History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Then attended a Collegiate Institute about four terms. In 1877 he went West, and was in the mining regions in Colorado and New Mexico for some time, then went to Emporia, Kans., where he received the contract for the stone work on the State Normal School at that place; returned in the spring of 1881, and was in the employ of the Lehigh Valley Railroad four years, and in May, 1885, he took charge of J. W. Carroll’s clothing and tailoring establishment in Athens. Mr. Maney was married in Towanda, this county, in 1881, to Miss Margaret E. McDonald, who was born in Buenos Ayres, South America, in 1858, and to this union have be born two children – Lizzie and Mary. Mr. Maney served in the State Militia four years; in politics he is a Republican.
SAMUEL N. MANLEY, farmer and stock-dealer, P.O. Granville Centre, was born in Troy township, this county, August 9, 1842, and is a son of Darius R. and Sophia A. (Merwin) Manley. His paternal grandfather, Darius Manley, was a native of Connecticut, and was among the first settlers in Troy township, where he cleared and improved a farm, and there died; his first wife was Miss Phelps, by whom he had children as follows: D. Randolph, Charles, Abel, Gilson, Sally (Mrs. Marcus Gillam), Abby (Mrs. Samuel Newman), and Almira (Mrs. Thomas Stull); by his second wife, Susan (Loomis), he had two children, Ebenezer L. and Susan (Mrs. Iram Wilson). The father of our subject was a farmer by occupation, and died in Troy township; his children were: Darius, Matthias, Scott, Polly A. ( Mrs. Valentine Saxton), Ellen, Samuel N., Theodore, Charles, Frank, Ida (Mrs. F. C. Packard), Belle (Mrs. A. C. Smith) and Jessie. Samuel N. Manley was reared in Troy township, and received a common-school education. He was a soldier of the civil War, enlisting August 31, 1864, in Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers, and was honorably discharged June 15, 1865. After his return home he located in Troy, where he was in the restaurant business three years; then located in Granville, where he was engaged in the mercantile business twenty-two years, fifteen years as a member of the firm of Taylor & Manley. He has also been engaged in farming and stock-dealing, and is the present postmaster at Granville Centre. Mr. Manley married, December 22, 1869, Ella, daughter of Luman D. and Matilda (Holcomb) Taylor, of Granville, and has six children: Walter, Luman, Belle, Matilda, Taylor and Ida. He is a member of the Church of Christ, of the F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., and G. A. R. In politics he is a Republican.
ULYSSES J. MANLEY, of Grohs & Manley, grocers, Troy, was born in Troy borough, this county, May 23, 1849, a son of Thomas S. and Lucy (Taylor) Manley. His paternal grandparents, Thomas and Betsey (Wright) Manley, were natives of near Hartford, Conn., and were among the first settlers of Canton township, where they cleared and improved a farm, and resided until their death. Their children were: Lucinda (Mrs. S. H. Fitch), Lavina (Mrs. Joseph Lindley), Clara (Mrs. Henry Baxter), Marian (Mrs. Charles Stephens), Jane (Mrs. Jesse Stalford), Achsa (Mrs. B. S. Scott), Mercia (Mrs. Edward Woodhouse), Ann (Mrs. William Lawrence), Thomas S. and Sylvester. Thomas S., father of Ulysses J. Manley, was born in Connecticut, was a wagon-maker by trade, and began his career as a wagon manufacturer in Troy, in which business he continued for several years; then taught school at East Canton, and for the past thirty years has been engaged in farming in Canton township. He is a breeder of thoroughbred Jersey cattle. His wife was a daughter of Allen and Olive (Stephens) Taylor, of Troy township, and by her he had eleven children: Lawrence, Ulysses J., Rollan, Lydia (Mrs. Arthur Mason), Listen, Sarah (Mrs. Sumner Lilley), Jennie (Mrs. Eugene Chubbuck), Lulu Clara, Joel and Julia. Ulysses J. Manley, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Canton township, and educated at Troy public schools and Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, at Towanda. He began life for himself as a telegraph operator, which occupation he followed five years; after which he engaged in the dray and express business, in Troy, for eight years. In 1886, he embarked in the general merchandise business, In Troy, as a member of the firm of Lamkin, Bloom and Manley, and continued in that until 1888, when he became a member of the firm of Grohs & Manley, grocers, in which he has since continued. He married, November 5, 1873, Jennie, daughter of Andrew and Cynthia (Holcomb) Spaulding, of LeRoy, this county, by whom he has one son, Ray B. Mr. Manley is a member of the Presbyterian Church and I. O. O. F.; he has served as burgess of Troy borough one term, and as councilman three years; in politics he is a Republican.
