Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Tri-Counties Newspaper Clippings
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri Counties Home Page
Warnings & Disclaimer
Online Research Library
No Commercial Use
Clippings Front Page
Tioga County Newspaper Abstracts
Chemung County Newspaper Abstracts
Town of Erin Page
Say Hello to Joyce

Erin NY
Joyce's Search Tip - February 2010 
Do You Know that you can search just the 700 pages of Clippings and Scrapbooks on the site by using the Clippings button in the Partitioned search engine on the Current What's New Page?  
You'll also find obituary and other newspaper clippings using the three county-level Obits by Cemetery buttons. Additional clippings can be found in the Birth, Marriage, and some other partitions. 
Continued from Pag 279

David M. Park, 46, formerly of Elmira Heights, died at the family home in Chicago, Dec. 31. He is survived by his widow; three daughters, Florence, Tressa and Beulah; three brothers, Tholly of Tyrone; Leon of Lakewood and Herschel of Corning; four sisters, Mrs. B. W. Vosburgh of Elmira Heights; Mrs. Lewis Newkirk of Beaver Dams; Mrs. William Day and Mrs. J. O. Brown of Detroit, Mich. Mr. Park was a former member of Oak Ridge Lodge 1.O.O.F, of this place. The funeral will be held Tuesday afternoon in Chicago. (Handwritten note of 1926 in margin).

Mrs. Mary Houck died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. F. Drake at Erin, on Sunday after an illness of several months. She was 78 years of age and is survived by her husband, Wesley Houck, two brothers, Jackson Park of Swartwood and Byron Park of Erin, one sister, Mrs. Chauncey Hollenbeck of Erin; two sons, Dudley and Douglas Houck, and one daughter, Mrs. Effie Drake, all of Erin. The funeral was held at the home of her daughter Wednesday. The Rev. Mr. VanBrocklyn of Austin Hill officiated. Interment in the Austin Hill Cemetery. (Handwritten note of March 19, 1916 and 1917 Mar. 19 in margin).

Mrs. Chauncey Hollenbeck, aged 82 years, died Tuesday at the home at Erin. She is survived by her husband and one daughter at home. Funeral services will be held at 2 o’clock Thursday afternoon at the home of N. C. Park, Erin. Burial will be Scotchtown cemetery.

Mrs. Dewitt Swezay, 66, of Erin died Monday at the home of her niece, Mrs. Cameron Brink. She is survived by two brothers, Charles Hummer, Ravena; Eugene Hummer, Horseheads; several nieces and nephews. The funeral will be held Thursday at 2 p. m. at the home of Cameron Brink. Burial in the Swartwood Cemetery (Handwritten note of May 30, 1927).

Mrs. Cook is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Merwyn Park of winter Haven, Fla. Formerly of Elba. Mrs. Cook is married to Arnold Cook of Houghton, a professor teaching accounting. They and their three children, Bettina, Judith and Danny reside at Houghton. Mrs. Cook has a choice to teach at the college or high school level. She is a 1943 graduate of Elba Central School

Mrs. Sarah Rumsey ? Passes to Her Reward After a Useful, Christian Life. ? The grim messenger saddened many hearts by removing from our midst last Saturday morning, Mrs. Sarah Rumsey, aged 77 year’s and 4 days. Mrs. Rumsey suffered from heart disease and general exhaustion but was confined to her bed for only a few days prior to her death although being in quite ill health for some two years. The end came peacefully about 7 o’clock in the morning while the deceased was surrounded by friends at her home on Front street. Mrs. Rumsey’s maiden name was Swartwood and she was born in this town a few miles west of the village, Aug. 27, 1821. She married in early maidenhood Rensselaer Ramsey, who conducted a blacksmithing business in this village for upwards of thirty year’s. He died a number of years ago. Mrs. Rumsey experienced religion in her youth and united with the M. E. church in this place, continuing her membership until her death. Her life was most beautifully consistent with the teachings of her faith and she was ever interested and active in church enterprises. Her home was always open, her hospitality unbounded. She entertained any and all Methodist ministers who chanced to come this way and many of the older preachers have enjoyed her hospitality. Her disposition was full of sunshine and all who knew her loved her. She died with full faith in the promises of god and has gone to the reward awaiting all true Christians. She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. H. G. King of this place and Mrs. S. w. Blood good of Whitewater, Wis. The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the bereaved relatives. The funeral was held from the M. E. church Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock and was attended by a large concourse of friends of the deceased. The Rev. V.W Mattoon officiated and delivered an able and touching discourse. Appropriate selections were rendered by the choir. The interment was made in Mount Hope cemetery. Among the relatives from out of town in attendance at the funeral were the following: Mrs. S. W. Bloodgood, Whitewater, Wis; Mrs. Susan Breese, Mrs. Lyman Jackson, Mrs. Frank Jackson, Mr. and Mrs. Miles Breese, Horseheads; Joseph Swartwood, Edwin Burgess and daughter, Clara, Joseph Breese and Miss Anna Breese, Breesport; Joseph Allen and wife, Ithaca; Mr. and Mrs. Fred Butts of Spencer; and F. F. McQueen, of Sayre.

James Rumsey died at his home after a long illness on Monday, Sept. 24th. The immediate cause of his death was heart disease. During his sickness, it seemed at times that he could no longer baffle with the terrible disease, yet under the care of his physician, he was enabled to rally oft times, until under its fatal grasp life slowly ebbed out. Mr. Rumsey was a man of Marked Christian character, a liberal supporter of the gospel, and as the evening life drew near, heaven had more attractions, and he longed to join that innumerable company, whose joys never end. A wife and four children mourn the loss of a husband and father. The funeral service was held at his late residence on Wednesday, a t 10 o’clock, a, m, Rev U.S. Hall, officiated.

RUMSEY. - James A. Rumsey was born in the town of Monroe, Orange Co, N.Y., Dec. 2, 1814, and died in Van Etten, Chenango Co., N.Y. Sept. 24, 1888. Brother Rumsey occupied his late home since 1844. He found the ‘Pearl of great price" at the age of twenty-two and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. From the time of his conversion he stood by the church and was one of the minister’s warmest friends. For many years he held official relation to the church and was faithful to his trust. In times of revival he was at his post ready to do what he could. During his last illness of nearly a year’s duration, he often talked of his experience and of the bright prospects of soon dwelling among the glorified. He often lifted his voice to God in prayer and shouts of praise while Christian friends were praying with him. He doubtless rejoiced with the rejoicing in Heaven when his second son and wife sought and found the savior a few days after he joined the bood-washed company. U.S. Hall

MRS. ELIZA DENN — Mrs. Eliza Denn died at the residence of her daughter at Taylorsville, near Scranton, last Friday, of general debility, in the 86th year of her age. Mrs. Denn resided for many years near Slate Hill, this county. Her husband being James F. Denn, who died many years ago. She was for 35 years a member of the Old School Baptist church at Slate Hill, and was widely respected and beloved for her Christian character and many kindly acts. She is survived by three children, as follows: Mrs. Charles Crumblebine of Taylorsville, Mrs. Mary Rumsey of Van Ettenville, and Mrs. Josiah F. Keyes of Matamoras, Pa. The remains will be brought to Slate Hill for interment, the funeral to be held on Sunday morning at 10 o’clock from the Old School Baptist church.

