Mansfield PA and Richmond Township in Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Postcards & Photos
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
We now have a local history museum in Mansfield representing the area in and near Mansfield including Richmond, Sullivan, Rutland, Covington, Tioga and more
Visit the History Center on Main Street at 83 North Main Street. We also have a locaton at 61 North Main Street.
Regular hours are noon to 3 T, W Th or by appointment.
Also visit us on Facebook
Then and Now, Mansfield Opera House and Borough Hall
Wellsboro Agitator 19 JUL 1887
The Mansfield Burgess and Council was negotiating for the purchase of a lot in the business portion of that borough upon which it is proposed to erect a two story brick edifice, the upper floor to be used for meetings of the Council, School Board, Secretary’s office, Fire Department headquarters, etc. The ground floor will furnish storage for fire apparatus, and a two-cell lockup. [The Prequel}
 Mansfield's Opera House was on Wellsboro Street just east of the Main Street intersection
 It later became the "City Hall" - a misnomer since Mansfield is not and never has been a city. More appropriately it was called Borough Hall. Postcard by Caulkins
From the 1897 History: The Mansfield Opera House Company (Limited),proprietors of the Mansfield Opera House, was incorporated November 19,1888, the incorporators being the members of the Mansfield Hook and Ladder Company. The first officers were Frank E. Van Keuren, president; A.E. Backer, secretary; C.S. Ross, treasurer, and Frank E. Van Keuren, C.S. Ross, A.E. Backer, H.E. Metcalf and John Van Osten, managers. The opera house is a handsome two-story brick, on the north side of Wellsboro street, east of Main street. The borough building, also, a two-story brick, in which are located the borough offices and the fire department, adjoins it on the west.
The Building burned in May 19, 1913. - Shown above and below
Mansfield's Opera House and Borough Hall
Township: Mansfield Borough, Tioga County PA
Year: 1908, 1911, 2002, 2010
Postcard Submitted by: June SMITH Mickley
Photos by Joyce M. Tice
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Warning & Disclaimer
Richmond Township Page
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Contact Joyce
H. K. Brown Motors 1954
1954 ad from Carontawan Yearbook. 
Howard Davis Garage
This view from the intersection shows the bell tower still standing on the section that remained of the Opera House. A Texaco garage stood where the rest of the building had been. This was the loction of the Howard Davis Garage. This picture is probably early to mid 1950s.
In 1957 Esso was the brand of gaoline Howard Davis sold.
1958 Carontawan Ad 
Converted to fire station and then to Borough Building. 
This photo taken 2002 by Joyce M. Tice
21 July 2010 - Update. the borough hall is being dismantled for the new theater / community building. In this photo the western part is gone. After this is cleaned up, the other part, a remainder of the original opera house, will come down, too. The new borough hall is almost completed on South Main Street.
Tom, the mayor, watches his old office being demolished from his new office across the street in the lawn of the Episcopal Church. 
[This is a joke. His new office is almost completed in the new borough building shown below that is on South Main Street.]

All Gone - Even the old Opera House bricks have been transported away. 28 July 2010
Drawing of possible design of new theater on this location. It is designed to reflect the old opera house that stood here from 1888 to 1913. 

You are the  visitor to this page since the counter was installed on 01 JUNE 2002