P. J. MANN, Camptown, was born in Smithfield township, Monroe Co., Pa., June 29, 1845, a son of Henry and Harriet (Blood) Mann, the former of whom was born in Germany, and the latter in Connecticut. The father, who was a farmer, was born March 31, 1807, and was brought, when one year old, to America by his parents, who located in New Jersey, and then removed to this county, settling in Terry township, in April 1854. They are still living, and have had a family of eleven children (eight of whom survive): John, a farmer of Wyalusing; Sarah, married to B. T. Allen, a farmer in Terry township; George W., a mechanic, of Sugar Run; Catherine and Rhoda (both deceased); Amzi, a mechanic, of Binghamton; Ellen, married to Nelson White, a farmer in Terry township; P.J.; Matilda (deceased); Susan, married to William Farr, of Wyalusing, and Lydia, married to Henry Avery, a farmer, of Wilmot; three of the sons were in the service; George, in Battery B, Fifth United States Artillery; Amzi, in the One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I.; and P.J. The subject of these lines was born and reared on a farm, and educated at the common schools. When eighteen years of age, March 28, 1864, he enlisted in Company K, Fifty-first P. V. I., and was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna and Cold Harbor, where he received a gunshot wound through the right ankle; was carried from the field to the hospital at Philadelphia, and was there and on furlough one year; then was transferred to Chestnut Hill Hospital, and received his discharge June 2, 1865; the wound has never properly healed, and has caused muscular atrophy of the entire limb. After coming home, Mr. Mann entered the employ of John Bidleman, a harness-maker of Towanda, and learned the trade, working with him three years; then returned home, and farmed five years; after which he opened a shop in Terrytown, this county, where he remained a short time, then came to Wyalusing, where he worked three years, when he opened a shop in Laceyville. The next four years were spent, first in Camptown, and afterward in New Albany, but he returned to Camptown, and has since made that his home. In 1890 he built and opened the Wyalusing Valley Poultry Yard, purchasing a "perfect hatcher and brooder," where he produces many different breeds. Mr. Mann was married January 1, 1878, to Clara E. Bump, of Camptown, and they have three children: Earl J., born October 7, 1882; Mark S., born May 3, 1886, and Laura H., born February 10, 1891. Mr. Mann is a member of Hurst Post, G. A. R., No. 86; politically is a Republican.
J. M. MARR, chief of police, Wyalusing borough, was born in Philadelphia, March 15, 1845, a son of George and Mary (Murray) Marr, who came from Ireland, and were married in Philadelphia. The father immigrated to this country when a boy of seventeen or eighteen years of age, coming direct to Philadelphia; he became an engineer, and from Philadelphia he and his wife moved to Wyalusing township, thence to Wyoming county, and thence to Williamsport, where the father died in the winter of 1871, aged sixty-one; the mother had died in 1885. Their family consisted of the following named children: Margaret, married to Patrick Burk, a mechanic, in Williamsport; Mary, married to Patsey Carney, of Williamsport; Ellen, married to Thomas Duffy, a lumberman, of Williamsport; Alice; George, who went to Minnesota, where he was lost; Katie, in Williamsport; Ora, who died in infancy; J. M. and James. His parents having left Philadelphia when the subject of this sketch was a small boy, he went to live with a relative in Lovelton, where he attended school, remaining there several years, then rejoined his parents at Terrytown. When seventeen years old, he enlisted, January 25, 1864, in Company K, Fifty-first P. V. V. I., and was in the following engagements: the battle of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Cold harbor, White House Landing, Petersburg, where, June 19, 1864, in the line of battle, he was wounded three times; first, by gunshot, which took of the forefinger of the left hand, and afterward received fleshwounds in the left shoulder and right hip. He was then taken to Harwood Hospital, Washington, D. C., where he remained till July 4, when he came home on furlough, but, being taken sick, had his furlough extended thirty days; was then transferred to the Invalid Corps, and was discharged, December 20, 1864 on account of disability, being disqualified, after his return, for manual labor for one and a half years; then, partially recovering, he following teaming, but is now retired. Mr. Marr was married, September 18, 1859, to Priscilla J. Corsin, of Terrytown, and they have three children: Ada (married to Henry Hall, of Wyalusing), Margaret and Emma. This wife dying, February 25, 1884, Mr. Marr married, September 13, 1890, Mrs. Hannah A. Camp, widow of T. B. Camp, and a daughter of Mason Brown, of Wyalusing; she had three children by her former marriage: Walter, Robert (deceased) and Emma. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Marr is a member of the G. A. R., Jackson Post, No. 74; politically he is a Republican, and was elected chief of police in 1890, and re-elected in 1891, both times unsolicited.
