Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Clippings, Obituary,  & Scrapbook Section
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Home Guide Disclaimer Copyright MORE Clippings Joyce New & Search
Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts Obituaries By Cemetery
Joyce's Search Tip - February 2010 
Do You Know that you can search just the 700 pages of Clippings and Scrapbooks on the site by using the Clippings button in the Partitioned search engine on the Current What's New Page?  
You'll also find obituary and other newspaper clippings using the three county-level Obits by Cemetery buttons. Additional clippings can be found in the Birth, Marriage, and some other partitions. 
Tri County Clippings- Page Two Hundred Eighty Six
In order by surname at birth

This page includes obituaries of people with connection to our three counties but not buried in them or cemetery not identified. If local cemetery is known, see the Obituaries by Cemetery section of the site.

ACKLEY, Mr. & Mrs. Willard E.
Willard E. Ackley, 75, and Kathryn C., 76, of 2800 NW 31st Street, Ft. Lauderdale, died May 4, 1967 in a traffic accident at Lake Placid, Fla.  Residents for the past 13 years, formerly of Johnstown, Pa. and Mansfield.  Survived by sons, Rexford M. of Oxnard, Calif., Norman W. of Ashland, Pa.; daughters, Mrs. Wanda Johnson of Ft. Lauderdale and Mrs. Barbara Bole of Johnstown, Pa.; 11 grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.  Mr. Ackley is also survived by brothers, Fred of Penn Yan, N.Y., Harley of Syracuse, N.Y., and Clarence of Athens, Pa.; a sister, Mrs. Sue Saddlemire of Binghamton, N.Y.  Mr. Ackley was a member of the National Retired Teachers Assn. and the N.E.A.  He was also a former principal of Mansfield High School.  Services were Sunday in Florida.  ( No mention of wife’s maiden name or family)

Adams, James Otis-son of James and Malinda Potter Adams, died at his boarding place, the Hotel Welch, in Troy, about 9:30 yesterday morning. He had long been a sufferer from heart trouble. Mr. Adams was born in Troy, June 30, 1843. He responded to Governor Curtin’s emergency call and served some time in the ranks and in a construction corps of the Union army. He was in Texas for a time after the war and in New Jersey, otherwise his entire life was spent here. He never married. He was a kindly, sociable man with a host of friends. Surviving are his sisters, Mrs. Thomas Mitchell of Troy, Mrs. George F Brown of Rutland, Vt; three half sisters- Mrs. Platt Coonley and Miss Emma Adams of Coxsachie, NY; Miss Jeannette Adams of Elmira, a half brother, William W Adams of East Orange, NJ. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon at the home of his nephew H Kent Mitchell.

Adams, Oscar P-The Gazette Register of last week contained a notice of the death and funeral of Oscar P Adams. His burial was under the control of the Grand Army of the Republic. Daniel Compton of Troy and five of those who had been members of the company to which he belonged, acted as bearers, viz: Gabriel Mullock of Waverly, George Steinberg of Elmira, John Canedy of Sylvania, Oliver Booth of Granville and Edward Buffum of Troy. Mr. Adams lived in Troy from the time of his birth. He was a man of good morals and industrious habits. He had an extensive acquaintance and numerous friends, many of whom were at the funeral. He was descended from a long lost of honorable ancestors. His great grandfather, Seth Adams, who is buried in Glenwood cemetery, was a revolutionary soldier. His grandfather, Gaius Adams, came from Massachusetts and settled in Springfield, Pa. in 1808, 99 years ago and only four years after the first settlement in that township. He had a family of five sons and four daughters. The sons were Henry Lewis, James, Bela Kent, Joel and Jere. Lewis died in Springfield aged 82, James in Troy aged 85, Beta in Rome, Pa. aged 68 and 10 mos and Jere who died in Agawam, Mass aged 75 years. Joel is the only survivor of the family and lives in Troy, nearing his 84th year having been born January 10, 1824. In addition to church services the burial service of the Grand Army was read at the grave.

WILLIAM MURRY ‘PAPPY’ ALEXANDER, 86, Roaring Branch RR 1 for the past 21 years, formerly of Niagara Falls, NY, died August 17, 1994 at the Williamsport Hospital.  He was born on June 2, 1908 in Roaring Branch, a son of William H. and Margaret E. Sechrist Alexander.  Pappy retired as a pressman for Moore Business Forms, Niagara Falls; was a member of the Red Run Rod and Gun Club, Roaring Branch; the Hillside Rod and Gun Club, Blossburg; and LaSalle Sportsman Club, Niagara Falls.  Surviving are three daughters and sons-in-law, Betty J. Ferguson, Erie, PA, Nancy and Gerald Reid, Ransomville, NY, Patricia and Robert Mort, Niagara Falls, NY; three sons and daughters-in-law, William F. and Jean Alexander, N. Tonawanda, NY, James and Alice Alexander, Roaring Branch and David P. and Janice Alexander, Grand Island, NY; 26 grandchildren; 35 great-grandchildren; a daughter-in-law, Mary Alexander, Sanborn, NY and two sisters-in-law, Esther Alexander, Buttonwood and Bernadine Alexander, Williamsport; many nieces, nephews and cousins.  He was predeceased by his wife Margaret Newton Alexander in 1976 and a son Kenneth Alexander in 1983.  Funeral services were held August 19 from the Morse and Kleese Funeral Home, Liberty.  Interment was in Steam Valley Cemetery, Cogan Station Township, Lycoming Co.  Memorial contributions may be directed to the Regional Home Health Hospice, 1201 Grampian Blvd., Suite 3A, Williamsport, PA in Mr. Alexander’s memory.  –Canton Independent Sentinel

ASPINWALL, Isaac Sisson- (1911) born Sept 20, 1829 in Ledyard, Tioga County, NY. Married to Susan C Haven of Columbia Township, Bradford Co, Pa. June 7, 1855, who died Aug 9, 1903. Since the death of Mrs. Aspinwall, Mr. Aspinwall had lived in the family of James Wells of Columbia, whose kindness and devotion brightened the months of suffering that he was called upon to endure. On the morning of July 4th he quietly fell “asleep in Jesus”. He was for many years a faithful member of the Baptist Church, also of the I.O.O.F. The funeral was held on the 6th from the home of Mr. Wells and was conducted by the Rev. S Barrett

ASPINWALL, Walter-well known in this Boro and a brother of Mrs. E B Parsons, died suddenly last Saturday in Buffalo. He was about to take a Turkish bath for a cold when he collapsed and died almost instantly. Mr. Aspinwall had long been the cashier of the Manufacturer’s and Traders Bank of that city. He is survived by his wife, who was Eva Ingham of Elmira, and a married daughter, Mrs. Clifford Peake of East Aurora, NY., his mother, Mrs. Harriett Aspinwall, two sisters, Mrs. Parsons and Mrs. Angie Aspinwall Wilson, the latter of Grand Rapids and one brother, Edward Aspinwall of Buffalo. The funeral was held Monday with interment in Buffalo.

BACON, Wilson V- (1920) a resident of Canton for half a century, died at his home last Friday evening, aged 68 years. For a number of years he was associated with the late John Griffin in the dry goods business, the firm being Griffin & Bacon. Later, when Mr. Griffin retired, the firm became Bacon & Ronan. Upon the death of Mr. Ronan the firm was conducted by Mr. Bacon and Mrs. P J Ronan until it was sold to J W Merritt & Son. He had a serious heart trouble, but was not considered in a critical condition. He drove his car to town the day of his death. The news that he had died came as a shock to his friends. He is survived by his wife, a daughter, Mrs. William Wheatley of Hornell, three brothers and one sister. The funeral was held from the Baptist Church on Tuesday afternoon.

The following extract is from an article on “Arizona’s Development” in the San Diego, Cal., Golden Era for May 1889:
"In concluding it is only fair to mention that in his efforts to make the hospital a model one, Dr. Willis is ably seconded by Ira R. Baldwin, an old Union soldier, who holds the position of steward.  The latter is the hero of many battles, many hair-breadth escapes, wounds, imprisonments and deprivations in our country’s defense, and besides being personally qualified for his present position, it is eminently fitting that such posts of duty and responsibility be given to such men.”    A telegram from Tombstone, Arizona, announces that Ira R. Baldwin died there Sunday, Feb. 2.  Mr. Baldwin was born December 2, 1842, at Huntsville, this county.  He was a son of the late Maj. Abed Baldwin and a brother of C. J. Baldwin, of Norwalk, Ohio, and of G. L. Baldwin, of Shickshinny, the latter of whom is the only living relative of the name, of a once numerous family, now living in Pennsylvania.  The breaking out of the war found Ira in Ohio, where he joined an infantry regiment and hastened to the front.  While his brother Lewis, with the Pennsylvania Reserves was driving the Rebels from the rest of South Mountain and from the plains of Antietam, Ira was a paroled prisoner in the rear of Lee’s army, having remained with his regiment ten days after the expiration of his enlistment to help drive back the Rebel horde from the borders of his natïve State, only to be ignobly surrendered almost without a struggle, at Harper’s Ferry, by Gen. Miles, whose name he ever after held in execration, and always insisted it was his own indignant soldiers who shot Miles – for it is true he was killed a few minutes after he capitulated.  The enemy held more prisoners than we, hence the government would not exchange paroled prisoners whose enlistments had expired, so Ira hastened to Kansas, joined the militia and helped to drive Quantrell into Indian Territory after he had sacked Lawrence.  After the muster out he went to Old Mexico, and later to Vancouver’s Island, and finally settled in Tombstone, where Sunday ended a life fittingly portrayed in the extract from the magazine above quoted.  Burnside’s Post, 37, Department of Arizona, in which he was O. D., bore his remains to their last rendezvous with all the honors due a dead patriot.  Rest in peace, patriot, friend and brother.

Ballard, Mary & Tobey, Gladys E-Last Friday evening, Misses Mary Ballard and Gladys E Tobey, room mates and fellow teachers, Edwin C Moran, son of the family with whom the girls boarded, and Robert Banks, a student, were riding down hill at White Plains, NY. The hill was a glaze of ice and they had been down a number of times at a speed approximately a mile a minute. On the last trip the sled suddenly swerved from its course and crashed into the curb. Miss Ballard was thrown against a telephone pole and instantly killed, the side of her head being crushed. Miss Tobey, who was hurled fifteen feet and landed on her head, is understood to have since died. Both of Moran’s legs were broken and he was otherwise injured. Young Banks thought to have escaped with a few bruises is in serious condition from nervous shock. Miss. Ballard was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Ballard of Troy She was 24 years old. Besides her parents and grandmother, Mrs. L W Ballard, she is survived by a younger sister, Madaline. The funeral was held at the Ballard home in Niagara Falls Monday afternoon. The brief, simple services were conducted by the Rev. Bacon of the First Presbyterian church of which Miss Ballard was a member and in which she was an enthusiastic worker when at home. Interment was in Niagara Falls.