Death of Joseph Jadwin — Joseph Jadwin died suddenly Wednesday evening, March 6. He was born in New York City in 1802 and was therefore eighty-seven years of age. In 1814 (changed from original article which said 1714) his parents removed to Canterbury, Orange county, N. Y. where he was married to Miss Rachel Hoag. Nine children were born to them her, four of whom are still living, Mrs. Ira Osborn, of Athens, Pa; George Jadwin, Mrs. George Sortore and Mrs. Hanford Sortore, of Belmont. In 1843 he removed to Elmira, where he resided until 1864. Here his wife died and he married Mrs. E. J. Weeks, who died in 1885. In 1864 Mr. Jadwin came to Belmont, where he had since resided. He united with the church in 1836, and has ever since led a consistent Christian life. He was an elder of the Presbyterian church in this place. He was highly respected by all the community and his loss will be felt in the church, family and village. — Belmont Post.

Miss Almira Denn, aged seventy-four years, died suddenly last night, after an illness of but a few hours, at her home on Elm street. The funeral will be held at the house Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Rev. P. R. Ross, D. D. will preach the funeral sermon. Interment will be at Forest Home cemetery. (Handwritten note: March 6, 1895)

Park, Manley, (handwritten note: age 82 years), 54 Main Street, Almond, Monday, Feb. 17, 1964. He was a former Chemung County welfare commissioner. Survived by wife, Mrs. Sarah Park; sons Francis H. of Binghamton; Wilford M. of Horseheads; stepson George Thompson of Buffalo; sisters, Mrs. Ada Rick of Ithaca, Mrs. Anna Park of Corry, Pa; seven grandchildren; three great-grandchildren. Body at Crandall and Crandall Funeral Home, Hornell. Prayer service there today at 11 a.m., the Rev. Jesse Howat. Body will be taken to Breesport Baptist Church for funeral and committal service today at 3 p.m., the Rev. Mr. Howat and the Rev. Everette Duncan. Scotchtown Cemetery, Erin.

Death of Montraville Woodin — By the death of Montraville Woodin the city loses one of its real pioneers, a man who did his full part in the early days toward developing the community in which he resided and who always took an active part in all its affairs, a citizen of sterling worth and a Christian gentleman. His death was sudden, he died quietly at an early hour Wednesday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Elmira L. Bailey, North Shiawassee Street, who had cared for him but a short time before he was found dead.

Mr. Woodin was born July 26, 1824, in Middlebury, Vermont, and six years later went with his parents to Watertown, N. Y. At the age of 12 years the family removed to Genesee County, Michigan, and while a young man he went to Lansing to do carpenter work on the old state capitol building. A little later he took the contract to chop and clear what is now Michigan Avenue in Lansing from the capitol east to the river. Shiawassee County decided to sell and to locate near Burton, buying the farm which be afterward cleared at $1.25 an acre. This was more than sixty-five years ago and the farm was his home until seventeen years ago, when because of his age he decided to quit farming, and removed to Owosso to reside. On April 30th, 1852, he was united in marriage to Elsie Jane Park of Chemung Co., N. Y., who died about four years ago. To them were born six children, three of whom Survive, Charles R. Woodin of Clare, Mich., Mrs. Elmira L. Bailey and L. M. Woodin of Owasso. The deceased was one of the charter members of the Masonic lodge at Ovid and for many years walked through the woods of Middlebury to attend the meetings. He was active in political matters, a staunch Republican and an active worker. He was repeatedly chosen to fill some township office, serving in all forty years and always with credit to himself and to the satisfaction of the lectors. Mr. Woodin was a member of the Church of Christ. Funeral services were held Friday morning at the home of Mrs. Bailey and burial in the Middlebury cemetery.

He (Albert H. McDowell) married Miss Isabell Park, a sister of Alexander H. and Byron T. Park, both of whom were members of the original Board of Trustees. He was the first Sunday School Superintendent after the church was built and saw the enrollment increase to a total of 130, an exceptionally high figure.

Alexander H. Park, was the oldest son of David J. Park, a native of Bloomsburg, N. Y. and came to Erin in 1816 as one of the earliest settlers of the town. He became one of the most prominent citizens of the ___________.

Park — Park Wedding. A very pretty ______ wedding took place at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Byron Park of. Erin, N. Y., June 30 at high noon, their youngest daughter, Anna Viola, was united in marriage to Leon Park of Watkins, N. Y. The Rev. Joseph H. Richards performed the ceremony. The bridal party stood in front of a bank of laurel and evergreen. After the ceremony a delicious luncheon was served. The bride was very tastefully gowned in white India linen and Valenciennes lace and carried Bride’s roses. Her traveling suit was of London smoke Panama serge with white Milan hat. Only the immediate relatives were present. Many useful presents were received including some very nice china and cut glass. Both young people have many friends and are highly, respected. The groom is a salesman for Frost & Hoare, marble dealers. They left for a short wedding trip among friends in Pennsylvania.

Miss Marilla Park was born in the town of Erin November 8, 1827, and departed this life April l0, 1908. She was taken ill with grip April 4, followed by severe heart trouble. After a short, sharp illness, her dearest wish in this life was realized when she passed beyond with full assurance at entering the heavenly home. The funeral services ware conducted April 12 by her pastor, Rev. J. H. Richards, at the home of her brother, Byron T. Park, where she was tenderly cared for in her declining years. This home is the old homestead where she was born and almost always resided. The number of friends and neighbors at the funeral bore evidence of the high esteem in which she was held by all. The singing was rendered by Rev. and Mrs. Richards. The pall bearers were the following four nephews: Jay Park, D. D. Houck, Varnum McDowell and F. C. Rosekrans. She is survived by two sisters, Mrs. J. Wesley Houck and Mrs. Chauncey Hollenbeck; two brothers Byron T. Park and J.J. Park of Van Etten; also a host of nephews and nieces by whom she will be sadly missed. The interment was at Austin Hill cemetery.

Byron T. Park passed peacefully to rest, in his home (the same house in which he was born), Sunday evening, September 6, l925, in Erin, Chemung County, N. Y., at the age of 79 years. All his life he had been a resident of Erin and was a charter member of the Methodist Protestant Church on Austin Hill. He was one of the faithful few who have continued to hold their membership at the old church, though services there have long since been discontinued. Bro. Park had a distinct personality; he had his own manner of expression, at times he was poetical. A number of his poems have at different times been printed in the Recorder. They indicate deep thought and a rare gift. He leaves, besides his widow, Sister Jennie Park, three daughters; Mrs. Fred Rick, of Erin, N. Y.; Mrs. Leon Park of Jamestown, N. Y., and Mrs. James Blauvelt, of Erin; two sons, Marco, of Elba, N. Y., and Manley of Erin. One son, Clark, passed on a few years ago. He also leaves seventeen grandchildren. The funeral was held Wednesday at 2 p.m., at his late home. The house was filled with the many friends and relatives. The service was conducted by the writer, who was his pastor twenty years ago, assisted by Rev. Campbell, of Erin. Interment was in the Scotchtown Cemetery, where we left the tired body to await the call of the trumpet on the resurrection morn. J. H. Richards.

