History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
on the Sunday preceding the battle of Gettysburg, but was mustered out after being out six weeks. Mr. Strauss was married in Allentown, Pa., in 1861, to Miss Mary (Shelley) Thomas, the eldest of two children, and born in Bucks county, Pa., October 12, 1836. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Strauss were born six children, as follows:;; Charles, Carrie, William T., Gertie, John and Eva E. The family are members of the Lutheran Cchurch, of which Mr. Strauss holds the office of councilman; he is a member of the A. O. U. W., the Knights of Honor and the Empire Order Mutual Aid. In politics he is a Democrat, and is treasurer of Sayre borough.
FRANK I. STREBY, carriage manufacturer, Overton, is a native in Sullivan county, Pa., born April 5, 1860, and is a son of Thomas and Caroline (Bleiler) Streby, natives of Pennsylvania and of German extraction. The ancestors who came to America were Isaac Streby and Betsey Ann Ruth, the former of whom died in Overton in 1880, and the latter in 1886; these were grandparents of the subject of this brief sketch. In the father’s family were John, Fyann and Edward, of whom Fyann died in 1865. Thomas Streby removed to Sullivan county, where he reared a family of five children, of whom Frank I. is the third. Our subject grew to manhood in his native place, and came to Overton in 1881. He had learned the carriage-maker’s trade, and engaged at same in his new home, and he now owns and operates an extensive factory, turning out carriages, wagons and sleighs, and in all his work he has his own blacksmith shop. He was married, April 30, 1884, to Ellen, daughter of John and Hannah Heverly Molyneus, Pennsylvanians, of English and German extraction. Of this union there are three children, as follows: Herman C., and Thomas R. and Carrie E. (twins). Mr. Streby has a taste for fine horses, and has raised and handled many in his time, and has done much for the improvement of the horse in this county. In his barn at this time is the thoroughbred French imported coach stallion, "Rattler, Jr.," born at La Prairie, Canada, June 12, 1884, and which he imported at great expense. The Streby family worship at the German Reformed Church. He is a Democrat, has been school director, and is constable.
CHARLES B. STRICKLAND, farmer, Wysox township, P. O. Towanda, was born in Wysox, this county, January 6, 1864, and is a son of Stephen and Caroline (Holmes) Strickland, who are descendants of pioneer families in Bradford county. The father was born October 5, 1822, and died February 20, 1888; the mother was born May 30, a830, and is now living with him on the old homestead. The grandparents were Stephen Strickland (born January 1, 1793, died February 27, 1860). The great-grandparents were Stephen Strickland (born in 1763, died in 1800, and Nancy Wilcox, born 1768, died in 1841). In the father’s family there were four children: Frances H., born December 15, 1859, died December 28, 1862; Mary E., born October 20, 1861, married to James W. Shiner, Charles Bradford, the subject of this sketch, married January 9, 1889, to Miss Ethel Elizabeth, daughter of Hiram S. and Lydia M. (Graves), of Towanda (they have one child, Stephen, born April 22, 1890). The youngest child in Stephen Strickland’s family is Ella Lucile, born October 24, 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Charles B Strickland are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Towanda, and in politics he is a Republican.
DANIEL STRONG, farmer, proprietor of feed, cider and sawmills, P. O. Wells, was born in Wells township, this county, January 19, 1861; his parents were Daniel and Lucretia (Sherman) Strong, natives of Otsego county, N. Y., where the former was a tanner and lumberman, and died in 1861. Mrs. Strong still survives him, and resides on the farm with her son. Daniel was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools; he father erected the sawmill in which he placed new machinery; he added the cider-mill in 1883, and erected the feed-mill in 1884; he owns a farm containing 152 acres, which is in a good state of cultivation. He married, in Troy, in 1887, Nettie, daughter of James and Mary (Salsberry) Sawyer. James Salsberry is a farmer, and resides in Troy township, and Mrs. Strong, who was born in Troy township, in August, 1866, is the second in order of birth in his family of three children. To Mr. and Mrs. Strong were born two children: Harry and Claude. Mr. Strong is a member of Wells Grange, No. 528; politically he is a Democrat, and is serving his second year as a constable and collector.
