History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
ships, respectively. William Shoemaker is a farmer, and resides in Granville Township. Mrs. Warren is the eldest in a family of four children, and was born in Granville Township, in September 1842. To Mr. and Mrs. Warren were born eight children, of whom four are living, as follows: G. A., B. J., Erret, and Edna. The family are members of the Disciple Church, of which Mr. Warren is an elder, and a superintendent of the Sunday school; he is a member of the West Granville Grange. Politically he is a Republican, and is serving his fourth term as Township auditor.
Ezekiel N. Waterman, farmer, and one of the surviving veterans of the Civil War, PO Nichols, Tioga County, New York, is a native of Smithboro, Tioga County, New York, born October 9, 1834, a son of James and Lucinda (Smith) Waterman, natives of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively, and of remote English and German descent. James was a "village blacksmith," and died in 1859, while his widow surviving until 1875. Their family consisted of 14 children, of whom Ezekiel is the ninth, and grew to his majority in his father's humble home. He came to Bradford County in 1871, and has been a farmer and mill operator in Windham Township, and is now retired on his comfortable little home farm. He volunteered in the service in July 1863, in Co. B., 104th regiment, N.Y.V.I., and with his command was sent directly to the front, going from Owego to Elmira, then to New York, then to Rockers Island, then by sea to Norfolk, then to Alexandria, and thence to the Rappahannock River under General Robinson, the Confederates living on one side of the river and the Union Forces on the other. They then crossed over to Brundy Station, and thence to the Rapidan, which they reached October 11, where he was stricken with fever, and when the army fell back he was left, and an ambulance took him to Culpepper, from where he was sent to Corse hospital in Washington, where he was in the hospital five weeks then was sent home on furlough, and was ultimately discharged July 29, 1865, and has never recovered fully, but remains disabled and is pensioned. On his return from the army he entered a store and was in partnership three years, when he purchased the little farm he now occupies. He married Dell, daughter of Job R. and Parmelia (Osborn) Bixby, the former a native of Bradford County, and the latter of Orange County, New York, of Scotch and German origin. Of this married are children as follows: George H., Ed J., Frank O., Iva M., Sarah N., Bertha L., and Winifred U. In politics he is a Republican, has been on the school board, and served as president last year and is now Secretary.
A. Watkins, farmer and stock grower, of Ulster Township, PO Ulster, was born the 31st day of August 1840, on the farm which he now occupies. His father, Lorenzo Watkins, was born in South Reading, Windsor County, Vermont, in 1807; his mother Matilda Watkins, was born in Athens, this County, in 1815. Lorenzo Watkins migrated to Bradford County, in 1836; his family consisted of two children. A. Watkins, the subject of the sketch, was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the country schools, with the exception of four or five terms at Towanda; leaving school he engaged in farming and has always been successful. Dec. 24, 1862, he was married to Sarah, daughter of S, Clark, of Burlington; by this marriage were two children: Frank, a physician, of Grey's Harbor, Washington, and Edwin, a teacher. His first wife died in 1870, and September 24, 1872, he was married to Christena Murdoch, daughter of Alexander and Janette Murdoch, natives of Scotland, but residents of Ulster; by this marriage there were three children: Cora, died, in January 10, 1877; George H., and Leslie Day. In his political views Mr. Watkins is a staunch Republican; in religious views he is independent, not been connected with any Church. In his possession is an old parchment deed, granting lands to Simonds, said lands been his and a part of three other farms. There is on his farm an old burying ground used by the aborigines as a place of internment; it is located on the river bank and he has plowed up numerous skeletons, some of them being a very large size; he also made a discovery near the same place, tending to show that the aborigines either used that means of cremation, or else offered human sacrifice at their funerals, probably the latter--of a large flat stone, of a variety and formation unknown in that locality, it was surrounded with smaller stones firmly cemented together so as to form a bowl shaped cavity; in the hollow of the structure was found charcoal and the charred remains of human bones. Mr. Watkins now owns 100 acres of finally improved and highly cultivated land, and devotes his attention entirely to farming and sheep grazing.
