louisa, wife of A.J. McCarrick of Canton, died Monday, aged forty-seven years. She had a husband but no children.


Mrs. Harriet Culp, One of the Oldest Settlers, Passes Away From Earth.

Mrs. Harriet Culp, one of the oldest settlers of this city, and one of the most highly regarded also, died Wednesday morning at the residence corner of East Second and Washington Streets. Mrs. Culp, was born in 1800, and so was eighty-nine years of age. She was born in what is now the city of Elmira, although the settlement was then known as Newtown, and was the time of her death undoubtedly the oldest person living who was born in that city. Her mother as the first child ever trod the soil of this country, and all her relatives of her younger days were identified with the civilizing and improvement of this part of the state. Mrs. Culp's mother was the oldest daughter of Colonel Hondy, the historical pioneer of this section. Mrs. Culp had a most retentive memory that continued clear and unclouded to the end, and she was well informed on the early history of the county. An hour with her when in reminiscent mood was most pleasantly and profitably spent, especially if the hearer was interested in the early history of the county, and recital of the growth of the present city Elmira from a clearing in wilderness.. She was a good woman, and the community sustained a loss when she died. The funeral was held Friday afternoon at the residence of Guy Brown, 407 DeWitt Street. The interment was in the Second Street cemetery.


His Death Occurred at the Arnot-Ogden Hospital, Friday

William Carlton Seeley died at the Arnot-Ogden hospital, Friday. Death was caused by Bright's disease of the kidneys. His age was forty-two years. He was the eldest son of the late Morris Seeley, a commission merchant, of this city. The diseased was an exemplary man in many respects. The funeral was held from the residence of A.S. Carter, at No. 964 Walnut Street, yesterday afternoon, at 3 o'clock, Reverend Thomas K. Beecher officiated. The remains were interred in Woodland cemetery.


The death of this respected resident of our village, which occurred on Wednesday evening, September 14th, was briefly noted in last week's ADVOCATE. Since that time the following additional facts have been furnished us, and will be of interest to deceased's numerous friends and acquaintances. David Crumb was born at Stonington, Mass., September 21st, 1815, and consequently lacked but one week of being eighty-three years old at the time of his death. From Massachusetts he went to New York, where he resided for a time, removing in 1841 to Jackson township, Tioga Co., PA, where the remainder of his life was spent. In 1841 was married to Miss Elizabeth Holton, and to them were born six children. One of these , Mary Jane, died in childhood. Those who survive him are Rueben Crumb, of Roseville; David and Edgar, of Cedar Run, Lycoming county; Levi, of Mansfield, and Mrs. J.C. Cunningham, of Smethport, McKean county. All these, with members of their respective families, were present at the funeral. The aged wife survives her life partner of so many years, and as descendants of the family there are nineteen grand children and nineteen great-grandchildren. Deceased had been a member of the M.E. Church for sixty-eight years, and was noted as a consistent Christian. He was a good citizen, an agreeable neighbor, and was thoroughly deserving of the general respect and esteem I which he was held. A brief service was held at the home Saturday forenoon, after which the remains were conveyed to Job's Corners, followed by a procession of our villagers and others, where funeral services were held at the church, after which the interment took place in the adjacent cemetery. The funeral was in charge of undertaker Monroe Miller, of this village, Reverend Easton, of Daggart, delivering an appropriate sermon.


Frank M. Osman died Tuesday, March 31, 1896, after a short illness, aged 17 years, 6 months and 28 days. He was the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Osman, of Wells, Pa. The funeral service was held at the church on Thursday, April 2, at 11 o'clock, Reverend M. H. Dunham officiating. The subject of this notice was one of our best young men; although quit and unassuming; yet he won the respect and esteem of all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance. It was said of him that those who know him best loved him most. Frank will be greatly missed by his many friends; but oh, the sad hearts at home! Just as father and mother began to feel that they had strong arm to lean upon in their declining years, the ruthless hand of death came and snatched him away. In this their sad affliction they have the sympathy of all. May the Lord lead the parents and the children that are left to Him who came to bind up the broken hearted.

-On Thursday of last week Professor L.W. Hallett, of this village, received a telegram containing the news that his father had died that morning at his home at Hapersville, NY. Mr. Hallett was a highly respected citizen, but for many years had been totally blind and unable to care for himself through the infirmities of age. He was seventy-nine years old. The funeral was held at Harpersville last Saturday.

