History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
SAMUEL WHITE POMEROY, of the firm of Pomeroy Bros., bankers, Troy, was born in Troy, this county, December 8, 1821, a son of Col. Isaac N. and Anna (Kingsbury) Pomeroy, and can trace his ancestry to the time of William the Conqueror. His father, a native of Coventry, Conn., was born March 28, 1791, and was a son of Eleazer and Priscilla (Kingsbury) Pomeroy. Edeazer was a son of Daniel and Naomi (Kibbs) Pomeroy; Daniel was a son of Noah and Elizabeth (Sterling) Pomeroy; Noah was a son of Joseph, a son of Eltweed Pomeroy, who came from England to America in 1630, settling in Dorchester, Mass., and later in Windsor, Conn. Isaac N. Pomeroy received a good education which laid the foundation of his future successful business career; he spent some years in Genoa, Cayuga Co., N.Y., and in 1818 settled in Troy, Pa., and at once engaged in the manufacture of cloth, which he followed successfully for ten years; he then purchased a farm near Troy, upon which he lived ten years, when he bought the "Eagle Hotel", at Troy, which he rebuilt, and was its successful proprietor for nearly twenty years. About this time he built the residence, adjoining the bank, in company with his son Horace; he was interested largely in village property, imparting, by means of his excellent business talents and liberality, a stimulus to Troy that will long be gratefully remembered: he was extensively engaged for many years with staging and bridge building, being considered one of the most courteous and genial of employers. He took an active part in military affairs, and was elected colonel of a militia regiment, his affability and fine military bearing making him one of the most popular officers of the regiment. He was married three times: his first wife was Anna O. Kingsbury, to whom he was married December 8, 1813, and the issue of this union was seven children: Sybil K., Daniel F., Eleazer, Horace, Samuel W., Laura A., and Charlotte Eliza (Mrs. Charles C. Paine); his second wife was Maria A. Merrick, whom he married March 17, 1832, and by her had two children: Newton M. and Anna M.; by this third wife, Lucinda W. Merrick, whom he married October 9, 1839, he had three children: Solyman, Henrietta B. (Mrs. George B. Davidson) and George H. Few men have left the impress of their lives and characters upon the community where they resided more forcibly and indelibly than Col Pomeroy, or have been more just in their business transactions. He died May 30, 1861 in his seventy-first year.
Samuel W. Pomeroy, the subject of this sketch, was the fifth child and fourth son, was reared in his native town, received an academical education, and began life as a clerk in a dry-goods store in Owego, N.Y., when twenty-one years of age. He embarked in the general merchandise business in Troy, Pa., as a member of the firm of Pomeroy & Redington, and from 1844 up to 1860 as S. W. & D. F. Pomeroy & Co.; he then engaged in the banking business with his brothers, Daniel F. and Horace, under the name of Pomeroy Brothers, in which name the business has been successfully conducted to the present time; in 1869 a branch bank was established at Blossburg, Tioga Co., Pa., under the name of Pomeroy Bros.&Smith, which has also been conducted and successfully managed up to date; besides his banking interests, Mr. Pomeroy is also interested in farming, in Troy township, and is a stockholder in a large cattle ranch in South Dakota. Mr. Pomeroy was married, May 15, 1843, to A. Malvina, daughter of Edward and Olive (Bennett) Davidson, of Tompkins county, N.Y., and has one daughter: Ellen E. (Mrs. Capt. B.B. Mitchell). Mr. Pomeroy is preeminently a self-made man; he and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church; politically he is a Republican.
A. B. PORTER, postmaster, Wyalusing, was born in Newton, Fairfield County, Conn., January 10, 1834, and is a son of M.B. and Sabra (Peck) Porter. M. B. Porter, who was born in Danbury, Conn., in 1808, learned the trade of blacksmith which he followed several years; then began to preach the Gospel, belonging to the Wesleyan Methodist denomination; in 1844 he came to Bradford county, and after a short sojourn in Pike township, he purchased a farm in Herrick township, where he resided some time; he then went to LeRaysville, and from there to Montrose, where he was engaged in mercantile business, and died June 20, 1876; of a family of four children, three reached maturity, viz: Horace S. (deceased), Harriet M. (Married to Hon. Asa Nichols, and died in LeRaysville in December, 1889), and our subject. A. B. Porter was born and reared on a farm, attending the common school until seventeen, when he began teaching, which he followed about twelve years, attending the LeRaysville Academy in the meantime; he afterward took a course in Bryant & Stratton’s Commercial Academy in Philadelphia, graduating from same, October 3, 1861. He enlisted in Company L, Second Pennsylvania Calvary, in 1862, he was promoted to hospital steward, and veteranized December 26, 1863,; he served until July 13, 1865, and was then mustered out with his company; he participated in over forty engagements, among which were Second Bull Run, Gettysburg, Cold Harbor, Wilderness, and the campaign against Richmond. After returning home he learned the photographer’s business at Wyalusing, where he remained twelve years, and was traveling salesman for a book house one year. In July, 1889 he received his appointment as postmaster at Wyalusing. Mr. Porter was united in wedlock, January 5, 1870, with Amelia R., daughter of Henry and Martha (Taylor) Gaylord, and they have the following children: Sabra L. (born October 13, 1870), Gustavus A., (born June 22, 1872, died September 23, 1872), and Evangeline (born August 28, 1877). The family worship at the Presbyterian Church at Wyalusing. Mr. Porter is a member of Jackson Post, No. 74, G.A.R., also of the I.O.O.F., No. 808, Wyalusing, and has passed all the chairs; he is a Republican in politics and has held the office of the justice of the peace for fifteen years.
CLARK B. PORTER, a prominent druggist of Towanda, was born in Cheshire, New Haven Co., Conn., January 19, 1844, and is a son of Hobart C. and Jerusha (Bronson) Porter. His paternal grandfather was Horace Porter, of Puritan stock, and a large land owner and dealer in real estate, at Waterbury, Conn., where he lived and died. The maternal grandfather was Benjamin Bronson, also of Puritan stock, and a prominent merchant of his day, at New Haven, Conn. Hobart C. Porter was a native of Waterbury, Conn.; was educated at New Haven, and began his business career as a merchant, in Cheshire, Conn., and died in New Haven, in 1859; his children were Clark B. and Helen P. (Mrs. Arthur Snow, now deceased). Clark B. Porter was reared in New Haven county, Conn., until fifteen years old. In 1859 he came to Towanda, and entered the drug store of Dr. H. C. Porter, as clerk, and served an apprenticeship of seven years at the business, after which he was employed in the Treasury Department at Washington, two years. In 1868, he embarked in the drug business, at Towanda, with Job P. Kirby, the partnership existing four years, under the firm name of Porter & Kirby, when he sold his interest to Mr. Kirby, and engaged in business alone, at his present location, south end of the "Ward House," where he has since conducted a successful business, and is now the pioneer druggist of the city. Mr. Porter married Lizzie L., daughter of Matthias H. and Annie (Overton) Laning, of Wysox township, this county, and has three children, viz: Mary R., Fannie L. and Emily L. Mr. Porter is a member and vestryman of Christ Episcopal Church, and is a F.&A.M. He is president of Oak Hill Cemetery, president of the Lin-ta Hose Company, a director of the Hawes Manufacturing Company, and Electric Light Company, and is a member of the Board of Trade. He has served two terms as a member of Towanda borough council, and burgess of Towanda, three years. He has served two terms as chief engineer of the Fire Department, is president of the Providence Shield Insurance Company, and in politics is a Democrat.
