PETER SHUMWAY, a native of Massachusetts, was one of the early settlers of Tioga county. He was a veteran of the Revolution, in which he served nearly seven years, and received a discharge signed by George Washington which is now in possession of his great-grandson, Peter E. Shumway, of Wellsboro. He located south of Mansfield about 1805, and a year later removed to Charleston township, settling on the place since known as the Shumway homestead, near the line of Delmar. Here Mr. Shumway and wife, Dolly (Nichols) Shumway, passed the remaining years of their lives. Both died in the early thirties. They reared a family of six children, named as follows: Lydia, who married Joseph Wilson; Clarissa, who married Samuel Palmer; Jerusha, who married William Palmer; Zilpha, who married Luther Johnson; Lucretia, who married Alden Thompson, and Sleeman, all of whom are dead.
SLEEMAN SHUMWAY, only son of Peter Shumway, was born in Massachusetts, April 10, 1797, and was eight years old when his parents came to Tioga county. His subsequent life was spent on the old homestead on Shumway Hill, in Charleston. He married Desdemona Whitmore, of that township, and reared the following children: Joseph, deceased; Peter, a resident of Wisconsin; Luther, of Charleston township; William P., also a resident of Charleston, and Hiram, who lives in Wisconsin. Mr. Shumway died on his farm May 3, 1864, and his wife, April 11, 1882, aged eighty-eight years and five months.
WILLIAM P. SHUMWAY was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, April 9, 1823, a son of Sleeman and grandson of Peter Shumway. He received a common school education; was reared on the homestead farm, and has made agriculture his life vocation, being to-day one of the successful farmers of that township. On April 15, 1847, he married Mary Bacon, a daughter of Elmer and Mary Bacon, early settlers of Charleston. She was born November 3, 1828, and became the mother of seven children, viz: Ellen, wife of Elbert Johnson, of Corning; George, Arthur and Peter E., all residents of Wellsboro; Mary, who died April 23, 1877; Clarence and Clara, twins, the former a resident of Corning and the latter of Wellsboro. Mrs. Shumway died September 12, 1877. February 22, 1882, Mr. Shumway married Lucretia Austin, a daughter of Nelson and Lydia Austin, of Charleston. Politically, he is a Republican, and has served as treasurer and supervisor in his township.
JOSEPH THOMPSON was born in Stonington, Connecticut, January 5, 1757, and was the youngest son of a family of eighteen children, consisting of twelve sons and six daughters. He was reared to manhood in his native State and served in the Revolutionary War. He later moved to Otsego county, New York, where he married Catherine Coates, who bore him five children, viz: Joseph, Alanson, Lucretia, who married James Kimball, an early hotel-keeper of Wellsboro; Cynthia, Lorinda, who became the wife of Col. Hiram Freeborn, for many years a prominent business man of Knoxville, and Alden, who settled in Charleston township. Mr. Thompson came to Tioga county before 1820 and made his home with his children, some of whom had preceded him, settling on Shumway Hill, in Charleston township. He died November 23, 1842, aged eighty-five years, ten months and eighteen days, and was buried in the old cemetery at Wellsboro.
ALDEN THOMPSON, youngest son of Joseph Thompson, was born in Otsego county, new York, December 18, 1794. When about nineteen years of age he came to Tioga county, but did not locate permanently until after his majority, when he bought eighty-seven acres of land on Shumway Hill, in Charleston township, containing a small clearing. This tract he afterwards added to until he was the owner of 200 acres. He passed through the experiences of pioneer life, and by rigid industry became a prosperous farmer. Mr. Thompson was married about 1820, to Lucretia Shumway, a daughter of Peter Shumway, a Revolutionary soldier and the first settler on Shumway Hill. Two children were born to them, viz: Charles K., for many years a well-known physician of Wellsboro, and Darwin, now a resident of the same place. Mr. Thompson died March 7, 1872, and his wife May 5, 1872.
DARWIN THOMPSON, youngest son of Alden Thompson, and grandson of Joseph Thompson, was born on the old homestead in Charleston township, August 28, 1829. He was educated in the common schools and at Wellsboro Academy, and made farming his life vocation. He resided in Charleston township until 1888, when he removed to Michigan, remaining there one year. Returning to Tioga county, he located in Wellsboro, where he still resides, but continues to carry on his farm of 200 acres in Charleston. Mr. Thompson was married December 6, 1864, to Adeline Warner, a daughter of Bostwick and Priscilla Warner, of Chenango county, New York. She died April 6, 1865. On January 21, 1874, he married Mrs. Ellen Kriner, widow of Darius Kriner, of Delmar, who has borne him two children, viz: Lucretia E. and Viola F. In politics, Mr. Thompson is a Republican, has filled the office of school director, and was for eight years clerk of Charleston township.
JAMES GILLIS DARTT was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, June 6, 1822, a son of James and Mary (Gillis) Dartt, pioneers of that township. He was educated in the public schools, and has devoted his entire life to agricultural pursuits. On March 23, 1843, he married Emily Tipple, of Verona, Oneida county, New York, who became the mother of ten children, as follows: Ella, wife of David Dockstetter, of Charleston township; David, deceased; Clarinda, deceased wife of James K. Austin; Robert, a physician of Bellefonte, recently deceased; Orville, a farmer of Charleston; Alice, wife of Edwin Winters, of the same township; Fannie, wife of James K. Austin, Charleston; Emily, wife of Vine Losey, of Charleston; Effie, wife of Edward Fleitz, also of Charleston, and Sadie, who lives at home. Mrs. Dartt died August 25, 1893. In politics, Mr. Dartt is a Republican; has been a school director for several terms, and was appointed post-master at Charleston under President Lincoln’s administration, which office he filled continuously up to 1894, receiving in his final settlement with the United States government a check for two cents, being the amount due him to balance his account. This is said to have been one of the smallest checks ever drawn in the United States.