DAVID CUNNINGHAM, formerly of Jackson, but of the past twelve or fifteen years of this borough, died at his home Academy Street early last Saturday morning, aged about 70 years. Deceased had been ailing for some time. The funeral was held on Sunday, the Reverend Paul Smith officiated. The remains were taken to Maple Ridge, in Jackson, for burial.---- Mansfield Advertiser

CALEB SWAYZE, editor of the Wisconsin Pinery, died July 8th at Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Deceased was born in New Jersey in 1883 and has been proprietor of the Pinery since 1857. He was never married, and his estate, valued at $15,000, goes to Eastern relatives. He was an occasional visitor in this section, and called at the ADVOCATE office on his last Eastern trip. Deceased was a relative of the Swayzes in Wells, Pa.

(Gillett) Mrs. PHOEBE C. GILLETT, wife of the Honorable J. F. Gillett, died at her home at Gillett, Pa, Monday, aged seventy-two years. She had been a member of the Baptist Church at that place for the last forty years, leading the life of a Christian, blameless and without reproach, a kind and loving mother and a true friend. She leaves a husband and three daughters, Mrs. George Dunham, of Gillett, Pa; Mrs. P. L. Pettengill, of Elmira and Mrs. C. T. Finch, of Elmira, besides four brothers, John Moore, living in the west; Thomas Moore, of Fassett's; S.T. Brown, of Ashland and Cyrus Burke, of Fassett's, and one sister, Emeline Reed, of Elmira. ---Troy, Pa, Gazette

Mrs. WM. BORTLE, died at her home near State Line last Saturday, after a lingering illness, aged about 42 years, and the funeral was held Monday at the house; burial at Sagetown. The family removed from Caton to the Updike house, State Line, last spring.



Binghamton, N. Y. - Feb. 5. - Monday afternoon at 4 o'clock Dr. George A. Thayer, ex-mayor of this city, while at the home of Samuel Thompson, corner of Evans and West Street wither he had been summoned to attend Samuel N. Thompson, Jr., who had been injured at Weed's tannery, suddenly throw up his hands and expired. The news of his sudden death shocked our citizens and caused an universal expression of regret. During the day he had been seen at his office and upon the streets, looking the picture of health with apparently many years of usefulness in our midst before him; So suddenly was he called that he seemed to step from the scenes of a busy life on to the invisible golden bridge that spans from life to eternity, and had crossed to the endless bou?ne before it could be realized that his great, generous heart that had throbbed for humanity has ceased its work and the machinery of the body stood still. Dr. Thayer's death, while it erased no name from the nations scroll of fame, blotted out a shining name that was endeared to every man, woman and child in the city.


An Old and Respected Lady Who died Sunday Night

Mrs. Annie Jones, the mother of H.B. Jones, died at 6:30 o'clock, Sunday evening at the home of her son, 154 Washington Street, at the age of ninety-four years. Mrs. Jones was born in Bainbridge, N.Y., September 7, 1795, and for many years was a resident of Elmira. Fifteen years ago Mrs. Jones became totally blind and she went to live with her son, at whose hands she received the tenderest care during the years that have passed since her affliction came upon her. With the exception of her blindness Mrs. Jones retained her faculties to remarkable degree. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. W. P. Moore of Walton, Delaware County, N.Y., and Mrs. Wolcott of Glidden, Ia., and one son, Henry of this city.


Death of Mrs. Hannah B. Southworth, The Slayer of Pettus

NEW YORK, Jan. 7, -----Mrs. Hannah B. Southworth, the slayer of Pettus, died in her cell at the Tombs at 6:15 o'clock this morning. The woman's mother and two brothers were with her when she died. The cause of death primarily was heart failure and general debility. The woman's body was wasted away almost to a skeleton. She died peacefully.


The Head of a Family Dies of the Disease After Burying Two Children

C. F. Horton, a teamster, who has been in the employ of John Austin, a mason and contractor, died yesterday at his home, 509½ Fulton Street. Mr. Horton buried two children within a month of his own death, and finally contacted and died from diphtheria, the disease which took his children. The troubles of this family have been very severe, and the sympathy of the neighborhood where the Horton's have lived goes out to the survivors of the little family. Mr. Horton was a hard working, industrious man and respected by his neighbors. He was nearly 38 years old.


Almerion Lariew, a well-known and respected resident of Elmira, died at his home, No. 811 East Church Street, Monday morning. Mr. Lariew had been in poor health for sometime past but on the evening before his death he had walked out on the street and his death was unexpected. He was sixty-two years old. The funeral was held at the house Friday afternoon.


