History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Joseph succeeded to a part of the homestead, and lived and died on the same farm. His wife was a daughter of Thomas and Betsy (Wright) Manley, by whom he had nine children, as follows: Charlotte (Mrs. Capt. James Ingham), Sheldon H., Hiram, Helen (Mrs. Charles Spalding), Lorenda (Mrs. Chester Thomas, Jr.), Ann (Mrs. Burton Montgomery), Marion (Mrs. D.J. Manley), Eliza (Mrs. Addison Wilson), and Isadore (Mrs. Theron Sweet), all of whom are living; as are also the eleven children of Thomas Manley. The father added largely to the acreage of the old homestead, clearing and improving much of it, and died there in 1884. Sheldon H. Lindley, the subject of this sketch, succeeded him to the homestead, on which he has resided since 1865. He married, December 17, 1857, Josephine, daughter of Chester and Thankfull (Stevens) Thomas, of Canton, by whom he had six children, as follows: Helen (deceased), Fannie (Mrs. Edward Colwell), Thomas, Jozy, Chester, and Emma (deceased). Mr. Lindley is a member and trustee of the Presbyterian Church at Canton, is now serving his second term as commissioner of Bradford county, and in politics is a Republican.
ANTHONY LODER, brewer, Towanda, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, August 27, 1823, and is a son of Joseph and Josephine (Meyer) Loder. He was reared in his native province, where he learned the brewers’ and malsters’ trade. In 1852 he came to America, and in the spring of 1853 settled in Allentown, Pa., where he was in the employ of different breweries for several years, and in 1858-59 was in business for himself there; in 1860 he removed to Towanda, where he erected a brewery, and has since conducted a successful business – manufacturing from 1,200 to 1,400 barrels of beer annually. In 1857 Mr. Loder married, in Allentown, Pa., Veronica Rother, formerly of Germany, by whom he has one son living, Anthony Jr., born July, 1860, and married, in 1885, to Clara, daughter of Valentine Smith, of Dushore, Pa.; they have three children, viz.: Catherine, Veronica and Gertrude. Mr. Loder, Sr., married (for his second wife) Catherine Bing, of Dushore, Pa., by whom he has two children, as follows: Mary and Annie. Mr. Loder and family are members of the Catholic Church; in politics he is a Democrat.
NATHAN LOEWUS, a prominent, leading dry-goods merchant, Towanda, was born in Bohemia, Austria, March 19, 1852, and is a son of Simon and Hannah (Sattler) Loewus. He was reared and educated in his native country, where he also learned the tanner’s trade, and came to America in 1872, landing in New York City, where he worked at his trade two years, and later at Tunkhannock, Pa., five years. In 1879 he located at Towanda, where he engaged in the dry-goods and notion business, and later added a crockery department, in which he successfully continued up to the fall of 1890. During the year 1890 he erected the Loewus Block, one of the finest buildings in Towanda, and, in October of the same year, embarked therein, in the dry-goods, carpet, cloak, and millinery business, and carries one of the largest and most select stocks to be found in Bradford county, occupying two large floors to transact his business, and accommodate his large and increasing trade. Mr. Loewus was married, November 15,
1874, to Hannah, daughter of Viet and Esther (Hermann) Loewy, of Bohemia, and has three children, viz: Estelle, Bernard and Gertrude. Mr. Loewus is one of Towanda’s enterprising and leading citizens, and is a member of the Jewish Synagogue and Jewish Society of New York, of the I.O.O.F. of Towanda, and in politics he is a Democrat.
