The History Center on Main Street

61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Tri-Counties Genealogy & HIstory

Newspaper Clippings & Obituaries for Tioga, Bradford, Chemung Counties

Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts      Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts      Obituaries By Cemetery
Tri County Clippings- Page Thirty Seven
From the Cook Scrapbook-

Copied from a copy in possession of Kelsey Jones. Retyped by Barbara SAXBURY Freeman, Gloria (Meg) Wilkinson, Jill Toia. 

Lyman Covell, the Oldest Citizen of Elmira Passes Away. About 5½ o'clock last Friday evening the vital spark left the inform body of Lyman Covell, the oldest citizen of Elmira, and the respected and aged man was no more. Four weeks ago to-morrow he fell while going across the floor of his house, injuring his hip and after taking to his bed on account of the accident, did not rise again. The history of his life is a grand one. No other man had seen so much of Elmira as he. For seventy years he had resided here, and built up a character that everyone admired, and which made him remembered most kindly during his many years of old age after he had relinquished the cares of business to younger heads and hands. His native place as Wilkesbarre, where he was born in 1795, April 10th. He was a son of Dr. Matthew Covell, a native of Glastonbury, Conn., and among the leading physicians of that part of the country. Dr. Matthew Covell died when his son Lyman was only fourteen years old, and at that age the latter came immediately to Elmira. He became a clerk in the store of his brother Robert, a partner of Stephen Tuttle. The present Homestead hotel was for many years Stephen Tuttel's [house] and the store stood on the opposite side of the street. In 1820 Lyman began a general mercantile business on his own responsibility on Water street about opposite Fox street and soon after the brick store, which is still standing and is occupied now by J. A. Wilkey as a cigar store. Mr. Covell built the house at the north west corner of Fox and Water streets where he lived for sixty years and where he died last evening. After doing business for forty years and amassing considerable property he retired from business, devoting his time to looking after his property. Fox street was opened by him and George Fox of New York. He had been president of the Chemung canal bank. The first surrogate of Chemung county, supervisor of the town, and sheriff of Tioga county before the division of counties. In 1818 he married Susan, daughter of William Dunn, who died in 1864. Mr. Covell's children are Alice, (Mrs. John Hamlin), and John, a physician of Forreston, Ill., who is now in the city. Mr. Covell's sister, Mrs. Dr. Asa R. Howe, died in the summer of 1884 at a very advanced age. The funeral was held on Monday.

Helen Josephine Mansfield, the woman for whom Stokes shot Jim Fisk in January, 1872, died at Delano, N. J., May 10th. She was a Massachusetts girl, was married in 1866 to Frank Lawler, and divorced in 1867. She met Fisk in 1868. After Fisk was shot in 1872, she lived for some time in Paris, but returned to New York in 1875 and lived a secluded life. She was of very attractive appearance and fascinating manners.

Bennett Reynolds died last Friday morning at his home in Rutland, of paralysis. He was in his eighty-third year, and had resided on the farm where his death occurred for over sixty-two years. He was born in Rutland county, Vt., Aug. 11, 1807, and in 1828 came with his parents to this county, most of which was at that time an unbroken forest. His wife died two years ago. He leaves besides three sons and two daughters, two sisters; Mrs. P. V. VanNess and Mrs. John Smith of Mansfield and Rutland, respectively. The funeral was held on Sunday at Elk Run, Rev. Adams, of Mainesgburg officiating.

death of edward H. Ayres

Edward H. Ayres died between 9 and 10 o'clock Monday morning of typhoid fever and partial paralysis. Deceased was stricken several weeks ago and his death was a great shock to his numerous friends and business acquaintances. He was thirty-five years of age, and had been successfully engaged in the jewelry and insurance business a number of years. He was a young man of sterling worth., and his death is a loss to the community. A devout Christian and an upright man of business, he won the esteem and respect of all who knew him. His father, S. Ayres, has been a prominent citizen of Elmira for a number of years. Two brothers, Will and Fred Ayres are lawyers in Syracuse, and a sister, Mrs. A. O. Houghton, resides in Auburn. The funeral occurred Thursday afternoon from the family residence, corner of Lake and East Second streets. Many sympathizing friends and neighbors were present, their countenances expressing the sorrow they felt at the death of the able young man, whose prosperous career was cut off at a period in his life when the future outlook was bright and cheering. The several jewelry stores were closed during the funeral and the jewelers attended in a body. Members of the board of fire underwriters, which adopted suitable resolutions expressive of regret at his death and condolence to the bereaved family, were also present. Rev. Dr. Wilbor, of whose church the deceased had been a devout member, spoke of his manly traits of character, and the Rev.Thomas K. Beecher, who had long been his friend offered a prayer, after which Dr. Wilbor delivered the benediction. The burial was private, services at the grave being conducted by Rev. A. O. Houghton, a brother-in-law of the deceased. The pall-bearers were Hosmer Billings, George Pickering, Casper Decker, Boyd McDowell, George. F. Halcomb and Clayton Gerity.

