History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
J. V. HUFF, farmer and stock-grower, Milan, born in Sussex county, N. J., August 14, 1819, is the son of John and Anna (Vought) Huff, and has but slight recollection of his grandparents, but remembers that his grandfather, Vought, died in Sussex county, N. J., at the extreme old age of ninety-four. His parents were farmers, and natives of New Jersey, the father of English, and the mother of Dutch descent; they died in New Jersey, the mother when forty-nine, and the father at the age of seventy-seven. J. V. received his education in the common schools; he came to this county in the spring of 1843, landing at Standing Stone; from there went to Towanda, and remained four months; then to Milan, and purchased the farm he now owns, which consists of upward of 110 acres; it was heavily wooded, but he cleared away a spot to build a house, and erected a small frame dwelling. He is now one of the most prosperous farmers in the township, and is surrounded by the comforts of life. He paid the entire purchase price of the farm with the lumber taken from the woods with which it was covered. He married Roxanna, daughter of John and Betsie (Greene) Watkins, of Athens township, March 26, 1846; their children are: John W., married to Emma Hannah; Edward, married to Nora McKinney; Henrietta, wife of Stephen VanBuren, of Ulster township; Martha D., wife of John Kays, of Ssussex county, N. J.; Frances A., and Mary A., wife of Perry Elsbree, of Smithfield township. Mr. Huff is a member of the National Grange, in which he was for years a prominent member; the family are members of the Baptist Church. In political views he is Democratic. Nearly the entire township was in the wilderness at the time he came, and the forests were full of deer and bears. The banks of Big Buck creek were lined with sawmills, and the lumber business was the only pursuit followed to any extent.
SAVILL S. HUGGINS, farmer, Springfield township, P. O. Big Pond, was born October 2, 1836, at Nunda, Livingston Co., N. Y., a son of Ira S. and Valeria M. (Pitts) Huggins. His father was a native of Auerlius, Cayuga county, N. Y.; and was a farmer and carpenter; removed to this township in the spring of 1855, and settled on the farm where the subject of this sketch now resides; he died at the age of
eight-four years, August, 1885. His mother was born in Queensbury, N. Y., and moved to this town in 1805, at the age of two months; was cradled in a sap trough and schooled on Grover Hill, and her father, Luke Pitts, was one of the first settlers in Springfield; he built the first grist mill in the town, on the creek by Dr. Cory’s house; this family traced their ancestry back to Sir William Pitt; the mother
died March, 1883, at the age of seventy-nine years. Mr. Huggins, the fourth in a family of eight children, was reared on the farm, and has continued that occupation, and now is the owner of a well-improved farm of eighty-four acres, the principal business being dairying and stock-raising. He owned and operated a sawmill many years, and was largely in the lumbering business; he is a member of the Freemasons, I. O. O. F., and the Patrons of Husbandry; is also one of the directors of the Grange Mutual Fire Insurance Company, whose office is at Troy. He was married, March 31, 1862, to Mary H., daughter of Isaac F. and Lucinda (Williams) Bullock; she was born October 3, 1841, and is the only sister of William A. and C. E. Bullock. To Mr. and Mrs. Huggins have been born two children, as follows: Minnie E., born March 2, 1863, wife of Charles B. Grace, died February 17, 1890, and Eva M., born January 2, 1865, wife of Frank Voorhis. Mr. Huggins is a Republican is politics, has held several offices of public trust, and is a man respected by a large circle of friends.