Mial Watkins, a prominent farmer of Columbia Township, PO Austinville, was born in Columbia Township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania, Feb. 13, 1819, and is a son of David and Polly (Seeley) Watkins, natives of Connecticut, who were the first settlers in Columbia Township. David Watkins was born Jan. 21, 1779. He cleared the farm now owned by our subject and son Burt, and died there; his children were Laura (Mrs. Philip Slade), who was the first white child born in Columbia Township; Charry (Mrs. John Wolfe), Seeley, William, Rebecca (Mrs. Isaac Besley), Eliada, Mial, Hannah (Mrs. Isaiah Montanye), Mary (Mrs John Perry). Mial Watkins was reared in Columbia Township, where he has always resided, and is the owner of five farms of which he cleared a large part of the homestead. He was twice married: first time to Ophelia, daughter of Alexander Harris, of Rutland, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, and by her he had three children, as follows: Ida Bell (Mrs. David Deforest), Walter, and Burt. His second wife was Mrs. Hester M. (Case) Pennell, of Troy Township, by whom he has one son named Treat. Mr. Watkins in politics is a Republican.
William B. Watkins, farmer of Columbia Township, PO Altus, was born in that Township, June 3, 1869, and is a son of Joel and Eliza (Horton) Watkins. His paternal grandparents were William C. and Pamphelia (Furman) Watkins, and his great grandparents were David and Polly (Seeley) Watkins, one of the five families who first settled to Columbia Township. The maternal grandfather of our subject was Thomas Horton, a pioneer of Rutland, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, and the father of our subject was a native of Columbia Township, where he followed the occupation of farming, and is now residing at Austinville. He reared a family of five children: Flora (Mrs. H. A. Bullock), William B., Carrie, Grace, and Thaddeus. The children of William C. and his wife Pamphelia (Furman) Watkins were Justus, John, Cordelia (Mrs. Charles Strait) and Joel. William B. was reared in his native Township, educated in the common schools, and resides on the old homestead of his father and grandfather. He married, March 28, 1888, Lillian, daughter of William W. and Sarah (Ayres) Young, of Columbia Township, and has one son, Leslie. Mr. Watkins is one of the prominent young farmers of Columbia Township; in politics he is a Republican.
Nelson S. Watson, merchant, Springfield Township, PO Big Pond, was born Nov. 14, 1830, in Greene, Chenango County, New York, a son of John K. and Maria (Upham) Watson, natives of that County. John K. was a farmer and came to this County in 1838, and located on a farm in Big Pond, then nearly a dense wilderness; he was a man of influence, and died at the age of 68 years, Nov. 4, 1872, and the mother died March 30, 1875, at the age of 69 years; they were of English extraction. Mr. Watson was the second in a family of seven children--five sons and two daughters; he was reared on the farm and was educated in the schools of the Township, and was a lumberman and farmer many years. 26 years ago he commenced in his present business, that of the general merchant, in which he has accumulated a competence. Two of his brothers, Thomas and George, were in the Civil War, and George was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness and taken a prisoner to Andersonville, and when nearly starved to death was exchanged, and brought home a complete wreck. Aug. 27, 1855, our subject married Hannah, of Springfield, born Aug. 31, 1828, daughter of Luke and charity Pitts, early settlers in the Township. Mr. Pitts built the first gristmill in the Township; they are believed to be the same family as Sir William Pitt. Mr. and Mrs. Watson have two children: Willie, who died when one and a half years of age, and Charles, born Nov. 2, 1857, married Jessie Hammond, of Ridgebury, and is a newspaper reporter. Mr. Watson is a strong Republican as well as a great Temperance man.