BALLARD, O P-the death is noted after a long illness, at the age of 74, of O P Ballard. During his long career he suffered loss eleven times by fire. In 1822 he came from Athens and opened the first store in Troy and in 1832 started the Anti-Masonic Democrat, the first paper published here.

BEAMAN, Elder Joseph-who was well known through this section for his vigor as pioneer preacher and his eccentricities, died at his home near Aspinwall Corners, Monday morning at the ripe age of 89.

BENSON - VAN NESS, Mrs. William H.
 Mrs. Ida Benson Van Ness died this morning at the family home in Mansfield, Pa., after a few hours illness of pneumonia.  She is survived by her husband and several children of Mansfield; also a brother, A. E. Benson of this city.  The funeral will be announced later . (1919???)

 Age 81, of 4058 Rockwell Ave., Horseheads, at the Arnot Ogden Hospital, Elmira, Wednesday, June 5, 1968.  Friends may call at the Kenyon Funeral Home, Elkland, Pa., Friday 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.  Funeral there Saturday at 2 p.m.  Burial in Tioga, Pa., Cemetery.  Survived by wife, Grace of Horseheads; daughters, Mrs. Pauline Shrout of Horseheads, Mrs. Leone Margraff of Elkland, Mrs. Eloise Van Dusen of Wakima, Wash.; eight grandchildren; 10 great grandchildren.  He was a member of the Masonic Lodge of Tioga, Pa.

Booth, Oliver-Word has been received during Monday night of the death that evening at a hospital in Rochester, NY of Oliver Booth, who, until his removal from Troy to Rochester six weeks ago was a resident of our village. Mr. Booth had been in rather poor health for some time, but had been able to be about for some time, but had been able to be about and do a fair amount of work. During the parade at the recent G.A.R.  Encampment in Rochester Mr. Booth joined his comrades in the march, but was soon compelled to retire from the line because of illness which soon became acute, and which in the course of two or three days necessitated his removal to a hospital for an operation which resulted in death as noted above. The deceased was well known. He is survived by a wife, a daughter, Mrs. Louis Vosburg of Rochester, to whom he and Mrs. Booth had recently gone to make their home, and two sisters, Mrs. P R Warren of Troy and Mrs. Julia Wood of Elmira, NY. The remains were brought here for burial, the funeral party coming on train Thursday forenoon and funeral services were held from the church at 2.

LaVerne C. Bradley, 56, Hosenfeld Rd., Odessa, NY, died Saturday, Oct. 17, 1987, at his home. He was the brother of Earl Bradley of Tioga. Mr. Bradley was a 30-year employee of the Odessa Agway. Other survivors include his wife of 32 years, Sabella James Bradley; daughter and son-in-law, Constance and Ron Sawyer, Lindley, NY.; sons and daughter-in-law, James and Mary Kay Bradley of Rochester, NY, Jeffrey Bradley of Chapel Hill, NC; sister, Mrs. Shirley Robyler, Montour Falls, NY; brothers, Theodore, Rock Stream, NY, Edwin and Arthur of Elmira, and Robert of Spencer; grandchildren, Lindsay and Joshua Sawyer; several nieces, nephews, cousins; and one aunt. Funeral services were held at 11 am today, Oct. 21, at the Vedder and Scott Funeral Home, Odessa.  The Rev. E. Gene Callihan officiated and interment was in the Laurel Hill Cemetery.

Delbert C. Brasted, age 87 of 19 Sherwood Street, Mansfield died Monday, February 12, 1973.  Born December 5th, 1885 in New York State, he was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Clement Brasted.  He was a retired Cheesemaker.  He was a member of the First Baptist Church in Mansfield and he also served as a Deacon. He is survived by one daughter, Miss Gwendolyn Brasted at home; a brother, Leon Brasted of New Orleans, a sister, Mrs. Ethel Flinn, of Canisteo, New York. Funeral service will be held at the Kuhl Funeral Home, 18 North Main Street in Mansfield on Thursday at 1 pm.  Rev. Benjamin Nevin, his pastor, will officiate.  Burial in Woodlawn Cemetery, Almond, New York.

Woodruff, Mrs. Maria-widow of the late Thomas M Woodruff, a prominent and respected citizen, and formerly sheriff of Bradford County, died December 26, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John A Parsons, in Troy leaving to survive her, one son, George H Woodruff of Erie, Pa., one daughter, Mrs. John A Parsons of Troy and one sister, Mrs. Frances Hodges of Illinois. Her youngest daughter, Frances, the wife of Arthur Head, died in April 1909.Mrs. Woodruff was born in Athens, July 25, 1825 the daughter of William and Maria Spalding Briggs, and was therefore in her 90th year at the time of her death. She came from Athens to Towanda with her parents in early girlhood and in 1843 was married to Thomas J Woodruff, by whom she had two children. George II and Mary, wife of John A Parsons. For her second husband she married Thomas M Woodruff, a distant relative of her first husband whom she had one daughter, Frances, wife of Arthur Head. After the death of her second husband she went to Troy, where she resided with her daughter, Mrs. Parsons, and where everything was done for her comfort and happiness that loving hearts could suggest. She had been in feeble health for some months, owing to the infirmities of age, and death came to her quietly and peacefully as sleep to a tired child.  Mrs. Woodruff was a woman of noble Christian character, a member of the Baptist church, and her life was full, not only of years, but of Christian graces and good works. She was of a generous and self-sacrificing disposition, and found her greatest pleasure in doing good to others, in ministering to the sick and comforting the afflicted.

David J. Campman Dies at Age 61 at Buffalo, N.Y. Many Wellsboroans were sadden this week by the untimely death of David J. Campman, age 61, of Lockport, N.Y. formerly of Wellsboro, who died last Saturday, October 27th at the Millard Fillmore Hospital at Buffalo, N.Y. where he was a surgical patient.  He was born on February 15, 1912 at Avis, Pa. The son of the late Charles W. and Helen Peters Campman.  Mr. Campman, a former Wellsboro businessman, was a past Master of Ossea Lodge No. 317 of Wellsboro.  He is survived by his wife, Helen Gaylor Campman; two daughters, Mrs. John (Kenneth) Lane of Williamsville, N.Y., and Mrs. Lawrence J. (Margaret) Mitchell of Wellsboro; two brothers, C. Leo Campman and Arthur R. Campman, both of California; and three sisters, Mrs. Waldo (Margaret) Shumway, Miss Helen Campman, and Mrs. Thomas (Martha) close, all of Wellsboro.  A son, Philip J. Campman and a brother, G. Frederick Campman are deceased. Masonic services were held on Monday, October 29th and funeral services were conducted Tuesday, October 39th by Rev. Alfred Gross, Methodist minister formerly of Wellsboro at the Beach Tuyne Funeral Home at Williamsville, N.Y.  Memorial contributions may be made in Mr. Campman’s name to the new Intensive Care Unit of the Millard Fillmore Hospital, 3 Gates Circle, Buffalo, N.Y.

Carnochan, Fred Parsons-died at his home in Harrisburg, Pa., Monday January 27th, 1908, following an illness of three weeks. At first attacked by the grippe his condition soon became serious, owing to a weak heart, and death finally resulted from pneumonia. He is survived by his loving wife, Edna, two daughters, Ethel and Janet, aged five and three years respectively, mother Sophia L, sister Belle, and brother Dr. John M. of Princeton, NJ, all of whom were with him during his last hours. The funeral was held from his late home Wednesday morning following his death, Rev. A F Anderson officiating, and was concluded at Troy in the afternoon of the same day, Rev. E P Morse conducting the services at the grave. The pallbearers were six of his office men. There also accompanied his remains to Troy with his immediate relatives, Mr. T N Funston, Mr. H A Metzger, Assistant General Agent and five of is traveling salesmen, A number of relatives and personal friends met the funeral party at the railroad station and accompanied it to the family lot in Glenwood cemetery where the interment was made. Mr. Carnochan was born in Troy, Pa, September 19th, 1867. In the year 1876 his father, the late Warner H Carnochan, a prominent lawyer and partner of the Hon W T Davies, moved with his family to Towanda. He attended the public schools of Towanda until his father’s death which occurred in 1881. After taking a course in the Rochester Business University he entered the office of his uncle, John A Parsons, of Troy, where he remained until the summer of 1886, At the age of nineteen he left Troy to begin his business life in the west; first residing at Minneapolis and later at Huron, Sioux Falls, Saint Paul, Detroit and Saint Louis. Three years ago he moved to Philadelphia and later to Harrisburg, where he resided until the time of his death. With the exception of the first year or two after leaving Troy his whole business life was devoted to the sale of agricultural implements, principally as a branch manager. His connection has been with large manufacturers, including the Walter A Wood Harvester Co., and D N Osborne & Co. In 1900 the latter company sent him to Europe and South America on an important business mission. The old companies were absorbed by the International Harvester Company of America, for whom he was General Agent of the Osborne division. Mr. Carnochan was married November 10, 1898 to Miss Edna P Funston of St Louis and a very happy home resulted from this union.

Crandall, Mrs. Martha A –Another of Troy’s cherished elderly women passed to her reward Monday afternoon in the person of Martha A Crandall, whose vital forces had been quite rapidly failing for a month or more. Mrs. Crandall was born on March 19, 1833, in Savoy, Mass. In her girlhood her parents moved to Canaseraga, NY which was her home until in young womanhood she went to Illinois as a teacher. Her marriage to late Jarius A Crandall brought her to Whitesville, NY where many years of her life were spent. Having no children of her own she received into her home at different times and a mother’s love to three of her nephews- Dr. F L Carpenter, now of Berkley, Col, Postmaster H C Carpenter of Troy, and Mark P Carpenter of Phila. About 1903 three or four years after the death of her husband, she came to Troy. Until she purchased the Fannie E F Long property her home was with her brother, Dr. P S Carpenter. Mrs. Crandall had been a member of the Baptist church since girlhood, and in her daily life exemplified the teachings of the Master. Three brothers and a sister survive—M C Carpenter and Dr. P S Carpenter of Troy, H N Carpenter of DeWitt, Mich., Mrs. Mark Taylor of Cairo, Mich. and Miss Rose Carpenter of Phila. The funeral was held at her late home Wednesday afternoon, the Rev. Calvin officiating. Interment was at Whitesville, NY.

