|
|
![]() |
THE CHURCHES OF ORWELL, PENNSYLVANIA (Congregational, Presbyterian, Methodist, Federated) 1803-1951 By
Copyright, 1955
Retyped & Submitted by Carol Jacobs
|
CHAPTER V
ERECTION OF SECOND CHURCH AND DIVISION.
On January 22, 1849, the trustees met according to previous notice at the house of Zebulon Frisbie with Frisbie, Bronson, Woodruff, H. Champlin, and Matthews present. A subscription having been put into their hands “for building a Meeting House on Orwell Hill, near the Post-Office” amounting to over Eighteen hundred dollars, -- they voted that the subscription be accepted and a House be built accordingly. The next meeting of the trustees, held February 17, found trustees present, the secretary, A. G. Matthews, being absent. H. Champlin was appointed secretary protem. It was voted to receive proposals for building a Meeting House on “the point of land between the roads near C. G. Gridley’s Shop, on C. Frisbie’s land.” Morris Woodruff tendered his resignation as trustee. At the following meeting James D. Newell was appointed in his place. At the next meeting it was decided to change the location to the corner of the public green west of the post-office, and to accept the proposal made by Doorman Dunham for the building on the draft made by G. W. Eastman for the sum of one thousand nine hundred and ten dollars. The minutes were signed by C. Frisbie, president of the board of trustees.About a month later at the house of Ira Bronson it was voted to change the contract with Dunham and accept his proposals to build the body of the house of the same dimensions as the former one, completed all above the underpinning, for $1600. It was voted to accept the proposals of J. D. Humphrey for doing the underpinning, and building platform and drain for $202.50. Another change of site was ordered March 29, 1849, to one near H. Z. Frisbie’s, where the old stone house stood, at that time. This was the final selection, according to William K. Frisbie. The Meeting House was “enclosed” by July 31 and it was ordered to pay Dunham eight hundred dollars. On October 15 the contract was completed, the trustees accepted the building, and ordered Dunham paid the balance of $800 due him. Two trustees, J. Cowles, and A. G. Matthews protested against the erection of this new church building, according to a minute of October 27th. But the majority trustees four in number, inscribed their actions had been by unanimous agreement.
67
68
Subscriptions for the New Church on Orwell Hill
J. D. Humphrey$350Brought forward$1640
Ira Bronson350A.
G. Frisbie10.
Theoph. Humphrey100R.
B. Eastabrooks5
S. N. Bronson50Hampton
Champlin15
E. M. Farrar25Horace
W. Barnes5
Thomas Matteson20C. M.
Bull25
E. J. Eastabrooks20Morris
Woodruff10
Chauncey Frisbie300Elijah
Alger20
Zebulon Frisbie50Hiram
Knapp10
Wm. Cowles50Major B.
Darling10
Miner Taylor50Lyman M.
Darling10
J. D. Newell75Theron
Darling5
George Avery25William
McCabe5
C. B. Chaffee50James
Chubbuck10
J. W. Payson20Francis
Woodruff5
A. Woodford10Jacob
Chubbuck10
S. Lyon15Jarvis
S. Chafee5
Benj. Lyon20Roswell
Russell 2nd15
Jabez Champlin10Erastus
Lovet5
James O. Frost25C. J.
Spencer5
F. M. Jones10Addison
W. Alger5
W. P. Payson15Cullen
R. Darling10
Burton Russell5
$1640$1880
Subscription for Purchase of Stoves costing $31.34.
J. D. Humphrey5.00
C. Frisbie5.00
Ira Bronson5.00
C. B. Chaffee2.50
Nathan Payson2.00
Zebulon Frisbie2.00
Levi Frisbie1.00
Minor Taylor2.00
T. Humphrey1.00
E. H. Browning4.00
29.50
The old meeting
house on the Ridge-road was sold at public auction Friday night, February 1,
1850 to Ira Bronson for $45.00. The stove was sold to E. H. Browning for $4, the
table to A. G. Matthews for $1.60, the chair, candle sticks and small trunk to
“sundry individuals” for $1.40
List of Subscribers for Furnishing new Meeting House with
Carpeting, door mats, Scrapers, Bible for desk, etc.
Eliza Frisbie$4.00Cynthia A. Humphrey2.00
Loisa Avery.50Maria
Matteson1.00
Laura Bronson2.00Emily
A. Farrar1.00
Laura B. Humphrey2.00E.