HON. CHARLES T. HULL, county treasurer, Athens, is a native of Coventry, Chenango Co., N. Y., a son of Josiah and Mercy (Jones) Hull, the former a native of Sharon, Conn., and the latter of Lisle, Broome county, N. Y. Josiah Hull, who was a blacksmith by trade, removed to Athens in 1847, and died in 1881, in his seventy-fourth year; his widow died in 1883, in her seventy-ninth year. Commodore Isaac Hull, the great-grandfather of Charles T. Hull, was an eminent officer in the Revolutionary War. The subject of this sketch is the third in a family of eight children, of which six are living. He received a common-school education, and worked about five years at the steel engraving business in Athens. Responding to the call for troops, he enlisted August 16, 1862, in Company E, One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I., and served till July 17, 1865, the close of the war. After being in the service some time he contracted typhoid fever, soon after the battled of Chancellorsville, but remained at the front until he recovered. Returning home, he soon thereafter accepted a position as clerk in the First National Bank, Athens, and in 1871 he was promoted to cashier, a position he held until January 1, 1891. A the November election, 1890, Mr. Hull was elected county treasurer of Bradford county, and entered upon the duties of his office January 1, 1891. He is a charter member of the G. A. R., Perkins Post, No. 202. In 1878 he was elected State commander of the G. A. R., and during that year he organized the Gettysburg encampment, and had organized about twenty-five Posts in the State. He is also a member of the Union Veterans Legion No. 28, and has held the office of aid commander-in-chief of that organization; he is a member of the Royal Aarcanum, and in politics he is a Republican. Mr. Hull is one of the most substantial citizens of Athens, noted for his integrity of friendship, and his unaffected retiring disposition has drawn toward him the fullest confidence and warmest friendship of perhaps as many of the people as any man in the county ever did. Among the old veterans of the Civil War, and the sons of the soldiers, he is esteemed the highest, and is consulted and relied upon in all their important affairs.
JOHN F. HUNT, farmer, P. O. Troy, was born on the farm where he now resides, December 5, 1840, and is a son of Joseph P. and Elizabeth (Dobbins) Hunt. His father, who was a native of New Jersey, a son of John Hunt, settled in Troy township, in 1825, and on the farm now owned by John F. Hunt, in 1831, which he partially cleared and improved, and which he purchased of the Mormons, who removed from there to Nauvoo, Ill. His wife was a daughter of John and Rebecca (McKean) Dobbins, and granddaughter of William and Mary A. (McKean) Dobbins, who settled in Burlington township, this county, in 1791. He was the father of three children: Elizabeth (Mrs. Miles Kennedy), John F., and Mary A. (Mrs. Horton Ferguson). The subject of this sketch was reared on the old homestead, where he has always resided; he was in the Civil War, enlisting September 5, 1864, in Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers, and was honorably discharged at the close of the war. He married, December 31, 1867, Augusta, daughter of Charles and Julia (Ferguson) Colony, of Columbia township, and has one daughter, Grace (Mrs. Ernest Teeter). Mr. Hunt is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the I. O. O. F., G. A. R. and Patrons of Husbandry, and is a Republican in politics.
MRS. WEALTHY HUNT, P. O. West Warren, is a daughter of William F. and Nancy M. (Eastabrooks) Corbin. Mr. Corbin was born in Nichols, N. Y., January 17, 1813, and made his home nearly all his life in Warren township, this county. He was a son of Oliver Corbin (a native of Connecticut, of English stock), a son of Clement Corbin who reared a family of twenty-two children, and it is supposed that Clement died in this county; his son Oliver came here in 1800 and was among the very first settlers in this part of the county. A true pioneer who braved successfully every danger and all hardships of a wild frontier life, he survived to a great age, and died in February, 1870. He had nine children, of whom William was the third, who was reared on his father’s farm and become a yeoman and successful farmer, clearing his way to fortune in the dense woods that so deeply shaded all this country, when his eyes first looked upon it; at his death he was the owner of 120 acres of fine farm land, the deft work of his own strong and willing hands. He was married, March 8, 1838, to Nancy M.
Eastabrooks, daughter of William S. and Wealthy Shurtliff, the former of whom died in 1825, his widow surviving until 1855; they had children, of whom two died in infancy; those who grew to maturity were William W., married Julia A. Gorham, and had nine children; Judson, married to Eliza Robinson, and had five children; Nancy; Sylvanus, married to Lucy Newberry, and died in 1885; Charlotte (Mrs. Sweet Gardner), living in Scranton, and Jackson.
Francis J. and Wealthy Hunt, farmers, P. O. West Warren. Francis is a native of Tioga county, N. Y., born September 25, 1857, a son of Jesse and Abigail (Eaton) Hunt, of New York. The family came to this county in 1864, and located in Orwell township. They had three children: Francis J., Charles E. and Flora Belle (Mrs. Joseph Lawrence). Francis J. removed to Warren township in 1881, where he owns a small farm and cultivates his father-in-law’s farm or estate of 120 acres. He was married in Waverly to Wealthy Corbin, and they have one son, Guy Lafrance, born January 28, 1881. Mrs. Hunt was the widow of Scott Northrup, who was killed, in 1877, by a threshing machine near Wayland, Steuben Co., N. Y., where they then resided.