Of Palm Beach Gardens, FL, passed peacefully on July 11, 2007. Mr. Carroll was raised in Elmira, NY. He attended Hendy Ave., EFA and was a graduate of The DeVeaux School, Hamilton College (Psi Upsilon) and Syracuse University College of Law. Mr. Carroll practiced law in Hawaii and Washington, DC before retiring to PGA National in 1990. Dave had a lifelong interest in all sports. He played both baseball and football in high school and college. His interest in golf took him to PGA where he developed a passion for tennis and became an A level senior club player. Dave always remained close to his family and shared a very special relationship with his niece and nephew. He was predeceased by his father, John H. Carroll; and infant brother, John Jr. He is survived by his mother, Myrtle R. Carroll of Fairport, NY; sister, Stephanie Carroll Smith and brother-in-law, Arthur F. Smith Jr. of Penfield, NY; niece, Megan Smith Stephenson (Stephen) of London, Eng.; nephew, Andrew F. Smith (Margaret) of Lake Hiawatha, NJ; grand niece, Sadie Carroll Stephenson and grand nephew, Andrew F. Smith Jr. Dave's family invites friends to visit at 2 p.m., Friday, August 10, Elmira City Club, 320 E. Church Street, Elmira, NY.   Published in the Star-Gazette from 7/30/2007 - 8/9/2007.

CASEMAN, Harold R.
Harold R. Caseman, 61, of 31 Berkley Street, Honeoye, N.Y., died Saturday, July 16, 1983, in F.F.Thompson Hospital, Canandaigua, N.Y.  A native of Shunk, Sullivan County, he was a relative of three Lycoming County residents. Born Feb. 25, 1922, he was a son of Floyd and Luetta Brown Caseman. He has been a forklift operator for  Crossman Arms Co., Bloomfield, N.Y. Mr. Caseman was an Army veteran of World War II, serving in the Philippines.  He and his wife, the former Emma A. Kilmer, were married for 35 years. Surviving, besides his wife, are three daughters, Mrs. Marvin Bailey, of Holcombe, N.Y., and Mrs. Ronald Higley and Mrs. Jerry Mahoney, both of Honeoye; a son, Lloyd, of Canandaigua; two brothers, Nelson, of  Columbia Cross Roads, and Richard, of Jersey Shore; four sisters, Mrs. Thomas Hoover, of Dushore, Mrs. Vera O’Brian, of Cogan Station, Mrs. Alice Brown of Hamburg, N.Y., and Mrs. Phyllis Higley, of Montoursville RD, and four grandchildren. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Morse and Kleese’s, 40 North Center Street, Canton, with the Rev. Duane Taylor, a lay pastor at the Church of Christ, Disciples, Canton, officiating.  Burial will be in Brown Cemetery, Shunk. Friends may call at the funeral home from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday.

CASEMAN, Luetta E.
 Age 75, of Shunk, Pa., Saturday, August 31, 1974, at the DeVine Providence Hospital, Williamsport, Pa.  Friends may call at the Morse Funeral Home, 12 E. Main Street, Canton, Pa. Monday 2-4 and 7-9 p.m.  Funeral service Tuesday at 10 a.m. at United Methodist Church, Shunk, Pa.  The Rev. Mrs. Wilma Barker Hoose officiating.  Interment, Brown Cemetery, Shunk, Pa.  Survived by husband, Floyd Casement; daughters, Mrs. Willard Brown, Erie, Pa., Mrs. Thomas Hoover, Dushore, Pa., Mr. Raymond O’Brien, Cogan Station, Pa., Mrs. Donald Brown, Waterloo, N.Y., Mrs. Darwin Higley of Shunk, Pa.; sons, Nelson Caseman, Columbia Cross Roads, Pa., Harold Caseman, Honeoye, N.Y., Richard Caseman, Jersey Shore, Pa.; 2 sisters, Mrs. William Morgan of Shunk, Pa., Mrs. Kenneth Hotelling of Ithaca, N.Y.; 28 grandchildren, 21 great grandchildren.  She was a member of the Shunk United Methodist Church.

The funeral will be Wednesday for Marla J. Chilson, 50, of 220 Linden St., South Williamsport, who died Saturday, April 11, 1998, in Divine Providence Hospital after an extended illness. She and her husband, Herman L. Chilson, would have observed their 10th wedding anniversary July 2. She graded from Hughesville High School in 1964. She attended Third Street United Methodist Church. Born Nov. 1, 1947, in Muncy, she was a daughter of Charles Whitebread and Lois J. Thomas Whitebread Eyer. Surviving, besides her husband, are two daughters, Tina M. Williams of Camp Hill and Stephanie LeeAnn Chilson at home; two stepsons, Douglas LaRue and Edward Chilson, both of South Williamsport; three stepdaughters, Vicki Irene Laney of this city, Christine Chilson of Montoursville and Kathlena Chilson of West Pittston, and five grandchildren. The service will be at 2 p.m. in the church, 931 E. Third St., with the Rev. Robert G. Wallace officiating.  Burial will be in Clinton Baptist Cemetery, Montgomery. Friends may call at the church from 1 to 2 p.m. Wednesday.  The family will provide the flowers. Arrangements are being handled by Sanders’, 821 Diamond St.

Clark, LeRoy G- (Nov 1918) Canton people were particularly saddened a few days ago by news of the death in France of LeRoy G Clark, son of Mr. and Mrs. H Lee Clark. He enlisted with the Bucknell University ambulance unit and had seen much active service. His conspicuous bravery had won him the French Cross. He was 22 years old and a graduate of Bucknell. Death came from a German bomb dropped on the barracks in which he and others were sleeping

CLINTON, Robert (Donald)
Former Galeton Resident Killed in Auto Accident Robert (Donald) Clinton of Orrville, Ohio, formerly of Galeton, was killed in a one-car accident Saturday near his home.  He was 27. Mr. Clinton, who was graduated from Galeton High School in 1965, had resided in Orrville about two years and was employed as an assemblyman by the Orrville Products Co.  Wayne (Ohio) County Sheriff’s deputies said the accident occurred on Wayne County Rt. 27, five miles north of Orrville.  Mr. Clinton was the son of Robert and the late Mary Catherine McDonald Clinton.  The elder Clinton currently lives in Tempe, Ariz.

Hancock, Dorothy (Dora) Colby (Mrs. Earl C)-who was a resident of Troy for some years, died in Glen Rock, Wyoming, on Monday, Oct 30. She was about 35 years old. Her only child, an infant was buried with her in DuBuque, Iowa. Mr. Hancock formerly held a good position with the Wells-Fargo Express Company in New York, but for some time his health had been impaired and they had been living on a sheep ranch near Glen Rock.  The services were in charge of Rev A D Werden. The burial was in Linwood cemetery.

Wellsboro Agitator - January 24, 1894
Chatham, Jan. 22 - Mr. Leander Cole was buried on Saturday.

COOK, Sheffield
Sheffield Cook died Feb. 13, 1968, at 10:30 a.m. at the Cole Memorial Hospital, Coudersport, Pa., from a massive cerebral hemorrhage.  He was taken Saturday afternoon while at home and never regained consciousness.  He was born in Roseville, Pa., June 10, 1908, a son of Otis and Lettie Seeley Cook.  He was married to Anna Strauss on Nov. 25, 1931.  Mr. Cook had been employed as assistant cashier at the Mansfield Bank for 18 years before moving to Coudersport.  He owned and operated Moren’s Dress Shop of Coudersport, Pa., for 20 years.  He was also employed by the First National Bank in Coudersport.  Mr. Cook is survived by his widow; a daughter, Mrs. Jack Danielson of Placentia, Calif; two brothers, Rexford Cook of Westfield, Pa., and Arland Cook of Troy, Pa.; and two sisters, Mrs. Clifford Crumn of Roseville, Pa., and Mrs. Stephen Guardino, Sr. of Brooklyn, N.Y.  He was a veteran of World War II, a member of Potter Post 192, American Legion, St. Eulalia Church and the Coudersport Gold Club.  Funeral services were held at the St. Eulalia Church with burial in St. Eulalia’s Cemetery.  Rev. Robert Griffin was the minister and Lindhome Funeral Home had the arrangements for the funeral on Feb. 16, 1968 at 10:00 a.m.  The Rosary was recited Thursday night at 8:45 p.m. at the Lindhome Funeral Home.

COOK, Orin N.
Age 72 of Wellsville, N.Y., Tuesday, May 3, 1977.  Friends may call at the Mulholland-Crowell Funeral Home, Wellsville, N.Y. Wednesday 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.  Funeral Thursday, May 5, 1977 at 2:30.  Rev. Arthur Wright of the United Methodist Church, Wellsville.  Burial Ulysses Cemetery in Ulysses, Pa.  Survived by wife, Marie; son, Gordon of Ulysses, Pa.; daughters, Mrs. Marjorie Thompson of Bradford, Pa., Mrs. Beverly Stockman of Wellsville; seven grandchildren; four great grandchildren; sister, Mrs. Ada Feller of Sarasota, Fla.; brothers, Lewis of Sarasota, James of Buffalo, N.Y. and Raymond of Mainesburg, Pa.  He operated the United Farm Real Estate Agency in Wellsville.

Mr.  Crippen was born Sept. 23, 1889 in Rutland Township, Tioga County, Penna; the son of Osmer and Ada Redfield Crippen.  He died April 29, 1967 in Charlotte, N.C.; at the home of his daughter, Zelma Crippen Dierstein.  He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Vivian Crippen of Mesa, Ariz., and Mrs. J.W. Dierstein of Charlotte, N.C.; four sons, Creig of Orange City, Fla, George O. of the U.S. Air Force, Orey of Deland, Fla. and Wayne of Binghamton, N.Y.  He is also survived by brother, Rev. Orey E. Crippen of Roseville, Pa.; sister, Miss Florence Crippen of Ralston, Pa.; and nephew, Rexford Crippen of Roseville, Pa.  Thirteen grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

Miss Minnie-(1920) 50, who died in Elmira last week following a surgical operation, was a daughter of Morris Cummings, formerly of Troy and a niece of Mrs. Martha Greene of this Boro, and of Mrs. Julia R Ames of Philadelphia. The funeral and interment were in Elmira on Saturday.

DRAKE, Homer- (Mar 1923) Former Sheriff, died at his home in Canton, Wednesday morning from heart failure, He had been in feeble health for some weeks. His wife survives, a daughter, and son in Canton- Mrs. George Tripp and Christopher Drake, and a daughter, Mrs. James Wadley at Knoxville, Pa.

