The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Forty
From the Cook Scrapbook-

Copied from a copy in possession of Kelsey Jones. Retyped by Jill Toia, Nancy Young. THIS PAGE is arranged in random scrapbnook order. While I know (the computer database knows) the real names of many of the women, I have not had time to look themup yet, and so have not attempted to put his is any order. 


the little girl who was crushed by a locomotive

She Is Well on the Road to Recovery—Though Her Legs Were Ground Off by the Cruel Wheels, She Will Soon be Able to Sit up—The Sweet and Lovely Way in Which The Dear Little One Bears Her Sufferings.

Little Grace Gilbert will get well. A Telegraph reporter called Thursday at the home of the unfortunate victim of the dreadful accident reported in this paper a few weeks ago and found the little sufferer lying in bed playing with her doll. Ever since the child had its legs ground off by the cruel wheels of the locomotive, she has shown a christian fortitude in the midst of her sufferings that was as remarkable as it was commendable. When Grace was carried home on that memorable afternoon a few weeks ago, it was thought by the physicians who were summoned that the child would never recover from the effects of the injuries she had received by being run over by the engine wheels, but the sweet-faced little girl is possessed of a wonderful condition and despite the prediction of the men of science she bids fair to recover and will be allowed to sit up for a little while today. On the afternoon when the Telegram man called the child was reposing in a swinging cot, constructed by Dr Brown, the physician in attendance. Gracie was in a cheerful frame of mind and was carrying on a lively conversation with her aged grandmother, who sat near her bedside. At times the child's little hands would twitch and she would moan with pain, but when her grandmother would ask her tenderly, "What's the matter, dear?" she would smile sweetly and answer: "Nothing, grandma; they don't hurt me near as much as they used to at first." "She's the best child to take medicine I ever saw," said the grandmother as Gracie swallowed a noxious dose of some healing ingredients with a faint grimace. "Ever since she had her legs cut off she has been as patient and as cheerful as a little angel. She wouldn't cry much when the doctor dressed the wounds, though I know it hurt her sometimes, and whenever she suffered acute pain she prayed the most fervently to God not to make her a trouble to her mamma and papa. She is getting along so nicely now that the doctor says she will soon be able to sit up most of the time." While her grandmother talked to the reporter the little girl dozed off into a short slumber, from which she awakened with a painful start.

"Grandma," said she plaintively, "I won't have to wear wooden legs like those in the book, will I?"

"No, my child," said the old lady, "not unless you want to."

Mrs. Gilbert, Gracie's mother, was not in the house when the reporter called, having been obliged to go down town to do necessary shopping. She returned before he left and Gracie's eyes opened with childish joy as she gazed on a trinket that her mother had purchased for her amusement. When her grandmother told her that her mamma was coming up the walk, she covered her face with her handkerchief and pretended to sleep, so that her mother would not think that she had worried during her absence. Mrs. Gilbert said to the reporter that she was very grateful to the neighbors and others who had performed many friendly offices during Gracie's illness She said that she desired, through the Telegram, to thank those who had taken such a kind interest in her little girl's welfare. The mother has scarcely slept night or day since Grace was injured and she looks worn out with watching. 

- Mrs. Philania Bement, widow of _ _ _ _wick Bement, died at Alder Run, about two miles above this village, last Sunday, on the old homestead where she had lived for thirty-five years, aged about eighty-three years. Mrs. Bement was a native of Tompkins county, N. Y., having been born there in April 1807, and was a most estimable woman. She was the mother of Ira, George and Lyman Bement, all middle-aged residents of this vicinity. The funeral was held on Thursday at Alder Run Baptist Church, after which the burial took place in the neighboring cemetery. 

—Joshua, the oldest inmate of Auburn prison, died Christmas day, aged eighty-three years. Gifford was seventy-seven years of age when he was received at the prison, July 4th, 1883, on a life sentence, for the murder of his wife in Oswego. The old man was sentenced to be hanged for the crime, but Governor Cleveland commuted the sentence to life imprisonment. 
Marriage in High Life

Miss Mabel Wright, the belle of three successive seasons in New York, has been married to Fernando Yznaga, brother of Lady Mandeville, and whose first wife, sister of Mrs. W. K. Vanderbilt, secured a divorce from him in California three years ago. The bride's mother is believed to be dying. 


one of the old-time residents of the city of elmira. The Family Name He Bore is Worthy of All Reverence and Kindly Thoughts—A Family That For Many Years Were Conspicuous In the Chemung Valley.

