The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Forty One
From the Cook Scrapbook-

Copied from a copy in possession of Kelsey Jones. Retyped by Nancy Young & Carlton Wolfe. THIS PAGE is arranged in random scrapbnook order. While I know (the computer database knows) the real names of many of the women, I have not had time to look themup yet, and so have not attempted to put his is any order. 

HATCH-CRISS Miss Dorothea Criss, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Criss and Arthur Hatch, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Hatch, both of Valois, were married Tuesday, Nov. 13th, at Watkins by Rev. Arthur B. Herr The young couple were unattended. Congratulations and the best wishes of the Community are extended. At present they are residing at the home of the groom's parents. 1924.

Married in Millerton Millerton, Pa., April 29.--Miss M. Almira Spencer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Spencer, and James H. Slocum were married at the home of the bride's parents, Wednesday, by the Rev. Mr. Gordon in the presence of their intimate relatives. Mr. and Mrs. Slocum left on a wedding trip to points in the southern part of the state.

Mr. and Mrs. Asa Wilcox, of Mosherville, have announced the marriage of their daughter, Mary, to Thomas Winthrop Johns, for Dec. 8th. The many friends of Miss Wilcox consider Mr. Johns a very fortunate man as she is a young lady capable of filling any position in life.

CRISS-KINNER Wednesday evening at 7 o'clock at the parsonage of the Epworth M. E. Church, Miss Agatha M. Criss of Pine City and E. M. Kinner of 165 Woodlawn avenue, were united in marriage. The Rev. John V. Darrow performed the ceremony using the ring service. Mr. and Mrs. John Wheeler attended the couple.

BELDING-GRINNELL Mr. and Mrs. Sherman W. Belding of Albany have announced the marriage of their daughter, Miss Ruth Hutchings Belding and Carroll C. Grinnell of Schenectady, son of Mr. and Mrs. Stowell E. Grinnell of Pleasant street this city, which took place Saturday afternoon, October 9, at 4 o'clock at the home of the bride's parents. The Rev. Thomas R. Good, pastor of the Clark Avenue Presbyterian Church, Schenectady, performed the ceremony in the presence of a number of relatives$and friends. Mr. and Mrs. Grinnell will be at home at No. 322 Van Branken avenue, Schenectady, after October 25. The bride is a graduate of the Albany School of Fine Arts. Mr. Grinnell is very well known in this city. After his graduation from the E. F. A. he went to Union College, where he graduated in 19--(couldn't read). He now holds a responsible (nothing more on page).

SWAYZE--YOUELL Miss Lela Swayze, of Daggett, Pa., and the Rev. H. H. Youell, of the Central New York Methodist conference, were united in marriage on Wednesday evening at the home of the bride, by the Rev. William H. Giles, of Cazenovia, N. Y. After their wedding trip, Rev. and Mrs. Youell will reside in Freetown, N. Y.

License Is Issued for Marriage to Mrs. Galt--Keeping Details of Arrangements Secret. Washington, Dec. 17.--President Wilson's marriage license was issued yesterday at the local municipal bureau. It disclosed for the first time that the ceremony Saturday night will be performed by a clergyman of Mrs. Galt's faith, the Rev. Herbert Scott Smith, rector of St. Margaret's Episcopal Church. The President himself is a Presbyterian and an elder in his church. The license was issued to Chief Usher Hoover of the White House staff, who went to the bureau, made out the necessary forms and paid the regular fee. Afterward he delivered the document to the President. In the application the President's age was given as fifty-nine years and Mrs. Galt's as forty-three. WEDDING AT MRS. GALT'S HOME. The wedding ceremony will be performed at Mrs. Galt's home Saturday night, probably about 9 o'clock, although the hour has not been announced, in keeping of the desire of the couple to have the affair strictly a private one. It has not been disclosed where the bride and groom will go on their honeymoon journey or when they will leave the capital. Their plans have been carefully made to avoid publicity. The general impression among friends, however, is that the honeymoon will be spent somewhere in the south. Pass Christian, Miss., where the President has spent some of his vacation$time, has been among the places mentioned. It seems to be settled that the wedding journey will not me made on the presidential yacht Mayflower, as was once contemplated. It was decided that (nothing more on page).

Fred Smith, a popular young resident of Seeley Creek, and Miss Bertha Shepard, one of Mosherville's fairest daughters, were united in the silken bonds of matrimony last week. Their host of friends will wish for them a long life of happiness and prosperity.

There is to be a wedding soon at Mosherville. Miss Jennie Grinnell, daughter of Griff. Grinnell, and William Knapp, son of Morris Knapp, are the happy parties. The many friends of this worthy couple are tendering their best wishes.

Clarence Carley and Miss Bertha Sedinger were united marriage at State Line on Christmas day by Rev. A. H. Youell, of Daggett. Miss Lena Wilson, of Jackson Center, and Ernest Garrison, of Job's Corners, were present.

The first wedding of the year took place last week when Otto Criss, owner of the merry- go-round, and Dorothy Dale Howard were married by the Methodist ministers here.

ENGAGEMENT ANNOUNCED Mr. and Mrs. A. D. Corwin of Bonview street announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss Gladys, to Durland C. Daggett of this city. The marriage will take place in August.

MISS MABEL LENA UP DYKE AND ARTHUR RICHARD EDWARDS WEDDED IN THEIR NEW HOME. In their cozy new home, 737 West First Street, last evening, Miss Mabel Lena Up Dyke and Arthur Richard Edwards were united in marriage by Rev. Samuel E. Eastman, pastor of The Park Church. The home, already tastefully furnished, was further beautified by palms, ferns, feathery vines and flowers. The ceremony took place at 8 o'clock and was witnessed by about sixty relatives and friends of the young couple. Miss Blanche Metzger played the wedding march. The bride was gowned in white silk, en train, trimmed with shirred chiffon and liberty satin streamers. Miss Susie hall of Rochester, the bridesmaid, was attired in white dotted silk mull, over pink taffeta, en train, her bouquet being of pink roses. William Henry Gilbert was best man. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards left late in the evening on their wedding journey. Many beautiful gifts were received by the bride, who was a student at Elmira College School of Music. Mr. Edwards is a buyer for the S. F. Iszard Company. At home cards are for after June 1.