Thomas Horton, a former resident of Rutland township, was buried here last week Thursday in the Roseville cemetery. He was about 80 years of age, and died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Oliver Goodwin, of Southport, N. Y.

After a long illness, Mrs. David Gardner, a daughter of Mrs. Polly Stout, has died. She has been a great sufferer for about three months. She leaves a husband, one child three months of age, two brothers, D. W. and J. T. Stout, and three sisters. The funeral services were held in the M. E. Church last week Thursday. Rev. John Cole preached the sermon and his brother assisted.

Godfrey Rhinesmith, father of Stephen Rhinesmith of this place, died at the home of a daughter in Elmira on Tuesday last, aged eighty five years. Deceased visited his friends here about three weeks ago, and was remarkable active and sprightly for his years. He has long been troubled with heart disease, however, and his last illness was consequently of short duration. The funeral was held in Elmira on Thursday.

SWINGLE—JENNINGS—At Pine City, N. Y. April 2, 1891, at the residence of Mr. Frank Platt uncle of the bride, fy Rev. W. D. St. John, Miss Muzia Dora Swingle, to Mr. Watson Jennings, both of Kipp, Pa.

GILBERT—HOLTON—At Pine City, N. Y. March 29, 1891, by same, Miss Sara Gilbert of Rutland, Pa., to Mr. Eugene Holton, of Bailey Creek, Pa.

We are in receipt of a letter from C. W. Cole, one of the evangelists who held wigwam meetings here last spring, announcing the death of his wife, which occurred at Athens, Pa., June 26th. Deceased was forty-two years of age, and leaves a husband and five children, the youngest only three months old. She was a daughter of the late John Owen of Wysox, Pa., where the remains were conveyed for burial.

Another old landmark gone—Uriah Lucas is dead. Burial was at Job's Corners Monday.

Stephen Rogers and wife were called to Austinville last Sunday, the latter's half-sister, Mrs. Cropsey, being dead. The burial was at Austinville.

Old Samuel Knight was buried here last week Thursday. He was about ninety years old. He lost his wife two years ago, and the two aged people now lie side by side.

—The sad news was received in this city Thursday of the death, at her home, at Fort Hamilton, Staten Island, of Mrs. F. D. Hoskins, wife of the former beloved pastor of Grace church. Death was due to peritonitis. Deceased leaves to mourn her loss besides her husband, two sons, Francis E. and Thomas.

Jefferson Prutsman, an old and highly respected resident of Rutland, dropped dead in a field while sowing oats on Wednesday of last week. Deceased was one of the most prominent citizens and farmers of Rutland. He was nearly seventy-three years old, having been born in 1821. In former days he was a great raftsman, having run the river for many years as a pilot, being considered one of the best, Mr. Prutsman was influential in his section of the county, and served three terms as justice of the peace. He leaves a widow and four children, two sons and two daughters. His health had been poor for some time, but his sudden death was a shock to a large circle of warm friends.

FRIDAY'S GHASTLY TRAGEDIES It seems All the Trouble Occurs on That Day. Superstitious people believe Friday to be an unlucky day. Mrs. Eilenberger killed Edwards on Friday, young Warren shot his father one Friday morning. Tinklepaugh put four bullets in Harvey Coleman's body Friday night some months ago, and Decker fatally shot the woman who jilted him Friday evening last. Six years ago last Friday Byron Fairbanks shot a young man in the fifth yard, who with some others, was celebrating All Halloween night.

—Mrs. McClure, widow of the late James McClure, of Columbia, Bradford county, and mother of Lyman McClure, a late resident of Jackson Centre, died on the 3d Inst., aged seventy-six years. She was a lady very highly esteemed by all who knew her. The funeral was held at the Presbyterian Church in Wells, Pa.

—Miss Bessie Jones, editor of a democratic newspaper at Athens, O. is described as "the wittiest and brightest girl that can be found between the rising and the setting of the sun."


Married, at Elk Run, Pa, May 24th, 1891, by C.W. Kelley, Esq., Mr. Henry J French, of Jackson and Miss Martha E Walker, of Elk Run, Pa.

---Mr. Rush Crippen and Miss Lottie Seely, both of Rutland, were married recently.

A. J. McCarrick of Canton village left this morning for Roxberry, N. Y., where he will to-morrow be married to Miss Ruie Montgomery.