Park — Rick Wedding. A joyous event was solemnized on Sept. 22 at high noon, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Byron T. Park, Erin, when their daughter Ada May was united in marriage to Fred Rick, both highly esteemed and popular young people of this vicinity. The Rev. Joseph Richards, former pastor of Chemung charge, performed the ceremony. The wedding was extremely private only a limited number of friends being invited. They were unattended. The bride was dressed in a blue traveling suit with white silk waist, and the groom wore the conventional black. After the ceremony and congratulations a delicious lunch was served. The couple departed on the evening train over the Lehigh for a brief wedding trip. After Oct. 15 they will be at home on Mr. Rick’s farm at Park. Mrs. Rick is an accomplished young woman, a graduate of the Warsaw training class, and for a number of years has been a successful school teacher. Mr. Rick is an energetic farmer and for several years was employed by the Lehigh Valley railroad in the capacity of bridge carpenter, resigning this position to look after his farming interests. Both have a wide circle of friends who were pleased to learn of this union and wish them a long life ful1 of happiness and prosperity.

Brockway. ? On Sunday a.m., Nov. 10, Mrs. Fannie Shiner Brockway, aged 27 years, died from hemorrhage of the stomach, at the residence of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. J. V. Willcock. Mrs. Brockway possessed singular personal attractions. Full and elegant in feature with a sweet expressive face and a winning grace of manner that won the affectionate regards of all who knew her. She was as pure and lovely in character as in person. In early girlhood she became a Christian and united with the Presbyterian church in this place. In March, 1884, Fannie was married to Dr. F. W. Brockway, of Bernice, and has since resided there. One child, Clara was born to them in May, 1885. Mrs. Brockway is the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Shiner, of Towanda township, and 1eaves three, brothers, who were devotedly attached to their beautiful sister. In every relation in life, whether as daughter, and sister, wife and mother, she was loving, pure and true. The funeral services, conducted by her former pastor, Dr. Stewart, were held from the residence of her grandparents. The many floral tributes were fitting tokens of sincere sympathy felt for those who mourn for one “so young, so lovely, so early dead.” And yet they sorrow not as those without hope of a blessed reunion beyond the grave. “Weep not, she is not dead but sleepeth.” M.L.B.

DEATH OF MRS. BROCKWAY.— Mrs. F. W. Brockway, of Bernice, died Sunday morning at Towanda, aged 27 years. The funeral occurred Monday afternoon, from the residence of her grand-parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. V. Wilcox. Interment in Cole’s cemetery at Monroeton. The character and circumstances of her illness were given in last week’s REVIEW. Here and at Bernice where the lady was best known, there are the deepest expressions of regret at her early and untimely death. To the bereaved husband and children the most heartfelt sympathy is extended.

DR. BROCKWAY KILLED. — Was Thrown From His Wagon at Breesport Last Night. (Handwritten note: May 30, 1902) Dr. F. W. Brockway of Erin was thrown from his wagon at Breesport last evening at 8 o’clock and fatally injured by receiving a fracture of the temporal bone of the skull as his head struck on a large stone. Dr. Brockway had been at Breesport during the afternoon and started to drive to his home at Erin shortly before 8 o’clock. He drove around the main square and drew the reins on the horse to turn him into the road toward Erin. Unexpectedly the horse surged the opposite way and turned toward the country house. This threw the doctor out. His head struck on a large stone and he was picked up in an unconscious condition and carried to the home of David Harding, where he died half an hour later. Drs. Colegrove and Jackaway were called but could do nothing. Coroner Jones was also called. Dr. Brockway is survived by two daughters, Miss Clara Brockway of Erin and Mrs. Benjamin Griffis of Leona, Pa., and his father, who lives at Van Etten. The funeral announcement will be made later.

Rumsey, James E. — On the 1st. inst., James E. Rumsey, aged 43 years. Funeral at the residence, 108 Leon street, Wednesday, August 3d, at 11 A.M. Burial at Van Ettenville, N.Y.

RUMSEY.— James Emmet Rumsey was born at Van Ettenville, Chemung County, N. Y., Sept. 15 1849, and died at Syracuse, N. Y., Aug. 1, 1892, aged 42 years. He was united in marriage with Jesse S. Mills, daughter of the Rev. William J. Mills, of Central New York Conference, Aug. 12, 1879. Three children came to their home, two boys and one girl, who with the mother are left to mourn the loss of a faithful husband and father. About fourteen years ago the deceased was converted and united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he remained a member until his death. He was an industrious, hard working man, so anxious to do for those whom he loved that he sometimes did more than the demands of health would allow. Last winter during the season of special meetings held at the Furman Street church, of which he was a member, he received a remarkable baptism of the Holy Spirit and rejoiced in his religious experience as he had never done before. He had many friends who ministered to him in his need and who speak lovingly of his kindness of heart, his true manliness, his upright Christian character. The funeral services were conducted by his pastor, the Rev. C. M. Eddy, at his home in Syracuse, and his remains were taken to his old home at Van Etten for interment. While his friends mourn they are satisfied that he is at rest.


Emmett Rumsey, a former resident of this place, died last Monday of Typhoid pneumonia, at his home in Syracuse. The remains were brought to Van Etten on Wednesday, and buried in Mount Hope cemetery. The deceased was a man of rare Christian character and had many friends here. He leaves a wife and three children. Much sympathy is expressed.

Died ? at her home in this village, on Friday evening, Jan. 29, Mrs. Sovina Rumsey, aged eighty-four years. Mrs. Rumsey was the wife of the late Jeremiah K. Rumsey. She was born near Mecklenburg, and had been a resident of this town for more than sixty years. The funeral was held at the M. E. church on Monday morning, the remains being laid to rest in the Decker burying ground "Aunt Vina" will be greatly missed by all who knew her. Her life was a truly Christian one. Amasa Ellison and Mrs. Myra Lyon, of King’s Ferry, and Henry Peck and wife, of Geneva, are the re1atives from out of town present at the funeral. (Handwritten note: 1892)

ALEX. H. PARKE. — Passes Peacefully To His Reward This Morning. (handwritten note: died 21 Jan. 1898) This morning at 11:30 occurred the death of Alexander H. Parke at his home on Oak Street, at the age of sixty-seven years. Mr. Parke was born in Erin, N. Y., where he lived until three years previous to his death, where he was actively engaged in politics. He was of the democratic persuasion, and by them several times elected to the office of supervisor, serving through the who1e term of the rebellion. He was also once chairman of the board. He was an honorary member of the masonic lodge at Breesport. The deceased leaves to mourn his loss a widow, one daughter, Mrs. Flora Hanson of Erin and one son, Dr. F. B. Parke of this city. Mr. Parke was in feeble heath several years, and about four weeks ago had the attack of paralysis from which he never recovered. The burial will take place at Scotchtown cemetery, Erin, but the time or other funeral arrangements have not yet been made.

Mrs. Peleg Blauvelt, Deceased. — "Mother has left us," was the message that went over the wires and through the mails but a few days ago, telling of another desolate home and aching hearts. Mrs. Peleg Blauvelt, of Erin, was called from life on Wednesday last. (handwritten note: July 11, 1903). Deceased was born in Erin in 1833. She married Peleg Blauvelt and had always resided in Erin. About sixteen years ago she became afflicted with rheumatism and for the past thirteen years had been unable to walk. She suffered continually during that time but ever bore it with Christian fortitude. She united early in life with the M. E. church and her faith never faltered in all her trials. She is survived by a husband and two children; two brothers, Byron T. Park, of Erin, and Jackson Park, of Austin, Pa ; and three sisters, Mrs. Mary Houck Mrs. Chauncey Hollenbeck and Miss Marilla Park, of Erin. Funeral services were held at the Erin M. E. church on Friday. Interment at Scotchtown.