John Mason Wattles (deceased) was born in Wysox, this County, Feb. 9, 1816, a son of Arunah and Elizabeth (Allen) Wattles, of Scotch and Irish linage, respectively; his grandfather, Jessie Allen, who was a nephew of Ethan Allen, of Revolutionary fame, was among the first settlers in Wysox, and one of the founders and leaders of the church at that place. As far back as it has been possible to trace the Wattles family is to one John Wattles, who came from Scotland and settled in Connecticut; he had two sons, John and Dan, both of whom settled in Delaware County, New York, Dan afterwards coming to Bradford County; he married Cynthia Williams, a niece of Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island, and had three children, Arunah, Caroline, and John. Arunah Wattles was elected a member of the Pennsylvania Legislature in 1848. In his family there were 11 children, of whom John Mason was the second. The subject of these lines, when quite a young man, was chosen clerk in the County Commissioners office, at Towanda, where he remained several years; they located on a farm in Wysox, and in 1872 removed to the present estate, where he died April 11, 1889. He was married, Aug. 31, 1843, to Amanda, daughter of Sheppard and Sarah (Coolbaugh) Pierce, the former a native of New York and of Irish origin, the latter a native of Pennsylvania and of German origin. They have five children, as follows: Henry Leslie, a conductor on the Northern Pacific Railroad, at Tacoma, Washington; John P., on a ranch near Denver, Colorado; Fred, married to Ellen Moscrip (they have two children, Fred Mason and Helen); Sara Pierce, and Ruth, who are living on the old homestead which they now own. Mr. Wattles was, during his life, a strong Democrat and unusually well versed in the workings of the government.
A.E. Watts, farmer and dairyman, PO East Canton, was born Jan. 31, 1833, on the farm where he now resides, a son of Squire and Margaret (Gregg) Watts, natives of Towanda and Sheshequin, respectively. Squire Watts was a farmer, born Aug. 5, 1800, and was killed while helping to take down a barn in May 1863. Mrs. Watts died Nov. 1, 1886, in her 90th years; the paternal grandfather, Frank Watts, was a native of Scotland. AE Watts is the youngest in a family of six children--for sons and two daughters--of whom five are now living. He was reared on the farm, and received his education in the common schools; was engaged in lumber business several years, but made farming his main occupation, and now owns a farm containing 80 acres in a good state of cultivation. He was married in LeRoy Township, in 1866, to Samantha, daughter of Sullivan and Phoebe (Bailey) Morse, natives of LeRoy Township and Massachusetts, respectively. Sullivan Morse is a farmer, and resides in LeRoy Township. Mrs. Watts is the sixth in order of birth in a family of seven children, and was born in LeRoy Township July 3, 1844. To Mr. and Mrs. Watts were born two sons: Frank (clerk in the First National Bank of Canton) and Clarence. Mrs. Watts is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Watts is a member of the F. and AM, Canton Lodge, No. 415, and also of the Keystone Grange. He enlisted, July 25, 1862, in Co. C., 132nd PVI, for nine months; he took part in the battles of Antietam, and Fredericksburg, where he was wounded December 13, 1862, and was mustered out at Harrisburg, May 24, 1863. Politically he is Independent, and has served one term as school director and one term as collector.
Thomas Murray Watts, farmer, LeRoy Township, PO East Canton, was born at Towanda, Jan. 4, 1825, a son of Squire and Margaret (Gregg) Watts, natives of Towanda and Dauphin County, Pennsylvania respectively. He was the son of Francis Watts, of Scotch descent, who came to Towanda about 1782 or 83, and built and operated a still a number of years; he settled on 200 acres of land, now a part of the town of Towanda; he was a Revolutionary soldier who fought bravely for his country, for which he was granted a homestead in the state of Illinois; was at the Wyoming massacre, was captured, but by strategy made his escape. Squire Watts removed to Canton about 1825, and located on a 100-acre lot, where he lived 37 years, and met his death by a timber falling upon him. His family consisted of four sons and two daughters, all of whom grew to maturity. Our subject, being the eldest of the family, was reared and educated in Canton at the common school; in early life he learned the carpenter’s trade, also devoted his attention to lumbering, and is now living on part of the old homestead. When 40 years of age, March 8, 1865 he married Mary, daughter of Jacob and Polly Beardsley, of Canton. Mr. Jacob Beardsley removed from New York and settled in Beech Flats about 1830; he was son of Isaac Beardsley, a native of Connecticut and a descendant of Puritan stock. The grandfather of Mrs. Watts on her mother's side, JB Farr, was a soldier in the War of 1812. Mr. Watts’ family consists of one son and four daughters, viz.: Mary Louise, Grace Delphine, Margaret Marion, Thomas Murray, Jr., and Helen Laville. He makes his specialty of lumbering, but works his farm to some extent, is a member of the F. and AM, is a Granger and politically is a Democrat; has been honored with the office of Commissioner nine years, held the same office in Sullivan County three years, was Justice of peace at same time, and was school director 13 years. He is a man of much thought and intelligence.
