BRADFORD REPORTER - TOWANDA, PA, October 18, 1883
No Unauthorized Commercial Use May Be Made of This Material
Typed and submitted by Pat Raymond
Go To Page Two
Bradford Reporter Towanda, Pa., October 18, 1883
ULSTER TOWNSHIP Early History
Towanda, Pa., October 18, 1883
BRIEF SKETCH OF EARLY AND PRESENT HISTORY
(NOTE--On account of lack of space we have omitted much we intended to give.--Ed)
What is now Ulster township was originally a part of Sheshequin, but the latter town was soon of such importance that it was deemed best for Ulster to separate which it early did. It was settled about 1784, and among the settlers of early date may be mentioned Captain Benjamin Clark, Nathaniel Hovey, Adrial Simons, Solomon Tracy, Eli Holcomb, Isaac Cash, Abram Parmeter, Chester Bingham, Thomas Overton, Elijah Granger, Leonard Westbrook, and Joseph C. Powell. Nearly all of these men, if not all have descendants now living in Bradford County. Sometime about 1822 the Scotch emigration commenced, and the familiar names of Mather, Pollock and Dickson are associated with those of the older settlers of which is now prosperous Ulster.
Since this early settlement in the dangerous days immediately succeeding the Revolutionary war, Ulster has steadily grown and flouished. Since the first framed house was built in 1818 the inhabitants have seen residence after residence go up and first a canal and then a railroad and telegraph were built until the resources of the township have been almost fully developed. From the small beginnings made almost 100 years ago have come the fruitful present to which we briefly advert.
ULSTER OF TODAY.
Whatever Ulster may have been in the long ago it is a very rich township now, considering its size, one in which the pleasant farm houses and rich fields are plenty on every mile of the long road from Milan to the township line always excepting the narrows above and below Ulster village. Our time was so limited that we did not find out where all the good farmers lived nor where all the best cider was kept, neither did we discover all the peach trees and grape vines, but we found enough to test the quality of Ulster’s fruitfulness and the people’s generosity. First of the township officers.
Justices of the Peace, G. H. VanDyke Ulster, and J. D. Anthony, Milan; Supervisors, John Howie, and John Dickson, Ulster, and R. S. Edminston, Milan; Constable, Wm. VanDyke, Ulster; Deputy Constable, Burton Loomis, Milan; School Directors, H. Z. Shaw, Abram Minier, Milan, Jas. McCarty, Frank Brooks, Emmett Rockwell and James Barbour, Ulster.
The principal productions of the township are tobacco in the vicinity of Ulster, and oats, corn, wheat and similar crops near Milan. Something like 100 acres of tobacco were raised this year and the crop is generally very good and will bring a good price this year, 18 cents having already been offered.
The town is principally noted for farming but there are two small villages which we will notice briefly.
The village of Ulster is a pleasant little town of about 200 inhabitants and situated, as the landlady said, "Eight miles from anywhere" being that distance from the seaport towns of Athens and Towanda and inland Burlington. One would not mind its peculiar situation if the trains stopped there, but they do not. You can get there at seven o’clock in the morning and come away at nearly eleven, but if you miss the eleven you must remain until seven in the evening. The three o’clock going south and the five o’clock going north neither notice the town, a slight which arouses the virtuous indignation of the inhabitants who found the five o’clock especially pleasant. A gentleman said the fact that a person coming to Towanda could not get home on No 2, was a source of loss to Towanda merchants, a statement which seems very plausible.
Among the descendants of settlers of "ye olden time" are S. C. Hovey, a descendant of Benjamin Clarke, the third settler at Ulster, who came with General Sullivan in his famous march. James Thomas and William Mather, descendants of the original Mather, who came to Ulster among the early settlers, Uriah and Norman Shaw, Edmund Lockwood, a descendant of Cash, a numerous family of Holcombs, descendants of Truman Holcomb, Sr., who Mr. Hovey (from whom we got most of our information) said was the father of nineteen children. Other old settlers are G. H. VanDyke, the thrifty Justice of the Peace, and Dr. Edward Mills.
Among the old buildings now standing is the Holcomb house, built some sixty years ago by Eli Holcomb, a veracious man who claimed to have pulled a bear down a tree by the tail when the old farms of to-day were new. The Mather house where Thomas and William Mather live on the old homestead of three hundred acres, is an old one built over sixty years ago. Benjamin Ross owns a very old house which he rents.
The largest farm in Ulster village is that of the Mather estate, although there are many other large handsome farms, and many fine places in the village proper.
In the old well filled churchyard is buried many of the old pioneers who made the early history of this county rich with earnest deeds, and who left as well a legacy of honor as of large estates to descendants. On the old time-worn headstones, we saw the names of Thomas Overton, a grandfather of Col. Overton, of Towanda and one of the early inhabitants; James Mather, several members of the Simons family, besides others whose names we forget. On one stone was the following: "Here lies 2 Sons and daughters of Adrial and Sarah Simmons. Septer died Nov. 20, 1798, aet.15." The other three were given at dates running to 1803, one giving only initial letter P.
Going back from the cemetery, we passed up the pleasant street where Postmaster Mather’s cosy home is situated, those of the two physicians, the thrifty place of McKay, and the handsome grove. We notice too, the fine house of Jas. McCarty, that of G. H. VanDyke, and several above the hotel; also the fine mill of G. H. VanDyke.
This little village has about 100 inhabitants, and is very near those historic spots, Tioga Point and Queen Esther’s Flats, which lie on opposite sides of the river a short distance above the town line. The village has two stores, a hotel, church, school, mill and the usual facilities for modern comforts, except that you are subject to the same difficulties respecting coming and going by rail that annoy the people at Ulster.
From M. S. Warner, one of the staunch old farmers, who owns a farm of 260 acres, and churns by horse-power, we learned most of the above facts concerning Milan, besides many of Ulster.
One of the stores at Milan is kept by the postmaster, D. O. Dickerson, and his father, the other by Nelson Mosier. Daniel Brown has run the hotel he is now improving nearly nine years, and the mill is conducted by J. M. Loomis.
There is one church, M. E., but dedicated to the use of all Christian denominations, which is occupied by Presbyterian and M. E. Pastors. The Sunday school got up a quarrel and now there are two running in peace.
Among the residents living at Milan are H. Z. Shaw, station agent, R. S. Edmiston, the well known dealer in horses, who always has some good ones to sell, S. W. Watt, a Scotchman, recently from Caledonia, J. D. Anthony, the J. P., Reuben Doane, Joseph Dettra, Messrs. Loomis, Walker, Flood, Golding, Doty, Williams, Cole, Vincent, and others.
