Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
History of Bradford County by Bradsby
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Return to Bradsby Table of Contents
Contact Joyce
Postcard from Joyce's Collection
Retyped by Janice Walker

History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches

By H. C. Bradsby, 1891

Biographical Sketches pp. 1045-1054
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just this Bradsby book by using the Bradsby button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page
sketch, was reared in Bradford county, educated at Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, and the Polytechnic College, Philadelphia. He has been a resident of Towanda since 1867, and for sixteen years has followed the business of a pension and patent attorney. He was in the Civil War, enlisting August 9, 1861, in Company K, Fiftieth Regiment P.V.I., and re-enlisted January 1, 1864. He was promoted to lieutenant and to captain of his company. He was wounded and taken prisoner at the battle of Spottsylvania Court House, was paroled and exchanged April 11, 1865, being for eleven months a prisoner-of-war; he was honorably discharged from the service July 31, 1865. Capt. Myer was married, in 1869, to Ella V., daughter of D. W. Brown, of Wyalusing, this county, and has three children, as follows: Harry W., Willie W. and Cecil B. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, the G. A. R., and the Union Veteran Legion, and he has served one term as surveyor of Bradford county; in politics he is a Republican.

WILLIAM G. MYERS, conductor on the L. V. R. R., residence Sayre, is a native of Sullivan county, N. Y., and was born May 22, 1850. His young life was a tragedy; his mother died when he was an infant, and from the best information he can get his father was killed by an accident when he (William G.) was about eighteen months old, and he was left alone in the wide world, with neither kith nor kin to claim him. Mr. Miles kept him until he was nine years of age, when the lad commenced to search for the whole story of his parents and relatives, trying to get some definite information in regard to them. He learned that his father had made arrangements with Mr. Miles (in case anything happened to him) that he was to take charge of him, and get his pay from the estate. At nine years of age young Myers started out to make his own living, without even having any of the advantages of school. He began work, the first year, for L. Hindman in the lumbering business, and followed that until 1867, when he went as a brakeman on the Erie Railroad, and worked on that line a short time; then went to breaking on the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad, and worked on that line about two years, when he returned to the Erie road and was there several years; in 1874, he went to braking on the L. V. R. R., was promoted to conductor, in June, 1881, and has held that position since. He had mastered by his own industry all the education necessary for the position. He was married, in Waverly, N. Y., December 20, 1877, to Dora Belle Tozer, daughter of Frank Tozer, natives of New York; she was the youngest in order of birth in a family of three children, and born in Waverly, N. Y., February 9, 1860, and died March 10, 1889, a most estimable wife, and a consistent member of the Baptist Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Myers were born four children, as follows: Frank T., Lizzie (deceased), George F. and Nellie D. Mr. Myers is a member of the K. of P., No. 101, Waverly; Equitable Aid Union, and Sexennial League. He is a Democrat.

A. J. NASH, proprietor of the “Mountain View House,” Canton, is a native of Winfield, Herkimer Co., N. Y., and was born October 31, 1842, a son of William S. and Jane (Maxum) Nash, natives of Lancashire, England, and Warren county, N. Y., respectively, of English and Scotch descent. William S. Nash came from England to Warren county, N. Y., when he was about eighteen years of age; he was a mechanic, and died in Steuben county, N. Y., in 1861, in his fifty-eight year. Mrs. Nash resides in Cohocton, Steuben Co., N. Y. A. J. Nash, who is fifth in order of birth in a family of seven children, was reared in Herkimer, Otsego and Steuben counties, N. Y. At the breaking out of the war, responding to a call of his country, he enlisted, May 16, 1861, in Company D, Twenty-third N. Y. V. I., from Elmira, N. Y., for two years, and re-enlisted, in 1864, in company C, One Hundred and Eleventh Regiment, N. Y. V. I. After enlisting in 1861, he was detached and put in Gibbon’s Fourth Artillery Regulars, on detached service. He participated in the following engagements: Battles of Bull run, Centreville, Fredericksburg, South Mountain, Antietam, Slaughter Mountain, and was wounded at Gravelly Run, Va., in April, 1865, and was sent to Douglass General Hospital, at Washington, where he was mustered out at the close of the war. He returned to Elmira, but removed to Blossburg, Pa., where he engaged in the boot and shoe business up to October, 1885; then removed to Norfolk, Va., and bought a truck farm four miles from the city. Here he remained one year, and then returned to Blossburg. In the spring of 1888, he removed to Roaring Branch, and engaged in the hotel business; was there until April 1, 1891, when he came to Canton, and took charge of the “Mountain View House.” Mr. Nash was married in Blossburg, Pa., in 1866, to Ellen R., daughter of John and Rebecca (Schriner) Evans, natives of Ireland and Tioga county, Pa., respectively; she was the youngest in a family of two daughters and one son, and was born in Blossburg, August 22, 1845. To Mr. and Mrs. Nash were born seven children: Fred B., Willard A., Charles A., Hester E., Jay Raymond (deceased), Jennie and Bella. Mr. Nash is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Blossburg Lodge, No. 350, A. Y. M.; also a member of the G. A. R., Ingham Post, No. 91. Politically he is a Democrat.