Haley Knapp.50
Total$19.75
The Orwell
Presbyterian Church was divided over the issue of erecting a new church building
in Orwell village. Mr. W. K. Frisbie stated that he had been led to believe that
the church on the ridge was moved from its first site to one near the store in
the village. It was moved after it had been sold at auction by the trustees to
Ira Bronson for $45. Mr. Frisbie remembered his father telling of the “bee” they
had and of the number of oxen it took to move it. W. K. Frisbie said that his
grandfather, Squire Chauncey Frisbie, furnished two yokes. The building was
reconditioned after moving, and became a dwelling, used by Orrin Hunt, a cooper
who made tubs and firkins. It was moved again from its place below the present
gymnasium to one north of the store and became known as the Eastman house which
burned in the 1930’s.
The new church
edifice was dedicated January 15, 1850, according to the private journal of S.
N. Bronson:
“1850, Jan. 15th.New
Church at Orwell Hill dedicated today. Chapter read by Rev. Mr. Snowden; Prayer
by Rev. Edwin Bronson from Rome; Sermon by Rev. S. G. Colt from Wyalusing,
Benediction by Rev. T. Thomas. Singing was good, led by Orrin D. Davis of
Greene, N. Y., probably as good as ever had in this town. Text -- Hebrews 13-10,
We have an Altar. He was quite original in his remarks. There was probably 450
to 500 persons present, house much crowded, gallery full, seven ministers
present.
Jan. 20thThe
first Sabbath we have spent in the new church, a full congregation, good
singing. Rev. T. Thomas first Sabbath with us. Text, A. M., Isaiah 53-5; at
P.M., Job: 13-23. Prayer meeting in the evening. He thinks prayer the nursery to
piety.”
Miss Polly Ranny was
accepted as a member March 22nd. (Polly Ursala Ranny, child of George and Polly
Ranny was baptized January 26, 1816.) On April 1, 1848, Emily Phebe, child of Z
. (sic) Frisbie was baptized.
William Sexton and
his wife were granted a letter to the church at Rome, Pa. Isaiah Potter and his
wife Fanny were received as members June 25, 1848 from the Congregational Church
at Cincinnatis, N. Y. Elissa Izilla, child of Joseph Seeley, was baptized July
2, 1848. Holman, child of Thomas Blanding, was baptized September 30, 1848. Rev.
Huntting baptized all the children from October 6, 1844 to September 30, 1848.
Lyman N. Brownson
was dismissed to the Presbyterian Church in Herrick, January 7, 1849. The local
church was enjoined by Presbytery and General Assembly to assist widows and
orphans of deceased ministers, and infirm and disabled ministers by paying
annually five cents per member in December.
70
The Rev. Thomas
Thomas, grandfather of Mr. Norman Thomas, Socialist Party candidate for
president of United States, served as minister from 1850 to 1852. He baptized
April 6, 1850 Mary Ellen, child of Zebulon Frisbie; Welling Eugene, child of
Theo. Humphrey; Clarissa Louisa, child of Zebulon and Polly Frisbie; Perinthia
Elizabeth, child of J. W. and Elizabeth Payson, were baptized.
On July 6, 1852, the
sesson (sic) met at the close of the Preparatory Lecture with elders present, J.
D. Humphrey, Nathan Payson, and Levi Frisbie. The Rev. Mr. Thomas was moderator
and opened the meeting with prayer. A letter was presented by Aaron Frost and
Polly his wife from the church at Rome, Pa., commending them to the church of
Orwell, and they were received as members.
Cases of discipline
occupied the attention of the session in the fall of 1850. One man was suspended
from church privileges for continued neglect of the church ordinances and
contumely. A woman was suspended from communion for six months and put on good
behavior when she confessed a sex offence and expressed a desire to make all
reparation in her power.
Asa F. Eastman
presented a letter from the Presbyterian Church of Wysox March 20, 1851 and was
received a member.
The members living
at Potterville, not wishing to go so far from home to attend church, took steps
to have an edifice at Potterville, and in 1849 a building was erected at the
cost of $500, the land being given by Jason Potter. This is now used as the
Potterville Community Hall having been remodeled and added to within the memory
of many present members.
The session was
given a paper on March 20, 1851 of which the following is a copy:
“To the First
Presbyterian Church and session of Orwell. We the undersigned being members of
the First Presyterian Church of Orwell are of the opinion that we by being too
hasty and irregular in our previous steps with a view to a separate
organization; Therefore we now resolve to retrase (sic) our steps and drop all
that has been done and hereby do petition the above church to dismiss us for the
purpose of being regularly organized into a Congregational Church of Orwell
located at Potterville. Orwell, Mar. 17, 1851.