Oh, God! can it be Our mother is no more; That she has crossed the river of death To that bright, eternal shore.

Oh, mother, you have left us, Your family, all alone; And the day that draws to grieve us Waiting for that which will never come.

She was a kind mother, So affectionate and true; Enough for her family of children She thought she could never do.

God pity her lonely family, To them she is a loss; God comfort her poor soul, And help her bear her cross.

Then weep not for your mother, children, She is where all trouble will cease; Weep not, dear children, for God knows best.


An Old and Respected Resident of Elmira Who died Monday Morning

Miss Catherine Sly died early Monday morning at her home on Maple Avenue. The TELEGRAM of last Sunday reported her condition as extremely critical, and the news of her death Monday morning, did not find the majority of people unprepared for the announcement, although the generally heard of it with extreme regret. Miss Sly was one of the oldest residents of this city, having been born in the house where her death occurred, about seventy-five years ago. She was not only born in the house but lived there all her life. The house is supposed to have been built originally, about 100 years ago, and it is a landmark. Miss Sly was one of the thirteen children of John and Mary Sly, who were among the first settlers in this valley, and at the death of her father Miss Sly inherited the greater share of his considerable property. She was a woman of many unostentations charities, and not a few of her kin will long remember her benefactions. Of her near relatives but a few are left. Mrs. Emily Locke, of this city, is a sister. Mrs. M. C. Spaulding and Mrs. Marianna Brushmore nieces, and John Sly Baldwin, a nephew are the nearest kin of the deceased. Miss Sly's father was one of the original and principal founders of the First Baptist Church , originally incorporated as the as the First Baptist Church of Southport and Elmira, and the Reverend Henry, of the church named conducted the services at the funeral which was held at 3 o'clock Wednesday afternoon.

--Rufus Chamberlin, an old resident of Jackson, died last Sunday night at his home on Alder Run, and the funeral was held Monday afternoon, interment being in Alder Run Cemetery. Mr. Chamberlin's wife, who was a sister of John Peters, the old-time hotel man, died several years ago and was buried in Millerton Cemetery; but it is said that the remains will be exhumed and laid by the side of her husband. Mr. Chamberlain leaves on son, John Chamberlain, no other relatives residing in this section. He has been in failing health for a long time, and his death was therefore a happy release from suffering.

Mrs. George Gosper, of Southport, died last Saturday of consumption, and the funeral and burial took place at Webb's Mills Monday.

--A. B. Hathaway, a highly respected resident of Mosherville, died at four o'clock Wednesday morning, December 21st, of pneumonia, after an illness of only a week, aged about seventy years. Mr. Hathaway was a cooper by trade and an old-time resident of that section, noted for his honesty and integrity. He was a good citizen, an accommodating neighbor, and was in every way worthy of the high regard in which he was held. Deceased was an old member of Wells Lodge, I.O.O. F., in which he held many offices of honor and trust, and was also a war veteran and prominent member of Deming Past, G. A. R., of this village, having served in Captain Judson's company, attached to one of the Pennsylvania infantry regiments during the civil war. He leaves a wife and daughter to mourn the loss of a devoted husband and father. The funeral will be held at Mosherville at 2 p.m. on Friday of this week, December 23rd, under the auspices of Wells Lodge and Deming Post. The members of said organizations being expected to turn out largely to assist in paying the last sad honors to their worthy brother and comrade

--John C. Cahill, died at the residence of his father at Lowmanville, N. Y., last Tuesday morning, after a brief illness aged twenty-two years and seven months. The deceased was the successor of G. ??? as station agent in this village last year, occupying the position for about six months, when he was relieved in January last by R. A. Mitchell, the present incumbent. While here he was noted for his accommodating disposition and quiet, gentlemanly deportment; and many will hear of his untimely death with sincere regret. The funeral was held yesterday from SS. 