JASPER B. PORTER, general merchant, Columbia township, P.O. Sylvania, was born at Rising Sun, Cecil Co., Md., June 20, 1849, and is a son of William and Mary E. (Rathbun) Porter, of English descent. He was reared in his native county, until thirteen years of age, when he removed to Washington, D. C., and was graduated from the public school of that city, in the English, French and German branches. On account of ill-health he traveled extensively over the American continent for several years; and in 1883, locating in Sylvania, this county, he embarked in the drug business, at which he continued two years. In 1890, he became proprietor of a general merchandising store, the principal one of Sylvania. On October 4, 1881, he married Stella F., daughter of Harry and Mary E. (Gregory) Coan, of Bloomville, Delaware Co., N.Y. Mr. Porter is a member of the F.&A.M. and I.O.O.F.; he has served as burgess of Sylvania four years, and in politics is a Republican.
THEODORE F. PORTER, salesman, Elmira, N.Y., was born in Granville township, this county, September 5, 1844, and is a son of Minor T. and Anna (Ayres) Porter. His paternal grandparents, Zora and Anna (Keeler) Porter, formerly of Vermont, were pioneers of Granville township, where they cleared and improved a farm on which they lived and died. Their children were Seth K., Minor A., Major B. and Albert. Of these, Minor T., the father of Theodore F., was born in Troy township, in 1810; has always followed farming, and cleared and improved the farm he now owns and occupies in Granville township; his wife was a daughter of Abijah Ayres, who settled in Granville township in 1820. Their children, who grew to maturity, were Edward, Sally (Mrs. Fred Black), Roxie (Mrs. Seely Ayres), Nancy (Mrs. John Grantier), and Theodore F., who was reared in Granville township, was educated in the common schools, and was engaged in farming there for twenty-four years, being now the owner of one of the best farms in Granville township, which was cleared and improved by his father-in-law, Dr. Bovier. Mr. Porter married, in 1866, Helen S., daughter of Dr. Solomon and Almira (Edsell) Bovier, of Granville township, and they have one daughter, Effie (Mrs. S. P. Tinklepaugh). Mr. Porter was in the Civil War, having enlisted, in 1864, in Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers; participated in the battles of Fort Fisher, the Weldon raid and in other minor engagements, and was honorably discharged after eleven months’ service. Mr. Porter has resided in Elmira, N.Y., since 1890. He is a Sir Knight Templar, and is a member of the G.A.R.; in politics he is a Democrat.
UEL C. PORTER, retired, Troy, was born in Troy township, this county, March 16, 1829, and is a son of John and Martha (Furman) Porter. His paternal grandfather, Thomas Porter, was of English parentage, and settled in Troy township in 1814, when he purchased about one hundred and fifty acres of land of the "Drinker tract," which was cleared by himself and sons; he taught school for many years, and was generally known as "Master Porter;" he died in 1824. He married a widow, Mrs. Wiltsie (formerly Hannah Mosher), by whom he had three children: John, Uel and Betsey (Mrs. Warren Williams). The sons succeeded to the homestead, and for twenty years or more, worked the farm in unison, then divided the property on the best of terms. John, the father of our subject, was born in Bethlehem, Albany Co., N.Y., in 1798, and died on the homestead in Troy township, in 1858. His wife was a daughter of William and Abey (Halleck) Furman, the former of whom was a pioneer of Columbia township, where he settled prior to 1810. The issue of this union was eleven children, of whom nine grew to maturity: Betsey (Mrs. Howard Taylor), Julia (Mrs. S. H. Hill), Electa (Mrs. C. T. Merry), Lyman, Uel C., George, Furman, William Burton, and Sarah (Mrs. F. P. Gates). Our subject was reared in Troy township, served an apprenticeship at the harness-maker’s trade, in Burlington, this county, from 1847 to 1849, and from 1856 to 1866 engaged in farming on the old Porter homestead. At the latter date he embarked in the harness business at Troy, with B. H. Hobart, as Hobart & Porter, which they continued until 1888. In 1873 the firm built a tannery, and operated it for a period of three years, when they took E. VanDine in as a partner, and carried on the business for a period of four years longer, under the firm name of E. VanDine & Co., at which time (1880) the firm of E. VanDine & Co., was dissolved, and Hobart and Porter retired. Mr. Porter having been in business a period of twenty-two years. He has been four times married: his second wife was Sarah E., daughter of Jacob and Olive (Williams) Linderman, of Troy township; his third wife was Laura, daughter of Ansel and Betsey (Case) Williams, of Troy township, by whom he has a daughter, Martha E., and his present wife, Fannie M., is a daughter of A.M. Cornell, of Columbia township. Mr. Porter is a member of the Universalist Church, the F.&A.M. and R.A.M. Politically he is a Democrat.
HON. JOSEPH POWELL, Towanda. The good brethren of the Moravian Church were among the earliest pioneers to settle along this branch of the Susquehanna river. These people came as early as 1742, in chartered ships, under the supervision of Count Zinzerdorf and Brother Spangbrother, and every ship-load would organize church societies; hence they were known for a long time as "Die See Gemeinen," or "Sea Congregations." One of these ships so laden was the "Catherine," that sailed from Holstein to London, where they were joined by seven families, of whom were Samuel Powell and wife, Martha, and Joseph Powell and wife, Martha, who were from Shropshire, England, on the border of Wales. The Powells first preached at New Haven. They visited Yale school, and went on foot from Greenwich to New York, where they joined their ship’s company, and proceeded to Philadelphia, and finally to Bethlehem, the Chief Moravian settlement. Of these two men, Joseph Powell was the great-grandfather of the gentlemen whose names opens this sketch. At Bethlehem the great-grandmother died. He was sent by his church to Wechquadnanh, Conn., and died in Sharon, Litchfield county. In 1859, the Moravians erected a suitable monument over his grave. His son, Stephen Powell, was a soldier of the Revolution, and in 1798 he removed from Dutchess county, N.Y., to Bradford county, settling in Ulster, bringing with him his young son, Joseph C. Powell, the father of Joseph Powell. Joseph C. Powell became one of the leading men of Bradford county, and was very prominent as an organizer in the political movements of that day. He was a farmer and merchant, was elected to the Legislature and filled several county offices, such as sheriff and prothonotary, and died at Towanda, in 1854, leaving a large and eminently respectable family. His wife was Selina Phillips, whose father was a native of York and mother of Vermont.