Daggett’s Mills enjoyed a sensation in the form of a romantic wedding last Monday. John Rathboue and Mrs. Mary Stevens; two aged people whose hearts seem to have been susceptible and unscared by time, were united in the holy bonds of wedlock after a courtship covering a period of one day. Our informant states that the bride was left a grass widow some forty years ago, and it is not to be wor**ed at that she finally became tired of w***ing in single harness and welcomed the opportunity of a settlement in life. the groom hails from somewhere down *** plank road. Having left far behind the age of puppy-love, it is safe to say that the happy couple will settle right down to business. The ADVOCATE extends congratulations. LATER-- A card received this Tuesday morning from our Daggett’s Mills reporter stated that the marriage had ********** , so above announcement ******* mature. The contracting parties **** portion, find ** suitable person *** (rest unreadable)

--At the marriage of Miss Nellie Hazlett to Alfred S. Rhodes at Tioga last Thursday, the bride’s father, George W. Hazlett, wore the same suit of clothes in which he was married twenty-nine years ago. It had been carefully preserved and fitted him as well as ever.

DEWITT-HINCKLEY The residence of the Rev. M. F. DeWitt, 614 Park place, was the scene of a pretty wedding Thursday evening, at 1 o’clock, the home being darkened and beautifully illuminated throughout. The contracting parties were Miss E** Ma* Hinckley, of North Hector, N. Y., and Walter F. DeWitt of Elmira, N. Y. They were married by the groom’s father, the Rev. M. F. DeWitt. Messrs. M. G. Lamb and S. T. Covert acted as groomsmen, while sisters of the groom performed the duties of bridesmaids. The handsome bride was attired in a salmon pink silk and diamonds. During the ceremony the brides party stood in the drawing room, which was handsomely decorated with flowers, there being present only the immediate relatives of the families. Mr. and Mrs. DeWitt left on a two weeks’ trip north, carrying with them the kind wishes of their many friends.

Robert McClain and bride expect soon to commence housekeeping.

Last Tuesday a large company of friends assembled at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Strange in Sullivan, to witness the marriage of Mary Esther, their eldest daughter, to Mr. Morrison F. Rose, a leading Mainesburg merchant. The happy couple, who are greatly esteemed, were united by Rev. George H. Trapp, of Covington. They left the same afternoon for a trip to Niagara Falls. There were numerous wedding presents, including a silver tea service. Mr. and Mrs. Rose will commence housekeeping at Mainesburg on their return from their wedding journey. 


Lines in memory of Dannie Bolton, who died Thursday, August 21: Dannie has left this world of sin. To dwell with the angels evermore--- He has gone to that heavenly home of peace. To that bright, eternal shore.

We miss out little Dannie, But ‘tis sweeter far to know, That he’s safe from all life’s troubles, From all sorrow, pain and woe.

He never knew any sorrow or care, For he was not long on earth Before the angels called him From out of this wicked world.

His father and mother stood weeping, To loose the bright light of their home; But he’s safe in God’s safe keeping, From where none wish to roam.

‘Twas sad to part with their Dannie, For he was their pride and joy. But when all life’s sorrows are over They will meet their darling boy. 

IN MEMORY OF CHARLES WILLIAMS (?) (Published by request) Come, kind friends, and hear me tell Of a sad, sad fate that late befell A blooming youth in pride of life, Called from this world of care and strife.

He was his father’s hope and joy, His mother’s loving, tender boy; O, how his parents’ hearts did bleed To part with one they so much need.

To him the future did look bright, All future prospects shone with light, But of him it soon was said, He lies numbered with the dead.

He performed his duties without fear; Was loved by all his friends most dear; But, oh! that messenger has come And bore him to his last, long home.

His three brothers now are left-- They mourn with those that are bereft; His two sisters also mourn, To think their brother is from them torn.

A vacant chair stands around the hearth, That once was filled with joy and mirth, For their dear Charlie has gone away; His savior called, he could not stay.

Oh, that my pen could plainly tell The sorrow now his parents feel; Me thinks their hearts with grief are torn, While here on earth they’re left to mourn.

Parents, remember, God knows best; He called him home, we trust, to rest; And very soon the time will come When you will join your own dear son.

To all his young associates, Of this sad tale a warning take, Although you are young, but yet you may, Like this young man, soon pass away. 

IN MEMORIAM. Lines on the Death of Annie Irene Farr, Aged Nine Months, Nineteen Days, Died July 25. We remember how we loved her, When a little, guiltless child; When we saw her in the cradle, As she looked on us and smiled; Our cup of happiness was full, Our joy words cannot tell, And we blessed the glorious giver Who doeth all things well!

Months passed. That bud of promise Was unfolding every hour, And we thought that earth had never Smiled upon do fair a flower; So beautiful, it well might grace The place where angels dwell, And waft its fragrance to his throne Who doeth all things well!

We remember well our sorrow As we stood beside her bed, And our deep and heartfelt anguish As they told us she was dead. And, oh! that cup of bitterness; Let not our heart rebel! God gave, he took, he will restore; He doeth all things well! 

Jackson Wilcox, a former resident of this township, died at his home in Elmira early last Tuesday morning, of a complication of diseases, aged about sixty-six years. The funeral was held at Alder Run church Wednesday afternoon, and the remains were interred in Alder Run cemetery.