THAT of Hon. William L. Muller's Daughter to Mr. Hunter

(from the New York World of Thursday evening last)

The white flag flying from the top of the Hotel Normandie, Wednesday as a wedding emblem and also denoted that our bachelor Governor was an inmate of the Hotel to attend a ceremony that many are hoping may only be a precursor of his own! The excitement about the hotel reached its climax about 2:30 o'clock then the wedding took place. The bride was Miss Ida Muller, daughter of Judge William L. Muller of the court of claims, the bridegroom being W. Sutherland Hunter of Philadelphia. The long banqueting room of the hotel was admirably adapted for the ceremony and was charmingly decorated. The bride looked lovely in her trailing white satin, with its front of fulled chiffon caught here and there with ostrich tips and enveloped in a filmy covering of tulle. She carried her white prayer book and a large bunch of fragrant colorless violets. Miss Kate A. Muller, her sister was the Maid of Honor. Miss Laura Adele McGeorge was the only bridesmaid. James Payton Hunter, a brother of the bridegroom was the best man. , the ushers being the Messers Henry Bell Gayley, Clayton Manning Sweet and Walter Abeel Underwood. The Rev. Dr. Greer, of St. Bartholomew's church, officiated. Judge Mulller gave his daughter away. Governor Hill and members of his staff some of the state officials, the respective families of the bride and bridegroom and a few intimate friends were grouped on either side of the aisle during the ceremony. An orchestra was imbedded in palms at the reception room on the right and near the end of the banqueting room. During the reception which followed the ceremony a fine collection was served by the chefs of the Hotel Normandie.

----MARRIED at Lindley, N.Y. Oct. 8, 1891, by Elder L. D. Ayers, Mr. Elisha Andrews and Miss Maria Smith, both of Jackson Pa.

----DR. Loughhead of Pine City, and Miss Jennie Fisk, of Troupsburg, were married Tuesday evening in the Methodist church at the latter place. They have the good wishes of numerous friends.

----MR. Samuel Knapp, of Gilletts, and Miss Edith Pellett of Wells, Bradford Co. Pa were married at Pine City, N.Y. on Wednesday of last week. _______started immediately after the ceremony _______a Western wedding tour.


Miss Carrie Grant United to Wealthy and Aristocratiic W. S. Calhoun.

Many Elmirans will remember a blackeyed, handsome young lady who officiated as stenographer in the law offices of the late Jacob Schwartz when they were located on East Water street. Her name was Miss Carrie L. Grant and she was related tot he Schwartz family of this city. She was a very pleasant, modest and cultured young lady and made many friends during her residence here. About four years ago she accepted a position as stenographer in the Murray Hill hotel, New York, where her winning manners soon made her a great favorite among the wealthy patrons of that caravansary. The sequel of Miss Grant's residence in that hotel is her recent romantic marriage with a wealthy Chicagoian, who is at the head of a large mining company and is reputed to be worth several millions. His name is William S. Calhoun and he is a descendant of the proud and eminent family of John C. Calhoun, of South Carolina, a family whose blood is the purest and bluest of any of the great south. It was Mr. Calhoun's ancestor whose memorable record in the United States senate made him the idol of the southern people. The marriage of Miss Grant to Mr. Calhounis tinged with romance, although she was in every way deserving of the hand and heart of her wealthy lover. It is said that their acquaintance came about when Mr. Calhoun was lying ill and near death's door in the Murray Hill hotel where Miss Grant sent flowers to his sick room and extended other little feminine courtesies that so pleased him that later on, when he returned to health, he proferred her his love, which was accepted by the young lady. The announcement of her marriage was a surprise to many Elmirans, but they will send their heartiest good speeds and good wishes to her in her most happy union with a man of such wealth and promise.

----A man living in Bucks county was born February 22 and married on February 22 to a woman born on February 22. Their five children have also each been born on February 22. Father George should feel honored.


COVINGTON, Pa. March 3.-----The wedding of Miss Kittie Hoagland to William Johnson of Troy Pa, occurred yesterday afternoon at the home of the bride in this boro. A large number of invited guests were present. The happy couple left yesterday afternoon on Erie train No. 106, for a short bridal trip. They will reside at Troy.

-----LULU Coates, daughter of Mrs. Helen Pierce, died at her home on Parkhurst street , after a long illness of hemorrage of the bowels, at 12 o'clock last. The interment took place to-day; no funeral on account of the serious illness of her mother and sister.------Elkland Journal.


George H. Shepherd was for many years a resident of Wells, PA. and had numerous friends and acquaintances throughout this section. As a matter of interest to them we copy the following item from the Oakland (Cal) Daily Evening Tribune of April 9th 1892.

The death of George H. Shepherd occurred this morning at 1301 Franklin St. The deceased was very well known in this city where he had resided for some time. He was the father of L.F. Shepherd, the artificial stone walk contractor, at whose residence he died. The funeral will be held tomorrow at 4 p.m. and the interment will be private. The deceased was 73 years , 2 months and 21 days of age.