HON. J. H. MARSH, real estate broker, Wyalusing, was born May 7, 1822, and is a son of William and Martha (Nichols) Marsh. His father came to this county, September 7, 1817, and settled in Pike township. The first of the family to come to America was William Marsh, Sr., a native of England, who immigrated to Connecticut in early Colonial times, but of his family little is known; he had a son, Thomas, born in Connecticut, who married there and reared a family, of whom nearly all traces have been lost; his son Elihu, married Sarviah Abby, and had a son, Joseph (the grandfather of Hon. J. H. Marsh), who married Abigail Waldo, and was the father of the following children: William (father of Hon. J. H. Marsh), born January 15, 1783, and died in his seventy-fifth year; Hannah, born September 10, 1785; Sarviah, born April 30, 1787; Arabella, born February 2, 1789; Waldo, born April 18, 1791; Allen, born January 8, 1797; Abigail, born August 18, 1799, and Holeman, born April 28, 1802. William was the only one who came to this county; he was twice married, first to Rachel Nichols, by whom he had the following children: Elliott, born November 14, 1802, died in 1853, who was a manufacturer of safes; Wealthy, born October 18, 1804, married to E. B. Mints, farmer of Herrick, she died in 1864; Cordelia, born January 12, 1806 (she was also the wife of E. B. Mints, and died in 1826); Amy, born January 26, 1808, married to M. D. F. Hines, a farmer of Herrick, and died in 1870. William M. Marsh was married, the second time, to Martha Nichols, a sister of his first wife, by whom he had the following children: Rachel, born March 2, 1811, married to John Bowles, a farmer and carpenter, of Pike, and died in 1876; Lois, born January 2, 1813, married to Davis D. Black, a farmer, of Tuscarora; Aden, born March 19, 1814, resided in Pike township until his death in 1846; Lucy, born April 19, 1816, married to Daniel C. Miller, a farmer of Wilmot, where they resided until her death, in 1882; Joseph H., born May 7, 1822; Isaac, born December 21, 1825, of Rome borough; Hannah, born April 24, 1832, married Gould Stevens, and removed to Carroll county, Ill., where she died in 1856. Mrs. Wm. Marsh died in the winter of 1856. Wm. Marsh was a farmer and purchased a large body of land, upon his arrival in this county, which he cleared and fitted for cultivation. On this farm, Joseph H. Marsh, the subject of this sketch, was born and reared, with the only advantages offered to a boy of those times. Procuring a store of knowledge, he laid the foundation for that practical business education that was to render him a successful man in later years; when sixteen years old he began his apprenticeship to learn the carpenter’s and joiner’s trade, served two years, then started out for himself, and devoted his attention exclusively to his trade, until about 1843, when he purchased a farm in Herrick township; he then combined farming with his trade until 1847, when he sold his farm, and for one year worked at his trade in New Haven, Conn. Returning to this county he purchased the old homestead in Pike, where he turned his attention to farming for the next nineteen years; then he purchased a farm close to LeRaysville, and, moving onto it, combined farming with tanning and harness making. He was there about seven years, then moved to Wyalusing, where, in 1873, he purchased a tract of land and started a furniture manufactory. After being in business here two years, and just getting matters on a solid foundation, his factory, which was filled with furniture, was entirely destroyed by fire, which left him with his life over half gone, and his fortune, acquired by years of unremitting toil, swept away. Without repining at his loss, he sold the residue of his real estate, and again returned to Pike, purchasing a small farm, and beginning anew; after a short time spent on that farm, he traded it for a larger one, containing 265 acres, which he still owns; he resided there from 1878 to 1886, when he returned to Wyalusing, where he purchased a tract of land, which he laid out in town lots, and opened his real-estate office, in which business he has since continued. Besides his farm in Pike, he owns handsome residence in Wyalusing, also the Wyalusing Creamery building, and many valuable town lots.
