|
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford
County PA
|
|
|
1908 Postcard of Mitchell House in Troy
contributed by Creig Crippen
|
|
|
|
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in
Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by
TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette
Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE
HISTORY of Tioga and
Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben,
Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND
CITIES"
|
TROY TOWNSHIP AND
BOROUGH
Troy township was formed in the year 1815, taken
from Burlington. Troy borough was formed from Troy township, by an act of
the Legislature of May 14, 1845. The township of Troy is bounded on the
north by Columbia and Springfield, on the east by West Burlington, on the south
by Granville and Canton, on the west by Armenia. The township and boro of
Troy are situated on the head waters of Sugar Creek, on the line of the Northern
Central railroad, about twenty-five miles south of Elmira, N. Y. The
township is distinguished for its fine farms and the excellent quality of its
dairy productions. Troy borough is one of the neatest and cleanest
in northern Pennsylvania, and distinguished for its elegant private residences,
business places, its public schools and churches, its fire department, its
public press, its manufactories, and the enterprise and wealth of its citizens.
It is a half shire and the courts of Bradford county are held semi-annually at
Troy. It is also distinguished for being one of the great centers, and
shipping points for butter and cheese, of western Bradford.
Its early settlers were Elihu Smead, Aaron Case,
Moses Case, Joseph Wills, Thomas Backer, Samuel Rockwell, Nathaniel Allen,
Horace Spalding, Reuben Case, John Barber, Caleb Williams, Samuel Case, Doct
Rowley, Uel Porter, John Porter, Reuben Wilbur, Joseph Barber, Thomas Barber,
Doctor Almeron Herrick, Major Ezra Long, Silas Rockwell, Luther Rockwell,
Stephen Palmer, John Ward, Samuel Conant, Adriel Hebard, Timothy Nichols, Elder
Elisha Rich, Churchill Barnes, Laban Landon, John Dobbins, Elihu Newberry,
Zoroster Porter, Benjamin Oviatt, Isaac N. Pomeroy, Anson Williams, Vine
Baldwin, Elihue Case, Abraham Case, James Lucas, Daniel Gregory, John McKean,
Allen Taylor, Alfred Parsons, O. P. Ballard, Dummer Lilley, John Cummings,
Nelson Adams, George Kress, Doct Silas, E. Sheppard, Joseph Morse, Calvin Dodge,
James Hickok, Reuben Smead, Laban Bowen, Jonathan Peck, William Dobbins, E. C.
Oliver, Daniel F. Pomeroy, Eli Parsons, Seth Paine, Rufus Rockwell, Thomas
Paine, Moses Calkins, G. F. Reddington.
--The early name of Troy was Augusta.
--There is a chapter of R. A. M., in Troy.
--The Troy Academy was erected in 1842.
--The first settler in Troy was Elihu Smead.
--The first road through Troy was opened in 1798.
--The first blacksmith in Troy was Caleb Williams.
--Esther Case was the first white child born in
Troy.
--John Ward erected the first grist mill in Troy,
the site of Long’s mill.
--The first house erected in the borough, was built
by Timothy Nichols, in 1800.
--Elder Elisha Rich who died in the year 1812, was
the first death in the township of Troy.
--Troy was named by Churchill Barnes, who had
previously been a resident of Troy, N. Y.
--The first Baptist Church was erected in Troy, in
1808. Rev. Elisha Rich the first minister.
--Ezra Long was the first hotel keeper in Troy, and
the first shipper of butter from Troy, in 1840.
--Troy borough is connected by railroad, telegraph,
telephone and stage lines with other communities.
--O. P. Ballard, Esq., for many years was one of
the most prominent business men in western Bradford county.
--Rev. Silas Shepard an early resident of Troy,
visited the Holy Lands and was distinguished as a writer and
theologian.
--East Troy is a village situated on Sugar Creek,
about three miles east of the borough of Troy, and a center of
considerable business.
--Col. I. N. Pomeroy was a celebrated bridge
builder, stage proprietor, hotel keeper, banker, and a
prominent business man of Troy.
--Hon. Dummer Lilley was a printer, and editor,
county commissioner, register, and recorder, and in 1862 represented
Bradford county in the State House of Representatives.
--Hon. Reuben Wilbur a prominent and early settler
of Troy, was associate judge of Bradford county, sheriff, state senator for two
terms, presidential elector, state inspector of prisons, and a life long
democrat.
--Trojan Lodge No. 306, F. A. M., chartered January
19, 1857. Elihu Case, W. M.; Amasa Greeno, S. W.; Jeremiah Adams, J. W.
--The first assessment of property in Troy borough
in 1845, showed a valuation of $58,925. The actual valuation is now over
$1,000,000.
--Priam Lodge No. 247, I. O. O. F., was instituted
August 31, 1847. Frank Smith, N. G.; E. W. Hazzard, V. G.; W. G.
Newberry, Sec; C. F. Finch, Treas.
--Troy Farmers Club organized in the year 1874.
First officers J. C. McKean, Pres; G. M. Card, Sec.; A. M. Cornell,
Treas.; A. S. Hooker, Reporting Sec.
--The first officers of the borough of Troy were E.
C. Oliver burgess, G. F. Reddington, V. M. Long, Frederic Orwan, Layton Runyon,
councilmen; Allen E. Thomas Clerk.
--Hon. Delos Rockwell of Troy, one of the most
prominent members of the Bradford county bar, was elected by the democrats as
state senator, in the year 1874. He led the forlorn hope “and came out
victorious,” the first democratic senator from Bradford county in many years.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June 25,
1999