J. N. Weaver, master mechanic, Lehigh Valley Railroad shops at Sayre, is a native of Northampton County, Pennsylvania, and was born July 25, 1844, son of Henry and Marian (Semple) Weaver, the former of whom is a mechanic, a native of the same place, latter being a native of Scotland. J. N. Weaver, who is the fourth in a family of nine children, completed his education in the high school at Easton, Pennsylvania, and serve an apprenticeship at the machinists trade in Phillipsburg. He was employed by the LVRR as journeyman machinists in South Easton, where he remained until the fall of 1869, what he was transferred to Waverly, New York, and placed in charge of the engines and machines of this branch of the Lehigh Valley Railroad. He 1880 the company moved their shops to Sayre, where he superintended the construction of the shops, and has been in the employ of the company since. Mr. Weaver was married in Waverly, New York, in 1872, to Miss Lila, daughter of Zura and Fanny (Lyman) Travis, natives of Susquehanna County (she was born in Bradford County, Pennsylvania, in July 1847). To Mr. and Mrs. Weaver were born three children, viz.: T. Desmond, Agnes F., and Nellie F. The family are members of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Weaver is a member of the F. and AM, Union Lodge, No. 108, Towanda; Cayuta Chapter, No. 245, and Northern Commandery, No. 16; also of the Provident Life and Trust Company. He is a Republican, and served several terms as member of the council in Waverly, and two terms as school director in Sayre.
Hon. James H. Webb, attorney and counselor at law, Towanda, is a native of Tioga (now Chemung) County, New York, and was born Dec. 4, 1820. His parents were John L. and Annis (Hammond) Webb, natives of Connecticut, and of English descent, agriculturists, who came to this County in 1823, and located in Ridgebury Township, west of Athens. He was a man of strong personality, impressed upon his boys the lessons of an upright life and a vigorous brain and constitution, and died on his farm, in 1846. He left four sons and one daughter, and a marked incident of these brothers is a strong similarity of their political and public lives. These robust farmer boys acquired a good education, and all studied law and engaged while yet a young man in the practice, except our subject, who began reading law in 1883, and was licensed to practice in 1885. Scattering, as by instinct, to different County seats, they rose rapidly in their professions; all were active and staunch Republicans, and every one of them was elected time and again to the Legislature, and this gentleman was elected Speaker of the House at the beginning of his fifth term, and reelected in the Senate. This apparently being the first break in the line where all moved abreast, it is reasonable to suppose that if there had been four Speaker's chairs at the disposal of the body, the boys would have as a matter of course taken seats together; if there was but one chairman or Speaker possible, the other three boys started a new departure, and all three were elected to the Bench. The youngest, Charles M., is now filling his second term as President Judge, in Wisconsin. If there is a family in Bradford County that has turned out more self-made man, who, as it were, has gone hand-in-hand, from the plow handles to eminence and fame, they cannot now be readily recalled. James H. Webb was first married to Sally Chamberlain; she died in 1879, and left four children, as follows: George, who is now in government employ, Philadelphia; Charles G., bank cashier, Kansas; Edwin R. and William H. The second marriage was with Mrs. Mary M., widow of Joseph Munson, of Elmira. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Webb is an adopted daughter, Margaret. James H. Webb has served as register and recorder of Bradford County three terms, six terms in the Legislature, and in his public life has been an efficient friend of the County and its interests. His intelligence, probity and suavity have ever called about him since every manhood troops of admirers and sincere friends, and he has never had to swap his old friends for new ones; gentle and charitable, courageous for the right always, yet forgiving toward the faults of others; the living personification of what Scotia’s bard wrote:
"the rank is but the guinea’s stamp—A man’s a man for a ‘that."
