Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Boys in Blue 


By C. F. Heverly 1898 Printed 1908

This is part of the Tri-Counties Genealogy & History Sites of Joyce M. Tice

No Unauthorized Commercial Use May Be Made of This Material 

Typed for Tri-Counties by Barbara COMSTOCK Coy

Joyce's Search Tip - January 2008
Do You Know that you can search just the 700 pages of Military Records on the site by using the Military button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page



THE DAVIDSON BROTHERS Miller Davidson, whose father, John Davidson, was a soldier in the war of 1812, lived on Hatch Hill, in Albany township. He died before the breaking out of the rebellion leaving four sons, all of whom responded to the call of their country in the hour of her peril and need. These faithful brothers were: GEORGE W. who enlisted Sept 9, '61, and served as a private in Co. K, 50th P.V.; wounded in left arm before Petersburg in June, '64' mustered out Sept. '64-expiration of term; resides in Towanda. CURTIS A., who went west just before the war, enlisted in the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters and served over two years in that regiment. He returned to Michigan after the war and since died at Battle Creek, in that State. JEREMIAH, who went out with his brother, George, was a corporal in the same company with him; re-enlisted and served until the regiment was mustered out of service, July 30, '65; resides in Sullivan county, Pa. DORSON E., who went West with his brother and enlisted with him in the 1st Michigan Sharpshooters, serving the same length of time; resides at New Albany.

THE GRANGER BROTHERS Roderick Granger of North Towanda was one of the most loyal fathers, who contributed to help put down the rebellion. He had five sons, the youngest of whom was a small boy; all the others put on the garb of war and went to the front. These soldier boys were: FRANKLIN, who was a corporal, served for nearly three years in Co. E., 141st P.V.; resides in North Towanda. ALEXANDER, who was a private in Co F. Penn'a Reserves, served three years and was mustered out a veteran; resides in North Towanda. BURTON, enlisted in Co. K, 42d (Bucktail) P.V.; died in Washington, Oct 2,1862, of wounds received in the second Bull Run battle; his remains, however, were brought home for burial. JOSEPH, enlisted in a Minnesota regiment, and died in a hospital in that State from disease contracted in the service. FREDERICK, was a member of Co. C, 97th P.V.; resides in Towanda. ALEXANDER, was wounded at the second battle of Bull Run and again at the Wilderness. A very remarkable and unusual circumstance was that he was both times wounded in the right hand and in the very same place.

THE ROBERTS FAMILY Among Terry's loyal sons during the Rebellion none was more devoted to the Union than the Roberts family. SAMUEL ROBERTS in October, 1861, at the age of 56 years enlisted in Co. I, 6th Pa. Reserves. Four of his sons also donned the blue and served their country with great credit. EDGAR A. enlisted in September, '61, in Co. G, 50th P.V.; was wounded before Petersburg in July '64; distinguished himself at Cold Harbor and was promoted to sergeant; discharged because of his wounds December, '64. NELSON D. served in the 84th P. V. and NAPOLEON B. and PERRY in Co. A, 141st P.V. The last named of these brothers entered the service at the age of 16 years. It is said of him that he was never absent from his company a day, was in every engagement and skirmish of the regiment and escaped without being wounded or captured. He was color-bearer for a time and was promoted to corporal. He was strong and withstood the hardships of war so remarkable well that the boys facetiously called him "Old Ironsides."

