History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
BURCHILL BROTHERS, Arthur H., and Abraham B. and William, manufacturers and dealers in marble and granite monuments and all kinds of cemetery work, Towanda, are natives of Chemung county, N.Y. and sons of Richard and Catherine (Driscoll) Burchill, natives of County Cork, Ireland, who came to America in 1854, and settled in Chemung county, N. Y., where their father engaged in business as a contractor, in which he continued until his death. The subjects of this sketch were reared in Chemung county, N. Y.; each served three years’ apprenticeship at the marble-cutter’s trade, the second elder in Elmira, N. Y., and the youngest in Towanda. They established themselves in business in Towanda in May, 1878, where by careful attention to business they have built up a successful trade. Arthur H. was born in 1854, and was married January 27, 1880, to Margaret L., daughter of John L. and Mary (O’Connor) Murphy, of Susquehanna county, Pa. Abraham B. was born in 1856, and was married November 23, 1881, to Annie, daughter of Peter and Katherine (Waters) McDonald, of Sullivan county, Pa., and has five children, viz.; Katherine, Ellen, Annie, John and Mary. The junior member of the firm, William, was born in 1857, and married May 26, 1890, to Mary, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Ronan) Kendrick, of Towanda township. All the members of the firm are members of the Catholic Church, and in politics are Independent.
ISAAC BURK, engineer, and postmaster at Sayre, is a native of Easton, Pa., born April 9, 1844, a son of Jacob and Sarah (Moser) Burk, the former a native of New Jersey and the latter of Pennsylvania. The father, who was a butcher, died near Trenton, in 1850; the mother now resides in South Easton. Isaac Burk is the second in a family of three boys, of whom one died at the age of nine; his elder brother Andrew, was killed in the Civil War at the battle of Cedar Creek, Va. Isaac Burk left Easton when he was eleven years old, and worked on a farm until he was eighteen years of age; then began an apprenticeship at the saddler’s trade, working a short time. He responded to the call of his country for troops by enlisting, in August, 1862, in the nine-months’ service, in Company C, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth, P. V. I., and went to the front; some of the important engagements he participated in were the battles of Second Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. He was discharged at Harrisburg, May 8, 1863, and re-enlisted in December, same year, in Company E, Forty-seventh P.V. I., and was with his regiment through the Red River Campaign, under Banks; also in the battles of Mansfield, Pleasant Hill and Kane River, and was injured while helping to build a dam across Red river at Alexander; was with Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley, battles of Winchester, Fisher’s Hill and Cedar Creek, Va. He was mustered out at Charleston City, December 25, 1865. Mr. Burk was married, August 8, 1868, to Edna, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Decker) Kilpatrick, natives of Pennsylvania (she is the second in a family of six children, and was born in Freemansburg, Pa., July 22, 1850). To Mr. and Mrs. Burk were born four children: William H., Sarah, Elizabeth and Edna. After returning from the army, our subject worked two years in the Bethlehem Iron Works, and in 1869 went on the Lehigh Valley Railroad as brakeman, and a year later began firing; in July, 1875, he was promoted to engineer, which position he held until December, 1890, when he was appointed acting postmaster at Sayre. He is commander of Mallory Post, No. 285, G. A. R., Department of Pennsylvania; a member of E. P Hayden Command, No. 18, Union Veterans Union; also a member of Sayre Division, No. 280, B. of L. E. Politically he is a Republican, and received the appointment as postmaster, March 17, 1891, for four years.