Julius Bush, the young man who was accidentally shot in the cheek by the discharge of a target rifle at Academy Corners a few days ago, died last week Wednesday night.

-- The funeral of the late Francis Gitchell, was held from the Methodist church at Mainesburg last week Tuesday. He was born at Rutland, Vt., Nov. 10, 1806, and died Nov. 25, 1894, at his home on Rumsey Hill, in Sullivan township, and lived a few years on the Gillett farm above the old plaster mill. When he was ten years old his parents moved to the farm adjoining his own. In 1831 he married Susan Lovell, who died a year ago. He had no particular disease, simply the breaking down of old age.

--Mr. Martin, father of Mrs. F. A. Allen, of Mansfield, died at 5 o’clock last Sunday morning at the advanced age of 92 years. He had been sick only a week or so and before his sickness was hale and hearty. He was formerly a resident of Potter county, but for the last few years he had lived with his daughter, Mrs. Allen, at Mansfield.

Death of a Waverly Physician. Waverly N.Y., Feb. 5-Dr. C. Vanderlip, a prominent physician and dentist of this village died at 10 o’clock last night after an illness of about ten days. He was taken with the grippe which developed into pneumonia.

Mrs. Martin Lewis, who has been an invalid and suffered untold misery and pain for the space of 17 years with consumption, died last week. She was reduced to a mere skeleton.

---Fred Cook, a Jackson Center young man, aged about nineteen years, died on Thursday morning of this week, of typhoid fever, his sickness dating only from last Saturday. Deceased was well known in this village, and his sudden death occasioned surprise and regret. He was a son of Luther Cook, who is thus doubly bereaved, having buried an infant of three months last Saturday.

RUMSEY - Susan, wife of F. W. Gitchell, was born Sept. 11, 1810, at Mahoopany, Pa., and died Oct. 3d on Rumsey Hill, about a mile from Mainsburg. She was married March 3d, 1831, and went to housekeeping in a small house near the one in which she died. She leaves, besides a husband, five daughters all married; eleven grandchildren, ten great-grandchildren and a large circle of friends to mourn their loss. She united with the Baptists at the age of 16 and continued to her death. Elder Troxel preached an excellent discourse from Rev (rest unreadable)

Mrs. Charlotte Hill Gillett, the widow of the late Aaron Gillett, died yesterday at the residence of her grandson, O. E. Wolcott, in East Corning. She was a sister of Noble Hill of Corning. She was 85 years old.

William Canfield, aged about 60 years, employed on the farm of Frank Cassada near Pine City, went to work Monday morning, taking his dinner with him. Failing to return home that evening his family became uneasy, and a search resulted in the finding of his lifeless body in the field Tuesday morning. A portion of his dinner had been eaten, the remainder being in the pail. Watchers remained with the body until the presence of the coroner could be secured, who decided that an inquest was unnecessary, when it was removed to his home near by. Deceased was a veteran of the late war, and leaves a wife and one son. The widow is a sister of Wm. Johnson, of Wells, Pa. The funeral was held at Mosherville on Wednesday.

A little daughter of Andrew Canfield died at his home near State Line last Sunday. It will be remembered that the child’s mother died a little less than three months ago. Mr. Canfield is the recipient of general sympathy in his troubles.

Mrs. Andrew Canfmeld, who died at Elmira on Saturday last, was buried in Mosherville cemetery Monday; Rev. F. Sherer, of Pine City, officiated. Deceased was 31 years of age and the cause of her death was cancer. She is survived by a husband and three children. The have the sympathy of all in their sad bereavement.

Death of Mrs. Arad T. Smith. Mrs. Arad T. Smith, of No. 519 West First street, died at her home yesterday morning$at 4 o’clock, of strangulated hernia, from which she has been a sufferer for a long time. She was the wife of Arad T. Smith, the West Water street groceryman, and had a large number of friends in this city. She was fifty-one years of age and leaves no children. Mr. Smith leaves at 9 o’clock Monday morning with the remains, for Mainesburg, Pa., where the funeral will be held.

Death of John Hoffman. We are in receipt of a letter from Mrs. Julette C. Wolff, of Mendota, Ill., containing the sad news of the death of her father, John Hoffman, an old-time resident of this section. She writes: “He was only sick three days, and when we called a physician he did not seem to think but that he would get better. On the third day, however, he had a chill, his lungs congested immediately and he never rallied. He died on the 18th of April and was buried on Monday, the 20th, at Mendota. He would have been 85 years old on the 23d of May.” Mr. Hoffman will be well remembered by such of our early pioneers as are still living. He married Mary Ann Mann, daughter of Asa Mann, founder of Mansfield, who survives him at an advanced age. He removed to Mendota somewhere from 40 to 50 years ago, and amassed a handsome fortune in farming. Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage several years ago, and the event was given considerable importance by the people of not only Mendota but Chicago as well. The aged couple’s devotion to each other had long been the subject of remark. Some ten or twelve years ago Mr. Hoffman contributed a series of letters to the ADVOCATE which were full of interest to those who delight in recalling the incidents connected with the lives of the early settlers of this region. He was intellectually bright and physically active in old age to a remarkable degree. In addition to his immediate family deceased leaves many other relatives, among whom may be numbered John W. Hoffman, of this village, a nephew. His was an active, useful and successful life; may he rest in peace.