DANIEL C. NEWELL, cabinet-maker, Troy, was born in Cumberland, Md., March 5, 1841, a son of Lewis P. and Caroline M. (Webler) Newell, natives of Connecticut. His father was a millwright by trade, and in early life located in Armenia township, this county, remaining there several years. In 1839 he went to Cumberland, Md.; returned to Bradford county in 1859, and resided in Armenia township until 1890, when he removed to Tioga county, Pa.; where he now resides. Daniel C. Newell, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Cumberland, Md., and at the age of twenty he located in Troy, Pa., where he learned the cabinet-maker’s trade. He was in the Civil War, enlisting September 15, 1864, in Company K, Fifteenth New York Engineers, and was honorably discharged, June 13, 1865, after nine months’ service. He has resided in Troy township since 1861, and was married, March 23, 1864, to Betsy A., daughter of Timothy and Delia (Cowell) Case, of Troy, and they have two children: Fred W. and Grace M. Mr. Newell has been in the employ of L. H. Oliver, of Troy, twenty-two years; he is member of the G. A. R., and in politics is a Republican.

E. J. NEWELL, a prominent farmer of Sheshequin township, P. O. Hornbrook, was born January 26, 1829, in Sheshequin township, this county, on the farm now occupied by John Chaffee, and is a son of Stephen and Catherine (Cole) Newell, the former of whom was a native of Bradford county, and the latter of Kingston, N. Y. Grandfather Abel Newell came to this county from Connecticut about 1784, locating in the vicinity of Hornbrook, and lived here until his death; the grandmother’s maiden name was Sallie Wilcox; a portion of her family passed through the terrors of the Wyoming massacre. Stephen Newell was born in 1800, and passed his entire life on the farm now occupied by his son; he had ten children, viz.: Maria (died in infancy), David, John, Sallie (married to William Skinner, of Minnesota), Catherine (married to Joseph Keegan), William (died aged seventeen), Sylvie (married to George Frink, and died, leaving a family of three children), George (died aged seventeen), Mary (married to Ransom Horton) and E. J. Our subject’s early life was spent on his father’s farm, with only the average advantages of a farmer’s son. When twenty-six years old he commenced life for himself, managing his father’s farm, and then purchased part of what is now known as the Lige Horton farm, which he still owns; it contains sixty acres, and is a part of the old homestead. He married, August 3, 1854, Eliza, daughter of Abram and Caroline Patterson, and to this union came children as follows: Eva (married to Joel Horton, a teacher), Aline (married to C. A. Child, a merchant, of Franklyndale). Mrs. Newell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Newell is a member of the I. O. O. F., Valley Lodge, No. 446, and has passed all the chairs except No. 2; in politics he is a Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Newell have passed almost their entire lives in the neighborhood where they now reside, and are noted for their kindness and hospitality; and at their fireside the young people of the vicinity always find a welcome, and are sure to spend a pleasant time. Mrs. Newell, like her sister Mrs. Culver, has always been a great reader, and has a fine library.