BREWER--SMITH Friday afternoon at the parsonage of the Epworth M. E. church, the Rev. John Darrow united in marriage, Miss Helen Margaret Brewer and Raymond Friends Smith, both of Millerton, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Brewer, parents of the bride, were the only attendants. The bride was most becoming in a gown of grey crepe de chine with a matching hat. After a short trip to Towanda, Pa., Mr. and Mrs. Smith will make their home in Millerton.

Married, at State Line, N. Y., May 21, 1899, by Rev. John Van Kirk, Mr. John H. Impson, of Jackson Summit, and Miss Alda B. Sisson, of Coryland, Pa.

H. C. Morrell, of Seely Creek was on Tuesday united in marriage with Miss Fannie Fish, of Tioga. The wedding took place at the home of the bride, the ceremony being performed by Rev. Thomas, pastor of the Episcopal church.

On Thursday, Nov. 24th, at the home of the bride, 408 West Third street, Elmira, Mr. L. W. Garrison, a well-known and prominent resident of Jackson, was united by marriage to Mrs. S. E. Dunning of Elmira, Rev. David Keppel officiating. Mrs. Garrison will remain in Elmira for the present to care for her father, who is in feeble health. The happy couple have the ADVOCATE'S hearty congratulations.

A very pretty June wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. George Paine, the bride's parents, near Jackson Summit on Wednesday last, the 19th inst., at which time Mr. Bert Matthews and Miss Alice Pain, both of this township, were made one, Rev. Paul Smith officiating. About thirty-five guests were present, who gave the happy couple an enthusiastic send-off on their wedding tour, which will embody a visit to the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo, followed by a trip to Chicago and Wisconsin, the former home of the groom, from whence they expect to return n August. The ADVOCATE joins with the young couple's numerous friends in tendering hearty congratulations and good wishes.

On Wednesday of last week, June 14th, one of Jackson's most deservedly esteemed resi- dents, Mr. W. Eugene Deming, and Miss Sarah Margaret Johnson, of Caton, N. Y., were united in marriage at State Line, N. Y., Rev. J. Van Kirk officiating. Mr. Deming is a leading member of Deming Post, G. A. R., whose good fortune in securing a worthy helpmeet will cause general satisfaction among his old comrades, by whom he is greatly respected as a veteran with a noble record of service in one of Pennsylvania's most famous fighting regiments, the 58th P.V. The bride is very highly spoken of as a most estimable lady. We wish for Mr. and Mrs. Deming a long life of happiness and continued prosperity.

The marriage of Mrs. Jennie S. Woodworth to P. W. McStay took place Thursday afternoon at the home of her sister, Mrs. Giles Bly, No. 523 Pennsylvania Avenue, Elmira. The ceremony was performed by Rev. H. S. Southall, of Centenary church. After visiting the scenes of their childhood here, Mr. and Mrs. McStay will return to their home at Los Angeles, Cal., where Mr. McStay has large interests.

GARRISON--PHILLIPS The marriage of Miss Carrie May Garrison and William Ernest Phillips both of Tioga, Pa., took place October 28 in Roseville, Pa. The Rev. Hess of the Methodist Church performed the ceremony. The couple was unattended. Mr. and Mrs. Phillips are residing in Tioga, Pa., having returned from their wedding trip to Buffalo, Niagara Falls and points in Canada. The bride has many friends in this city who extend best wishes.

TANNER-MILES Rev. C. C. Crawford united Miss Edith Tanner and Charles Miles both of this city in marriage last Wednesday evening. Mr. and Mrs. Miles will reside at the corner of Colburn and South Walnut Streets.

Married, at Lindley, N. Y., Sept. 14, 1902, by Rev. C. H. Crowl, of Tioga, Mr. F. O. Hilfiger and Miss Ema L. Webster, both of Job's Corners, Pa.

Miss Mabel Adams, daughter of Leroy Adams of 510 W. Fitch street, and Edwin A. Ferguson, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Ferguson of West Second street, were united in marriage Saturday in the parsonage of the Hedding Methodist Church. The Rev. E. E. Merring, pastor of the church, performed the ceremony. The bride was gowned in a beautiful turquoise blue georgette dress, and wore a white taffeta hat. She carried Bride roses and sweet peas. Miss Elsie Mason was her only attendant. She wore pink georgette, with hat to match, and carried sweet peas. Burgess Cowan was the best man. Directly after the ceremony a delicious wedding breakfast was served to the immediate families of the couple at the home of the bride's father. Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson left for a honey- moon to New York and Boston. They will be at home to their friends after ten days at 510 Fitch street. Among the out-of-town guests were Mrs. D. D. Oliver and daughter, Miss Mildred, of Gillette. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson are very popular in the city. Mrs. Ferguson was a student of the Elmira Free Academy, where she was a member of the Kelvin Scientific Society. She also is a graduate of Meeker's Business Institute. For the past few years she has been stenographer for the Mutual Life Insurance company and for H. M. Haskell, architect. Mr. Ferguson was also a member of the Kelvin Scientific society at the Academy. He is employed at the LeVally-McLeod-Kinkaid company. 

MISS WILSON TO BECOME THE BRIDE OF SEC'Y M'ADOO? Persistent Rumors Concern Another White House Wedding--Treasury Head Does Not Deny It. Washington, March 12.--Prospects of another White House wedding became more definite when the pevsistent renewal of the report that Secretary of the Treasury McAdoo and Miss Eleanor Randolph Wilson, youngest daughter of the President and Mrs. Wilson, were engaged, the marriage to take place in June. There was nodannouncement from the White House and Secretary McAdoo himself said it would be indelicate for him to comment on the subject. Mr. McAdoo is fifty years old while Miss Wilson is twenty-four. He is a widower and has six children. Recently a grandson was born to his eldest daughter in Arizona. Mr. McAdoo knew the Wilson family before his entry into the cabinet.

ESTHER CLEVELAND WILL WED BRITON WHO WEARS "D.S.O" Jackson Summit, Pa., June 27.--Miss Anna M. Barrett, daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. S. Barrett, and Andrew J. Dickinson, of Elmira, were united in marriage Monday, June 24, at the bride's home. They were attended by Melvin A. Barrett, a brother of the bride, and Miss Martha Dickinson, a sister of the groom. The ceremony was performed by the father of the bride under an arch of laurel blossoms. After the ceremony a three-course dinner was served. Guests were present from Blossburg, Halliday, Sylvania East Troy and Canoe Camp. A large number of beautiful presents were received.