ALONZO LONG (deceased) was a native of Wilmington, Vt., born March 4, 1806, and died in this county in 1867. He was a son of Maj. Ezra and Lydia (Alford) Long, natives of Wilmington, who came to Troy, this county, about 1812. Maj. Long was engaged in the mercantile, milling and distillery businesses, and built the "Troy House;" was a prominent Freemason. Their family consisted of five sons and three daughters, two of whom, Philander and Ezra, received a classical education, Ezra graduating at Union College. Alonzo Long came with his family to Troy, then called Sugar Creek, when he was five years of age; he was a farmer, and was engaged in the saw and grist mills and real estate businesses. He was married in Athens, April 28, 1833, to Mary, daughter of Francis and Anna (McDuffee) Tyler, the latter of whom was born near Belfast, Ireland, and came to this county when three years of age. Francis Tyler was a native of Athens. He purchased a tract of land near Athens, farmed and dealt extensively in lumber and rafting on the river; served as constable; also organized the first State Bank in Waverly; he was presidential elector in the Taylor campaign. Mr. Tyler died in Athens in 1871, in his eighty-fifth year. Mrs. Mary Long was the eldest in a family of six children; was born in Athens, September 25, 1811, and died in Troy, March 16, 1890; she was a member of the Presbyterian Church, Troy. To Mr. And Mrs. Long were born seven children, three of whom are living, as follows: Martha J., Frederick A. and Fannie E.F. Miss Martha J. Long removed from Troy to Athens in the fall of 1868, and is engaged in farming, gardening and horticultural work. Her extensive and elegant greenhouses are situated in the outskirts of the borough of Athens.
MARTIN J. LONG, of Stevens & Long, wholesale and retail grocers, Towanda, was born in Burlington, this county, August 9, 1833, and is a son of John F. and Hannah L. (Merrick) Long. His paternal grandfather was James Long, a native of New England, and a pioneer of Burlington township, where he cleared and improved a farm; he also kept a hotel, and resided in that township until his death; his children were John F. and Nancy (Mrs. Isaac Cash). John F. succeeded to the hotel business of his father and also carried on a farm, became a prominent and representative citizen, and served two terms as associate judge with Hon. David Wilmot; his children were five in number, as follows: Philander, Martin J., Mason, Celia and Albert. Martin J. Long, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Burlington, received an academical education, and began life as a teacher in the common schools. In 1853 he came to Towanda, where he was clerk in a general store two years. In 1856 he embarked in the general merchandise business at Burlington with his father and brother, Philander, under the firm name of J.F. Long & Sons, which partnership existed up to 1866; from 1866 to 1870 it was known as Long Brothers. In
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 977
1867 Mr. Long located in Towanda, and engaged in the grocery business with George L. Keeler under the firm name of Long & Keeler. In 1869 Mr. Keeler sold his interest to George Stevens, since which time the firm has been Stevens & Long. Mr. Long is married and has two daughters. He is a member of the Universalist Church, has been school director of Towanda for twelve years, and is a Republican.
FRANK LOOMIS, editor and proprietor of the Troy Register, was born in Troy township, this county, May 5, 1856, and is the eldest child and only son of Ed. E. and Louisa Loomis. The other children are Mrs. Jennie Fanning, wife of A. C. Fanning, Esq., and Miss Edith. His father was for many years a leading merchant of West Burlington and Troy, and is a descendant of one of the early settler of Troy township, and his grandfather, Ely Loomis, originally came here from Connecticut. His mother, who died in 1876, was a daughter of Ira P. Ballard, also one of the early settlers of Troy township. Frank’s boyhood was spent in West Burlington, where he attended the district school, and assisted his father about the store, during vacations. After the family removed to Troy, he attended the graded school several terms, and afterward went into his father’s dry-goods store as salesman. After serving several years as salesman, he was for about two years in partnership with E. S. Bailey and A. C. Fanning, in the dry-goods trade. In 1880, having a great liking for the printing business, he set up a job printing office, and in 1881 established the Troy Register, a weekly local paper, which was well received by the people, and proved a success from the start. The paper was first printed on an old Washington hand-press, in a small room, but larger quarters and better facilities were soon needed. New machinery and material have been added at various times, as the business grew, until January, 1891, when still more room was needed, and the fine large brick double store of the Enterprise Manufacturing company was purchased, and the office moved into the same. The building is located on the corner of Canton and Railroad streets, and, with the excellent machinery and printing material, makes one of the finest country offices in the State. In 1878 Mr. Loomis married Miss Marie, daughter of Rev. Wm. W. Andrews, of Waverly, N.Y., and they have two sons, Edward and Ralph.