J. J. NEWELL, farmer, surveyor and veterinary surgeon, Orwell, was born April 8, 1831, in the house he occupies, in Orwell township, this county, a son of James D. and Licena A. (Grant) Newell. J. J. Newell was born and reared on a farm, educated in the common schools and at Towanda Academy, and when seventeen years old began the study of surveying, under the instruction of Robert McKee, and after a few months he began surveying, which he has followed more or less constantly since. He took possession of his present farm in 1852. In 1857 he was elected county surveyor, has served nine years, and has probably done more surveying than any other man in the county, being noted for the thoroughness and accuracy of his work. Over twenty years ago he began the study of veterinary surgery, is now a registered doctor, and has an extensive practice, having been exceptionally successful. He owns one hundred and four acres of fine farm land, well stocked with cattle, sheep and horses. Mr. Newell has been twice married: the first time, December 29, 1852, to Charlotte Elsbree, who died August 31, 1857, and he then married, December 31, 1857, Amanda M. Cowles, daughter of William and Polly W. (Russell) Cowles, whose family consisted of four children, viz.: Amanda M., born July 19, 1832; John H., born December 5, 1834; Chester G., born October 15, 1836, and Mary E., born September 29, 1839, married to Charles Beers, of Orwell Hill, and died in 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Newell have had four children, as follows: Maggie St Leon, born June 29, 1860, died aged seven years; Willie E., born December 15, 1861, died the same week as his sister, both dying of diphtheria; Henry G., born June 13, 1868, and James W., born December 27, 1869. Henry G. has great mechanical ingenuity, and has made some useful inventions, among others an appliance for gearing on wind engines, which shows great ingenuity. The family are members of and active workers in the Presbyterian Church. Henry is also a member of Y. P. S. C. E., and an active worker in it. Mr. Newell is a stanch member of the Republican party.

DR. J. K. NEWELL, banker and State Senator, Towanda, is a native of Wysox township, this county, and was born July 28, 1843. His parents were Charles and Julia (Smith) Newell, natives of County Monaghan, Ireland. The Doctor is the fifth in the order of birth in a family of two sons and four daughters. He received his education in the public schools, and in the Wyoming Seminary at Kingston, Luzerne Co., Pa., studied dentistry at LeRaysville, this county, and in 1866 opened an office at Wyalusing, where he practiced his profession twenty-four years. He was elected, in 1884, State Senator in the Twenty-third District, composed of Bradford and Wyoming counties, and was re-elected in 1888, serving two full terms with distinguished ability and eminence. On January 1, 1890, he was elected cashier of the Citizens National Bank, his present position. Mr. Newell was married in Wysox, in 1874, to Miss Adelaide, daughter of Henry Passmore, and to them were born two sons: Henry P. and James M. (deceased). Dr. Newell is a member of the F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F., No. 808, Wyalusing, and is a Republican in politics.

ALBERT S. NEWMAN, merchant, P. O. East Smithfield, was born February 16, 1842, in Eaton, Wyoming Co., Pa., and came to Canton, this county, with his father, when four years of age. He is a son of Samuel H. and Abbie A. (Manley) Newman, natives of Pennsylvania. His father was a merchant, and he entered his father’s store, and when a young man went to Troy and clerked several years; then commenced in mercantile pursuits for himself, and remained there until 1880, when he came to East Smithfield. He was united in marriage, June 10, 1865, with Carrie, daughter of John and Eliza (Reynolds) McDougal, of Alba. There has come to them one daughter, Helen M., born February 16, 1867, now the wife of James H. Phillips, of Smithfield. Mr. Newman is a member of the I. O. O. F.; is a Republican, and takes an active interest in politics; has been a school director seven years. He has a fine farm of 140 acres, which he carries on besides his extensive mercantile interests, and raises stock for the market. Mr. Newman is very genial and agreeable gentleman, and is respected by a wide circle of friends; his wife is a consistent member of the Baptist Church.