RACING CARS STRIKE HORSE Mrs. Ray Strock of Pine City reported to Sheriff Brickwedde this morning that on Tuesday night when she and her two children, 13 and 14 years old, were proceeding on what is known as the Mud Lick Road towards town, two automobiles, apparently racing each other, appeared and drove the team she was driving into the ditch. One of the cars, driven, according to Mrs. Strock, by Harold Taylor of Sagetown and who was accompanied by several other young men, struck one of the horses, injuring it seriously.

SEELEY--Miss Polly Seeley died at her home in Northwest Jackson Monday night at an advanced age. Deceased was an old and respected resident of Jackson, whose many friends will learn of her death with sincere regret. The funeral was held at the home Thursday at 11 a.m.

Mr. and Mrs. Herbert M. Daggett, of 306 East Second street will celebrate their golden wedding anniversary Monday, December 15. It was half a century ago, in Parishville, St. Lawrence county, this state, that Miss Myra Shepard Smith, age (couldn't read) and Herbert Martin Daggett, age (couldn't read) were united in marriage. In 1887 they moved to Elmira, where Mr. Daggett and S. C. Woodside bought the Tomlinson photo- graphic business, then located on Baldwin street. Later the Elmira Portrait Company was formed, the third member of the company being A. O. Adams, now of Cascade Locks, Ore., a brother-in-law of Mrs. Daggett. Some years later Mr. Daggett bought out this business, and until recently he conducted the well known Daggett Art Store. One year ago he sold out and retired from fusiness, since which time he has been con- tinuing in a modest way to sell pictures and make frames at his residence, 306 Second street. Mr. and Mrs. Daggett have always been actively identified with the Lake Street Presbyterian Church, where they have both taught Bible classes many years, and where Mr. Daggett waw for a long time superintendent of the Sunday school. They were pioneers in the temperance movement. Mrs. Daggett was county president of the W.C.T.U. for several years, and both have always been connected with every charity and movement for community betterment. Five children have been born to them, of which three are living: Mabel C. Daggett, a teacher of French in the Girls' High School, Brooklyn: H. Myron Daggett, purchasing agent for the United States Industrial Alcohol Company of New York City, and Gertrude E. Daggett, general secretary of the Y.W.C.A. of Lewiston, Maine. There is one grandchild, Eldred Herbert Daggett, 16 years of age, son of Myron and Jesie Eldred Daggett of New York City. It being impossible for the children to be home for a celebration of this golden wedding on the 15th of December, Mr. and Mrs. Daggett took a "Golden Wedding Trip" during the month of October, visiting their children in New York and Lewiston, and having "the time of their young lives," as Mr. Daggett so charac- teristically expresses it. Aside from Mr. Daggett's lameness, both Mr. and Mrs. Daggett are in excellent health and are radiating happiness to all those with whom they come in contact, as has been their wont throughout their long and useful lives. Browning's well known lines from "Rabbi Ben Ezra," seem particularly fitting to Mr. and Mrs. Daggett at this time: "Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made: Our times are in His hand Who saith, 'A whole I planned, Youth show but half; trust God; see all, nor be afraid.'"

Advertisement--MONROE MILLER, Millerton, PA., UNDERTAKER AND FUNERAL DIRECTOR With long experience in this line, the subscriber can guarantee satisfactory service. TWO FINE HEARSES AND A COMPLETE LINE OF COFFINS AND CASKETS. Embalming done after the most scientific methods. Charges reasonable in all cases. MONROE MILLER Millerton, Pa., May 13, 1893

Albert Wilson, of Elk Run, and Miss Dimmie Soper, of Austinville, a highly esteemed young couple, were married at Pine City, N. Y., July 4th, Rev. F. Sherer officiating. The bride was dressed in white cashmere and the groom in an appropriate and becoming suit. The wedding tour was brief, consisting of a few days spent in Elmira, after which they were warmly welcomed home by relatives and friends. They have our hearty congratula- tions and good wishes.

RECENTLY MARRIED (photo accompanied article) MRS. HOWARD E. VAIL The marriage of Miss Jennie Garrison and Howard G. Vail, both of this city, was solemnized Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock at the home of the former, 310 Dewitt avenue. The Rev. George Burroughs of Pine City performed the ceremony, using the ring service. Mr. and Mrs. Vail left for Rochester and Buffalo to spend their honeymoon and after June 15, will be "at home" at 310 Dewitt avenue.

MISS ETHLYN FAIRBANKS (photo accompanied article) Miss Fairbanks is a popular member of Elmira's younger set. She is interested actively in church work. Miss Fairbanks resides at 559 Coburn street and is a valuable employe of the American Sales Book Company.

Jennings-Slocum. "Eyes spake love to eyes; and all went merry as a marriage bell" at the lovely home of Mr. and Mrs. Willard Jennings of Wells, PA., when on October 14, 1903, their daughter, Lelia Katherine, was united in marriage to Harry Decker, second son of Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Slocum. The evening was very pleasant and nearly a hundred guests were present to witness the impressive ceremony. Precisely at seven o'clock the approach of the bride was signaled by the singing of "The Voice that Breathed O'er Eden" by Mrs. Ray Ayers after which Miss Beatrice Slocum played Mendelsohn's wedding march. The pretty bride, accompanied by her sister, Miss Grace Jennings, was beautifully dressed. Her dress was of white chiffon over which she wore a long veil and she carried a magnificent bouquet of white carnations. Under a tastefully arranged bower of ferns and autumn flowers she met the groom, who was attended by Herbert Jewell, and there the ceremony was performed by Rev. E. M. Mills, Presiding Elder of the Geneva District, who in less than ten minutes intro- duced to the gay and much interested company Mr. and Mrs. Harry Slocum. Following the ceremony a very sumptuous supper was served. A number of the choicest young ladies and gentlemen of the community acting as attendants. At 10 o'clock the happy pair left the home amidst the congratulations of a host of friends and admirers. The bride and groom are very estimable young people being of the leading families of the vicinity and are deservedly respected. Among the guests were Mrs. Roloson, who is eighty-nine years old, a great-aunt of the bride, Mr. and Mrs. E. Jennings, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Ayers, Mr. and Mrs. Decker Ayers, Mrs. Selaer Ayers, grandmother of the bride, Mr. and Mrs. Noah Kimball, Mr. and Mrs. Edward E. Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Wilson Ross, Mrs. Lucinda Johnson, Arthur Edwood, Miss Mabel Updike, Mr. and Mrs. James D. Ayers, Mr. and Mrs. F. L. Jennings, Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Armstrong, of Windsor, N.Y. The ushers were Messrs. Selaer Jennings and Jerome Eighmey. The young ladies who so skillfully and gracefully served supper were Misses Rose and Mabel Hogaboom, Belle Sornberger, Lela Swayze, Vivian Sheive, Neva Garrison. 