HON. MILTON O. LOOMIS, farmer, P.O. East Troy, was born in Troy township, this county, January 28, 1843, a son of Ezra and Harriet (Pratt) Loomis. His paternal grandfather, formerly of Connecticut, settled in what is now Troy township about 1803, locating on the farm now owned by his heirs and J. R. Vannoy, and cleared and improved the property, consisting of 175 acres, and resided there until his death in 1847. His wife was Mary Goddard, by whom he had nine children; Marilla (Mrs. P. C. Williams), Alvin, Eley, Orrin, Lucy (Mrs. George Fritcher), Harriet (Mrs. Gough), Caroline (Mrs. Leonard Upham), Ezra and Luther. His maternal grandparents were Asa and Celia (Leonard) Pratt, formerly of Massachusetts and pioneers of Canton township, this county; his grandmother, Celia (Leonard) Pratt, was a daughter of Tilley Leonard, a pioneer of Burlington township. Ezra Loomis was born in Troy township, has always followed farming as an occupation, and occupies a part of the old homestead, settled
NOAH LOOMIS, farmer, of Granville township, P.O. Windfall, was born in Granville, this county, May 9, 1836, and is a son of John and Adeline (Haxton) Loomis. His paternal grandfather, Augustus Loomis, was a pioneer of Canton township, while his father, John, was a native of Geneva county, N. Y., and an early settler of Granville township, this county, and cleared and improved the farm now owned by S. S. Packard, and died there in 1866. His children were Lydia (Mrs. Warren Bagley), Hannah (Mrs. Milo Webster), Seth, Noah, Sherman, John and Angeline (Mrs. Alpha Stone). Noah was reared in Granville, and cleared a part of the farm he now occupies, and made all the improvements in buildings. His wife was Margaret, daughter of Silas and Sally (Ayres) Packard, of Canton township, by whom he had three children: Maude (Mrs. D. H. Stone), Cora and Lylis K. Mr. Loomis enlisted in the Civil War, in Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers, September 16, 1864, and after nine months’ service was honorably discharged; he is a prominent farmer of Granville, and in politics is a Republican.
SETH LOOMIS, farmer, Franklin township, P.O. West Franklin, was born in Canton, September 26, 1833, and is a son of John and Adeline (Haxton) Loomis, the former of whom was born in Genesee Valley, N. Y., and the latter near Boston, Mass. John Loomis is the son of Augustus, a native of New York State, who came to this county about 1806, when his son was ten years old; he located in Canton on what is now called the "Sellard Place," owned by John Innes, and lived there until he died, in 1841. After his death his son removed to Granville, where, like his father, he followed farming; he resided in this township until his death, in 1866, dying in his sixty-fifth year. He had seven children - four sons and three daughters – all of whom grew to maturity, and five of whom are now living. The subject of these lines is the second in the family, and always lived and worked on the farm; he was reared and educated at Granville, where
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 979
He first began his farm life. He married, at Granville, in 1859, Miss Ann, daughter of Biglow and Martha Fenton, natives of Vermont, and there have been born to them seven children, viz.: Henry, married to Miss Mamie Flemming; Martha, married to Mr. Dwight Vroman; Rose, married to Chenie Preston; Marion H.; John; Adeline and Eva May, all of whom are living. Mr. Loomis removed from Granville to LeRoy, and from LeRoy to Franklin, where he has lived the last four years. In 1862 he entered the army, in Company M, Seventh P. V. C., for the term of three years, and was discharged on account of disabilities, and now draws a pension; he is a member of a G. A. R. Post.