Hon. Joseph Powell was born in Towanda, this county, June 23, 1828, was reared on a farm and attended the common schools, also the academy at Athens. At the age of eighteen he became a clerk in a general store, and had learned the trade well enough, in 1852, to engage in it on his own account, soon becoming one of the leading business men of the county. He was an extensive farmer and merchant, dealing heavily in coal and timber lands, whereby he aided greatly in developing the resources of his native county. He was one of the organizers of the coal company, of which he was treasurer for many years, and he contributed to the building of a large tannery to consume the bark from the timber manufactured in the mills. As a business man he was broad and generous, ever alert in promoting the public weal, and helpful toward not only friends, but all whose claims or wants appealed to his charitable and kind nature. He was one of the original stockholders in the First National Bank of Towanda, in 1863, and in 1870 he became its president, in which position he served nearly twenty years. He was interested in establishing the Towanda Agricultural Implement Factory, and was a director of the Towanda Bridge Company, besides being associated in many other important enterprises. In all these varied industries and pursuits he was eminently conservation and successful. While he was first in enterprise and in public spirit, when war came, although he was from cause exempt form service, yet he claimed the privilege of sending a substitute to the front, while he, at home, was one of the most liberal contributors to the cause, giving both time and means thereto, and his contributions to the different commissions in aid of the soldiers and their families were many and always liberal.
When the war was over he took issue with the Republican party on its reconstruction measures, and in 1874, almost without his knowledge, he was made the Democratic nominee for Congress, and in the face of heavy adverse majority was triumphantly elected. He served his term with wisdom and fidelity, and every measure of economy presented found in him a hearty supporter. He was re-nominated in 1876, but being a Presidential year the opposition was enabled to hold enough of their party in check to defeat him. In 1883 he was nominated, in the face of his earnest protest, by the Democratic State Convention, for State treasurer, and he yielded to the wish of his friends all over the Commonwealth only when he became convinced it was his duty. In 1885 he was appointed, under President Cleveland, deputy collector of the Port of Philadelphia, and served a full term in that high and responsible office. In that great city of rich Republican merchants he discharged every personal and official duty sans peur et sans reproche; and, on resigning his office, in 1889, he carried with him the unqualified respect and approbation of all. In 1890 he was named by the Democratic County Convention for sheriff, and, in the face of a Republican majority, at the proceeding election, of 1890, he was elected by the unprecedented majority of 4,200, exactly one vote for each year of the Christian era, to the date of this extraordinary political triumph; in this particular case, not so much a political triumph as a tribute by his old neighbors and friends to his personal worth. This simple statement of his private and public record clearly indicates that no man in Bradford county ever gained a more sincere and cordial respect of all the people than has he. He had built up a great private fortune, and when a series of the most untoward circumstances swept away that fortune, while holding in his hands many private trusts, yet so clean, honorable and clear was his every move that his personal popularity among all men was only added to, when it had already seemed to have reached the extreme high tide. He was married, February 2, 1859, to Miss Hannah Noble, step-daughter of Hon. H. W. Tracy, a member of Congress, in 1862, and by this union there are four daughters and one son, as follows: Henrietta Page, Frances Theresa, Joseph, Hannah and Mary.
PATRICK POWERS, blacksmith, P.O. East Smithfield, was born in Athens, January 29, 1850, a son of Thomas and Alice (Bollon) Powers, natives of County Waterford, Ireland, who came to this county when young, and settled at Athens, about forty-five years ago. Mr. Powers, who is the youngest of eight children, commenced to learn his trade at fourteen years of age, and when eighteen started in the business for himself at Athens, which he has continued since. He married, November 6, 1875, Catherine, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Farr) Buck, natives of Ireland, who came to this country in early life (she was the third in a family of twelve children, and was born in Ridgebury, this county, May 28, 1854). Mr. and Mrs. Powers have had born to them two children: Thomas F., born August 6, 1876, and Isabell, born June 22, 1878. Mr. Powers has been a successful businessman, and has accumulated a nice property; he is a Democrat in politics. The family are members of the Roman Catholic Church.
DAVID S. PRATT, M.D., Towanda, one of the leading and eminent physicians of Bradford county, is a native of the State, born in Susquehanna county, December 16, 1826, and is a son of Russell and Oliver Towner Pratt. His paternal grandfather removed from Connecticut to Middleton, in 1799, and purchased a quarter section of land, and died there. Dr. Pratt’s father, who was a farmer, merchant, and manufacturer, removed to Towanda in 1848, and resided there until his death. His children were nine in number, as follows: Matilda (Mrs. Lyman E. DeWolf), Leonard, Calvin, Mary (Mrs. A. J. Easterbrook), David S., Angeline (Mrs. H. A. Burbank), Julia (Mrs. Rev. Timothy Olmsted), Sophronia (Mrs. S. W. Rogers) and Joseph T. Dr. Pratt was reared in his native town, and educated in the common schools and at Susquehanna Academy. He read medicine with his brother, Dr. Leonard Pratt, now of San Jose, Cal., was graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1851, and immediately located in Towanda, where he has since been in active practice. His youngest brother, Joseph T., who died twelve years ago, when but thirty-eight years of age, had, by his own unaided exertions, attained the honorable position of judge of the court of common pleas, at Philadelphia. In 1849 Dr. Pratt married Catherine, daughter of Daniel and Mary (Allen) Abell, of Warrant township, this county, and niece of A. S. Abell, of Baltimore. He has four children: Ella (Mrs. W. G. Gordon), Dr. D. Leonard, Isabella (Mrs. Simon Randall), and Dr. C. Manville. The Doctor is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the F.&A.M., and in politics he is a Republican. The practice of homeopathy, at the time of his opening an office here, was somewhat new to the people, but his remarkable success is the best evidence that it did not long thereafter remain so. Professionally, socially and financially Dr. Pratt has long been easily recognized as one of our foremost citizens, and has reared his family eminent in all the social qualities that are the make-up of this favored community. He has passed the three-score mile-stone on life’s highway, but is strong, active, and as busy, professionally, as in his younger and probably more combative days, and with his extensive practice has accumulated a handsome competency.
DR. LEONARD PRATT, M.D., a well-known physician and surgeon of Towanda, was born in Towanda, this county, December 6, 1853, and is a son of Dr. David S. and Catherine (Abell) Pratt. He was reared in his native town, and received an academical education at Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Towanda, and Waverly Academy, Waverly, N.Y., where he passed the regent’s examination, which admitted him to any university in the State, when but fifteen years of age. He then studied medicine with his father, and graduated from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in March, 1875, and in 1878, graduated from the Chicago Homeopathic Medical College, Chicago., Ill. Dr. Pratt began the practice of his profession in Towanda, in 1878, removed to Minneapolis, Minn., in 1886, and while there was elected presiding officer and medical examiner in the Knights of Honor of that city; was four years Medical Director of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen, and also State examiner for the Knights of Pythias. He returned to Towanda in 1888, where he has since been in active practice, giving his especial attention to surgery. On May 12, 1875, the Doctor married Mary, daughter of Sherman M. and Helen (Myer) Aspinwall, of Towanda, and by her he has three children: Catherine H., Joseph G. and Sue M. The Doctor is a member of the Western Academy of Medicine, the Minnesota State Medical Society of Homeopathy, and also belongs to the K.of H., and K.of P.; in politics he is a Republican.