BARTHOLOMEW - A Well Known and Respected Resident Of Chemung County Passes Away. The soul of a good man passed from earth last Monday morning, when Peter Bartholomew died at Lockwood, NY, after several years of suffering, the immediate cause of death being dropsy. He was born at Mount Bethel, Northampton county, PA, on December 4, 1819, being the youngest son of Phillip Bartholomew, and was the only survivor of this once prominent family. He came with his father to Seeley Creek, NY, when but a lad of nine years, and ever since, with exception of the last few years, has claimed Chemung county as his home. On December 6, 1843, he was married to Mary, daughter of William T. Knapp, of Seeley Creek, NY. They resided on the Bartholomew homestead, at Seeley Creek, for many years, but in 1870 sold the property$and removed to Van Ettenville, NY, purclasing a large farm in that vicinity, where they lived until a few years ago, when business reverse and the failing health of Mr. Bartholomew compelled them to leave the farm, since which time they have resided with their children at different places. The deceased was a loving, thoughtful husband, a kind, indulgent father, an upright, Christian man, and died at a ripe old age universally esteemed and respected. He had been a member of the Methodist church for fifty years, and a very active, earnest worker, interesting himself in everything pertaining to the welfare and general up-building of Christ's cause, and if a life spent in the endeavor to follow the precepts of the golden rule, brings happiness in the unknown beyond, then Peter Bartholomew's reward must be such as is given to the chosen of God. The funeral services were held on Wednesday at 11 o'clock from the First M. E. church, at Van Etten, and was largely attended. It seemed fitting that he should be taken to this church for the last sad rites, as when it was built a few years ago, he acted as president of the building committee, and gave both time and money towards its construction. The Rev. J. H. Owen officiated and spoke very feelingly from these words: "Let me die the death of the righteous; let my last end and be like His." He was assisted in the services by Rev. Mr. Brown, of Lockwood, NY, after which the remains were borne to Mt. Hope cemetery and laid to rest. The following residents of Lockwood acted as pall-bearers: Messrs. Joseph Brally, George Brock, George Bingham and Truman Searles. The deceased leaves leaves besides his faithful wife, four daughters to mourn his loss, Mrs. Charles H. Buck, of Sugar Hill, Schuyler Co., NY; Mrs. Lewis Pelham, of Van Etten, NY; Mrs. John F. Sykes, of this city, and Mrs. John W. Clapp, of Lockwood.

HECKMAN - A Beloved Elmira Lady Called to Her Reward Last Week. In the death of his beloved wife, Hattie J. HECKMAN Rockwell, on Monday morning last, Hon. H. H. Rockwell is assured of the deep and sincere sympathy of the entire community, insufficient as it may be to dispel the dark shadow which has settled over his happy home life. Seldom does the city lose a lady of more beautiful character, consistent piety and charity and kindly and lovable personality than Mrs. Rockwell. Since removing to this city, thmrty-two years ago,she has constantly endeared herself to her many friends whom she made and whose death will be mourned as will that of few ladies in our community. Mrs. Rockwell was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Abram B. Heckman and was born in the town of Lansing, Tompkins county, February 17, 1841. Her parents later removed to Angelica, Allegany county, and in 1863 she came to Elmira with her sister, the late Mrs. Jackson Richardson. In September, 1871, she was married to Major Rockwell. There were three children born to them, only one of whom, Rena, is left with her father, to mourn the irreparable loss which has come up on them. She is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. D. Davenport, of Paw Paw, IL, and Mrs. William T. Riley, of Hailey, ID. For the past three years Mrs. Rockwell has been suffering with a chronic disease, but bore her sufferings with Christian faith and gentle resignation. The funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon, at 2 o'clock at her late home, No. 364 West Clinton street, Rev. Thomas K. Beecher officiating. The interment, which was in Woodlawn, was private.

(Longwell) - Mrs. Samuel K. Longwell died at her home in Rutland on Wednesday of last week, and was buried Friday at Lawrence Corners. She leaves a husband and two daughters- Mrs. John Strait, of Troy, and Mrs. H. H. Soper, of Roseville, the latter of whom was too sick to attend the funeral. Mrs. Longwell was beloved by all who knew her, and was a woman of much worth. The funeral sermon by Rev. Klucker from the text, "Who shall roll away the stone?" was very affecting and impressive."

HOYT - Henry Martin HOYT, the lawyer, soldier and statesman, and governor of Pennsylvania in 1879 to1882, died in Wilkesbarre three years ago to-day, or on December 1, 1892. He was born in 1830.

Mr. Fred MITCHELL and Miss Salina BUTTON, of Tioga, were married at Corning, Wednesday of last week, by Rev. H. C. Woods.

(Holly) - Mrs. Amelia Holly, mother of J. J. HOLLY, of Webbs Mills, and a most estimable lady, died at that place March 7, 1875, of pneumonia, aged sixty-eight years.