There are some eighteen nice farms on Laurel Hill.
S. C. Hovey and wife are four years past their golden wedding.
Mr. S. C. Hovey’s grandmother was one who escaped from the fort before the Wyoming massacre, going down the river after all were forbidden to leave the place.
J. C. Powell, grandfather of Joseph Powell, was buried in 1806 in the Milan cemetery, adjoining Mr. Warner’s farm.
Many years ago a woman named Shaw became possessed with the idea that she was married to the Susquehanna, and going to her husband she found such cold, damp comfort, that she was at once placed at rest in the Milan cemetery.
A. Westbrook, who once owned the last farm between Ulster and the Narrows had, in early times, a hand to hand fight with a bear. After a desperate struggle he killed the bear with a pine knot, though almost naked and badly torn by the bear’s claws.
Towanda, Pa., Oct. 9, 1884
Ulster on the whole, is a picturesque township, and presents a view most pleasing to the eye, whether from the hills or the plains below. Along the Susquehanna are the plains usually found by the river, broken by high land between Ulster and Milan, and terminated on the south by the Ulster Mountain. The land gradually rises toward the westward, and attains considerable altitude, Moore’s Hill being among the highest points of land in the county. The hills, though high, are not steep and are susceptible of cultivation to their very summits, and good crops are raised by the thrifty farmers, whose farms cover their rugged sides.
The township of Ulster comprises a strip of land about three miles wide by something over five long; the longer dimension being parallel with the river, and is bounded on the north by Athens, on the east by the Susquehanna, on the south by North Towanda, and on the west by Smithfield.
What is now known as Ulster was originally called Sheshequin. It was the site of an Indian town built after the Pontiac war, at which the Moravians established a mission on the solicitation of some of the native inhabitants, who had belonged to Brainerd’s congregation on the Delaware. The name Sheshequin, however, was not confined to the Indian town, but was applied to the whole district claimed by the inhabitants of the village which included the meadows on Queen Esther’s flats and on the east side of the river.
When General Spalding settled in what is now called Sheshequin, he gave that name to his settlement, and for many years, the two places were each called Sheshequin; and to distinguish one from the other, that on the west side of the river was called Old Sheshequin and that on the east side of the river New Sheshequin. The New Sheshequin, becoming much the more important place, at length threw off the qualifying term and became simply Sheshequin, while Old Sheshequin, after much discussion, and after several different names having been proposed, at length took the name of both the Connecticut and Pennsylvania township, and by the general acquiescence of the inhabitants, has retained the name which was assigned to it. It is only one of many examples of the strange way in which old names become transferred to new places, while the older place assumes some new name without historic significance or local value.
The present township known by this name is but a very small remnant of the one first organized as Ulster. The original township was about five miles from north to south, and about eighty from east to west.
of Ulster are enterprising, hospitable and of an excellent class. Most of the old landmarks are gone, and their descendants much scattered. Within half a century many thrifty Scotch families have settled in the township, and now form a large and very important part of the population. The diligent, honest hand of the Scotchman has made many beautiful and fruitful farms, and taught the lesson "that industry and self reliance are the surest guarantees to fortune." The people of Ulster have a commendable pride in their public schools, and support them together with their churches in a liberal manner. This is wisdom, as the public schools are the safe-guards upon which rests the permanency of the government of all civilized nations.
The population of the township by the last census was 1,166.
The soil of Ulster is generally very fruitful. On the hills, grain growing and dairying is the main business of the farmers. Along the river tobacco growing is the leading business.
The following list includes the officers of the township for the eventful Presidential year: Justices of the Peace, G. H. VanDyke, J. D. Anthony; Constable, W. H. VanDyke; Commissioners, H. Dixon, M. S. Warner, John Howie; Clerk, I. R. Schoonmaker; School Directors, James McCarty, E. Rockwell, H. Z. Shaw, A. D. Minier, J. D. Barboar, A. Pearsall; Treasurer, A. Olmsted; Judge of Election, John McQueen; Inspectors, F. R. West, J. G. Howie.
Ulster takes its name from the Susquehanna Company’s town of which it is a part. Ulster was originally granted by the committee of the Susquehanna Company to Ashel Buck and others, in 1775, but no survey or allotment being made it was superseded by another grant made September 12, 1785, which was itself superseded by a third grant dated July 23, 1786, and surveyed and allotted in the fall of the same year, and described as follows: Beginning on the west side of the Susquehanna river, opposite the head of an island, about three-fourths of a mile below the junction of the Tioga and Susquehanna; thence west two miles to a corner; thence south five miles; thence east five miles; thence west three miles to the place of beginning.
As Ulster was included in the purchase of 1784, we find no Pennsylvania surveys prior to that date. The title however, was vested in Charles Carroll and Pickering Hogdon and Company, whose agent, Thomas Overton, sold to the settlers after it was decided by the commissioners that Ulster could not be embraced in the conforming law. Old Ulster included a few of the settlers in the upper part of the township.
Towanda, Pa., Oct. 16, 1884
Ulster village is pleasantly situated on the Susquehanna, eight miles north of the county seat, on the line of the Pa. & N. Y. R. R., and comprises a population of about 500 persons. The village is the natural outlet for business from parts of Smithfield and Ulster. It has a church (Methodist,) a graded school, two hotels, five stores, a steam saw and grist mill, shingle mill, planing mill, wagon shop, shoe shop and two blacksmith shops. The village has also a railroad depot and a post office. The post office was established in 1821, with Sidney Bailey postmaster.
Ulster village occupies the site of the Indian town, before mentioned, and Cash’s Creek, which formerly bore the name of "Old Town Creek," which divided the heathen from the Christian portion of the Indian settlement, runs through the central part of the village.
Milan is also situated on the Susquehanna, on the line of the Pa. & N.Y.R.R., three miles north of Ulster village, at the upper border of the township, and has a population of about 200 persons. The place affords a church (Methodist,) a school, two stores, a hotel, a steam grist and saw mill, a wagon and blacksmith shop, a railroad depot and a post-office. The last named was established in 1835, as "Marshall’s Corners," in honor of Josiah B. Marshall, a prominent citizen who was made postmaster. In 1838 the name was changed to Milan, and John L. Webb was made postmaster. Milan has also been known as "Upper Ulster," and has the nick-name of "Mutton-Hook."