F. H. HUNTLEY, dealer in confectionery, Sayre, is a native of Monroeton, this county, and was born October 19, 1858, a son of D. E. and Elma (Alexander) Huntley, natives of this county. His father who was a carriage-maker, died, in September, 1884, in his fifty-third year; his widow is now a resident of Sayre. Mrs. Huntley’s great-grandfather, William Clarke, was a colonel in the Revoluntionary War, and was one of the first settlers in Ulster township; her grandfather Clarke was a soldier in the War of 1812. F. H. Huntley, who is the second in a family of five children, completed his education in Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Towanda, attending there two terms; then learned the carriage painter’s trade, which he followed until 1890; on September 1, of which year, he engaged in the confectionery trade, opposite the "Wilbur House," on Packer avenue, in Sayre, whither he had removed in 1880. He was married in Standing Stone, Septemer 17, 1885, to Miss Minnie, daughter of Peter and Sarah (Barnes) Keen, farmers, and natives of New Jersey, now residents of Sayre. Mrs. Huntley is the elder of two children, born in Standing Stone, November 24, 1856; she is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Huntley is a member of the Iron Hall and Royal Arcanum; also fo the Wilbur Hook and Ladder company, of which he was foreman two years; served five years in the Pennsylvania State Militia, the first two years under Col. Stead, and the remaining three years under Col. Reynolds; politically he is a Republican.
DANIEL HURLEY, farmer and stock-grower, P. O. Myersburg, was born in Standing Stone, this county, September 20, 1849, and is a son of John and Mary Hurley, who were born in County Cork, Ireland, and immigrated to this county about 1830, locating at Standing Stone, where they resided until death, the father dying in October, 1881 at the almost unprecedented age of one hundred and six years; they had a family of twelve children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Timothy, a farmer; Ellen, married to Sylvester Conklyn, a soldier in the Union Army, who deserted the army and went west; Patrick C
BURT HUTCHINS, passenger conductor, Lehigh Valley Railroad, Sayre, is a native of Junius, Seneca Co., N. Y., and was born July 8, 1844, a son of John and Harriet (Birdsey) Hutchins, the former a native of Newark county, N. Y., and the latter of Connecticut. The father, who was a farmer, and a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born August 29, 1839, and died, December 6, 1872; teh mother, who is in her seventy-third year, resides in Elmira. Burt Hutchins is the eldest child and has two sisters He finished his course in the Elmira Business College in August, 1862, and immediately enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Forty-first N. Y. V. I., from Elmira, N. Y., and he participated in a number of skirmishes; was sent to the DeCamp General Hospital, New York City, as clerk, where he remained until February 27, 1865, when he was mustered out. Returning to Elmira he clerked in a grocery store about six years, and then farmed four years, at the end of which time he was employed on the Lehigh Valley Railroad as freight brakeman; was promoted to freight conductor in 1875, and to passenger conductor in 1882, which position he has since held. He was married, January 3, 1866, to Miss Electa A., daughter of Henry and Mary (Pollard) Hallock, natives of Pennsylvania; the former of whom a miller and sawyer, by trade, died in 1881, in his sixtieth year; the latter died in 1883, in her fifty-ninth year; their family consisted of four girls and one boy, of whom Mrs. Hutchins is the fourth in order of birth. When six weeks old she was adopted by Noble and Electa A. (Dewitt) Weller, natives of Connecticut, who came to Chemung, N. Y., about the year 1840. Mrs. Hutchins was born in Che-
mung, N. Y., January 1, 1845. To this marriage were born two sons, viz.: Fred N., who graduated at the Buffalo College of Pharmacy in February, 1889, and is now an apothecary in the Buffalo State Hospital, and Frank J., a machinist. Mrs. Hutchins is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Hutchins is a member of the I. O. O. F., Menoka Lodge, No. 219; and of the Order of Railway Conductors, Division No. 10, Waverly, N. Y.