Mr. Marsh has been three times married: the first time, on May 28, 1842, to Eliza A. Stevens; she died childless, January 15, 1846, and Mr. Marsh afterward married, January 17, 1848, Harriet Lines, of New Haven, by whom he had one child, W. D., born November 20, 1848, who married Flora Welle, of Pike. This second wife dying, November 20, 1848, he married, July 3, 1851, Sarah M. Carry, and had two children: Hattie L., born December 2, 1856, and Langdon H., born January 7, 1860, who married Ella McCauley, and resides on his father’s farm in Pike. Mr. Marsh is a stanch Republican in politics, and has held various town and borough offices. In the fall of 1863 he was elected a member of the State Legislature, and was re-elected in 1864; during the second term the bill introduced in the Senate by Jake Ridgeway, of Philadelphia, to charter the New York & Pennsylvania Canal and Railroad Company, passed in the House, owing its passage to his successful engineering. The same session he advocated and voted for the constitutional amendment to abolish slavery in the United States. The people, having unbounded confidence in his judgment and integrity, again elected him to represent Bradford county in the Lower House, in 1881, where he served two years. The family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church, to which he has always been a liberal contributor; he is an active Freemason. He is one of the best representatives of the successful business men the county has produced; starting in life with nothing but energy, good judgment and industry, he accumulated a considerable fortune, which was swept away; but now, having almost reached the autumn of life, he has accumulated a handsome competency, and is, to-day, one of Bradford’s solid men. In connection with other business interests he has been executor and administrator of many estates; has had many wards entrusted to his guardianship, always giving perfect satisfaction and commanding the esteem and trust of all for his careful management.
REV. JAMES A. MARTIN, resident priest, Overton, is a native of Providence, R. I., born April 25, 1853, and is a son of Christopher and Eliza (Sheridan) Martin, natives of County Tyrone, Ireland. The father was a mechanic and liveryman who immigrated to America in 1820, located in Providence, which he made his permanent home in the country of his adoption, and died there in 1886, his wife having preceded him to the grave in 1876. Their family consisted of eleven children, of whom the subject of this brief sketch is the eighth. His educational training was received in the schools of his native place, and then with the Christian Brothers, completing his literary course at the higher schools of, first at St. Lawrence College, Montreal, then at St. Bonaventure Seminary and College of Allegany, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y., and then pursued his theological course until ordained a priest, when he was assigned, by the Bishop, to the charge of the parish at Towanda; from there he was sent to Athens, then to Susquehanna, then to the cathedral at Scranton, and from there to his present charge at Overton. He has in his charge a congregation of 475 souls. His pious and gentle ministrations have contributed much to make this one of the favored congregations of the Mother Church. He is a faithful shepherd, relieving distress, and ministering, at all seasons, to the weary and afflicted; beloved by the children of the Church, and respected greatly by all to whom he is known.
HIRAM MASON, farmer, of South Creek township, P. O. Bentley Creek, was born in Hamden, Delaware Co., N. Y., May 19, 1808, a son of William and Lydia (Payne) Mason, the former a native of Ireland, the latter of Connecticut. William Mason came to this country early in life, and located in Delaware county, N. Y., where he engaged in farming. His life, like that of all other farmers, had been uneventful; he reared a family of five children – three daughters and two sons – who grew to maturity, and two are now living. Hiram is the third in the family, and is now in his eighty-third year; he was reared and educated in Hamden, N. Y., and when twenty-two years of age removed to Columbia township, where he lived thirty years, then removed to South Creek, after selling his farm in Columbia township, and bought one of 100 acres, which he has since added to until it has attained the proportions of 250 acres. When Mr. Mason removed to this county it was very thinly settled, but by hard labor, economy and perseverance, he succeeded in making for himself and his posterity a beautiful home. At the age of twenty-three he married Jane, daughter of Peter and Diadana Furman, on January 12, 1832, at Columbia, and this union resulted in the birth of three sons and three daughters, all of whom grew to maturity, and four of them are now living, as follows: Emily, Furman, Walter and Laura, and all of whom are married and prosperous. Mr. Mason has lived a long and useful life, enjoying the full confidence of his fellow citizens, and has held the offices of town commissioner, auditor and school director; he is a general farmer, but makes a specialty of dairying; his stock is of the celebrated Jerseys, and registered; he also grows wool to some extent. J. H. Mason, his grandson, who works the farm, married Sarah McKee, and they have two sons, Arthur and John; politically, the voters of the family are Democratic.