Sudden Death. — Joshua Underhill Rumsey Dies from a Paralytic Shock. We were called upon this week to chronicle the death of one of the oldest and most highly esteemed residents of our village, Mr. Joshua Underhill Rumsey, aged 72 years. Last Saturday noon Mr. Rumsey while about his usual work, suffered a paralytic shock and by evening became wholly unconscious. In this stupor he remained until his death which occurred on Monday evening at 5:30 o’clock. Mr. Rumsey was born in the town of Monroe, Orange County on Dec. 8th 1823. In 1835, he came with his parents to this place, where he had since made his home. In 1852, he married Miss Sarah Getman, of Johnstown, N.Y. who survives him. He followed the trades of shoemaker and baker at which he was very successful. He lived a consistent Christian and led an exemplary life. He was a valued citizen and resident, and his loss will be felt in the community. Aside from his wife he is survived by three sons, Sylvanus and Stephen, of Baldwin; and Robert, of Elmira. The bereaved relatives have the sympathy of the community in their affliction. The funeral was held from his late home Thursday afternoon, the Rev. M. J. Owen officiating.

Park.— Susan Eliza Park was born In Scipio, N. Y., April 5, 1807, and died in Erin, N. Y., November 11, 1896. She had lived in this locality since a child of seven, her father being the first settler in this neighborhood, which was then an unbroken wilderness. She married in early life, rearing a family of eleven — four deceased, her husband also having died twenty-five years ago. Her last sickness was short, she being confined to bed about ten days. Near the last she prayed the Lord to take her from her sufferings, saying, "I am happy to leave this world of care and go home to heaven. The Savior has come; good-by. Lord bless you all. Don’t worry; where I am you may be also. The word says so. Don’t forget to come. Oh, come, Lord Jesus, come quickly! Take me home! Let me lay my armor down. Let me join the holy ranks." Then she said, "This is the end of the earth." Presently she seemed beyond speaking distance with earthly friends, talking only with those gone before, saying, "There’s my babe; my beautiful babe" (which died sixty years before), afterward conversing with her mother and sisters, deceased. Thus she peacefully and triumphantly died. The funeral was conducted by the writer, assisted by Rev. D. B. Kellog, and attended by a large concourse of relatives and friends. E C. WEAVER. (handwritten note: age of 89)

Whitley — Butts Easter Nuptials — Easter Sunday was made a day of joy and festivity at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Whitley, a short distance north of this village, it being the day named for the wedding of their daughter, Miss Lois E., to Mr. Fred Butts. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. M. J. Owen, pastor of the M.E. church, in the presence of about twenty-five relatives of the couple. The bride was attired in pure white, and carried a handsome bouquet of Easter lilies. A number of handsome and valuable presents were received. The bride is a popular and highly respected young lady of our place. She is widely known as a successful school teacher, and has a host of friends here. The groom is a resident of the town of Erin, his home being on Park Hill, a few miles from this village, the happy couple left Monday morning for Tyrone, where they will spend several days with relatives and friends. They will commence housekeeping soon on Mr. Butts place. The Breeze unites with their many friends here in wishing them all happiness and prosperity in their wedded life.

Blauvelt — Moll Wedding — Erin Young Woman Married Resident at Horseheads

The marriage of Miss Mary E. Blauvelt and George Moll was celebrated at the residence of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Blauvelt in Erin at noon, Wednesday, Sept. 30th. Friends and relatives were present from Pittsburg, Pa., Watkins, Horseheads, Breesport, and Chemung. Rev. Mr. Smith, of Van Etten, performed the ceremony. The house was decorated with sweet peas and roses. The bride wore white crepe, trimmed with white satin and medallion and carried white carnations. The bridesmaid, Miss Della J. Breese, was similarly attired, carrying pink carnations. Manley Park was groomsman. Miss Ella Burt played the wedding music during and after the ceremony, beginning with the Mendelssohn march. A luncheon of twenty-five covers followed. The bride is one of Erin’s most popular and esteemed young women. Mr. and Mrs. Moll will reside In Horseheads.

JACOB WESTBROOK — Died at the Home of His Daughter Last Evening. Jacob Westbrook of Elmira, formerly of Van Etten, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Bigley, 1201 Lake street, last night at 8:45 o’clock. He was born in North Spencer October 17, 1815, and had been a resident of Van Etten since he was a child. His illness was of about two years duration. He has lived with his daughter since 1895. She has ministered to his wants and had been a faithful and devoted daughter. He bore his suffering without a murmur. Two weeks ago he was taken worse and failed rapidly until last night, when the dear Savior came and relieved him of his sufferings and took him home to that land where all is peace and ________. Still this morning we feel in our hearts he sees the beautiful light on the other shore far more beautiful that this, and one dear precious thought is "there’ll be no blind one’s there." While it seems almost impossible to part with our loved one it is a great comfort to think that if we trust in God and do His will we shall meet with him never to part again. He has been a constant member of the M. E. church since he was eighteen years of age. He had always been a loving, devoted husband and father. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife, Mrs. Mary Westbrook, three daughters and three sons to whom the last piece he sang was "Don’t you see my Jesus coming." His remains will be taken to Van Etten for burial.

Lewis Miller — Death of a Man Born in Chemung County in 1805. Lewis Miller a former Chemung county resident died at his home in Michigan on March 12th. He was a son of Jacob Miller, who built the Miller homestead on Maple Avenue in 1805. Lewis was born at this homestead September 7, 1805, and is the last of seven sons. He served two terms as supervisor of the town of Southport. He removed to Michigan thirty-five years ago. His ancestors were among the earliest settlers of Chemung valley. His grandfather, Abraham Miller settled in the vicinity prior to 1790. Abraham was the first judge of Tioga County. All the territory including Chemung County was then a part of Tioga. He was also a captain of the Revolutionary army. The son, Jacob, followed farming, and so did Lewis, he deceased. His brother, Edmond, father of Mr. Thomas S. flood served in the state legislature. The family has always been one of the most respected in this vicinity.

Josie May Houck was born Dec. 5, 1881, and fell asleep in Jesus Feb. 9, 1905, aged 23 years, 2 months and 4 days. She united with the Methodist Protestant church at Austin Hill in 1898, and ever remained a loyal and faithful member. She was one of God’s faithful ones who was always ready to bear his cross and anxious for the salvation of others during her illness. She was patient and cheerful and repeatedly said if it was God’s will she was ready to go. As she was nearing the end she said to a member of the family, "I am almost home." She will be greatly missed in the home, in the church and in the neighborhood, but we humbly bow in submission to Him who doeth all things well. She leaves to mourn her loss a father, mother, two brothers and two sisters and a host of sorrowing other relatives and friends. The funeral was held from the home Feb. 11 services being conducted by her pastor. The interment was in Scotchtown cemetery. Rev. E. D. Ridgeway, Pastor

Death of David Park ? After battling with the infirmity of age for many months; David Park fled from this earthly life late Friday of last week, January 6th. He had passed his 84th birthday which when considering the ceaseless industry of the man is remarkable. In 1848 he was married to Cornelia A. Hummer and to these parents seven children, five of whom are living, were born, viz.: Treslian, Chester, Orin, Miner and Armilla Rosenkrans, who, with the mother and widow and a sister, Mrs. Jane Woodin, of Owasso, Mich., are left to mourn the loss of father, husband and brother. His early married life was spent in Erin, where he lived for 14 years. Then they moved to Breesport and remained there for three years, when they came to Tyrone, where for the last 39 years they have with tireless industry been engaged in agricultural pursuits. In his 38th year he was converted and joined the Methodist class in the neighborhood. He became class leader at once and was soon made Sabbath school superintendent, thus allying himself with the building of Methodism in the rural districts in which he then resided. Directly after his conversion he erected the family altar, which was ever kept in repair and in no small measure contributed to his faithful Christian life. Kind in his home, thoughtful as a neighbor, faithful in studying and practicing the truths of the scriptures, he passes from our midst to his reward in the better land.

