|Mansfield PA and Richmond Township in Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
||The Ross Home of Mansfield PA
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
|Article: The Ross Home
|Township: Richmond, Tioga County PA-
|Articles by Chester P. Bailey & Gary Wilston
ANDREW J. ROSS HOUSE
Joyce's Search Tip - November 2008
||Do You Know that you can search just the
articles on the site by using the Articles button in the Partitioned
search engine at the bottom of the Current
What's New Page?
By Chester P. Bailey
Typed for Tri-County website by Pat SMITH Raymond. Reprinted with
permission of Chester P. Bailey
The first map of Mansfield drawn by M. L. Clark dated 1856, shows
the site of Andrew J. Ross house. It is located on the east side of N.
Main Street between Wellsboro and Church (Sherwood) Streets.
The Ross House was sold in 1892 to Dr. Fred Elliott and in 1937 it became
the Shaw Funeral Home. It is today the Wilston Funeral Home, owned by Mr.
& Mrs. Gary Wilston.
J. Ross came to the village forming in the area known locally as Mann’s
Field, Richmond Township in 1835. He was born in Pike, Bradford County,
February 28, 1827. He died August 1875 in Mansfield. He was buried in Oakwood
The land upon which the house is located was part of the 200 acres
sold by John and Peter Kelts to Asa Mann in 1824. It was cleared by him
in 1825-26. It was probably built by Ross in the 1840’s.
Mr. Ross married Miss Sarah McKeine on April 22, 1856. She died July
9, 1882. They raised two sons, Charles and Edward.
Andrew Ross was a prominent business man with the partnership formed
with Philip Williams, they were engaged in nearly every branch of business
and wielded a controlling influence in the monetary affairs of the village
and surrounding township. In May 1872, they formed the banking business,
which is today the First Citizens National Bank.
Charles Ross graduated from the Mansfield State Normal School and
joined his father in the banking business. He became the sole owner of
the bank after the death of his father and Mr. Williams. He retired from
the bank in 1954.
Andrew Ross supported the Classical Seminary and served on the Board
of trustees of the State Normal School for a number of years. He was a
member of the Episcopal Church.
|Edward Ross graduated from the Mansfield Normal School and studied
Law. In 1889 he established the Ross Cigar Company in Mansfield.
A. J. Ross, Philip Williams and Dr. George Smythe purchased
a number of lots between Main St., College Ave. and Academy Street. The
Ross family built the Edward Ross home at the south corner of College Ave
and Academy Street.
Mr. Ross served on the Borough Council four separate years, 1864,
67, 72, 73.
Article Below by Gary Wilston, Sept. 2002, Photo by Joyce M. Tice
The Ross House was sold in 1892 to Dr. Fred Elliott. Dr. Elliott
hired midwives to help pregnant women during childbirth, and many people
still live in this area who were born in the house during the earlier part
of the last century.
|A Mansfield History Minute Reprinted from Wellsboro Gazette with
permission of Gary Wilston
The first map of Mansfield drawn by M.L. Clark in 1856 shows the
site of the Andrew J. Ross house at what is now 18 N. Main Street. The
land upon which the house is located was part of the 200 acres sold by
John & Peter Kelts to Asa Mann in 1824. It was cleared by Mann in 1825-26,
and the house was probably built by Ross in the 1840’s.
A.J. Ross came to the area known locally as Mann’s field, Richmond
Township in 1835 from Bradford County, Pa. Mr. Ross was a prominent businessman
and with the partnership formed with Philip Williams, they were engaged
in nearly every branch of business, and wielded a controlling influence
in the monetary affairs of the village and surrounding township. In May
1872 they formed the banking business which is today the First Citizens
National Bank. Mr. Ross died in August 1875 and is buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
In 1937 the home was sold to Wilford & Genevieve Shaw. Wilford
had purchased a funeral business from his uncle, Llewellyn Shaw, directly
across Main St. where Ten Espresso is currently located. He moved the funeral
business into the Ross house and continued to operate there until the time
of his death. Following Wilford’s death in 1945, Genevieve continued to
operate the funeral business until 1972. At that time the business was
sold to C. Brainard & Lydia Kuhl. They continued the operation of the
funeral home until 1985, when it was purchased by Gary & Tina Wilston.
The Wilston’s are privileged to carry on such a long tradition of service
to the community, and are extremely proud of the history and tradition
of both their home and their funeral business.
Addendum by Joyce M. Tice - Early in the
twentieth century, the undertaking business was an outgrowth of the furniture
business. In the case of the Shaw business, it too started as a furniture
business, adding undertaking (and coffins) as a sideline. Eventually the
two segments split. The one became VanNoyFurniture and the other became
Shaw Funeral parlor. After the death of Wilford, Genevieve entered a partnership
with Bucky Robena and operated for many years as Shaw and Robena Funeral