JAMES G. MASON, farmer, P.O. West Franklin, was born in Delhi, Delaware Co., N. Y., March 4, 1830, a son of Robert and Agnes (Martin) Mason, the former a native of Delaware county, the latter of Scotland, a daughter of Joseph Martin, who came to this country about 1808, when she was four years old (she was born February 11, 1804). Robert Mason was born August 28, 1802. In 1833 he removed from Delhi to Armenia (then Troy), where, in conjunction with his trade of carpenter and joiner, he carried on farming; he purchased 300 acres which was then a wilderness, and at that time there were only twelve families in what is now called Armenia. In the spring of 1864, after a residence of thirty years in Armenia, Robert Mason removed to LeRoy, where he died, March 31, 1875. He reared a family of four children – one daughter and three sons; Jane M., John H., James G., Robert, Jr., all of whom are living. Of these, James G. was reared and educated at Armenia and Canton, and when a young man he learned the brick-maker’s trade, which he successfully followed fifteen years, after which he gave his attention to farming. On January 1, 1851, he was married, at Armenia, by his father, who was then justice of the peace, to Miss Jane, daughter of Isaac and Experience Williams. By this marriage seven children were born – two sons and five daughters – as follows: Alma, Margaret, Agnes, Mary, George (deceased), William H. and Frankie, all married except the latter. Mr. Mason purchased a farm in LeRoy township, which he traded for the old homestead, in Armenia, to his brother; sold the old homestead, and, in 1871, removed to Franklin, where he now resides. In 1864 he entered the army, attaching himself to Company I, Fifteenth New York Volunteer Engineers, serving until the close of the war, during which time he received a sun-stroke which disabled him for life, and he now draws a pension. Mr. Mason has 130 acres of fertile land, with cropping of coal at various points, and is a general farmer. He is a Republican, politically, and at present holds the office of town commissioner; is a member of the Church of Christ, of the F. & A. M., and of the Grange.
ROBERT MASON, farmer, LeRoy Centre, was born in Delaware county, N. Y., October 18, 1832, a son of Robert and Agnes (Martin) Mason, the former born in New York State, on the Delaware river, the latter in Scotland. The father, who was a carpenter of some note, at the age of five years was lost for three days, during which time the woods were searched by a hundred men, who found him, and returned him uninjured to the anxious parents. He came to this county in 1834, located in Armenia township, where he engaged in the millwright and carpenter’s trade; his family consisted of three sons and one daughter, who grew to maturity, our subject being the fourth in the family. He was educated in his native town, and has followed farming. When twenty-six years of age he married Samantha A., daughter of Richard and Julia Ann Montgomery, of Armenia, and this union was blessed with five children, all of whom grew to maturity, as follows: Jennie, Ernest M., Carrie D., Julia A. and Ruby. Mr. Mason is a prosperous farmer, living in a beautiful residence in LeRoy Center; he is a member of the Grange, and politically is a Republican.