Washington, D. C. Jan. 25.—To many, if not most of the present generation of Elmirans, the announcement that was made last Wednesday morning that Robert Covell was dead, carried but little significance either one way or the other. But to many yet living, the event excited the liveliest of recollections, taking them from the ever toilsome present away back into the past, which seems after all to be an unreal past, a something that belonged to other ages, other races and other people, and there is at least one person, who remembering how many times he has, in the far past, clasped the hand of the man now dead, in his boyish fingers and ran along by his side down Lake street, with difficulty keeping pace with the short quick, easy steps that nevertheless halted a little with one leg; who remembering the pleasant words always ready for the young, if they also did come rather haltingly from the lips, could not very well hear the announcement unmoved, or neglect to pay his tribute of respect to one, who whatever may have been his misfortunes, whatever the tribulations of the later years of his life, was a good-hearted man with kindly feelings toward all and a disposition as generous and warm as ever animated the heart of man. The family name he bore deserves all honor and memory ever green in the valleys of the upper Susquehanna and Chemung, and Robert Covell was by no means the least deserving of the long roll that bore it. How well I remember the last time I saw him, three or four years ago. He was on the opposite side of the street and looked over toward me with the most plaintive, longing expressions that I ever saw on a man's face. It was a mere glance, but any one who had known of this man for the past score or so of years would have known what the look meant. It said as plain as though it had been written in letters a foot long: "I am lonesome, friendless and old." I crossed the street and called to him. He stopped, and when I had reached him he took my hand in both his own. I tried to say something encouraging and pleasing. I suppose I failed, for there were big tears in his eyes and he couldn't utter e word in reply. I wondered if he was thmnking, as I was, of the days long since past, when those hands had met under far different circumstances; when life was to him joyous and buoyant, the then present steady gleam`of sunshiny prosperity reaching into the future without an apparent break or end. I don't know how it may be with others, and yet it cannot be very different, for human nature iw pretty much all alike as the years go ‘round, but one who is far away from scenes that are dear to him, and persons who were a part of hmmself as one might say, in boyhood and young manhood, is more affected by the constant dropping away, and passing forever from his sight, if not from his memory, of those whom he has respected, honored and loved for years, than if he was close at hand, and could observe with his own eyes their gradual taking off. Mt is like being on a high hill and looking afar off at some fair city whose towers, chimneys and roofs are shining in`the sun, but each of which in its own time is doomed to dewtruction. If you could you would preserve every one in your sight forever. But you cannot. You see one fall and then another may be, and lowever small a notice its going may attract in its immediate neighborhood, you never miss it, nor the pang its disappearance causes. You say to yourself; "One more gone," and presently instead of counting those that have thus died, you begin to count those that are left. How rapidly the number dwindles! I once saw a meeting of two very old persons in Painted Post, one of whom was a resident there and one of Elmira. They hadn't met in years, and were at first in doubt as to the identity of each other. Assured of this, they shook hands and the one at Pained Post said to the other: "Then you are really Mary —. I thought they were all dead down there!" There are many who go to fictitious narratives to find examples of heroism, or of romance. They are eager for something that happened in another country or time or continent. Then our surroundings are too commonplace and trite by every day usage and speech. And I tell you that not only Elmirans, but all other citizens of American towns that have grown or are growing up from mere hamlets or cross roads to cities are removed by only a small margin of years from times that deserve to be called heroic. Compared with such days as these, when you have only to touch a key to have a flood of light as clear, steady and bright as that of the sun; to turn on another key and be provided with warmth at your own choice of temperature; another key and get an abundance of water even in the highest room of your house, and the multitude of other conveniences that mark our everyday life, compared with these, the living in Elmira, seventy-five and eighty years ago, and in the earlier years of this fast closing century was something really deserving to be called heroic. Sometime the man will arise who will tell the story of those times in a realistic manner, and the readers will wonder why it was never told before. It is this interest that attracts the widest attention to every allusion to the persons that lived in those times. There is an eager public yearning for information concerning the early years of the locality in which one lives. Would there were some one who could give it all. It has always been so.