What is now known as Ulster, was called by the Indians, "Sheshequining," and was a place of great importance among them. It was earlier known and settled by them than the opposite side of the river now called Sheshequin. It was the termination of the great Sheshequin war path from the West Branch by Lycoming Creek, thence to Beaver Dam, thence down Sugar Creek to Sheshequin flats.
The Moravians state that the Chief, Ecbgobund, resided here. It was a Monsey town, inhabited by that ferocious tribe whose emblem was a wolf. Queen Esther’s village was composed of a part of this tribe, and partook of the same spirit.
After the Indians were driven off the early white settlers called it "Old Sheshequin," and those on the opposite side called their settlement "New Sheshequin." They were settled about the same time, principally by Wyoming people, whose sympathies were strong and lasting.
When the township was surveyed by the Susquehanna Company, they included the two settlements and called the township Ulster, which so remained for a number of years. In 1820 the township was divided, the west side being called Ulster, and the east side Sheshequin. So that on the west side of the river the original "Sheshequining" has altogether lost its Indian name.
About the same time (if not together, from Wyoming) that Colonel Spalding and others went to Sheshequin in 1783 and 1784, settlers came into Ulster. Of these may be mentioned as one of the pioneers, Captain Benjamin Clark, who was among the very first to build a house on the "town-plot," of Wilkes-Barre, having emigrated from Tolland County, Connecticut. He was a Corporal in the First Independent Company of Wyoming, under Captain Robert Darkee, and served seven years in the Revolutionary war. In the battle of Mud Fort, the man in front of him had his head shot off by a cannon ball. He was one of the detachment sent for the relief of the citizens of Wilkes-Barre, and was only a day too late--to save the inhabitants from the fate of the tomahawk, and the fiendish tortures of the red men. He was in the army of General Sullivan, which devastated the Indian country in 1779. In connection with General Sullivan’s expedition, Mr. Clark gave the following among his recollections: "At the battle of Newtown, (near where Elmira now is) after the engagement had actively opened, and the Indians were being hard pressed, they knocked down a cow which they had in their possession, cut her up in pieces without skinning her, then took to their heels and made their escape. This they would not have accomplished had General Poore completed his circuit in closing the circle surrounding them. However, the Indians were easily tracked, from the blood which dropped from the cow’s flesh. They were very wrathful at their defeat, and to express it they withed together young hickories."
Mr. Clark received for his services a pension of $96 per year. Subsequently he was appointed captain of militia, and was known by the old settlers as "Captain Clark." After peace, Captain Clark remained in Wyoming one year. In the spring of 1784 he moved to the place now called Frenchtown, (Bradford County) and in the year after came up to Ulster, built a log house on the bank of the river on what is known as the "Watkins place," and moved his family into it in the spring of 1785. It will be remembered that an unusually severe rain fell in October, 1786, causing an unusual rise in the river, called the "pumpkin freshet," from the large quantity of that vegetable that floated down the river. Captain Clark’s house stood on the low flat near the river. The water began to rise rapidly, the family became alarmed and fled to the hills and Mr. Clark commenced moving his goods from the house; and so rapidly did the water rise that across a low place between his house and the hillside, where was dry ground when he went for his last load of goods, he was compelled to swim his oxen on the return. The water came up to the eaves of the house, but the building resisted the force of the current, and after the flood subsided the family moved back into it.
The winter before the great ice freshet (1784) Mr. Clark was at Sheshequin, and in company with Sergeant Thomas Baldwin, went down to Wilkes-Barre in a canoe. There had been a thaw accompanied with rain, and the river was bank full when the weather became suddenly cold. It was with great effort, the two men could keep from freezing. The reached Wilkes-Barre that same day, but so intensely cold had the weather become that, high as the river was, it froze over that night.
Like other Connecticut settlers, Captain Clark took up his farm in Ulster under the Connecticut title, but this proving worthless, he purchased the State title through Thomas Overton. Mr. Clark occupied what is now known as the "Watkins place" until 1816, when he moved to other lands of his, now included in the farm of Benjamin Ross. Here in 1817, he erected a frame dwelling which is yet standing; and our esteemed friend, Rev. S. C. Hovey, a grandson of Mr. Clark, who kindly pointed out the old land-marks for us--rode the horse when a boy nine years old that was hitched in front of the ox-team that drew the logs to the mill for this building. here Mr. Clark lived until the time of his death, which occurred in August, 1834, at the age of eighty-seven years.
Captain Clark was an ardent Federalist and a member of the Methodist church. His house was a place of entertainment for travelers, and the home of the Methodist itinerant for many years, and in it the first preaching was held in Sheshequin. Here in 1810 the preaching of Rev. Loring Grant, H. B. Bascom, late Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, was converted and received into the Church. It may be said that Mr. Clark kept the first hotel in Ulster.
Towanda, Pa., Oct. 23, 1884
Captain Clark was twice married. In the Westmoreland town records are the following entries: Births of the children of Benjamin Clark and Nabbie his wife, John Theophilus, born July 8, 1770; Poly, born February 24, 1772; Nabby, born March 3, 1774; Sally and Milly (twins) born March 5, 1777, Nabbie, wife of Benjamin Clark departed this life March 12, 1777, in the twenty-fourth year of her age.
John T. married and settled in Burlington where he died. His history will be found interesting. Mary married a Blanchard, and Abagail married a Culver; both left the State.
It is now seen that Captain Clark was married before the Revolutionary war, and that he settled at WilkesBarre, coming from Connecticut. On his way from the East, he purchased a peck of potatoes, or rather eyes, and brought them in a sack to Wilkes-Barre, where he planted them and had a fine crop.
Mr. Clark’s second marriage was to Keziah Yarrington, whose first husband, Silas Gore, was slain in the battle of Wyoming, she being in the Forty-Fort at the time of the battle. Mrs. Gore came from Stonington, Connecticut. Before the battle, "Captain Henry," an Indian, who had been on friendly terms with Mr. Gore, hinted to them it would be best for them to go down the river, but he did not heed the warning. After our men were defeated in the Wyoming battle, some refugees on reaching the fort said, "that the whites were nearly all killed." This was the warning to prepare for their escape and the slaughter. Mrs. Gore, Mrs. Bidlack, Mrs. Durkee and Mrs. York went to the door of the fort, but were refused a pass. Mrs. Gore said, to stay in the fort would only be awaiting their slaughter and the women persisted in their demand, and were finally allowed to go out. They found a canoe, and made their escape down the river to Naticoke. Mrs. Gore, or Mrs. Clark, as we shall now call her, was intimately acquainted with "Slocum family," and not unfrequently recited to her grandchildren and others the sad facts connected with that unfortunate family, whose history is read by the school boy, with the interest that he would read a novel. May he, however, remember that this is no fanciful picture in words, but that history of the "Slocum family," is a sorrowful reality.