Signed:Uri CookLucy
A. RobertsOlive P. Blanding
A. G. MatthewsE.
C. PotterLaura M. Cook
Major B. DarlingJason
PotterFanny M. Potter
Zeri CookBenjamin
LyonMary Cook
Joel CookPolly
CookLaura Darling
Czar RobertsE.
C. BlackBetsy B. Lyon
Isaiah PotterClarissa
PotterPanthy Warner
Sally MatthewsJane
Darling”
On motion it was
resolved that the fore-going twenty-three persons have a letter of dismission.
Huldah Johnson and Ruby Darling were also dismissed for the same purpose three
months later. Hulda was a sister of Uri and Joel Cook.
Two reasons for the
separation of the people in the Potterville area from the Orwell Church and
their organization into another church are held:first, some resentment may have grown over the
failure of Rev. Mr. Bogardus to stop in the Wells home when asked on the day of
a funeral to do so, as the following excerpts of a letter from Joel Cook to his
daughter Mary indicate. “Mr. Bogardus was sent for to preach the sermon with a
request that he would come to the house at ten as they wished to converse with
him -- make him acquainted with the situation of the family and have a Prayer
before the corpse was removed. Mr. Bogardus came along in time and seemed to be
going by. George Wells went out and invited him in. He said he had business with
Esq. Frisbie, and that he would be at the meeting house at the time appointed,
and went along. This fell heavily upon the mourners. Theron who never shed a
tear when his Mother died, now wept like a child.”
Another reason is
said to be the fact that the majority voted to build a church ar (sic) Orwell
village rather than repair the old one. This left a much further distance for
the people in or near Potterville to go to church.
As a minority they
decided to build a church for themselves nearer their home.
On January 24, 1851
the trustees met and elected Levi Frisbie president and J. D. Humphrey secretary
for the ensuing year. It was voted that on application of the share holders in
the old meeting house to the secretary “he shall draw orders on the Treasurer at
the rate of thirty-four cents per share.”
A deed for the new
church lot on Orwell Hill was given January 5, 1857 by J. D. Humphrey and his
wife, Laura B. Humphrey of North Towanda, Pa., to trustees Hampton Champlin, J.
J. Newell, J. W. Payson, E. C. Bull,
72
S. N. Bronson, and George Avery for the First
Presbyterian Society of Orwell in consideration of the sum of One Dollar.
The deed was sworn
before Justice of the Peace N. N. Betts, and attested by E. C. Bull, secretary
of the Board of Trustees. Witnesses were:T. Humphrey and Laura Bronson. (Page 70,
Trustee Minute Book). An order for $1.43 for the expense of recording the deed
was paid April 25, 1858.
On October 4, 1851,
Mrs. Elizabeth Frisbie, wife of H. Z. Frisbie, and Mrs. Hannah (Blandon) Lyon,
wife of Samuel Lyon, were admitted on examination to membership in the church.
Elizabeth Frisbie was baptized October 5th.
Mr. Johnson Cowles
was visited by representatives of the session in regard to his neglect of the
ordinances of the church for the space of more than a year, and assigned no
valid reason for such neglect. He said that he desired to be stricken from the
roll of the church as he did not wish to be a member of any church. Report of
this was made November 10, 1851.
Another member,
being charged with assault and battery and of conducting himself in a disorderly
and unchristian manner, denied the right and jurisdiction of the session to try
him on the first charge before he was found guilty by a civil court. He left the
meeting but the session heard witnesses and considered the charges sustained. He
was suspended from communion until he should give satisfactory evidence of
repentence.
Mr. Stewart Line and
Lucy Wilson were examined for church membership December 22, 1851 and their
examination was sustained. Stewart Line married Catherine (daughter of Levi)
Frisbie.
Soon afterward it
was resolved by the church that the covenant and articles of the “Luzerne
Association” be rescinded and that the church adopt instead those adopted by the
Presbytery of Long Island and recommended to the churches under their care.
On April 3, 1852 the
session convened at the close of Preparatory Exercises for the examination of
Hampton Champlin and Louisa Champlin for church membership. Present were Rev. T.
Thomas, Moderator; Elders (sic) Levi Frisbie, and J. D. Humphrey, clerk. They
were voted into the church, and publicly received the next day, Sunday, at
Communion service. On May 9, 1852 Sister Docia Chaffee, who had applied for
dismission to the Congregational Church in Potterville was voted dismissal by
the session.
Mrs. Polly Alger and
Mrs. Fanny (Beardsley) Payson (wife of Asa B.) were admitted members October 17,
1852, the first by examination and the second by letter from the church of Pike.
Rev. Charles Huntington was moderator and pastor at this time. He was the
teacher of a parochial school 1857 to 1859, according to F. I. Champlin. He
lived at Wysox some years. He baptized January 1, 1853 Clara Bell, child of
Emaline (Potter) Eastabrooks.