C. MANVILLE PRATT, M.D., Towanda, is a native of Bradford county, a son of the well-known Dr. D. S. Pratt, his mother being Catherine (Abell) Pratt. The ancestors of this gentleman were among the early pioneers of Bradford county, and the family are remotely of English descent. In Dr. D.S. Pratt’s family were four children – two sons and two daughters. The subject of this sketch was born in Towanda, October 26, 1859, passed the rooms of the public schools and then became a student in the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, where he was graduated in 1875, and was then in attendance at Princeton University, three years, entering sophomore year, and was graduated in 1879. He then became a medical student in the Pennsylvania University, and received the degree of M.D. in 1882, and in 1885 he was graduated in the Homeopathic School of Medicine, at Chicago, and practiced one year in his father’s office, in Towanda, since when he has been alone; and, while not one of the oldest in the profession, he has a practice that is as extensive as many who have long outranked him in years in the borough. While his practice is in physic and surgery, yet it is probably in the line of surgery that he excels, as to this branch of his profession he is earnestly devoted, and has performed some noted and difficult operations. The doctor was united in marriage, in 1885, with Louise, daughter of Sterling Woodford, who was of English descent. The children born to Dr. and Mrs. Pratt are: Davis S., Sterling Woodford and Russell Boyd. Pratt is a member of the Episcopal Church, and in politics he is a Republican.
SOPHRONUS S. PRATT, farmer, Pike township, P.O. Brushville, was born in Prattville, Bradford Co., Pa., April 4, 1836, a son of James W. and Ruth (Canfield) Pratt, natives of Connecticut, in whose family there were eleven children, of whom Sophronus is the sixth. He purchased his present home of seventy-two acres in 1861, and has since given his undivided attention to farming. Mr. Pratt was married, January 2, 1859, to Lucy, eldest daughter of Giles N. and Emeline DeWolf, natives of Pennsylvania and of French origin. This happy union has been blessed with four children, as follows: Leslie M., born June 2, 1860, died June 23, 1863; Sylvia May, born November 27, 1862, was married, September 16, 1883, to Irad Doan (they have one child: Ella C., born November 2, 1885); Arthur V., born November 17, 1865, was married September 1, 1885, to Lottie Wyley (they have one child, George S., born November 20, 1887) and Clara V., born June 12, 1868, died October 13, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Pratt are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics he is a Republican.
EBEN L. PRESTON, general blacksmith, P.O. Columbia Cross Roads, was born in Troy township, this county, April 24, 1848, a son of Jabez and Elvira (Ayres) Preston. His paternal grandfather, Eben Preston, formerly of Vermont, was one of the pioneers of Troy township, and cleared and improved the farm now owned by Benjamin Webber and the Levi Preston estate; he married Lucy Baldwin, by whom he had three children: Jabez, Nancy (Mrs. Andrew Decker) and Levi, who married Susan Webber. The father of our subject was born in Troy township, always followed farming as an occupation, and died, in 1865, at the age of forty-six years. His wife was a daughter of Lorenzo and Abigail (Smith) Ayres, of Columbia township, by whom he had four children: Eben L., Lucy (Mrs. Julius Adams), Lewis and Emma (Mrs. George Ross). Eben L. was reared and educated in Troy township, and followed farming until 1885. For several winters he worked at the blacksmith’s trade, and in 1886, he married Phebe M., daughter of Myron and Phebe (Rundell) Luther, of Burlington township, and has four children living: Elmer, Bertie, Elsie and Lucy. He is a member of the I.O.O.F.; politically he is Republican.
L. D. PRINCE, mechanic, Rome, was born in Orwell township, this county, December 1, 1830, and is a son of M. B. and Harriet (Russell) Prince, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Orwell township, a daughter of Dan Russell, one of the early pioneers of that township. Their family consisted on ten children, three of whom died in infancy, and one was killed by a rolling log; but four of the family survive, viz.: Polly, wife of Merritt Cole; Marthy, wife of Kirby Smith; David, a wagon-maker, and L. D. The boyhood of our subject was spent on a farm; he attended the common schools until eighteen, acquiring a fair knowledge of the common branches. He began as a farmer on the old homestead at twenty-two; then learned the trade of mason, and has worked at the same in connection with farming until the present time. He was united in wedlock, October 21, 1855, with Elizabeth, daughter of Martin and Polly (McGill) Moore; she was born in Towanda township, December 8, 1828, the eldest in a family of ten children. Mr. and Mrs. Prince have had four children as follows: Polly, born September 13, 1856, married to L. D. Strope; J. M. Prince, born in Rome township, August 12, 1858, educated at Rome Academy, Collegiate Institute, of Towanda, and was graduated Doctor of Medicine and Bachelor of Science at National Normal University of Lebanon, Ohio, 1890, and is now a student at a Polyclinic school at Cincinnati. He taught several years in the common and graded schools of this county, and though using the profession as a stepping stone to something better, and to wider fields for his future career, has made a marked success of teaching; Levi L., musician, born April 7, 1870, educated in the common schools, Rome Academy, Monroeton High School, and the National University of Lebanon, Ohio; Lizzie, born September 4, 1867, educated at Rome Academy, and has adopted teaching as her profession. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. L.D. Prince fills the position of trustee, treasurer and superintendent of the Sabbath school; he is a Republican, and has filled the office of assessor many years; is now serving his second term as burgess of Rome borough. Mr. Prince has passed his life so far in Rome township, and has always commanded the esteem and respect of all his neighbors.
MILES PRINCE, farmer, of Warren township, P.O. Cadis, a native of Windham township, was born January 1, 1822, a son of Joseph and Lucinda (Bates) Prince, natives of New Hampshire and Connecticut, respectively, who were married in this State, and were farmers. The father was a son of Abell Prince, who was a son of Lieut. Joseph Prince, of King George’s army, and fought the Indians of New Hampshire, in early days. Abell Prince died in 1832; he had reared a family of ten children, of whom Joseph, who was the fifth, came to Bradford county in 1810, with his brother Abell, and improved the farm where his son Miles now resides. He was an early pioneer, strong and vigorous, and planted a seedling orchard, one of the first in the township; he died April 16, 1844, while his widow survived until November 12, 1852. They had four children, as follows: Miles, Myron, Joe (died March 24, 1859, aged twenty-five), Lucinda A. (Mrs. Edwin Williams), died September 22, 1871, leaving two children, Alice and James. Miles, the eldest, was reared and educated at his home in Windham and Warren townships, and when a young man taught several terms of school in the winter, and farmed in the summer; he has been one of our most successful farmers, and owns 150 acres, with ample buildings, and in an excellent state of cultivation. He has his farm well stocked, and his accumulated capital is loaned out. February 20, 1847, in Warren township, he married Charlotte, daughter of Manson and Elmira (Mackey) Elsbree, natives of Albany county, N.Y., who came to this county in 1830, and had three children, of whom Mrs. Prince was the second. Mr. and Mrs. Prince have four children as follows: Joseph M., a resident of West Warren; Emmogene (Mrs. Warren Elsworth), of Albany, N.Y., who has one child, Webster H.; Laura E. (Mrs. Emerson Taylor), of Nichols, N.Y., and James W., married to Grace E. Berk, of South Creek township, and has a son, Miles G. Mr. Prince is a member of G.T. and the I.O.O.F. and is a Freemason of Westbrook Lodge, No. 333, a master of the third degree; has filled the office of justice of the peace three terms, school director, etc., and is a Republican.