FRED LOWE, of Seward & Co., Sayre, is a native of Onondaga county, N. Y., and was born, March 16, 1853. His parents are John and Sarah (Hamilton) Lowe, the former a native of England, and the latter of New York State. His father is a miller and resides in Madison county, N.Y. His great-grandfathers, Hamilton and Henry, were soldiers in the Revolutionary War. Fred Lowe, who is the fourth in a family of nine children, received a good common-school education, learned the machinist’s trade, and worked at the carpenter’s trade in his native county, where he remained until 1875, when he came to Sayre, and engaged in the planing-mill business, which he has followed since. He was married in Canastota, N.Y., in 1875, to Miss Lizzie, daughter of Cornelius and Ellen Doyle, natives of Canada, where she was born in 1858; she died in 1881, his second wife being Selia, daughter of Daniel and Mary (Taylor) Bump, natives of Pennsylvania. She is the fourth in a family of nine children, and was born December 30, 1859, and has one daughter, Bertha. Mrs. Lowe is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Lowe is a member of the F. & A. M., Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70; also belong to the Iron Hall, and is a Republican.
WILLIAM T. LOYD, farmer, LeRoy township, P. O. West LeRoy, was born in Wayne county, Pa., February 19, 1835, a son of Anthony and Catherine (Howey) Loyd, natives of Wayne county. Our subject came to this county with his aunt, Mrs. Jane (Howey) Quick, when three years old, making his home with her. He was educated in Wilmot, Bradford county, and is a self-made man, having struggled with and conquered adversity in early life. He engaged in rafting on the Susquehanna river, but followed farming to some extent. On December 29, 1858, he married Arloa, daughter of Samuel and Christiana Dimock, at Towanda. Her father, a carpenter, has lived in this county since 1808, and is now eighty-four years of age, and resides with his daughter. To Mr. and Mrs. Loyd were born two sons: Samuel D., born February 9, 1860, and W. N., born April 10, 1868. Mr. Loyd is a prosperous farmer, owning a tract of eighty-six acres, most of which is under cultivation. He is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the Patriotic Sons of America; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
G. M. LULL, passenger conductor, Lehigh Valley Railroad, Sayre, is a native of Hartland, Windsor Co., Vt., and was born February 2,
1841, the fifth in the family of seven children of Austin and Mary Ann (Kelly) Lull, natives of Vermont: The father, who was a hotel and livery stable keeper, died in Tunkhannock in 1882, in his seventy-sixth year; the mother died in 1878 in her seventy-first year. The family removed to Tunkhannock in May, 1851, where our subject received his education in the city schools. He enlisted March 8, 1862, in Company B, Fifty-second P. V. I., and some of the many engagements he participated in were the battles of Seven Pines (Fair Oaks), White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, and siege of Charleston, his regiment being the first troops to land in Charleston after the evacuation. He was mustered out at Beaufort, S. C., March 29, 1865, returned home, and attended Lowell’s Commercial College at Binghamton, N.Y., about one year. Thence he went to Tunkhannock, and engaged in the hotel business two years; from there he moved to Cape May with his brother-in-law Geo. J. Bolton, who had charge of the "Columbia House," and was there two seasons. Returning home he clerked in a hotel two years, and then went to Pittston, and was proprietor of a restaurant over a year. In 1873 he began work on the L. V. R. R. as brakeman, and was promoted to conductor on second-class trains in 1875, and continued as such until 1883, when he was promoted to passenger conductor, which position he has held since. Mr. Lull was married in Tunkhannock, in 1861, to Miss Julia A., daughter of William and Parmelia (Mackey) Bolton. Mr. Bolton was editor and proprietor of the first paper published in Tunkhannock, Wyoming Co., Pa. Mrs. Lull is the fifth in a family of seven children. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Lull were born six children, as follows: Ada B., George M., Jr., George E., Maud, May and M. Howard. Mrs. Lull is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Lull is a member of the F. & A. M., Temple Lodge, No. 248, Tunkhannock; of the Order of Railway Conductors, Waverly, and B.P.O.E., No. 109, of Wilkes-Barre. He is a Democrat in politics.