“First,A Roll of Church Members commencing with Page 1.
Second,A
record of Adult Baptisms.....................to page 10
Third,A
record of Infant Baptisms.....................to page 12
Fourth,Minutes
of Session and Special Religious
Meetings......................................page 20
Fifth,A
Table of amounts of collections for
Pious and benevolent
purposes
from and by the
Congregation.......page 136
Sixth,Remarkable Providences noticed; and
Historical
incidents......................page 138
Page
16.................Marriages
Page
18.................Deaths.”
There were 45 names
on the roll when the new record book was started. They were as follows:
NameHow receivedWhen
receivedDismissed orWhen
____________________________________________Died___________
Betsy PaysonBy
letterOct.6, 1816DiedMay 9,
1873
Peggy GrantExaminationOct.6,
1816DiedJuly7, 1859
Susanne MattesonExaminationMar. 28, 1819DiedMar.1864
Nathan PaysonExaminationJuly 10, 1821DiedJuly 22, 1868
Sally DarlingExaminationJuly 10, 1821DismissedSept. 27, 1857
Eliza HumphreyExaminationJuly 10, 1821DiedSept. 9, 1865
Chauncey FrisbieExaminationJuly 10, 1821DiedMay4, 1864
Martha AlgerBy
LetterJan. 29, 1823DiedJan. 11, 1865
Levi Frisbie, Jr.ExaminationMay2, 1830DiedNov.
23, 1889
Chloe FrisbieExaminationMay2, 1830DiedAug.
20, 1869
Zebulon FrisbieExaminationMay2, 1830DiedAug.
29, 1881
Polly FrisbieExaminationMay2, 1830DiedApr.
17, 1887
74
NameHow receivedWhen
receivedDismissed orWhen
____________________________________________Died___________
Hampton ChamplinExaminationJuly4,
1830DismissedMar. 23, 1862
DiedFeb.
29, 1880
Lucretia ChamplinExaminationJuly4,
1830DismissedMar. 23, 1862
DiedMar.
16, 1891
Lucy Ann RobertsExaminationAug.5,
1832DiedMar.
30, 1878
Polly Ann DarlingExaminationAug.5,
1832DismissedSept. 27, 1857
Jas. D. NewellExaminationAug.5,
1832DiedJan.
10, 1892
Miner TaylorExaminationAug.5,
1832DismissedAug.3,
1857
Ellen TaylorExaminationAug.5,
1832DismissedMar. 23, 1862
Elizabeth AlgerExaminationNov. 10, 1834DiedNov.2,
1895
Lucetta PaysonExaminationMay3, 1835DismissedOct.1,
1859
Samuel LyonExaminationApr. 30, 1839DismissedMar. 23, 1862
Laura BronsonBy
LetterJuly 10, 1841DismissedJuly 25, 1858
Alonzo PotterBy Exam.Feb.
26, 1842DismissedNov.4,
1860
Theophilus HumphreyBy Exam.Feb.
26, 1842
Polly W. CowlesBy Exam.Feb.
26, 1842DiedFeb.
14, 1870
Cynthia Ann BronsonBy Exam.Feb.
26, 1842DiedJuly
26, 1880
Samuel N. BronsonBy Exam.Mar.2, 1844Died
Lucy D. AlgerBy Exam.Oct.6, 1844DiedApr.
12, 1863
Marie MattesonBy Exam.Mar.
19, 1845DiedNov.
15, 1865
Hanson Z. FrisbieBy Exam.Mar.
19, 1845DismissedApr.3,
1859
Eliab M. FarrarBy LetterAug.
31, 1845DiedFeb.1, 1895
Emily A. FarrarBy LetterAug.
31, 1845DiedAug.
14, 1868
Ann E. PotterBy Exam.Mar.
18, 1847DismissedNov.4,
1860
Polly RanneyBy Exam.Mar.
22, 1848DiedJune
20, 1892
Elizabeth FrisbieBy Exam.Oct.4, 1857Died
Hannah LyonBy Exam.Oct.4, 1857DismissedMar. 23, 1862
Hampton Champlin, Jr.By Exam.Apr.3, 1852DiedNov.
14, 1914
Louisa ChamplinBy Exam.Apr.3, 1852DismissedMar. 23, 1862
Polly AgerBy Exam.Oct.