CHARLES R. BURRITT, jeweler, Sayre, is a native of Delaware, Ohio, and was born October 8, 1855; a son of Rev. Charles D. and Orpha Ianthe (Randall) Burritt, the former a native of Ithaca and the latter of Camden, N. Y. Rev. C. D. Burritt was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was president of the Delaware Seminary, Delaware, Ohio, when he died, May 7, 1856, in his thirty-third year; his widow survives. The Burritts are of the same family as Elihu Burritt, “the learned blacksmith,” of Massachusetts. Charles, who is the only child by the second wife, was graduated at the Fredonia State Normal School in the summer of 1875; then went to Ithaca, where he learned the jeweler’s trade, and worked until 1881, when he moved to Bradford; remained there nine months, and then returned to Ithaca and there resided until 1886; thence went to Baltimore, and worked for one of the most prominent jewelers in that place about fourteen months, when he came to Sayre and started a jewelry store in May, 1887. In the fall of 1890 he completed a new brick block, 35x26, south of the “Wilbur House;” the hall above, owned by Burritt & Teed, is 50x26, and is well-fitted and furnished for a Lodge room, where thirteen different Orders meet. Mr. Burritt was married, In Ithaca, N. Y., in 1883, to Miss Emma D., daughter of Horace and Harriet A. (Steemburg) Presher, the former a native of Tioga county, and the latter of Saratoga county, N.Y.; Mr. Presher was a farmer, and a soldier in the Civil War; was taken prisoner and was confined in Andersonville prison eleven months, which ruined his health, and, lingering, he died in 1872 in his forty-second year; his widow resides in Ithaca. Mrs. Burritt is the second in a family of three children that grew to maturity, and was born in Tioga county, N. Y., December 14, 1860. To Mr. and Mrs. Burritt were born two children, viz.: Nina May and Edna Lillian. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a member of the Patriotic Order Sons of America, Equitable Aid Union and International Fraternal Alliance. In politics he is a Republican.
D. M. BURROUGHS, farmer, Franklin township, P. O. West Franklin, was born in Delaware county, N. Y., November 15, 1829, a son of Hiram and Catherine (Griffin) Burroughs, both of whom were born in Delaware county, N. Y.; they came to this county in 1842, located in LeRoy township, and after one year removed to Monroeton, where they resided three years, after which they moved to Franklin township where they resided until their death. The father died February 27, 1875, at the age of sixty-nine years; the mother survived him seven years. Hiram Burroughs improved and cleared a farm of sixty acres of valuable land. His family were nine in number - four sons and five daughters - seven of whom are now living. The subject of this sketch, who is the fourth in the family, was reared and educated in Franklin township, and always lived and worked on a farm. On September 10, 1851, he married, at West Franklin, Miss Matilda, daughter of George and Ellen Robinson, and to them have been born three sons, as follows: Daniel G., married to Delilah, daughter of John and Eliza McKeel; Remona, married for his first wife to Clara Robinson, and for his second to Miss Ella Green; and “Mc.,” his youngest son, who still remains single. Mr. Robinson was one of the early settlers in Towanda, and a weaver by trade, formerly from Philadelphia, but a native of Scotland; he was a Revolutionary soldier. Mr. Burroughs depends mostly upon dairying, but is at the same time a general farmer. There is a mineral spring (sulphur) on his farm; he has a valuable sand-bank of two grades of superior building sand. Mr. and Mrs. Burroughs are members of the Church of Christ.
ARTHUR B. BURROWS, Stevensville, was born October 16, 1849, a son of Joshua and Harriet C. (Boswick) Burrows, former of whom is a representative of an old New England family, his mother being a descendant of the White family, who came over on the “Mayflower.” The father, who is a cabinet-maker by trade, came to Pike township, this county, in 1840, locating on the farm now owned by his son, Arthur B., and later engaged in mercantile business at Stevensville, but is now living in Gibson, Pa. In his family there are six children, of whom Arthur B. is the fifth. Our subject was reared on the farm he now owns, and was educated in the common school, and at Fort Edward Institute. He began life for himself, at the age of twenty-one, in mercantile business at Stevensville, where he remained ten years, and has since been employed as traveling salesman. He was married January 31, 1873, to Mary Alice Devine, and by her has one child, Fay Arthur, born December 13, 1873. This wife dying, Mr. Burrows married, August 19, 1879, for his second, Anna E., daughter of Thomas and Emeline (Whitney) Lyon, former a native of New York of English-Quaker lineage, and the latter a native of Pennsylvania, of English and French origin. Mr. and Mrs. Burrows have two children: Urban J., born April 10, 1880, and Helen L., born October 21, 1883. Mrs. Burrows is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Burrows is a stanch, zealous, life-long Democrat. He purchased his present home in 1877, and has since erected the finest residence in Pike township.