THE PHELPS FAMILY William Phelps was reared in Smithfield township and lived there until just before the breaking out of the war. Having a small farm and a large family of children, he sold it and bought 400 acres of wild land heavily timbered in the western part of Athens township, adjoining the Smithfield line, in order to find employment for his sons in clearing up the land. At the breaking out of the war, when President Lincoln called for troops the old gentleman had eight sons, six of them being stalwart, robust, hardy fellows, one an invalid who died Nov. 10, 1861, and the youngest a boy about thirteen years old. In response to the President's call for troops the old gentleman and boys became seized of a patriotic spirit, and he told the boys to enlist in defense of the flag and their country, and he would stay and do the best he could upon the 400 acres of wild land; he was heavily in debt for the land, and his exertions were the only recourse he had of paying for it and getting a living. One by one the boys enlisted until the six sturdy sons had all gone. This left him without any help, save the 13 year old boy-so the old gentleman gave all his sons that were acceptable. MARCUS D. belonged to a Pennsylvania battery and had a leg shot off and died at Louisville, Ky, in 1862. ALBERT O. of Co. K, 141st P.V. was shot through the head and instantly killed at the battle of Hatcher's Run, Feb. 15, '65. ELMER of the 57th P.V., was killed at the battle of Fredericksburg, Dec. 13, '62. BIRDSEY T. died at Nashville, Tenn., Nov. 30, '64. Only two sons out of the six returned-DELAUN residing in California, and VICTOR E. of Co. F. 5th Penn'a Reserves, who died in Athens township, July 12, 1897. "Uncle Billy" as everybody called him, lived to pay for his 400 acres of land, and to see it cleared up into farms. He died Feb. 26, 1882, beloved and respected by all who knew him, fully realizing that he had done his share in the sacrifice of his four sons toward putting down an unholy war. In connection with the service of Albert the following pathetic incidents are related: Young Phelps had greatly desired to visit home, and had made application for a furlough but failed to receive it; whereupon his mother wrote to President Lincoln, saying she had six sons in the service of the country and had greatly desired to see Albert, who had not succeeded in obtaining leave thro the usual channels. The good President was touched with her motherly devotion and granted a leave of thirty days. Albert had returned to the regiment only a short time, and was killed in the first battle after going back. Says a comrade: "After the battle was over a man came and told us that one of our company was killed; he had been shot over the eye and death was so sudden that he had not fallen, but was leaning against a stump. He was about twenty-four years old, and was buried near where he fell."

THE PERKINS BOYS Horace W. Perkins, Charles O. Perkins and Edward L. Perkins were sons of Luke and Ruth Perkins, who came from Massachusetts and settled in Smithfield, in the year 1815. They came of fighting stock, their great-grandfather having been a soldier of the Revolutionary War and was massacred at Fort Griswold, Conn. Their uncle, Phineas Pierce, was a soldier of the War of 1812, and was killed near Fort Niagara. When the war cry was sounded in April, 1861, HORACE was working on the farm for his father. Being born of patriotic parents a good share of this blood was transmitted to him. He let go the plow handles and started to Towanda to enlist, and enrolled his name in Captain Bradbury's company. At the formation of his company he was made second sergeant. He was always polite, kind and affable in manners, and always presented the most neat and tidy appearance of any man in the company, and was usually complimented by the inspecting officer for his neat and graceful appearance. Horace was a born leader and would not ask a man to go where he dare not himself. At the battle of Dranesville, Va., Dec. 20, 1861, he distinguished himself for his daring and bravery. Captain Bradbury was wounded early in the engagement so as to disable him for life. The captain sent Horace his sword, (he being the senior officer present) with instructions to take charge of the company and do the best he could with it. Horace having been brought up in the orthodox faith, had so far forgotten his early instructions, that he sometimes indulged in a little profane language. The fight for a while raged furious and hot and the men were ordered to charge bayonets. Horace spoke and said,"boys, follow me and we will whip the rebels or take breakfast in h-l to-morrow morning." The boys did follow him and they achieved a glorious victory over the rebels, completely routing them. Horace was a kind and obliging comrade, and would divide his last ration with his comrades, no matter whether solid or fluid. I tented with him in the winter of 1861, and know that he was a good forager. The exposures of camp life were more of a physical strain than his constitution could stand, and his health became impaired. He was afflicted with diarrhea, malaria and rheumatism, and he was discharged for physical disabilities August 7, 1862. At the time of Lee's invasion into Pennsylvania in 1863 he enlisted June7, 1863 in Co. I, 47th Penn'a Militia, and served with it until mustered out. His health began to improve and he could not refrain doing what he could toward putting down this unholy war, and he again enlisted March 29, 1864, in the 187th P.V. and was in the siege of Petersburg and the taking of the Weldon R. R. and all the other minor engagements of his regiment. He was discharged with his regiment, Aug 8, 1865, by reason of the close of the war. CHARLES O. PERKINS enlisted in the fore part of 1861, in Co. E, 34th N.Y. Vol. He was in the battle of Balls Bluff, where the regiment was terribly cut to pieces. He was with his regiment until after the seven days' fight in front of Richmond when he was stricken with typhoid fever, and was sent to New York City, and was discharged from there and died in August, 1862. He is buried in the village cemetery in Smithfield. EDWARD L. PERKINS enlisted in 1862 in Co. B, 109th N.Y. Vol., and served faithfully with his regiment. In August, '62, his regiment was stationed near Baltimore guarding a railroad, when he too was stricken with typhoid fever and sent to a hospital in Baltimore where he suffered about ten days, when he succumbed to the dread disease. His remains were brought home and placed in the village cemetery beside those of his brother Charles, sleeping the sleep that knows no waking. A brother-in-law HARRISON JACKSON, served with credit in Co. G, 79th P.V. I was deeply impressed in the death of Charles, as we were about the same age, and had always lived within a mile of each other, and were boys together, and I hope when the battles of life are over, to camp with him in that celestial city where strife and war is known no more. DITON PHELPS