Mrs. Clark had three daughters by her first marriage, Patty Gore married a son of Jermiah Shaw, who came to Sheshequin with his family in 1786; Rebecca Gore married James Braffit, an early settler of Burlington, who died, Phenthen married Joseph Bloom, another early settler of Burlington, who moved with his family to the State of Ohio; Lucy Gore married Avery, son of Obadiah Gore, and lived in Sheshequin. By her second marriage were Lucinda Clark, who was married to Nathaniel Hovey; Ursula Clark, to Samuel Treadway, whose family moved to Illinois; William Clark married Sylvia, a daughter of Ezra Mills, who had a part of his father’s farm. About 1817 he moved to Cairo, Illinois.
Julia Ann Clark was married to John Overton, and he having died she married John Passmore and went West. Mrs. Clark, who moved with her first husband, Mr. Gore, from Connecticut, often remarked that she never saw a loaf of bread until she came to Wilkes-Barre. Johnny-cake was "the staff of life" with the Connecticut people, and is even to this day much used; hence the nick-name that we sometimes hear--"The land of Johnny-cakes." Mrs. Clark’s father stated, "when Mr. Gore and myself came in from the East, Mr. Gore walked the entire distance, while I rode the horse and held the two children." Mrs. Clark lived to be over ninety-one years of age.
Towanda, Pa., Oct. 30, 1884
Nathaniel Hovey, who married Lucinda Clark, came to Ulster as early as 1802 from Connecticut, and lived with Benjamin Clark. He moved to within eighteen miles of Batavia, N.Y., and enlisted in the war of 1812. He was Sergeant of a company, and was taken sick and died at Sackett’s Harbor in 1814. He had a family of three children, viz: Simmons C, William and Hannag. Simmons and Hannah, Mrs. Hiram Horton, are yet living. When Mr. Hovey entered the service, his family was sent back to Ulster.
Adrial Simons came from Connecticut about the time, or a little before Captain Clark, and occupied the farm now owned by Esquire VanDyke and Mr. A. Watkins. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, was taken prisoner in one of the battles fought in the vicinity of New York, and was for a long time confined in one of the prison ships in Long Island Sound, where he suffered untold cold and filth, which gave these floating deps such an unenviable notoriety. He is described as a fine old gentleman, hard-working, frugal, and kind to the poor. Captain Simons raised a large family. Four of his sons, Elijah, Anson, Bingham and George, went to the State of Ohio. Jeduthan died in Ulster.
Solomon Tracy lived in the lower part of Ulster, on what is now known as the "Mather place." He was born in Litchfield County, Connecticut, and his wife, Mary Wells, was born in Southold, on Long Island. She was a sister of General Henry Wells, from whom Wellsburg, in New York, and Wells township in Bradford County, were named. Mr. Tracy moved from Litchfield to Orange County, N.Y., to a place called the "Drowned Lands." From there he went to the Lackawaxen, where he was engaged in the Indian wars. After the Revolutionary war he went to Wyoming, and then to Ulster, arriving at the latter place in 1787. Hon. Henry W. Tracy, a son of Captain Solomon says:--"My oldest sister was born October 19th, 1787, and when she was a child they moved to Ulster. I have heard my mother say she carried her in her arms through the Breakneck Narrows on horseback. In 1809 my parents moved to Angelica, N.Y. My father died at my brother’s near Canandaigua, N.Y. My mother died while living with me in Standing Stone, and was buried in the old Wysox burying-ground."
Eli Holcomb came from Simmbury, Connecticut, in March, 1793, says Craft’s history, and private information in 1794, and settled on the place now occupied by E. L. Walker. Mr. Holcomb was a thriving, industrious citizen, and raised a large family of sons, some of whom remained in Ulster, while others went into LeRoy where they were the pioneer settlers. One of the daughters married Seeley Crofut, of LeRoy, and another Ebenezer Shaw, the late centenarian of Sheshequin. Mr. Holcomb died at Ulster in 1823, at the age of eighty-one years.
The Holcomb saw-mill, on Cash’s Creek, was known for a long distance, and lumber with which most of the houses in Ulster and adjoining towns were built, was sawed there.
Captain Isaac Cash was a prominent citizen of Ulster, and one of its early settlers. He was the oldest son of Daniel and Mary (Tracy) Cash, and was born in Orange county, N.Y. in 1766. The family removed to Wyoming about 1776, and just preceding the battle Mr. Cash went East to Solicit aid to repel the expected invasion. On his return he met the flying fugitives, and among them his wife and little children. They went back to Orange County, and after the war was over returned to Wyoming, where Mr. Cash died in 1789. Isaac Cash was among the early settlers in Athens, having settled on the "Point" on the farm afterwards owned by General Wells. He sold his improvement in 1791, and moved to Ulster while yet a single man. He settled on the farm next above Mr. Holcomb, and which Solomon Tracy owned, of whom Mr. Tracy purchased it by deed dated "August 8, 1791," and described as lot "No.3, of Ulster, in Old Sheshequin." S.S. Lockwood, a grandson of Mr. Cash, occupied the place for several years since his death. Captain Cash married Sarah, youngest daughter of Judge Gore, of Sheshequin. He was an active, energetic man, dealing largely in lumber and real estate. He was appointed Justice of the Peace, and held that office until the time of his death, which was in April 1813; his wife had died but two weeks before him. Of the eleven children left orphans by the sudden death of their parents, Anna married first Dr. Robert Russell, and second Colonel Edmund Lockwood, a notice of whom will be given further along. David Cash traveled considerably, and after embarking in several enterprises studied law at Nashville and was admitted to the bar; but being called home by the illness of a sister, he formed a partnership with his uncle, Simon Kinney, and took up his abode in Towanda, where he married. He held the office of Notary Public, District Attorney, Prothonotary, and was a candidate for the State Senate, but was defeated by Hon. Samuel Morris, of Luzerne County. Mr. Cash was also interested in the construction of the North Branch Canal and of the Barclay Railroad. He continued to reside in Towanda until the time of his death in 1864.