JAMES H. STRONG, of the firm of Strong & Gernert, general merchants, Columbia Cross Roads, was born in Wells township, this county, May 6, 1852, a son of Daniel and Lucretia (Sherman) Strong. His paternal grandfather, John Strong, a native of England, ws a pioneer of Wells township, where he cleared and improved a large farm; was also a carpenter by trade, and resided in Wells township until his death; his wife was a Miss Burt, by whom he had eleven children, as follows: Clarisa, Cordelia, Elizabeth, John, William, George, Belden, Thomas, James P., Daniel, Sarah and Mary A.; of these Daniel, a native of Wells township, cleared a farm there, and operated a sawmill on his place, in connection, many years; his children were eleven in number: John, Andrew, George, Joseph, James H., Daniel, Clara (Mrs. John Drummond), Mary (Mrs. Asa Wilcox), Flora (Mrs. Richard Wickham), Sarah (Mrs. Crippen), and Hannah (Mrs. Smith). James H. Strong was reared by his uncle, James P. Strong, of Columbia township, and received a common-school education. For ten years he was operator, express and station agent at Columbia Cross Roads, and in the hay and grain business, still continuing the latter. Since the fall of 1889 he has also been engaged in general merchandising. In 1876 Mr. Strong married Mary Dell, a daughter of William H. and Maria (Howland) Gernert, of Columbia township, and they have four sons: Foster, William H., Andrew and Robert. Mr. Strong is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican, and has been postmaster of Columbia Cross Roads since the spring of 1889.
JAMES H. STRUBLE, farmer, Columbia township, P. O. Columbia Cross Roads, was born in Wantago township, Sussex Co., N. J., August 13, 1863, and is a son of Jacob and Phebe (Kilgore) Struble. His paternal grandfather, Peter Struble, was of Dutch descent, a native of Sussex county, N. J., and is a son of Peter Struble; his maternal grandfather, Robert Kilgore, was a native of Ireland, and a pioneer of Columbia township, this county. Our subject was reared in Sussex county, N. J., removed to Columbia township, this county, with his parents, where they settled and still reside. James H. is the eldest of their six children: James H., Peter, John, Theodore, Jacob and Robert. In 1861, Mr. Struble purchased a farm in Columbia township, where he partially cleared and improved, and still owns, and resided there until 1885, when he removed to Columbia Cross Roads, where he still resides. He was twice married; his first wife was Mrs. Harriett (Furman), Gernert, and his second wife was Nancy Pennock. Before he married, Mr. Struble had worked out several years, and helped to clear 100 acres of land. He is a prominent and representative citizen, a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and in politics he is a Democrat.
JACOB STRUNK (deceased). –The family from which this gentleman has descended, and which has long filled prominent places in the different localities in which they have made their homes, originated in Germany. Tradition tells us that William, Powlis and Henry, three brothers, came to this country on the same ship during Colonial times, and settled on the Delaware river in the vicinity of Bethlehem. Henry is the one through whom this family descend, and of his numerous sons two were Revolutionary soldiers: John, great-uncle of our subject, and Henry, his grandfather. John met with many adventures, and saw as hard service as befell the lot of many of that patriotic few. He was in the battle of Cowpens, Ga; climbed the Heights of Abraham above Quebec with Montgomery and Arnold with their patriotic army; at another time marched barefooted over frozen ground to Washington’s winter quarters at Valley Forge, where he was, during that long and never-to-be-forgotten winter, for days without food, taking the worms from an old decaying horse’s head and roasting and eating them, and declaring at the same time that they were the sweetest morsel he had ever tasted; then he was a prisoner confined on Long Island, and with thirteen companions attempted to escape by swimming to the main-land, a distance of several miles, and it is a noted fact that he was the only one that succeeded in bring off his gun and knapsack safely, as the others were compelled to drop theirs in order to save themselves from drowning. This old hero was also captive to the Indian allies of the enemy, and carried to his grave the marks of their savage cruelty, in the amputation of all