Married at the parsonage in Pine City, NY, Oct. 13, 1894, by Rev. F. Sherer, Mr. S. E. Watkins of Richmond, and Mrs. Emma Canable of Rutland, PA

(Tracey) - The Last Sad Scene of the Tragedy Enacted in Washington Monday Morning, A White House Funeral. The Solemn Service in The Historic East Room Over the Remains of the Wife and Daughter of Secretary of the Navy Tracy. Washington, Feb. 5, - The beautiful history East Room of the Executive Mansion, the scene of so many varied spectacles of brilliant ceremony or social gayety, was today devoted to the sadly contrasted and solemnly impressive purpose of a funeral. Very seldom has any similar scene been witnessed at the White House, and never since 1865, when the remains of the lamented Lincoln reposed amid the same surroundings. The service over the remains of the wife and daughter of the Secretary of the Navy were appointed for 11 o'clock, but long before that hour the East room was crowded with people desirous to pay their last tribute to their departed friends. It was a most distinguished gathering, and included nearly everybody of prominence in Washington. Arrangements have been made for seating 350 persons, but over 500 gained entrance. All the doorways leading to the East room were also thronged with people, and it is estimated that there were nearly 1,000 persons in the house. As far as possible admission was confined to the personal and official friends of Secretary Tracy and his family, and consequently very few strangers were present. A great crowd gathered outside however, and watched the carriages as they drove into the grounds. It was found necessary to station police at the gates to keep out the crowd. The casket containing the dead were placed side by side under the control chandelier and directly opposite the main corridor. They were distinguishable only by the greater size of the one containing the body of Mrs. Tracy. A large Sago palm with graceful spreading branches was placed between them at the foot. The sombre drapings of the caskets were almost entirely concealed by the beautiful designs of emblematic flowers, white roses, camelias, hyacinths and lillies of the valley. Garlands and wreaths were also banked against the sides of each casket. The pall-bearers for Mrs. Tracy were Secretary Window, Secretary Prector, Attorney General Miller, Secretary Noble, Postmaster General Wanamaker, Secretary Rusk, Admiral Porter, Rear Admiral Rodgers, Gen. Scofield and J. S. T. Stranahan of Brooklyn. The pall-bearers for Miss Tracy were Passed Assistant Surgeon W. A. McClurg, Passed Assistant Surgeon Robert Whiting, Passed Assistant Paymaster Charles M. Ray, Passed Assistant Paymaster A. K. Micheler and Messrs. John Biddle, Frank Lee, Fred McKellen and Charles Johnson. Both bodies were borne by sailors detailed from the Despatch. Shortly before 11 o'clock the Schubert Quartette stationed within the entrance to the East room form the main corridor sang the hymn "I Cannot Always Trace the Way." The members of the Cabinet, with the exception of Secretary Blaine, acting as pall-bearers soon after entered and took seats at the right of the caskets. They were soon followed by the funeral procession, Secretary Tracy and his son Frank were .....arm and arm at the head. They were followed by Gen. Catlin, A. B. Catlin, Robert Graves and daughter and other relatives. A short space behind them came President and Mrs. Harrison, Mr. and Mrs. McKee, Secretary and Mrs. Blaine, Rev. Dr. Sesby, the President's father-in-law, H. B. Raymond and Lieutenant Mason and E. H. Halford. As soon as they were seated the choir of St. John's Episcopal church, consisting of sixteen white surpliced boys and four men, under the direction of William H. Daniel, the precentor, entered the main corridor from the far end, and as they passed along its length with slow and measured step sang as a processional the hymn "Lead Kindly Light." Rev. Dr. William Douglas, rector of St. John's P. E. church and Rev. George Elliott, pastor of ........... Foundry M. E. church, entered the ....... of the choir and took their places near the caskets. Dr. Douglas immediately began the Episcopal burial service, "I am the resurrection and the life." At its conclusion the choir sang the hymn "Jesus, Lover of My Soul." The Scripture lesson was read by Rev. Mr. Elliott. The choir then sang "Rock of Ages." A prayer, read by Dr. Douglas, concluded the sermon. The President, with Secretary Tracy and his son, first .......out of the room and next to them came Frank Tracy, who was so overcome that he had to be supported by two ushers. Following the procession came the choir singing "Abide With Me." The scene ........was most impressive. The caskets were removed to the hearse and the funeral procession was formed, the cortage moving slowly to Rock Creek Cemetery, where the bodies were placed in a receiving vault. Secretary Tracy did not go to the cemetery as it was feared the task might prove too much for his strength. The President occupied a carriage with Frank Tracy. A long line of carriages followed the remains to the cemetery. VISITING HIS DEAD Secretary Tracy wanted to walk to the White House yesterday as he felt strong enough to do so, but it was thought best for him to use a carriage. Some time after his arrival he was, at his request, taken into the East room and shown the caskets containing the remains of his wife and daughter. They were covered with beautiful flowers (the tributes of loving friends) and branches of the Sago palm were laid across the top and along the sides of each casket. Standing at the head between them both was a large palm tree. The Secretary was much affected by the sight and sobbed though his heart would break. The casket containing Mrs. Tracy's body was opened and he was allowed to look upon her face for the last time. The other body was in no condition for inspection. THE QUEEN'S SYMPATHIES Last evening Sir Julian Pauncefoto received the following message: Osborne, Feb. 4, To the British Minister, Washington: Queen deplores calamity to Mr. Tracy's family; enquires after him and survivors. Ponsonby. To this Secretary Tracy replied as follows: "Mr. Tracy begs the British Minister to convey to Her Majesty his sincere thanks for her gracious message of sympathy, and in reply to her kind inquiry to say that his surviving daughter and grandchild are out of danger."