GEORGE LUNN, farmer, Windham township, P.O. Windham, is a native of that township, born March 4, 1836, a son of Jesse and Almira (Darling) Lunn, natives of Massachusetts, originally of English extraction, and of the agricultural class, who came to Bradford county, locating in Windham township, where they spent the remainder of their days, the mother dying in 1872, the father surviving until 1880; they had a family of seven children, of whom George is the third. He grew to manhood on his father’s farm, where there was an abundance of toil, and but few opportunities for education. He has successfully won his way in life, and resides on his farm of four acres, all of which is highly cultivated and well improved. In 1864 he enlisted in the Union army in the Fiftieth Engineers, Company E, and with his command went at once to the front, and was busy building bridges for the Army of the Potomac. The severe exposure brought on sickness and permanent ill health, and he is now the recipient of a pension. He served until the end of the war, and with the great army of civilian soldiers returned to his farm and its labors. Mr. Lunn was married, in Windham, to Emily A. Forrest, daughter of Daniel and Achsah (Ames) Forrest, of Massachusetts, and of this marriage there
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 981
Are two children: Arthur J. and Frank J., both farmers. Mr. Lunn is a member of the G. A. R., Hurst Post, No. 86, and in politics is a Republican. The members of this family are highly respected by all.
HIRAM D. LUTHER, farmer, P.O. Luther’s Mills, was born May 19, 1849, on the farm where he now resides in Burlington township, and is a son of Myron and Phebe E. (Rundell) Luther, natives of Burlington, this county, born of old New England stock, of German origin. The father, who was a farmer and lumberman, was a son of the original settler of Burlington township, Enoch Luther, who was one of the pioneers of Burlington township, and after whom the village of Luther’s Mills took its name; he was a miller and one of the builders of the original mills at this place, having had charge of them many years; was a soldier of the Revolution, and died at the age of sixty-three years. Myron Luther reared a family of three children, was a man of influence, and died at the age of sixty-two years. Our subject‘s mother’s family were among the pioneer settlers of the township: her grandfather Rundell was a pioneer Methodist preacher, and experienced the privations of a circuit rider of early days of Methodism. Hiram D. Luther was married in October, 1872, to Belle J. Crawford, of Sheshequin, this county, born August 4, 1854, a daughter of John L. and Maria (McNickel) Crawford, the former of New England origin, and the latter a native of Scotland. Mr. and Mrs. Luther have had six children, as follows: Fred L., Helen M., Martin D., George E., Bessie B. and Laura P. He is the owner of a farm of seventy acres where he resides, and one of sixty-seven acres in Luther’s Mills. He is one of the most successful growers of tobacco in the vicinity, his land being especially adapted to its growth; he is one of the substantial and enterprising men of the community; is a Republican and has held several offices of public trust.