The funeral services were held Sabbath morning at the M. E. Church, Tyrone, Rev. R. De. W. Stan1ey officiating: burial in the family plot in Tyrone Union cemetery.

_______Resulted in Death. ? ______B. McDowell received the intelligence that his mother Mrs. Morton Wood, died in New York Tuesday evening this week very shortly after having undergone an operation for the removal of A tumor. The news was the greater shock as a message received that same evening stated that the operation had been completed at 5 o’clock and indications were favorable. Mrs. Wood, accompanied by her husband and daughter, went to the city Monday last leaving this place by the 9:12 train in the morning. The remains were brought here last evening by the 4:41 train and given into the charge of the undertaker by whom they were then taken to Mr. Wood’s home near Erin. The funeral wil1 be held from the home tomorrow (Friday) afternoon.

Mrs. Wood’s maiden name was Park and she was born in the town of Erin, June 16, 1855, hence her age was 55 years, 9 months and 6 days. Her whole life was passed in the town of Erin, where she was most highly respected and esteemed. She was a member of the M. E, church and had for the greater portion of her like been a active, devoted Christian. She is survived by her husband, two sons, Varnum McDowell of Erin, and B. B. McDowell, of this place and one daughter, Miss Lola McDowell of Erin. The deceased was quite extensively known in this place and bereaved have the sympathy of the whole community in their affliction.

The death of Mrs. Isabelle McDoe1 Wood occurred Tuesday of last week in New York city, she having gone there for an operation. Mrs. Wood was accompanied by her husband, Martin Wood, and daughter, Lola McDoel. The remains were brought to her late home in Erin Wednesday. The funeral was held Friday from the house, Rev. D. B. Kellogg officiating, assisted by the Rev, Mr. Gardner. A large number of relatives and sympathizing friends attended. Appropriate selections were sung by M. L. VanGorden, Mrs. D. B. Kellogg and Miss Nellie E. Smith. The floral offerings were beautiful, Mrs. Wood was a member of the M. E. church and active in sunday school work, having a large class for over two years, who will mourn the loss of their teacher. She is survived by a husband and three children — Burr McDoel, Van Etten, and Varnum and Lola, of Erin. (Handwritten note: Mar 22, 1898)

Mrs. Lucy B. Park, Deceased — Death has again invaded the ranks of time living and in removing from our midst Mrs. Lucy Barnes Park, one of more than ordinary beauty of life and character has been called to her reward. She was born Dec. 1, 1840, in the town of Van Etten, not far from her last earthly home. She was one of five generations who in succession have possessed and lived on the farm where she died. She was married Nov. 6, 1861, to James Jackson Park. Their home for the first 20 or 25 years was near Erin. Since then her home has been here. She was the third of a family of six children, two sons and four daughters, one brother and two sisters having preceded her to the other world, Mrs. Eliza Wood, of this place, and Thomas Barnes, of Buffalo, alone remaining. Mrs. Park was a woman of intelligence and refinement, having been educated at the Ithaca High School and afterward taught for a number of years. She became a Christian in her schooldays and united with the M. E. church of Swartwood. Her life has been conscientious and true, her spirit quiet, loving and resigned. The funeral was held from her late home on Monday and was attended by a very large company of relatives and friend from far and near. Among the many floral tributes the W.C. T. U sent a basket of beautiful flowers as a testimony of their high esteem to one who was deeply interested in their work . He pastor, Rev. C.D. Smith, of Van Etten, by request preached from the text used at her mother’s funeral: John 14:27. She will be greatly missed by all but especially by her sons, Jay, of this place, and Martel, of Ludlowville. (Handwritten note: June 21, 1902)

Obituary. ? Josie May Houck was born Dec. 5, 1881 and fell asleep in Jesus Feb 9, 1905, aged 23 years, 2 months und 4 days. She united with the Methodist Protestant church at Austin Hill in 1898, and ever remained a loyal and faithful member. She was one of God’s faithful ones who was always ready to bear his cross and anxious for the salvation of others during her illness. She was patient and cheerful and repeatedly said if it was God’s will she was ready to go. As she was nearing the end she said to a member of the family, ‘‘I am almost home." She will be greatly missed in the home, in the church and in the neighborhood, but we humbly bow in submission to Him who doeth all thing s well. She leaves to mourn her loss a father, mother, two brothers and two sisters and a host of sorrowing other relatives and friends. The funeral was held from the home Feb. 11, services being conducted by her pastor. Interment was in Scotchtown cemetery. Rev. E. D. Ridgeway, Pastor.

Prominent Citizen Dead ? Steven Osborne, one of our first citizens and oldest residents, passed very peacefully away this (Friday) morning at 7:30 o’clock at his home on Main Street. He was taken violently ill on Wednesday morning, and suffered a paralytic shock, from which death resulted. Mr. Osborne was born in Greene, Chenango County, the son of Jonah and Sylvia Osborne. He was 77 years of age, and had lived the life of a Christian for over 50 years, having been in early life a Presbyterian, and later a member of the Methodist church. He is survived by his wife and four children, Miss Emma Osborne and Selah Osborne of this place, Mrs. L. F. Crum, of Ithaca, and Nathan Osborne, of the West. The funeral services will be held at the family residence on Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock. A large circle of friends sympathize with the family in their bereavement.

Nathan Osborn, died, at Lakeview, Montcalm County, Mich., on May 17, 1897, Nathan Osborne, oldest son of the late Stephen Osborne, of this place. The subject of this sketch was born in the town of Van Etten, Chemung County, Dec. 19, 1843, being in the 54th year of his age. He enlisted from Van Etten, May 1861 in the 23 Regiment N. Y. V. I. being one of the first to respond to the President’s call. Having been discharged on account of severe sickness, he enlisted again in March 1864 as Sargeant N. Y. Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. He was taken prisoner at Petersburg, Va. and endured the horrors of the Dansville prison for some time. Mr. Osborne had been in poor health for a number of years. He leaves a wife and five children, at his late home in Michigan; a mother and sister Emma Osborne, of Van Etten; a brother Selah, of Elmira Heights; and a sister, Mrs. May E. Crum of Ithaca, to mourn his untimely death.

The Late Stephen Osborne ? The funeral of Stephen Osborne, whose death occurred last Friday morning, was held from his late residence on Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock. There was a large attendance of relatives and near friends. The reverend J. H. Ross officiated, and the singing was by the following quartette: Mrs. Jessie Marshall, Miss Cora Warner, and Messrs. H.F. Benfield and D. W. Murray. Miss Frances Murray was organist. Among the relatives in attendance are the following: Mr. and Mrs. L. F. Crum and children, of Ithaca; Ira Osborne, Will Osborne and wife and Mr. and Mrs. Campbell, of Athens, Pa.