WALTER MASON, farmer, P.O. Gillett, born in Columbia township, Bradford Co., Pa., May 15, 1835, is a son of Hiram and Jane (Furman) Mason, the former of whom was born in Hamden, Delaware Co., N.Y., the latter near Columbia Cross Roads. Hiram Mason is a farmer of large experience, and one of the early settlers. About the year 1830 he removed from Hamden, N.Y., to Columbia township, this county, where he lived about thirty years; then came to South Creek township, where he now resides. His farm, which at that time consisted of 100 acres, has grown to be now 250 acres. He is the father of six children, all of whom grew to maturity, and four are yet living. Mrs. Jane (Furman) Mason died in 1887, aged seventy-two years. Walter Mason, who is the fourth in the family, was reared and educated in Columbia townships; and, when a lad of fourteen years, he came to Gillett. At the age of thirty, in 1866, he married, at Troy, Maria, daughter of Benjamin and Saloma Inman, and by this union there were born six children, four of whom are now living, viz.: Cora, Jane (married to Samuel Seafuse), Saloma and Bertha. In 1862 Mr. Mason enlisted in Company G, One hundred and Seventy-first P. V. I., and after serving one year was honorably discharged; he then entered the First Construction Corps, Gang B, in which he served one year, and was again honorably discharged. Mr. Mason follows general farming successfully, but pays more especial attention to dairying. He has held the office of school director ten years; is a member of the G. A. R. and also of the Grange; politically he is a Republican.
JAMES MATHER, merchant, Ulster, was born in Ulster, this county, May 29, 1840, and is a son of John and Agnes (Jackson) Mather, natives of Scotland. He was educated at Ulster, and at the Collegiate Institute, Towanda, attending the latter two years, and then commenced teaching school, which he followed four years; afterward, with his father-in-law (E. B. Tuttle), he opened the Exchange Hotel in Ulster, which he carried on five years. In 1874, he began merchandising, carrying a general assortment of goods, his stock being valued at $2,500, and the business has prospered well under his management. Mr. Mather was married, December 4, 1864, to Arlette E. Tuttle, daughter of E. B. and Lucinda (Horton) Tuttle, of Sheshesquin, this county, of which place the parents wee natives. The fruit of this marriage is one child, Fred. E. Mr. Mather is a Knight of the Golden Cycle, is a member of the Republican party, and is treasurer of the school board; was postmaster at Ulster for eleven years, appointed in 1876; was also town clerk several years.
JOHN MATHER, Ulster, was born July 8, 1824, in Renfrewshire, Scotland, the son of John and Agnes (Jackson) Mather. The father immigrated to this country in 1829, and located in Ulster; the family consisted of seven children, John and Agnes (both born in Scotland) and Andrew (deceased), Thomas, William, Eliza (deceased) and James (born in this county). Agnes married William McQueen, of Pittsburgh; the others live in this county. John Mather, the subject of our sketch, was reared on a farm and received his education in the Ulster schools; when twenty-one years of age he gave up farming and engaged in a general store in Ulster, and was also in the lumber trade at the same time; in 1862 he received an appointment in the Treasury Department, Washington, D. C., and remained in that office until 1886. He was married in 1847, to Susan Conklin, of Newark Valley, N.Y., and they had one child, which died in infancy. His wife died in Washington City, in 1886. In religion Mr. Mather is a Presbyterian, and socially he is a Royal Arch Mason, and is attached to Federal Lodge, No. 1, and Eureka Chapter No. 4, of Washington, D. C.
JOHN C. MATHER, farmer and stock-grower, Ulster township, P.O. Ulster, a son of Thomas and Rachel (Middaugh) Mather, was born in Ulster, August 28, 1860. He attended the public schools of Ulster borough and received a good English education. He married, March 12, 1884, Mary, daughter of G. B. and Delphine (Shaw) Rodgers, and they have two children, Edna, born August 3, 1886, and Lillian, born June 17, 1888. Mr. Mather is a member of the Golden Cycle and fills the chair of speaker; in politics he is a Republican. He resides on the old homestead and farms the same, in connection with his father and uncle William.
WILLIAM MATHER, farmer and stock-raiser, Ulster township, P. O. Ulster, was born in Ulster township, this county, October 24, 1833, a son of John and Agnes (Jackson) Mather, natives of Renfrewshire, Scotland, who immigrated to this country, and settled on the farm their son William now occupies, arriving a short time before his birth. Our subject received his education in the Ulster schools, attending until he was twenty-one years old, and receiving a good English education. The farm he now occupies is the old homestead, containing 320 acres, which has never been partitioned, and is managed by him in connection with his brother Thomas, and nephew, John C. Mather; the residence on the farm occupied by him was built by his father, in 1830, but the other buildings built by his father were entirely destroyed, as were the orchards and a large portion of the timber, by a cyclone which swept through the lower portion of the valley, in 1884; the present farm buildings have been built by the members of the family since that time, which are all on the modern and improved style – large and commodious; he has also a fine dairy and twenty cows. The only mineral wealth of the farm consists of a stone quarry, which is not open at present. Nearly one-half the farm is wood-land, and bears a magnificent growth of white pine, oak and chestnut. Mr. Mather is a bachelor. He is a member of the Golden Cycle, No. 158, and in politics is a Republican, having cast his first presidential vote for John C. Fremont, in 1856.