Wellsboro Agitator – October 27, 1960
William A. Faulkner, 70, of Tioga, died Friday, October 21, 1960 at his home.  He was born in Deerfield Township, January 15, 1890, the son of William E. and Analiza Haskell Faulkner, and was employed by the New York Central Railroad as a station agent.  Surviving are his widow, Vivian E., one daughter, Mrs. Thomas Prugh, of Hannibal, N.Y.; one son, Rex E. of Tioga; four grandchildren, and one half-brother, Perry F. Faulkner of Painted Post, N.Y.  The funeral was held Sunday afternoon with the Rev. Orey Crippen and the Rev. Eugene Hill officiating.  Burial was in Rural Cemetery, Addison, N.Y.

Mrs. William Davis died in her home in Independence, Iowa, Dec. 16, aged 68 years, 10 days.  Deceased was a daughter of Davis and Sarah Finch, and a granddaughter of Rufus and Martha Bennett.  She was born in Providence, Pa., and was a resident of Wilkes-Barre forty-eight years.  She removed to Iowa in 1868, where she lived until her death.  Two sons and six daughters survive her; one, Mrs. John Polsue, resides in Wilkes-Barre.  She lived a devoted and earnest Christian life and was a member of the M.E. Church for over fifty years.

FLETCHER Lee C- (1918) Notice was received Tuesday by Mr. and Mrs. George Fletcher of Gillett, of the death in action on September 5th of their only son First Lieutenant Lee C Fletcher of Co K 111th Infantry of the 28th Division. Lee Fletcher was an exceptionally fine young man. He was graduated from Troy High School in 1911 and in 1915 from Union College at Schenectady, NY. He enlisted in April 1917 and was commissioned Second Lieutenant after a course in officers training camp at Madison Barracks, NY. In April of this year he was advanced to First Lieutenant. He arrived in France about May 14th.  On August 23rd in a letter to home folks, he wrote, “We are resting in a wood right in front of some heavy artillery back of the lines, and when they fire it lifts us right out of bed. Arthur (meaning Arthur Chase of Gillett) is still with me. Germany knows she is fighting a losing fight. And the Germans are simply scared to death of the Americans. We pour artillery on to them until, as one prisoner said, “It just hailed”. The Y M C A got some cake to us today, so we will have a feast. Keep sending the pictures-they are fine. With love to all, Lee” He is survived by his parents and one sister, Mrs. Flossie Elston in the west.

FLINT Leland D.
Age 65, of 10 Wall Street, Addison, NY, entered into rest Sunday, July 29, 2007, at Arnot Ogden Medical Center, Elmira, NY, unexpectedly. He was born July 12, 1942, and was the son of Elijah and Ruth Chase Flint. He was a graduate of Cowenesque Valley High School, Mansfield University, and Simmons Institute of Mortuary Science. Active in community and civic affairs, he was a member and Chief Moderator of the 1st Baptist Church of Addison, a member, past President, and Treasurer of the Addison Kiwanis Club, former Mayor of the Village of Addison, past President and Umpire of the Addison Little League, member and past President of the Steuben County Funeral Directors Association, a member of the New York State and National Funeral Directors Association, President of the Addison Community Center Primary Health Care Clinic, supporter of the Addison Old Village Hall Memorial Park, and Chairman of the local Republican Committee. He married Carolyn Smith, October 5, 1957, she survives. Also surviving are sons and daughters-in-law, Thomas L. and Karen H. Flint of Mathews, North Carolina, Stephen D. and Deborah Flint of Addison, NY, and Leland James Flint of West Elmira, NY; his daughter, Lyneece Marie Flint of Dallas, Georgia; his sister, Roberta M. (Darold H.) Mascho of Citrus Springs, Florida; grandchildren, Nicole Marie Flint of Dallas, Georgia, Amanda Flint of Hatfield, Pennsylvania, Danielle Celia Flint of Ulysses, Pennsylvania, and Catherine Rose Flint of Addison, NY; two great-grandsons, Logan VanEtten and Liam Flint; along with several nieces, nephews, and cousins; and his loyal companion, Sherman. He is preceded in death by his parents; his son, Wesley Jon Flint; and brothers, Alfred Flint and Norman Flint. Friends may call Wednesday, August 1st, and Thursday, August 2nd, 2-4 and 7-9 p.m., at the Flint Funeral Home, 10 Wall St., Addison, NY, where the Rosary will be recited Thursday at 8:45 p.m. by the Rev. Patrick Connor. Funeral Services will be conducted Friday at 11 a.m. at the 1st Baptist Church of Addison. The Rev. Scott Greene will officiate. Burial will be in Addison Rural Cemetery. Memorials will be received for the 1st Baptist Church of Addison, the Addison Volunteer Fire Dept. and Ambulance Corp., or the Old Village Hall Memorial Park Fund.   Published in the Star-Gazette on 7/31/2007.

Wellsville:  Marie H. Cook, 96, of 89 William Ave., died Friday Nov. 23, 2001, at Jones Memorial Hospital after a brief illness.  She was born July 5, 1905, in Mansfield, Pa., a daughter of Harry F. and Addie Mudge Garrison.  On Jan. 11, 1923, she married Orin N. Cook, who died May 3, 1977.  She had resided in Wellsville since 1954.  Mrs. Cook was formerly employed at Umikers Market in Wellsville and also was associated with her husband in operating the Cook’s Electric business in Wellsville.  She was a member of the Stannards United Methodist Church and Burton Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star No. 95 in Wellsville.  She is survived by two daughters, Beverly (Ralph) Stockman of Wellsville, and Marjorie (Howard) Thompson of Bradford, Pa.; a son Gordon (Anna) Cook of Wellsville; eight grandchildren; 18 great grandchildren; a brother, Raymond Garrison of Troy, Pa.; and several nieces and nephews.  In addition to her husband, she was predeceased by two brothers, Rex and Roy Garrison.  Friends may call at the Mulholland-Crowell Funeral Home in Wellsville Sunday Nov. 25, 2001, from 1 to 3 p.m., at which time services will be held.  Burial will be in Ulysses Cemetery, Ulysses, Pa.  Memorials may be made to the Stannards United Methodist Church, the Wellsville Volunteer Ambulance Corps or to a charity of the donor’s choice.  (Olean Times Herald, Nov. 24, 2001)

GERNERT Allen W-a special service of sorrowful interest to very many Trojans to be held this afternoon in New York City is announced as follows: Memorial Service Allen W Gernert Died at Sea, Nov 24, 1912 Fifth Avenue Baptist Church Number 8 West 46th St, New York Friday afternoon Dec 6th at 4:30.

GURNSEY, Maynard W., Dr.
 Age 66, of 21 E. 4th St., Corning, N.Y., Wednesday, May 31, 1972.  Body at the Stover Funeral Home, Corning.  Memorial service Friday at 2 p.m. in Christ Episcopal Church, the Rev. Paul A. Appel.  Burial at the convenience of the family.  In lieu of flowers, those wishing may donate to the charity of their choice.  Survived by wife, Emily (Gates) Gurnsey; sons, David Gurnsey of Big Flats, Maynard W. Gurnsey, Jr. of Snyder, N.Y.; daughter, Mrs. Robert Baldwin of Big Flats; sister, Mrs. Edward Caldwell of Rochester; seven grandchildren.  He took his internship at Arnot Ogden Hospital from 1934-1935 after which he went into practice in Corning.

HAFF Rev. Charles Fred Sr.
 Age 60, of 6 Shannon St., Bath, N.Y. Friday, Jan. 27, 1967.  Friends may call at the Jones Funeral Home, Bath, Saturday, 7 to 9 p.m. and Sunday 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.  Funeral services there Monday at 2 p.m.  Brother Lyman Perry officiating.  Interment Nondaga Cemetery.  Survived by wife, Mrs. Pearl Glover Hall; two daughters, Mrs. Phyllis Lynk of Bath and Mrs. Edna Smith of Bath; one son, Charles F. Haff Jr. of Bath; eight grandchildren; six brothers. Clarence of Weston, Clifford of Dundee, Harry of Wayne, Floyd of Dundee, Edwin of Elmira, John of Clifton, N.J.; two sisters, Mrs. Flora Glover of Dundee and Mrs. Carrie Seeley of Mansfield, Pa.  He was a minister of the Perry Full Gospel Church of Perry, N.Y.

Age 57 of Elmira Heights, NY, died after a brief illness on Saturday, July 28, 2007. She was born March 25, 1950 in Elmira, NY, daughter to the late Gerald and Carol (Andrus) Hall. Her surviving family includes her sons and daughter, Kevin Hall of Elmira, NY, Joann (Joe Conner) Collins of Elmira Heights, NY, Gerald (Desi) Collins of Elmira, NY, John (Erin) Collins of Elmira, NY; six grandchildren; brothers, Les Hall, Horseheads, Bruce Hall of Big Flats, NY, Reid Hall of Elmira, NY; and several nieces and nephews. Nora worked in various factory jobs including Rimco Plastics, LRC Electronics, Fairway Spring Works as well as a driver with B.J.'s Taxi. Special thanks to the doctors, nurses and staff of the Falck Cancer Center, Southern Tier Hospice, and Arnot 2B for their comfort and care. Family and friends are invited to call at the Barber Funeral Home, 413 S. Main St., Horseheads, NY on Wed., Aug. 1, 2007, from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Her service will follow at 1:00 p.m. Those wishing may express their sympathy with memorials to Southern Hospice, 11751 East Corning Rd., Corning, NY 14830.
Published in the Star-Gazette on 7/31/2007.

Budd, Mary Hastings (Mrs. Leon)-a telegram to Mr. A L Budd Monday announced the death in Chicago of Mrs., Leon Budd. The deceased was Miss Mary Hastings of Milton and she leaves with her husband a son of 12 and a daughter of 8. An infant son born on Friday died Saturday and was brought to Milton for interment. Mrs. Louden Budd was with her son in his great bereavement and came with the family of Mrs. Budd to Milton where the funeral and interment took place. (1919).

HEPBURN - Fred Hepburn, 90, a former Williamsport resident, died Monday, June 29, 1987, in Broad Acres Nursing Home, Wellsboro, where he had lived. Born June 25, 1897, at Jersey Shore, he was a son of Robert and Hannah Weinrich Hepburn. He retired from Avco Lycoming, and had managed the former Avco baseball semi-pro team for many years. Surviving is a daughter, Mrs. Helen Cole of Wellsboro. A graveside service will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at Jersey Shore Cemetery, with the Rev. Jeffrey B. Cheadle, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Wellsboro, officiating. There will be no visitation. The family will provide flowers. Memorial contributions may be made to the Tioga County Unite of the American Heart Association. Arrangements by the Tussey-Mosher Funeral Home at Wellsboro. - Wellsboro Gazette, July 1, 1987, p.10

Drew, Ella Hill-wife of Byron Drew who is himself in very feeble health died at their home in Penn Yan last Wednesday. Mrs. Drew was a sister of the late Miss Mary Hill and of Miss Emma Hill of this Boro, and a niece of Mr. George Newberry, deceased. She had a paralytic stroke two years ago, and another just before her death. The funeral was held on Saturday at Penn Yan, the Rev. Walter S Wright officiating. Interment was at Pultney, NY the former home of Mr. Drew.