HENRY T. NEWMAN, farmer, Warren township, P. O. Warren Centre. Many years ago three Newman brothers came to America in the ship “ May Flower;” one returned, another settled in Connecticut and the third in Rhode Island, and from the latter descended the Newmans of Bradford county, the link being traced by a son, Samuel Newman, a Presbyterian minister, of whose family not much is definitely known, except that he had a son, Jesse Newman. The latter died in 1814, and his widow died in 1820; of their children was Nathan Newman, who first married Mary Cole, and by her had three children; his second marriage was with Chloe Cole, and by her he had four children; his eldest son was John Newman (by the first wife), who married Sarah Taft, June 6, 1814, and removed to this county in 1819, in company with his brother Nathan, the transportation and possession being two yoke of oxen and a horse; they made their permanent home in Warren township, and boldly met the hard fate of all early pioneers. John Newman died March 20, 1863, and his widow, May 16, 1869; they had one child, who grew to maturity - Henry T., the subject of this sketch, who was born July 13, 1817. He was sixteen months old when the family came to this county, and was carried in his mother’s arms most of the way. These pioneers followed in the long way, through the forests, marking the trees, and it was literally in the wilderness that this child grew and imbibed his first lessons of life, and saw his parents commence the little clearing that eventually became the farm home. He remembers his first impressions, that this dear old farm was the center of the earth, and he felt genuine sorrow for the poor people that lived so far off as New York or London, supposing that they must be very lonesome so “far, far away from home.” He has become one of the most important farmers, and is proprietor of 250 acres of fine farm land. He was married, May 6, 1841, in Warren Centre, to Martha A. Bowen, daughter of George Bowen, and to this union were born two children, Sarah and David C. Sarah married Lewis N. Wade, of Owego, and has three children: George H., John W. and Louis D. Of these children, George H. married Bessie Root, and has one child, Edna A. This last introduces us to the seventh generation that have been looked upon by Henry T. Newman, who had but one ambition - to care for his family. Both ancestors and descendants have always voted the Republican ticket, and Mr. Newman, has in time past reluctantly filled the local offices of school director, assessor, clerk and auditor.

DAVID C. NEWMAN, farmer, of Warren township, P. O. Warren Centre, was born October 23, 1853, in Warren township, this county, a son of Henry T. and Martha A. (Bowen) Newman, whose sketch is given above. David’s sister, Mrs. Lewis N. Wade, resides in Owego, and has three sons: George H., an electrician and superintendent of electric lights in Atlanta, Ga.; John W., Jr., a dentist at Sao Paula, Brazil, S. A., and Louis D., a school lad. David C. Newman, the subject of the sketch, was reared on his father’s farm in Warren township, engaged in farming, and now owns a valuable farm of 150 acres. He was married at Little Meadows, in 1872, to Belle W., daughter of William P. and Jane (Carey) Arnold, natives of Pennsylvania. William P. Arnold is the son of Benedict Arnold, and his wife the daughter of Daniel A. Carey, better known as “Squire Carey,” as he had been justice over twenty years. Belle, the eldest of his children, was born, educated and married in the township. Mr. and Mrs. Newman had four children: Charles, born February 3, 1874; William, born June 9, 1876; Noah, born September 10, 1878, and Martha J., born April 5, 1880. Mr. Newman is a charter member of Sexennial League; has been town collector, and is a Republican in politics. Mrs. David Newman’s mother is widow, the father having died in 1887.