-- Cornelius C. Daggett, of Daggett’s Mills, was arrested in Elmira on Thursday of last week by police, on complaint of Clarence Johnson, who accuses him of poisoning his horse with Paris green a a few days days previous. The parties have been at variance for some time, and Johnson had Daggett arrested a few weeks ago for pointing a gun at him and threatening his life, but the matter was patched up in some way. Daggett is held in Chemung county jail awaiting extradition papers. He is an old resident of Jackson, and many will regret to learn of the fix he is in, and if found guilty will question his sanity. We understand that he denies the accusation; if so, judgment should be suspended pending the investigation that will follow.

--Rev. Thomas Rockwell, of Larned, Kansas, died at Farmington, Pa., May 2, 1891, aged 70 years. Deceased was a brother of Samuel Rockwell, of Lawrence township, and an uncle of Hon. H. H. Rockwell, of Elmira, and Mrs. G. W. Mitchell, of this township. He was born at Sinnsburg, Conn., Oct. 8, 1821, and moved to Southport, N. Y., in 1825. Mr. Rockwell was converted at the age of eighteen years; moved to Lawrenceville in 1839; went West seventeen years ago, where he has since resided. He came East recently; living but two weeks and three hours after his arrival. Deceased was an active member of the Presbyterian Church until he went West, then became a Methodist. His venerable brother, Samuel Rockwell, is the only surviving member of the family. Rev. Rockwell was a local minister and a member of the Southwestern Kansas Conference. The funeral was held on Thursday, the 5th inst., at Lawrenceville Presbyterian Church, Rev. Van Kuren officiating, and the remains were buried in the village cemetery.

--In our issue of the 6th inst. the death of Mrs. Silas Hall was erroneously announced. The deceased lady was Mrs. Eunice Hall, widow of Benjamin Hall, a resident of Daggett’s Mills. Mrs. Hall was twice married, her first husband being Samuel Garrison, and she was the mother of John W. Garrison, of Daggett’s Mills. Mrs. Silas Hall, although well advanced in years and in poor health, was still alive at last accounts. She lives with a daughter at Lamb’s Creek.

--Mr. R. Porter Putnam, who died at Portersville, California, on the 21st ultimo, was formerly a resident of Covington, being a son of General Thomas Putnam. He was 52 years of age.

Died at Landrus, Pa. James Mourhess, woods foreman for the Blossburg coal company, died at Landrus, Pa., Sunday morning. The funeral was held at Blossburg Tuesday afternoon.

Mrs. Albert P. Dart of Wellsboro, a daughter of Gen. Robert C. Cox, died of consumption last week, in her 25th year.

--Wirt D. Pratt, son of V. R. Pratt, of Mansfield, aged about seventeen years, lost his life last Saturday through a shocking accident. While engaged in oiling a windmill his clothing was caught on a set-screw on the rapidly revolving shaft, and being unable to free himself he is supposed to have been drawn against the iron and strangled. The body was not discovered until some hours after the accident. The deceased was a promising young man and an excellent scholar, and his bereaved parents are the recipients of universal sympathy.

--Jacob Allen, a youth of about sixteen years, died at the house of his grandfather, Jacob R. Miller, near this village, at midnight on Monday last. He was a son of Seth Allen, who committed suicide by shooting about nine or ten years ago. The boy had been sickly for years, and was afflicted with a fever sore on one of his legs. His condition for some time has been pitiable, and in this case death was a welcome relief from suffering.

--Chester Stewart, a well-known farmer residing a short distance west of the Bechtol school house, in Jackson township, died on Saturday morning last, after a short illness, aged seventy years. Deceased was a member of Deming Post, G. A. R., of this village, under whose direction the funeral services were conducted Monday afternoon, the burial being performed at Bechtol cemetery. Mr. Stewart was a genial, kindly man, highly esteemed for his integrity and general worth. The attendance at the funeral was very large and the ceremonies quite impressive, as conducted according to the ritual of the order of which he was a valued member.

Death of Mrs. Mary Weaver. Mrs. Mary Weaver, wife of the well-known fifth ward citizen, Jacob Weaver, died Friday morning at 1:30 o’clock, after several weeks’ illness. She leaves a husband and seven children. The deceased was seventy-eight years of age. The funeral will take place this afternoon at 2 o’clock from the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Danenor, No. 257 Baty street. Farewell, my husband dear, farewell, Adieu, farewell to thee. And you my dear children all, Farewell, farewell to you. Our mother is gone and we are left The loss of her to mourn. But may we hope to meet with her With Christ before God’s throne.