John J. Webb, contractor and builder, Towanda, is one of the prominent citizens of this Township, and has contributed largely to the improvements of the borough. He was born in Orange County, New York, March 27, 1833, and is a son of David and Charity (Patterson) Webb, who were natives of New York, and of Welch and Dutch descent, respectively, and for generations were tillers of the soil. David Webb, however, was a tailor by trade, and the father of six children; the grandfather was a soldier of the Revolution. John J. Webb was the third in the family of children, and grew to manhood in his father's home. He received the advantages of a fair English education, and learned the carpenter’s trade, and in connection with this occupation has carried on a farm which is situated in North Towanda Township. In 1864 he enlisted in the First New York Veteran Cavalry, Co. D., and was honorably discharged at the end of the war, June 1, 1865. He married, Jan. 12, 1859, Frances, daughter of Albert and Susan (Bull) Lent, whose mother was a native of New York, and her father of Wysox Township, and the latter is now residing on the farm, where he was born in 1808, a representative pioneer of the valley. To this marriage have been born two children: Charity and Susan. Mr. Webb is a member of the G. A. R., Watkins Post, and a Republican in political affairs.
William Weigester, of Weigester and Morse, marble and granite works, Troy, Pennsylvania, was born in Peterboro, Canada, Dec. 9, 1858, and is a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Kimble) Weigester, natives of Germany. He was reared in his native town and educated in the common schools. He settled in Troy, Pennsylvania, in 1881, served an apprenticeship of three years with his brother, George, at the marble cutter’s trade, afterward worked as a journeyman, and, on the death of his brother in 1886, carried on the business for the widow one and a half years. In 1888 he purchased the business, which he conducted alone six months, when he formed a partnership with Mr. Frank Morse, and under the firm name of Weigester and Morse have since conducted a successful business. He married, Sept. 8, 1886, Suzie J., daughter of Benjamin and Lorinda (Putham) Smiley, of East Troy, and has one son, Charles. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics is a Prohibitionist.
C. H. Welch, General Foreman, locomotive department, L.V.R.R. Machine Shops, Sayre, is a native of Philadelphia, and was born May 1, 1855, only child of James and Eliza (Whitehead) Welch, the former a native of Norfolk, Virginia, and the latter of Philadelphia. The father, who was a rope spinner, died in Philadelphia in 1855 in his 36th year; the mother now resides in Philadelphia. C. H. Welch was reared in Philadelphia, and received his education in the city schools. When 17 years of age he went to Renova, and began an apprenticeship at the machinist trade in the Philadelphia and Erie Machine Shops, where he worked until February 1881, when he came to Sayre and found employment in the L. V. R. R. Machine Shops as journeyman until 1887, when he was made Foreman of the machine department, and in July 1889, was promoted to his present position. He was married in Renova, in 1878, to Miss Jennie, daughter of Rev. McCormick and Mary (Bolinger) Graham, natives of Clinton County, Pennsylvania. Rev. McCormick Graham is a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church; his family consisted of seven children, of whom Mrs. Welch is the fifth in order of birth, and five are living. Of this marriage there were born two children: Claire and Willmina. The family are members of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Welch is a member of the F & A.M., Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, also of the Patriotic Sons of America, and in politics is a Republican.
Artemus Weller, Litchfield Township, PO Athens, was born in Tioga County, New York, February 25, 1840, a son of Frederick Weller, a farmer who spent the greater portion of his life in Athens Township; his mother's name was Anna Spear; they had 15 children, six of whom are living: Elizabeth J., married first to Isaac Osborn, and afterward to William Fish; Erastus, married to Temperance Cary, resides in Tioga County, New York; Rachel, married to Jerome White, of Athens; Leartus, married to Amelia Cornaby; Daniel, married to Jane VanGorder, of Athens, and Artemus. Our subject came to Athens when three years old, and lived there continuously until 1878, when he removed to where he now resides. He attended schools in Athens until about 16, and received a good common school education. He enlisted in the Army, Oct. 1862, in the 171st regiment, Co. C., PVI; he was in the service nine months, when he was stricken with paralysis and returned home helpless, and for two years after was unable to do any business. Recovering somewhat, he engaged in the sawmill business, in which he had worked but a short time when by misfortune he lost the fingers of his right hand, which prevented him from doing anything. He then engaged for a time in peddling, and for a period of three years thereafter he was employed at Athens with the Union Bridge Works. He came to Litchfield Township and purchased the farm he now occupies, containing 50 acres; the handsome residence and surroundings attest to the success which has attended his efforts. He was married, in 1869, to Celicia Fitzgeralds, daughter of Adam and Mahala (Carman) Fitzgeralds. Mr. Weller is a member of Perkins Post, G. A. R., No. 202, Athens. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics he is a Republican.