CALEB AUSTIN, a native of New England, was one of the early settlers of Charleston township, Tioga county, locating on the land now occupied by the poor farm, about the beginning of the present century. He married Clarissa Peterson, who bore him nine children, named as follows: Caroline, deceased wife of James Kimball, of Wellsboro; Adeline, deceased wife of Rudolph Christenot; Emily, who married Luman Fenton, of Cherry Flats; Charles, a farmer in Charleston township; Nelson, deceased; Angeline, deceased wife of Col. Alanson E. Niles; Nathan, deceased; Ruth, wife of John Doumaux, and Benjamin, deceased. Mr. Austin and wife spent their declining years in Charleston township, and died upon the old homestead.
CHARLES AUSTIN was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, August 15, 1815, a son of Caleb Austin. He attended the subscription schools of pioneer days, and worked on the homestead farm for his parents until he reached the age of twenty-eight years. He then bought a farm in Charleston township, on a part of which he now resides, and has devoted his entire attention to agriculture. He married Sarah Losinger, of Wellsboro, who bore him seven children, viz: Dwight, deceased; Hiram J., S. C. and C. N., all of whom are farmers in Charleston township; Clarissa, wife of Joshua Atherton; Mary Josephine, wife of George Wilkinson, and Sarah Angeline, deceased. Mrs. Austin died upon the homestead farm, where her husband now resides.
C. N. AUSTIN, youngest son of Charles Austin, and grandson of Caleb Austin, was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, December 25, 1855. He attended the common schools of his native township, and assisted his parents on the farm until twenty-four years of age, when he began life for himself. In 1881 he bought his present place of seventy-five acres, where he has since continued in agricultural pursuits. November 21, 1879, Mr. Austin married Rosella Wilkinson, a daughter of William Wilkinson, of Charleston township, and has two children, Blaine Dwight and Mary A. In politics, a Republican, he has filled several local offices, and is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.
NORMAN ROCKWELL, a native of Vermont, was an early settler of Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He located at Cherry Flats, where he operated a general store, and was made postmaster at that point when the office was established, which position he filled for twenty-five years. He died at his home in 1883, leaving three children, viz: Levi E., a farmer of Sullivan township; Silas S., of Charleston, and Amy E., wife of Jerome B. Potter, of Washington, D. C.
SILAS S. ROCKWELL was born at Cherry Flats, Tioga county, and is a son of Norman Rockwell. He was reared on a farm, and obtained his education in the common schools. In early manhood he engaged in stock dealing for several years, was later deputy sheriff under Jerome B. Potter, and has since devoted his attention to farming in Charleston township. He married Alice Harkness, a native of New York state, to which union have been born the following children: May R., wife of F. A. Halstead, of Elizabeth, New Jersey; Frank H., a lawyer of Wellsboro; Rose S., wife of S. F. McInroy, of Middlebury, Tioga county, and Minnie A., who lives at home.
ALBERT F. PACKARD, merchant, Cherry Flats, was born July 31, 1839, in Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, a son of John and Rebecca (Rose) Packard, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Connecticut. He was educated in the common schools of Mainesburg, and at the age of eighteen commenced teaching. At the end of one year he went to Ohio, where he remained two years, then returned to Tioga county and engaged in farming near Mainesburg. On August 2, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Petersburg, Weldon Railroad, and several other minor engagements, and was honorably discharged from the service at Chambersburg Hospital, July 3, 1865. Returning to Tioga county, he engaged in various occupations up to 1892, when he opened a general store at Cherry Flats, in Charleston township, where he has since carried on a prosperous business. Mr. Packard was married April 15, 1861, to Miss Mary R. Hubbell, of Monroeville, Huron county, Ohio, to which union have been born six children, viz: Mattie, wife of George Hall, of Shippen township; Francis, of Delmar; Herbert A., of Elmira, New York; Cora, wife of John C. Secor, postmaster at Cherry Flats; Anna R., and Clara M. In politics, Mr. Packard is a Prohibitionist, and has filled the offices of township clerk and school director, also county auditor one term. He is a member of the G. A. R., the I. O. O. F., and the Patrons of Husbandry, in all of which he takes an active interest.
JAMES H. SMITH was born in Delaware county, New York, April 15, 1801, a son of Peter and Abigail (Cleveland) Smith. Peter Smith was born December 25, 1743, and died January 15, 1843. He was the father of seventeen children, several of whom were soldiers in the War of 1812. James H. was educated in the common schools of his native county, and learned the trade of a cloth dresser. In 1827 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and after a short stay on Pine creek, located in Charleston township, but followed his trade in Wellsboro and Mansfield for years. He married Sallie Button, a native of Otsego county, New York, who bore him five children, viz: James E., deceased; John E., and Jason E., both farmers of Charleston township; Jane E., deceased, and Nancy L. Mr. Smith died June 9, 1878, and his wife, January 31, 1877. They were members of the Free Will Baptist church, and in politics he was a Republican.
JASON E. SMITH was born in Mansfield, Tioga county, July 3, 1831, a son of James H. and Sallie Smith. He obtained a common school education, and has followed farming since early manhood, now residing on a farm of 225 acres in Charleston township, a part of which was purchased by his father. Mr. Smith was married October 18, 1858, to Mary A. Wilbur, a daughter of David and Anna (Havens) Wilbur, and a native of Hector township, Potter county, Pennsylvania. They have two children living, Jennie A., and George C., a farmer of Charleston. Their oldest child, Charles H., born November 29, 1859, died May 10, 1864. In politics, a Republican, Mr. Smith has filled the office of township treasurer two terms. He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and is one of the most substantial farmers in his section of the county.