THE PECK BROTHERS There were families which furnished more soldiers, but there was not a more loyal and self-sacrificing than the Peck family of Smithfield. These three sons all entered the service and earned a proud name and fame for themselves. WILLIAM A. was a surgeon in the 104th P.V.; was promoted to surgeon-in-charge of Casey's division, and was then medical director of Perkins' division, 4th Army Corps, and afterward medical purveyor of the Department of Susquehanna, on Major-General Couch's staff. GEORGE S. was captain of Co. G. 57th P.V. BENJAMIN M. served with great distinction as captain of Co. B, 141st P.V., and is now president judge of the county.

THE ELY FAMILY Wilmot was not behind her sister townships in a liberal contribution of her loyal sons to aid in putting down the rebellion. Notable among her patriot families was that of Aaron Ely, which consisted of five brothers and a half-brother as follows: DANIEL ELY, the first soldier to enlist from Wilmot township, was enrolled as a private in Co. I, 6th Pa. Reserves, April 22, '61; he was wounded in the right arm at Antietam, also participated in the battles of Dranesville, Second Bull Run and South Mountain; was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Cops and discharged June 9, '64. JAMES ELY and JEFFERSON ELY were privates in Co. K, 58th P.V. RICHARD H. ELY served as a private in Co. C., 57th P. V. JOSEPH ELY was a member of the 55th Ill. Vol. GEORGE PRESTON (the half-brother) served as a private first in Co. D, 171st P. V. then in Co. K, 58th P.V. He was killed at the Chapin Farm, Oct. 2, 1864. JOHN P. GRANT, a brother-in-law of Daniel Ely, who was a member of Co. A, 141st P.V., was killed at Chancellorsville. He was the first man in his company and the second in the regiment to fall by the hand of the enemy. He was twenty-one years of age and the only son of Wm. Grant of Wilmot. He was a good soldier and never flinched when duty called him.

THE GUSTIN BROTHERS The Gustin family of Burlington was one of the most loyal and self-sacrificing in the hour of their country's need. Eliphalet Gustin was the father of six patriot sons, the youngest, a mere land, at the time of the war. The five older sons donned the blue and went to the front. These loyal brothers were: SETH P. GUSTIN, who enlisted Sept. 3, '64, in Co. C. 188th N.Y. Vol. He participated in the battles of Hatcher's Run, Weldon Raid, 2d Hatcher's Run, Attack on Fort Meigs, Charge on Sawdust Fort (Lewis Farm), Supported battery against rebel charge at Boydton Plank Road, Battle of Gravelty Run, Battle of Five Forks, was in the pursuit of Lee to Appomattox C. H., marched to Washington and participated in the "Grand Review", May 23, '65, and also that of Sherman on the following day. He was wounded by a glancing shot across the forehead. Comrade Gustin resides in Burlington township. ETHAN A. GUSTIN enlisted at the same time as his brother Seth, in Co. C, 188th N.Y. Vol. He had about the same experiences, excepting that he was not wounded, although he was at one time very sick. He died since the war. VOLNEY H. GUSTIN enlisted in Co. D, 23d Mich. Vols. He was taken prisoner while in pursuit of Mosby's guerrillas in Kentucky. He was brought to Libby prison, where he was taken sick, thence transferred to a hospital in Richmond, where he died Feb. 24, 1864. BURTON K. GUSTIN enlisted Sept. 12, '61, in Co. F, 52d P.V. He was through the Peninsular campaign under McClellan, including the battles of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Seven Day's Fight, Bottom's Bridge, White Oak Swamp, Harrison's Landing, etc. He afterwards drilled on heavy siege guns at Yorktown until the latter part of December, '62, when he went with an expedition to South Carolina against Fort Sumter and the city of Charleston. For over two years he was engaged with his regiment in the several expeditions into South Carolina, the sieges of Morris Island and the fortifications thereon, reducing Fort Sumter and bombarding Charleston. Comrade Gustin was promoted from third to first sergeant and finally to first lieutenant, Oct. 21, 1863. He received his honorable discharge by reason of expiration of term of enlistment, Jan. 27, 1865. He resides at East Smithfield. JUDGE D. GUSTIN enlisted Sept. 12, '61, as a private in Co. F, 52d P.V.; re-enlisted as a veteran, Jan. 1, '64. Like his brother, Burton, he participated in all the battles of the Peninsular campaign, then took part in the several expeditions and sieges in the vicinity of Charleston, S.C. He was killed in an assault on Fort Johnston, S.C. on July 3, 1864.