C. F. NICHOLS, justice of the peace, and ticket agent of the D. L. & W. R. R., Athens, is a native of Burlington, this county, and was born October 2, 1824. His parents were Earl and Ursula (Clark) Nichols, the former of whom, a native of Rutland, Vt., came to this county when quite young; the latter was a native of Burlington township. the father was a prominent farmer, and died on his farm in June, 1866, in his sixty-seventh year; Ursula Nichols died in 1885 in her eighty-fifth year. C. F. Nichols is the eldest in a family of five children, and was reared on a farm, receiving his early education in the common schools; then attended the academy at Waverly, one year, and Troy Academy, two years; was offered and accepted the principalship of the Bellefonte school one year; taught five years in Burlington village, and three years in the district school. He purchased a farm in 1851, and farmed until 1869, except the time he was in the army. He enlisted in August, 1864, in Company B, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Regiment, and was mustered out in Washington in May, 1865. In 1869 he entered the Towanda postoffice as clerk, where he remained two years; then was elected president of the Boss Fanning Mill Manufacturing Company, a position he held three years; after which he went to Kansas, and acted as newspaper correspondent about six months, and then returned home. In April, 1878, he visited McPherson city, Kan., whither he moved the following year, and purchased a farm of 160 acres, which he operated by hired help. He was elected and served four years as justice of the peace, and police judge. Returning, in the spring of 1884, to Elmira, he here remained about one year; was then appointed ticket agent of the D. L. & W. R. R. and removed to Towanda, where he remained until the spring of 1888 when he came to Athens. Mr. Nichols was married in Burlington, April 10, 1851, to Martha, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Lowe) Smith, natives of Orange county, N. Y.; she is the fifth in a family of eight children, and was born in Nichols, N. Y., February 9, 1824. To Mr. and Mrs. Nichols have been born four children, as follows: Ulysses A., deceased; Albert, a telegraph operator in Missouri; Maurice J., manager of the Western Union Telegraph, Cheyenne, Wyo., and Maria E., wife of L. H. Woodward, conductor on the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Mrs. Nichols is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Nichols was elected auditor of Bradford county in 1851, and elected to the State Legislature in 1856, and re-elected in 1857; has served twelve years as justice of the peace; was appointed sergeant-at-arms of the House of Representatives, in 1873; is a member of the G. A. R., Perkins Post, No. 200, and politically is a Republican.

JAMES W. NICHOLS, proprietor of meat-market, Athens, is a native of County Galway, Ireland, and was born March 17, 1853, a son of William and Winifred (Spellman) Nicholson, natives of Ireland. The father, who was a farmer, died in Ireland in 1864, in his fifty-fifth year; the mother is now a resident of Athens. P. H. Nicholson is the fifth in a family of ten children, of whom four are now living. He came from Ireland to Athens in 1870, and worked in the tannery six years; then followed the butchering business one year, after which he was in the furniture works until the spring of 1883, when he engaged in his present business. He was married in Jersey City, in May, 1881, to Miss Anna M. Rohan, who was born in County Clare, Ireland, in January, 1861, and to them were born four children, viz.: William E., John T., Mary and Winifred. They are members of the Catholic Church; Mr. Nicholson is a member of the Sexennial League and of the World Beneficial Association. Politically, he is a Democrat.

GEORGE W. NOBLE, farmer and dairyman, Wells, is a native of Chenango county, N. Y., and was born May 29, 1832, a son of Alonzo C. Noble, who was born in Schoharie county, N. Y., July 20, 1808. The parents of Alonzo C. Noble were Oliver and Thankful (Crosby) Noble (natives of Massachusetts and Dutchess county, N. Y., respectively), the former of whom, a tanner, currier and shoemaker, died in Cayuga county, N. Y., in the fall of 1839. Mrs. Thankful Noble died January 18, 1830, in her fiftieth year. Alonzo Noble’s grandfather, Aaron Noble, who was a native of Massachusetts and a captain in the Revolutionary War, died in Butternuts, N. Y. The paternal grandfather, Obediah Crosby, was a native of Dutchess county, N. Y. He was reared in Schoharie county, N. Y., until the age of seventeen years, when he went to Chenango county, N. Y., and remained there eight years; in May, 1833, he removed to Wells township, where he resided four years, and then proceeded to Broome county, N. Y., and was there two years, when he returned to Wells township. He lumbered in Springfield township, and resided there about one and one-half years; also lumbered in Tioga county, Pa., and resided there five years, since when he has resided in Wells township. He married, in Bainbridge, Chenango Co., N. Y., October 24, 1830, Aurelia Landers, daughter of Joseph and Deborah (Rider) Landers, natives of Massachusetts, whose family consisted of two sons and four daughters, of whom Mrs. Noble is the only one living, and was born in Bainbridge, Chenango county., N. Y., March 28, 1806. Joseph Landers was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Mr. Noble, although in his eighty-fourth year, is active, and has been a man of remarkable endurance; by industry and good management he has accumulated considerable property. Our subject, who is the eldest and only living child of two children, was reared in Chenango county, N. Y., until one year old, when the family removed to Wells township, this county, where he has since resided, except the times mentioned above, when he was with his father in the lumber business. Mr. Noble is one of the most successful farmers of the township, and is engaged extensively in the dairy business; is also a breeder of Jersey cattle; he owns a well-improved farm of 230 acres, and a timber lot of eighty acres. Mr. Noble was married in Southport, N. Y., in 1856, to Mary, daughter of John W. and Sarah Ann (Wyker) Pellett, native of Sussex county, N. J.; she is the eldest of two children living, and was born in Sussex county, N. J., February 28, 1837. To Mr. and Mrs. Noble were born two children: Ella, wife of Edward Joralemon, and Alonzo P., married to Helena Corry. The family are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Noble is member of Wells Grange, No. 524, and is now filling the office of justice of the peace, a position he has held fourteen years; he has served two terms as school director and nine years as auditor; politically he is a Democrat.