the fingers and thumbs at the terminal joint. In making his escape, his first food was a small snake which he dispatched and dried on his hat; next he came on the hut of a lone old Indian whom he hacked to death with a broken hoe which he found outside the hut; then, helping himself to the dried venison, he was soon among the "pale faces" again. After the close of the Revolutionary War he settled in Northumberland county, Pa., where he left many descendants. Of their great-grandfather, Henry, not much is known except that he served his country faithfully in the ranks of Washington’s army. Their grandfather, Peter Strunk, was a soldier of 1812; he had the following-named children: Poly, Jacob, John, Betsie, Henry, Julia Ann, Benjamin and Lucinda. Of these, Jacob was born in Northampton county, Pa., January 5, 1802, and while a boy removed with his parents to Middle Smithfield, Monroe Co., Pa., where he attended school and received a good English education; thenn learned the trade of plasterer and weaver, serving five years apprenticeship at the latter, which he followed many years; in after-life he became a farmer, which vocation he carried on until his death; prior to coming to this county he followed rafting on the Delaware river, and became a pilot on the Susquehanna; he was a natural musician, and for years was fife-major in the militia, and his shrill fife was heard at all training points; he was a man of splendid physique, resolute and amply able to take his own part. He came to this county May 17, 1824, and located at Frenchtown. He was married, in Monroe county, June 17, 1823, prior to coming to this county, to Nellie or Eleanor Biles, daughter of Alexander P. Biles, and who came on before him with her people, but he shortly joined her, and they began housekeeping in Frenchtown; then lived on different farms in the vicinity of Homet’s Ferry, and finally removed to the farm (where Dr. B. T. now lives) where he died March 29, 1881, his wife had passed away May 22, 1878. They had the following-named children: Mary C., born February 5, 1826, died January 18, 1854; Roseanna, born August 18, 1827, died June 16, 1851; Samuel, born May 2, 1829, died November 22, 1830; Solomon, born February 28, a practicing physician residing on the old homestead at Homet’s Ferry, together with his brother, Dr. Benjamin T.; Rebecca, born January 8, 1834, died September 22, 1868; Ziba S., bornn April 19, 1836, (married to Louisa Stiles), farmer and postmaster at Lime Hill; George N., born August 12, 1838, married to Sophia Mills, and is a farmer of Terry township; Chandler B., born July 20, 1840, married to Sarah J. Ricketts, and is a music teacher at Utahville, Pa.; Oscar F., born January 9, 1843, and residing at Meshoppen, and Benjamin T.
Jacob Strung was an extremely modest man, and had no faculty of putting himself ahead in the world; but it has been said of him that he was scrupulously honest and truthful. Although not connected with any church, he was a firm believer in the doctrines of the Baptists (New School), and was a constant reader of the Bible, which was held by him, as was the Deity, in the greatest reverence. He was hospitable, in the fullest sense of the word, and the best he had was none too good for his friends.
Mr. Benjamin T. Strunk was born January 24, 1846, in Wyalusing township, this county, and was educated in the common schools and academies of the county. For ten years he followed teaching in this and Clearfield counties, and then began the study of medicine, and was graduated at the United States Medical College, of New York, March 6, 1883; since when he has been a practicing physician, located in the vicinity of Homet’s Ferry. He has a large and extensive practice, and associated with him is his brother, Dr. Solomon Strunk, a physician of twenty-seven years’ experience, and a fine specialist being remarkably successful in his treatment of all chronic diseases and they have met with well-merited success. Politically, the family are Republicans. Dr. B. T. Strunk was elected coroner of Bradford county in 1887, and was re-elected in 1890. He has a farm of seventy acres, which he oversees. The Doctor is a member of Clausin Lodge, No. 920, P. of I. He is enthusiastic lover of music (a characteristic of the family), and for years has led the choir in his vicinity, as have also other members of the family. In fact, the Strunk family have contributed their full share to the musical interests of their community.