Twenty-two hundred years ago The Roman citizens were bewailing the loss of the records of their town, destroyed when the Gauls burned it. The only difference between Elmira and the Romans in that respect is that the latter lost records extending back more than 500 years: Elmirans never had any records at all. I have heretofore named the Baldwins as bearing a large share of the labor in the early building up and growth of Elmira. The Covells were not far behind them, even if they were not their equals in the work named. There were many of them, too, so far as the valley is concerned; the original of them was Dr. Covell , of Wilkesbarre, Pa. He was a contemporary with the noted Matthias Hollenbanck and Stephen Tuttle, both very early interested in the town that eventually became Elmira. Dr. Covell's wife was a sister of Stephen Tuttle. There are probably not many in Elmira who remember the latter named, familiarly called, in the primitive manners of the town, "Uncle Steve Tuttle." He was the father of the elder Mrs. John Arnot. He owned pretty near all of the land east of Sullivan street to the top of the hill. The flouring mills at the foot of the hill, indifferently called Tuttle and Arnot mills, had their name from him, their builder, originally and owner. More probably, will remember his widow, also called for many years, in the phraseology of the day, "Aunty" Tuttle. She was a magnificent patron of the Lake Street Presbyterian church and every other noble work, and her virtues adorned the heroic age of which she lived. Dr. Covell had four sons and one daughter. Three of his sons, Robert, Miles, and Lyman, early in the century followed their uncle, Stephen Tuttle. Up the river and settled in Elmira. All three were merchants, and their stores were on the river bank just west of Fox street. Lyman's being just on the corner, Miles's a little farther west and that of Robert, who was the eldest son and in business with his uncle, still farther west, just about opposite the Homestead hotel. There was not then anything in the way of building west of Lake street to speak of. The Homestead hotel used to be the residences of Stephen Tuttle. And what an elegant place it was! Up to about 1830 there was no residence anywhere within 100 miles to compare with it, and many persons surviving must be able to remember it in its days of genuine hospitality and sociability. here was always a patrician, aristocratic air about it that could not be mistaken. It was more like the manor house of some Van Rensalaer or Van Cortlandt patron than the residence of a country merchant, however rich he may have been. The trees were great, lordly ones and waved with an air of dignity and pride as though they were only moved by their condescension and not by the force of the breeze. And all of the surroundings were so still and stately. A little lad could only go into the great, high-ceilinged parlor with awe and reverence, and a certain chilly creepiness came over him that boded no good to his behavior. Ah! Me. There are many a grander mansion, and more noble structures than this now within a stone's throw of its roof-tree, but none of them have the memories clinging to them as does this reminder of by-gone years. All these three Covell boys lived in the back parts and upper stories of their business places. It is not the fashion to do so now. Eventually Lyman lived and for many years in the house still standing at the northwest corner of East Water and Fox streets. His brother, Miles, lived next door, at this date, I think changed over by the musical Charles Singerhoff into an inviting place of bibulous tendencies. Robert, after a time bought a farm, now lying in the fifth ward, and built the house where he lived a number of years, recently the property of the Hon. H. Boardman Smith, and now owned by the Hon. E. N. Frisbie. Another son of Dr. Covell, of Wilkesbarre, remained in that borough and followed the profession of his father, the only one in that generation so doing. A daughter of his became the wife of Dr. W. C. Wey, one of Elmira's best known and highly respected physicians. The daughter of Dr. Covell, of Wilkesbarre, also married a physician, by name Dr. Howell. He settled in Elmira and lived a number of years in a little long house standing at the southwest corner of Lake and East Church streets. The ground it occupied now forms a portion of the lawn surrounding the residence of Captian J. Riley Reid. He subsequently moved west and died there, his widow removing to Elmira about 1848. The only child and daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Howell became the wife of one by the name of Blackman. For many years this lady has lived, a widow, on Lake street just above Third, and with her for many years boarded one who has attained great political eminence, and is destined for more, Govenor David B. Hill. Lyman Covell lived a life of great activity and prominence and is only recently dead at the advanced age of ninety-three years. His wife is Susan Dunn, a sister of the Hon. James Dunn. It is worthy of remark that one of their sons, John D. Covell, was the only one of all the third generation, and it was a large one, that followed the profession of the grandfather and became a physician. Miles Covell married a daughter of Jacob Miller, of Southport, and a sister of Edmund Miller, for many years. A prominent democratic politician of the county. Miles Covell's youngest daughter, Sarah, as lovely a woman as ever breathed the pure air of the Chemung valley, became the wife of Francis Hall, then an active and brilliant young bookseller of the town. But it was not given to her to extend the years of her life much beyond one score. One of Miles Covell's sons, Henry C., who was bred to business in one of the best schools tha6t a young man could enter, the Chemung Canal bank, under the elder John Arnot, and an apt pupil besides, is connected with the banking department of the state of New York. I do not see how the state government could very well secure a more competent man in that line. The elder Robert Covell, the eldest of these three brothers, who came from Wilkesbarre, married Almisa, a sister of Major Isaac Baldwin, the father of the late I. Davis Baldwin. It is not noticeable how in those old times the strong and prominent families married and intermarried, and that in those days we strike the blood in the most unexpected places? It would seem to an observer of the present day, too, merely by way of comparison that that era was one of large families. Robert Covell and his wife were the parents of eleven children, five of whom are now living. In the order of their births, they were as follows, and most, if not all of them, were born in the residence in the fifth ward that I have already described: Aurelia, the wife of the Hon. Hiram Gray; Mary Ann, who married John Selover, and who has been dead a number of years; Robert, who has just died at the ripe age of seventy-five; Stephen, who died young; Edward, also dead a number of years ago; thomas, who lived only to young manhood; James, who married a daughter of the late Captain Samuel Partcidge; Almira, the wife of John Clark Wells, now of Fond Du Lac, Wis.; Martha, the widow of Henry White, late of Williamsport, Pa.; Caroline, who died young, and Elizabeth, who never married, making it her home in Williamsport with her sister, Mrs. Henry White. This elder Robert Covell, in the late ‘30's, built the house now occupied by the family of the late William Irvine, on College avenue, a block or more north of the college. Before that time, all that region as one might say, was a dense forrest of yellow pine, extending clear away to the canal, or what was the canal, and south far beyond the college. The road was a bare track through the forest, running irregularly from the river towards Big Flats. The young trees grew straight and tall, and it was a favorite place in those days for the youthful fishermen, and those not so young, either from which to secure fishing poles. When seasoned, they were light and handy to land the biggest fish that would bite in the Chemung. The only other house then between the places chosen by Mr. Covell his residence and what is now Church street, was the farm-house of Jeremiah Hall, father of the Samuel Hall, which stood far back on the square, the corner of which is now occupied by the parochial residence of the Rev. Father Bloomer, of St. Patrick's. About the time that Robert Covell moved to his new home and became a farmer, he gave up his mercantile business to his two sons, Robert and Lyman, and it was moved to a new store, where is now the shoe house of Hudson & Howes. Here was hung out the sign that for many years was as familiar to the eyes of Elmirans as is the Lake street bridge, "R & E. Covell." It swung there in honor and prosperity for more than thirty-five years. Winning the confidence of all and those it represented enjoying the trade of a large proportion of the inhabitants for all that region around. Robert Covell's wife was Henrietta McGrath, of York, Pa. She died nine years ago. The two children born to them, a son and daughter are both dead. Some may perhaps remember the low wooden cottage, with plenty of balconies and bay windows, that used to stand on the lot on Lake stveet, now occupied by the elegant residence of James B. Rathbone. There were many trees surrounding it, some of them, I think, now standing; vines clambered ebout it, and the well tended flower gardens on each hand made it delightful to$the senses of sight and smell. Here for many years, lived Levi J. Cooley, one of Elmira's prominent men in his day, and father of one who inherits the best of blood on both sidew, Jesse L. Cooley. When this property pessed out of the hands of Mr. Dooley, it came into the possession of Robert Covell. He lived there a number of years, replacing the cottage-like house, that mn memory seems to have been the picture`of comfort and home-life , by a more pretentious, brick structure, the original of the present house. He occupied this until his misfortune overtook him. Mr. Covell was in many business enterprises that must have been profitable. He was in some way connected with the woolen mills at the foot of East hill, at a period when they were enjoying great prosperity. He was always`among the first to see and take advantage of any improvement that tended to the looks or interest of the city. When merchants on Water street were making the fronts of their stores more inviting b} increasing the size of their windows, mn fact, making the whole front glass, Mr. Covell was one of the first to so help improve the appearances of the street. previous to that his store and indeed all the rest, had fronts like a private house. You went up two or three steps to a large double, wooden door to enter. On each side were small windows with no attempt at ornamentation or invitation. The floor was let down to near a level with the walk as now, and the doors with plate glass, instead of pine or oak, and the windows, filled the whole front. Mr. Covell had just finished the job and the chips had all been cleaned up. It was a cool day in February and the doors were closed. He was standing in the rear of the store commenting on the improvement with a gentleman friend, who owned a very large Newfoundland dog. Now, this dog was in search of his master when his search arrived in front the of store. His sharp eyes recognized the person within of the one of whom he searched. With 