CAPTAIN JOSEPH M. HURST From Herrick township a most excellent lot of young men went to the front in the hour of her country's peril. Among these was Joseph H. Hurst, a gentleman of literary tastes and refinement. He had engaged in school teaching which he was successfully pursuing when the tocsin of war was sounded, calling him from his pleasant task to the arduous duties of soldier life. Upon the formation of the 141st regiment P. V. he was one of the first to enlist in Co. A, and upon its organization was made a sergeant. Before the close of the war his soldierly conduct by successive promotions, earned for him the captaincy of the company. He was promoted from first sergeant to first lieutenant Feb. 16, '63, and to captain, April 21, '65. At the battle of Chancellorsville he was wounded in the thigh and again wounded in the right arm at Spottsylvania. He remained in the service until the close of the war and soon after made application for a place in the regular army. Accordingly he was commissioned 1st lieutenant in the 12th U. S. Infantry, and stationed in Arizona, where he did duty for several years. He afterwards did duty at Fort Niagara and Fort Bennett and before leaving the service, a few years since on account of poor health, he was promoted to captain. Two brothers, Jas. W. Hurst and William Hurst were gallant member of the 50th P.V. William (Co. G), who lost his life, was a noble fellow. At the battle of Antietam he was acting orderly sergeant, and while thus engaged was mortally wounded and lived but a few minutes after being hit. As his comrades were bearing him off the field his last words were: "Boys, did I do my duty?" After resigning his commission in the regular army, Captain Hurst, who had never married, returned to Herrick and made his home with his brother. He was a very congenial gentleman, of broad information and had hosts of friends. He was a loyal and patriotic citizen, and a splendid soldier, who always had a warm place for his old comrades. On Saturday morning, Jan. 25, 1896, he died very suddenly of rheumatism of the heart, aged 60 years. Funeral services were held on the Tuesday following, with interment at Ballibay. A large number of his old comrades from different parts of the county were present to pay their last tribute of respect to the hero of battles, who had responded to the roll call for the last time.