George W. second son of Isaac Cash, went to Texas, where he enlisted in the war for Texan independence, was captured by the Mexicans, and put to death in cold blood by order of Santa Anna. Another son, John S., went to Texas and met a similar fate as his brother. Daniel S., the fifth son, was a blacksmith and went West, where he became deeply interested in the Lake Superior copper business. He died in 1869.
Abram Parmeter was among the early settlers of Ulster. He was a native of Boston, and when about fifteen years old entered in the Revolutionary army, and was in the battles of Stillwater and Saratoga, and was at the surrender of Burgoyne. For his services he drew a pension. Mr. Parmeter, was a single man when he came to Ulster, and though never owning land, for many years lived on what is known as the "Overton place," now the "Mather farm."
In 1791, a family by the name of Mills reached Ulster, having moved from the State of New Jersey to the West Branch, leaving the latter place with the intention of settling in the State of New York. Upon reaching Ulster the commotion attending the Indian treaty at Athens that year induced them to remain until the affair should be ended. While the family remained here, "Patience Mills" became acquainted with Mr. Parmeter and they were married. Mr. Parmeter remained in Ulster until 1813, when he moved his family to the State of Ohio. The family of Mr. Mills moved to Canada, where land was offered gratuitously to settlers.
Chester Bingham was at Ulster at an early day. He was from Connecticut, and was an extensive speculator in lands claimed under the Connecticut title. At one time he was considered wealthy, but by the failure of the Connecticut claim he lost everything. Esquire VanDyke lives on a part of the "Bingham farm." Wanton Rice, who was probably at Frenchtown in 1793, was on the Bingham farm in 1809. Mr. Bingham’s wife died in 1803, and soon thereafter he returned to Connecticut. He had a family of five children. One daughter was united in marriage with Josiah Tuttle, of Sheshequin, and another with Josephus Campbell of Burlington. Mr. Bingham had a brother, Ozias, who resided just below the line of Ulster, in North Towanda township.
Elijah Granger came from Suffield, Connecticut, in 1804, and located on the "Alanson Smith place." He remained in Ulster but two or three years, when he moved to Athens where he died in 1814 at the age of seventy years. Alfred, a son of Mr. Granger, had moved to the Susquehanna previous, and he gave such a flattering description of the country that the father was induced to move his family to "the land of promise."
H. F. MARSH, EDITOR
Towanda, Pa., Nov. 6, 1884
Thomas Overton, grandfather of Colonel Overton, of Towanda, a native of England, came from Luzerne County to Athens, where he resided a short time and then purchased the Solomon Tracy place. Here he kept a public house for a number of years. He was a man of much enterprise and activity, and for many years was agent for Carroll and other land owners. Mrs. Overton, who came to this country some years after her husband was a lady of polished manners. She, Mrs. Cash and Mrs. Rice, died about the same time of spotted fever which prevailed throughout the country in 1812.
Mr. Overton died suddenly, and the place passed into the hands of Mr. Gibson, and is now owned by the Mather brothers. The place was noted for the militia trainings, which used to be held there. The "old Overton house" was burned and another was erected on the site.
Leonard Westbrook lived down next to the narrows at one time, and was an early settler in the township. The family were remarkable for their size and strength. The following story related to us a few weeks since by one of Ulster’s oldest and most reliable citizens, proves our statement. "The encounter took place on what is known as the ‘Westbrook flats.’ Suddenly, as Mr. Westbrook was walking along, up rose bruin, a large black fellow, on his hind legs and made for him. They clinched and though the hold was bruin’s favorite--the bear hold--Mr. Westbrook came down on top. He had no weapon, but the fall put him near a large pine knot which he seized, and beat out the bear’s brains. It is needless to say that in the encounter Mr. Westbrook was left with his clothing badly rent."
Above the Narrows, towards Milan, lived Joseph C. Powell. The place was known by those that ran the river as Powell’s Eddy. Mr. Powell was the fourth Sheriff of Bradford County.
On the farms next above Mr. Powell’s were the smiths, Joseph and Lockwood. The Anthony estate is the farm of Joseph, and A. O. Snell lives on the Lockwood Smith property.
Mrs. H. Smith, daughter of Lockwood Smith, gives us the following history of the Smith family: "My father, Lockwood Smith, came from Dutchess County, Connecticut to the Wyoming valley prior to the Revolutionary war. At the time of his removal from the East, he was married and his wife rode a horse which he possessed, and which also carried their supply of necessities for beginning life in a new country. Father walked the entire distance. They lived in the valley until the people were threatened by the Indians and Tories, when they took their departure. However, before leaving, they buried such of their household goods as would not be easily destroyed by the dampness, (thinking they would return,) then taking their horse and a bundle of clothing, again set out for their Eastern home. Here father lost his first wife, and he again married. Some years later, he and his brother-in-law, Ahortiabb Buck, left Connecticut, crossed the Catskill mountains, the North river, and reached the Susquehanna in the vicinity of the Great Bend. Here they took an Indian canoe and paddled down the river to what in later years became Buckville, where Mr. Buck settled with his family. However, Mr. Buck accompanied father, his wife, and a young son, down the river to the mouth of Buck Creek (so named from this same Mr. Buck,) where a landing was made. About a mile south of the creek, on the place now owned by H. Smith and heirs, with others, father took up a farm of four hundred acres and began improving. By his second wife, Deborah Buck, father had a family of eight children. She died and he again married, Mrs. Jonathan Platt, of Sackett’s Mills, unto whom were born five children, I being one of the five, and the only one of the thirteen living."
Mr. Smith died in the township at the age of eighty-nine years. The children from his first wife were Enos, who lived and died in Smithfield; Nancy, who married William Knapp, of Burlington, and died there; William moved to Michigan where he died; Asel moved to Illinois and died there; Deborah married Thomas Buck, and died at Big Flats, N.Y.; Phoebe married John Phelps, and died in Tioga County, Pa; Lockwood moved to Illinois, and died there; Silas died when a young man. Platt moved to Illinois, where he died; Rachael married Burdette Wilson, and died in Tioga county, Pa.; Polly married William Edminster, and died at Spencer, N.Y.; Abigail married Henry Smith and is yet living; Zeruah married Shepherd Moody, and died in Illinois.
Ezekiel Curry lived on the farm which belonged to the late Colonel C. F. Welles’ estate, his log house standing near where a brown house afterwards stood on this farm. He had a son, Ezekiel, Jr.