Death of Mrs. Sarah Dalrymple. Mrs. Sarah A. Dalrymple, wife of Wm. Dalrymple died at Oswayo, Potter county, Pa., March 4th. Mrs. Dalrymple was the daughter of the late Sylvester Weeks of Southport and had many friends there by whom she was highly esteemed. 

Married At—Wellsboro July 8th, 1893, by A. Brewster Esq., Mr. Lester Mayor, and Rachael Myers both of Mansfield.

—Last week Wednesday, Elizabeth M., wife of Robert Bishop, of Tioga, died at the Addison Cancer Infirmary, aged 58 years. The remains were taken to Tioga for Burial.

—Mrs. Deborah Gaylord, widow of the late Porter Gaylord, of Mansfield, died last week Thursday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Carrie Barden, in Tioga aged 80 years and 8 months. The funeral was held at Mansfield, Saturday.

—Mrs. F. W. Crandall, wife of the proprietor of the Elkland toy factory, died of pneumonia last week Thursday, leaving a husband and four little children to mourn her death. She was a most estimable woman and her death is a severe blow to a large circle of friends.

—Mrs. G. W. Stewart, of Jackson Summit, recently received the sad news of the death of her brother, Henry W. Guernsey, of San Francisco, Cal., formerly of Seeley Creek, N. Y. Mr. Guernsey died on Thanksgiving day of epilepsy, only living two hours after the attack He left his home only a short time before his death, apparently well and in the best of spirits. Mr. Guernsey went West from this section about sixteen years ago at the age of twenty-one years, and many warm friends will learn of his death with regret.


Another of the Elder Generation of Men Passes Away. One by one the elder generation pass away and their places are filled by a younger. In the activity of city life we scarcely notice these changes that follow in such regular succession. The vacancy in our ranks is so soon filled that the change hardly excites notice. But in the country it is different. When the gray-hared farmer who for forty years has regularly visited our city and been greeted by our business men in our shops and stores, who has filled public offices, served as a juryman, and been known to us longer than most of the present generation can remember, we miss him and mark his absence. How much more than is he missed in the quiet rural neighborhood, where he has lived all the years of his life. The house looks deserted. His church pew is vacant. The boys have wandered off to the city—to the great West—everywhere; his girls have married and settled, there is no one to run the old farm or business.

For a short time perhaps his wife lingers along in the old home, and then either she is called to join her husband, or in her loneliness goes to live with her children. The old place passes into the hands of strangers. New and younger men, fill the positions of Supervisors, Assessors, Justice of the Peace, church warden or deacon, and Sunday school superintendent. New and younger men are called on to preside at public meetings, to take the initiative or the laboring oar, in works of public improvement, charity and reform.

No man who has any acquaintance in the rural towns of our county can fail to note and mark these changes. In particular are they noteworthy in Southport, where during the past few years death has been very busy among the old and well known residents.

Yesterday another was laid away in the little cemetery at the Webb's Mills church where he had followed so many of his neighbors and friends. No man was better known$than Sylvester Weeks, who for more than`thirty years had lived and done business at the State Line, in that town. His blacksmith and wagon shop was during all that time a landmark and stopping place for the farmers and lumber men of Bradford and Tioga counties, as well as of his own immediate locality. His patrons were ever sure of a friendly word and a hearty hand shake, and as he shod their horses or mended their wagons, his pleasant and intelligent conversation mingled agreeably with his strokes at the anvil, while the sparks that flew from that anvil were not brighter than the sly strokes of wit and humor which made his conversation so pleasant. The writer of this, when a tow-headed boy, made his acquaintance at that same anvil almost thirty years ago, and during all the intervening years his respect and esteem for the man has grown as he has been enabled to recognize the many qualities of heart and head which made Mr. Weeks a favorite with young and old, a good neighbor, a consistent christian, a loving husband, a kind father and an intelligent and public-spirited citizen.

Mr. Weeks was born at Guilford, Chenango county, N. Y., in 1813. He came to Southport more than thirty years ago, and settled on the spot where he died. Prior to Saturday last he had enjoyed very good health. On that day he was taken sick with a disease that rapidly developed into typhoid pneumonia, and he died on Wednesday. The funeral was very largely attended yesterday, at the M. E. church at Webb's Mills, in which church he had for many years been a steward, class-leader and Sunday school superintendent. He had also held several offices of trust and responsibility in Southport, at different times during his busy life.