SUDDEN DEATH AT ERIN ? The Unexpected Demise of Mrs. Thomas ? The Funeral Largely Attended. Mrs. Thomas, aged sixty-four years, wife of Isaac Thomas, one of our oldest and most respected citizens, died last Sunday evening, about 8 o’clock. Mrs. Thomas was at the gate, talking with a lady neighbor, and returned the house. In about ten minutes she was found lying dead on the floor. She was alone at the time. Mr. Thomas had gone to church. Mrs. Thomas was a kind and Christian lady, and will be sadly missed. She leaves besides her husband, two daughters, Lydia Butts and Pearl Crandall, and two sons, Lewis and John, all, of Erin. Coroner Westlake, of Elmira, was called, and decided she died of heart disease and an inquest was not necessary. The funeral was held Tuesday, at the M. E. church of which she was a member. Rev. F. M. Windnagle, of Burdett N.Y., a former pastor here, officiated. The funeral was largely attended. The pall-bearers were Alex Shoemaker, Arnold Barton, A. A. Goodrich, S. F. Maricle and O. P. Robinson, A choir, composed of Mrs. W. H. Howe, Mrs. J. J. Turton, Miss Addie Elston and Messrs. Wood, Dibble and Blauvelt. Mrs. J. W. Coleman, organist, sang some appropriate selections. Mr. Thomas and family wish through the TELEGRAM, to thank their friends who so kindly assisted them in their sad affliction.

Death at Erin, N.Y. ? Mrs. Thressa Rosenkrans, wife of Lyman Rosenkrans, died at her home, at Erin, on Tuesday, February 28th, aged fifty-seven years. She was the daughter of Elijah Rugar, of Van Etten, and is survived by a husband and two children, Lamott O. Ennis and Mrs. B. B. McDowell, both of Erin. The funeral was largely attended at her late residence on Thursday, and services were conducted by the Baptist minister of Spencer, W. H. Blauvelt. Harvey Houck, Charles Baker, John Davis, E. W. Hawley and A. Becker acted as bearers.

Death of Mrs. Mercy J. Osborne ? Mrs. Mercy J. Osborne, aged 72 years, died at about 8 o’clock Wednesday morning of this week from a complication of ailments. Some seven years ago she suffered a paralytic shock which enfeebled her for the remaining years of her life. Recently she was affected by heart trouble, and other infirmities became apparent, which compelled her to take to her bed last Friday night, and death followed the constant decline that then set in. Mrs. Osborne’s name was McDowell and she was born in Erin, Sept. 28, 1827. In 1846 she was married to Mr. Uriah Osborne, of this town whom she survived some years. She was a member of the M.E. church, having professed religion in her early life, and lived a devoted and active Christian. She is survived by three sons, Thomas J. and Benjamin U., of this place; and Rodney B., of Lowman; and one brother, Rodney McDowell, of Aurora, Ill. The funeral will be held from her late home Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock, to be in charge of the Rev. P. R. Pittman of the M. E. church.

Manley Park Dies; Ex-Welfare Chief - Manley C. Park, who served as Chemung County’s public welfare commissioner for 12 years during the depths of the depression, died Monday at Hornell. Mr. Park, who was 82 (80 in the article is crossed out and 82 is handwritten in) had lived for 17 years at 54 Main St., Almond. He died in the Harris Nursing Home, Hornell, after a long illness. Mr. Park was a native of Erin, where his family was among the first settlers and where several landmarks still bear the Park name. He was elected county welfare commissioner in 1927 and won re-election to three successive three-year terms. In 1931 he married Mrs. Sarah Thompson, a former Nunda school teacher, who survives him. During his tenure as welfare commissioner they lived at the County Home at Breesport, where Mrs. Park served as matron.

A Recent Death in Erin – Erin, Aug. 17 —Mrs. Rachel White, aged 80 years, died Saturday, Aug. 7, 1897, at her residence about 4 1-2 miles from Van Etten. On the morning of July 7th, she arose somewhat earlier than common and passed into the room of her daughter, Nancy, to talk a few minutes. She turned to cross the room but was taken dizzy and fell. The fall resulted in a fracture and dislocation of her hip. Owing to her advanced age, nothing could be done to relieve her intense sufferings, and death resulted on the morning of August 7. The funeral was held Aug. l0th, the Rev. Mr. Kellogg officiating. Interment was made in the Austin Hill cemetery. Mrs. White had resided in her late home since 1840. She is survived by two daughters and three sons: Miss Nancy White who had faithfully cared for her mother for a number of years; Mrs. Mary Van Duzer, of Tecumseh, Oklahoma; Alonzo, of Ramey, Pa.; Sylvester, of Elmira; and Alexander, of Wayland.

Urwin Staines, Jr., 26, of Albion, brother of Elmer F. Staines of 23 Madison Ave., died Wednesday (March 7, 1951) in a Buffalo Hospital after an illness of almost two years. Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Marie Park Staines; a son, William; his mother, Mrs. Urwln Staines, Sr.; another brother, Paul of Albion, and four sisters, Mrs. John Ronco of Seattle, Wash., and Mrs. Albert Revell, Mrs. Lynn Parsons and Miss Esther Staines, all of Albion, and several nieces and nephews. He was a member of the Albion Free Methodist Church, the Farm Bureau, and the Orleans County 4-H Senior Council. The Rev. Harry Girts will conduct services at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Grinnell Funeral Home where friends may call. Burial will be in Mt. Albion Cemetery. (Handwritten note on back: Marie Park, daughter of Merwyn and Ethyl Park. Merwyn, son of Clark and Mabel Park)

4 Parke Brothers in Service; James Recovering from Wounds

Four sons of Mrs. Laura M. Parke and the late James Z. Parke, 307 South Ave., are in the service. Pvt. James Z. Parke Jr. is in a hospital in England where he is recovering from wounds received in action with the Third Army last December. He entered the service in November, 1943, received basic training at Ft. McClellan, Ala., and later took a special course in mechanics at Ft. Benning, Ga. Cpl. Rodney J. Parke is stationed at Camp Claiborne, La., where he has received special training in gas and oil distribution. He has been in the Army since last March.

Sgt. Rex M. Parke, who enlisted in the Army Medical Corps in April, 1942, is now with the 84th General Hospital somewhere in England. He took basic training at Camp Joseph T. Robinson, Little Rock, Ark., and later graduated as a dental technician from Fitzsimmans General Hospital in Denver, Colo. S/Sgt. Bayre F. Parke has been overseas since October, 1943, and has seen action with the 28th Infantry Division in France, Luxembourg and Germany. He entered the service in November, 1942, was stationed at Camp Livingston, La., and was trained in amphibious landing operations.

Nancy A. White died at the home of Byron Park, in the town of Erin, Monday morning, Dec. 22 of dropsy, aged 53 years and 7 months. The funeral was held at the church, at Austin Hill Wednesday and interment was in Austin Hill cemetery. Wm. Deeker, of this place, had

charge of the arrangements. (Handwritten note of 1902)

Mrs. Mary Houck died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. M. F. Drake at Erin on Sunday after an illness of several months. She was 78 years of age and is survived by her husband, Wesley Houck, two brothers, Jackson Park of Swartwood and Byron Park of Erin; one sister, Mrs. Chauncey Hollenbeck of Erin; two sons, Dudley and Douglass Houck, and one daughter, Mrs. Elfie Drake, all of Erin. The funeral was held at the home of her daughter Wednesday. The Rev. Mr. VanBrocklyn of Austin Hill officiated. Interment in the Austin Hill cemetery. (Two Handwritten notes of March 19, 1916 and March 19, 1917 )

Mrs. Dewitt Swezay, 66, of Erin, died Monday at the home of her niece, Mrs. Cameron Brink. She is survived by two brothers, Charles Hummer, Ravena; Eugene Hummer, Horseheads; several nieces and nephews. The funeral will be held Thursday at 2 p. m. at the home of Cameron Brink. Burial in the Swartwood Cemetery. (Handwritten note of May 30, 1927)

Mrs. Chauncey Hollellbeck, aged 82 years, died Tuesday at the home at Erin. She is survived by her busband and one daughter at home. Funeral services will be held at 2 o’clock Thursday afternoon at the home of N.C. Park, Erin. Burial wi1l be in Scotchtown cemetery.