SATTERLEE - Sudden Demise of One of Elmira's Highly Respected Citizens. The news of the sudden death of Elias B. Satterlee from heart failure was heard with profound sorrow in many homes this morning. Mr. Satterlee was apparently in his usual health last evening. He passed the evening in his but about 10 o'clock, whe started for his room, he complained of a slight headache. At about 11 o'clock, after he had retired, he was found to be in an alarming condition. The nearest physician, Dr. Stagg, was immediately called and a carriage was sent for Dr. Wales the family physician. Everything that medical skill could devise was done for the restoration of the patient, and in about an hour the sufferer partially regained consciousness. He sank rapidly, continuing in a semi-conscious state until 2 o'clock when death relieved his agony. The death of Mr. Satterlee is an overwhelming blow to his family and friends. Since his serious illness three years ago, when he was stricken with apoplexy, the members of his family have feared a second attack of the same disease. Mr. Satterlee had, however, since that time attended regularly to his commission business and was quite strong and well. The first symptoms of illness last evening alarmed his wife and son and every attention and care which might relieve his suffering was immediately administered by them. Mr. Satterlee's only daughter, Miss Augusta Satterlee was absent from the city, spending some time with relatives in Ithaca and was called home to learn the terrible news of her father's death. The darkening of a happy home by such a sudden and grievous affliction is indeed a mysterious and inscrutable ensample of the hidden ways of a loving Heavenly Father. Even the grief and sympathy of friends is insignificant when the loving husband and father is so suddenly removed from the home where he was beloved and honored. Elias B. Satterlee was the son of Timothy Satterlee and Mary Seeley Satterlee, two of the earliest settlers in this part of the state. Of a family of four children Elias B. Satterlee was the second child and the youngest son. His death is the first that has occurred in his father's family since the death of his parents. He was born in Elmira and his life was passed in the city of his birth. He received his education in the schools of the city and after leaving school he went into the dry goods store of John R. Jones. In this store and in the store of Tuttle, Brooks & Co., he learned the business. He left the last named firm to establish a grocery business on the south side of Water street on the site now occupied by Geo. Bower's clothing store. He afterwards gave up the grocery business and in the firm of E. B. Satterlee & Co., established a drygoods business in the same store. After many years in this firm, Mr. Satterlee again established himself in the grocery business on the corner of Main and Third streets, continuing in business there until a few years ago. Since giving up the grocery business, Mr. Satterlee has been actively engaged in the commission business. In May 7, 1863, Mr. Satterlee married Miss Cornelia L. Ferris, daughter of the late Myron J. Ferris of this city. Three children were born to them, of whom the youngest, Albert F., died in September 1871, in infancy. Harry T. Satterlee, freight agent for the E.C. & N. in this city and August L. Satterlee with their mother, survive the father and husband. Of his father's family, one brother, A. S. Satterlee of this city and two sisters, Mrs. R. W. Barton of this city and Mrs. Jesse T. Seely of Lake City, Minnesoto, are still living. The death of Elias B. Satterlee removes not only a representative of one of the oldest families in Elmira, but an honored Christian man, devoted member of the Lake street Presbyterian church. His death is sincerely and grieviously felt by family, friends, and the community.

Fred Douglass and his wife will indoubtedly favor the establishment of the proposed mighty nation in Africa by the colored people of this country. The white leaders of fashionable society in Washington refuse to receive Mrs. Douglass since her marriage to Fred Douglass, and the colored people resolutely close their doors against Douglass because he married a white woman.

BARKER - A. A. Barker, a resident of Tioga and a veteran soldier, aged seventy-two years, started Monday afternoon with his gun and dog for a hunt over Park hill. Not returning, a search was inaugurated, and he was found dead about nine o'clock Tuesday morning, about two miles from the village in one of Charles Miller's fields. The dog stood guard over his master during the night and attracted the searchers by his barking. Baker had evidently fallen in a fit, and his body was still warm when found, proving he must have been alive during the night.

William Groesbeck, of Cincinnati, who looks like the picture of Julius Caesar, is at Saratoga. He defended President Andrew Johnson in his impeachment trial, and was Tilden's choice as a Democratic candidate for president. Mr. Groesbeck is well advanced in years, very wealthy, and he has said that he would not give up the pleasures of his home for presidential honors.

CLARK - Lines Written on the Death of Two Estimable Young Ladies. Written by their father, W. J. Clark, in memory of Miss Hattie and Nettie M. Clark, who died on Coburn street, Elmira, NY. Hattie's death occurred February 2, 1890 and Nettie's February 7, only five days later. Hattie's age was twenty-four years and three months, and Nettie's eighteen years and ten months, the daughters of Mr. and Mrs. William J. Clark. These young ladies were the dependance of an aged, infirm and almost blind mother, upon whom this blow falls a terrible force and leaves a home broken and desolate. They were their only daughters, and upon whom the mother depended for the care of the household. Their last dying words were: "Who will care for mother now?" Who will whisper words of comfort, Who will dry the falling tear, From our earthly home we're leaving, Who will care for mother now. Our loving Hattie, she is gone, And darling Nellie how we miss, Never more on earth to greet them With that welcome good-night kiss. Yes, they've left this world of care, And are now among the blessed: Our heavenly father took our loved ones To that "haven of rest, sweet rest." They have left all earthly sorrows, And are freed from earth's deceits,They have joined the heavenly circle Gathered ‘round the Savior's feet. Years that's passed our children blessed us With their joyous winning smiles, Making home to us a blessing, Now they've left this world of guile. There in realms of bliss they dwelleth, Far beyond our longing sight, In the Savior's heavenly mansion,Where can come no sin or blight. In the night we dream about them, Through the day they are in each thought, And all through life we'll miss the sunshine That their welcome presence brought. Oh! How oft we'll watch their coming, As we have in days gone by, But we know our precious daughters Dwell with angels in the sky. Farwell now, my loving children, You on earth we'll see no more, But in heaven, with joy to greet thee. On that bright and shining shore.

HINSMAN - Death of Amanda M. Hinsman. Last Tuesday at 2 p. m., at her father's home near South Creek, Amanda M., daughter of H. E. Hinsman, aged eighteen years and seven months. Amanda Hinsman leaves father, mother, two brothers and four sisters to mourn her departure. Father, brothers and sisters deeply mourn their great loss, yet the sorrow and agony of her of her aged mother, as she bends over the remains of her lifeless daughter, is sure to melt the hardest heart and move ............back to the .....when a fond mother's watchful love was ever ready to administer to our every need. For nearly two years the deceased lived with Mrs. Lackey, her sister, at 626 Lewis street, and made many personal friends, who mourn her death in the prime of lovely girlhood. First taken with that terrible disease, diptheria, gladdening the hearts of her friends by recovering from that dreadful scourge; afterwards to die with heart failure. All that medical skill could do, aided by watchful care and gentle nursing, night and day, was gladly done to stay the ebb of her young life, to Woodlawn her body rests, freed from the trial of this life. We cannot call her back, but we can go hence to her, thank Christ.