Daniel Minier, a German by birth, moved from Northampton County, Pa., to Athens before 1800, thence to Ulster township on the place now owned by M. G. Warner, near the beginning of the nineteenth century. He occupied the place until the time of his death. He had a family of the following: Elizabeth, Mary, Susan, Hannah, Anna, George, John, Abraham, Daniel and Elias. all are now dead. The Miniers were strong Methodists. Abraham Minier was an itinerant preacher, and disseminated the "good word" for over fifty years. He married Judith Burch, whose brother, Rev. Robert Burch, was a preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and at one time Presiding Elder on the Sesquehanna district, and lived in Ulster.
William and Joseph Loughry were probably brothers, and early settlers in Ulster. By deed dated December 11, 1794, Reuben Fuller, of Tioga, conveys to William Loughry, of Tioga, a lot described as No. 1 and 2 of Ulster, and opposite New Sheshequin. William Loughery, and Nancy his wife; Joseph Loughery and Mary, his wife, of Ulster conveyed to Stephen Powell of "Stamford town, Dutchess County, New York State" the same land by deed dated October 6, 1801.
In the back part of Ulster, on what is known as Moore’s Hill, Clement Paine, of Athens, owned some property on the Burlington road and had made some improvements on it.
Jeduthan, a son of Captain Adrial Simons, was living in the same neighborhood about 1820 to 1825. Mr. Howie bought the place of Mr. Paine, and Peter McAu lived near him. Besides these there are families of Pollocks, Mathers, Dicksons and others, names familiar to every reader of Scotch history. Mr. Gibson was a Scotchman, but settled at Ulster, and being among the first aided his countrymen in the selection of their homes and in the negotiations for their farms. The emigration began about 1822, and families continued to come for several years.
Towanda, Pa., Nov. 13, 1884
The father of Lorin Kingsbury probably taught the first school. The school house stood near where the present residence of George Rockwell now is.
Eli Holcomb had a saw mill near the mouth of Cash’s Creek. His son, Truman, probably built the first saw mill on the creek back from the river.
The first framed house built in the township was in 1818, of lumber sawed at Holcomb’s mill.
Thomas Overton built a grist and saw mill together on the river.
Ulster is a pleasant village of about 500 persons, and is pleasantly situated on the right bank of the Susquehanna, on the line of the Pa. & N.Y.R.R., eight miles from the county seat. West and north of the village the land rises to a considerable height, almost hiding it from view until you are literally upon it. In and about Ulster village tobacco growing is an important business.
The following are the points of interest there:
James Irving is a general merchant, and successor to C. E. Ferguson. He established himself in business at Ulster in 1878. In his neatly arranged store may be found a full line of dry goods, notions, domestics, hats, caps, boots and shoes, ready made clothing, wall paper, light hardware, and a full and choice line of groceries, tobacco and cigars. Anything in fact found in a first-class country store, is found here. Mr. Irving has charge of the telephone exchange. He is a young man of fine business qualifications, of strict integrity and a winning address. he is building up a trade and reputation that will be permanent.
James Mather is engaged in general merchandise, and established himself in this business at Ulster in 1874; he is also the postmaster of the village, keeping the office in connection with his store. His store contains a full line of dry goods, notions, boots and shoes, hats and caps, shelf hardware, crockery and glassware, farming implements, groceries, confectioneries, tobacco and cigars, and other articles too numerous to mention. Mr. Mather is a gentleman of pleasant manners, and is fully acquainted with his business. From the crowd constantly found at his store it is evident that he is doing a prosperous business.
Irving R. Schoonmaker, physician and druggist, established himself in the drug business at Ulster in May 1878. He carried a full and fresh line of drugs, and anything pertaining to the healing art, together with stationery, confectioneries, tobacco, cigars, etc. Mr. Shoonmaker is a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, and with his attainments and natural ability, must reach eminence in his chosen profession.
H. A. Scott and son deal in groceries and provisions; firm established at Ulster in May, 1884. In their snug little store may be found a choice line of groceries, canned goods, superior brands of flour, tobacco, cigars, and anything choice in their line together with boots and shoes, farming implements, and many miscellaneous articles. They are building up a fine trade.
John Green is engaged in wagon making, ironing and painting. If you want a first class job give him a call.
Edmund Lockwood is proprietor of a steam planing mill in which first class work is done.
Ward Estabrook is the skillful blacksmith, who has handled the sledge at Ulster for thirteen years. He does a general custom business, and can mend or make anything from a cambric needle to a crow bar. Mr. Eastabrook has worked at blacksmithing for twenty years.
M. L. Merrill is the good natured boot and shoe maker of the village, who mends or makes a boot or shoe in the neatest and most substantial manner. He as been established at Ulster for sixteen years.
Allen Ribble is engaged in shingle and cider making. His shingle mill has a capacity of 15,000 per day, and his cider mill a capacity of eighty barrels. He does strictly a first class work. He established himself at Ulster May 1, 1884.
Miss Ella Griffith is the fashionable milliner of the place.
Misses Mills have a fancy store, dry goods, notions, etc.
There is also a steam saw and grist mill in the village.
The Rockwell House, formerly known as the VanDyke House, was opened June 1, 1884, by Emmett Rockwell, the gentlemanly proprietor. His charges are very reasonable, and his accommodations first class.
Hotel Holcomb was established in 1883 by C. W. Holcomb, and has the same location as the old "Barley Sheaf" hotel, which was established in 1838 by S.B. Holcomb. Mr. Holcomb keeps a very neat house and charges moderately.
Ulster also affords a church (M.E.) and a graded school. In the way of societies it has K of H and E.A.U.
There is a passenger and freight depot at Ulster, and Henry Shaw is the accommodating agent, having held that place since 1871. There is considerable shipping done at this point.
H. F. MARSH, EDITOR
Towanda, Pa, Nov. 20, 1884
OUR VISITS AMONG THE PEOPLE
Dr. Edward Mills came to the township of Ulster in 1839 as a practicing physician, and has continually followed his profession there until with a year, when he was required to retire on account of declining health and the infirmities of old age. He was the first regular physician at Ulster. He first read medicine with Dr. Andrus, of Smithfield, then with Drs. Huston and Weston, of Towanda, after which he took a regular college course, graduating at the same institution, as is now founded at Albany, N.Y. Before Dr. Mills came to Ulster, Deacon Elliott lived on the VanDyke farm. He kept a few drugs and pulled teeth.
Mr. Mills father, Edward Mills, came to Bradford County from Connecticut. He lived for about a year at Ulster, then moved to "Sugar Creek," where he lived for some years, then moved West where he died. When Edward Mills was an infant, only three weeks old, his father was cruelly murdered at Fort Griswold, a place that will long be remembered for the fiendish malignity of the British in Revolutionary times. While the gore of "the fathers," was being spilled, Mrs. Mills could distinctly hear the shouts of the "red-coated demons" as they went on with their barbarous work amid the cries of the unfortunates.