J. K. BUSH, a prominent clothier and dealer in gents’ furnishing goods, Towanda, is a native of Stroudsburg, Pa., and is a son of John B. and Catherine B. (Detrick) Bush, the former a native of Hartford, Conn., and the latter of Berks county, Pa. J. K. Bush, was reared in Stroudsburg and Philadelphia, received a common-school education, and in 1865 located in New York City, where, for a time, he was employed in a wholesale clothing establishment, and for several years was engaged as a contractor in painting and frescoing. In 1873 he came to Towanda, and embarked in his present business on Bridge street, where he continued a successful trade until the spring of 1891, when, to accommodate his increasing patronage, he removed to Main street, where he does an extensive business, occupying two large floors and carrying one of the largest stocks of goods to be found in Bradford county. He was married November 19, 1870, to Elizabeth E., daughter of Edward Lamden, of New Rochelle, N. Y., by whom he has one son, Johnson L. Mr. Bush is a gentleman of industry and energy, and is a liberal and enterprising citizen. He is an attendant of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics is a Republican.
ELLIHU BUTTLES, farmer and stock grower, of Orwell township, P. O. South Hill, is a son of Jarves and Sarah Ann (Horton) Buttles, and was born in Orwell township, November 28, 1851. Jarves Buttles was one of the prominent citizens of his day, and was born in Connecticut, October 16, 1800; he was twice married - the first time, October 21, 1828, to Alma Cowdrey, who was born August 19, 1805, and died July 2, 1843. By this marriage there were the following children: Otis J., born January 1, 1830, now of Herrick; Lester F., born April 2, 1831, died June, 1883; Emily J., born October 28, 1832, married to Leroy Hathway; Harlow J., born May 17, 1834; Samuel F., born January 5, 1836, died May 14, 1884 (was a member of the One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment, and received a gun-shot wound in the back, at the battle of Gettysburg, which finally caused his death); Eliza M., born October 20, 1838, married to Thomas Smith; Juliana born December 10, 1840, died January 12, 1860; Elizabeth A., born December 12, 1842, married to G. M. Prince. For his second wife he married, March 7, 1848, Sarah Ann Horton, born October 8, 1816, a daughter of John Horton, of Rome, and by this union there are two children, viz.: Levisa, born May 27, 1850, married to Jason Forbes, and Ellihu; the mother of these children died August 7, 1881; and father October 5, 1890. Jarves Buttles came to Orwell township in February, 1817; he was a manufacturer of wooden bowls, and built a factory; he was an eloquent Methodist preacher, and the first justice of the peace in this section. He performed many marriage ceremonies and received all kinds of payments; there is a gentleman yet living in this county who split two hundred fence rails for Mr. Buttles to pay for his marriage ceremony. He was elected to the office of county commissioner; he was postmaster of South Hill over forty years, that office never having been out of the Buttles family. Ellihu Buttles was born and reared on the farm he now occupies, and attended the district school until nineteen years of age, securing a good common-school education. He engaged in farming on his pleasant place, containing about forty acres, a part of the old homestead, which at one time contained over two hundred acres. He has been twice married, the first time December 31, 1872, to Ellen Atwood, daughter of George Atwood. She dying February 16, 1883, Mr. Buttles was married April 8, 1884, to Mary E., daughter of Edward and Elizabeth (Barnes) Clark, of Standing Stone, who had a family of six children, of whom Mrs. Buttles is the eldest, born April 26, 1862; her youth was spent in Standing Stone, where she received her earlier education, and she afterward attended the Towanda Collegiate Institute; then at seventeen years of age she commenced teaching, which profession she followed several years. To Mr. and Mrs. Ellihu Buttles has been born one child, Dora M. Mr. Buttles is a Republican in politics.