JAMES T. PRITCHARD, foreman in the Lehigh Valley Railroad boiler shops, Sayre, is a native of Schenectady, N.Y., born September 22, 1857, and is a son of Richard and Annie (Tyler) Pritchard, the former a native of Middlesex, England, and the latter of Aberdeen, Scotland. The father is a boiler-maker and resides in Scranton. James T. is the second in a family of nine children, of whom four are living. At the age of ten he went to work in the boiler shop, in Jersey City, and then moved to Scranton, and served an apprenticeship with the Dickson Manufacturing Company, where he remained about seventeen years; thence went to Rome, N.Y., where he worked at his trade until the fall of 1886, when he came to Sayre, and in April, 1890, he was promoted to the position of foreman of the boiler shops. Mr. Pritchard was married in Scranton, in 1875, to Miss Mary, daughter of Harry and Mary Rodgers, natives of Pennsylvania; she is the third in the order of birth in a family of nine children, and was born in Scranton, in 1856. Mr. and Mrs. Pritchard were born eight children, of whom seven are living, as follows: James D., Ellen J., Jessie L., Mildred E., Alfred L., Ernest E. and Eugene E., the two latter being twins. The family worship at the Episcopal Church; in politics Mr. Pritchard is a Republican.
J. SCOTT PULTZ, conductor on the L.V.R.R., Sayre, is a native of Burlington, this county, a son of Henry and Adeline (Wheeler) Pultz, the former a native of Owego, and the latter of Schoharie county, N.Y. Henry Pultz is a farmer, residing in Burlington, this county, and is now in his seventy-fifth year. The mother is in her seventy-sixth year. The subject of this biographical memoir is the youngest in a family of four children, of whom two are now living, himself and a sister, Doreleaki, wife of Philander Long, residing in Wellsboro, Pa. J. Scott Pultz was reared in Burlington, and received his education in the public schools; then worked at the carpenter’s trade, building wooden bridges, until 1877, when he went to work on the Northern Central Railroad, but only remained there a short time, when he went to work on the L.V.R.R. as brakeman; was promoted to conductor on that line June, 1880, and has held that position since. He is a member of the Order of Red Men, the Order of Railway Conductors, Southern Tier Division, No. 10; Iron Hall and Conductors’ Aid Association. Politically he is a Republican.
LUMAN PUTNAM, retired, Granville Centre, was born in Great Barrington, Mass., September 22, 1801, and is a son of John and Lendy (Andrus) Putnam, who settled in Granville township, this county, in 1817, locating on the farm now occupied by subject, where they started a clearing, and died. The father was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, serving nearly four years; he was twice married, his first wife being Fiche VanDeusen, by whom he had two children: Katie, and Lucretia (Mrs. Joseph Bush); by his second wife, Lendy (Andrus), he had children, as follows: Luman, Henry, Fiche (Mrs. Stephen Landon), Isaac, Lydia (Mrs. Heman Bruce), Sally (Mrs. Luther F. Clark), Jane (Mrs. VanRensalear Champney). Mr. Putnam died in 1844 at the age of seventy-six years. The subject of this memoir was reared in his native town, until nearly sixteen years of age, when he removed with his parents to Granville, and with the exception of three and one-half years, he lived in Wayne county, N.Y.,; has since resided there, occupying the old homestead, most of which he cleared and improved. He married twice: his first wife was Jerusha, daughter of Scoville and Jerusha (Hale) Bailey, of Granville township, and by her he had children, as follows: Lurenda (Mrs. Benjamin S. Smiley), Amanda (Mrs. Dr. Charles Drake), Lucretia, Selenda (Mrs. Valentine Saxton), Eliza (Mrs. A. S. Rockwell), Luman, Jr., and Harvey. Mr. Mr. Putnam is a member of the Church of Christ; he was justice of the peace of Granville eighteen years, eight years by appointment of the Governor, and ten years by election of the people; was county auditor and commissioner, each one term, and also revenue commissioner of the district of Bradford, Susquehanna and Sullivan counties; was delegate to the State Convention, at Harrisburg, in 1854, that nominated William Bigler for governor. Since 1856 he has been a Republican.
PHILANDER PUTNAM, a farmer, Granville Centre, was born in Granville township, January 5, 1831, and is a son of Harry and Mary (Saxton) Putnam; his paternal grandfather, John Putnam, formerly of Massachusetts, settled in Granville township in 1817, cleared and improved a farm and died there; his maternal grandfather, Benjamin Saxton, settled in Granville in 1807. Harry Putnam, father of the subject of this sketch, cleared and improved a farm in Granville, on which he lived and died; his children were: Erastus, Philander, John, Jane, Benjamin and Lura (Mrs. Aaron Waldron). Philander Putnam was reared in Granville, began life as a farmer, which he has always followed, clearing and improving most of the farm where he now resides. In October, 1852, he married Mary, daughter of Ambrose Spencer, of Granville township, and has six children, as follows: Edward, Leslie f., Merton A., Scott W., Rosalia (Mrs. Irvin Casterline) and Milan H. Mr. Putnam was in the Civil War, enlisting in October, 1862, in Company D, Third Pennsylvania Artillery, and was honorably discharged, after six months’ service on account of disability. He is an attendant and supporter of the Christian Church; is a member of the G.A.R., and in politics is a Republican.
EDWARD W. PUTNAM, superintendent of the County Poor House, and farmer, P.O. Burlington, was born in Granville, this county, February 10, 1854, a son of Philander and Mary (Spencer) Putnam, natives of this county, and probably direct descendants of Gen. Israel Putnam, of Revolutionary fame. Philander Putnam, who is a farmer in Granville township, was in the War of the Rebellion, three years, and participated in many of the hard-fought battles. Edward W. Putnam was reared on the farm, and educated in the schools of his native town, followed farming until the time of his appointment as the superintendent of the County Farm, in January, 1887, which farm comprises 267 acres of fine land, the buildings being probably the finest of any similar ones in the State. Mr. Putnam was married, September 29, 1885, to Amanda Herda, of Burlington, born February 14, 1861, a daughter of Frederick and Sophia (Herbst) Herda, the former a native of Germany, and the latter of Detroit, Mich. Mr. and Mrs. Putnam have had one son, named Walter, born January 8, 1887. Mr. Putnam is a Republican in politics, takes and active interest in the affairs of the party, and has become deservedly popular in the responsible position he now occupies.
MRS. ELIZABETH QUICK, Wilmot Township, was born May 5, 1842, and is a daughter of George and Margaret (Frutchey) Kintner, natives of Pennsylvania and of German lineage. She was married July 4, 1865, to Thomas, son of Paul and Mary (Miller) Quick, of Wilmot, and who died April 19, 1881. They had five children: Eva, born October 1, 1866, died October 31, 1889; Bertha A., born September 29, 1868; Cora E., born May 13, 1871; Pauline, born March 18, 1873, and Thomas M., born May 28, 1880. Mr. Quick enlisted August 7, 1862, in Company A, One Hundred and Forty first P.V.I., and served his country’s cause until May 16, 1865, when he was mustered out with his regiment. Mrs. Quick is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
W. CLINTON QUICK, farmer, Wilmot township, was born in Wilmot, this county, January 2, 1841, and is a son of George and Jane (Howey) Quick, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of New Jersey, both being of Holland origin. He began life for himself at the age of sixteen, working at farm labor, and enlisted at Laceyville, October 2, 1861, in Company B, Eighty-fourth P.V.I., and was in the following engagements: Bath, Hancock, Winchester, Front Royal, Port Republic, Rappahannock Station, Slaughter Mountain, Thoroughfare Gap, Bull Run, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, where he received a gunshot wound in the right forearm, and was also struck in the side by a spent minie ball, seriously injuring his lungs; he was taken prisoner, but was paroled in fourteen days, when he was taken to the Little Potomac Creek field hospital, and later to West Philadelphia Hospital and was discharged, for physical disabilities to Wilmot township, and in 1884 purchased his present home. Mr. Quick was married, November 4, 1867, to Miss Eliza, daughter of Daniel Crandell of Wilmot, and they have four children: Minnie E., born August 30, 1868; Alice L., born November 8, 1871; Stanley A., born March 17, 1875; Florence N., born March 15, 1878. Mr. Quick’s loyalty to the Union cause on the field of battle is paralleled only by his fidelity to the Democratic party.