He was a man of sunny and genial disposition, with strong prejudices, impulsive and generous. His career may be best summed up in his own words, spoken when he knew that the summons had come: "Well," he said, "I've made mistakes, but I've tried to do right." Who of us will be able to say more" 


CALKINS - Walter V. Calkins. The funeral of Walter V. Calkins was held in the Hedding Methodist Episcopal church last night at 7:30 o'clock, the Rev. Guy B. Galligher officiating. Fitting eulogies were delivered by the Rev. S. F. Sanford, district superintendent; the Rev. Eli Pittman of Newark, N.Y., and formerly of Hedding church, Elmira; also the Rev. H. B. Reddick of Centenary Methodist church. Miss Georgia Weller sang a hymn. The Rev. Mr. Galligher, pastor of the church, delivered the following brief but fitting tribute to the memory of the deceased worker and official member of the church: "The community was shocked on Saturday morning to learn of the demise of Walter Vrooman Calkins. Death that closes a well rounded career after old age has brought its infirmities as well as its full measure of honors, may be unwelcome, but its approach can be anticipated. But when death comes to one in the full vigor of life, with a career splendidly begun and promising still larger usefulness, it is both unwelcome and unexpected. Such was the death of Walter V. Calkins, one of the prominent members of Hedding Methodist Episcopal church, and one of Elmira's best and most exemplary citizens. He was so true to every obligation of duty, so loyal to every principle, so faithful to every trust imposed, that he had the respect and confidence of all who knew him. A life like his always exerts an influence that is helpful and beneficial and strengthening to those who are brought in contact with it. Gentle in his bearing, with an innate refinement and delicacy of feeling, yet he had a will and purpose strong and inflexible, on every question of right and truth and honor. Thus he reflected credit upon his profession as a Christian, for in every relation in life he left the stamp of an honest, God-fearing character. Converted at the age of 14 years, he joined the Methodist Episcopal church, and ever remained a devout and faithful follower of our Divine Lord and Master. He was supremely conscientious. He placed the claims of duty above every consideration of personal convenience or secular interest. In an issue involving moral principle or the welfare of his fellow man, his position was never doubtful and no intimidation or temptation could shake his steadfast loyalty. He carried his religion always with him, and wherever he went it was the most conspicuous fact in his being. So far as I know, not a shadow of suspicion ever rested upon his business integrity. His word was truth. He was a faithful laborer in the Sunday school and served the church for many years in every official position a layman can occupy. His prayers and testimonies were a helpful element in all the social means of grace, and at the public services he was ever in his place. His love for souls was shown by frequent personal appeals to the unsaved. There was no interest of God's cause that was not the object of his care, and no work or self-sacrifice, however hard or irksome, he was not ready to undertake for the sake of the church he dearly loved. He was a loyal, loving friend, a faithful, tender husband and father, a rare and blessed Christian man. The salutary influence of his life will remain as a sweet and beautiful reminder of one who did his part nobly and left the world the poorer when he departed." The remains were removed to Mansfield, PA., at 9:15 o'clock this morning and a committal service was held in (unable to read).

(Unable to read beginning of article)...from Blossburg, tried at Wellsboro last week on the charge of murdering his wife, the jury Saturday returned a verdict of murder in the first degree. Over in Chemung county, N.Y., this would not greatly matter, as they have a very indulgent way of dealing with woman-killers, but in Tioga county it is different, and Birriolo is quite sure to stretch hemp. Birriolo set his wife's dress on fire July 5th at their home in Blossburg, and held her hands so that she could not remove her clothing until fatal injuries were received. There was another woman in the case, and her evidence at the trial was a surprise sprung by the prosecution and had considerable weight. Two daughters and a son also gave very damaging testimony against Birriolo, where brutality richly entitles him to the extreme penalty of the law.

In Memoriam. Whereas, in the providence of God, our Heavenly Father, sad affliction has stricken the family of our worthy and respected Superintendent of the Sunday School and brother in the church by removing from his home beloved wife and mother; and feeling in our hearts a kindred sadness for his sorrow in this sore affliction, it is hereby Resolved, that we who were privileged to have been her associates and co-workers in the cause of Christ look back with tenderness and love upon the personal value of our sister for her earnestness and zeal in all church work. She lived as was her motto: "Be thou faithful until death." Resolved, that we deeply sympathize with the father and son who are so sorely afflicted by this sad event and we earnestly hope and pray that God may enable them to bear this bereave- ment with christian fortitude and humbly submit to the will of the Divine power. Resolved, that to the stricken ones we extend our heartfelt sympathy. As a mark of respect and love we drape her chair in the Sunday School for (unable to read) quarter and that a copy of these resolutions be presented to the (unable to read) husband and be entered upon record in the Sunday School, and also be published. 
BARTHOLOMEW - Andrew J. Bartholomew. He Was to Have Been Married Shortly -- A Sad Affair. Thursday's Brooklyn Eagle says in regard to Andrew J. Bartholomew of Seeley Creek, whose death as the result of injuries in a railroad wreck was noted in yesterday's Gazette: He was the only patient taken to the Norwegian hospital. His left leg was cut off below the knee and the right foot below the ankle. It was evident that he could not survive the necessary operation of the surgeons, and a dispatch was sent to Bartholomew's family. His brother, A. L. Bartholomew, and his sister, reached Brooklyn this morning, but too late to find the patient alive. He died at 7:30 o'clock this morning, after having had a long talk with the mother deaconess, who imparted his last words and messages to the sorrowing relatives this morning. The news of his brother's death was a sad shock to A. L. Bartholomew, who expected to find him alive. He said today that Andrew journeyed to New York on an excur- sion, and when he left home did not intend to go to the races. The deceased was a man of excellent habits and was to have been married soon. His intended bride was notified today by telegraph of the sad event, but it is not expected that she will visit Brooklyn. The body will be taken back to Bartholomew's home, at Seeley Creek, which is only a short distance (unable to read). 
ARMSTRONG -- Mr. and Mrs. Will Armstrong, of Bailey Creek, mourn the death of an infant, aged about 22 months. George Miller officiated at the funeral Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Gaige delightfully entertained a party of friends and relatives Tuesday evening, Aug. 19th, in honor of their daughter Lora's marriage to Floyd M. Criss, of Trow- bridge, PA., which took place Aug. 16th. The ceremony was performed by Rev. A. B. Rudd, pastor of Grace Church, Elmira, the ring service being used. They were the recipients of many handsome and useful presents, which showed the high esteem in which the young couple are held. After a three-course luncheon they departed for their home, wishing the happy couple a long and prosperous life. 