JOHN O’BRIEN, farmer, Ridgebury township, P. O. Wilawana, was born in Athens, this county, September 1, 1841, and is the youngest of the six children of John and Mary (Daley) O’Brien, natives of County Cork, Ireland. He began life for himself at nineteen, farming, which has been the chief occupation of his life. He enlisted at Elmira, June 5, 1861, in company D, Thirty-fifth N. Y. V. I., and participated in the battles of Second Bull Run (where he was taken prisoner), Fredericksburg, Antietam, Rapidan, White Sulphur Springs, Culpeper, Slaughter Mountain, and several others, also in the skirmishes at Fall’s Church, Ball’s Cross Roads and Arlington Heights. He was mustered out June 5, 1863, and then returned to Ridgebury, where he resumed farming on his present place. Mr. O’Brien was married, April 30, 1864, to Miss Ellen, daughter of Thomas and Catherine (McCarty) Chambers, of Ridgebury, natives of Ireland. They have had eight children, viz.: Thomas, born March 17, 1865; Frances, born September 30, 1867, and died May 17, 1870; Kittie, born August 5, 1868; John, born May 27, 18--, and died April 11, 1870; Mary, born March 16, 1875; William, born April 4, 1877; Nellie, born June 10, 1879, and Gertrude, born June 1, 1886. Mr. O’Brien and his family are members of the Catholic Church at Ridgebury, and in politics he has always been a Democrat.

JOSEPH OCHS, proprietor of “Ochs’ Hotel,” Towanda, was born at Rochester, N. Y., March 17, 1848, and is a son of Augustus and Theresa Ochs, natives of Baden, Germany, who came to America in 1848, settling in Rochester, N. Y., where they died. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native city, where he received a German and English education, and served an apprenticeship of three years at the shoemaker’s trade. On June 6, 1863, he enlisted in Company C, Sixteenth New York Cavalry, and was honorably discharged from the service October 3, 1865. In 1866 he located in Elmira, N. Y., where he worked at his trade three years; he then went to Chicago for eighteen months, St. Louis, six months, and in 1871 he came to Towanda, entering the employ of Humphrey Brothers & Tracy, shoe manufacturers, with whom he remained ten and one-half years; then embarked in the restaurant business, in which he was engaged six years; afterward kept the “Commiskey House,” three years, and in May, 1891, purchased the “Seeley House,” now known as “Ochs’ Hotel,” which he has completely refurnished, making, also, other improvements, and has since successfully conducted. Mr. Ochs married, September 29, 1875, Mary, daughter of James and Mary Nestor, of Towanda, and has two children: Frank and Nellie. Mr. Ochs is a member of the G. A. R., and in politics is an Independent.

EDWIN C. OLIVER (deceased) was born in New Jersey, February 19, 1816, a son of William and Mary (Carpenter) Oliver, and of English parentage. He was reared in his native State until fourteen years of age, and his early education was received under his mother’s instruction. On the death of his mother, in 1830, he located in Watkins, N. Y., there learned the cabinet-maker’s trade, and afterward, for sometime, worked as a journeyman in Elmira, N. Y.; in 1838 he settled in Troy, embarking in business for himself on a small scale, and succeeded by his indomitable energy in building up a business that eventually gave him a competency. He died in 1881 after a successful business career of forty-three years, honored and respected by all who knew him; he was the first burgess of Troy, having been elected to that office in 1845, and served as a justice of the peace of Troy several terms. His tastes were literary, and he was a critic of note. On September 5, 1838, he married Eliza M., daughter of Jabez H. and Rebecca (Wood) Beers, of Elmira, N. Y., by whom he had three children: Perry H., Ellen (Mrs. C. G. VanFleet) and Lyman H. Mr. Oliver was a prominent member of the I. O. O. F., and one of the charter members of Troy Lodge; in politics he was a stanch Democrat.