LEWIS HARLOW HUTCHINSON, farmer, Pike township, P. O. LeRaysville, was born February 10, 1852, on the farm now owned by James H. Smith, and is a son of David B. and Lydia (Ide) Hutchinson. He is a grandson of William S. Hutchinson (who moved to Pike township, November 5, 1819), and a great-grandson of Rev. Aaron H. Hutchinson, of Vermont; his maternal grandparents were Nathaniel and Mercy (Allen) Ide, and his great-grandfather was Nehemiah Ide a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Mr. Hutchinson spent his boyhood on the farm, attending the district school, and LeRaysville Academy. He began life for himself at the age of twenty, has been successively employed in farming, railroading, lumbering and mining, and is now engaged in farming and various other occupations, residing with his brother-in-law, James H. Smith. He was married, May 2, 1879, to Lydia Wesler, and they have one son, James Herbert. Mr. Hutchinson is a member of the I. O. O. F., No. 371, at Dallas, Pa., and in politics he is a Republican.
STEPEHN SEYMOUR HUTCHINSON, farmer, of Pike township, P. O. LeRaysville, was born in Pike township, this county, April 18, 1831, a son of William and Electa (Seymour) Hutchinson, natives of New England and of English origin. In their family there were eight children, of whom Stephen is the second. His grandfather, William S. Hutchinson, came from Vermont with five children in 1818, and took up a farm of eighty acres near LeRaysville, which was then a dense forest, and many interesting stories of the privation and dangers are told by William who is still living, at the age of eighty-seven years. Stephen S. was married, October 7, 1862, to Martha A., daughter of Samuel and Emma (Kidder) Stevens, of English origin, the former a native of Litchfield, Conn., the latter of Waterford, Vt., and they have two children: Belle E., born July 18, 1863, married to Llewellyn Davies, a student in Cornell University, and Daisy Pearl. Judge Luther Kidder, of Monroe, Pike and Wayne counties, was an uncle of Mrs. Hutchinson. The family are members of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Hutchinson stands high among the farmers of Bradford county who have made a success of tilling the soil. He is a Republican in politics.
ABRAHAM H. INGHAM, physician, Burlington, was born in New York City, November 10, 1831, a son of David and Hannah (Nutter) Ingham, natives of Huddersfield, England. David was a woolen-goods manufacturer; his parents removed to America when young married people, and he and a brother were some years in business at Monroeton, and afterward farmed in LeRoy, he spent the latter part of his life in Tioga county, and died at the age of ninety-one years. Abraham was the second in a family of seven children, and
GEORGE T. INGHAM, merchant, dealer in butter, eggs and produce, sugar run, is the only child of Joseph W. and Mary (Taylor) Ingham, natives of Pennsylvania, the former of whom was one of the early pioneers of Bradford county. Mr. Ingham was born in Wilmot township, this county, August 13, 1851, and was educated in the common schools, Wyalusing Academy and Susquehanna Collegiate Institute. He began life for himself at the age twenty-one, first at milling, and two years later opened a store at Sugar Run, where he is still engaged in general mercantile business; he also operates the grist-mill at Sugar Run, which does a thriving business. Mr. Ingham was married, May 27, 1875, to Augusta L., daughter of "Major" Terry, of Terrytown, and they have seven children, viz.: Charles U., born January 28, 1876; Ernest J., born April 12, 1878; Harry T., born August 29, 1881; Louisa M., born January 17, 1884; Mary, born September 26, 1886; James T., born December 21, 1889, and George B., born August 24, 1891. Mr. Ingham is a member of the I. O. O. F., Clauson Lodge, at Sugar Run; is a ruling elder in the Presbyterian Church, is a Republican in politics, and is at present postmaster at Sugar Run.
MRS. SOLOME B. (RICHISON) INMAN, P. O. Gillett, widow of the late Benjamin Inman, was born in Cherry Valley, N. Y., September 20, 1813, a daughter of Luther and Rebecca (Bell) Richison. The Richison and Inman families removed to this county about the same time, in 1831, and located in Ridgebury, and Solome was then seventeen years of age. Mr. Richison’s family consisted of nine children, of whom Mrs. Inman is the fourth; she and a younger brother are all who are living of the nine, and she is now in her seventy-eighth year. They began housekeeping in a log house, sixteen feet square, with hemlock boards and basswood bark ceiling; here they lived twenty-one years as pioneers in the wilderness, enduring the hardships of all early settlers; then built a frame house, in which they lived fifteen years, when this was burnt, they then built the house the family now occupy. Mrs. Inman reared a family of nine children - six
sons and three daughters - eight of whom grew to maturity, and five of these are now living; four of the sons served their country in the Civil War, and one, John, lost his life in Andersonville prison. Mr. Inman lived to be seventy-three years of age, and died in 1883; his son Edward works the farm; they are general farmers, raising stock, wool, grain, and pay especial attention to dairying. Edward married Clara, daughter of Hiram and Elizabeth Joiner, and to them were born four children; he has been honored with the offices of assessor and town treasurer.