Other descendants of Edward Mills are yet living in North Towanda. Dr. Mills is father of Attorney Edward Mills, of Athens, and John Mills, a civil engineer and employed on the P. C. and Jersey Shore Railroad.
Mrs. Frank Dayton, a daughter, is a well known teacher of eminence, and at one time held the second place in the Towanda Graded School. To her the scribe of these sketches is indebted for his first lessons in grammar. And though it is poor, it is not our friend’s fault.
A maiden daughter lives with her parents, and a third son, Wilson, lives in the village. He is a deaf mute, as is his wife. Two very bright children bless the household. Emma plays very beautifully upon the piano, and it was our pleasure to listen to her. Though Mr. Mills has a palsied tongue, he is a very interesting gentleman, and is a skillful mechanic and very ingenious.
Mrs. Mills, Patience Rutty, a daughter of Ezra Rutty, an early settler of North Towanda, is a very entertaining lady, who can crack a joke with the appreciation of the merry school girl.
We found Edmund Lockwood a very interesting and accommodating gentleman and in our pleasant "chat" with him gleaned many valuable facts. He is a prosperous farmer, and makes tobacco growing a specialty. He occupies a part of the ancestral estate purchased by his father, Colonel Edmund Lockwood, of the Cash heirs when he came to the township of Ulster. Colonel Edmund Lockwood was born in Watertown, Connecticut, in 1769, and moved from that place to Bradford County. In 1797, he was commissioned Captain in the Eighth Regiment of Militia, by Governor Oliver Wolcott. In 1802 he was promoted to the rank of Major by Governor Oliver Wolcott. In 1810 he received his commission as Colonel of the same Regiment from Governor John Treadwell. About this time he removed to Baltimore, Maryland, and entered the service of Charles Carroll, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. And it may be of interest to those who have noticed in the list of the signers, "of Carrollton" annexed to the name of Charles Carroll, why it so happened. For a digression we will give it. As the fifty-six immortals attached their names to the "great document," they did so as it were with halters about their necks. Should their cause be lost, all would be hung for treason. As Carroll was writing his name, some one at his elbow remarked, "There, you will escape, they will not know which one." (There were other Charles Carroll’s). To assure his friends that he was willing to die for the cause, and that he wished no one to die in his stead, he at once added "of Carrollton" to his name."
Soon after, Colonel Lockwood had been appointed agent by Carroll for his lands in Bradford and adjoining counties, he removed to Athens, Pa., where he remained a year, thence moved to Brown’s Creek for a short time, and from there to the place upon which he lived until the time of his demise in 1834. He had a tract of five hundred acres and improved these, and at the same time acted as agent for Carroll until the time of his death, then for Richard Caton, son-in-law of Carroll, who became the owner of his titles. In 1816 Colonel Lockwood married the widow of Dr. Robert Russell, who was a surgeon in the war of 1812, and is supposed to have been killed in the war, as he was never heard from afterwards. Mrs. Lockwood was a daughter of Isaac Cash, and a granddaughter of Obadiah Gore. Unto Colonel and Mrs. Lockwood were born eight children, and these were Edmund, living on a part of the homestead; Abigail C., (widow of John Jones) living on a part of the homestead; Richard Caton, living at Wellsburg, N.Y.; Samuel S., living at Athens; Mary Ann (widow of the late D. B. Walker;) Phoebe M., (wife of Henry Segar,) occupies a part of the homestead; Charles H. and Francis, died young.
Colonel Lockwood had previously married Nancy Judson by whom he had two children--Caroline, who married Samuel Simons, and Charles J., who died unmarried.
Mrs. Lockwood died in 1865 at the age of seventy-two years. She was a very kind and hospitable lady, and for more than three score years her home was the spot upon which she was born and reared. She had a tenacious memory and good conversational powers, and in her later years people resorted to her for information of the early history of the county. This she was fond of recounting.
We found Rev. S. C. Hovey and his estimable wife, very hospitable and interesting people, full of kind, encouraging words and early history. Mr. Hovey is a son of Nathaniel Hovey, and a grandson of Benjamin Clark, two heroes already mentioned in our letters. He was born in Ulster in 1807; where he has spend his whole life; and being yet possessed of a clear memory is an encyclopedia on early Ulster, a fact which we took advantage of and gleaned many valuable facts which have been recited in our letters.
Mr. Hovey received a good common school education, and has had the happy experience of pedagogue. He adopted farming as a profession, and as such has been very successful. He added to the small tract of land inherited from his grandfather Clark, by purchase at different times, till he owned an ample estate, where he resided until 1873, when he sold it and retired from active life in the village of Ulster--still retaining, however, a farm on "Moore’s Hill."
In 1829 Mr. Hovey married Miss Eleanor Boyce, whose parents settled in Sheshequin at quite an early day. Mr. Hovey took care of his aged grandparents, Captain Clark and wife, whose closing days were rendered pleasant by the kindness of his filial grandson and his generous-hearted wife. Mr. and Mrs. Hovey have both been active and useful members of the M. E. Church for more than half a century. Mr. Hovey has been class-leader, exhorter, and local preacher, and in 1846, he was regularly ordained by Bishop Roberts. The Hovey mansion has for a generation been the home of the Methodist ministers, and the headquarters of Methodism in Ulster. Mr. Hovey has been an active promoter of education, serving for twenty-five years as school treasurer and collector of taxes. He has also held other offices of trust, and in all positions has acted his part well. Mr. Hovey has been an ardent Republican since the organization of that party. In the "Hard Cider and Log Cabin" campaign of 1840, he drew one of the pine logs used in the cabin at Towanda, from Ulster.
Mr. Hovey has only a sister, Mrs. Hannah Horton, living at Lawrenceville, Pa. His only brother, William M., died in 1850, and his youngest son, Robert M. was adopted by his uncle Simons and carefully educated, and has been for some years general ticket agent, and paymaster, and now chief clerk in the G. I. & S. Railroad office at Sayre, Pa.
H. F. Marsh Editor
Towanda, Pa., Nov. 27, 1884
OUR VISITS CONTINUED
We found George H. Van Dyke an affable and accommodating gentleman at his elegant home in Ulster village, and one of the neatest and most extensive farmers in the township. His buildings are well arranged and spacious, and he has supplied himself with all the improved appliances for carrying on farming. In addition to general farming, the growing of tobacco is made a specialty. A choice dairy is kept, and attention given to the stall feeding of young stock. Mr. Van Dyke is developing into the Durham stock.