Z. S. STRUNK, farmer, and postmaster at Lime Hill, was born in Wyalusing township, this county, April 19m 1836, was reared on a farm and received the advantages of a common-school and a musical education. When fifteen years of age he began working at the shoemaker’s trade, in which he soon became proficient, and which he followed with unusual success many years, numbering among his customers many from Towanda, Wilkes-Barre, and even points more remote. He opened his first shop on his father’s farm in Wyalusing township, and worked there until 1857; when he removed to Craig’s Meadows, same State, where he was located eight years; then moved to Vaughn Hill, this county, remaining two years, afterward living in Camptown, until 1876, when he gave up his trade and removed to his present fine well-stocked farm on Lime Hill. During a short period he taught common school, and also vocal music most of the time for thirty winters – not consecutively, however – commencing at the age of seventeen and closing at the age of fifty-three. Mr. Strunk was united in marriage, August 12, 1865, with Louisa A., daughter of Moses Stiles, of Monroe county, which union has been blessed with a family of three children: Grenville C., born May 9, 1866, died August 23, 1891; Vesta L., born January 29, 1879, and Mabel C., born September 9, 1880. Mr. Strunk is a member of the Baptist Church; also of the I. O. O. F., Asylum Lodge, No. 488; is a member of and president of Lime Hill Association, P. of I., No. 3305. Politically, he is a stanch Republican, and was appointed postmaster at Lime Hill in 1876, which office he has since held. He has always been dependent upon his own resources, and is a successful business man as well as farmer.
ANDREW J. STUART, of the firm of Stuart & Maxwell, druggists, Troy, was born in Wells township, this county, September 21, 1851, and is a son of Noble J. and Mary (Roberts) Stuart. His father, a native of Connecticut, and a carpenter by trade, settled in Wells township about 1850, and followed his trade in connection with farming in different parts of the county, up to 1860, when he located in Troy, where he has since resided; he was tax collector of Troy, three terms, and is now serving his third term as justice of the peace; his wife was a native of the State of New York, and they have had three children: Zada J. (Mrs. William Bird), Andres J. and Jesse E. The subject of this memoir was reared in Bradford county, and educated at the graded schools and Troy Academy. For seven years he served in the capacity of clerk in the dry-goods business; then was four years in the drug trade, as a member of the firm of Stuart Bros., at Blossburg, Pa., where he learned the business. In 1876 they removed to Troy and purchased the drug business of R. F. Redington, and continued the business eight years, when the firm of Stuart & Maxwell was formed (J. E. Stuart, of Stuart Bros., retiring from the firm at the expiration of the eight years), in which name the business has since successfully continued. Mr. Stuart was married April 19, 1881, to Nellie J., daughter of Robert P. Hagerman, of Springfield township. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, of the I. O. O. F., and in politics is a Republican.
JOHN Q. SULLIVAN, farmer, Ulster, was born June 24, 1837, in Sussex county, N. J., a son of Charles L. and Mary (Myers) Sullivan, the former of whom is a native of Vermont, and the latter of New Jersey. is faH
His father was a blacksmith, emigrating to this county in 1872, settling at Ulster, and had a family of eight children, four of whom are yet alive, John Q., and Mrs. A. A. Kinneur being the only ones residing in this county. Our subject received his education in the schools of Sanderson, New Jersey, and acquired a good common education; he has always been a farmer, and owns a beautiful home in the village of Ulster. He was married, December 24, 1864, to Emerette Smith, a daughter of Henry and Abagail Smith, and to them were born six children, viz.: Charles H., in California; Frank K., now in Minneapolis; Fred L., in Pittsburgh; Mary Dell, at home; Corral Ida died December 10, 1872, and Johnny died April 20, 1881. The family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Sullivan is steward; he is a member of Ulster Lodge, No. 2057, K. of H., is a Republican in politics, and holds the office of school director, and is a member of the board of education of the township.
STEPHEN SULLIVAN, a foreman section No. 11, Lehigh Valley Railroad, Wyalusing, was born in Standing Stone township, this county, December 20, 1862, a son of Michael and Kate (Dorsey) Sullivan, both of whom are living in Wyalusing township, and with whom our subject makes his home. His parents were both born in Ireland, but his father came to this country while a young man, and has been engaged most of time since as foreman on public works. They had a family of four children: Mary, now in the grocery and confectionery business in Wyalusing; Kate; Maggie, married to M. J. Larkin, and residing in Wyalusing borough, and our subject, who passed his boyhood in this county, and attended the common schools. When sixteen years of age he began to work on the railroad during the summers, and attended school during the winter time, for two years; then took charge of a set of men in the Coxeton yards, where he remained a short time; then was made section foreman on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, and has filled that position since. He is a member of the Roman Catholic Church, at Towanda; politically he is Independent.