ROSENBAUM - THE SUDDEN PASSING AWAY OF LEHMAN ROSENBAUM, OF ELMIRA, NY, ON THURSDAY LAST. A Retired and Re-elected Merchant Well and Favorably Known Through Years of Honorable Business Dealings--Action of Officers of the Bank of Which He Was a Director--Sketch of a Successful Career--Funeral to Occur To-day. Late Thursday afternoon the startling announcement was made the Lehman Rosenbaum, one of Elmira's oldest merchants had suddenly died at his store, 201 East Water street. Hundreds of friends crowded the store to ascertain if the sad news was true. Investigation revealed the fact, that, alas! the report was well founded. At 4:30 o'clock Thursday afternoon Mr. Rosenbaum attended of the board of directors of the Elmira National Bank, of which he is was a member, and returned to his store in apparent good health and spirits. He entered his private office and a few minutes later a noise as though some one had fallen heavily was heard by his son, Martin Rosenbaum, who rushed to the office to find his father lying on the floor. Dr. C. M. Brown was summoned but arrived too late to render any aid. He was conscious for a few moments and spoke to those about him but soon relapsed in a state of unconsciousness, expiring at 5 o'clock, his passing away being peaceful and painless. Death resulted from heart disease, of which the deceased had been a sufferer for a number of years. A few weeks ago he was afflicted with a slight attack of pneumonia, but had recovered and apparently regained his vigor and strength. Mr. Rosenbaum was born in Bavaria not quite seventy-two years ago, and came to this country when he was twenty-three years of age. He began his successful business career in Elmira twenty-six years ago, and retired from the firm of L. Rosenbaum & Sons, a substantial and prosperous business house, in February of last year. After he came to this country, he engaged in business at Wilkesbarre, PA, where his two sons were born, and for a period of ten years before he removed to Elmira, conducted a dry goods store at Montrose, PA. A third child, a daughter, met her death by an accident at Binghamton ten years ago. Mr. Rosenbaum was the first president of the High street temple, and took a warm interest in the affairs of his church. He was an influential Mason, being a member of the Chapter and of Union lodge, of this city. He had been in failing health for some time preceding his death, and his son, Henry, who had gone to New York the day before his father died, was hurriedly summoned home by the telegraphic announcement of his demise. The directors of the Elmira Second National bank, at a meeting held yesterday, passed appropriate resolutions on the death of Mr. Rosenbaum, and introducing them, S. J. Friendly made an eloquent address .....nged with pathos and subdued sorrow. The directors of the bank sent to the residence a very beautiful floral offering as a token of respect at the loss of one who was a valued friend and business associate. Mr. Rosenbaum wa a man of numerous kindly characteristics. He was charitable and public-spirited, always taking a warm interest in the welfare of his adopted city. He was formerly one of the commissioners of the New York State reformatory, a position of trust and honor, which he filled to the satisfaction of the people and his friends. He was courteous and dignified in his demeanor and possessed the respect of all citizens. His death is a loss which is to be greatly deplored, as he was one of the foremost business men of the city of Elmira and had done much in his lifetime to advance its commercial prosperity and benefit its industries. Mr. Rosenbaum was a widower, his wife having died several years ago. He is survived by two sons, Martin Rosenbaum, recently appointed police commissioner, and Henry L., both members of the firm, which still retains the honored name of L. Rosenbaum & Sons. In their sudden and cruel bereavement they have the sympathy of the entire community. The funeral services will be held at the house this morning at 10:30 o'clock.

SMITH - EX-MAYOR H. M. SMITH, This Well Known Gentleman Died in Buffalo. Died of Bright's Disease. A Brief Sketch of a Gentleman Who Was Once Mayor of This City and Prominent in th Business Affairs of the Town. John R. Joslyn received a dispatch Tuesday morning announcing the death of his brother-in-law, Howard M. Smith, at his home in Buffalo. Mr. Joslyn went to Buffalo Tuesday to attend the funeral, which will be held there tomorrow afternoon. Thursday morning the remains were taken to Mt. Morris for interment. Mr. Smith was fifty-one years of age and was a leading business man of the city of Buffalo, being at the head of the wholesale coal firm of Smith, Bartlett & Sears. Mr. Smith's health had not been good for a year or more, but he had not been confined to his bed until within a few days. He was suffering from Bright's disease, but was not informed of the nature of his ailment until shortly before his death. He was the son of the Rev. R. T. Smith, a famous Baptist minister, who is still living in Buffalo at the age of ninety years. The deceased was born in Oswego. He attended the common schools and later went on to the Rochester university, from which he graduated in the class of ‘58. Shortly after graduating Mr. Smith became the principal of Mt. Morris academy and continued there with great success until 1862. Then, there being a call for volunteers for the army, he raised a company and joined the 180th New York volunteers, as captain in his own company. In 1863 the 180th was made the First New York dragoons, of which Mr. Smith was made major. When the regiment was mustered out after three years of service, Major Smith was brevetted lieutenant-colonel. Returning from the war, Colonel Smith read law at LeRoy, NY, with Judge Bangs and in 1866 came to Elmira. He practiced law here for a time and afterwards became connected with the firm of J. Langdon & Co. Still later he went in business for himself and had several coal yards in this city. During 1869-70 while Dr. Ford of the college went around the world with Gen. Langdon, Mr. Smith taught sciences at the college. In 1867-8-9 he was clerk of the common council under Mayors Fisbie and McDonald. In 1873-4 he was a member of the council from the First ward and in 1875-6 was mayor. He was succeeded by the Hon. R. T. Turner. Mr. Smith was a Republican in politics and a member of the First Baptist church in which he was always superintendent of the Sunday school. Twelve or fifteen years ago Mr. Smith moved to Buffalo and for ten years was a member of the coal firm of W. H. Davis & Co. Mr. Smith met with reverses in Buffalo in 1878, but recovered his losses and for the last few years has been the head of the successful wholesale coal firm of Smith, Bartlett & Sears. The other members of the firm are John S. Bartlett, also formerly of this city and O. W. Sears of Binghamton. Mr. Smith was not as wealthy at the time of his death as a few years ago, but was in good circumstances and leaves a heavy life insurance to his family, consisting of a wife and three children. Mrs. Smith is a sister of John R. Joslyn. Her maiden name was Mary E. Joslyn, and she was married at Mt. Morris in 1867. Their family consists of three sons, one, a young man now a student at the Rochester university and the other two, twins of twelve years are at home in Buffalo.

DILDINE - IN MEMORY Of William Dildine, Who Died in Ionia, Michigan, March 10, 1890 A precious one from us has gone, A voice we loved so well is still, A place is vacant in our home which we can never fill. God in his wisdom has recalled The boon his loved has given, And though the body slumbers here The soul is safe in heaven. Farewell, my wife, dear, farewell! Adrian, farewell to thee; And to you, my dear children, all, Farewell to all of you. Our father is gone and we are left, The loss of him we mourn, But may we hope to meet with him With Christ before God's throne. Call not back the dear departed Anchored safe where storms are o'er, On the border land we left him, Soon to meet and part no more; Far beyond this world of changes, Far beyond this world of care, We shall find our missing loved one In our father's mansion fair.