G. H. Van Dyke is a son of William Van Dyke, who came to Bradford County from Northumberland County, Pa., about 1812, and located on Towanda Creek near "Hale’s," where he lived for about ten years and had charge of the mills. Fully sixty years ago he moved to Moore’s Hill, Ulster township on the place now owned by his sons, Davis and William, and there lived until the time of his death in 1860. William Van Dyke was of Holland Dutch descent, and married an Irish lady, American born.
George H. Van Dyke, the Democratic County Commissioner elect, is a gentleman of sixty-five years of age. He is a man of practical education, strict integrity, a Democrat in politics, but liberal. He has never sought office, but by the voluntary suffrage of his neighbors has been called to fill all the township offices once or more. At present he is serving his third term as Justice of the Peace. His nomination for the office of County Commissioner was not sought, and he was not present at the time of the Democratic Convention. That he is a gentleman in whom the people have the fullest confidence, and that he is universally popular at home and wherever he is known may be seen by an examination of the tabular statement of the election returns.
E. L. Walker and his estimable wife gave us a very pleasant reception. Their home is in the northern part of Ulster village on part of the estate of Colonel Edmund Lockwood. Mr. Walker carries general farming, but gives especial attention to the growing of tobacco. He is working into thoroughbred Jerseys. Mr. Walker has given considerable attention to lumbering, and at present has a large job near Deep Hollow, Overton township. Mr. Walker is an active young Republican, and a son of D. B. Walker (deceased), who held the office of County Coroner for three successive terms; his mother was Miss Mary Ann Lockwood, a daughter of Colonel Lockwood. She is yet living with her son upon the homestead.
Mr. Walker showed us a very interesting collection of letters, papers and documents from his grandfather Lockwood. He has his "big pocketbook" with the date, 1803, yet hardly soiled. Richard Caton’s letters were found interesting, as were some of the old land grants.
"Uncle" Uriah Shaw furnished us many interesting items, and entertained us very pleasantly. He is a gentleman now nearly four score years, but has a memory as clear as most men half his age. Mr. Shaw’s early life was spent upon the farm. He learned the trade of carpenter, became a skillful workman and followed that profession the greater part of his life. For several months past he has been employed as mail carrier at Ulster, and fills his position with a commendable promptness. Mr. Shaw has been a constant student, and has a richly stored mind. He has found great delight in the study of phrenology, and has read Fowler and Wells for years. He has taken much pains in gathering old documents, journals, etc., and it is indeed very interesting to go over his collection. Among his old newspapers we noticed several copies of the Bradford Settler, one of the first papers published in the county, and at Towanda where it was known as Meansville. A copy of that paper published in September, 1827, gave the following county tickets:
Democratic--Assembly, Constant Mathewson; Sheriff, Benjamin McKean; Commissioner, Chauncey Frisbie; Auditor, William Russell; Coroner, John L. Webb.
Federal --Assembly, George Kinney; Sheriff, Francis Tyler; Commissioner, Churchill Barnes; Auditor, Henry Morgan; Coroner, Buckley Tracy.
Mathewson, McKean, Barnes, Morgan, and Webb were elected. At this time the Democratic party were in the ascendancy, though the "Old Man Eloquent," John Quincy Adams, (Federalist) was President, and the great Henry Clay, Secretary of State.
Uriah Shaw is a son of Ebenezer Shaw, who came to Sheshequin in 1786, (April 21st) with his parents, Jeremiah and Abigail Shaw, from Wilkes-Barre, Pa. Jeremiah Shaw was a native of Rhode Island, and moved from there to Columbia County, N. Y., when Ebenezer was about a year old, (he being born in 1771). Here he remained for fourteen years, then removed his family to Wilkes-Barre, where he remained only a few weeks. While here he met General Spalding, who told him of the beautiful Sheshequin flats, and urged him to move his family thither. He accordingly secured a boat, took his family on board with such effects as he had and came up the river, requiring a journey of several days. During the first few days of Mr. Shaw’s residence in the wilderness he took up his abode with General Spalding until he could erect a log house for himself. He settled upon the farm now occupied by Peter Wolf, near the Sheshequin Church, and lived there until the time of his death, in 1815, at the age of eighty-four years. Mrs. Shaw died in 1811. Their children were, Ebenezer, Jeremiah, Benjamin, Loren, Hannah, Abigail and Phoebe.
After Ebenezer had attained his majority he struck out in the world for himself. His father soon found that he could not get along without his son’s assistance upon the farm, and hence called him home and sold him the northern part of the farm. Subsequently he purchased the balance and became the sole proprietor.
In 1801 Mr. Shaw married Mrs. Cynthia Holcomb, a daughter of Eli Holcomb, an early settler in Ulster. Unto them were born seven children. These were Laura, Harry, Uriah, Norman, Matilda, Hiram and Cynthia.
Uriah and Norman live in Ulster village; Matilda is Mrs. Obadiah Gore, of Sheshequin; Hiram lives in Missouri.
Ebenezer Shaw was Constable of Sheshequin for a number of years, and while acting in that capacity was required to go to Williamsport to make his returns, it then being the county seat (Bradford not yet having been formed.) Uriah remembers his father’s recounting "Pennamite and Yankee troubles." On one occasion his father in company with others took one of the opposite party, tarred-and-feathered him, compelled him to climb upon a stump and crow like a rooster.
Ebenezer Shaw lived to be a centenarian. He was born at Newport, Rhode Island, September 5, 1771, and died in Sheshequin December 17, 1871. His wife, Cynthia Holcomb, was born at Barkhamstead, Connecticut, March 17, 1783, and died in Sheshequin in 1863. At the time of Mr. Shaw’s death he was the oldest Freemason in the United States, and probably the oldest person belonging to the Order. He was a member of Amity Lodge, No. 7, A. Y. M., at Athens, which he joined December 26, 1801. His sister, Hannah Shaw, who married Hezekiah Townsend, lived to be ninety-seven years old.
Uriah Shaw married Miss Patience L. Segar, a daughter of Ebenezer Segar. Their children are, Henry, the station agent and operator at Ulster; H. Z. agent and operator at Milan; B. F., an architect at St. Louis, Missouri; Samuel B. an employee in the post office at Chicago; Cynthia, a maiden daughter living with her parents at Ulster.