|If You have any examples of these postcards or photos, please share them with us.|
|See Also - 1883 Tioga County History - Chapter Four - Railroads and Transportation|
|1897 Tioga County History - Chapter 8 - Internal Improvements - Railroads|
|1893 - Jackson train Wreck on Way to Columbian Exposition in Chicago - Local People involved|
|1894 - Wesley Childs - Membership Card in Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen|
|Flagholders for Railroad Related Fraternal Organizations|
|Adalnie Dartt - A Thrillng Ride on the Tioga Division - Blossburg to Elmira|
|Chemung County NY||Tioga County PA||
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad closed the Osceola station Friday and will abandon the property, to maintain a no agency station handling carload freight only. All freight and express will be handled through the Elkland station.
William Roche, station agent, has been transferred to Newfield Junction. The Elkland man had been at the Osceola operation for the past four and one-half years. Before taking the agency at Osceola he worked there briefly under D. E. Wiess.
The closing leaves Osceola without a railroad station, since the Central abandoned their station several years ago and had been using the B&O facilities. The closing was authorized by the Public Utility Commission on April 15th, after hearing the road apply for abandonment at Wellsboro in November. Osceola people fought the closing unsuccessfully, despite the fact that the Osceola station was showing an average yearly profit of over $20,000.
The B&O sent the last passenger train over the rails on November 19, 1949 and stopped Sunday scheduled freight service at that time. With the loss of passenger and mail revenues, and the Sunday freight, the station last year still had a revenue of $63,048.99.
Hay, lumber and milk were the principal materials handled by the station since it was opened in 1882 when the rails pushed westward from Elkland. The present building was erected about 1895. At the peak of valley railroading the station handled as many as eight trains daily four were passenger trains.
The Central pulled rails between Westfield and Newfield Junction in 1926 and discontinued passenger service on their entire Cowanesque line in 1932 Closing the Osceola and other small freight stations as other means of transportation cut into revenues. With the curtailment of powdered milk manufacture and the closing of the Osceola Powdered Milk Plant three years ago, the steady downward trend of lumbering and the rail shipment of farm products, freight revenue hit a new low last year when the Osceola station showed a $19,129.18 profit. That year the station handled 78 cars of freight and 353 cars of milk.
A. J. Dayton, B&B Auditor of Wellsville officially closed the station
Friday and ordered equipment shipped to Dubois. He was accompanied
by NYC auditors and other B&B officials.
I opened up another can of worms earlier in the week by posting a query on the PABRADFO [Ttri-County] list concerning passenger rail service in Tioga Co. The response has been extraordinary!
You may want to check out this link - since I saw that you had posted a few photos of old train stations. http://libwww.syr.edu/digital/images/e/ErieRailroad/
The 'Tioga Division' section has photos of nearly all of the stations along that line - mostly from 1909. This time, I'm keeping track of the responses, links, anecdotes and whatever, as they come in.
Dave Clark Belmont, NC
I came across something that Im sure our internet archeologists will appreciate reading. This part refers to our neighborhood in particular.
maps http://russnelson.com/inventory/maps/ are available, too.
On Monday John H. Way, who had been for thirty years a conductor on
the Fall Brook railroad, resigned that situation and became chief clerk
in the office of George R. Brown, General Superintendent of the Railroad
Company. He left the railroad by choice to take a business situation more
to his liking and for a variety of reasons more desirable. His retirement
from active service on the railroad, which he served so long and faithfully,
offers occasion for reminiscence. Mr. Way first became a Conductor in 1857.
He was then only twenty years of age. He was appointed by L.H. Shattuck,
the then Superintendent of the Tioga Railroad, as Conductor of the mail
train running from Corning to Blossburg, which route was in 1860 extended
to Fall Brook. For twenty years he served in that capacity. When the Syracuse,
Geneva & Corning Railroad was built by the Fall Brook Company in 1877,
Conductor Way was placed in charge of the night and day express between
Corning and Geneva, his run being extended to Lyons on the building of
the branch to that place. He continued on that run until Saturday, when
he made his last trip as a Conductor. When he began railroading there were
only four locomotives on the road. Their names were Corning, Morris, Colket
and Baltimore. They were all wood-burners, and had to stop frequently at
stations to get fuel. It was during the early part of his service that
these locomotives were changed from wood-burners to coal-burners. It was
the first use of coal on that road as fuel for the motive power. The change
was an innovation an experiment but it worked, and thereafter all
the other locomotives and subsequently those on the Erie Railroad burned
coal. It is an interesting fact that Conductor Way brought on his train
the first supply of bituminous coal mined at Fall Brook, Pa. This was in
1860. The coal was carried in four barrels. Two were shipped to W.E. Gregg,
Master Mechanic of the Erie Railroad at Susquehanna; and the other two
were for Reed Wilson, a coal agent at Buffalo. The coal was sent to them
for trial, and for the purpose of introducing it in the market. Conductor
Way has seen the Fall Brook Railroad develop from small proportions into
one of the busiest and most important iron thoroughfares in the East. The
four feeble wood-burning locomotives which the old Tioga road had during
his young Conductorship have now given place to 62 powerful engines. When
he first began his run, the coal and freight traffic was in its infancy.
There was so little freight that one car, sent from Corning every other
day, sufficed to hold all the freight articles consigned along the entire
route from Blossburg. As for coal, the traffic in that was of course larger,
but not more then 30 cars daily or 4,500 tons monthly were brought
to Corning. That was all the coal that could be disposed of, to consumers
north, east and west. Now the freight traffic is immense, great trains
running over the road daily, and 200,000 tons of coal on an average passing
each month through Corning. Conductor Way made an enviable record as a
Conductor. It is but just to say that his record was ever free from spot
or blemish. No railroad official was more attentive to duty, or more honorable
in all his business relations. He won and retained the regard of his employers,
by his conscientious and untiring efforts to discharge his duties with
credit to himself and satisfaction to the traveling public. He never received
a word of reprimand from the Company, and he never caused the loss of one
dollar to his employers by reason of mistakes or errors of judgment. He
probably has as large an acquaintanceship as any man in the country. Thirty
years is a long period, and in that time he has made thousands of intimate
acquaintances, who esteem him for his intelligence, his tact, and his undeviating
courtesy. During the last ten years his run has been through six Counties
of this State. Starting from Corning which, as the crow flies, is only
nine miles from the Pennsylvania line he has gone north through Steuben
County, cutting through the northwest corner of Chemung, passing through
Schuyler, up through the Counties of Yates and Ontario, and finally bringing
up in Wayne County at Lyons, which is only eleven miles from Lake Ontario.
He had made this trip daily and has thus practically crossed the Empire
State every day for a decade. He estimates that during his thirty years
as Conductor he has traveled one million miles a distance equal to forty
times around the globe. He is certainly worthy, from a life of veteran
service, to have emeritus written after his name.