PROF. EDWIN E. QUINLAN, A.M., principal of the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Towanda. The biographer notes, always with peculiar pleasure, the rise and progress in life of the few men who are classed as "self-made." There is something fascinating in the idea of the youth, rough and rugged, starting out in the world, conscious only of his high resolution to succeed, and to travel along those higher walks of life, that are so inviting to all noble ambitions. Prof. Quinlan is a native of Fallsburg, N.Y., where he was born January 5, 1848, a son of Bennett and Abbie S. (Knox) Quinlan, respectable farmers in their native State, and descendants, in the remote years, of the Scotch-Irish German. The parents were well-to-do people, with well cultivated fields, fair education and Christian character. The old gentleman has now retired from the active cares of life, and is at the old New York home. In such surroundings, young Edwin grew to a lad of sixteen, and from a fair farm hand in summer, and a pupil in the common schools or academy in winter, he became a school teacher. He taught his first five months for a total salary of $100, and "boarded around." The next year we find him in charge of the schools at Monticello, N.Y., the seat of justice of Sullivan county, and his salary is now the comparatively princely sum of fifty dollars a month. At eighteen he became one of the instructors at the Monticello Academy, at that time a large and flourishing institution, where he taught two years, in a school of eight teachers. It was chiefly in this school, by his untiring application to private study, that he prepared himself for college. At the end of his private study, that he prepared to enter Cornell University, and was a speaker at the first public exercises ever held by the students of that institution. While teaching he had earned and saved considerable to pay a portion of his way in college. In 1870 he left the university, to accept a position in the Susquehanna College Institute, Towanda. He had been elected principal, with Prof. George W. Ryan of the Institute. These young men entered upon the work with a seal that soon lifted it into permanent prominence. After three years, Mr. Ryan retired to take charge of the Towanda public schools, when Prof. Quinlan became sole in charge. The standard of scholarship, under his administration, has been raised, and the institution placed on a sure footing, and is one of the flourishing and prominent schools of the State. There were fourteen graduates in 1889, and in the year of 1890, sixteen. In his chosen field of labor in Towanda, Prof. Quinlan has now been engaged twenty-one years, and nearly 3,000 pupils have passed through his hands as their instructor. In the colleges and universities where students have gone from his Institute the certificates of his school are received in lieu of an examination. The Professor is a member of the Presbyterian Church, teacher of the bible class of the Sunday school, and is an earnest and effective Christian worker in other fields of Christian activity. In 1876 he received an honorary degree from Lafayette College; he is esteemed as a highly cultured gentleman, of fine physique, and equipped for higher work in the paths of literature and science; board and liberal as a Christian teacher, who combines, with intense love of his profession, the equipments of a practical and efficient financier. Politically, he esteems it a privilege and duty to vote for the best man, regardless of the name of the party to which he may belong. Prof. Edwin E. Quinlan and Miss Jennette A. Snook were joined in marriage in Brooklyn, N.Y., August 22, 1870, and there have been born three children: Mary F., Charles E. and Alice E. The family worship at the Presbyterian Church, of which he is an elder. Prof. Quinlan has large interests in the lumber business, and this is more profitable, from a financial point of view, than is his compensation as a teacher, yet he follows the latter almost wholly from a feeling of devotion to the cause.
He has published a small work on language teaching, entitled, "The Student’s Hand-Book on the English Sentence," several thousand of which have already been used in Pennsylvania schools, without being pushed by any agent or publishing house.
JOHN M. RAHM, roadmaster, Northern Division, Lehigh Valley Railroad, Towanda, was born in Wooster, Ohio, September 25, 1839, a son of David and Hannah (Davis) Rahm, natives of Middletown and Catawissa, Pa., respectively. The paternal grandfather, Melchoir Rahm, was a native of Germany, and a pioneer of Wayne county, Ohio, where he died. The maternal grandfather was John Davis, of German descent, who resided at Catawissa, Pa. The parents of our subject settled in Standing Stone, this county, in 1855, and in 1867 removed to Towanda, where they resided until their death. David Rahm was superintendent of the North Branch Canal from 1855 until it was abandoned, in 1872, and was afterward in the employ of the Pennsylvania & New York Canal Railroad Company until his death in 1882. His children were five in number: John M., Joseph R., Sarah E., Isaac M. and Susie E. John M. Rahm was reared in Pennsylvania, where he received a common school education, and when sixteen years of age he entered the employ of the State, as foreman of a canal division, and served five years. The property being purchased by the North Branch Canal Company, he continued with them in the same capacity, three years, when he was appointed supervisor of a division of thirty miles, which he held until January, 1866, when the property came into the control of the Pennsylvania & New York Canal & Railroad Company, and he continued with them in same position until December, 1867, when he was appointed roadmaster of the division between Towanda and Waverly, of which he had charge two years. Then in the same capacity he took charge of the road between Waverly and Pittston, which position he still fills, and since 1869 in the interest of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, and now has charge of 356 miles of track. Mr. Rahm was married, January 2, 1866, to Amelia, daughter of Alexander and Eleanor (Stevens) Ennis, granddaughter, on the paternal side, of Levi Ennis, and, on the maternal side, of Asa Stevens, son of Jonathan, a son of Asa Stevens, who settled in the Wyoming Valley in 1772. He was a lieutenant in Wilkes-Barre county and was active in the battle of Wyoming, where he was among the slain. Both grandfathers, as well as the great-grandfather of Mrs. Rahm (Jonathan Stevens), were pioneers of Standing Stone, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Rahm have one daughter, Millie L. (Mrs. Edward L. Smith), who has one son, David R. Mr. Rahm is a member of the F.&A.M., and is serving his second term as member of Towanda council; politically he is a Democrat.
OLIVER B. RAKE, stone-cutter, Wilmot township, P.O. Laceyville, Wyoming county, was born in Wyalusing, July 15, 1859, and is a son of William and Lydia (Brown) Rake, natives of Pennsylvania, the former of German and the latter of Irish descent. Our subject began life for himself at fourteen, as an apprentice to the stone-cutter’s trade in Black Walnut, Pa., and in two years was recommended as a journeyman. He then went to Myersburg, and worked one year, during which time he did all the fine stone-cutting for the building of the "Ward House" and the "Seeley House," at Towanda. In 1878 he was a partner in operating the Conklin quarry at Myersburg, and then sold out and went to Windsor, N.Y., where he was engaged in bridge building, and remained nearly a year, when he was foreman at Lanesborough, Pa., where he remained until 1881. He then went to Meshoppen, but after a short time removed to Towanda, Pa., where he had charge of the Fox quarry, for the Wyoming Valley Blue Stone Company, three years. He then removed to Tioga county, Pa., and was there as foreman until he located in Laceyville, and was then foreman in the Rockey Forest quarry, in Wilmot, where he is now. Mr. Rake was married, March 26, 1881, to Miss Anna E., daughter of Charles Turner, of Stroudsburg, Monroe Co., Pa., and they have two children: Nina D., born March 29, 1982, and Maggie E., born August 5, 1883. Mr. Rake is a very skillful mechanic, and is regarded as master of his art; his political sympathies are with the Republican party.