Mr. Shepherd was born Jan. 19th 1810 at Bainbridge, N.Y. He removed to Wells, Bradford County, Pa, while a young man and married Miss Charlotte Capron, sister of Myron Capron, a well known resident of that place. Mrs. Shepherd died in 1856. Mr. Shepherd leaves one daughter-Mrs. Jas. K. Ingalls of Lakeville, Ore.---and two sons; W.E. Shepherd of New York City and L.F. Shepherd, of Oakland Cal. A private letter from the latter informs as that Mr. Shepherd had been sick but about a week or ten days with congestion of the lungs and was getting better when other complications arose, requiring a surgical operation. His very weak condition, together with the shock to his nerves and the congestion were to great a combination to combat successfully, age being also against him. Mr. Shepherd was well and favorably known throughout the Northern part of Bradford and Tioga counties and during his residence of nearly fifty years had formed numerous warm friendships. He was a close friend of Dr. N. Smith, of this place, who knew him intimately. Deceased often spoke of the doctor in terms of high regard during his last illness. Mr. Shepherd had been living for the past four years on his ranch near Lukeville, Oregon, but went to Oakland about six months ago on a visit, where his death occurred as noted.

Mr and Mrs Rory Moore, of Elmira mourn the loss of their second and only child from membraneous croup. The little one was aged one year and four months and died Tuesday. The loss is a particularly sad one for the parents, the other child having died from diphtheria only a month ago. The body was brought to Webb's Mills for burial.


A Prominent Penn Yan Gentleman who died Thursday Morning

Penn Yan N.Y., May 7-------General Samuel S. Ellsworth, one of Penn Yan's most prominent citizens, died at 2 o'clock Thursday morning from an internal hemorrhage. General Ellsworth was a brother-in-law of General Magee, having married Hebe Magee. Under Governor Tilden, General Ellsworth was quartermaster-general of the state. He was one of the trustees of the Syracuse, Geneva and Corning railroad named in the will of the late John Magee. He was interested financially in a number of the leading enterprises of this place, among them the Lake Keuka Ice company, Penn Yan Wheel company and S.S. Ellsworth & Co. Two sons, John Magee and Duncan Stewart survive him, both of whom are at present in New Haven, Conn. One attending and other preparing for Yale university. The rooms of the Ellsworth hose company, which was named after the deceased are draped with mourning.

A sad and distressing accident happened near Ansonia, Friday morning. At that time Addie and Earl Fowler aged respectively eight and four years were drowned in Marsh Creek. The bodies were found forty rods from where they fell in, clasped tightly together. There were no witnesses to the accident, but from marks on the bank it is supposed the little boy fell in first and his sister in trying to rescue him, lost her footing. A portion of the bank had caved where the little feet made their last impression. Mrs. Fowler has been sick for a long time, and is totally prostrated by the shock. The father is employed in the lumber woods away from home.


At the Hotel Liverpool in Paris last night. Paris: April 26------William Astor died last night at the Hotel Liverpool. The cause was heart failure. Mr. Astor was the father of Mrs. J. Coleman Drayton and was greatly worried over the Borrowe-Fox-Millbank scandal, in which she was involved. Next to his nephew, William Waldorf Astor , and probably Jay Gould, William Astor was the richest citizen of America. His wealth was recently estimated at $50,000,000 or $60,000,000, the greater part of which is invested in New York real estate. William Astor was the father of the present John Jacob Astor and grandson of the original John Jacob Astor. It is a curious coincidence that the late John Jacob Astor, William Astor's elder brother, also died from heart failure.

The late William Astor leaves a widow, one son and two married daughters. John Jacob Astor, his son, was married to Miss Willing of Philadelphia more than a year ago. Two of Mr. Astor's daughters now living are Mrs. Orme Willson and Mrs. Coleman Drayton.

While William Astor was very wealthy, he was not reputed to be nearly as rich as his elder brother, John Jacob Astor, whose wealth descended to the present William Waldorf Astor. Mrs. William Astor has long been prominent in New York society and held for many years the undisputed place of its leader.

-----Mrs. Henry VanNess, one of the oldest residents of Rutland is reported seriously ill. She is 92 years of age.

----John Daily, an employee in the Elmira Bridge Works, was instantly killed while trying to remove some iron to a certain part of the building last Saturday and a companion seriously injured. This is the second one in one week, in which two men have lost their lives. When Mr. Daily was released his head was crushed and his hat filled with blood.