S. S. BUTTS, farmer and apiarist, Wyalusing township, P. O. Wyalusing, was born in Monroe county, Pa., May 25, 1833, son of Peter and Mary (Place) Butts, the former of whom was born in Northampton county, Pa., in 1801, and the latter in Monroe county, Pa., in 1810. His paternal ancestors were from Germany, and the ancestors on his mother’s side were from Holland and Scotland. His father when fifteen years of age removed to Monroe county, where he married, learned blacksmithing, and worked at his trade until 1843, when he removed to Mehoopany township, Wyoming county, and devoted himself to farming, until his death in 1879. They had a family of thirteen children, viz.: Hannah (deceased); William, a brick manufacturer and grower of tropical fruit, of Sorrento, Lake Co., Fla.; Susanna M., married to L. G. Burgess, farmer of Susquehanna county; Catherine (deceased); Samuel (deceased); S. S. (subject); James P. (deceased); Charles resides on the old homestead; Jerome S. (deceased); John P. (deceased); Theodore W. (deceased); Leonora F. and Frank H. (deceased). Our subject passed his boyhood in Mehoopany, was educated in the common schools and Wyoming Seminary, and began his career as a teacher, which he successfully followed many years, having a professional certificate granted him. After fourteen years thus spent he turned his attention to farming and that, combined with various other occupations, he has followed until the present. The years 1874 to 1886 he devoted to organizing of the Order of Good Templars in Bradford and adjoining counties. In the spring of 1866 he purchased his present farm and removed to Bradford county, where he has eighty acres of finely improved land which he has well stocked, also owns the old homestead in Wyoming county, which contains one hundred and thirty-six acres. He is largely engaged in the bee culture, to which he devotes much attention, especially to the rearing of queen bees for market; he has large apiaries on each of his farms. Mr. Butts was married December 1, 1864, to Ursula C. Bowen, daughter of Elias S. Bowen, of Wyoming county, and they have had two children born to them: Mary L., born February 8, 1867, died June 15, 1886, and George E., born February 19, 1871. Mr. Butts, although not connected with any church, is an earnest Christian worker, and to him is largely due the erection of the beautiful union chapel of Lime Hill, which was erected in 1881; also the organization of the public library of that place; politically he is identified with the Prohibition party.
REV. STEPHEN A. CALIFF, Presbyterian clergyman, East Smithfield, was born in East Smithfield township, this county, February 29, 1836, a son of Allen and Hannah (Thomas) Califf, former a native of Vermont, and latter of Rhode Island, of English descent; the family trace their ancestry to the year 1699. Gen. Warren, of Bunker Hill fame, was related to our subject’s family on the mother’s side. Grandfather Califf came to East Smithfield township in 1816, when his son Allen was four years of age, and here as a pioneer he commenced farming. Rev. Stephen A. Califf, who is the eldest of three children, was prepared for college at the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Towanda, was graduated from Jefferson College and Princeton Theological Seminary, and ordained in 1867. He first located as pastor at West Newark, Tioga Co., N. Y., three years; then spent two years in ministerial labor in Wells township, this county, and three years at McIntyre, Lycoming county, whence, owing to failing health, he came to East Smithfield and remained till August, 1881, when he returned to McIntyre, where he remained till 1884, in December of which year he again came to Smithfield where, in April of the following year, he became pastor of the Congregational Church in the town of East Smithfield. Mr. Califf was married April 27, 1865, to Emily Matthews, who was born in Orwell, August 13, 1833, the third in a family of seven children of Samuel and Betsy W. (Fletcher) Matthews, former a native of Connecticut, and latter of Vermont; the Fletchers trace their ancestry back to Robert Fletcher, who was born in 1592. Mr. and Mrs. Califf have had born to them five children, as follows: Alden M., born January 29, 1866, was graduated from the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Towanda, and is now at Princeton College; Alice L. and Casper A., born July 20, 1868, attending the Institute at Towanda; Martha and Grace died in infancy. Mrs. Califf’s grandmother, Fletcher was a Ballou, niece of Hosea Ballou and a cousin of President Garfield’s mother. Mr. Califf owns and manages a farm, and is still officiating as pastor of the Congregational Church at East Smithfield. In politics he is a Republican. He is beloved by his Congregation and a wide circle of friends.