John Quincy Brooks sr The news of the death of John Brooks will be received with **** very large number of citizens **** Horseheads and other places in *****. He died about 5 o’clock Sunday ****at his home, near the village of Horseheads. Mr. Brooks was sixty-three years of age **** was born in Vermont, but had lived **** county so many years that he has come to be looked upon as a pioneer. Mr. Brooks was one of the best known as well **** of the most respected gentlemen in the county. He was a brother of Mrs. T. Wales and Mrs. S. O. Gleason of this county and he also leaves a family. Mr. Brooks had lived in Elmira and county since 1856. For a long time was manager of the Water Curo **** was for many years honored with **** important offices in the town of Horseheads. He leaves four children, John and Herbert and Julia and Lucy.

DEMISE OF JOHN BIGGS, SR. --- THE END OF A LIFE OF USEFULNESS CAME EARLY FRIDAY MORNING. --- An Honored and a Prominent Citizen Whose Sturdy Character and Exalted Worth Won For him the Respect and Sincere Esteem of Every One - Appropriate Action By the Common Council and the Board of Health - His Long and Upright Career in Elmira.

John Biggs, sr., died at his residence, No. 503 Baldwin street, Friday morning about 5 o’clock, at the age of sixty-four years. Mr. Biggs had been in poor health for some months past and a few weeks ago was forced to relinquish the cares of business. His condition did not improve and for some weeks before his death he was constantly confined to the bed and finally it became evident to his family and friends that he would never get well. Mr. Biggs was born in Ireland and came to America forty years ago. Five years afterward he was married to Miss Mary Mangan, who, with four children, survive him. They are John, in the employ of Wells, Fargo & Co.; Joseph P., foreman of the TELEGRAM composing room; Mrs. James Terrell and Chris, of the firm of Chris W. Biggs & Co. The deceased was a brother of Peter Biggs and was for a number of years in his employ, previously working at his trade, that of a blacksmith, in the Erie shops. Several years ago Mr. Biggs was appointed street commissioner, an honor to which he was justly entitled on account of long and faithful service in the Democratic party. He was serving in his fifth term and was also a member of the board of health when he died. Mr. Biggs was an indefatigable worker and a capable official. After the June flood he LABORED EARLY AND LATE to repair the damage done, and under his direction the refuse left by the receding waters was speedily cleared away and an epidemic of malignant diseases averted. For nearly two months he devoted all his energies into the accomplishment of what was truly a herculean task, and under the severe mental and physical strain caused by his incessant toil he impaired his health, and those who know the faithful manner in which he performed his duty at that time believe that the June flood of 1889 was indirectly the cause of his death. Mr. Biggs was an upright man, a good citizen and a loyal friend. His sturdy, honest character and unassuming manner won for him the respect and esteem of everyone; he was strong in his convictions and never hesitated to express his honest opinions even when it might have been to his interest, from a worldly point of view, to remain silent. In politics Mr. Biggs was a loyal Democrat, and for years he had held a high place in the councils of the party leaders. His word was better than his bond, and when he made a promise, political or otherwise, he never broke it, no matter how great a pressure was brought to bear to induce him swerve from his original intent. his death is a great blow to his sorrowing family and a loss to the city, for A MAN OF EXALTED WORTH such as he was, in an honor to the community in which he resides. At a special meeting of the board of health held at the mayor’s office yesterday afternoon, the board resolved to attend, with the common council, the funeral of its deceased member, Mr. Biggs, in a body, and a committee, consisting of Dr. F. B. Parks and Commissioners Leary and Flynn, was appointed to draft resolutions expressive of the sorrow of the board at his death. The floral offerings are very beautiful. Among them is a large crown, surmounting a cross, from Messrs. Brooks, Hazard and Hill, proprietors of the TELEGRAM; a magnificent design in the shape of a cross, and a representation of the “Rock of Ages” from the employees of the composing room and the editorial force, and a large and very handsome pillow from the employees of the business office, job room, stereotyping room and press room. The funeral will take place this morning from the house at 9:30 and at SS. Peter and Paul’s church at 10:30 o’clock. SEPARATED BUT A LITTLE WHILE. ---------- The Death of Mrs. John Biggs Follows Closely That of Her Husband. Two weeks ago this morning the remains of the late John Biggs, sr., were laid to rest. In the pathetic and eloquent remarks made over his bier by Father Donohue he prophesied that the tender, loving wife who had been the companion of her husband’s joys and sorrows during thirty-five years of happy wedded life, would soon follow to the impenetrable beyond the noble-minded Christian man, whose death had thrown a cloud of sorrow over the family home, and as the good priest predicted the separation was not to be long delayed and on Wednesday morning a few minutes after the solemn hour of midnight the soul of the bereaved wife passed from its earthly tenement to the home prepared for the chosen of God. For years past Mrs. Biggs was a great sufferer from a painful disease and during the last seven months she was unable to leave her bed, but through her last days on earth were made miserable by bodily anguish she bore her ills uncomplainingly and with the resignation of the true Christian. After her husband’s death she failed rapidly. She grieved over his loss and prayed that they would soon be reunited. For some hours preceding her death she was unconscious and when the end came she died peacefully, as a child falling into a dreamless slumber. Mrs. Biggs was born in the County of Meath, Ireland, and was fifty-eight years of age at the time of her death. Thirty-five years ago she married Mr. Biggs and in the death of father and mother their four children John jr., Joseph P., Chris w,. and Mrs. James Terrell, are twice heavily afflicted in two short weeks. Theirs is, indeed, a darkened household now and the warm sympathy of friends is extended in their great bereavement. The funeral, which was very largely attended, took place Friday morning from the house at 9:30, and at SS. Peter and Paul’s church at 10 o’clock where Rev. Fathers Donohue and Smith celebrated a solemn requiem high mass for the peaceful repose of her soul. After the final ceremonies Father Donohue spoke earnestly and feelingly of the good wife and loving mother whose spirit had joined her husband’s in the land of continual happiness and peace. The floral offerings were magnificent. On the coffin, by her request, were three ivy wreaths and two sheaves of wheat, which had been placed on the casket that bore the remains of the husband of the deceased a few days before. The other tokens of love and sympathy consisted of a large cross from the proprietors of the TELEGRAM, a beautiful anchor and pillow from several gentlemen, a handsome cross from Mr. and Mrs. W. P. Howard, and a wreath of pansies from Mrs. Theodore Metzger, and an anchor from Miss Lottie Horton. The interment was in SS. Peter and Paul’s cometary and the following gentlemen were the pall-bearers: Edward Ryan, John McGreevy, Thomas Gorman, James Lennon, Michael Carey, James Moo*an, Lawrence King and John Raymond, Matthew Mangan, the well-known hotel proprietor of Corning, a nephew of the deceased, attended the (several unreadable lines left)