HOBART Mrs. Maria
Wellsboro Agitator – April 11, 1928
--Mrs. Maria VanDusen, aged 77 years, wife of Richard VanDusen, died in Buffalo, April 1.  She leaves, besides her husband, two sons, William, of Sabinsville, and Guy, of Buffalo; a daughter, Mrs. Fred Rudd, of Buffalo; two sisters, Mrs. John Caskey, of San Francisco, and Mrs. G. W. Evans, of Waverly, and a brother, Guard Hobart

Maria, widow of James Hancock, of Plains, died April 17, 1893, aged 62 years.  She was attended in her last moments by her son John, and her sister, Mrs. Caroline S. Gibson, of Corning, N.Y.  The end was not sudden or unexpected, but had been anticipated for several weeks, the last few days being marked by unconsciousness.  Throughout her great suffering she displayed ever the same patient, uncomplaining spirit and Christian fortitude which were always distinguished marks of her fine character.  She was retired in her nature, never courting society nor seeking large acquaintance, but preferred the quiet intercourse of a few intimate friends.  Her marriage to the late James Hancock, who died in November last, took place about forty-four years ago.  She is survived by three sons, George Hancock of Nebraska, William Hancock of Wilkes-Barre, and John Hancock of Plains, and has two sisters and three brothers still living, Mrs. Gibson of Corning, N.Y., Esther Close of Farmington, John Hurlbut of New York City, William N. Hurlbut of Westfield, Charles F. Hurlbut of Elmira.  Funeral Monday afternoon at 1 o'clock.  Interment in Hollenback Cemetery.   She was daughter of Lyman Hurlbut, and her father was a son of Naphthall Hurlbut, who ws born in Connecticut in 1767 and came to Wyoming Valley in 1779.  The Hurlbuts played a prominent part in the settlement of the valley, and a genealogocial table of the family is given in Plumb's History of Hanover Township.

A Veteran Antiquary and Historian Passes Painlessly Away at His Wyoming Home
(Daily Record, May 30)
Hon. Steuben Jenkins died at his home in Wyoming at 11 o’clock last night.  He had been ill for some weeks, his medical attendants pronouncing his trouble a failure of the kidneys to perform their function.  Instead of being carried off by the kidneys the waste products were absorbed by the blood and the result was uremic poisoning.  For several days Mr. Jenkins had lain in a condition of only partial consciousness, and when dissolution came it was a mere falling asleep.  Mr. Jenkins was 70 years of age and is survived by his wife (Catherine M. Breese), one son, William, and three daughters – Elizabeth, wife of William S. Jacobs; Catherine M., wife of William A. Wilcox, and Emma.  In the death of Mr. Jenkins there is created a vacancy in historical circles that can never be filled.  It is probable that Mr. Jenkins was the possessor of more information concerning the early history of Wyoming—a vast portion of it unpublished—than any other man.  He had for years anticipated writing a local history, and was engaged almost daily at some feature or other of the task.  His grandfather, Col. John Jenkins, was one of the first settlers of Wyoming Valley, coming as early as 1769, and was a prominent figure in the colonial and State history of this region, was a prisoner among the Indians in 1777, served in the Revolutionary War in 1778, was guide to Gen Sullivan on the famous campaign in 1779 for wiping out the Six Nations, fought under Washington till the close of the war, and subsequently took a leading part as a claimant under Connecticut against Pennsylvania, holding various posts of honor and usefulness.  Carefully kept diaries of Col. John Jenkins throw great light on the history of his time.  Steuben Jenkins was born on the paternal estate, which is part of the Wyoming battle ground.  He read law with Hendrick B. Wright, and was for several years his partner.  He was a life-long Democrat, and in 1856 he was elected to the Legislature and was chosen to a second term.  At the close of the war he was appointed clerk to the county commissioners and held the position seven years.  Thought having an accurate knowledge of the law, Mr. Jenkins had no marked fondness for the active practice of his profession, and for the last 20 years he has given his time to literary pursuits, chiefly in the direction of local history.  Mr. Jenkins held many positions of usefulness and honor in the community, among them trustee of Kingston Township, secretary of Wyoming Bible Society, prison commissioner, directory of Forty Fort Cemetery Association, director of First National Bank of Pittston, trustee of the State Hospital for Insane at Danville, secretary of Wyoming Monument Association, trustee of Luzerne Presbyterian Institute, trustee of Wyoming Presbyterian Church, school director of Wyoming, member of Luzerne County Agricultural Society, justice of the peace, member of the Wyoming Commemorative Association, etc.  All these varied duties he discharged with signal ability, fidelity and honor. His life has been marked by intense activity and had it been as devoted to money getting as it has been to the varied interests of the community he would have amassed a fortune.  As it is, he leaves his family a fair competency.  He was a gentleman, a scholar and an honor to his day and generation.  He lived much in the past but not to the neglect of the present.  A kind husband and loving father is gone, a noble-hearted man and patriotic and public spirited citizen has died.

Here's an obituary of Rear Admiral Thornton A. Jenkins, 1893
The following notice of the death of Rear Admiral Jenkins, the father-in-law of C. D. Foster's daughter, Florence is taken from the New York Times, of August 10:  Rear Admiral Thornton A. Jenkins, one of Farragut's most efficient officers in the naval campaign in the Gulf of Mexico in the war of the rebellion, died yesterday in Washington, of heart failure. He was 81 years old. Throughout active service in the navy for 45 years, Rear Admiral Jenkins's record was that of an officer who always performed his duty with zeal, energy and discretion.  He entered the navy in 1828 under appointment as midshipman from Orange County, Va., his native place.  Service in West Indian waters occupied the term of his apprenticeship, in which he had a taste of cruising for pirates off Cuba.  He had part in the Mexican war and filled acceptably various posts in the Mediterranean, the South Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.  With a captain's commission, he commanded the steam sloop Wachusett in 1862, being engaged successfully in the repulse of the enemy at Coggins Point, James River, and at City Point.  In the latter part of that year he took charge of the Oneida, which belonged to the blockading squadron off Mobile.  Farragut appointed him fleet captain and chief of staff.  He was present at the passage of Port Hudson in March 1863, and attended Farragut in all the operations in those waters. When on the Monongahela, in a fight with the enemy's batteries at College Point, he was wounded.  Farragut transferred him to the Richmond and placed him in command of the naval forces below Port Hudson.  He held that position when Port Hudson surrendered, July 9.  He commanded the division blockading of Mobile Bay in August, 1864, taking part in the battle of Mobile Bay in August 1864, and in the attacks that led to the surrender of Forts Morgan, Gaines and Powell, and was left in command of Mobile Bay until February, 1865.  Then he went up to the James River, where he was stationed with the naval forces until Lee surrendered.   Admiral Farragut spoke in the highest terms of Capt. Jenkins in his report of the operations in the gulf leading to the capture of Mobile, saying that he felt he should not be doing his duty if he did not call the attention of the department to an officer who had performed all his various duties with so much zeal and fidelity.   Recognition of his services made him a commodore in July, 1866.  The following month he became chief of the Bureau of Navigation, retaining that position until 1869, when he was appointed secretary of the lighthouse board.  In August, 1870, he was promoted to the grade of rear admiral.  He took command of the Asiatic squadrons in December 1871, remaining there for two years, when he was retired from active service.  President Grant appointed him commissioner to represent the Navy Department at the Centennial Exposition at Philadelphia.  Rear Admiral Jenkins was a member of the Naval Lyceum, this city, the Virginia Historical Society, the Philosophical, Biological and Anthropological societies of Washington; the Economic Society of Boston, the American Historical Society and the Northwestern Historical Society of Sioux City, Iowa.  HE was twice married. His first wife was Miss Powers, and she was the mother of two of his eight children.  His second wife was the daughter of paymaster Thornton.  One of his daughters is the wife of Col. P.C. Hains, another is the wife of Lieut. Converse, United States Army; a third is the widow of Lieut. Commander Parker.  Three daughters are unmarried.  The elder son is Dr. F. T. Jenkins of this city, and the other son is H. T. Jenkins.  Admiral Jenkins has been in feeble health for some time, although he had been a very active man and in good health until recently.

Lamkin, Anna G Jewell (Mrs. James W)-Occurred at her home on Canton Street, January 3rd (1912). It was the culmination of an illness dating from last spring, which involved organic disease of the heart.  For a time during the summer there was such marked improvement in her condition that Mrs. Lamkin was able to accompany her aunt, Mrs. Truman, of Owego, NY on a visit of several weeks to friends in Massachusetts and New York. But about four months ago there occurred a decided change for the worse and for the most part since that time she had been confined to the bed. The end came, as had been anticipated, with little warning and very quietly and peacefully. Anna Gertrude Jewell was the daughter of the late Ezra S and Araminta Davison Jewell. She was born in Troy February 23, 1858. She had one brother, Samuel H Jewell, of Canton, Pa. who is the only survivor of the family, her father and mother having died about six years ago. Mrs. Lamkin was educated in the Academy at Troy, in a boarding school at Bridgeport, Conn., and in Wells College at Aurora, NY. She was married to James W Lamkin, January 3, 1889, who survives her. By a singular coincidence her death occurred on the twenty-third anniversary of their marriage. Mrs. Lamkin had no children of her own but she gave a mother’s love and care to Mr. Lamkin’s daughter by a former marriages, Amelia, now Mrs. Wilson Weigester.

JORALEMON, Clark-died at his home on Canton Street early Wednesday morning from septic poisoning due to carbuncies. He had been ill about two weeks. A native of Troy the greater part of his life was spent here. He was 54 years old and leaved a wife, two children, George and Elizabeth, two brothers, Charles and Renselaer and three sisters, Mrs. F L Sollomen of Boston, Mrs. P C Petit of New York and Mrs. H VanHarper of Williamsport. The funeral arrangements have not been announced.

KENYON, Nathan- Died in Springfield of general debility aged 75.