L. D. RANDALL, of the firm of Randall & Son, millers, Canton township, P.O. Canton, is a native of Armenia township, this county, born June 26, 1849, and is a son of Daniel and Charlotte (McIntosh) Randall, natives of Delaware and Schoharie counties, N.Y., respectively. Daniel Randall is a farmer, and resided on the farm near which the mill property is located, about one mile east of Canton. He served one term as township commissioner; Mrs. Randall died in 1881, in her fifty-fourth year. The subject of these lines is the eldest in a family of three children. They removed from Armenia township to Tioga county, Pa., when he was ten years of age, where he remained about six years, working on the farm, and then removed to Troy, where he learned the miller’s trade, which he followed six years, and then came to Canton, and has since been connected with the gristmill. Mr. Randall was married in Union township, Tioga Co., Pa., in 1875, to Miss Electa, daughter of Samuel and Maria (Spencer) Morgan, natives of Wayne and Tioga counties, Pa. Mrs. Randall is the second in order of birth in a family of nine children, and was born in Tioga county, Pa., in July, 1949; politically Mr. Randall is a Democrat.
MILES F. RANSOM, farmer, Ulster, born in Tioga county, N.Y., a son of Ira Ransom, who was the first male child born in the town. His grandfather, Forman, was a scout in Washington’s army, and was sheriff of Tioga county many years. His great-grandfather, Ransom, was a captain in the Revolutionary War, and was massacred at Wyoming. Mr. Ransom came to this town about fifty years ago, and was married August 20, 1846, to Adelaide D., daughter of Mathias and Susan (Minier) Lent; there have been born to them six children, five of whom are living, as follows: Alice, born April 30, 1848; William, born march 9, 1850; married to Marion McCauly; Jessie H., born February 25, 1856, married to Robert N. Nichol; George Palmer, born June 12, 1865; and Anna H., born June 6, 1870. Mrs. Ransom traces her ancestry back to the Dutch, who first settled on Manhattan island, N.Y.; her parents were pioneers of Wysox, who settled there about ninety years ago. Mr. Ransom’s mother, Sarah Forman, was of the same family as Miles Standish, the captain of the famous "Mayflower." The Formans were Puritans. Mr. Ransom has been a successful man, and prospered in all of his enterprises; has been largely engaged in raising fine horses, cattle and sheep, and has sold some of the finest horses in the county; he is a Democrat, and has been county commissioner and auditor. His daughters, Alice, Anna II, and Mrs. Nichol, are members of the Roman Catholic Church.
W. R. RAYMOND, freight conductor, Athens township, P.O. Sayre, a native of Athens township, this county was born October 8, 1854. His parents were John R. and E. C. (Crans) Raymond, the former a native of Tioga county, N.Y., and the latter of Athens county. The father was a farmer and lumberman, and died in Athens township in 1856, and the mother, after his death, married Andrew J. Lyon, and they are now residents of Waverly; she is a descendant of Adam Crans, a pioneer settler of this county, and a sister of the late R. G. Crans, a merchant of Waverly. Our subject, who is the younger of the two children, resided in Athens township until he was eight years of age, when the family removed to Factoryville, where they remained about four years, and then came to Waverly. Here our subject received an academic education, and afterward clerked in a dry-goods and grocery store, and then was in the employ of Westfall & Bonnell, flour and feed dealers. He then made a trip West, returned, and was engaged in the trade on his own account a short time. In 1870 he again went West, traveling through Michigan, Illinois, Montana and Canada, and returned home in 1872. In 1876 he went on the L.V.R.R. as brakeman, was promoted to conductor in 1880, and has held that position since. Mr. Raymond was married in Waverly, in 1878, to Miss Henrietta, daughter of Alfred and Lucinda (Rosencrantz) Goodle, natives of Wyoming county (she is an only child and was born in Tunkhannock, in September, 1857). To Mr. and Mrs. Raymond was born one daughter, Loui. Mrs. Raymond is a member of the Episcopal Church, he is a member of the Order of Railway Conductors, Waverly Division, No. 20, and is a Democrat in politics.
CHARLES REED, physician and surgeon, Wysox, was born in Wysox, this county, September 3, 1857, and is a son of J. Myer and Stella L. (Goodrich) Reed, the former a native of Amenia, N.Y., and of English and German origin; the latter a native of Towanda, and a granddaughter of John Fox, one of the first settlers in Bradford county. Charles Reed, who is the third of five living children, was reared on the farm, educated in the common school at Myersburg, the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, and, after one year, spent in studying medicine with Dr. T. F. Madill, of Wysox, entered Jefferson Medical College, where he was graduated in 1880, taking the third honor in a class of 213. He then entered into partnership with Dr. Madill in the practice of medicine, which was continued two years, when he opened an office of his own at Wysox, where he has since practiced. In 1891, he went to Europe to further pursue the study of medicine, and specialize diseases of the heart and lungs, and spent two months at Berlin, attending lectures and studying Dr. Koch’s treatment for consumption. Before departing for Europe, he was commissioned, by Gov. Pattison, a medical representative of Pennsylvania at Berlin. After leaving that place, he spent some time in traveling through Italy, Austria, France and England, visiting many interesting places, galleries, hospitals, etc., and returned to America, April 3, 1891. Since his return, Dr. Reed’s practice, which was already very large, has increased so that he can scarcely attend to it; he has cases in the neighboring counties, from Elmira to Wilkes-Barre, where he has successfully used Dr. Koch’s world-renowned "Lymph." The Doctor was married, May 8, 1883, to Miss Nellie W., daughter of Urbane and Lydia (Weber) Dilley, of Wilkes-Barre, and they have two children: Edward U., born May 1, 1884, and Charles B., born June 4, 1887. Dr. and Mrs. Reed are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is elder and trustee. He is a member of the Bradford County Medical Society, and of the American Medical Association. Politically he is a pronounced Democrat.