Mrs. J. C. Ayer of Lowell, widow of the "Cherry Pectorel" doctor has captured a brother of the late Emperor of Russia's merganatic wife. It is stated, and will become Princess Dolgorouki in the fall. LINCOLN - THREE ABRAHAM LINCOLNS. They Were All Cut Down Suddenly By Indians, Assassin, and Surgeon. From the Chicago News. The sad fate of the great "Emancipator" hallowed the name of Lincoln. The recent death of little "Abe" in London has called renewed attention to the great President, his ancestors, and descendants. Popular knowledge of the family covers about two centuries. During that time alternate generations have produced three Abraham Lincolns, all of whom have died under circumstances that have riveted upon them the attention of Americans. The years 1786, 1865, and 1890 are memorable in Lincoln chronology, for in those years the grandfather of the President, President Lincoln himself, and his grandson fell--two by the ;hands of assassins, and the third by the hand of the surgeon, no less fell though better intentioned. The facts of the death of the President's grandfather are meagor. Descended from the good old Quaker stock of Pennsylvania and possessed of moderate means, he was one of the first to leave home in Rockingham county, Virginia, in 1780, to follow the lead of Daniel Boone into the wilds of Kentucky, taking him, his wife and five children. Prepared to brave dangers and hardships for a home, Abraham Lincoln bought 400 acres of land from the Government for L60. A spot in the forest was cleared, a log cabin was erected, and soon Lincoln found himself on the way to prosperity. The three sons--Mordecai, Josiah and Thomas--who partook of the father's ambition, helped him with a will. The little farm in the wilderness gradually broadened, and two additional tracts of land, one of 800 and the other of 500 acres, were taken. But fortune soon changed. One morning in 1786 Lincoln and his three sons went out to the edge of the clearing, and scarcely had work begun when a shot from the bush killed the father. Mordecai immediately ran to the cabin for a gun and Josiah to Hughes' station for assistance, while Thomas was left with his father's body. Mordecai got the gun and was just in time to save his brother's life by shooting the Indian who was about to kill him. The murdered man was buried where he fell, and soon after the family for better protection moved to a thicker settled portion of the wilderness, where Mordecai, with the settled hate that is born of unforgiven wrong, became an Indian-stalker, who slew the redskins on no other provocation then mere sight. Two generations later the second Abraham Lincoln was exalted from the position of an obscure lawyer to that of President of the United States--and honor which he bore with courage and fortitude and paid for with his life. All are familair with the story of his assassination. Another break of a generation in the transmission of names and the Abraham appeared in the family as the son of Robert T. Lincoln, the American Minister. HILL - LEE HILL'S FEARFUL FATE, While Attending a Private Party, He Falls From a Window And is Fatally Injured-The Scene of the Tragic Event Was Rusling's Hall, Lawrenceville, PA-A beloved and Brilliant Young Man Cut Off In the Beginning of a Useful Career - A Graphic Account of the Terrible Accident.[Special Correspondence of the Telegram.] Lawrenceville, PA, July 19, ....... - A most deplorable accident occurred at Rusling's hall, this borough, last Tuesday evening about midnight, resulting in the death of Lee Hill, a young man twenty-one years of age. The Acorn club, composed of some of the young people of the village, were having a private dancing party in the hall, which is situated upon the second floor of the Rusling block, and the causes which led to the accident were about as follows: Two windows at the south end of a room overlooked the one-story flat roofed office of Wing & Bostwick. The ..... of the hall at this side is raised to with-..........ow inches of the window sills, the office ....... being about eighteen inches below the ..............d extending from this point about mid- .......across the window upon the right to an .......of the main building just beyond the second window. Owing to the excessive heat in the hall all of the windows were raised, and some party had removed both the upper and lower sash from the right hand window, and parties HAD BEEN PASSING to the roof of the office at various times during the evening to enjoy the cooler atmosphere, passing through the left hand window. This was comparatively safe, if one did not go too near the outer edge of the roof, and one could have stepped from the other window upon the roof also, but it was dangerous on account of the narrow edge presented, especially at night. Mr. Hill had been dancing with Miss Kuhl, and feeling the effects of the heat he proposed that they pass out upon the roof for a few moments and get some fresh air before the next dance, but they made the fatal mistake of attempting to pass out of the window upon the right. Arriving at the window, Miss Kuhl allowed her escort to precede her that he might assist her down to the roof below, still resting her hand lightly upon his arm. As he stepped down she heard his foot touch the roof; the he plunged headlong into the darkness below. A SICKENING THUD from out of the gloom told the awful result, as it flashed through her mind that he had fallen. With a half-suppressed scream she attracted those nearest her, and told, in a few broken words, the facts. He was found to have struck his head against the corner of a step fracturing his skull and producing internal injuries. Tenderly he was borne to the hall above, and Dr. Darling, who was present, after a hasty examination, had him taken to his home - that home from which but a few hours before, he had kissed his darling mother a fond good-night. Here he lingered, surrounded by kind friends, in an unconscious state until Thursday noon, when he quietly breathed his last. The deceased was the only son of ex-Burgess James N. Hill, and a highly valued clerk in the store of Wing & Bostwick, of this village. Lee was blessed with one of these genial, sunny temperaments that endered him to all who knew him; a noble boy of excellent habits; his mother's pride; one of those boys that is an honor for any community to own, and his sudden and tragic death has cast a deep gloom over the entire community. ONE OF THOSE STRANGE unexplained cases of presentiment occurred in connection with this accident. His aged grandmother, with whom he was a great favorite, makes her home with the family in Lawrenceville, but at the time of the accident was visiting relatives at Beaver Dams, NY. The old lady arose upon the following morning and told her friends that she must return immediately to Lawrenceville, as she had a strange presentiment of trouble at home and refused to be disuaded from her purpose. She took the first train, arriving home at 11 o'clock a. m., and knew nothing of the accident until informed by the ‘bus driver at the Lawrenceville depot upon her arrival.   

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 14 OCT  98
By Joyce M. Tice