SEVELLON S. ORMSBY, postmaster, New Albany, born in Albany township, this county, within the limits of the present borough, August 15, 1838, is a son of Dyer and Charlotte (Wilcox) Ormsby, the former a native of Connecticut, who came to Bradford with two brothers, Daniel and Milton, in 1812. the father was a farmer and man of considerable political influence; was a justice of the peace; died at the age of seventy-nine; the mother was a native of Monroe township, and a daughter of Freeman Wilcox, one of the pioneers of the township and a soldier of the War of 1812; she died at the age of eighty-eight years. The subject of this memoir was reared as a farmer; in August, 1861, he responded to his country’s call for troops by enlisting in Company K, Fiftieth P. V. I., and was in active service nearly three years, when he was wounded by a gunshot in the left leg, below the knee, in the charge in front of Petersburg; the same day his leg was amputated in the field hospital. He remained in the service until June, 1865, after the close of the war, and is now a pensioner. Mr. Ormsby was married December 25, 1864, to Matilda Brown, of Albany township, and they have had three children, as follows: John B., a telegraph operator, married to Louise Arnt, of Scranton, Pa.; Ella Louise and Fred G. Mr. Ormsby is a member of G. A. R. and the I. O. O. F.; politically he is a Republican, and has been collector, constable and assessor of his township; is now postmaster at New Albany, which position he has held some time; he is much respected in the community.

DANIEL G. OSBORN, farmer and stock-grower, of Windham, Pa., P. O. Nichols, N. Y., is one of the leading citizens of Windham township, and a war veteran. He resides in the immediate vicinity of where he was born, February 26, 1839, and is a son of Peter and Rachel (Gardner) Osborn, natives of Orange county, N. Y., who came to Bradford county in 1827, locating in Windham township, and spent the remainder of their lives on their farm. The father died November 12, 1882, the mother September 24, 1852. Their family consisted of eight children, as follows: Elizabeth, Sarah (wife of Charles Johnson, a farmer of Windham, who died in 1861), Parmelia (wife of Job Bixby, who died in 1883), William (died April 25, 1890), Laura (wife of Peter Barnes, who died in 1850, and she married Jefferson Wait, of Nichols, N. Y.), Henry B. (a harness-maker in Evergreen), Richard (died in 1874, in Wisconsin, had been a soldier in the Fifth Regiment, New York Cavalry, Company G, returned from the army in broken health and never recovered), and Daniel G., whose name heads this sketch. the latter received his portion of his father’s estate, and purchased the interest of the other heirs in the homestead, and now owns 100 acres of highly improved land. He was married in LeRaysville, January 1, 1866, to Esther E. Russell, widow of Morgan Russell, and daughter of Martin V. B. and Abigal (Bidlack) Towner. Morgan Russell was killed in the battle of Chancellorsville, May 3, 1863; he and his brother lay side by side on the field. Daniel G. Osborn’s family was as follows: Millie A., Martin P., Lettie M. and Morgan D., and two children that died in infancy. Mr. Osborn enlisted in the cause of his country, in 1862, in the Seventeenth Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company D; went direct to Washington, then into Virginia, and his regiment was detailed on picket duty for two months on the Oquaqua river, when they were captured, December 28, 1863,

Joyce Tip Box -- December 2007 -
If you are not navigating this Tri-Counties Site via the left and right sidebars of the Current What's New page you are doing yourself a disservice. You can get to any place on the site easily by making yourself familiar with these subject and place topics. Try them all to be as familiar with the site's 16,000 plus pages as you can. Stop groping in the dark and take the lighted path. That's also the only way you'll find the search engines for the site or have access to the necessary messages I may leave for you. Make it easy on yourself.