JOAB SUMMERS (deceased) was born in Northumberland county, Pa., September 1, 1800, and was of English origin. He was originally a weaver by trade, but after his marriage he abandoned that calling and engaged in farming on the farm where his widow and daughter and son-in-law now live, where he resided until March 1, 1887, when he went to his eternal rest. Mr. Summers was married, June 5, 1831, to Miss Sallie Hollon, who was born March 29, 1810, a daughter of Jeremiah and Betsey (Orcutt) Hollon, of Chemung, N. Y., and of New England origin. This happy union was blessed with one son and one daughter: Angeline E., born January 3, 1835, married to Simeon Becker, of Asylum (they are living with Mrs. Summers on the old homestead), and John H., born August 12, 1840, residing in Monroeton (he is engaged in the mercantile business in Roanoke, Va.). The Summers family have been identified with the Methodist Church, and in their political views they have been in close sympathy with the Republican party.
JOHN H. SUMMERS, merchant, Roanoke, Va., with residence in Monroeton, Bradford Co., Pa., was born in Monroe, this county, August 12, 1840, and is a son of Joab and Sallie Summers. He engaged in the mercantile business at Liberty Corners, in 1867, where he remained until 1873, during which time he was postmaster; in 1874 he removed his business to Monroeton, and in 1891 to his present place of business. Our subject enlisted in Company B, Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, and served with such courage and fidelity that he was brevetted captain at the close of the war. Mr. Summers was married, July 1, 1871, to Miss Amelia M., daughter of Edwin and Abagal (Sickler) Benjamin, natives and early settlers of Bradford county. They have three children, viz.: Carl G., born December 14, 1872 (is engaged with his father); Genevieve, born February 12, 1877, and Moss Egie, born April 23, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Summers are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a member of the G.A.R., I. O. O. F., F. & M., K. of H., and is a Republican.
GEORGE SUMNER, retired, P. O. Spring Hill, Tuscarora township, was born in Susquehanna county, Pa., September 1, 1811; was reared on a farm, and educated in the common schools. He is a son of Jabus and Lucy (Thurston) Sumner, the former a native of Massachusetts, the latter of New York, both of New England parentage. Mr. Sumner began life for himself at the age of nineteen; when twenty-two he began farming near Tunkhannock, Pa., remaining there about a year, and then went to Wyalusing, where he followed the same occupation, and in 1867 he removed to his present place in Tuscarora township, where he has since resided. He was married, March 2, 1835, to Miss Lydia, daughter of John and Mary (Place) Bunnell, of Tunkhannock, and the following name children are the fruits of this happy union: Archibald B., John B. (born March 25, 1838, now presiding elder of the Honesdale District, married Alma L., daughter of William Gardner, of Abington Pa.), Benjamin E. (born February 2, 1840; was a member of Company A, One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment P. V. I., and was killed at the battle of Chancellorsville), Savana A. (born August 31, 1842, now Mrs. Harrison Lyon, of Spring Hill), Corington A. (born December 8, 1843, died October 10, 1844), Mary Lucy (born December 25, 1849, now Mrs. Daniel W. Camp, of Lewisville, Pa.), Martha Amanda (deceased; born February 22, 1850, married H. B. Gaylord, a merchant of Wyalusing, Pa.), Elnora I. (born December 29, 1851), Maria Ann (deceased; born November 7, 1853), Armina Irene (born March 3, 1855, married to William Shumway), Ida Sarah (born February 26, 1857, and died May 10, 1862) and George Gilbert (born September 6, 1860, a farmer, of Tuscarora township). The family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Spring Hill; in politics Mr. Sumner is a Republican.