Miller -Lowe

At the home of Mrs. Edmund Miller on Maple avenue Thursday evening her daughter Pamelia was united in marriage to Francis Lowe, of Washington D.C. The ceremony performed by the Rev. Thomas K. Beecher was witnessed by about 100 guests. An elaborate wedding supper was served. The couple left the same evening for a trip to the Thousand Islands.



Professor F.J. Hager, one of the most widely known and talented musicians of this city, died very suddenly infront of the residence of the late Dr. P.H. Flood, Monday afternoon. Mr Hager had been under the doctor's care for two or three weeks previous to his sudden death, but his condition was not considered serious, nor had he been confined to his house at any time. He was told by his physician, Dr. Pratt, that he had heart disease, but death came without warning. Professor Hager was within a few weeks of fifty-six years of age. He was a native of Garos (Gams-? Illegible) Switzerland, and came to this country twenty three years ago. He was a graduate of a prominent musical conservatory in that city and was a thoroughly accomplished musician. Since he came to Elmira he has been at the head of several musical organizations and was at one time the chief officer of the Elmira Saegerbund. He was a gentleman of culture, refined and genial, and won many warm friends in this city, whose hearts were saddened at his sudden demise. His afilicted and sorrowing family, who were thrown into well-nigh inconsolable grief, is composed of a wife and two daughters, Ida and Emma and one son, Arnold. At the time of his death he was the organist of St. John's German Catholic Church, and was instructing several large classes on the piano and violin, of which he was a master. Professor Hager's death is a loss to the musical circles of Elmira not easily replaced. He had not an enemy in the world, but all who knew him loved him, and all sincerely mourned as his gentle spirit took its upward flight to join the music of the spheres beyond this vale of sorrow.


The funeral services over the remains of the late Professor F.J.Hager, were held at the family residence Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock. The services were in charge of the Odd Fellows and Rev. W. E. Wright, of Grace church, was the officiating clergyman. The floral offerings were beautiful and profuse. A beautiful floral _______was contributed by the ___________Society, a pillow of _________from the family and a _______set piece from the professor's class in music. The _______was in W_________ cemetery.

Typist note: Sorry for the blank spaces, words in clipping were illegible.

----- Mrs. Jennie Hager, wife of Hiram Hager, died at her home in Elmira last Monday, aged 52 years. Mr. And Mrs Hager were originally from this county and the body was taken to Lamb's Creek Tuesday for burial.

-----Mrs. Anna Robbins, wife of Levi Robbins of Sullivan died at the residence of a brother Lorenzo Doud, in Covington last Saturday morning. Mrs. Robbins had been in poor health for a year past, but it was hoped was improving. She went to Covington on Thursday of last week for a visit and the news of her sudden death was a sad surprise. Deceased was a devoted wife and mother, and was beloved by a large circle of warm friends. She leaves a husband, two daughters and a son to mourn their irreparable loss. She was a sister of the late Mrs. H. T. Graves of this village and Mrs. W. W. Bloss, of Webb's Mills, and in addition to the brother at whose home she died had two sisters in Covington -Mrs. A. Redfield and Mrs. J. L. Kiff. The funeral was held in the Disciples Church, at Mainsburg last Monday, Rev. M.C.Park officiating. His sermon from the text, "_______ us to number our days that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom," was appropriate and impressive. The interment was in Mainsburg cemetery.

-----Mr and Mrs Uriah Kelly, of this village, mourn the loss of an infant son, aged about nine months, who died last Sunday morning of meningitis. The funeral was held at the M.E.Church on Monday and the body was taken to Kelly Hill for burial. Mr. And Mrs Kelly are deeply grateful for assistance and sympathy in their trouble.

-----An infant son of Mr. And Mrs. Weldon Kelly of Kelly Hill, died last Friday night aged a little over one year. The child had been afilicted from birth with a spinal complaint, and its death, although sincerely mourned, is a happy release from suffering.

------Orlando S. Rumsey, one of the oldest residents of Mainsburg, died last week Thursday, aged 77 years. He was the last survivor of a large family and was prominently identified with the history of that part of the county.

-----W. M. Woodside, a champion bicyclerider who resided at Blossburg for a time, died recently at Rio Janeiro, Brazil, of yellow fever.

m-----Eugene Hammond to May B. McCallum

m-----W____m Cooper to Jane Beall

m-----Ph______Moore to Hattie DePew

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 14 OCT  98
By Joyce M. Tice