CHARLES O. CAMP, manufacturer of spokes, Camptown, was born in Wyalusing township, Bradford Co., pa., October 19, 1865, a son of J. D. and Mary A. (Smith) Camp, natives of Wyalusing township, and is the third in a family of four children; the eldest, Stella, married M. H. Rockafellow, a blacksmith now residing in New York; Alice the second, died when twelve years of age; the youngest, also named Alice, married Elmer Cox, a farmer of Pike township. Charles O. Camp was born and reared on a farm, was educated in the common schools, and at the Camptown Academy; when twenty years of age he began to learn the carpenter and joiner’s trade, working a year with W. B. Camp, and two years with J. W. Lathrop; he entered the employ of C. H. Amsby and operated the spoke department of the latter’s factory at Camptown, also learning carding, etc. In this position he remained until 1891, when he leased the factory and has since been having a successful trade in both carding and spoke manufacturing, he being a skilled mechanic and machinist. Mr. Camp was married to Mary Graham, a daughter of Richard Graham, a farmer of Wyalusing; politically he is identified with the Republican party.
GEORGE S. CAMP, farmer, P. O. Herrick, was born near Camptown, this county, June 17, 1819. His father Isaac Camp, was born near Hartford, Conn., January 25, 1782. His grandfather, Job Camp, was also a native of Connecticut. Isaac Camp came to Camptown in 1800, and served an apprenticeship to the millwright trade, during which time he married, February 10, 1803, Mary Polly Lacey, the eldest daughter of Ebenezer and Lydia (Pratt) Lacey, of Luzerne county, Pa., and removed to New York State. He had worked at his trade several years, and his family had increased to six, when he came back to this county and located in Wyalusing township, in the year 1816. In 1825 he purchased a farm in Herrick township, on which he remained the rest of his life, as a farmer and millwright, and died January 3, 1861; his wife died in February, 1876, in her ninety-second year. They had nine children: Clark C., Isaac, Joseph, Lydia A. (wife of M. Weldon), Albert G., Marietta (wife of Charles Overpeck), George S., Clarissa (wife of J. S. Crawford) and Thaddeus S. George S. Camp came to Herrick township in 1825, in his sixth year, and attended what is said to have been the first school in Herrick township. This he attended nine years; his first teacher being Hannah Smith, who afterward married his brother, Joseph Camp. After leaving school he helped his father until his twenty-sixth year, when, in 1845, he married Maria Jennings, a daughter of John and Sarah (Overpeck) Jennings, the second in a family of seven children, five of whom are living. In 1849 he purchased, from his brother Joseph, a house and lot, in which he now lives. In 1850 his father divided the property, and George S. received, as his share, forty acres adjoining his first purchase. He has spent his whole life farming. He built his barn in 1851, and an addition to his house in 1859. Mr. Camp is a member of Wyalusing Baptist Church, and is a Republican. He and his wife have had four children: Emma, wife of C. J. Vosburg; Louisa, wife of C. C. Wood; Lydia O., wife of George J. Johnson; and Priscilla.