THE ADAM INNES FAMILY, Granville Centre, is one of the most important in southwest Bradford county. Adam Innes, the original Scotchman of this American race, was born in Musselburgh, Scotland, April 10, 1820, and died in Granville Centre, this county, March 10, 1886, aged sixty-five years and eleven months. He was the only son and child who grew to maturity in the family of Robert and Marian Kirkwood Innes. In the old country his parents were of the middle class, and he had only limited educational advantages. In his youth he was apprenticed to the tanner’s trade, and his principal and important lessons in young life were industry, thoroughness and a rigid economy, and in these lay the foundation of his successes and fortune. He completed his apprenticeship, a thorough and master workman, and for some time worked in the tannery in Linlithgow, Scotland, at which place he was married, October 4, 1844, to Helen McNeil, a native of that place, born April 17, 1821, a daughter of Daniel and Mary (Duncan) McNeil, of the counties of Edinburg and Linlithgow, respectively, who had eight children - five daughters and three sons - of whom Helen was the second in order of birth. Four years after marriage they emigrated from their native land, coming direct to America to make their future permanent home, stopping first in Norwich, New London Co., Conn., where he worked a short time at his trade, and then removed to Ulster county, N. Y., where he was in the employ of one, Abram Schultz, at whose death he secured an interest with the heirs in the tannery. In time Mr. Innes was operating the two tanneries by contract, and thus continued until 1865, when he removed to Granville Centre, and purchased the old Martin tannery. By this time his reputation for his products was widely extended. When he took hold of this establishment it was a very small affair, but he increased its capacity from 7,000 sides per year to 28,000, and yet the demand for his goods outran the supply. In 1870 he built the "Caledonia Tannery" at Grover, Canton township, with a capacity of 32,000 sides annually, and placed his son, Daniel, in charge. In 1880 he established the "Wallace Tannery," at Roaring Branch, with a capacity of 40,000 sides annually, under his son, John A. Adam Innes was also for some time associated with Brainard Bowen, of Troy, in the tannery there. In February, 1881, he helped to establish the First National Bank of Canton, and was elected its president; was re-elected three times, but in January, 1885, on account of his health, he declined further service in that capacity. He was one of the promoters, and vice-president, of the Keystone Land and Cattle Company, owning a ranch and a large tract of land in Dakota. In February, 1884, he became a member of
This is a mere skeleton outline of the vast business career of Adam Innes. His force of character, his clear, strong judgment, his never-questioned integrity, his broad and generous equity, justice and helpful charity were known, but slightly compared to their reality, by those who even knew him best. Exemplary in private life, and most worthy in his social mingling with the world, his strong Scotch blood was at its very best among his closest intimates, and under his family roof-tree. "A man among Men" - rearing a model family, purifying the social atmosphere in which he moved, and devoting his great life to the development of his adopted country, State and neighborhood. A producer where he found barrenness and want; developing that higher and better civilization that makes this earth wholesome, and the human heart vocal with joys. No urgency from his many friends could ever induce him to stand for political office; his impulses were were in a different and, it is not too much to say, a higher plane of existence. His whole nature was retiring, modest and self-abnegating in the extreme. He was a member of the Congregational church, but his religion went out to his fellow-man and knew no sectarianism. He was buried under the auspices of the F. & A. M. Lodge of Troy, and about his fresh-opened tomb the whole community stood as deep and sincere mourners, and no man has ever been laid away that has been more grievously missed. His rare life was not a fitful fever nor a fretful dream, but a sublime reality, tinged with the golden aureole, and he sleeps well.