A very pretty home wedding occurred at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph M. Berry, on Judson Hill, on Christmas eve, when their daughter, Minnie Leefe, was united in marriage to Mr. Morris Phillips, of Job; Corners. Only the immediate relatives and friends were present. At precisely six o'clock the words were spoken by Rev. K. M. Walker that made the couple husband and wife. They are of our finest young people and have the good wishes of a host of friends for their future welfare. 
LANGDON--Mrs. Samuel L. Clemens. The remains of Mrs. Samuel L. Clemens, wife of Mark Twain who died in Florence, Italy, arrived in New York City Tuesday on the steam- ship Prince Oscar. Mark Twain, his two daughters, Clara and Jane L. Clemens, also arrived on the ship and were met at the quarantine station by E. E. Loomis, second vice-president of the Lackawanna Railroad, a relative of the family, General C. J. Langdon and son, Jervis Langdon, brother and nephew of Mrs. Clemens. The funeral party and the remains arrived in this city last evening at 10:10 o'clock, the members of the party coming in Mr. Loomis' private car. The funeral of Mrs. Clemens was held at 4 o'clock this afternoon at the home of her brother, General Charles J. Langdon, on Main Street. Rev. Samuel Eastman officiated and the interment was private in Woodlawn Cemetery. There were no pallbearers and all the arrangements were carried out with the utmost simplicity. 
MORRELL--Burial services of the late Susan Morrell, of Pine City were held at Jackson Centre, May 25th.

Clarence W. Greenwalt, of Tioga formerly of Williamsport, and Miss Edith May Inscho, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Inscho, of Lawrenceville, were married at Elmira, N. Y. Saturday by the Rev. F. W. Ashquith, of the Baptist church. The attendants were Miss Miriam M. Clark, of Buffalo, N. Y., and George Vail Clarendon, of Tioga.

LEFFLER--Mrs. Ruhama Joy died at her home at Jackson Summit, Pa., November 27, 1908, after a very short illness. She was a woman of faultless character and beloved by all who knew her. Mrs. Joy was a daughter of the late Robert and Hannah Leffler, of Daggett, Pa. She was born in Jackson October 24, 1832, where she lived until she was about six years old. June 8, 1851 she was married to William W. Joy, of Racine, Wisconsin, where she lived until June, 1907, when she moved to Jackson Summit, Pa., with her daughter, Mrs. Jerome R. Spencer. The remains were taken to Racine for burial beside her late husband.

MITCHELL--A telegram was received last week from San Pedro Call. telling of the sudden illness and death of little Wallace Mitchell, the nine-year-old son of Ray Mitchell. Death was caused by laryngeal abscess. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell have the sympathy of their many friends and relatives in this vicinity.

On Sunday, August 4, 1912, at 6 p.m., Rev. C. M. Fanning, of Daggett, will immerse all persons who have expressed a desire to be thus baptised, at the swimming pool just west of Millerton. There will be a song service in the church at 7 p.m., and a sermon on "The Judgment" at 7:30 p.m. All services will begin on time.

A very pretty wedding occurred at the home of Mrs. J. J. Garrison, of 607 1/2 College Ave., Elmira, on June 26th at eight o'clock, when her youngest daughter, Clara V., was united in marriage with Mr. Arthur A. Lewis of Elmira. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. K. M. Walker, pastor of the M. E. church of Wellsburg, N. Y. The impressive ring ceremony was solemnized beneath an arch of ferns and cut flowers. Only the immediate relatives were present. The presents were beautiful and costly. After congratulations the company repaired to the dining-room, where they partook of a delicious wedding supper. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis left for New York and other points of interest. After Sept. 1st they will be at home at No. 237 Mt. Zoar St., Elmira.

EVERETT--Mrs. James Hamilton died Monday evening last, Jan. 23d, at her home in this village, after a lingering and painful illness, which was borne with the utmost patience and Christian fortitude. Deceased was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David Everett, and was very highly regarded by a large circle of friends. She leaves a husband and one daughter, Mrs. Harry Allen, and a host of friends who mourn her loss. The funeral was on Wednesday at Kelly town and the burial in the cemetery at that place. Monroe Miller officiating.

SMITH--Mr. and Mrs. Berton M. Smith sadly mourn the loss of their bright little son, Max Berton, who died at their home in Rutland on Sunday, Sept. 23d, aged two years and 20 days, after an illness of two weeks, of cholera infantum. He was tenderly cared for by loving ones doing all that mortal could do, but to no avail; and at last the slender thread was broken and the soul took its flight. The funeral was held at Roseville M. E. church under the able charge of Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Young. The Rev. Foster of Daggett, Pa., assisted by Rev. Reemer, of Roseville, spoke words of comfort and consolation from the test, "It is well with the child." Burial in the family lot in Hope cemetery at Roseville. The bereaved ones have the deep sympathy of their many friends.