NATHANIEL H. MATTOCKS, farmer, P.O. Springfield, born September 19, 1822, in Springfield township, this county, in the house where he now resides, is a son of James, Jr., and Isabella (Harkness) Mattocks, the former of whom was born in Kingsbury, Washington Co., N.Y., December 17, 1796; removed to Springfield township, this county, with his father, Capt. James Mattocks, in 1806, when ten years of age, when there were not more than eight or ten families in Springfield. Capt. Mattocks was descended of English ancestry. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and a man of great influence; he was a captain in the militia; a justice of the peace over thirty years; a carpenter, general mechanic and farmer, and in his Christian principles was a strong Universalist; he died July 12, 1858, at the age of eighty-eight years. James Mattocks, Jr., the father of subject who was a carpenter, and an extensive contractor, continued in that line until 1846, after which time he devoted himself to farming; he died April 7, 1887, at the age of ninety-two years. Mr. Mattocks; mother was born at Granville, Washington Co., N. Y., October 15, 1798, removed to Springfield township, this county, in 1810; and died January 11, 1876, at the age of seventy-six years. Nathaniel H. Mattocks is the eldest in a family of five children, and is the only survivor. He followed the trade of wagon-maker for thirty years, having commenced it in 1847, and then took up farming. He owns a fine farm of eighty-five acres. Mr. Mattocks was in the Civil War in the One Hundred and Thirty-second P. V. I., and participated in the battles of South Mountain and Antietam, Md., and Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville, Va.; afterward he joined the New York Engineers, and in 1864-65 was at City Point, and saw the last shots fired in front of Petersburg, Va., from Steadman. Mr. Mattocks was married, April 18, 1853, to Elizabeth Huson, who was born May 7, 1821, and they have had one son, Frank H., born June 10, 1854, who has been a merchant, but at present is a farmer. Mr. Mattocks was first a Republican, but is now an Independent. He is a member of the G. A. R., and a pensioner of the Civil War; he is a great temperance man; a genial gentleman and a good neighbor.
THOMAS MAXWELL (deceased), a son of Hector and Irene Maxwell, was born in Elmira, N.Y., November 1, 1822. When twelve years of age he entered the store of Mr. Tuttle, at Elmira, settled in Troy, and engaged in business where the Pomeroy Bros’. Bank now stands. In 1851 he formed a partnership with H. S. Leonard, in which he continued two years. In 1857 he again entered into partnership with H. S. and S. M. Leonard, and, as Maxwell, Leonard & Bros., continued in general merchandising until 1862, when the business was sold to S. M. Leonard, and the firm of Maxwell & Leonard engaged in the produce business until the fall of 1866. In 1855, soon after the completion of the railroads at Troy, he became station agent, continuing in same for a year; then spent some time in Savannah, Ga., in business with Mr. Horace Morse. In 1866 the firm of Redington, Maxwell & Leonard was formed, and they erected the store now occupied by H. S. Leonard & Son, in which they opened, October 20, of that year, as dealers in general merchandise, continuing until 1874, when Mr. Maxwell retired from active business. Mr. Maxwell always took an active part in the public affairs of Troy, was a member of the council for several terms, and was a prominent Mason and Odd Fellow. A man of sterling character and business capacity, he was honored and respected by all who knew him. He died September 23, 1875. His wife was Eliza A., daughter of Orrin P. and Eliza A. (Spalding) Ballard, of Troy, to whom he was married, September 18, 1850, the issue of the union being two children: Fannie E. (Mrs. McKean Long) and William P.
WILLIAM P. MAXWELL was born June 20, 1864, and was educated in the public schools of Troy and the academy of Chester, Pa., graduating as a civil engineer in 1884. In February, 1885, he embarked in the drug business in Troy, as a member of the firm of Stuart & Maxwell, in which he has since successfully continued. On January 3,