Mrs. Adam Innes spent her early life in her native Scotland home, and learned at the paternal knee those noble lessons of life that made her in time "a blessed mother in Israel." Her faithful and eminent husband’s proudest boast to his most intimate circle of friends, when old age was coming on, was that he owed far more of his success to her than to any one, or all else; that in every important transaction, after their marriage, he consulted her, not only as an equal, but as his superior, and her approval was of supreme and last importance. She was of the most rugged Scotch blood - patient, brave, womanly and yet of strong judgment and remarkable executive ability. In their home was mother , the highest that can be said of mortal; in social and friendship’s wide domain she stood a constant and joyous benediction, generous, Christain, kind, tender and loving in all her impulses; first her husband, then her children, then all mankind. She was one year younger than her husband, survived him nearly two years, dying February 23, 1888, and then was laid at rest by his side - in life united, in death not separated - and they sleep sweetly in Granville Cemetery. Though painfully afflicted during the last nine years of her life with a rheumatic affection, her patient fortitude and Christian gentleness never deserted her; serene in the memory of her late departed companion, happy and content in the presence of her loving children. She awaited the end as the beautiful child nestles in its mother’s bosom, and closes its eyes in a sweet and dreamless sleep. Their children were five sons and three daughters: Robert, of Bodines; Daniel, and Mary C., Mrs. James
H. Eastgate, of Grover; Olivia, Mrs. Charles G. Sayles, of Granville Centre; John A., Colin A., and Helen J. Innes of Canton, and Judson K., of Granville Centre.
DANIEL INNES, president, First National Bank, Canton, was born in Linlithgow, Scotland, February 28, 1848, the second in the family of eight children born to Adam and Helen (McNeil) Innes, also natives of Scotland. When he was ten weeks old his parents removed to this country, and he was reared principally in Ulster county, N. Y., receiving his education in the public and high schools. He learned the tanner’s trade with his father, and in the fall of 1870 was placed in charge of the Caledonia Tannery, which he still retains. He was married at Granville, this county, in 1872 to Miss Pamelia A., daughter of John and Polly (Miles) Vroman, of Canton, natives of this county and Mehoopany, Wyoming Co., Pa., respectively. Mrs. Innes, who is the second in a family of four living children, and was born in Burlington township, this county, April 4, 1849. To Mr. and Mrs. Innes were born four children, viz.: Charles Arthur, Floyd Adam, Edna Ann and Edward Richardson. Our subject has been president of the First National Bank of Canton since the spring of 1885; is one of the trustees of the hospital at Blossburg; is a stockholder in the Keystone Land and Cattle Company, of South Dakota; also a stockholder in the State Bank, of Lisbon, Dak.; is interested in the firm of Schultz, Innes & Co., of New York. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity; Canton Lodge, No. 415; Troy Chapter, No. 261; Canton Commandery, No. 64; is also a member of the Lodge of Perfection, of Towanda and politically he is a Republican.
JOHN A. INNES, tanner, Canton, is a native of Ulster county, N. Y., born July 20, 1855, a son of Adam and Helen (McNeil) Innes, a sketch of whom precedes this. He is the fifth in order of birth in a family of eight children, and was reared in Ulster county, N. Y., until ten years of age, when they came with the family to Granville Centre. He received a public school education, and learned the tanning trade with his father, with whom he remained until February, 1883, when he and three of his brothers bought their father’s tanneries at Granville Centre, Grover and Roaring Branch, the firm name being A. Innes sons. Their product is union crop sole leather. Mr. Innes is a member of the firm of Schultz, Innes & Co., hide and leather merchants, of New York, and they have also a branch house in Boston. He is also connected with the Keystone Cattle Company, whose ranch is in South Dakota. They have 14,000 acres of hemlock timber, required for the bark; a farm near Canton, containing 200 acres; fine-bred trotting horses, cattle, etc. Mr. Innes was married in Troy, September 19, 1878, to Jennie E. Williams, born in Troy township, this county , January 15, 1853, second in the family of four children of Samuel and Eliza (Clifton) Williams. To them were born six children as follows: Edith M., Paul E. (deceased), Ralph (deceased), John A., Daniel T., and Gertrude P. Mr. Innes is a director of the First National Bank of Canton, is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Canton Lodge, No. 415, Troy Chapter, No. 261, and Canton Commandery, No. 64; and was eminent commander of the latter in 1888. Politically he is a Republican.