ROBERT H. PRATT was born in Ninevah, Broome county, New York, September 14, 1791, and was there reared and educated. He came with his family to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in February, 1833, and located on Marsh creek, in Shippen township, removing three years later to the vicinity of Whitneyville, Charleston township. He made farming his principal occupation, but was also a pilot on the Susquehanna river. He married Elmina Stowell, born in Broome county, New York, March 10, 1802, to which union were born the following children: Riley R., a resident of Iowa; Edwin, of Mansfield; Luman, deceased; Lura, deceased wife of John Jennings; Mary Ann, deceased wife of George Parker; Jerusha, deceased wife of Mr. Abrams; Lewis, a resident of Binghamton, New York; Sallie, deceased wife of Edgar Grinnell; Sarah, deceased wife of Maxwell Conable; Jane, wife of Andrew J. Patchen, of Lawrence township; Emily, deceased wife of Albert Avery; Olive A., deceased wife of Albert Dartt, and Robert Vine, a resident of Jefferson county. After residing near Whitneyville five years, Mr. Pratt removed into Richmond township, where he and wife spent the remaining years of their lives. She died on February 12, 1860, and her husband, July 23, 1884, in his ninety-third year.
EDWIN PRATT, second son of Robert H. Pratt, was born in Ninevah, New York, August 13, 1829, and was four years old when his parents came to Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, and attended the common schools during his boyhood days. He was married November 20, 1851, to Martha Wilcox, a daughter of Joseph and Eunice (Douglass) Wilcox, of East Charleston, to which union have been born six children, viz: Carrie, widow of A. A. Perry; Emma A., wife of Otis Rice; Helen Maria, wife of Clark Kingsley; Arthur S., Fred H. and Frank L. Mr. Pratt followed farming in Charleston township until 1860, when he removed to Richmond township, where he has since resided. In politics, a stanch Republican, he voted for John C. Fremont in 1856, and has since given his support to every presidential candidate of his party.
ARTHUR S. PRATT, son of Edwin Pratt, and grandson of Robert H. Pratt, was born in Richmond township, Tioga county, May 23, 1860. He was reared upon the homestead and obtained his education in the common schools and at the State Normal, in Mansfield. He remained at home until his majority, and then went to Morris, where he was engaged in lumbering three years. Returning to Richmond, he worked on a farm for two years, and in 1885 purchased his present farm of eighty-six acres in Charleston township. Mr. Pratt was married May 19, 1886, to Miss Clara Nickson, of Charleston. He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and in politics, a Republican.
DENISON A. LOCKWOOD was born in Greenwich, Fairfield county, Connecticut, February 8, 1811, a son of Denison and Sally (King) Lockwood, the former a native of Connecticut, and the latter of Rhode Island. He was reared in his native town, and at the age of seventeen went to New York City, where he clerked in a store one year. He then entered the employ of the North River Steamboat Company, as engineer on the steamers Constitution, Ohio and Swallow, plying the Hudson river, which business he followed nine years. At the end of this period he went to Buffalo and put in the propelling machinery for the Wisconsin, a lake boat, and continued on her as engineer from 1838 to 1842, when he returned to New York and entered the employ of the West Point Foundry Company as mechanical engineer. He filled this position five years, going to Detroit in 1847 with the Fashion engine from New York to superintend the construction of the machinery for the Fashion, then being built at Detroit. He next became engineer of the Sultana, plying between Buffalo and Chicago. In 1849 he went to California, via Cape Horn, where he was engaged in mining and in constructing mining machinery and putting up quicksilver machines for two years. He later accepted a position as engineer on the Panama, but when he reached the Isthmus of Panama, he resigned, and crossed the Isthmus on a mule to the mouth of Chagres river, whence he proceeded to New York, as assistant engineer of the Georgia. He was subsequently engineer on the following boats, all plying between New York and South America: Northern Light, Star of the West, Eldorado, and Empire City, and also on the Oregon, a river boat. In December, 1861, he enlisted at the Kittery Navy Yard, Maine, in the United States navy, as first assistant engineer of the United States man-of-war, Sacramento, which proceeded to Wilmington, North Carolina, as a part of the blockade fleet. Later he was sent on board the ironclad Sagus, operating on the James river. Having received a serious injury, from which he has never fully recovered, he was found unfit for duty and sent to Portsmouth Hospital, which closed his career in the navy. In the meantime Mr. Lockwood had purchased a farm in Charleston township, Tioga county, embracing 100 acres, in 1837, and lived upon it when not engaged on duty. On October 20, 1837, he married Margaret Berard, of New York City, who became the mother of one daughter, Amelia Gertrude, widow of Darius W. Smith, of Charleston township. Mrs. Lockwood died March 20, 1885. In politics, Mr. Lockwood is a Republican.
DAN P. WEBSTER was born in Connecticut, September 12, 1812, and was there reared and educated. He learned the carpenter’s trade in his native State, and subsequently came to Tioga county and settled in Charleston township. He purchased one hundred acres of land and followed lumbering and farming in connection with his trade until a short time before his death. He married Lydia Ives, a daughter of Roswell Ives, of Middlebury township. Eleven children were the fruits of this union, viz: Lucy, deceased; Olive, wife of Thomas Lester, of Charleston; Frances, wife of J. B. Doane, of Cayuga county, New York; Harley B., who enlisted in Company K, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers and was killed near Richmond, Virginia, a few days before Lee’s surrender; Roswell I., who served in the same company, and now resides in Ward township; Janette, wife of Lewis Kohler, of Richmond township; Delphene, deceased wife of Henry Crittenden, of Richmond; Newell P., of Charleston; Dan F., of Middlebury; Gilbert G., of Richmond, and one that died in early youth. Mrs. Webster died in 1866, aged forty-nine years.