17, 1852DismissedNov. 27, 1859
Henry ChamplinBy Exam.Jan.1, 1853DiedJune
18, 1857
Edward C. BullBy Exam.Apr.2, 1853DismissedJan. 21, 1879
Mary A. T. BullBy LetterApr.2, 1853DismissedJan. 21, 1879
Adaline DoolittleBy Exam.Apr.2, 1853DismissedApr.8,
1865
Ann M. NewellBy Exam.Apr.1, 1854DismissedApr.7,
1866
Harriet K. ChamplinBy LetterApr.
13, 1856DiedSept.4, 1926
Susanna MattesonBy Exam.July
13, 1856DiedOct.
31, 1873
Margaret BronsonBy Letter1853DiedJan.3,
1861
The officers of the
Orwell Church from its beginning to 1856 are listed in the first minute book of
the church.
The
deacons
of the first Warren and Orwell Church, organized in 1815, as Congregational,
were Levi Frisbie, inducted into office July 18, 1818, who resigned April 13,
1824; Parley Coburn, inducted January 9, 1819 who was transferred to the Warren
Church April 1828; Dudley Humphrey, inducted April 15, 1824, died April 26,
1826; Uri Cook inducted January 2, 1828, ordained an elder April 15, 1824, who
resigned July 12, 1841; and James D. Humphrey, inducted December 23, 1843,
ordained an elder July 17, 1841, and was transferred as an elder to Towanda,
April 26, 1856.
The list of
elders ordained in the Orwell Presbyterian Church from
Chauncey Frisbie““““resignedJan.1848
Uri Cook“““““July 10, 1841
Parley Coburn““““transferred April1828
Amos Coburn“““““““
Nathan Young“““““““
Aaron Coburn“June 24,
1824“““
Jason Potter“Aug. 28,
1829resigned July 15, 1841
Theron Darling““““““““
Samuel Mathews“July 17,
1841died Oct.9, 1846
James D. Humphrey““““transferred Apr. 26, 1856
Levi Frisbie““““died Nov. 23, 1889
Nathan Payson“Mar. 26,
1848ceased actg Apr 26, 1856
James D. Newel““““““Jan.1852
Aaron G. Mathews““““““Mar 20,
1854
Zebulon Frisbie“July 12,
1856died Aug. 29, 1881
Edward C. Bull““““transferred Jan. 21, 1879
The
Ministers
serving the Orwell Church to 1856 were:
Rev. Salmon King, from organization till 1827
Rev. Christopher Corey, stated supply in connection with
the Pike Church from January 13, 1828 to
April 13, 1828
Rev. Amos Bingham, stated supply from July 5, 1829 to
February 1831.
Rev. Samuel Henderson, supplied from April 1832 to
September 20th, when he was installed as pastor,
serving until July 1836.
Rev. Isaac Todd, stated supply three-fourths of the time
from October 1836 to November 1838.
Rev. Charles C. Corss (sic), supplied every fourth
Sabbath from December 1839 to January 1841,
residing in Athens, Pa.
Rev. John Mole, stated supply half the time from May,
1841 to May, 1843.
Rev. Nanie Bogardus, stated supply in connection with
Pike, from July 1843 to July 1844.
Rev. William Huntting, stated supply from September 1,
1844 to 1848, and into 1849.
Rev. Thomas Thomas, from 1850 to 1852.
Rev. Charles Huntington, September 1, 1852 to March 1,
1855.
Rev. Augustine Root, Congregationalist licentiate, eleven
months from the fall of 1855 to the fall of 1856.
Rev. J. McWilliams served one or more Sunday (sic) in
1856.
The Orwell
Presbyterian Church at various times shared with the Rome and Wysox Churches the
services of certain ministers. Relatives of Rev. Charles Huntington in
Williamsport, Pa. relate the following story of coincidence, also remembered by
Mr. John Major Cowles. One day 2 men sat down in a car seat on a railroad train
near Williamsport, Pa. In the conversation that followed one of the men said he
was born in Wysox, Pa. “What year?” asked his fellow traveler. “1851” was the
reply. “Why,” said his companion, “that was the year I was born in Wysox. What
house was (sic) you born in?” The answer was, “The Presbyterian Manse.” That was
the limit, for his questioner then said, “That’s the house I was born in also,
76
in 1851!” Two men of different names and families born in
the same Presbyterian manse in the same year. Then they compared dates. The Rev.
Charles Huntington, father of one of the men, had left Wysox in 1851, but not
before a son had been born. The Rev. L. W. Chapman moved into the manse in
December, 1851, just in time for a son to be born the same year.
The Rev. Mr. Huntington had a son, J. F. Huntington, who followed dentistry as a life work, and located in Williamsport, where he edited on his own responsibility for many years a little prohibition paper, carried along as an extra, aside from his profession, according to Mr. Frank I. Champlin.