David M Park, 46, formerly of Elmira Heights, died at the family home in Chicago, Dec. 31. He is. survived by his widow; three daughters, Florence, Tressa and Beulah; three brothers, Tholly of Tyrone; Leon of Lakewood and Herschel of Corning; four sisters, Mrs. B. W. Vosburgh of Elmira Heights; Mrs. Lewis Newkirk of Beaver Dams; Mrs. William Day and Mrs. J. 0. Brown of Detroit, Mich. Mr. Park was a former member of Oak Ridge Lodge ______of this place.

Mr. Thaddeus S. Rumsey died of consumption at his home near this village on Wednesday morning, May 3rd, at about eight o’clock. Mr. Rumsey was sixty years of age, and for more than a year had been a sufferer from the dread disease which caused his death. His home for many years had been in this place and he was a prominent member and a pillar of the Methodist Episcopal church. The deceased was well known throughout this entire section, and was highly esteemed by all. He leaves, besides his wife, two daughters, Mrs. F. H. Barnes, of this place, and Mrs. Miner D. Park, of Tyrone, and a son, Abie. The funeral was held from the M. E. church this afternoon at two o’clock and was largely attended. The Knights of Honor, of which order he was a member, were in attendance. The interment was made in Mount Hope cemetery. Many friends sincerely sympathize with the family in their bereavement.


RHEUMATISM. — A very simple remedy for rheumatism of the extremities, and one that very often gives great relief is, to take a large piece of thick flannel, sprinkle it well with finely pulverized sulphur, and then bind snugly about the limb, with the sulphur next the skin.

FOR Scarlet Fever.— An eminent physician of Chicago says he cures ninety-nine out or every hundred eases of scarlet fever by giving the patient warm lemonade with gum arabic dissolved in it. A cloth wrung out in hot water and laid upon the stomach should be removed as rapidly as it becomes cool.

For Weak Nerves — A physician gives the following directions for the treatment of weak nerves: You must conform to the habits of hygiene, eating food which contributes those elements, necessary for the building up lot and invigoration of bone, muscle, and nerve, and avoid all heating or stimulating preparation of food.

Sick Room Purifier — If onions are sliced and kept in a sick room they will absorb all the atmospheric poison. They should be changed every hour. In the room of a small-pox patient they blister and decompose very rapidly, but will prevent the spread of the disease. Their application has also proved effectual in the case of snake-bites.

About the Hair — To keep the hair healthy, keep the head clean. Brush the scalp well with a stiff brush, while dry. Then wash with Castile soap, and rub into the roots, bay rum, brandy, or camphor water. This done twice a month will prove beneficial. Brush the hair with soft water at the toilet, and do not use _____

__Scarlet Fever, Scarlatina and Scarlet Fever are one and the same disease. It is very infectious. A very mild case may give rise by infection to a very severe one. Infection is contained in all discharges from the body during the progress of the disease and recovery _____ more especially from the skin during convalescence, and when the cuticle is being shed. The dry particles which are separated from the skin are highly infectious, and retain their infectious nature for an unknown time, unless thoroughly disinfected. They are disseminated through the air, and ______ attached to articles of furniture, clothing, draperies, and wall _____, etc. Thus the disease may readily be conveyed from one person to another by those who are not themselves suffering from it. It is also conveyed, as has been mentioned, by bedding clothing, furniture and other articles, and by rooms which,, having been exposed to infection have not had their floors, ceilings or walls disinfected or had the wall papers removed. No child should be permitted to go to school from an infected house and communication of such in play or otherwise with healthy children should be prevented. When a person has had the disease he should not be permitted to mix with others until he has perfectly recovered and has had his clothes thoroughly disinfected; and not even then without the permission of his medical attendant. Nor is it advisable that any one who has had the slightest communication with a person suffering from the disease should go to any church meeting, public house, fair or market, etc. Neglect of these precautions is a prolific cause of the spread of this disease. Attendants of persons suffering from Scarlatina should be chosen, if possible, from those who have already had the disease. "It is believed that the dispersion of contagious dust from the patient’s skin is impeded by keeping his entire body (including limbs, head and face) constantly anointed with oil or other grease; and some practitioners also believe this treatment to be of advantage to the patient himself. When the patient’s convalescence is complete, the final disinfection of his surface should be effected by warm baths, with abundant soap, taken on three or four successive days (under the direction of the medical attendant), till no trace of roughness of the skin remains. After this process, and with clean clothes, he may be deemed again safe for association; but previously to this, however slight may have been his attack, he ought always to be regarded as dangerous to persons susceptible of Scarlatina. — MR. SIMON, Medical Officer to Privy Council.

To make good sticking-plaster, put two spoonful of balsam of Peru to six of izinglass, melted with very little water, and strained. Mix these well together in a small stone jar over the fire. Pin out some black Persian or sarsenet on a board, and, dipping a brush into the mixture, pass it over the silk five or six times; then hold it to the fire, but not very near, and it will soon become black and shining.

A DIPTHERIA CURE: EDITORS ITHACAN: — I desire to inform the public through the columns of your valuable paper of the following effective cure for that dread disease, diphtheria. The ingredients, the names of which are herewith given, are to be used in producing a strong vapor, the inhaling of which by the patient destroys in a short time the fungus or germs of the disease in the throat, and, puts him on the road to recovery. To produce the vapor that will clear the throat from diphtheric symptoms, use the following:

Into a vessel containing one pint of water, put

1 oz. Carbolic Acid,

1 oz. Eucalyptus Oil,

6 oz. Spirits of Turpentine.

Keep the mixture boiling in the room, or where the patient can inhale the vapor.

The above formula was given me by Conductor Aaron Barnes, of the Northern Central Railway, who says he can vouch for its efficiency, as he has used it in his own family.




There are minor accidents liable to occur at any time, which, if promptly treated, may prevent serious results.

Moths are discouraged from their depredations in carpets if they are sprinkled with salt before sweeping.

All young meats should be well cooked. Veal cutlets are improved by a tomato sauce poured aver them.

A new cotton dress, accidentally torn, may be mended so the rent will not show by starching a piece of the goods and ironing it on.

Fish and eggs are the diet for spring as nature plainly intimated when she provided them in such plenty at this season.

Keep fish while scaling them in a pan of water; then the scales will not fly over you, and when done the water may be poured from them before they are put in the slops.

Garnish beefsteak, mutton chops or fish with sprigs of water cress; it will add an appetizing look as well as flavor to them. In short, eat it on every occasion possible. It is a better blood purifier than any medicine you can take.

You can sweeten and dry a damp closet by placing in it a pall half full of quick lime; it will slake slowly and may then be still useful if thrown on damp sour land or on the compost heap. A pan of charcoal will serve much the same purpose in the closet.

Nothing will make a darn so nearly invisible as the use of threads drawn from the same material. So when you draw a thread to straighten the end a tablecloth or napkin save it and the piece cut for mending worn places, when, if neatly done, will take sharp eyes to find the spot. This is true for rents in a dress or other material as well, and especially so of carpets.