NEWELL P. WEBSTER, son of Dan P. and Lydia Webster, was born on his present homestead in Charleston township, Tioga county, February 2, 1851. He was reared on the farm, and attended the district schools in boyhood. He worked on the farm with his father until 1871, when the latter retired, and Newell P. bought the place. On April 25, 1871, he married Annie Neal, a daughter of Joseph Neal, of Charleston, and has two children, Stella and Gertrude. Mr. Webster is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the P. of H., and politically, an adherent of the Republican party.
JACOB INGERICK was born in New York City, September 28, 1804, a son of John and Harriet E. Ingerick. He obtained a meager education, and when fourteen years of age he went to Rockland, Sullivan county, New York, where he learned the carpenter’s trade. In 1830 he located in Rutland township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he worked at his trade ten years, and then removed to Charleston township. Here he spent the remaining years of his life, dying June 15, 1890, in the eighty-sixth year of his age. He married Hannah M. Howland, a native of Sullivan county, New York, who became the mother of four children, viz: Hanna, deceased; Elmer, deceased; John W., of Steuben county, New York, and George H., deceased. Mr. Ingerick was a local minister in the Free Will Baptist church, to which faith his wife also belonged. She died in 1876, aged seventy-two years.
ELMER INGERICK, eldest son of Jacob and Hannah M. Ingerick, was born in Rockland, Sullivan county, New York, January 3, 1829, and was about one year old when his parents came to Tioga county. He was reared in Rutland and Charleston townships, where he attended the common schools. On January 19, 1853, he married Ellen Benedict, a daughter of Marcus and Lucy (Jennings) Benedict, of Wells, New York. Eight children were born to this union, named as follows: Edgar A., of Wellsboro; George E., of Charleston township; Norman G., of Arnot; Lovella A., wife of Wesley G. Johnson, of Corning, New York; Orson, deceased; William L., of Charleston; Sadie I., wife of George Avery, and Olon L. Mr. Ingerick was a Republican, and served two terms as school director. He was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church for many years, and died in that faith March 13, 1897.
WILLIAM ADAMS, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, born in 1772, was reared in his native land, and in 1840 immigrated with his family to Pennsylvania, and settled in Charleston township, Tioga county, purchasing 100 acres of land, now a part of the Adams farm. To William and Nancy Adams were born six children, viz: Mary, Joseph, William, John, James and Robert, all of whom are dead. The parents spent their declining years in Charleston township, where Mr. Adams died March 7, 1861, aged eighty-nine years, and his wife, September 20, 1857, aged eighty-six.
ROBERT ADAMS, youngest child of William and Nancy Adams, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1820, and was twenty years old when the family settled in Charleston township. After his father’s death, Robert inherited the homestead, to which he subsequently added by purchase 400 acres. He was a successful and progressive farmer, and one of the prominent citizens of the township. He married Ann Jane Irwin, a native of Ireland, who bore him six children, viz: Robert W., deceased; Nancy, wife of William McEntee, of Fall Brook; Mary, wife of Edgar A. McEntee, of the same place; Eliza, Erwin J., and Lucinda, wife of Dr. A. W. Cummings, of Oswayo, Potter county. Mr. Adams died August 16, 1889, aged sixty-nine years. His widow resides with her son, Erwin J., on the old homestead.
ERWIN J. ADAMS, only living son of Robert Adams, was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, on his present farm, August 1, 1865, and obtained a common school education. At his father’s death he took charge of the homestead, which he has since managed successfully. Mr. Adams was married February 28, 1891, to Eliza Bennett, a daughter of Martin Bennett, of Charleston township, and has one son, Robert Erwin. He is a member of the K. of P., and in politics, a stanch Republican.
JOHN C. JENNINGS was born in Otsego county, New York, in 1811, a son of Joseph and Lucy (Corbin) Jennings. He was reared in his native State, whence he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased a farm in Charleston township, near the Richmond township line, where his son, Charles M., now resides. He was a sawyer by occupation, and worked at that business twelve years in Manchester. Mr. Jennings was twice married. His first wife, Lois Pratt, of Richmond township, died leaving two sons: Robert P., who died in Washington in 1863, and Joseph R., a Union soldier, who died in Andersonville prison in 1863 or 1864. Mr. Jennings subsequently married Sarah A. Sloat, of Charleston township, who became the mother of five children, two of whom grew to maturity, viz: Susie M., wife of Melville Greene, died in March 1889, and Charles M. Mr. Jennings died in 1882, his widow died April 11, 1895.
CHARLES M. JENNINGS, only son of John C. Jennings, was born on his present homestead, in Charleston township, Tioga county, May 9, 1859, and attended the common schools of his neighborhood in youth. He remained with his parents until the age of twenty-four years, when he went to Madison county, New York, where he learned the carpenter’s trade, at which he worked there five years. In 1888 he returned to Tioga county, and has since been engaged in farming and working at his trade. October 20, 1881, he married Emma McLean, a daughter of Alexander McLean, of Middlebury, and has two children, Robert and Ralph. Mrs. Jennings is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, he is a Republican, and is also connected with the I. O. O. F. and the K. O. T. M.
ELIJAH PEAKE, SR., was born in Schoharie county, New York, there grew to manhood and learned the blacksmith’s trade, and in 1841 came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased 100 acres of land in Charleston township. He settled upon it, and also followed his trade. He married Sally Willis, of Albany, New York, who bore him five children, viz: Hiel, a farmer of Charleston; Elijah, and Willis, both deceased; David, a farmer of Delmar, and Margaret, deceased. Mr. Peake and his wife passed the remainder of their lives in Charleston township.