WILLIAM RELYEA, farmer, of Wells township, P.O. Gillett, was born in Middletown, Delaware Co., N.Y., September 7, 1829, a son of Daniel and Eliza (Murdock) Relyea, the former born in Ulster, the latter in Delaware county, N.Y. Daniel removed to this county in 1835, locating in South Creek township, where he took up a farm of 150 acres, in what was then a wilderness. He, like all old pioneers, had to contend with the hardships incident to pioneer life; he built a log house, wielding his ax in felling the timber that circumscribed his progress, and at times the rod and gun were called into requisition. He cleared up his farm, and made improvements in other respects, besides adding more to what he already had. He died in 1890, at the advanced age of eighty-six, having lived in this county over fifty-five years. He reared nine children, eight of whom grew to maturity, and five of whom are now living. The subject of this sketch inherited the same enterprising spirit that his father had, and was reared and educated in South Creek at the common school. He entered into business for himself, at the age of twenty-one, having, before that age, purchased his present home, upon which he has lived all his days, except ten years he spent in Columbia township, though, while there, he retained his farm in Wells. He is a practical farmer, and made his money out of the soil on which he lives, by hard work, perseverance and economy. At the age of about twenty Mr. Relyea married, for his first wife, Miss Jane, daughter of John and Jerusha Ann McMullen, October 4, 1849; at Rutland, Tioga, Co., Pa., and there were born to them four children: Lydia R., Emma, William H. and Martha, all of whom are married and prosperous. For his second wife he married Miss Margaret, daughter of John and Mary Wilson, March 1, 1866, at Columbia, this county; by this marriage he had five children, three of whom are living: Wilson, Nellie and Minta, and they are at home and unmarried. Mr. Relyea is a general farmer, but pays especial attention to dairying. His premises are well watered, as he keeps a wind-mill continually in motion; his fish pond is spacious, containing the palatable carp in abundance. Mr. Relyea is now serving his second term as town commissioner, and office he fills to the satisfaction of all; he is a member of the I.O.O.F. and the Grange.
EZRA E. REYNOLDS, Windham township, farmer and stockgrower, P.O. North Orwell, was born in Delaware county, N.Y., December 18, 1836, and is a son of John and Violetta (Bates) Reynolds of Connecticut, of English origin, a people who have been tillers of the soil for generations. The family came to Bradford county in 1846, and settled in Windham township, and made this their permanent home, and the father died in 1870; the mother still survives. Their family consisted of eight children, of whom Ezra was the second, and grew to manhood in Windham township, and commenced life a farmer, and has, with his own hands, made his way to a competency, and his highly improved and valuable farm consists of 186 acres of rich land. He married, in 1860, Lucinda, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Wilsey) Wilson, also natives of New York, and of English origin. To them were born two children, Mary E., wife of Platt Osborn, of Windham, and Martin, a merchant of New York City. The family worship, usually, at the Methodist Church, though Mrs. Reynolds is a member of the Episcopal Church. In 1864 Mr. Reynolds enlisted in Company B, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and was under Gen. Sheridan; was in the battle of Winchester at his first fight, and was at Snicker’s Gap and Maryland Heights. After arriving at Washington he was taken sick, and was sent to the hospital, and when convalescent became a nurse in the small-pox ward. He never fully recovered from his camp sickness, and is a pensioner. He is a member of the G.A.R., Stevens Post, No. 69, Rome, and has held the office of treasurer; in politics he votes the Republican ticket.
GEORGE F. REYNOLDS, farmer, Wysox township, P.O. Myersburg, was born n Wysox, this county, October 25, 1827, and is a son of Samuel and Sarah (Bennett) Reynolds, natives of Pennsylvania, the former of whom was a mill-wright. They reared a family of four children, of whom George F. is the eldest and the only survivor. Our subject was reared on the farm, educated in the common school, and assisted his father on the farm and at his trade until he was twenty-four; then purchased his present home of his father. On August 10, 1862, he enlisted at Towanda, and was mustered out January 6, 1863, on surgeon’s certificate of disability; his wife was obliged to go to Washington to bring him home. He has since given his attention chiefly to farming, and has made a success. G. F. Reynolds’ grandfather, Wilbur Bennett, and his brother, Robert, traded a farm in Wilkes-Barre for a tract of land extending from Myersburg to Gillett’s bridge, called Plum Vale Tract, where they settled about 1804. The farm now owned by G. F. Reynolds and son, William, is part of that tract of land. Robert afterward sold his claim, but Wilbur remained and cleared a large farm; he reared a family of three children: Asa, Benjamin and Sarah. G. F. Reynolds was married, November 17, 1853, to Miss Malinda Porter, who was born October 4, 1834. This happy union has been blessed with five children: Ellen J., born September 10, 1856 (married to George Fox, of Durell, and died April 21, 1886); Addie M., born July 2, 1858 (Married to Samuel Chamberlain, a farmer of Wysox township); Georgia, born August 8, 1860 (married to Frank Frisbie, a blacksmith, of Durell); William S., born March 11, 1866, a farmer, of Wysox township; Marcy C., born March 24, 1874. Mrs. Reynolds is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Myersburg. Mr. Reynolds is a Republican in his political preferments.
WILLIAM S. REYNOLDS, farmer, of Wysox township, P.O. Myersburg, was born, March 11, 1866, in Wysox, this county, a son of George F. and Malinda (Porter) Reynolds. He was reared on the farm, educated in the common school at Myersburg, and at Eastman’s Business College, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. He is now engaged in farming on a portion of the old homestead. Mr. Reynolds was married, October 17, 1888, to Miss Hattie M., daughter of Charles and Harriet (Strope) Brown, of Rome, and they have two children: Vivian Beatrice, born September 24, 1889, and Winton Llewellyn, born March 21, 1891. Mr. Reynolds is a supporter of every worthy public enterprise. In politics he is a Republican.
WILLIAM RICE, druggist, and physician and surgeon, Rome, was born in what in now Rome borough, this county, April 16, 1840, a son of Hiram and Amanda (Guernsey) Rice, the former of whom was a native of this county, born in Smithfield township, in 1809; the latter a native of Chenango county, N.Y. The father was first a printer, at Towanda, and edited the Northern Banner, the second newspaper ever published in Bradford county. This he abandoned, while yet a young man, and commenced to read medicine in the office of Samuel Huston, M.D., of Towanda; afterward attended a New York school of medicine, from which he graduated. After his graduation, he came directly to Rome, in 1837, and began the practice of medicine, which he followed here up to his death, which occurred in 1876, when he was aged sixty-seven years. He had a family of four children, viz.: William, Lizzie, Amanda and Charles; their mother died in 1888, aged eighty years. The early life of William was spent in Rome, where he attended the public schools, and, afterward, the academy at Towanda, and, having read the necessary time with his father, he entered Jefferson College, at Philadelphia, and was graduated in 1862. Returning at once to Rome, he was associated with his father in the practice of medicine for a few years. In 1864, he received the appointment of assistant-surgeon in the Union Army, and was acting surgeon of the Ninth Pennsylvania Cavalry, under Gen. W. T. Sherman, until the close of the war; he was with the Army of the West, when it made its famous march from Atlanta to the sea. During his service, he had charge of the Brigade Hospital, at Lexington, N.C., also the hospital at Durham, same State. At the close of the war, he returned home, and resumed the practice of medicine, which he has continued to the present day. In 1880, he opened a drug store, and he now carries a full line of drugs and medicines. The Doctor was married, May 1, 1862, to Emily V. Whitney, of Wysox township, and they have six children viz.: Frederick W., Nellie M., Robert G., Mary W., Willie and David. Of these, Nellie married U.G. Russell, and Robert married Margaruite Kilmer.
Dr. Frederick W. Rice, who has adopted his father’s profession, as well as studying and graduating in dentistry, was born in Rome, December 20, 1864, and received his education in the public schools of Rome borough. During his leisure hours, he clerked in his father’s