ROSWELL LUTHER, retired, Towanda, was born in Burlington, this county, December 12, 1820, and is a son of Enoch and Polly (Bennett) Luther. The paternal grandfather, Elisha Luther, was a native of Massachusetts, and settled in Canton township (now Alba), this county, about 1793, where he purchased nearly four hundred acres of land, built a log house and made a clearing; in 1812 he removed to Dayton, Ohio, and later to St. Joseph county, Ind., where he resided until his death. The maternal grandfather, Amos Bennett, came with his father, Amos, Sr., to Wyalusing, in 1783; in 1790 he removed to what is now North Towanda township, where he cleared a farm, on which he resided until his death in 1839; his wife was Amy Wilcox, by whom he had six sons and two daughters. Enoch Luther, father of Roswell Luther, was a native of Gorham, Vt., and came to Bradford county with his parents, and removed with them to Dayton, Ohio, where he enlisted in the War of 1812. About 1816 he returned to Bradford county, and cleared a farm in Burlington township, on which he resided until his death. His children were Roswell, Enos B., David S., Myron, Hiram, Laura (Mrs. Elijah Granger), Amanda (Mrs. Benjamin M. Clark), Elliott, Samantha (Mrs. Erastus L. Price), Mary (Mrs. David Strope), Ransom W., Angeline (Mrs. Stephen M. Clark), Adelaide (Mrs. L. F. Langford) and Burton K. Roswell Luther, who is
HUGH M. LYNCH, dentist, Wyalusing, was born in Germantown, April 29, 1840, a son of Robert and Mary (Tillman) Lynch, both of whom have been dead many years. The father, who was a gardener, had the following children: James, a lumber dealer in Philadelphia; William, a drover in Delaware county; George, a lumber merchant in Clinton county; Margaret, a dressmaker in Norristown; Hugh M.; Sophia, married to Mr. Rosenberger, whom she survives; Rebecca, with her sisters Sophia and Margaret, conducting a dressmaking establishment at Norristown; Robert, a lumber merchant in Clinton county. Hugh M. Lynch received his English education in the public schools of Philadelphia, and in 1861 began the study of dentistry which he pursued until November 9, 1862, when he enlisted in Company C, Fifty-first P. V. I., of the Ninth Army Corps, serving faithfully through many long campaigns, and was present at Appomattox. He received two gunshot-wounds at the battle of Weldon Railroad, one through the left foot, which sent him to the hospital for about four months; after his recovery he rejoined his regiment and served until August 27, 1865, when he was mustered out. After studying his profession a short time, he began the practice of the same at Phillipsburg, N. J., and Phoenixville, Pa., until 1882, when he there entered the Pennsylvania College of Dentistry, and was graduated March 2, 1883. He resumed his practice at Phoenixville, remaining there until 1888, when he removed to Philadelphia, and remained until April 15, 1890, when he came to Wyalusing, where he has built up a paying practice. The Doctor was married, January 24, 1872, to Lucretia Ramsay, daughter of Samuel Ramsay, of Chester county, Pa., by whom he has five children: Mary E., Ida I., Della C., Robert L., and H. Blair. He is a member of Josiah White Post, No. 15, G. A. R., of Phoenixville, and also a member of the F. & A. M. Phoenixville, and has taken degree of K. T.; he is a member of the Lutheran Church and is a Republican. Dr. Lynch is a successful dentist, and has an office fully equipped for any kind of work.
JERRY J. LYNCH, teacher, Rome, was born in Standing Stone township, this county, March 15, 1868, and is a son of John and Catherine (O’Connor) Lynch, natives of County Clare, Ireland. His paternal grandparents were Martin and Bridget (Hourigan) Lynch, and his great-grandparents were Patrick and Mary (Hough) Lynch; his maternal grandparents were Jeremiah and Bridget (McNertiny) O’Connor, and his great-grandparents were Philip and Hanorah (Collins) O’Connor. His grandfather, Jerry O’Connor, died in Cen-
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY 983
Tralia, Pa., at the age of one hundred and three years. His father was a shoemaker by trade, but abandoned that calling, and set out to make his fortune in the New World, in 1860; he settled on a farm in Standing Stone, where he remained twelve years, and then purchased a large farm in Rome township, which he changed from a dense forest to a state of cultivation, and lived upon it until his death, which occurred May 8, 1881, at the age of sixty-nine years; Mrs. Lynch is still living on the old homestead, with her son, Michael. There were six Lynch brothers and one sister who immigrated to Bradford county, viz.: Michael, Patrick, James, John, Thomas, Catherine (who married Andrew Brennan), and Martin. John’s family contained seven children, four of whom were born in Ireland, viz.: Mary (deceased wife of John C. Cuffney, of Athens; she left one child, William, born April 6, 1883), Michael, Martin, Bridget (deceased), Bridget E., John J. and Jeremiah J. The last-named gentleman spent his boyhood on he farm and attended school at the Rome Springs school-house. At thirteen he was left an orphan, with no means of supporting and educating himself, not even a robust physical constitution. In 1882 he secured a place in the family of A. J. Whitney, working for his board, and attending school at the Rome graded school, and next year he was in the family of A. W. Woodburn. At fifteen he was a granted a certificate to teach, and next year began teaching; he taught in all six terms, the last as principal of Rome graded school, 1890-91. In the spring of 1891 he engaged with S. B. Nelson & Co., of Chicago, in the historical business. By teaching, and various other occupations, he worked his way through the Latin Scientific Course at the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, and was graduated in 1889. His poor Irish parents had not the means of privileging their son an education, but they left him thoroughly imbued with the desire for education, and many noble Christian aspirations. Mr. lynch has surmounted every difficulty, and commands the respect and love of all who know him, and is one of the leaders in all educational matters in the county, having been chosen president of the Bradford County Teachers’ Association when but twenty years of age; in his religion he is a steadfast Catholic, and his political views are decidedly Democratic.