ELIJAH PEAKE, second son of Elijah Peake, Sr., was born in Schoharie county, New York, May 23, 1818, and came to Tioga county with his brother Hiel one year before the other members of the family. They settled in Charleston township, in the locality where Hiel now resides, near Round Top postoffice. Here he followed farming until his death, May 16, 1885. Mr. Peake was married February 22, 1841, to Nancy Clark, a daughter of Seth Clark, of Vermont. Six children were born to this union, named as follows: George Clark and Dyer, both deceased; Electa, who married O. H. Brooks; Franklin C., of Charleston; Seth Elijah, of Round Top, and Elizabeth, deceased. Mrs. Peake is living in Charleston township.
FRANKLIN C. PEAKE was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, October 3, 1855, and is the eldest living son of Elijah Peake, Jr. He attended the common schools of Charleston, and on attaining his majority began farming and operating a threshing machine. On October 9, 1878, he married Ella M. Close, a daughter of Reuben and Harriet (Lockwood) Close, of Chatham township, and has two children, Erwin M. and Walter L. In 1891 Mr. Peake purchased his present farm of eighty acres, lying one mile east of Wellsboro, and has since devoted his attention to its cultivation. In politics, a Republican, he has served as school director one term, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F. and the Patrons of Husbandry.
SETH E. PEAKE, a son of Elijah Peake, Jr., was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, May 23, 1863, and there grew to manhood. He followed lumbering eight years, and in 1885 commenced blacksmithing at Summit, Duncan township, which business he followed there for six years. In 1891 he came to Round Top, where he has since carried on blacksmithing, and also operates a steam thresher during the autumn season, as well as a cider mill. Mr. Peake was married June 24, 1885, to Anna M. Skelton, a daughter of John Skelton, of Charleston township, and has one son, Fred. In politics, Mr. Peake is a Republican, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F.
DANIEL MILLS was born near Owego, Tioga county, New York, September 28, 1788, and is believed to have been the first white child born in that county. His father, Stephen Mills, was a soldier in the Revolution, and lived to the remarkable age of 104 years. Daniel followed farming in Tioga county, New York, the greater portion of his life, and finally came to Charleston township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he died, March 3, 1871. His wife, Patience Trapp, of Orange county, New York, died in Charleston, February 24, 1871, a week before her husband. They were the parents of seven children, viz: Jane F. and Rachel F., both deceased; Martha B., Samuel, James F., deceased; Amos O. and Robert I.
SAMUEL MILLS, oldest son of Daniel and Patience Mills, was born in Tioga county, New York, November 28, 1821, and grew to manhood in that county. At the age of eighteen he began an apprenticeship to the carpenter’s trade, which business he followed in that county up to 1844. He then came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased his present farm of 113 acres in Charleston township, and has since devoted his attention to farming in connection with his trade. On March 9, 1844, Mr. Mills married Marcy A. Chapman, of Friendsville, Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, who bore him three children, viz: Eliza, deceased wife of J. E. Catlin; Martha L., and Amos D., deceased. Mrs. Mills died August 21, 1850. He was again married January 1, 1851, to Mary Tucker, a daughter of Benjamin and Nancy (Brundage) Tucker, of Otsego county, New York, who is the mother of eight children, viz: Cicero E., of Crawford, Nebraska; Marcy A., wife of C. A. Stewart, of Delmar township; Abram L., deceased; Mary L., wife of Ferdinand R. Field, of Wellsboro; Ellen A., wife of Samuel Coolidge, of Colorado; Rachel A., a graduate of the State Normal School, Mansfield, in the class of 1894; Benjamin J., and Louis, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Mills are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and charter members of the local Grange. In politics, he is a Republican, and has filled the office of township supervisor.
MARTIN CLEMENS was born in Germany, in 1804, was educated in his native land, and there served an apprenticeship to the weaver’s trade. He immigrated to the United States in 1831, and settled at Trenton, New Jersey, where he learned the shoemaker’s trade, at which he worked in that city up to 1845, when he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He purchased 100 acres of land in Charleston township, and devoted his attention to its cultivation during the remaining years of his life. He died in 1852. Mr. Clemens was married in Germany to Barbara Siple, to whom were born eight children, viz: Frank, of Charleston township; William, a farmer in Covington; Charles, deceased; Martin V., Louisa, deceased wife of William Houck; Nichols, of Elmira; George, of Charleston township, and Peter, deceased.
FRANK CLEMENS was born in Trenton, New Jersey, July 20, 1863, and was twelve years old when his parents came to Tioga county. He assisted them on the homestead in Charleston township until 1850, when he engaged in lumbering on Pine creek, which business he followed seven years, operating several saw mills in that locality. Returning to Charleston township, he engaged in farming, which he has since continued in connection with the lumber business. Mr. Clemens was married January 6, 1856, to Mary Ann Churchill, a daughter of Asa Churchill, a well-known local writer of Charleston township. To this union have been born five children, viz: Francis Ira, of Charleston township; Martha, wife of Alonzo Waters, of Lamb’s Creek; Charles W., deceased; Mary Eva, and Samuel A. Mr. Clemens enlisted in December, 1862, and served in the Binghamton Construction Corps, in the Army of the Potomac, until the close of the war. Politically, he is a stanch Democrat.
MARTIN V. CLEMENS was born in Trenton, New Jersey, December 8, 1840, and was about four years old when his parents settled in Charleston township, Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, working on the farm and in the lumber woods with his father until 1863, when he enlisted in Company A, Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He served with the Army of the Potomac, and passed through unharmed. He was honorably discharged at Washington, D. C., in July, 1865, and returned to his home in Tioga county, where he purchased his present farm the following year. Mr. Clemens was married December 31, 1863, to Mary Ann Ely, a daughter of Seldin Ely, of Charleston township. Nine children are the fruits of this union, viz: Frederick J., of Charleston; Morton S., deceased; Minnie M., wife of Adelbert Kittell, of Delmar; John B. and Herbert, deceased; Lewis Edgar, Bertie, Decatur Martin and Mamie Bell. In politics, Mr. Clemens is a Democrat, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F.