A woman so stout that she has a pang from simply looking at weighing scales, can easily put herself in a better condition in body and mind by reducing the quantity of bread eaten, omitting potatoes altogether, and taking mainly a diet of meat, fruit, and a few vegetables. Try it.

A highly recommended cure for corns is to place in a cup a dozen pearl buttons, squeeze the juice of a lemon over them and leave them until the buttons are dissolved and reduced to a pasty substance. This may take several days. Bind the paste on the corn for several nights until relief will be found by the corn coming out, not to return.

Prevention of bed sores on an invalid confirmed to bed is easier than cure. Rub the exposed parts three or four times a day with a little alcohol, or a solution made by pouring just enough water on a lump of alum to dissolve it; when this has dried powder with fine French chalk; pull the sheet perfectly smooth and pin it so it cannot wrinkle. Once a day rub a little oxide of zinc ointment well _____ in before applying the powder. ____very dry omit the alcohol or _____. B.M. ? Kindly tell me of a remedy that is good for ringworm.

Answer ? Sulphurous (not sulphuric) acid is an excellent remedy. The pure acid should be applied twice a day.

G.P.C ? Please tell me a good cure for sick headache. I have them quite often. I think they are from the stomach.

Answer ? Take a good dose of citrate of magnesia when you feel an attack coming on.

R.A.L ? Kindly publish directions for making a good remedy for a cold in the head.

Answer ? Take equal parts of powdered camphor, borax ad salt. Use it as snuff.

J. F. Whitmyer, M.D.

To cure a FELON. ? As soon as it makes its appearance apply a poultice, of equal parts of saltpeter and brimstone, mix with sufficient lard to make a paste and remix as soon as it gets dry. A few applications will effect a cure.

DIPHTHERIA ? A gargle of sulphur and water has been used with much success in cases of diphtheria. Let the patient swallow a little of the mixture. Or, when you discover that your throat is a little sore, bind a strip of flannel around the throat wet in camphor, and gargle salt and vinegar occasionally.

CURE FOR SMALLPOX ? “I am willing to risk my reputation as a public man, wrote Edward Hine to the Liverpool Mercury, "if the worst case of smallpox can not be cured in three days, simply by the use of cream of tartar. One ounce of cream of tartar, dissolved in a pint of water, drunk (?) at intervals when cold, is a certain, never failing remedy. It has cured thousands, never leaves a mark, never causes blindness, and avoids tedious lingering.” ? Boston Herald

A CURE FOR DIPHTHTERIA. ? Speaking of a celebrated doctor who made this disease a specialty, our correspondent says: All he took with him was powdered sulphur and a quill, and with these he cured every patient without exception. He put a teaspoonful of flour of brimstone into a wine-glass of water and stirred it with his finger instead of a spoon, as the sulphur not readily amalgamates with water. When the sulphur was well mixed he gave it as a gargle, and in ten minutes the patient was out of danger. Brimstone kills every species of fungus in man, beast and plant in a very few minutes. Instead of spitting out the gargle, he recommended the swallowing of it. In extreme cases in which he had been called just in the nick of time when the fungus was too nearly closing (the throat) to allow the gargling, he blew the sulphur through a quill into the throat, and after the fungus has shrunk to allow of it then the gargling. If the patient cannot gargle, take a live coal, put it on a shovel and sprinkle a spoonful or two of flour of brimstone at a time upon it; let the sufferer inhale it, holding the head over it, and the fungus will die. If plentifully used the room may be filled almost to suffocation and the patient can walk about in it inhaling the fumes with the doors and windows closed. The mode of fumigating a room with sulphur has often cured most violent attacks of cold in the head, chest, etc. at any time and is recommended in cases of consumption and asthma. ? Cleveland Herald

A Magical Cure ? MARGARET SPENCER. ? A child given up by three physicians to die of pleurisy! another of croup and still another of pneumonia. These illnesses came under my immediate attention, and as all three patients are now well I want to tell all mothers and weary nurses the "magical cure." Poultices! Old-fashioned flaxseed poultices. And I want to give Dr. Donaldson’s recipe, for in all the great city of New York none have had greater success than he has. They are to be used on the chest and back, or in summer on the bowels, when children are such sufferers from gastrointestinal diseases. For great soreness, pain, distention, thirst, inflammation and anguish, they soothe like magic. A miserable, clammy, ill-prepared poultice is worse than none, everybody knows — all lumps and abominable slipperyness. Dr Donaldson says to all mothers: "Never be without flaxseed meal on hand. It is usually called for in the night. Of this, take one pint and stir in enough warm water to saturate thoroughly, without too much wetting, this being a great mistake, for a dripping poultice is a failure. Have ready a strip of cloth of such dimensions that when made into a sack it will completely cover the surface for which it is needed. Spread evenly to the depth of one-fourth of an inch upon one-half the cloth, then bring the other half over the face of the poultice and sew the edges together to keep it neatly ina closed sack. Lay this poultice warm upon the surface, and over it spread a compress of cotton wool or several layers of soft cloth (well warmed), so as to cover considerably beyond the affected part, on all sides. It is a warm pack, and unless perfectly protected from the air is worse than none — a positive evil. No other measure," adds Dr Donaldson, ‘‘has given so satisfactory results as this simple one. In all forms of pulmonary and intestinal affections it is invaluable. Torturing thirst may be soothed magically." Since learning this I have been anxious to "tell it to all peoples under the sun".

A REMEDY FOR SCARLET FEVER ? Dr. E. Woodruff, nineteen years a practicing physician at Grand Rapids, Mich., furnishes the Springfield (Ia.) Republican the following. "Wash the child from head to foot with strong saisoda water, warm, then wipe dry.Then immediately bathe freely with oil from beef marrow or from butter, applied freely. Then give freely catnip tea, or some good sweating article, pennyroyal, etc. Repeat every half hour, or as often as they get worrisome or wakeful, and in one or two days they will be entirely cured. I have been called to cases where they have been fully broke out, and in this way entirely cured them in twenty-four hours. I have had thirty cases on hand at a time, and never lost a case in my life. But now I am old and about to give up my business and seeing from the papers that your town is infected with the epidemic I wish to do all can. It is so simple. You ___to call a doctor. A good ___ can attend to them. If by opening the pores of the skin, and sweating you can let off the poison, which is an animalcula, or animal in the blood, the cure is complete. The same is equally good in fevers of all kinds, hard colds and coughs. I take the ground that all diseases are caused by a stoppage of the pores of the skin, retaining the poison, or living animals, in the blood, and all you have to do at first is to open the doors of the system and let them out, or drive them out. All people know a warm bath is good. But you apply oil to the skin and it keeps the pores open for a long time and gives the enemy a chance to get out. I hope all will try it and they will soon be convinced."

To EXTINGUISH KEROSENE FLAMES — One of the most ready means is to throw a cloth of some kind over the flames and thus stifle them, but as the cloth is not always convenient to the kitchen, where such accidents are most likely to occur, some one recommends flour as a substitute, and which it is said, promptly extinguishes the flames. It rapidly absorbs the fluid deadens the flames, and can be readily gathered up and thrown out of doors when the fire is out.


Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 09 JUN 2007
By Joyce M. Tice
Email Joyce M  Tice
Submitted by Claire Smith
You are the visitor since the counter was installed on 09 JUN 2007