Nathan V. Weller, dairyman, Athens, a native of Chemung County, New York, was born March 18, 1842, and is a son of Jacob A. E. and Julia (Fitzgerald) Weller, the former a native of Newburg, New York, and the latter of New Jersey. The father, who was a farmer, died at Greene’s Landing, Athens Township, this County, May 12, 1887, in his 78th year. Mrs. Weller died in 1876, in her 68th year. Nathan V. is the seventh in a family of 12 children, of whom two died in infancy; he came to Athens Township with parents, March 4, 1843, was reared on the farm, and received the early part of his education in the public schools; then attended a private school two years. He enlisted in the Army July 6, 1862, in Co. I, 109th, NYVI, and some of the engagements that he participated in were the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, North Anna, and Hatcher's Run; he was wounded at Petersburg and North Anna, and at Spotsylvania he was taken prisoner, but escaped the night after his capture with two others. He was mustered out at Tennallytown, June 16, 1865. After his return from the Army he worked at the blacksmith trade 10 years, and then abandoned it on account of ill health; afterward he engaged in farming and began dairying business in 1875; his farm contains 280 acres of well improved land with good buildings; he also handles agricultural implements. Mr. Weller was married in Athens Township, Nov. 8, 1865, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Edward and Agnes (Holmes) McMorran, natives of Scotland; they immigrated to this County about the year 1849, and are now residents of Athens. Mrs. Weller, who is the youngest in a family of four children, was born in Scotland, Aug. 21, 1844, and to them were born three children: Fred M., Harry E., and Mary A. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Weller is a member of the F. & A.M., Amity Lodge, No. 70, of the Chapter and Commandery, is also a charter member of the G. A. R., Perkins Post, No. 202, a member of the Union Veteran Legion, of Sayre, also of the Royal Arcanum. Mr. Weller is a Republican, and has filled the office of Township Treasurer, auditor, and Secretary of the school board.
N.A. Welles, Wyalusing, the son of Matthias H. and Mary (Ackley) Welles, was born at Wyalusing, but spent most of his youth in Elmira, New York. He was educated in the public schools and Cornell University. After graduating, he came to Wyalusing, where he is connected with the M. H. & G. H. Welles Lumber Company. He is married, and has two children, Sayre and Mary Ackley. The family worship at the Presbyterian Church. He is a Republican, but independent in town and County politics.