ALONZO WHITNEY was born at Nine Partners, New York, in 1801, a son of Abram J. and Philena (Adams) Whitney, both natives of Connecticut. He obtained a common school education, and soon after attaining his majority settled in Danby, Tompkins county, New York, when he removed to Caroline, New York, where he had a contract for furnishing lumber to be used in the construction of the Ithaca and Owego railroad, now the Ithaca division of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western. He subsequently removed to Gibson, now Corning, New York, where he kept a hotel for twenty-five years, and was also a foreman in the construction of the Chemung canal. In 1848 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased 300 acres of land in Charleston township, at what is now known as Whitneyville, where he followed farming the remainder of his life. His wife, Fannie, was a daughter of Lewis Pitts, of Danby, New York, and had one son, Nelson. Mr. Whitney held nearly all of the township offices at different periods, and was postmaster at Whitneyville several years. He was a Democrat up to the nomination of Lincoln, when he cast his vote for the Republican candidates. Mr. Whitney died on his farm in Charleston, May 1, 1881, aged seventy-nine years. His wife survived him more than six years, dying August 3, 1887, aged eighty-five.
CAPT. NELSON WHITNEY, only child of Alonzo and Fannie Whitney, was born in Danby, Tompkins county, New York, January 5, 1823. When he was seven years old his parents moved to Caroline, and two years later to Corning, New York, where he grew to manhood. In 1848 he came with the family to Tioga county and settled in Charleston township, where he devoted his attention to farming until 1858, when he also embarked in merchandising at Whitneyville, and did a business of about $20,000 per annum. When Sumter was fired on, he at once tendered his services to the government, and when President Lincoln made his first call for volunteers, Mr. Whitney went out with the recruits from Bradford, Sullivan and Tioga counties, as quartermaster, with the rank of major, in the Thirteenth Division, and rendezvoused at Troy, Bradford county. After remaining there ten days, they proceeded to Camp Curtin, near Harrisburg, where Major Whitney acted as quartermaster of the old Bucktail regiment until the expiration of his term, when he returned home. On August 6, 1861, he received orders from the adjutant general of Pennsylvania to raise a company, which he accomplished, recruiting his command in Charleston township. It was mustered into the service as Company G, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, with Mr. Whitney as captain. He reported at Camp Curtin, where his company was mustered in, October 14, 1861, and thence proceeded to Washington, D. C., and from there to Fortress Monroe. On December 6, 1861, they were sent to South Carolina, to join the army of the South, under Sherman and Hunter, and participated in the battle of James Island. Shortly after Captain Whitney received a sunstroke, at Hilton Head, South Carolina, from the effects of which he has never fully recovered. The company was then sent to Newport News, Virginia, where it became a part of the Ninth Army Corps, under General Burnside. Here Captain Whitney was compelled to resign, August 31, 1862, because of failing health. He returned to Charleston township, and about ten days later recruited another company, but did not again go into active service. At the close of the war he sold his mercantile business and engaged in farming and wool buying. Captain Whitney was married January 1, 1845, to Susan C. Parsell, a daughter of Samuel Parsell, of Corning, New York. Nine children blessed this union, viz: William E., deceased; Mary, wife of Abram Tipple, of Charleston; Frank, of Corning, New York; Fanny, wife of Otis L. Allen, of Kansas; Willis, a farmer of Middlebury; Seymour, of Charleston; Nellie, wife of H. N. Neal, a resident of the same township; Jessie, at home, and Jane, wife of Charles Symonds, of Bath. Captain Whitney has always taken an active interest in public affairs, and though a Republican, was a candidate for sheriff on the Greenback ticket, and for associate judge on both the Democratic and Greenback tickets, but the county was so strongly Republican that he was defeated. He is a member of the Masonic order, and one of the well-known citizens of Tioga county.
THOMAS D. DAVIES, a native of Carmarthenshire, Wales, grew to manhood in his native land, and there married Elizabeth Jones. In 1841 they immigrated to the United States, and located in Blossburg, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where Mr. Davies operated the incline plane for eighteen years. In 1868 he removed to Charleston township, where his wife died in 1879, and himself in 1891. They were the parents of six children, five of whom were born in Tioga county. The oldest, John, was born in Wales; came to Blossburg with his parents, and enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was killed at the battle of Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, when 336 were killed or captured out of a regimental roster of 450 men.