A HERO OF THE KEARSARGE Heroes, like diamonds in the rough, are too many times unnoticed by the busy actors of the world, because of their modesty and uncomely dress. And how many times, as we see some roughly clad old hero, walking our streets and know the manly and patriotic heart that beats within, we are reminded of the wise saying of Ben Franklin, "Clothes do not make the man." There are many old soldiers in Bradford county, who deserve a place in history and we take pleasure in sketching them. In North Towanda resides a hardy Irishman, a little bent in figure, with light blue eyes , gray moustache and goatee, who enjoys the distinction of being the only man from Bradford county, who was one of the picked crew of 144 men who sunk the Alabama off the coast of France in June, 1864. The subject of this sketch, John Boyle, was born in Troy, N.Y., June 15, 1838. When about two years of age he came with his parents to Towanda, where he grew to manhood. For a number of years Mr. Boyle lived with M. C. Mercur. In 1858 he went on a three years' whaling voyage and was finally wrecked on the Isle of France. Having been picked up by a passing vessel, he succeeded in reaching Boston at the breaking out of the war, where in November, 1861, he enlisted in the U. S. Navy and was at first placed on the Ohio, a receiving ship, and drafted from it to the Kearsarge at the Kittery navy yard, Maine. In February, 1862, the Kearsarge left Kittery on its great mission. From about 3, 000 men, its crew of 163 men had been carefully selected before putting out to sea. With the exception of about a half dozen old gunners, the crew were all young men. The first stop of the Kearsarge after leaving Maine was at Cape Deverde Islands; thence she sailed to Cadiz, Spain, and from there to Gibraltar, where she blockaded the rebel privateer Sumter for about six weeks, when she was relieved by the Federal vessel, Chippewa. Semmes, who had commanded the Sumter, now took charge of the Alabama, the most noted of those vessels that had been built in England, manned by British sailors and were only officered and commissioned by the Confederate government. They sailed to and fro upon the track of American ships, recklessly plundering and burning or else bonding them for heavy sums. After having been constructed the Alabama was taken to the Azores where other English vessels brought her arms, ammunition, and the Confederate Captain Semmes with additional men. The Kearsarge, knowing of the purpose of the Alabama, at once started after her, hoping to cut her short in her destructive career. For nearly two years the Kearsarge pursued the Alabama, and not until she had captured over sixty of our vessels, did she bring her at bay, at Cherbourg, France. The Alabama now being cornered, sent out a challenge to the Kearsarge. This was promptly accepted and the battle took place off that harbor. Captain Winslow, of the Kearsarge, ran his vessel out to sea about six miles, then so manoeuvered that the Alabama was compelled to move round in a circular track. The Alabama opened fire, then the Kearsarge began training her guns upon the Confederate vessel with fearful effect. After 163 shots from the Kearsarge and on the seventh rotation, the Confederate vessel ran up the white flag and soon after sunk. In this historic naval battle "Jack" Boyle was a loader and stood at his gun during the entire engagement. He says that "the Kearsarge was struck forty-seven times and only three of her crew were wound all being at the same gun with myself. The wounded were Wm. Gowen of Detroit, Mich., who died; James McBeath, leg broken and John Dempsey, loss of arm. A single shot from the Kearsarge killed and wounded fourteen, a whole crew of the Alabama, and disabled one of her guns. In all the Alabama lost in killed and wounded 63 men, and about 70 prisoners were picked up by the crew of the Kearsarge." "Jack" Boyle hauled in the first man of the Confederate prisoners, and what is still more remarkable, this prisoner, whose name was Bradley, after the war lived in North Towanda and subsequently moved to Binghamton where he died. Mr. Boyle says "After the surrender Semmes got into a small boat, was covered by a tarpaulin, and conveyed to the English yacht, Deerhound, whence he made his escape." After the destruction of the Alabama, Mr. Boyle remained with the Kearsarge, visited all of the seaports of England, then went in pursuit of the privateer Florida, chasing her to the coast of South America. From here the crew was brought back to Boston in November, 1864, and discharged. Mr. Boyle, who had not been home in about ten years, then returned to Towanda, to the great surprise of his family who had thought him dead. In 1865, Mr. Boyle went to New York and again hired out to sail the high seas. He made seven trips on the Black Ball Line to Liverpool and three trips to the West Indies, and then other trips to Pensacola, Fla. For twelve years following, he traveled with Barnum, Forepaugh and other showmen, visiting every state in the Union but one, and nearly every Territory. Besides, Mr. Boyle in times of hostility has traveled among wild Indians and been inured to all kinds of hardships.

SERGT. GEORGE L. FORBES of Rome, who went out with Co. I, 141st P. V., upon its organization, was with the regiment from Fredericksburg to its muster out in May, 1865, and was in every battle and engagement in which the regiment participated. He was for some time color sergeant and in every respect a splendid soldier.

AMASA DAVID of Terrytown, enlisted in Co. I, 6th Pa. Reserves, Oct. 16, 1861, and served with that regiment until Sept. 20, '62, when he was transferred to Co. A, 8th Regt. U. S. Infantry, in which he served until Feb. 15, 1864, when he re-enlisted for three years. With the exception of four or five weeks in the hospital, he was with his regiment until the time of his discharge. He escaped without being wounded or captured, and was discharged as quartermaster sergeant at Raleigh, N. C., Feb. 25, 1867, having served 5 years and 4 months.

MORTON BERRY, who enlisted in the service at the age of about 25 years from Burlington township, was a color corporal in Co. D, 141st P. V. "He was a large robust man, and as good a soldier as ever shouldered a musket." In his report of the battle of Gettysburg Colonel Madill says "I would especially call attention to Corporal Berry who carried the colors, and did not yield them until helplessly stricken down the fourth time. Such men deserve particular notice." He died in hospital July 10th from the effects of the wounds received. For gallant service at the battle of Chancellorsville he had received the "Kearney Cross."

JACOB SHERMAN of Overton, who was a sergeant in Co. G, 28th P. V. has a record of which he may well feel proud as a soldier. He was in the service four years and one month, participated in all the battles and engagements of the regiment, never was wounded and was with his company every day, save six, when he was in the hospital. He was in the great battles of Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Chattanooga, Lookout Mountain, Ringgold, Peach Tree Creek and numerous smaller engagements, and marched with Sherman's boys to the sea. