Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
History of Bradford County by Bradsby
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Return to Bradsby Table of Contents
Contact Joyce
Postcard from Joyce's Collection
Retyped by Janice Walker

History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches

By H. C. Bradsby, 1891

Biographical Sketches pp. 1175-1184
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just this Bradsby book by using the Bradsby button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
was born in Paterson, N. J., in July, 1851). To them were born seven children, viz.: Henry C., Frank E., Joseph (deceased), Charles, Lucy, Mable and William. Mr. Smith is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and votes the Republican ticket.

GEORGE G. SMITH, farmer, of Windham township, P. O. Windham Centre. This gentleman has worked his way slowly but surely from the very first round in life’s ladder, and is surrounded with a large and influential family and a sufficient competence of this world’s goods. He was born in Parry, New York, January 2, 1820, and is a son of Robert and Katie (Shaw) Smith, natives of the same State, and of remote German origin. The father, who was a farmer, departed this life in December, 1826, and the mother in August, 1827; their children were three in number, George G. being the second in order of birth. He had but limited school advantages up to the age of twelve, when he came to Windham township, Bradford Co., Pa., where he worked on a farm five years, and then went to Athens, where he learned milling, and remained two years; then tended mill in Windham, three years; then bought a farm on which he staid two years; when he sold and commenced milling again, tending Russell’s Mill two years; then moved to Susquehanna county and tended mill three years, at the end of which time he bought the place where he now lives, resumed agricultural pursuits, and now is the owner of a fine farm of 150 acres, having divided his land with his children, giving them the same amount as he retained for himself. Mr. Smith was married in Windham to Annie Webster, daughter of Joseph Webster, and she bore him children, as follows: Robert, Joseph W., Jasper, Elenor (wife of Abel Bordman), Achsa W. (who married Samuel Harding, died in 1882), George and Annie (wife of Edward Jakeway). The mother of these children dying, Mr. Smith, married, in 1881, at Rock Creek, Ill., Mrs. Ruth E. Ellsworth, of whom the following is a brief record:

Mrs. George Smith (whose maiden name was Miss Ruth Crandall) was born February 22, 1821, in the town of Windham. Her father, Daniel Crandall, a resident of Greenwich, Washington Co., N. Y., removed to Windham in or about the year 1816. He was one of the pioneer settlers of the town, and carved out a home from the heavily timbered forest of that day. What was known as the “cold summer” came the year following his settlement in Windham. The frost continued during the summer, and all the crops were ruined. Great suffering followed, and it was with great difficulty that food was procured in sufficient quantity to sustain life. Mr. Crandall was a successful farmer and cleared a large tract of land. His useful life was cut short by a sad accident. While engaged with a large company of neighbors in assisting a sick friend, he was killed by the fall of a tree. Ruth Crandall was the youngest of eight children, and is the only survivor. At the age of twenty years she was married to Mr. Charles Ellsworth, of Orwell, Pa., with whom she lived thirty-three years, or until his death in 1874. To them were born five children: M. L. Ellsworth, a war veteran, at present engaged in business in Wahoo, Neb.; P. F. Ellsworth, a farmer, living in Windham Centre; Fronia Ellsworth, married to Mr. H. J. Lee, one of the leading business men of Nebraska; J. S. Ellsworth, educated at Lafayette College and Union Theological Seminary, and at present pastor of the Congregational Church, Newark Valley, N. Y.; Mira Ellsworth, married to L. E. Chubbuck, of Orwell, now a successful business man of West Point, Neb. The children are all married and settled. Mrs. Smith lived a widow eight years, and was re-married at sixty, Mr. Smith being sixty-one. The family are of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Smith is a Freemason, and has passed all the chairs of his lodge. Politically he votes the Republican ticket, and has held the office of road commissioner.

G. S. SMITH, one of the prominent business men of Towanda, was born in Orange county, N. Y., October 12, 1830, and is a son of Ira and Sally (Crawford) Smith, whose nativity was the same, and who were of remote Irish descent, and farmers by occupation. The father died in 1879, and the mother in 1880; they were intelligent and well-to-do people, who during life drew about them a wide circle of acquaintances and friends, and reared a family of ten children that were greatly respected, and of whom our subject is the fourth in order of birth. The son was with his parents until aged eighteen, and had been given a fair education, when he was apprenticed to the carpenter’s trade, which he followed several years. In 1867, soon after the close of the war, he removed to Towanda, and soon thereafter organized his present bottling works, commencing originally in a most limited way, but has built the business to its present enlarged proportions. He was married at Patterson, N.Y., October 1, 1854, to Miss Julia Decker, a daughter of Halsey Decker, of German descent, and to them were born children, as follows: Jennie M. (Mrs. I. P. Spalding), and C. Irvin, the latter of whom is employed with his father in their factory. He was born in Orange county, N. Y., February 14, 1856, and came to this county with his parents when young. He was educated in the higher branches in Towanda Collegiate Institute, and for some time thereafter acted as traveling salesman. He married Anna E. Smith (families entirely distinct), daughter of Stephen W. Smith, of English descent. In this case the father and son are Democrats, members of the I. O. O. F., and the son is an active member of the Towanda Fire Company, and has served as foreman of Hose Company No. 2. The entire family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

J. H. SMITH, farmer, Wyalusing township, P. O. Wyalusing, was born in Sussex county, N. J., January 30, 1835, a son of Frederick and Catherine (Probasco) Smith. The father was a native of Bucks county, Pa., and the mother of Holland; the father is still living in his ninety-first year, is a farmer and lived many years near Scranton; the mother died in 1885, aged eighty. J. H. Smith, the subject of this sketch, was reared on his father’s farm, and after receiving a common-school education engaged in farming. He enlisted, August 15, 1862, in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-third P. V. I., and served until June 12, 1865, when he was discharged with his regiment; during his military career he participated in the following engagements: Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spottsylvania, South Anna, Poe River, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, Poplar Grove Church and numerous minor engagements; was twice in the hospital for sickness, caused by exposure and fatigue. He came to Wyalusing in the fall of 1865, and for a few months drove the stage from Wyalusing to Towanda; then resumed farming and followed that many years. He was united in marriage, April 15, 1866, with Eliza B., daughter of Samuel and Mary Ann (Overpack) Smith. Her first husband, A. L. Smith, was brother of J. H. Smith, and was killed April 9, 1865, while marching to Appomattox; he was a member of Company B, One Hundred and Ninety-ninth P. V. I. Her father, who is a farmer, still resides in Herrick township, now aged eighty-two years. By her first marriage there was born one child, E. W., who married Esther Conklyn; he is a locomotive fireman in the employ of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, and resides in Sayre; her second marriage has been blessed with four children; Andrew W., Charlie (deceased), Genevieve (deceased), and Georgie May. The family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church of Wyalusing; Mr. Smith is a charter member of Jackson Post, No. 74; G. A. R., and has filled all the offices except commander; in politics he is identified with the Republican party, but has never been an office seeker.

JOHN M. SMITH, farmer and stock-grower, Sheshequin, a native of the county, was born February 22, 1837, a son of Isaac and Permilla (Horton) Smith. When our subject was but two years old his father died, and he made his home with his grandfather, John M. Smith, in the vicinity of Hornbrook. After his father’s death his mother married William Tuttle, is a second time a widow, and resides in Litchfield. When twenty-one years old John M. began farming for himself, on the farm of his grandfather. He enlisted, September 19, 1862, in Company D, Seventeenth Regiment Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served under “Gallant Phil” during his entire time, and was discharged at Point Lookout, May 14, 1865, on account of disability from a wound received while on skirmish duty. He participated in the battles of Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Manassas, Winchester, the raid down the Shenandoah Valley, Fair Oaks, etc. May 12, 1864, at the skirmish before the battle of Meadow Bridge, he was dismounted and fighting as infantry, when he received a severe wound from a minie-ball, which struck him in the upper arm close to the shoulder, and ranged downward, shattering the bone and lodging above the elbow joint, where it was cut out four days after; but as the bone was shattered to the shoulder joint amputation was impossible. He was in Point Lookout Hospital three months, without hope of recovery. When his wife learned of his condition, she reached him and secured a furlough for him, and by assiduous care rendered his condition such as to enable her to bring him home, and nursed him through long months of suffering. His furlough was renewed nine times before he could again join his regiment, which he did in the spring of 1865, and served about three months, when he was discharged. The wound has never healed, and he now draws a pension, and feels that his life is due to the heroic devotion of his wife. He purchased, in 1884, the farm he now occupies, which contains twenty-five acres of bottom-land, and is well improved. He was married, January 1, 1861, to Sarah, daughter of Benjamin and Christina (Beadle) Shields, natives of New York; she was born in Otsego county, N. Y., and came to this country with her parents about 1860, and located at Hornbrook, where her parents died. They had a family of ten children, all of whom are living, and of whom she is the eighth. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have one child, Dellie, who married Isaac Collins, foreman of one of the departments of the Athens Bridge Works. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; and Mr. Smith is a member of Perkins Post, G. A. R.; also a member of the Union Veteran Legion,

Encampment No. 28, Athens; politically he is a Republican.

LESTER S. SMITH, farmer, of Tuscarora township, P. O. Laceyville, Wyoming county, was born on his present place, January 20, 1853, and is a son of George W. and Polly A. (Wood) Smith, natives of Pennsylvania, and of New England origin. In his father’s family were six children: Sheperd (deceased), George (a merchant of Laceyville), Sarah E. (deceased), Fred E. (deceased), Emma A. (married to William Overton, a farmer in Nebraska) and Lester S. The subject of these lines began life for himself, farming, at eighteen, on his present place, which contains about 100 acres of the best farming land in Bradford county, and upon which he has recently erected the finest residence in Tuscarora township. He was married, December 9, 1877, to Miss Eva M., daughter of David H. and Anna (Lacey) Rugg, natives of Pennsylvania, and residents of Tuscarora township. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have two children: Lloyd, born September 28, 1878, and Florence, born January 3, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the Baptist Church at Laceyville, of which he is deacon, and in politics he is a pronounced Republican.

P. A. SMITH, merchant, Camptown, is the junior member of the firm of Smith Brothers, general merchants, of Camptown. He was born at Skinner’s Eddy, Wyoming Co., Pa., May 20, 1859, receiving the benefits of a common-school education, and at the age of fifteen entered the employ of T. B. Vosburg as a clerk in a general store at Skinner’s Eddy, where he remained until 1878, when he removed to Camptown, and entered the store of C. S. Lafferty, a merchant of that place, and remained with him until 1880, when he and his brother, C. C. Smith, purchased the business of Mr. Lafferty, which they have enlarged and increased, and still conduct, as is noted in his brother’s sketch. He was united in marriage, May 16, 1883, with Lettie J. Fuller, and their union has been blessed with three children: Adah Lenora (born May 29, 1884); Leon A. (born February 25, 1888), and Guy (born January 31, 1889). Mr. Smith is a member of the Baptist Church, and fills the positions of deacon, clerk and trustee of the same; he is a member of the Wyalusing Lodge, No. 503, I. O. O. F.; politically he has cast his lot with the Prohibition party.

P. J. SMITH, D. D. S., Towanda, one of the prominent professional men of the borough, was born July 3, 1851, a son of James and Diana (Shores) Smith, Pennsylvanians, and of ancient English descent. The father was a carpenter and farmer, spent the most of his useful life in Sheshequin township, and reared a respectable family of three sons and four daughters, who spent their happy childhood on their parents’ farm. Dr. Smith was a student in the Towanda Collegiate Institute, taking a classical course and acquiring a thorough knowledge of civil engineering; from his literary school he entered the Pennsylvania University, and was graduated in dental surgery in 1879; in the meantime had taken a two years’ course in physic and surgery. He opened his dental office in 1880, and in 1885 removed to his present office, where he has had unusual success in building up a large and lucrative practice. He was married, in 1885, to Kate, daughter of Adolphus and Jennie (Catlin) Saxton, a family of English origin, and to them has been born one child, Miles C. Smith. Mrs. Smith is a leading and exemplary member of the Disciple Church. Dr. Smith is a Mason and a Republican. The family are much esteemed in the social circles of the borough and vicinity.

WILLIAM H. SMITH, senior member of the firm of Smith Bros. & Turner, furniture dealers and undertakers, Towanda, was born in Leavenworth, Ind., December 30, 1839, and is a son of John B. and Lucinda (Horton) Smith. His paternal grandfather, John M. Smith, was a son of Jesse Smith, a native of Connecticut, who was among the pioneers of Wysox township, this county, where he cleared and improved a farm, on which he died. John M. smith, his paternal grandfather, was a life-long resident of Sheshequin township, a farmer by occupation, and died there. He reared a family of eleven children, of whom John B. was the third child and the third son. John B. was born, reared and married in Sheshequin township, and, with the exception of two years that he lived in Indiana, his life was spent in Bradford county; he died in North Towanda township, in September, 1882; his wife, Lucinda, was a daughter of Elijah Horton, a pioneer of Sheshequin township, and by her had six children, viz.: Clark, Rachel (Mrs. G. L. Fuller), William H., Melissa (Mrs. George W. Horton), Alvah C. and Orris (Mrs. Leslie Mills). William H. Smith, the subject of the sketch, was reared in Bradford county, educated in the common schools, and, on reaching his majority, engaged in farming in Wysox township, until 1870, when he removed to North Towanda, and commenced farming and dairying, in which he is still interested. In 1886 he embarked in the furniture and undertaking business, in Towanda, with his brother, Alvah C., and John C. Turner, and they have built up a successful trade. Mr. Smith married, in April, 1866, Eunice L., daughter of Lewis and Jemima (Shores) Gillett, of Sheshequin township, and has two daughters, Mildred and Myra B. Mr. Smith is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the I. O. O. F., and State Grange; he is serving his first term as member of the Towanda council, and is a Republican in Politics.

W. A. and D. SMITH, merchants, Wilawana, were born in Ridgebury, this county, W. A., October 19, 1861, and M. D. September 10, 1863. They are the sons of W. H. and Amy J. (Lefter) Smith, the former of whom was born in Genesee county, N. Y., the latter in Ridgebury, Pa. W. H. Smith is the son of Henry Smith, who removed to this county about 1840, located in Ridgebury, where he died in 1881, at the age of seventy-six years. W. H. has lived near the old homestead and confined himself to farming in general; his family consists of five sons, all living. The subjects of this memoir, who are the first and second in order of birth in the family, were reared and educated at Ridgebury. W. A. attended the High School at Waverly, where he graduated with honor’ afterward taught school several terms, commencing when he was seventeen years of age. In April, 1888, the two brothers commenced business in Wilawana under the firm name of Smith Brothers, carrying a full line of groceries, provisions, drugs, farming machinery etc.; they are also commission merchants, doing a large business in the shipment of butter, grain, hay, coal, etc. Last year their trade accumulated to $13,000. W. A. Smith married, in Elmira, in March, 1888, Miss Carrie, daughter of Edward and Elizabeth Cain. M. D. married June 24, 1891, Miss Clara, daughter of Charles Thomas, at Wellsburg, N. Y. Mrs. W. A. Smith is postmistress, the office being in her husband’s store, and this is her third year.

AUGUSTUS E. SNEDEKER, of Snedeker & Mitchell, lumber manufacturers, Troy, was born in Canastota, N. Y., November 11, 1846, and is a son of William H. and Eliza (Gray) Snedeker. The father, who was a native of Dutchess county, N. Y., settled in Columbia township in 1865, where he has since been engaged in an extensive lumber business; was for many years engaged in general merchandising, and owns a large tract of land; his children were seven in number: Carrie (Mrs. Jerry Ryan), Cora (Mrs. Charles Mitchell), Jessie (Mrs. Sam Thompson), William Henry, Freddie, Jennie and Augustus E. Our subject, who was reared in the State of New York, came to Columbia township in 1865 with his parents, and assisted his father in business up to 1886, when he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law, C. W. Mitchell, in the manufacture of lumber in Troy township, in which he has since successfully continued; they turn out 1, 500,000 feet of lumber annually, and give employment to twenty hands; besides their mill at Troy they operate portable mills in different parts of the county. Mr. Snedeker married, June 6, 1890, Julia, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Grimes, of Troy, and they have one son: John Edward. Mr. Snedeker is an enterprising citizen, and his business is one of the leading industries of Troy township. Politically he is a Republican.

WILLIAM SNYDER, farmer and stock-grower, Sheshequin, was born November 24, 1826, in the house he occupies, a son of William and Hannah (Parks) Snyder, the former of whom was born in New Jersey, of Dutch descent, and the latter was a native of Connecticut, of English origin. His grandfather, Peter Snyder, came from New Jersey and settled in Sheshequin about the year 1789, one of the earliest settlers of the valley, on a farm, and opened a tanyard, and made saddles and harness, and had a shoe shop at the same time, also a still; he was a well-to-do farmer; the grandson still preserves some of the Continental currency he brought with him. Peter Snyder was twice married, and he left the following children by his first wife: Maria, Jacob and Mary; by his second marriage: William, Peter, Elizabeth, Catherine, Nancy, John and Benjamin P. Of this family William was born January 19, 1783, and at the age of fourteen commenced work in father’s shop and tanyard, learning the whole business, and bought the yards of his father before he was twenty-one years old. He resided alone for several years, keeping “bach”, then married and commenced housekeeping in the house occupied by him prior to his marriage, and continued at that place eight years, and then bought the farm William now occupies. It was improved and owned by Harry and William Spalding. He moved his business to that farm, opened a hotel, and had quite a village around him, but it was destroyed by fire long since; only the farm buildings are left. He gave up all of his business (with the exception of farming) to his son-in-law, and continued farming up to the last year of his life; he died October 12, 1860, aged seventy-seven, leaving a family of nine children - three boys and six girls; William is the eighth child; John P. enlisted in the army and was killed near Orange Grove Court House, Va., a member of the One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment, P. V. I.; P. W. is a farmer in Litchfield township; of the girls, Polly married Harry Shaw; Sally married Nathaniel Moody; Julia married Charles Forbes; Miranda married George Northrup; Emiline married L. D. Tyrrell; Eliza married F. G. VanNorstran. William Snyder spent his boyhood on his father’s farm, attending the common school until fifteen years old. He has operated largely in lumber, stock and real estate, and has been eminently successful as a business man, and now owns 260 acres of finely improved land, cultivating it well and breeding graded cattle and horses. He was married October 25, 1854, to Laura M., daughter of Manson and Elmira (Mackey) Elsbree, and they have two children: William M. and Burton E., the former married to Jennie Minier. Mr. Snyder is a member of I. O. O. F., Valley Lodge, No. 446, has passed all the chairs, and holds withdrawal card from the State Encampment, Towanda; he has been a stanch Republican since the organization of that party, and has held nearly all the township offices; was justice of the peace twenty-five years.

WILLIAM SNYDER, farmer and dairyman, P. O. Spring Hill, who is among the prominent farmers and business men of the county, was born in Broome county, N. Y., August 14, 1843, a son of N. D. and Elizabeth (Richard) Snyder, the former of whom was born in Schoharie county, N. Y., and was a farmer, afterward a hotel-keeper four years; he was proprietor of the hotel at LeRaysville, also a hotel in Rush, Pa., twenty-eight years, where he died, July 10, 1877, aged sixty-six years; his family consisted on nine children, viz.: George, who resides in Owego, N. Y.; A. V., Peter, David and Margaret (all deceased; three died the same week of scarlet fever); William; Catherine (married to Isaac Hare, of Rush, Pa.); Ellen (married to George Hissis, of Rush) and David (a farmer of Middletown, Pa.). The subject of these lines received a common-school education, and at the age of twenty-two began business for himself, taking up farming and purchasing 100 acres of the farm he now owns, to which he has since added 100 acres, making in all a tract of 200 acres of well-improved and fertile land. About ten years ago he began extensive dairy operations, using graded and thorough-bred Jerseys: he now has a dairy of thirty cows, and ships the cream and milk from his own and several of his neighbors’ dairies to Philadelphia. He was united in marriage, August 21, 1864, with Phoebe Angel, a daughter of John B. Angel, of New York, and this union has been blessed with a family of six children, viz.: N. D., married to Leila V. Goodell, and resides on his father’s farm; Ida (deceased); Georgie E., Cora, M. B. and Alice. He is a member of the P. of I., Spring Hill Association; is a member and director of the Tuscarora Insurance Company. Politically he is a Democrat and has filled the various town offices. Besides his farming and dairy operations he has been an extensive dealer in stock, also in farm implements and machinery, and has always been successful.

COLLINS W. SOPER, farmer, P. O. Rutland, Tioga Co., Pa., was born, February 2, 1818, in Columbia township, this county, on the farm where he now resides, and is a son of Solomon and Polly (Corey) Soper, formerly of Manchester, Vt., who settled in Columbia township in 1800, locating on the farm occupied by subject, which the father cleared and improved, and there died; he for some years, in the pioneer days, operated a gristmill on the farm; his wife was a daughter of Jonathan Corey, a soldier of the Revolution, who settled in Rutland township, Tioga county, in 1800, and by her he had seven children, as follows: Harriet (Mrs. Naham Havens), Heman (the first white child born in Columbia township), Harris C., Thomas, William, Collins W. and George. Collins W. Soper was reared on the old homestead, on which he has always resided, and was married, in 1840, to Diadama, daughter of Alexander and Saloma (Daggett) Harris, by whom he has six children: Elwyn, Walter, Ward, Edith (Mrs. Thomas Walker), Edson L. and Charles M. Mr. Soper is one of the prominent and representative farmers of Columbia township, and, with his sons, owns over eight hundred acres of land in Columbia and Rutland townships. He gave each of his sons a fine farm, and erected substantial houses for all but one. In 1878, he had his right arm taken off in his sawmill. though in his seventy-fourth year, he is hale and hearty. In politics he is a stanch Democrat.

WALTER S. SOPER, farmer, P. O. Rutland, Tioga Co., Pa., was born in Columbia township, this county, September 13, 1839, and is a son of Collins W. and Diadama (Harris) Soper. His paternal grandparents were Solomon and Polly (Corey) Soper, who settled in Columbia township in 1800. His maternal grandparents were Alexander and Saloma (Daggett) Harris, both pioneers of Rutland township, Tioga Co., Pa. The subject of these lines was reared in Columbia township, was educated in the common schools, and since attaining his majority has been engaged in farming. He resides on the farm in Rutland, formerly occupied by an uncle, Thomas Soper, who cleared and improved it. Our subject set out maples and elms for a mile on each side of the road, which have now grown large enough to give a splendid shade, as well as beautifying the property, which is all in the possession of members of the Soper family. Mrs. Soper was married April 12, 1876, to Fannie, daughter of Christopher and Achsah Walker, the former of whom was a native of England, and a pioneer lumberman of Warren county, Pa. This union was blessed with five children, as follows: Roy, Rexford, Ethel, Metta and Rollin. The family are believers in the Baptist faith. Mr. Soper is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and in politics he is a Democrat.

ISAAC D. SOPER, farmer, in Burlington township, P. O. Burlington, was born September 3, 1823, in Burlington, this county, a son of David and Polly (Luther) Soper, the former of whom was a native of Connecticut, of English origin. He was a man of influence, and one of the first justices of the peace, in which office he continued twenty-five years. The grandfather, Levi Soper, who was an Englishman, was in the War of 1812, and one of the first settlers in the town of Burlington. Polly Soper was a sister of Enoch Luther, who was also one of the pioneers of Burlington township; both families cleared large farms from the dense wilderness, and experienced all the privations of a pioneer life. Isaac D. Soper was reared on the farm and engaged in agricultural pursuits, at which he has continued, and is now the owner of a fine farm of one hundred acres under a good state of cultivation. He was married, in 1855, to Charlotte Stuart, of Michigan, by whom he has the following named twelve children: Roena, Ella, Clara, Horatio H., Isaac N., Cloe, Nettie, Minnie, Lottie, Edith, Dean and Stuart. Mr. Soper was a soldier in the Civil War, in Company B, Two Hundred and Seventh P. V. I., and was in the battles of Petersburg and Fort Steadman, and in several minor engagements; served until the close of the war, being present at the surrender of Lee’s army; contracted disease from exposure, and is now a pensioner. He is a member of the G. A. R. and of the I. O. O. F. In politics he is a Republican, and has held several offices of public trust.

JOHN E. SOPER, blacksmith, Ulster, was born in North Towanda, this county, December 6, 1864, and is a son of Edward O. and Jane E. (Bailey) Soper, natives of this State, of English descent. In his father’s family there were ten children, he being the fourth in order of birth; six of the ten are living, and are in this county. the father was a farmer, and John E. was reared on the farm, attending school until fifteen years old, and receiving a fair education. He learned his trade at Burlington, and commenced for himself there in 1888; was there two years, when he removed to his present place; he is a skillful mechanic and has a large business. He was married, December 24, 1889, to Mary E., daughter of John and Charlotte M. Sims, natives of this county. Mr. Soper is a member of the Golden Cycle, and has filled the chair of vice-speaker; in politics he is a Republican.

CHESTER P. SPALDING, superintendent Towanda Gas Works, was born in Athens, this county, October 12, 1818, and is a son of Robert and Aurelia (Satterlee) Spalding, and of the eighth generation of Edward Spalding, who came from England to America about 1632, and settled in Massachusetts. His paternal grandfather was William Miter Spalding, who settled in Sheshequin, this county, in 1788, and afterward resided in Athens and Sheshequin. He married, August 23, 1789, Rebecca, daughter of Gen. Simon and Ruth (Shepherd) Spalding, who settled in Sheshequin, this county, in 1783; the issue of this union were ten children, of whom Robert, father of subject, was the first child and eldest son, and was born July 1, 1790, and was a resident of Athens township many years. He engaged in farming and lumbering, and in 1840 removed to Wysox township, where he continued in the same business until his death, and where, for a short time, he was also engaged in general business. He was the father of eleven children, viz.: Cynthia A. (Mrs. F. A. Tyler), Alex H., Chester P., Rebecca (Mrs. S. P. Gore), Lemira K. (Mrs. M. J. Coolbaugh), Israel P., Aurelia (Mrs. Jerry M. Collins), Mary P. (Mrs. C. S. Russell), George, Robert M. and Helen M. (Mrs. William Elwell, Jr.). Chester P., the subject of the sketch, was reared in Athens, where he received an academical education. He removed to Wysox township with his father in 1840, where he assisted for a time, and afterward engaged in farming until 1851. In the spring of 1852 he located in Rockford, Ill., and remained there until the spring of 1869, when he returned to Bradford county, locating in Towanda, where he superintended the building of the Towanda Gas Works, and has since been the superintendent of the company. On October 20, 1842, he married Mary, daughter of Allen and Mary (Kingsbury) Smith, of Bath, N. Y., by whom he had three children as follows: Florence, Henry. and Rowena K. He is an attendant of the Universalist Church, and politically is a Republican.

HORACE M. SPALDING, produce, coal and plaster dealer, Troy, was born in Canton township, this county, October 7, 1840, a son of Andrew E. and Cynthia S. (Holcomb) Spalding, and is a descendant of Edward Spalding, who emigrated from England to America, in 1832, and settled in Massachusetts. His paternal grandfather, William P. Spalding, a native of New England, was a pioneer of Canton township, and cleared and improved the farm now known as the “John Brown Farm,” and resided near there until his death in 1877; his wife was Eleanor Watts, by whom he had six children: John, Andrew E., Ezra, James, Elizabeth (Mrs. Loren Morse) and Jane (Mrs. Richard Hughes), all born in Canton township, Andrew E., in 1811. After reaching manhood Andrew E. Spalding engaged in the hotel business, in which he continued to his death, September 12, 1857, when he dropped dead in his hotel, the “Canton House,” at Canton, P.; his wife was a daughter of Sterling Holcomb, of LeRoy township, this county, and by her had five children: John M., William S., Horace M., Charles E. and Jennie (Mrs. U. J. Manley). Our subject was reared in Canton township, and in early life engaged in farming. In 1872 he located in Troy, where he engaged in the dray business eight years; became a member, in 1879, of the firm of Beardsley & Spalding, hardware merchants, Troy, which style continued until 1884, then from 1884 to 1890 as Beardsley, Spalding & McKean, when he retired, and has since been engaged as a buyer and shipper of produce, coal and plaster. Mr. Spalding married, May 19, 1864, Lovina, daughter of Dr. S. W. and Amanda (Bailey) Shepard, of Troy, and they have four children: Cora A., S. Hillis, Andrew E. and Fred L. Mr. Spalding is a member of the Disciple Church and I. O. O. F.; has always taken an active part in public affairs, was burgess of Troy one term, and councilman eight years; in politics he is a Republican.

MAJOR ISRAEL P. SPALDING’S first ancestor in America was Edward Spalding, who came from England about 1630-33, and settled

Joyce Tip Box -- December 2007 -
If you are not navigating this Tri-Counties Site via the left and right sidebars of the Current What's New page you are doing yourself a disservice. You can get to any place on the site easily by making yourself familiar with these subject and place topics. Try them all to be as familiar with the site's 16,000 plus pages as you can. Stop groping in the dark and take the lighted path. That's also the only way you'll find the search engines for the site or have access to the necessary messages I may leave for you. Make it easy on yourself.