DEATH OF CHARLES W. SKINNER A Prominent Elmira Business Man Passes Away Monday Evening

The announcement of the death of Charles W. Skinner was received with expressions of profound sorrow by his friends in this city. For several months past Mr. Skinner had been in poor health, but he attended to business cares and was hopeful for recovery almost to the end. He died at 4:30 o’clock Monday evening at his residence on the corner of Market and William streets, death being caused by a complication of diseases, chief among which was hardening of the liver. Mr. Skinner was born at Barr* Center, Orleans county, N.Y., September 9, 1829. In 1858 he went to California, where he made a fortune, returning to New York state and engaging in business in the metropolis some years later where he was very successful. In the year 1866 he removed to Elmira and a year later embarked in the wholesale liquor business on Carroll street. For the past twenty-three years Mr. Skinner was a prominent and influential citizen of Elmira. He was a shrewd business man and an honorable one, and in the growth and progress of the city he took a warm interest and an active part. He was public-spirited and generous-hearted and was a liberal subscriber to all projects that tended to boom the city. When the board of trade was organized, Mr. Skinner contributed as munificently as his means would allow to the fund that was subscribed for the purpose of offering substantial inducements to manufacturers to locate here. To all charities the deceased was a beneficent donor, and many a poor unfortunate who was cheered along life's weary way by his unostentatious acts of kindness, will miss the benefactor who was ever ready to assist a fellow man in distress. Mr. Skinner had amassed a comfortable fortune and during the latter period of his life he enjoyed the fruits of years of well spent toil in business during his younger days. He owned a large orange plantation in Florida end was accustomed to spend the winter in the south with his wife, whom he married ten years ago. The funeral took place Wednesday morning et SS. Peter and Paul’s church, when a solemn high mass was`celebrated for the repose of his soul, at * o’clock. Father O’Connor, of Rochester, who married Mr. and Mrs. Skinner, was the celebrant. The remains were taken to Rochester for interment on the Northern Central train, leaving this city at 10:20. The pallbearers were Hon. S. S. Taylor, Hon. J. J. O’Connor, Jeremiah Connelly, John Connelly, Lawrence E. Galpin, and Henry J. Hoare. The floral offerings were magnifmcent, consisting of$a crown of roses from the employees of the store, a pillow from the Liquor League and Protective association, of which Mr. Skinner was the first president, a basket of flowers from the St. Vincent De Pane society, and basket of flowers from Mrs. S. S. Taylor. A delegation from the Liquor League and Protective association, consisting of John Gilmore, M. A. Kennedy and Charles Snyder accompanied the remains to Rochester. A number of Elmira friends also went to Rochester with the bereaved wife and saw with saddened eyes all that was mortal of an honorable Christian gentleman interred in the beautiful Catholic cemetery in that city. Mr. Skinner in his will bequeathed his entire fortune to his wife, with the exception of a few kind remembrances to dear friends. His businesses will be conducted by Mrs. Skinner, who will retain her late husband’s faithful employees, John M. Connelly, Lawrence E. Halpin and Henry J. Hoare.