THOMAS J. DAVIES was born in Blossburg, Tioga county, April 15, 1843, a son of Thomas D. Davies. He attended the common schools and Blossburg Academy in boyhood, and has made farming his vocation. On September 18, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served throughout the war, being promoted to second lieutenant on January 24, 1865. At the battle of South Mountain he was struck by a piece of shell, which fractured his skull, and he was taken to Patterson Park Hospital, Maryland. He rejoined his regiment in time to take part in the battle of Fredericksburg, and was afterwards transferred to the Army of the South, in Kentucky, which re-enforced Grant at Vicksburg. His regiment next served in the engagements of Blue Springs, Campbell Station and the Siege of Knoxville. Here he was discharged, December 31, 1862, in order to re-enlist as a veteran, at Blain’s Cross Roads, Tennessee. His command was then transferred to the Army of the Potomac, and he served in the following battles: Wilderness, Spottsylvania, North Anna River, Cold Harbor, and the assault on Petersburg. During the Siege of Petersburg his brigade held the salient line. He received a gunshot wound here, which grazed the right side of his skull, striking near the right eye. He was taken to Harwood Hospital, Washington, D. C., where he remained four months, and then rejoined his regiment in front of Petersburg, where he remained until the town was captured. While in command of Company D, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the capture of Fort Walker, he was again wounded by a musket ball in the right wrist, and was taken to City Point Hospital. In May, 1865, he rejoined his command at Alexandria, and served on the court martial board three weeks, as one of the junior officers. His command was mustered out of service July 17, 1865, by general order of the war department. Returning to his home in Tioga county, he resumed the peaceful pursuits of agriculture, which he has continued up to the present. He owns one of the finest farms in Charleston township, located in the Welsh settlement, about five miles from Wellsboro. Mr. Davies was married January 14, 1868, to Jane L. Davis, a daughter of David S. Davis, of Covington. Eight children have been born to this marriage, viz: Harriet E., Elizabeth J., wife of Charles Harkness; Edith May, John R., M. Gertrude, William L., A. Verne, and Benjamin, deceased. The family are members of the Congregational church. Mr. Davis is past lieutenant colonel and a member of the staff of the commanding general in the Union Veteran Legion. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F., the K. of H., and the G. A. R. In politics, a Republican, he has served two terms on the school board, and is one of the substantial and progressive citizens of his native county.
CHARLES CLOSE, son of Reuben Close, and grandson of Newbury Close, Sr., was born in Chatham township, February 3, 1826, and was reared to manhood in his native township, receiving his education in the common schools. About 1847 he removed to Westfield and engaged in mercantile business with his brother George. In 1852 he removed to Charleston township and settled at Round Top, where he established potash works, which he carried on until about 1870, when he purchased the Round Top Cheese Factory, which had been established in 1865 by a stock company. In 1872 he bought out the general store of Samuel Morgan. This and a small farm he carried on in connection with his cheese factory until his death, May 16, 1883. Mr. Close was married in 1847, to Jane Owlett, a daughter of Gilbert B. and Martha (Pope) Owlett, of Chatham township. To this union there were born seven children, viz: Martha E., widow of Benjamin F. Claus; Mary E. and Sybil A., deceased; Gilbert Burton, of Delmar; Reuben G., of Keeneyville; Edd G., of Round Top, and Arthur C., merchant and cheese manufacturer, Keeneyville. Mrs. Close makes her home with her children. Mr. Close was a Republican, in politics; was a justice of the peace in Charleston township from 1860 to 1870, and postmaster of Round Top for many years. He was a man of strict integrity, honorable in his dealings, and esteemed and respected by all who knew him.
E. G. CLOSE, merchant and cheese manufacturer, at Round Top, Charleston township, Tioga county, was born in that township, January 27, 1867, a son of Charles and Jane (Owlett) Close. He obtained his education in the public schools of his native township and at Westbrook’s Commercial College, Olean, New York. In February, 1888, he purchased the Round Top Cheese Factory from his father’s estate. This factory, which has a capacity of thirty tons per annum, he has since operated. In 1890 he opened a general store at Round Top, and has carried on merchandising in connection with the cheese industry. November 29, 1889, Mr. Close was appointed postmaster of Round Top, which office he has filled up to the present. He was married February 1, 1888, to Ella L. Marks, a daughter of Charles and Jane Marks, of Charleston township, and has three children, viz: Florence J., Max C. and Jay Marks. Mr. and Mrs. Close are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, he is an adherent of the Republican party, and also a member of Tyoga Lodge, No. 230, I. O. O. F., Wellsboro.
WALDO SPEAR, merchant and postmaster at East Charleston, was born in Springfield township, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, April 19, 1843, a son of Hiram and Lucy (Ripley) Spear. He was educated in the common schools and Mansfield Classical Seminary. On October 14, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in the following battles: Lebanon, Murfreesboro, McMinnville and Gallatin, where he was taken prisoner August 21, 1862. He was paroled because of injuries, and, when exchanged, was detailed as courier of the Second Cavalry Division, Army of the Cumberland, in which capacity he served until December 28, 1864, when he was honorably discharged. Returning to his home in Bradford county, he lived there until 1866, and then located at Mardin, Tioga county, where he was engaged in farming for seventeen years. In April, 1883, he purchased his present mercantile business at East Charleston, which he has since successfully conducted. He was appointed postmaster of that office in February, 1883, and has filled the position continuously up to the present. Mr. Spear was married January 27, 1880, to Eva C. Benedict, only child of J. C. and Mary M. Benedict, of Austinville, Bradford county. They are the parents of one son, Leland Ralph, born May 9, 1886. Politically, Mr. Spear is a Republican, and in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He is secretary, lecturer and overseer of Grange, No. 929, P. of H., and is commander of Tent, No. 203, K. O. T. M.
JOHN S. BLISS, a native of Massachusetts, born June 7, 1817, was a son of Stephen and Charlotte (Bailey) Bliss, natives of the same State. He came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, with his parents, and settled in Wellsboro, where he worked at cabinet making until 1852. In that year he purchased a farm in Charleston township, settled upon it and devoted his attention to farming during the balance of his life. He died on April 10, 1894. He married Nancy Van Horn, a daughter of William Van Horn, deceased of Williamsport, who became the mother of seven children, viz: Dwight and William, both farmers in Charleston; Mary, wife of Eugene Close, deceased; John J., George, Lloyd B., and Charles, all of whom are farmers in Charleston township. Mr. Bliss was a Republican in politics, and served as school director one term.
JOHN J. BLISS, a son of John S. and Nancy Bliss, was born in Charleston township, Tioga county, November 11, 1852, and grew to manhood on the homestead farm, attending the district school during his boyhood days. At the age of twenty-three he purchased his present farm, five miles south of Wellsboro, on which he has since resided. He married Miss Nettie Childs, of Nauvoo, Liberty township, Tioga county. Mr. Bliss is a member of the I. O. O. F., and the Patrons of Husbandry, and in politics, an adherent of the Republican party.