WILLIAM HENRY CAMP, wagon-maker and blacksmith, Spring Hill, was born in Pike township, this county, November 4, 1831, and is a son of Daniel and Harriet (Bosworth) Camp, natives of Pennsylvania, and of New England origin; in their father’s family there were the following children: William Henry, Theodore A., Charlotte M. (deceased), Irene G. (now Mrs. George Smith, of Philadelphia, Pa.), Reed B. and Daniel W. Our subject began life for himself at twenty-one, blacksmithing at Inghamtown, this county, remaining there two years, then went to Laceyville where he worked at his trade six years, removing to Camptown where he worked a year and a half; then came to Spring Hill, where he has since been engaged in manufacturing and repairing all kinds of wagons, and doing general blacksmithing; indeed, it might be said that he is the only first-class wagon-maker in Tuscarora township, and has succeeded in his business generally. Mr. Camp was married October 10, 1855, to Miss Jennie, daughter of Israel and Eliza (Wells) Buck, of Wyalusing, and they have five children, viz.: Eldridge Weston (born June 7, 1858, died May 18, 1885), Lottie Estella (born March 16, 1861, now Mrs. Lewis Rutan, of Wyalusing), Elzia Harriet (born July 11, 1868, died September 28, 1884), Perrin Wells (born October 2, 1872) and Victor Eugene (born May 13, 1876). The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Spring Hill, and he is a member of the F. & A. M. at Laceyville. In politics he is an unyielding advocate of the principles of Prohibition.
A. J. CAMPBELL, a farmer in South Creek township, P. O. Wellsburg, N. Y., was born in Ridgebury township, this county, July 13, 1832, a son of John and Mercy (Worden) Campbell. His mother died when he was two days old, and when two weeks old he was adopted into the family of Calvin West, who was captain of a company of militia, and was known as “Capt. West;” he was an extensive lumber manufacturer and an enterprising man in all branches of business; he built several sawmills in his time, and was the founder of the gristmill at Wellsburg, N. Y.; also erected several dwelling houses; he purchased five hundred acres of land from the owners, Alexander Johnson and George Gavit, of Philadelphia; this land was heavily timbered; the timber, when manufactured into lumber, was shipped down the Susquehanna river, also to New York and other Eastern markets. Mr. West was married four times. His first wife was Betsey Elizabeth Covill, whom he married in 1820, when he was fourteen and she was twelve years of age; to them were born seven children, all of whom grew to maturity. About the year 1871, when at the age of seventy, he disposed of all his property in the East, giving to each of his children about $3,000 in real or personal property or money, selling off the balance, and with nearly $30,000 went to the State of Wisconsin, where he purchased a large farm and built a palatial residence, also a large stock barn and other out-buildings to correspond. He died March 28, 1886, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. Mr. A. J. Campbell remained with Capt. West until he was of age, according to a contract received from Alexander Johnson, who was boarding at Capt. West’s while on business, about the time the child was adopted by him. Mr. Johnson gave the captain $5.00 if he would name the child Alexander Johnson Campbell after him, the $5.00 to be invested in sheep at $1.00 a head, the sheep to be doubled every four years, until the child became of age; this was agreed upon, and the plan carried out for a number of years, but was finally neglected altogether, in consequence of which failure Capt. West gave Mr. Campbell eighty acres of good land; he afterward made him an heir of the state along with his own children, giving him eighty acres more. Mr. Campbell occupied this property in 1865, and he is now living on it. He spent seven years in the West, and three years one month and eleven days in the army. During this time married, in Harvard, Ill., January 4, 1864, Nancy, daughter of Edward and Jane Hogan. At the time of his marriage he was serving his country as a soldier, in Company K, Second Wisconsin Cavalry, for the term of three years, and was home on a furlough; he served his time and was honorably discharged as corporal. To Mr. and Mrs. Campbell was born, 1868, one son named Frank M. E. Mr. Campbell carries on general farming, and is prosperous. Politically he has been a Republican since the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion in 1861. There is on his farm a mineral spring, known by many of the old settlers of the county as “Dick’s Lick,” where many deer have been slain, but the water has not yet been analyzed.