CONDUCTOR JUDD DEAD One of the Best Known Railroad Men in This Section Expires. Special Dispatch Blossburg, Pa., April 25 -- J. B. Judd, the well known conductor of the Tioga railroad, died this morning of apoplexy, after an illness of only one day. The remains will be taken to Ithaca to-morrow for burial. The funeral will be in charge of the Masons. J. B. Judd was one of the oldest men in the employ of the Erie railroad. He was first employed in the capacity of a brakeman on a construction train about the year 1850, and after serving for some time was promoted to conducting on one of the first way freight trains on the road. Some time after this he went to the Isthmus of Panama where he had charge of construction of a railroad. He was gone for two or three years and returned and took chavge of a passenger train on the Erie. He was conductor of Erie train 12 which was wrecked in the famous Carr’s Rock disaster, April 14, 1868, Conductor Judd was not injured, but Mrs. John Deeker and Seymour Fairman of this city were killed. Jesse Owens of this city was in the postal service at that time and was on the train. Mrs. Dan Noble was also a passenger and claimed to have lost much valuable jewelry in the wreck. Mr. Judd was appointed superintendent of the Barclay railroad, a leased line of the Erie running from Towanda, Pa., to the Barclay Mines. He remained on that line until the lease expired in 1889. He was employed after this for a short time on a construction train on the D., I., & W. railroad. Superintendent Cable was general manager of the Denver & Rio Grande railroad about that time and sent for Mr. Judd to come to Denver, where he was given a position on the road. When Superintendent Cable returned to the ***** ** *** *** ******* charge of the S******** and Tioga divisions, Mr. Judd returned to the East and was given charge of the *** on ******* Hill and was ***** given charge of a passenger line in the Tioga division. He was conductor of the train that was wrecked at Tioga ***** five or six years ago in wh (rest unreadable) 


--Mr. John Brown, who lives in the edge of Wells township, a short distance from Daggett’s Mills, was stricken with paralysis last Tuesday, and when last heard from was in a very critical condition.

--Mr. Silas Hall, of Mansfield, formerly of Daggett’s Mills, a staunch friend of the ADVOCATE and one of its oldest patrons, was in town Wednesday and made us a pleasant call. He is in quite poor health and his visit to the place was for the purpose of consulting Dr. N. Smith, his former family physician. Mr. Hall’s many friends in Jackson will join with us in the hope of his speedy recovery.

Master Avery, son of David Scott, had a serious accident Friday last while coasting. Running into a fence, a sharp stick passed in between his eyes about an (inch?). Dr. Voorhess dressed the (rest unreadable) 

THOMAS SPAULDING The Well Known Elmiran Dies at the Hospital. A LONG,USEFUL LIFE ENDED He never Recovered consiousness After Falling from His Sleigh--A Sketch of His Long and Useful Career in This City. Judge Thomas S. Spaulding died at 8:35 o'clock Wednesday night at the Arnot-Ogden hospital. Judge Spaulding had met with an accident Tuesday afternoon by falling from his sleigh and was afterwards found in an unconscious condition with several bad chuts on his head. It was further stated that the Judge had probably suffered a stroke of apoplexy which was the cause of his falling out of the sleigh. He never recovered consciousness and it was apparent from the start that he would be unable to rally from the shock. He had been in ill health a number of years and had lived a retired life at his pleasant home on College Avenue. Judge Spaulding waw born at Summer Hill, Cayuga County in 1810. When six years old his parents removed to Groton, Tompkins County. He was educated at Homer, Cortland county, and first studied law in Ithaca. In 1830 he came to Elmira and finished his preliminary legal education in the office of Gray & Hathaway. He was admitted to the bar at Delhi in 1851. He commenced to practice in this city at once having formed a partnership with Judge Wismern Later the form of Dunn, Spaulding &? Babcock was formed. Judge Spaulding soon rose to eminence`in his profession which position he attained through his remarkable ability. He took a great intevest in politics and was identiied with the village and city in various official positions. He served as president of the village before it became a city and was for twelve years justice of the peace. He also served as a member of the Boerd of Education for two terms being its president in 1871-1872. He served as County judge for ten years being first elected to the office in 1868 for a term of four years and again in 1872 for a term of six years. He had been twice married, his first wife being Miss Carpenter of Chemung, and his second wife was Miss Page of Athens, Pa., who now survives him. He had three children, all of whom have, however, preceded him to the grave. Judge Spaulding continued activity in the practice of the law until a few years ago when he was forced to retire on account of failing health. In all official positions and in all the walks of life his fidelity to his trusts, his patient, considerate attention to all impovtant duties were marked characteristics and he never swerved from the strict performance of these duties
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 14 OCT 98
By Joyce M. Tice