HON. A. B. SUMNER, farmer, Tuscarora township, is the eldest in the family of eight children of George and Lydia (Bunnell) Sumner, the former a native of Pennsylvania, of New England origin, and the latter of German lineage. Our subject was educated in the common schools and the Wyoming Seminary, and began life for himself at the age of twenty-five, farming; also taught school in Wyoming, Luserne and Bradford counties; he removed to Tuscarora, and purchased his present home, in 1861, where he has since been engaged chiefly in farming. He has been secretary of the Tuscarora Farmers’ Mutual Insurance Company since its organization, in 1874, during which time the company has issued over twenty-five hundred policies; in 1890, he was elected a member of the House of Representatives, at Harrisburg, which office he still holds. Mr. Sumner was married, July 3, 1862, to Miss Martha, daughter of John and Martha (Arnot) Irvine, of Asylum, and they have two children, viz.: Gertrude, born June 6, 1863 (now Mrs. Manville Shumway, of Tuscarora), and Florence, born August 24, 1878. Hon. A. B. Sumner has held the office of justice of the peace, and various other offices; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, at Spring Hill, and is an independent Republican in politics.
JESSE SUMNER, farmer, P. O. East Smithfield, was born October 11, 1813, a son of Jesse and Mary (Harkness) Sumner, natives of Halifax, Vt. The father came here in the year 1811, and partly cleared a farm, and returned to his native place for his wife in the spring of 1813, but died before reaching his new home, a few days before his only son, Jesse, was born. The widow soon after married John Bird, and reared a family. Mr. Sumner was reared on the farm with his step-father, and has always followed the occupation of a farmer. The first time his father came here from Vermont, he drove two yoke of oxen all the distance before a sled, and experienced many privations. Mr. Sumner married, November 23, 1841, Louise, daughter of Seba and Eliza (Bird) Gerould, who was born in 1820. Her family trace their ancestry back to the time of the French Huguenots, at the time of the revocation of the Edict of Nantes. To Mr. and Mrs. Sumner were born three children: Elbertine L., born September 21, 1842, wife of L. A. Bosworth, of LeRaysville; Orpheus B., born September 6, 1848, wife of L. A. Blackman, of LeRaysville. Orpheus lives with his father on the farm, which he manages; he has three children, as follows: Louise, born August 6, 1878; Jesse, born August 29, 1882, and Bert, born July 24, 1886. Mr. Sumner has a fine farm of 137 acres, which is in a good state of cultivation. Politically he is a Republican, and has held several offices of public trust, among others that of school director; his son, Orpheus, is also a Republican. Mrs. Sumner departed this life April 21, 1881, mourned by her family and a large circle of friends.
P. H. SUMNER, physician and surgeon, Camptown, was born in Wyalusing township, this county, December 30, 1855, a son of Charles and Agnes (Blocher) Sumner. His father is a prominent farmer of Wyalusing township, and has a family of six children, of whom the Doctor is the eldest. P. H. Sumner, the subject of this sketch, was born and reared on a farm, educated in the common schools of the township and State Normal School; in 1878 he began the study of medicine, reading with Dr. M. F. Terry, of Terrytown, this county; after four years spent in diligent study, he entered, in 1880, the United States Medical College, of New York City, and graduated from there in the spring of 1882. He located in Windham and began the practice of his profession; remaining there two years, he then removed to Bozeman, Mont., remaining two years; then returned to Camptown, where he has since resided. He has an extensive practice, and, as a successful physician, his reputation is excelled by no one in the county. Dr. Sumner was united in marriage, June 18, 1882, with Lottie Jagger, daughter of Daniel Jagger, a prominent farmer of Wyalusing township, and to them has been born one child, Daniel J., born July 10, 1883. Dr. Sumner is a prominent member of the I. O. O. F., Wyalusing Lodge No. 503; at present he fills the chair of conductor; politically he is a Republican, and is an active worker for his party’s interests.
LUTHER SWARTWOOD, farmer, P. O. Bentley Creek, was born in Monroe county, Pa., December 11, 1850, a son of O. P. and Mary (Bunnell) Swartwood, the former of whom was born in Pike county, Pa., the latter in Monroe county, same State; in 1860 they removed from Monroe county to Chemung county, N. Y., where they lived twenty-one years; then came to South Creek township, where they now reside. O. P. Swartwood has two sons, Luther and Frank, both of whom are married; they (the sons) purchased the property on which Luther now resides, in South Creek township, known as the Chamberlain and Spencer farms, the former of which contains fifty-eight acres and the latter 114, and his property they have improved since they bought it. At the age of twenty-six Luther Swartwood married, in Ridgebury, in 1876, Kate, daughter of John Miller, by which marriage there are three children: Ralph, Jay and Anna. Mr. Swartwood is an enterprising farmer, raises a general crop, but confines himself more especially to butter making, and his stock is of fine grade. He is a member of the Grange.