(Campbell)--Mrs. Harry Campbell, of State Line, died last Sunday of lockjaw, resulting from an injury to one of her arms. The funeral was held Tuesday, Monroe Miller officiating.

SEAFUSE--Solomon Seafuse, aged ninety-two years, died Saturday at the home of his son Aaron at Wellsburg. The funeral was held Monday at 11 a.m. at the house; burial at Gillett. Deceased was the grandfather of Dr. S. M. Seafuse, of Pine City.

JUDD--We open the forms to announce the death of Conductor Jesse Judd, of apoplexy, which occurred at his home in Blossburg on Thursday morning of this week, after an illness of only one day. He was an excellent official and a square man. More will be said in his honor later.

INGALS--Mrs. Sophia B. Miller Dead. July 30, 1906. She Was in the 93d Year of Her Age. Ill Since February. Mrs. Sophia B. Miller, the oldest woman in this vicinity, passed to her final rest at 6:30 Monday morning. Last February she was taken with paralysis, and had since been in a more or less feeble condition. Up to that time she had been quite active, doing house- work for her son, William, who lived with her and dutifully provided for her needs. Sophia B. Ingals was born in Chemung county, New York, December 13, 1813. In 1833 she was married in Pennsylvania to Robert Miller. They lived in that state until 1850, and then came to Michigan, settlmng upon a farm in Fairfield township. They moved to a suburban home just east of this village in 1884, and here Mr. Miller died in 1888. Both of the sons born to them are yet surviving - William, above mentioned, and Charles, now of Gibsland, La. These sons were long in the railway service, North and South, holding responsible positions as conductors and in other capacities. Charles is now postmaster at Gibsland. There is one grandchild-Miss Annie Miller, daughter of William, who resides at Goshen, Ind. Deceased was the oldest of ten children in the parental Ingals family, of whom there are yet three survivors-Charles S. Ingals, the retired attorney of this place; Miss Sarah Ingals and Mrs. Namah Jones, of Chemung county, N. Y. Mrs. Miller was a believer in the doctrines of the Universalist church. Christian charity in its practical form was the visible evidence of her relief. From the cradle to the grave in her case was a wide stretch of life, which only the excep- tional ones are permitted to traverse. It was a long human journey, and in her course of travel, so to speak, she did her duty as she saw it. She was ready to "bind up the wounds" of afflicted ones that, faint and weary, dropped by the wayside. She gave them the "cup of cold water;" she gently touched them in death, - a host of those near her in that uncertain journey through all those many years. And so with courage and faith and love she passed along, hum- bly and gently, till the way worn limbs could no more bear the burden of age, and she, too lay herself down to rest for aye. The lives of the "Aunt Sophias" are a blessing to the world. Funeral services were held at her late home Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Henry Coate offici- ating. The singers were Mrs. Campbell, James Triggs and wife, E. B. Butler. The pall bear- ers - Clark Southworth, E. J. Wells, R. P. Boody, James Eldredge, James Wyman, Anson Sebring. Among relatives and friends present were Robert Carpenter, John Patterson and wife, H. Goldsmith and wife, Mrs. Tubbs and son, of Fairfield; Mrs. William Miller and daughter Anna, of Goshen, Ind.

BOWE--Louis Bower Drinks Poison After Brooding Over the Death of Son--Is Dead When Physician Answers Summons. Louis Bower, 42 years old, a farmer residing on Dutch Hill, in the township of Big Flats, committed suicide Friday afternoon by drinking the contents of a small bottle of acid. Despondency, caused by brooding over the death of a son, Robert, more than a year ago, is believed to have prompted the man to take his life. Mr. Bower drank the poison shortly after 4 o'clock. He was found by his wife and 13-years old son, Louis, Jr., to whom he related what he had done. He asked them to summon a physician. Dr. Ernest G. Treat of 637 West Church street was notified after considerable delay in reaching a telephone, but when he arrived at the Bower home the victim was dead. Accor- ding to the information given Dr. Treat, Mr. Bower visited Elmira Friday morning and purchased the small vial of acid. Returning home, it is believed he pondered over his intention for some time before finally deciding to take his life. The decedent lived on a dairy farm of about 75 acres. His brother, Fred Bower, occupies a nearby farm. He is survived by his wife, two sons, Louis, Jr., and Frederick, aged 11, and a sister, Mrs. Burt Richards of Caton Center. George B. Bower of 808 Maple avenue is a cousin. A certificate of death by suicide was issued by Dr. Treat, who is health officer for the town of Southport.

STURDEVANT--Mrs. Sabrina Smith died Friday afternoon at 5:25 o'clock at the family home on the Bird Creek road in Wells Township, Pa., aged eighty-nine years. She is survived by five daughters, Mrs. Carrie Eaton, Mrs. John Balmer, Miws Anna Smith, all of Pine City; Mrs. S. P. Goodwin, Mrs. Emma Criss of Millerton, Pa.; a son, John Smith of Pine City; a brother, M. D. Sturdevant of Mansfield, Pa. The funeral will be held at the family home Monday at 1 o'clock. Burial in the Pine City cemetery.

TANNER--Mildred L. Tanner, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Tanner, died$Saturday morning. She is survived by the parents and on brother, Gerald. A prayer service was held at the home, 206 College avenue, Elmira Heights, this afternoon at 2 o'clock. The Rev. Charles W. Walker officiated. Burial was in Woodlawn cemetery.