FERDINAND EMBERGER was born in Germany, in 1816, was educated in his native land, and at the age of forty came to the United States. he was a blacksmith, and worked at his trade in Iowa one year. He then went to Rochester, New York, where he continued blacksmithing until 1859, when he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled in Delmar township. He also worked at his trade in Middlebury township, and in Lycoming county. In 1874 he located in Charleston township, where he passed the remaining years of his life retired from active business, dying in 1882. He was married in Germany to Anna Mary Miller, to whom were born six children, viz: Catherine, deceased; Henry, who enlisted in Company L, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and was mortally wounded at Dallas, Georgia, May 27, 1864; Ignatius, deceased; Martin, of Cherry Flats; Joseph, of Charleston, and Anna, wife of William McCaslin. Mrs. Emberger died in 1861.
JOSEPH EMBERGER, youngest son of Ferdinand Emberger, was born in Rochester, New York, April 13, 1858, and removed with his parents to Tioga county when one year old. At the age of fifteen years he accompanied his father to Lycoming county, where he remained two years, going thence to Lodi, New York. In the autumn of 1880 he returned to Tioga county, where he has since resided. He obtained his education in the common schools, the Wellsboro High School, and the State Normal School, Mansfield, graduating from the last named in the class of 1885. He taught school in Tioga county six terms, being principal of the Arnot graded school one year. In 1887 he purchased a farm of eighty acres in Charleston township, on which he now lives. Mr. Emberger was married November 29, 1883, to Sarah McInroy, a daughter of Hugh McInroy, of Charleston. She died April 23, 1888, followed ten days later by the death of their only child, Hugh C., aged three years. In politics, Mr. Emberger is a Democrat, and has served as auditor of Charleston township three terms. In 1896 he was elected a member of the board of auditors of Tioga county.
DENTON GEROW was born in New York state, January 19, 1819, and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1866, settling in Charleston township. He was a blacksmith, and followed that occupation through life. He married Bersheba Gale, of Ulster county, New York, who bore him eleven children, viz: Green M., of Wellsboro; Bailey A., of Knoxville; James N., of Charleston township; Mary J., wife of Simeon Brown, of Watkins, New York; Dewitt C., of Charleston; Marcus L., and Phoebe, both deceased; Emma, wife of Dowling Ellenberger; Walter E., of Charleston; Libbie, deceased, and Anna, wife of A. Lincoln Eaton. Mrs. Gerow died on April 27, 1888, and her husband, February 16, 1892.
DEWITT C. GEROW, son of Denton Gerow, was born in Seneca county, New York, August 2, 1848, and attended the common schools of his native county in boyhood. Before attaining his majority he commenced working at blacksmithing with his father, continuing the same until August 31, 1864. On that date he enlisted in Company G, Fiftieth New York Engineers, and served in the army of the Potomac until June 13, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. Returning to his home in New York, he continued to work at his trade until the fall of 1866, when he came to Tioga county and located in Charleston township. He followed blacksmithing there two years, and then went to Lodi, New York, and engaged in farming. A year later he returned to Charleston township, where he has since devoted his attention to agriculture. Mr. Gerow was married January 1, 1870, to Laura E. West, a daughter of William and Caroline (Johnson) West, of Charleston township. They are the parents of ten children, viz: Winnie, wife of Otis Peake, deceased; Ethel, wife of Miner Hinkley; Leon, Ada, Carrie, Edna, deceased; Gale, Floyd, Miner and Irma. Politically, Mr. Gerow is an ardent Republican.
ISAAC R. BOWEN was born in his present homestead in Charleston township, Tioga county, October 30, 1869, a son of Joshua and Diana (Evans) Bowen, natives of Carmarthenshire, South Wales. He attended the district schools of his native township in boyhood, and also the State Normal School, at Mansfield, and then engaged in teaching, which vocation he followed four years. At the end of this period he went on the road as a traveling salesman for a short time, and later embarked in the tinning and plumbing business, which he followed until his father’s death. He then took charge of the homestead farm, and has since devoted his attention to agriculture. Mr. Bowen was married October 29, 1888, to Mattie E. Husted, a daughter of Ashley Husted, of Charleston township, and has three daughters: Maude, Beatrice and Neva. The family are connected with the Congregational church, and Mr. Bowen is a member of the I. O. O. F., and the K. O. T. M. In politics, he is a Republican, and is recognized as one of the enterprising young farmers of the township.
JAMES E. PETERS was born in Almond, Allegany county, New York, October
18, 1834, and was a son of Joseph and Eliza (Carey) Peters, natives of
England and Pennsylvania, respectively. His education was acquired in the
public schools and Union Academy. He early became a resident of Farmington
township, Tioga county, where he followed agriculture up to 1878. In that
year he was elected a county commissioner, and removed to Elkland. He was
re-elected in 1883 and filled the office six years. In 1884 he settled
in Deerfield township and engaged in merchandising at Academy Corners,
which he continued until 1891, when he was appointed superintendent of
the county poor house. This position he help up to his death, March 23,
1896. Mr. Peters was married September 3, 1851, to Priscilla Smith, a daughter
of Henry and Phoebe (Cook) Smith, of Nelson, Tioga county, to which union
have been born six children, viz: Sadie M., wife of Daniel E. Casbeer,
of Farmington; John W., Charles E., and Lena, all of whom are dead; Rena,
and J. Earl. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. Peters was actively identified with the Republican party from early
manhood. He was a member of the I. O. O. F., the K. of H., and the Patrons
of Husbandry, and was elected Grand Master of the last named order in 1888.