ALDEN SWAYZE, general merchant, Columbia Cross Roads, was born in Wells township, this county, April 3, 1862, and is a son of Alden and Caroline (Gifford) Swayze, the former a native of Sussex county, N. J., born September 23, 1823, a son of Obadiah and Elizabeth (Beamer) Swayze. Alden Swayze, Sr., was reared in New Jersey, and settled in Bradford county in 1840, locating in Wells township, where he worked at the cooper’s trade until 1874; was also engaged in farming there until January 1, 1891, when he removed to Columbia township; his wife was a daughter of Jeremiah and Eliza (King) Gifford, pioneers of Wysox township, this county, and formerly of the State of New York, and by her he had five children: H. Franklin, Schuyler, Elvie E. (Mrs. Frank Knapp), Hettie M. (Mrs. Thomas Taber) and Alden Jr. Our subject was reared in Wells township, and educated in common schools and Oberlin College, and after attaining his majority engaged in farming until 1888, in Wells township. He then located at Columbia Cross Roads, and embarked in general merchandising, in which he still successfully continues. On October 19, 1887, he married Jessie M., daughter of Richard M. and Jane (Gustin) Howland, of Columbia township, and has two children: Bessie C. and Lillian. Mr. Swayze is a popular merchant, a member of the Presbyterian Church, of the I. O. O. F., and politically he is a Republican.
DALLAS J. SWEET, a leading citizen of Towanda, was born in Monroe township, this county, November 3, 1843, and is a son of Freeman and Nancy (Ridgeway) Sweet. His paternal grandfather was Elezar Sweet, a native of Connecticut, who settled in Albany, this county, in 1812; later removed to Monroe township, where he cleared and improved a farm, on which he resided until his death, which occurred in 186, when he was aged eighty-eight. His wife was Amy Wilcox, by whom he had eight children, as follows: Freeman, Lavina (Mrs. Ezra Kellogg), Jemima (Mrs. Lemuel Streeter), Rosenna (Mrs. – Cole), Jane (Mrs. George Irvin), Elizabeth (Mrs. Lyman Hollam), Hiram and Ransom. Of these, Freeman, father of Dallas J., was a farmer and lumberman for many years, and is now living a retired life in Monroeton. He reared a family of eight children, viz.: Edwin, Charles, Hiram, Dallas J., Ulysses, Emma, J. Theron and Ella. Dallas J. was reared in Monroe township, received a common-school education, and in his nineteenth year entered the Union Army, enlisting August 7, 1862, in Company C, One Hundred and Forty- first P. V. I. and participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Mine Run, Wilderness, Spottslvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Hatcher’s Run, Sailor’s Creek, and witnessed the surrender of Lee at Appomattox. He was honorably discharged, May 29, 1865. After his return home he engaged in farming for three years, and then embarked in mercantile business at Monroeton, in which he continued alone until January 1, 1885. Mr. B. F. Myer then became associated with him for one year, and in 1886 his brother Theron purchased Mr. Myer’s interest, since which time the business has been under the firm name of Sweet & Co. In 1884 Mr. Sweet was elected sheriff of Bradford county, for a term of three years. He has been a resident of Towanda since January 1, 1885, and in 1888 embarked in the lumber business, in which he still engages. He was married, August 18, 1870, to Ella, daughter of Henry and Sarah (Yung) Myer, of Monroeton, and has one daughter living, Lucy. Mr. and Mrs. Sweet are members of the Presbyterian Church; he is a member of the G. A. R., and in politics is a stanch Republican.
JAMES THERON SWEET, merchant, Monroeton, was born in Monroe township, this county, May 23, 1854, and is a son of Freeman and Nancy J. (Ridgeway) Sweet, natives of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively, and of English origin. In his father’s family there were eight children, of whom our subject is the seventh. He went West and started in life for himself at twenty-one years of age, and worked at various occupations five years; then took charge of his father’s farm on the South branch for four years, after which he engaged in mer