Raymond M. Welles, a prominent citizen of Towanda, was born in Wyalusing Township, this County, in 1825, and is a son of Charles F. and Ellen (Hollenback) Welles. His paternal grandfather was George Welles, a native of Connecticut, who settled Tioga Point (now Athens), in this County, about 1800, where he engaged in farming and later in merchandising, and resided there until his death; his wife was Prudence Talcott, of a noted Connecticut family, by whom he had five children, viz.; Susan, (Mrs. John Hollenback, of Owego, New York); General Henry (who married Sarah Spalding); Charles F.; James, and Mary (Mrs. William Pumpelly). The maternal grandfather was Matthias Hollenback, of German and Welch descent, a pioneer of the Wyoming Valley, who is said to have been the first trader at what is now Athens and Wysox, in this County, and at Elmira, New York, and boated merchandise up the Susquehanna River on what was called "Durham boats;" he was for many years a resident of Wilkes-Barre, and died there. Charles F. Welles, father of our subject, was a native of Connecticut, and was reared in Bradford County from 10 years of age. He had but three months steady schooling in his life; however, he educated himself and studied law in Binghamton, New York, but never practiced his profession. Most of his life was spent in farming and in the land agency business. He was the first prothonotary, register and recorder of Bradford County, receiving his appointment to the office by the governor in 1815, and served in that capacity until 1822; he then removed from Towanda to Wyalusing, where he resided until his death. His children were as follows: Charles F., Jr.; Sarah; Matthias H., Jane M. (Mrs. George M. Bixby); George H.; Henry H.; Raymond M.; John W. (whose name was changed to John Welles Hollenback by act of Legislature in 1862); William, and Edward. Raymond M. Welles was reared in Wyalusing Township and educated in the common schools and Owego and Athens Academies. In 1850 he engaged as a dealer in agricultural machinery and hardware in Athens. In 1856 -- 57 was engaged in the business of manufacturing fanning mills in Athens, and from 1857 to 1860 in the manufacturing of agricultural machinery, and from 1873 to 1876, was interested in agricultural works at Ithaca, New York. He has been a resident of Towanda since 1865. In 1850 he was married to Mary J., daughter of Thomas and Anne (West) Page, of Athens Township, formerly of England, by whom he has five children living, viz.; Charles P., Francis R., Edward M., Emma L., and Arthur T. Mr. Welles is a member of the Baptist Church, and in politics is an Independent.
Charles Page Welles, eldest son of the above, was born in Athens, Aug. 31, 1851, and was reared in Athens and Towanda and educated in the common schools and at Susquehanna Collegiate Institute. He has been engaged in the crockery and fancy goods business in Towanda since 1877. He was married, June 2, 1875, to Ellen, daughter of George and Sabra (Shinn) Best, of Quincy, Illinois, and has five children, as follows: Ellen and Florence (twins), Alice, Amelia, and Mary. Mr. Welles is a vestryman of Christ Episcopal Church, Towanda, and is a member of the F. & A.M., K. T. Scott Rite, and I.O.O.F., and K. of P. He served two terms as auditor of Bradford County; and was elected a member of the borough councils of Towanda 1888, running 108 votes a head of his ticket, and was elected Burgess of Towanda in 1890, and reelected to counsel in 1891 by the unanimous vote of the second ward. He is a popular and enterprising citizen, in politics is a Democrat.
Charles Wells, miller, Ulster, is a son of John Jay and Harriet (Smith) Wells, both natives of Johnstown, New York, and was born in Montgomery County, New York, May 7, 1829. The Wellses are of Welch, and the Smith of English, descent; their parents were born in Connecticut. His maternal ancestors came to this country in the "Mayflower," and landed at Plymouth Rock, in 1620; the next year the "Mayflower" bore, on its second trip, among its passengers, the ancestors of his family on his father's side. His father was a farmer and miller. The son attended the common schools of New York until the age of 17, and secured a fair education. At the age of 18 he ran away and shipped as assistant carpenter on the whaling vessel, "Sophia," of Nantucket, bound to the Pacific, and 44 long months were passed on the voyage; finally they reached Australia, and he left the ship, remaining at Sydney about two months; then secured passage for California, which place he reached in the fall of 1852, three years after the gold discovery; he started for the interior to mind gold immediately on landing, and located in Maraposa County; was at the mine six months, when he started to return home, coming via the isthmus and by steamer to New York, which he reached in December 1852. In 1853 he came to Pennsylvania, locating at Masontown, and engaged in the lumber business until 1861. Was then in the Navy as master mate; served on the United States supply ship, "supply," from which he was transferred to the United States sloop of war, "Lackawanna, " and joined the West Gulf squadron. In 1864 he was promoted to ensign and transferred to the United States steamer, "Glasgow," serving on board that vessel as executive officer until the close of the war. The vessels on which he served were in the blockading fleet on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts, and also participated in the capture of Mobile. Mr. Wells served altogether over three years in the Navy. In 1865 he came to Towanda, and was appointed superintendent of the mines at Barclay Mountain. He built, in 1866, the