THOMAS P. LYNCH, proprietor of the "Cummiskey House," Towanda, was born April 14, 1860, a son of Martin and Mary (Doherty) Lynch, natives of Ireland. His father came to America in 1856, and worked on the canal, and later engaged in farming in Rome township; afterward in Standing Stone township, where he died, January 3, 1879. In his father’s family there were eight children: Bridget, married to Michael Scannell, employed by the Lehigh Valley Railroad at Towanda, and has five children; John, died at two years of age; Thomas P., the subject of this sketch; Martin E., fireman on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, at Sayre; James F., brakeman on the Union Pacific, at Sprague, Wash.; Michael J., employed by the Lehigh Valley Railroad, at Buffalo; Mary C. and Peter J., the two last mentioned living with their mother on the old homestead in Standing Stone township. Thomas P. began life for himself at fourteen, and worked for M. H. Laning on a farm, where he remained five years,
GEORGE F. LYON, furniture manufacturer, Athens, is a native of Athens, this county, and was born May 1, 1854, a son of Frederick R. and Nancy (White) Lyon, the former a native of Connecticut, and the latter of Liberty, N. Y. The father, who was a furniture dealer and undertaker, was born February 26, 1884; his widow survives. George F. Lyon, who is the eldest in a family of four children, served an apprenticeship at the cabinet-making trade, from the time he was sixteen until he was twenty-one years of age, and remained with his father until 1876, when they began the manufacture of furniture, under the firm name of F. R. Lyon, Son & Co. On June 17, 1885, the factory burned, and they moved to Waverly, N. Y., where the factory has been since located. In 1883 the firm name was changed to Hall & Lyon. They make fine and medium grade chamber suits, and employ about 100 men.
OLIVER D. LYON, cabinet-maker, Towanda, was born in Lawrenceville, Tioga Co., Pa., December 1, 1835, a son of Frederick R. and Mary H. (Rood) Lyon, and comes of Pilgrim stock. He was reared in Chemung county, N. Y., and Bradford county, Pa., and has resided in the latter county since 1846. His father, who was a native of Connecticut, and a cabinet-maker by trade, died in Athens, this county, in 1885; his children who grew to maturity were nine in number, as follows: Oliver D., Elizabeth (Mrs. George Morgan), Susan (Mrs. Leon Hoyt), Clara (Mrs. Hemingway), Edward, George, Charles, Frank and John. Of these Oliver D. received a high-school education at Syracuse, N.Y., also at Athens, Pa., and learned the cabinet-makers’ trade with his father at Athens. He worked as apprentice and journeyman eleven years prior to the war, and April 22, 1861, enlisted in Company F, Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves (Thirty-fifth Regiment in the line), and by reason of re-enlistment was honorably discharged at Bristol Station, Va., February 11, 1864; on February 12, same year, he re-enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Ninety-first, P. V. V. I., and was honorably discharged, June 28, 1865, the war having closed. He participated in all of the principal battles of the Army of the Potomac (not including Chancellorsville), except while he was a prisoner of war, and was on the skirmish line at Lee’s surrender; he was captured on the skirmish line, at North Anna River, May 24, 1864, and