KINKEAD, Dennis Lee
 Dennis Lee Kinkead  2  of 321 Spruce Street, Jersey Shore was dead on arrival Friday, October 15, 1971 at the Jersey Shore Hospital following a protracted illness.  He was born on May 9, 1969, the son of Kenneth L. and Sue Marie Tears Kinkead.  Surviving besides his parents are a sister Helen Sue at home; maternal grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Louis Tears, Mansfield, R DE 2; paternal grandmother Mrs. Josephine Kinkead, Jersey Shore; maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Emmett Jones, Mansfield RD 3, and paternal great-grandfather Mr. Hugh Mackie, Clearfield.  Funeral services were held Sunday at 1:30 p.m., October 17, at the Rearick Funeral Home with the Rev. Donald Winstead officiating.  Burial was in Jersey Shore Cemetery.

LAYSER - Earle F. Layser, 87, of Slate Run, died Sunday, June 28, 1987, at Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hospital, Wellsboro. Born Nov. 15, 1899, at Myerstown, Lebanon County, he was a son of Lloyd and Emma Steiner Layser. Mr. Layser owned and operated the Canyon Turkey Farm, along Pine Creek, for the past 37 years. Surviving are his wife, the former Elsie M. Reichard; three sons, Neal of Hershey, Lyle of Leesport, Berks county, and Earle of Prineville, Ore.; a daughter, Mrs. Anita Sundberg of Mr. Laurel, NJ; two sisters, Mrs. Helen Offner of Edinboro, and Mrs. Mary Talone of Haddonfield, NJ; 16 grandchildren, and several great-grandchildren. A memorial service will be held at 11:30 a.m. Sunday, July 5, at Cedar Run Church, with the Rev. S. Wade Stewart, pastor of the church, officiating. Burial will be in Cedar Run Cemetery at the convenience of the family. The family will provide flowers. There will be no visitation. Contributions may be made to the American Heart Association of the charity of one’s choice. Arrangements by the Tussey-Mosher funeral Home, Wellsboro. - Wellsboro Gazette, July 1, 1987, p.10

The Record has already reported the death on Dec. 22, of Mrs. Daniel Stull, but the following from the White Haven Journal will be read with interest:  Mrs. Daniel Stull died at the residence of Leonard Stoddart, in Philadelphia, last Sunday afternoon.  Though her death was not unexpected, the announcement of it was a shock to her many friends here.  Eliza Lewis was the daughter of Abijah Lewis, and resided in this vicinity during her life time. About thirty years ago she married Daniel Stull, and for fifteen years she lived in this town.  When her brother, Albert Lewis, began lumbering at Bear Creek, Mr. Stull and his family removed to that place, where they have since resided.  About two years ago Mrs. Stull's health began to fail and though everything possible was done for her, she gradually grew worse, and there was but slight hope of her recovery.  Seven weeks ago she was taken to Philadelphia, but the change of scene and surroundings did not result in the beneficial effect wished for and she breathed her last on Sunday.  Interment was in Willkes-Barre.  Mrs. Stull was a woman of noble Christian character, devoted to her family, and solicitous for the welfare of her friends and acquaintances. She was an active member of the Presbyterian Church, and zealous in the performance of good and kindly deeds. She leaves a husband and two sons -- Oscar and William."

After a fortnight's prostration and after a gradual decline of a year or two, Josiah Lewis passed to his final rest on July 11 at his home on North Street.  Mrs. Lewis would have been 76 years old in October next, had he lived.  He sustained a hemorrhage of the brain two weeks ago, since which time he has lain in stupor, with only occasional moments when he was able to recognize the members of his family.  Immediately after the stroke he retained his faculties for a few hours, but only for a few.  He said that the sensation was as if something had exploded in his head.  Mr. Lewis was one of the substantial business men of this community and he leaves an estate that will not fall far short of two hundred thousand dollars.  He was a man of genial disposition, of energy and of the strictest integrity.  He was often called to settle estates and in his hands every interest intrusted to him was absolutely safe.  Mr. Lewis leaves a wife, a son and a daughter.  His wife is Arabella, whose father was George Chahoon; the son is George Chahoon Lewis, and the daughter is Mary, wife of L. H. Gross, of Allentown.  Deceased, who was a native of Kingston, was (on account of bearing the same name as his father) for many years known as Josiah Lewis, Jr., as shown by old newspaper files, Council minutes, etc. Some 50 years ago he was engaged in the tannery business with William Bowman, on the Bowman property on North Street between Memorial Church and Main Street. Then for a term of years he was in the leather trade on the Public Square until he was burned out in the great fire which swept over this locality in 1855.  Of late years he has not been in active business, his large and growing estate requiring his entire attention.  The building now occupied by the Record was the property of his brother, the late Sharp D. Lewis, of whose estate Josiah was executor at the time of his death.  Mr. Lewis' parents came to Luzerne County from Philadelphia in 1805.  His grandfather, William Lewis, was one of the most distinguished Philadelphia lawyers of his day.  There is in the possession of the family his commission as judge of the United States District Court, dated 1791, and bearing the signatures of George Washington and Benjamin Franklin.

A longtime resident of Elmira and Zephyr Hills, FL died Tuesday June 12, 2007 while a patient at St. Joseph's Hospital at the age of 99. Born on August 26, 1907 in Chapman, PA Mildred was the daughter of George & Dora Maurer Loder. She was a loving wife to her husband, Claude D. Crippen until his passing 1973. Mildred was employed for many years by NY Telephone as an operator and supervisor, she was a member of the "Telephone Pioneers". Active in her community, she was a long time member of the Eastern Stars. Surviving is her nephew, George (Jerlyn) Cole, Pine City; her niece, Maxine Spaulding, Montour Falls; great nieces and nephews. Family and friends will be received at Caywood's Funeral Home & Gardens, 1126 Broadway, Southport, on Saturday August 4, 2007 from 12 noon – 1 p.m. A memorial service will follow at 1 p.m. Mildred's ashes will be interred in Florida at her families convenience.

Long, Fannie Maxwell- The will of the late Mrs. Fannie Maxwell Long, of which he is made sole executor, bequeaths the home in West Main Street, the business block occupied by Price & Manley, and several thousand dollars to Francis L Ballard. Other beneficiaries under the will are Miss. Minnie C Ballard, her aunt; Horace Crawford of Rocherster and Robert Crawford of Amsterdam, NY; Mrs. James Fausett of Bath; Dr. Fred Orwin, of Austin, Pa; Christopher W Ballard of Bartow, Florida; Dr, Howard Ballard of McKeesport; Mrs. Dr Whitmer of Newport, Pa; Sarah B Willett of Troy; Amos Spalding of Portland, Oregon; Frederick and Albert Nichols of Omaha, Neb; Theodore Minier Hathaway of Elmira, and the First Presbyterian church of Troy. To the last named she gives $1000. A letter to the executor supplementing the will disposes of most of the contents of the home which, however, is not to be closed this winter to the inconvenience of Mrs. H S McKean who has made her home with Mrs. Long for a number of years. One hundred dollars is left to her maid, Grace Forsythe. So much of her library as is not otherwise disposed of is to go to the Free Public Library.

McKAY Davy Lee
Age 76, of Penn Yan, formerly of Vineland, NJ, died on Thursday, July 26, 2007, at the Buffalo VA Hospital. Friends and family may call on Wednesday, August 1, 2007, from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Townsend-Wood Funeral Chapel, 201 E. Elm St., Penn Yan, NY 14527. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St. Michael's Church at 1:30 p.m. with Father Robert Ring officiating. Burial will take place at St. Michael's Cemetery. Memorials may be made in Davy's name to the Disabled American Veteran's, PO Box 14301, Cincinnati, OH 45250-0301. Davy was born in Gas City, Indiana on September 12, 1930, the son of the late John and Grace Pattison McKay. He grew up in Elmira Heights, NY, and graduated from Thomas Edison High School in Elmira, NY, and Syracuse University. Davy served in the Army during the Korean War with the Fifth Regimental Combat Team. He was employed by Thatcher Glass and Corning Glass Works in Corning, NY, Wheaton Industries and retired in 2001 from Durand International in Millville, NJ. Davy was a member of the Elmira Heights American Legion. He enjoyed playing golf, sailing and bird watching. He is survived by his sons, Ryder James of Vineland, NJ, Matthew McKay of Newark, NJ, and Brian McKay of Philadelphia, PA; granddaughters, Erica Andrus of Philadelphia, PA, Celia Randolph of Fayetteville, NC, and Brittany Castro of Marlton, NJ; and great-grandchildren, Lucas Castro of Marlton, NJ, and Braylen Randolph of Fayetteville, NC. Davy was predeceased by his brother, John "Jack" McKay.  Published in the Star-Gazette on 7/30/2007.

Age 71, of Columbia St., Elmira, NY, died on July 21, 2007. Friends may call at the BAKER FAMILY FUNERAL HOME on Wednesday, August 1, from 11 a.m.-12 noon, with funeral services following at Bath VA Cemetery, Bath, NY at 2 p.m. with full Military Honors. Father John Wydeven officiating. John is survived by friends, Robert and Eleanor Updike, and Joel Rose, all of Elmira. John was a veteran, serving in the U.S. Army.

Reidy, Bridget McMahon (Mrs. John) –a resident of this place, died Saturday, April 25th after a short illness aged 71 years. She was visiting her daughter, Mrs. E Newell near Troy, where she was taken suddenly ill on Friday morning and died Saturday afternoon. She had lived in this vicinity for the past fifty years. She was born in County Clare, Ireland, Feb. 2, 1832. At the age of 20 she was married to Thomas Custy, who died in 1870 leaving six children to survive him. On April 7, 1872 she was married to John Reidy, and one child, Josephine, was born to them. She leaves to mourn her loss two sons and four daughters: John and Thomas Custy, Mrs. M C Churchill, Mrs. F F Newell, Mrs. Michael Looney and Miss Josephine Reidy and three brothers and one sister; Frank McMahon of Lock Haven, Terry McMahon of Denver, Col. John McMahon New York City and Mrs. Wm Crowley, Kansas City, Mo. Mrs. Reidy was an affectionate mother and a devoted Christian and the large number who accompanied her remains to the cemetery bore testimony to the esteem in which she was held. The funeral took place at St Michael’s church at 10 o’clock Tuesday morning, Rev. W H Connelly officiating. The immediate relatives from out of town who attended the funeral were as follows: Frank McMahon of Lock Haven; John Custy and family of Ralston, Melborn Churchill and family and Michael Looney and family of Morris Run; Frank Newell and family of Troy,  Andrew Halloran and family of Ralston; Michael Leary and family and Michael O’Leary and wife and Timothy Collins of Buffalo, NY; Morris Reidy and wife of Springfield; Mrs. Morris Reidy of Troy; Mrs. John Werden and son. Mrs.. Thomas O’Gorman, Miss Bridget Reidy, Mrs. J W Sheehe and Mrs. L J Ryan of Elmira; Wm O’Donnell and daughter, Mrs. Richard O’Donnell and Richard Moxley of Blossburg; John and Ella Jones and Miss Annie Halloran of Ralston

MERRICK, Lester, Dead at 59
W. Lester Merrick, a businessman in Mansfield and Wellsboro for many years, died Tuesday, Feb. 28, 1967.  He was 59.  Mr. Merrick was stricken with a heart attack and died shortly after being admitted to Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital.  Mr. Merrick operated a farm ………….service station in Mansfield for many years.  More recently he became manager of Ralph’s Service Center in Wellsboro.  He had recently returned from a vacation in Florida.  He was a member of Friendship Lodge, F&AM, and the Royal Arch Chapter of Mansfield, and Williamsport Consistory.  He was a past president of the Men’s Club of Mansfield First Methodist Church of where he was a member.  Funeral and committal were at the Shaw and Robena Funeral Home, Saturday at 2 p.m. the Rev. Harry Sagar officiated.  Survived by wife, Frances Merrick; brother, Kenneth L. Merrick of Snyder, N.Y.; sister Mrs. Owen Cook of Mansfield RD 2; several nieces and nephews.

