The History Center on Main Street


61 North Main Street, Mansfield, Pennsylvania 16933

Community Genealogy & HIstory


Church Histories and Records, Bradford County, Pennsylvania

 
Wells Township Churches, Bradford County PA
Wells Township Page
Transcribed and submitted by J. Kelsey Jones

The first christian organization in the townships of either Wells or Columbia, was effected in 1795. Rev. Daniel Thatcher, a Missionary of General Assembly, formed a church at Elmira, N. Y. that year; and finding two or three Presbyterian families over the State Line, in Wells, he constituted them as a branch of the Elmira, or Newtown Church. The members soon moved away, and nothing further is known concerning the society. The first Minister of the gospel to locate in the these parts, was Rev. John Smith, from Dighton, Mass.; who settled on what is known as the Beckwith farm, under the Connecticut title, in 1804, and remained several years. He was a Congregational Presbyterian, of good learning and ability. "The word of the Lord was precious in those days;" and the inhabitants would come up all the way from Pine Woods to the central part of Wells, on ox sleds and on foot, to attend Mr. Smith’s meetings. His quotations from the Scriptures, and Watts’ Hymns, were often striking, and never to be forgotten. In 1806 Solomon Judson emigrated to Wells (Mosherville), from Greenville, N.Y. He, and his sons Ithamer, Samuel and Isaac, as well as several females of his family, were church members. About the same time Dea. Silas Waldron came in from Ct., when prayer and reading meetings were held, at such times as they were without preaching. Mr. Waldron returned to Ct.; Solomon Judson & wife died; the sons moved to the west, and the little community was broken up. The Presbyterian Church of Wells was organized at Mosherville, March 3, 1821, by Rev. M. M. York, and Rev. Simeon R. Jones. The Presbytery of Susquehanna, with which it was connected, met here in June 1821. This society, always feeble, became extinct in the course of ten of fifteen years, in consequence of removals.

Reference:

  1. Jewell, Rev. Joel. History of the Presbyterian Church of Wells, The North Church of Wells, the Presbyterian Church of Wells and Columbia, the Presbyterian Church of Columbia Crossroads, the Presbyterian Church of Sylvania. 1876. Manuscript in possession of Presbyterian Church Historical Society, Philadelphia.