|
1885 Seven Counties History - Bradford
County PA
|
|
|
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in
Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by
TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette
Company, Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE
HISTORY of Tioga and
Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben,
Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND
CITIES"
|
CANTON TOWNSHIP AND
BOROUGH
Canton township is situated in the extreme southwest
portion of Bradford county. The sources of
Towanda creek, which flows eastward into the North
Branch of the Susquehanna, and the sources of the Lycoming creek or river which
flows southward into the West Branch of the Susquehanna, are found in this
township. The Northern Central Railroad passes through the township from
south to north, having several stations in the township. Canton and Alba
are boroughs which have been formed from its territory. East Canton,
Grover and Minnequa, are villages and post towns. The soil is well adapted
to grazing, orchard products, and growing of corn, oats, buckwheat and wheat.
Some of the finest farms and farm dwellings and capacious barns in the county
are found in Canton. Canton borough stands third in the county as a
shipping point for agricultural and other products, and is only excelled by Troy
and Towanda. Canton borough is rapidly increasing in wealth and
population.
The early settlers were: Rufus Gere, Orr
Scoville, Ezra Spalding, Horace Spalding, Jonas Gere, Jonathan Prosser, Alvin
Cook, Gershon Gillett, Wilkes Gillett, Zephaniah Rogers, Zephaniah Rogers, Jr.,
John Newell, Dr. Moses Emerson, Ichabob Sellard, Labon Landon, Benjamin Landon,
Major Withey, Ebenezer Bixby, Samuel Griffin, Nathan Roberts, Samuel Griffin,
Jr., Joel Bullock, Abram Taber, Jacob Granteer, Isaiah Grover, Benjamin Babcock,
Nathaniel Babcock, Samuel Rockwell, David Pratt, Stephen Sellard, Elisha Wilcox,
Stephen Strickland, Amos Strickland.
--Ezra Spalding kept the first hotel in 1799.
--Canton borough was incorporated in 1863.
--Orr Scoville built the first framed house, in
Canton.
--Samuel Strait opened the first bank in Canton,
in 1871.
--Dr. Sylvester was the first regular physician in
the town.
--The first settler in the town of Canton, was
Rufus Gere, in 1796.
--Zepaniah Rogers built the first grist mill.
It was a small concern.
--Canton borough was originally known as “Canton
Four Corners.”
--Canton was named in honor of a town by that name
in Connecticut.
--Samuel Griffin erected the first school house in
the township, in 1803.
--Samuel Griffin, an early settler of Canton, was
a revolutionary soldier.
--Ezra Spalding, an early settler of Canton, was a
soldier of the revolution.
--Miss Emma Seagar taught the first school in
1803, now within Canton borough.
--Loren Kingsbury taught the first school in
Canton township, in the winter of 1801-2.
--The early settlers in Canton, had to go to
Towanda, Tioga Point, Newtown or Williamsport, for their “store goods.”
--Canton Lodge, A. Y. Masons, No. 415, instituted
March 4th, 1868. C. W. Landon, W. M; Warren Landon, S. W.; W. W. Whitman,
J. W.; B. W. Clark, Sec.
--Minnequa Lodge, No. 374, Knights of Pythias,
instituted in April 1871, Theodore Pierce, V. P.; J. A. McNaught, C. C.;
E. L. Manley, V. C.; M. R. Doty, K. Of R. S.
--Canton Lodge, No. 321, I. O. O. F., organized
October 29, 1848. First officers were: William Gosline, N. G.; Dr.
W. S. Baker, V. G.; A. C. Pickard, Sec.; J. W. Griffin, Treas.