Buchanan, Mrs. Zureda Moore- (1917) a former resident of Austinville expired on Thursday at Geneva, NY. Mrs. Buchanan was 55 years old and leaves one daughter, Madeline.

NYE, Sylveen V.
 Miss Sylveen V. Nye, 75, died at her home in the Town of Reading Sunday night, Aug. 16, 1936, following an extended illness.  For 30 years, until 1931, she had been employed in the Buffalo office of the New York Life Insurance Company.  She retired in 1931.  Surviving are a sister, Mrs. Lizziebelle Storch of Indianapolis, Ind., and three brothers, former Judge Olin Nye of Watkins Glen, Attorney Bertram W. Nye of New York City and Dr. John H. Nye of Cromwell, Ind.  The funeral will be conducted at the home Thursday at 2 p.m., by the Rev. Wayland L. Beers of the Reading Community Church.  Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery, Watkins Glen.

Paul Otruba, age 54, of Mansfield RD 3, died on Saturday, Dec. 30, 1967, at Williamsport Hospital.  Funeral was at the Shaw and Robena Funeral Home, Monday at 1 p.m.  Rev. John Kovacik officiated.  Burial was in Willwood Cemetery, Williamsport.  Survived by wife, Mrs. Kathleen Otruba; son, Paul Victor; daughter, Sue Ellen, all at home; mother, Mrs. Julia Otruba; sister, Anna Otruba; brother, John Otruba, all of Pottsville.  He was co-owner of the Foreign Car Service4 Center of Mansfield RD 3 and active in Boy Scouts activities; and was a member of the St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church of Lansford.

PAGE, Miss Harriet B-Mr. and Mrs. D B Page on No 157 West Third Street, have the sympathy of a very large number of friends in the death of their daughter, Harriet B Page, which occurred at the family home last evening, following an attack of influenza. Miss Page was taken ill about a week ago. With the development of pneumonia, friends recognized her serious condition but were hopeful to the end. She was born in this city 25 years ago and had been taking an active interest in war work and was also an active worker in the ranks of the Red Cross. She was one of those who was active in the organizing of the Soldiers Club, established some months ago for the soldiers at General Hospital No 5, who came to this city. Until her last illness she also did much for the soldiers at the Post hospital. She was a member of Christ church and took an active interest in the various parish societies. Besides her parents she is survived by two sisters, Miss Olive Page, and Mrs. W H Arnold of New York; also two brothers, Alanzo S Page of Oswego and Lieut David B Page Jr of the Search Light Engineers, America Expeditionary Forces in France.

Mrs Laura Schweiger, 76, of West Danby, NY, mother of two Valley residents died this morning Dec. 29, 1971 at the Reconstruction Home in Ithaca following a lingering illness.  Born in Chemung, Feb 16, 1895, the daughter of the late Augustus and Mamie Phillips, she had been residing in Ithaca for the past seven years. Mrs Schweiger was a member of the West Danby Baptist Church.  Surviving are three sons, Leroy of Waverly, Wilbur of Barton, and Robert of Baltimore MD. One step-daughter, three step-sons; 10 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Maude Hines and Mrs. Myrtle McNeal of West Danby and Mrs. Dorothy Hosier of Baltimore, MD; several nieces and nephews.  Friends may call at the Allen Funeral Home in Spencer, Thursday from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9p.m. Funeral services will be held at the funeral home on Friday at 2p.m. Rev. Burt Huth of West Danby officiating.  Burial will be in the West Danby Cemetery.

LIDA RETAN COBB:  Lida Cobb, age 80, died at the Episcopal Home in Alhambra, California, on Tuesday June 5, 1973. A memorial service was held in the chapel of the Episcopal Home.  Burial was in Norfolk, Nebraska.  Mrs. Cobb was a retired home economics teacher and the widow of Frank Ezra Cobb of Nebraska and North Dakota.  She was the daughter of Edmund A. and Reua B. Retan and a sister of George A. Re- [remainder of clipping covered up by next clipping on scan]

Allen J. Savoy, 37, of Middletown, CT , formerly of Sayre , died Tuesday Jan. 26,1971 at the Middlesex Hospital in Connecticut following a short illness.  Born Oct. 14,1933 in Bangor, Me. He was the son of George Savoy of Bangor, ME and Mrs. Ethel Crowley Coffee of Van Nuys, Ca . While residing in Sayre he was employed by the Davey Tree Co. He was a veteran of the Korean War having served with US Navy.  Surviving besides his parents are his wife, Gertrude, five children ; Linda , Gary , Diane, Barbara and Timothy all of Sayre; two sisters , Mrs Patricia Mozzicato of East Hartford , CT. Mrs. George Gillespie of Reseda, Ca. ; a step-sister , Mrs. Kathleen Fox of Brewer , ME.,; two step-brothers , William Coffey Jr. of Long Beach, CA. and James M. Coffey of Winstead, CT.  Funeral services were held at Biega’s Funeral home, Middletown, CT Thursday, Jan. 28, followed by a requiem Mass at St. John’s Catholic Church at Middletown. Burial will be later in the Veteran’s Cemetery at Togus, ME. Full military honors were accorded. His wife and children attended the services.

Paul K. Seager, 70, of 215 Westbrook St. Sayre, died Saturday, Dec. 18,1971 at the Tioga General Hospital after an extended illness. Born in Athens, he a had resided there his entire life and was retired from the Lehigh Valley Railroad in 1968 after 40 years of service.  Mr. Seager was a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Carmen of America, Lodge No. 904 and was member of the Calvery Baptist church, Athens. He was a cabinetmaker by trade.  Surviving are his wife, Ina; two sons; Richard Seager of Nokomis, Fl. and Kenneth Seager of Horseheads; and three daughters, Mrs. Lawrence (Pauline) Chamberlain of Waverly Mrs Henry ( Joanne) Croteau of Athens Township and Mrs. Arthur

 Funeral services for Mrs. Nettie E. McLaughlin, 83, a life long resident of Marsh Hill, who died Aug. 14, 1954, were held in the Marsh Hill Methodist Church on Aug. 17.  She is survived by a son, El Lee Henry of Columbia Cross Roads; five sisters, Mrs. Jennie Henry of Denver, Colo., Mrs. Ella Alexander of Roaring Branch, Mrs. Esther Covert of Muncy, Mrs. Almina Smith of Blossburg and Mrs. Iona Lewis of Johnstown; three brothers, Henry Sechrist of Liberty, Edward Sechrist of Roaring Branch and Elmer Sechrist of Ralston; and several nieces and nephews.

SHANNON, Michael- A resident of Troy since 1854 died suddenly last Sunday morning of Bright’s disease from which he had suffered for a year or more. Deceased was born in County Limerick, England in 1842. He came to Troy in 1854 with his parents. His marriage to Katherine Trahey of Overton was solemnized November 7, 1863. Nine children were born to them, all of whom with the wife survive-Daniel E of Canton; William H of Renova, Pa; John of Elmira; James of Corning; Mac of Patton, Pa; Mrs. John Handran, Elizabeth, Mae and Margaret. Five sisters also survive-Mrs. Margaret Pierce, Mrs. John Hooley, Mrs. Nellie Shaw, all of Troy, Mrs. Ted Burke of Canton and Mrs. Daniel Quaid of Ottawa, Illinois. The immediate family circle includes a niece Miss Katherine Trahey. A kindly man of the strictest integrity, the deceased justly enjoyed a large measure of popular respect and esteem. High mass was said over the remains at St John’s Catholic Church Tuesday morning by the Rev. Father Shields, assisted by father John Butler of Blossburg.

Shaw, John T—known in this Boro through his wife, Mrs. Adelle Shaw, only daughter of C B Pomeroy, died Tuesday evening in the hospital at Painesville, Ohio, from injuries sustained the preceding Saturday by collision of his automobile with a trolley car. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw were motoring with Eastern friends from Detroit to New York. The storm of Saturday overtook them. Their automobile skidded and a streetcar crashed into the machine, causing the injury to Mr. Shaw’s head from which he expired without regaining consciousness. Deceased was about 52 years old and he had risen from office boy to the presidency of the First National Bank of Detroit. He was acknowledged head of the banking interests of that city. With his wife, to whom the hearts of her Troy friends go out in unmeasured sympathy, survive three sons and three daughters. In attendance from Troy at the funeral in St James church, Detroit, of which he was a vestryman, on Thursday, were Mrs. Shaw’s brothers, John Edwin and Fayette Pomeroy, and from Elmira her aunt, Mrs. Adelle Gray. Her father was not well enough to make the journey. Interment was at Mr. Shaw’s boyhood home in Michigan.

SMITH, Dunning-the 7 year old and only son of Mr. and Mrs. Byron Smith (nee Ida Kilgore) of Elk Run, died last Sabbath morning of diphtheria at the family home. Mrs. Smith spent her girlhood in this place and has many friends who extend their sympathy to her and her husband in their sorrow.

Monday afternoon, at the residence of his sister, Mrs. O. F. Harvey, occurred the death of Isaac C. Smith, son of the late Amos Y. Smith.  Deceased was 47 years of age and consumption was the disease that carried him off.  Mr. Smith enlisted when only 16 years old in Co. C, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served with credit and was discharged June 30, 1865.  After the war he went West and settled in Joliet, Ills.  He came East with his wife about two months ago, expecting the change would be beneficial, but the desease had taken too severe a hold and death came suddenly and unexpectedly.  A few surviving members of his company are residents of Wilkes-Barre.  The funeral took place on Wednesday afternoon. Mrs. Smith is surveved by a widow, but no children.