CHAUNCY C. CAMPBELL, farmer, P. O. Hoblet, born in Burlington, this county, November 11, 1843, is a son of George W. and Harriet (Kingsley) Campbell; his grandfather, William Campbell, settled in Burlington early in this century, and was among the first settlers of that town. George W. Campbell was a lumberman and farmer, in which business Chauncy was reared. When twenty years of age, Chauncy enlisted in the State Militia, and after a short time re-enlisted in the general service in the Civil War, and was in many hard-fought battles. His brother, George, was also in the service, and was prisoner sixteen months. Chauncy Campbell is fifth of his parents’ nine children. On January 1, 1867, he was united in marriage with Tempie, daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Jerolomon) VanKirk, natives of New Jersey; she was born April 20, 1847, and is the sixth in a family of nine children, they being of German and French extraction. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have had four children, as follows: Elmer O., born October 12, 1867, married to Lucy Taylor; Joseph W., born February 20, 1871; Mattie J., born March 8, 1879, and Harrison K., born September 29, 1882. Mr. Campbell settled twenty-three years ago where he yet lives, and now owns a fine farm, being a prosperous farmer, making dairying his principal industry. He is member of the G. A. R., and takes an active interest in the politics of the Republican party. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is one of the trustees.
DANIEL CAMPBELL, farmer, P. O. Litchfield, was born in Litchfield township, Bradford Co., Pa., August 14, 1830, on the farm now owned by T. W. Brink, and is a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Struble) Campbell. Jacob Campbell spent most of his life after he was seventeen years of age in the township where he was born, following the agricultural and lumbering business. Jacob and Elizabeth Campbell had the following named children: Eliza Ann, married to Alanson Carner, and residing at Athens; Sally Maria, married to D. S. Chandler, of Litchfield; Ralph, died in Clearfield county, unmarried; Jacob S., married to Ann Fredrick, and living at Hyatt’s Ferry, N. Y.; Daniel, Moses J., married to Mahala Russell, both deceased; G. J. married to Phoebe Perry, who died some years since; C. H., married to Isabelle Fredrick, a farmer and blacksmith residing at Litchfield; William B., married to Mattie Campbell, of Litchfield. At the age of eighteen Daniel Campbell left school and engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he followed several years; also carried on a lumber business in Clearfield county. He settled on a farm in Litchfield township which he now owns. His wife’s name was Leah Fredrick, and they have one son, who married Huldah Carmer, and is now employed as clerk in Athens. Mr. Campbell is a member of the I.O.O.F., Litchfield Lodge, No. 938, and in politics is a Democrat.
JESSE W. CAMPBELL, of the firm of De Lano & Campbell, grocers, Towanda, was born in Candor, Tioga Co., N. Y., December 30, 1854, a son of George W. and Evaline (White) Campbell, and is of Scotch and German descent. His parents settled in Bradford county in 1856, and now residing in New Albany, where the father is engaged in farming. They were the parents of five children, as follows: Jesse W., Laura (Mrs. Frank Coolbaugh), Mary (Mrs. Earl Wilcox), Rhoda and George W. Jesse W. Campbell was reared in Bradford county, and received a common-school education. From May, 1879, till April, 1880, he was employed as a clerk at the “International Hotel,” Towanda, by S. M. Brown; from there he went to the “Elwell House,” in the employ of O. Kellogg, where he remained nearly four years. In May, 1884, he entered the employ of Powell & Co., general merchants, with whom he remained until May, 1889, when he entered into partnership with S. S. De Lano, in the present grocery business, and they are doing a thriving trade. Mr. Campbell was married in May, 1881, to Mary, daughter of Thomas and Bridget (Supple) Fitten, of Marshview, this county, by whom he has two children: Charles and Mary. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics he is a Republican.