JENKINS--Alfred B. Jenkins died at the family residence, 110 West Gray street, Sunday morning at 6 o'clock, aged seventy-four years. He formerly resided in Finlay, Oh., and for the past twenty years had made his home in Elmira. For twelve years he had managed two concessions at Eldridge park. The remains repose in the Wilson undertaking rooms. The funeral will be held at the home of Mr. Stephen Myers, 370 E. Warren street, Wednesday at 4 o'clock. Burial in Woodlawn cemetery.

ROBERTS--Byron Robert(contributed.) The death of Byron Roberts, late of Judson Hill, Pa., on November 17 removed from that community one of its most respected and beloved residents. Past seventy-two years of age, he spent his entire life at Judson Hill. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Roberts and was born on the same farm on which he died. For several years, Mr. Roberts was not actively engaged in farming because of declining health and passed his time with his family. If his life had been spared, he would have been married fifty years on March 24, 1924. The decedent from his youth had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Judson Hill. He is survived by his widow, two daugh- ters, Mrs. William Chamberlain of Gillett, Pa. and Mrs. Harry J. Courtright of Elmira; two sons, Charles B. Roberts of Gillett and Bert E., of Horseheads; ten grand (nothing more on page.)

(Allen)--The funeral of Mrs. Ralph Allen was held this afternoon at 1:30 o'clock at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Allen, on West Hudson street. The Rev. A. L. Hobart offici- ated and the pallbearers were Jay Beach, Charles Holmes, Harry Haskell and Burt Gerould of this city; Fred Messing of New York City and Elmer Krootz of Lock, N. Y. Mrs. Edson Daggett and Harry Lundy sang the hymns. Burial was in Woodlawn cemetery.

DOOLITTLE--Amos Doolittle died at the family home, 452 West Thurston street, Sunday morning, at 3:30 o'clock, aged seventy-five years. Mr. Doolittle was a quiet unassuming man, who enjoyed a large circle of friends. He was born in Pointed Post in 1849, coming to Elmira early in life and took up his residence in the house where he died. He was married in 1872 to Miss Laura Raymond. Mr. Doolittle was an employe of the New York State Reformatory in this city for 27 years, having earned two gold stars and a silver star. He retired several years ago. He is survived by his widow; four sons; George, Raymond and Joseph of Elmira, and LeRoy of Detroit, Mich., a daughter, Mrs. W. H. Crosby of Corning; five grandchildren, Mrs. William Hamel, Jr., of Corning, Mrs. Arthur Bartan, Mrs. Clyde Kurtz and Clifford Doolittle, all of Elmira; a great-grandson, Darrel Crosby Hamel. The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the family home, the Rev. John V. Darrow officiating. Burial at Maple Grove cemetery Horseheads.

FRENCH--Helen French Seeley was born on Jusdon Hill in Wells, Pa., Aug. 13th 1860, and died Jan. 29th, 1908 at the hospital in Rochester, Minn. Helen French was converted and joined the Methodist Episcopal church in her early childhood and always took an active part in church work. When the writer was pastor of the charge Mrs. Seeley was the leading member if the Judson Hill church. Nearly three years ago M. and Mrs. F. H. Seeley and family moved West. Mrs. Seeley's health had been failing since last July. January 19th she went to the hospital in Rochester, Minn., where she lived but fifteen hours after an operation. The funeral was held in the church at Wells, Pa., Feb 3d, 1908 at 2 p.m. The services were conducted by her former pastor, Rev. K. M. Walker, now of Wellsburg, N. Y., assisted by Rev. M. D. Foster, pastor of the church, and Rev. J. W. Miller, pastor of the M. E. church in Millerton. Mrs. LeRoy Ayers, of Job's Corners and Mrs. A. E. Barnhart, of Bulk Head, N. Y., sang three selections. The church was filled to the doors, which speaks of the many friends the deceased has in her old home. Burial was at Wells, Pa. Deceased is survived by her husband, Frank H. Seeley, two sons, Henry Seeley and George Seeley, all of Rockford, Iowa. Her father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. French, of Wells, Pa., and four sisters; Mrs. Chas. Voorhess, of Philadelphia, Mrs. D. H. Ryon, of Corning, N. Y., Mrs. F. C. Garrison, of Job's Corners and Miss Bella French, of Wells, Pa., also survive ler. K.M.W.

CANFIELD--Frank Canfmeld, of 108 West Hudson street, died at 1 o'clock Sunday morning, aged twenty-four years. The remains repose at the Campbell undertaking rooms. He is sur- vived by his widow; his mother, Mrs. George Canfield of Wells, Pa.; a sister, Mrw. Emmett Miller of Elmira; three brothers, Loren A., of Elmira; Ray of Millerton, Pa., and Chares of Blue Springs, Neb. The funeral will be held at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon at the Meth- odist Episcopal Church at Mosherville. Burial in the Mosherville cemetery.

(Kelley) --SARAH ANNA KELLEY DIES IN SAGETOWN (Special to The Star-Gazette.) Sagetown, Oct. 25. -- Mrs. Sarah Ann Kelley, aged 79 years, died Friday morning of Bright's disease at the home of her son Ora Kelley. She is survived by four sons and two daughters, Lemond, Ora and James of Sagetown, Enoch of Elmira, Mrs. Marcia Cornell of Caton and Mrs. Amanda Hunt of Elmira. Several grandchildren also survive.

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 14 OCT  98
By Joyce M. Tice