Starr, Rex-According to information received in Elmira, Rex Starr, husband of Merab Case Starr, committed suicide as a result of overwork. The body was found in an irrigation ditch several miles from his home at Merced, California where he was employed as an engineer. He left a note to his wife giving the reason for his act. Mrs. Starr is a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. George M Case of Elmira who have been visiting her for several weeks. With her are left two young children. Burial was in San Francisco. The deceased, who was only 38 years old, was one of the outstanding hydraulic engineers of the Pacific coast. A proposed power and irrigation dam in Merced County to cost $12,000,000 was under his direction. He was a Rotarian and an Elk, both of which he was very popular.

STOUT, Josephus
 Mansfield, Oct. 24.  Josephus Stout, a resident of this place for many years, died at his home October 14 at the age of 78.  He was a veteran of the Civil War and served as Justice of the Peace at Roseville for more than 30 years.  He is survived by his widow and four children, Lillian Levey of Rutland, Jonah Stout of Rutland, Leon Stout of Canton, and Joseph Stout of Troy.  Mr. Stout was a member of the Rutland Methodist Episcopal Church.  (No year, but I believe it was 1924)

 Mrs. Bessie L. McWhorter, 70, of Mosherville, Sunday, May 5, 1963.  She was a member of Wells Union Church.  Survived by sons, Harold E. of Gillett, Sterling J. of Mosherville, Vernet E. of Pine City; daughter, Mrs. Elsie Roblyer of Mosherville; 12 grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; sisters, Mrs. Ruth Fowler and Mrs. Winnie Wilson of Orlando, Fla.; brothers Arthur Sterling of Maitland, Fla., Carl Sterling of Roseville.  Body at Holly-Keck Funeral Home.  Funeral arrangements incomplete.

Rockwell, Julia Strange (Mrs. J L)- of West Burlington died suddenly about 6 o’clock Tuesday at the age of 55 years. She will be buried at her old home in Sullivan Township, Tioga County. Deceased is survived by one brother, Joseph Strange, who resides at Sullivan and one sister, Mrs. Burley who lives near Altus in this county.

TOBEY Gladys E.

TRABISH - Mrs. Anna Tokach, age 90, a long-time resident of Indian Hill, Laceyville, Pa., left this life peacefully on Monday evening, July 30, 2007, at the Skilled Nursing Unit of Memorial Hospital in Towanda, Pa. Born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., to the late Demetri and Dorothy Kaczur Trabish on March 3, 1917, she was the third oldest of seven. Anna lived and attended school in the Wilkes-Barre area until she and her husband, Nicholas Tokach, were married on Feb. 2, 1936, and then purchased their dairy farm on Indian Hill. Her husband, Nicholas Tokach, died on July 30, 1982. She was a cherished and beloved wife, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and friend. Anna worked throughout her life for B.F. Goodrich, in Exeter, Pa.; for Arrow United, in Wyalusing, Pa.; and at Betty's Diner, on Indian Hill. She was a devoted and faithful parishioner of the St. Joachim's Roman Catholic Church, in Meshoppen, Pa. In her spare time she enjoyed gardening, baking and crafts. Surviving are her son, Perry D. Tokach, of Laceyville; and her three daughters and sons-in-law, Doris and Fred Storey of Laceyville, Susanne and Lewis Smith of Mechanicsburg, Pa., and Cindy and Art Johnson of Forkston, Pa.; a daughter-in-law, Freda Tokach of Laceyville; a brother, Charlie Trabish, of Wilkes-Barre; four sisters, Pearl Wasil of Meshoppen, Terry Boyle of New Jersey, Emily Pittarelli of Reading, Pa., and Irene (Nancy) Gemski of Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; also seven grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews. Besides her husband and parents, she was preceded in death by a son, Michael Tokach, who died on Aug. 11, 2002; a grandson, Jeffery Tokach, who died on March 30, 1976; and two sisters, Mrs. Mary Hoar and Mrs. Helen Kavinski. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Friday Aug. 3, at the Sheldon Funeral Home, Main Street, Meshoppen, with a Mass of Christian Burial at the St. Joachim's Roman Catholic Church, in Meshoppen, at 11 a.m. with Father Paul Fontanella of the church officiating. Interment will be in the St. Joachim's Cemetery in Meshoppen. Family and friends may call from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home. In lieu of flowers, those wishing may make memorial donations to the St. Joachim's Roman Catholic Church, PO Box 67, Meshoppen, Pa. 18630.   Published in the Daily Review on 8/1/2007.

She Expires After a Short Illness at Her Cottage at Harvey's Lake
Mrs. Leah, wife of Col. S. H. Sturdevant, died at 6 o'clock August 17 at her cottage at Harvey's Lake, after an illness of about a week with Bright's disease of the kidneys.  She sank rapidly since she was taken ill and hope soon sank within the hearts of the anxious watchers by her bedside.  Mrs. Sturdevant is survived by her husband, who is one of the best known business men in Wilkes-Barre, and by four children, Harry of Coney Island, Robert of Wilkes-Barre, George of Pottsville, and Miss Ellen, also of this city.  Deceased was 61 years of age. She was a sister of Dr. George Urquhart.  Mrs. Sturdevant was a lady of many admirable traits of character and her death will be sincerely mourned.  The funeral took place Monday.  Interment in Hollenback Cemetery.

VanDUSEN Richard
Wellsboro Agitator – November 2, 1932
Richard VanDusen, aged 84 years, formerly of Westfield, died recently of pneumonia at the home of his daughter, in Buffalo.  He was a civil war veteran.   He is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Fred Rudd, of Buffalo, and two sons, W. H. VanDusen, of Sabinsville, and Guy R. VanDusen of Buffalo.

VanHORN, Edgar D-died Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock at his home in Granville Township, aged 62 years. His wife survives, one son, Stanley, of Victor, Canada; three daughters, Mrs. Cora Saxton, Mrs. Ida Pepper and Mrs. Bessie Haflett; a brother, Sidney VanHorn in Oregon and two sisters, Mrs. L O Harris and Mrs. Wesley Hanscom. The funeral will be held at the home Sunday afternoon at 2, the Rev H B Allen, Troy officiating.

Mrs. Lydia French died of Pneumonia at the residence of her son in Philadelphia Jan. 2, aged 86 years.  She had been ill only a few days, but alomst from the first it was apparent that she could not recover.  She had always enjoyed good health, her only difficulty being a slight asthmatic trouble at times.  The deceased was the widow of the late Samuel French, of Plymouth, and was born at that place Oct. 23, 1803.  She was a daughter of Moses Wadhams, who died in 1804, and a granddaughter of Rev. Noah Wadhams, who died in 1806. Her surviving children are Mrs. Esther T. Wadhams and Hendrick W. French, of Wilkes-Barre; S. L. French, of Plymouth; Moses I. French, of Philadelphia, and Mrs. Emily C. French of Bethelehem.  One daughter, Mrs. Cornelia B. Loop, died in 1856.  Mrs. French spent the last summer in Wilkes-Barre and vicinity, and but recently was able to attend th funeral of her half brother, the late Caleb E. Wright, at Doylestown.

WAITE Robert L.
Age 70, of Elmira, NY. He was born April 30, 1937 in Sayre, PA, son of the late Elmer and Martha (Wayman) Waite and died Tuesday, July 31, 2007, at St. Joseph's Hospital after an extended illness. A memorial service will be announced at a later date. Walter J. Kent Funeral Home is assisting the family.
Published in the Star-Gazette on 8/2/2007.

Westfield free Press – Thursday, February 25, 1909
Frank Wakley, of Potterbrook dropped dead Thursday nite.

James Courtright of this city, a few days ago received a telegram announcing the death of his brother-in-law, Edwin Williams, which sad event occurred on October 10th, at Homer, Ohio, and was the result of heart disease in some one of its various phases.  Mr. Williams was a son of the late George W. Williams, an old-time substantial citizen of Plains, then Wilkes-Barre Township.  He went West about forty years ago and settled on a fine farm near the village of Homer, where he continued to reside up to the time of his death, with the exception of the few years while serving as sheriff of the county, he lived at Newark, the county seat.  The farm upon which Mr. Williams made his home was one purchased by his grandfather, Crandall Wilcox, after selling out his valuable coal property at Plains to join John Searls early in the thirties, and has upon it one of the largest Indian mounds to be found anywhere in the western country, still remaining in its original form.  When the Mexican war broke out he was among the first to enlist and served under Gen. Taylor in his victorious campaign on the lower Rio Grande, and was in the thickest of the fight at the capture of Bishop's Castle, at the siege and taking of Monterey and the defeat of Santa Anna's invincible army at the decisive battle of Buena Vista.  He was a genial and social companion, a kind neighbor and stood high in the estimation of the community in which he had made his home.  He is survived by a widow, daugher of the late John Searls of Plains, and an interesting family of several sons and daughters seteled near the parental home."

George B. Wood, a well known resident of this city, died at his home on South Main Street Monday afternoon of paralysis of the brain, aged 42 years.  He had been sick the past four years, but at times was able to be out and enjoy a walk.  For three weeks he suffered very much and was confined to his bed, a helpless invalid.  He leaves a wife and daughter, Mabel, aged five years, to mourn his loss.  He was a son of the late John B. Wood and a brother of John G. Wood, of Franklin Street.  During his lifetime he formed the acquaintance of a large number of people, especially in his place of residence.  He possessed a kind disposition and a charitable nature and was well liked by all.  He was the owner of the building in which the Boston Stores are located.  The room in which reposed the remains was filled on Wednesday afernoon with sorrowful friends and members of the family.  The remembrance of Mr. Wood's more generous traits of character touched the hearts of many of those present.  The services were conducted by Dr. Phillips and Rev. A. Griffin, and their last words spoken before the casket was sealed were of the lessons of death and of the lives of the living, solemn yet hopeful.  The pall bearers were L. J. Fogel, W. J. Smith, Charles Price, J. F. Wilson, James Hitchler and Mr. Hanover.

Woodward, Archie-Troy, Pa. April 6-died at Berrytown, Pa. Son of Mr. and Mrs. E B Woodward, died at the family residence at Berrytown, Wednesday night. The deceased was a teacher in the public schools several years and also a teacher of music, in which work he was a very competent instructor. Mr. Woodward had been in ill health about two years. He is survived by his parents, who are prominent farmers in Berrytown; two sisters, Mrs. Frederick Lyons of Binghamton and Mrs. Effie Burt of Portland, Oregon; also one brother, Herman Woodward of New York City. The funeral will be held from the Berrytown church Saturday with burial in the cemetery at that place.

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 29 JUL 2007
By Joyce M. Tice
Email Joyce M  Tice
9 JUL6 JUN 2007