Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Memories Along the North Branch
Memories Along the North Branch
History of Granville

(in Bradford County PA)

Tri-Counties Genealogy & History Sites
How To Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Granville Township Page
Table of Contents - Memories of Granville
No Commercial Use
Say Hello to Joyce 

By Ruth Kinney

Retyped by Linda Selub & Christine Keel
Photos by Joyce M. Tice October 31, 1999

Chapter IX

The Old Cider Mill

This little poem was written by Maude Porter, a resident of Granville for many years. It is printed with the permission of her daughter of Troy, Pa., Mrs. Florence Mitchell.

Old Cider Mill

When the days are dark and dreary

And the nights are cold and long,

You will hear the cider mill grinding

And singing a happy song.

At half past four in the morning

The grinder will arise

To do his daily milking

While his wife is baking pies.

When both are finished with their chores

To the cider mill they go

To grind the rosy apples

And watch the cider flow.

The loads of apples keep coming

Till you think they’ll never stop.

The farmers wait for their cider

Until they get every drop.

From all around the country-side

They come to the cider mill

Some with barrels and bottles

Some with jugs to fill.

Another year will soon be over

For cider pressing at the mill,

The grinder and wife will take a rest

And leisurely do their work at will.

The cider mill in this poem was owned and operated by John and Matie Bailey on their farm for many years. This mill was across the little creek directly behind the Bailey Corners Church. After the Bailey farm was sold to George and Elizabeth Ward, the mill was torn down.

John W. Bailey, son of Jefferson and Sarah Mason Bailey, was born May 25, 1869, in the home where he lived his entire life. He was marrried to Matie Rockwell, the daughter of Sylvester and Wealtha Rockwell. Louise Williams of Bloomsburg, Pa. Is a daughter of the Baileys. Mr. Bailey died November 25, 1940. The home of the Baileys was a truly beautiful residence, a landmark of the early days, much larger than it is today. At one time it was used as a hotel and a meeting hall. In the rear of the home was a large apartment that was occupied by Mr. Bailey’s sister Julia. The rear part of the home was torn off when remodeled by the Ward family.

Also on the Property was a small shed-like barn built across the little creek that flows in back of the house.
Tri-Counties Genealogy Sites Granville Township Page Kinney Table of Contents Tri-Counties Online Research Library

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 10/30/99
By Joyce M. Tice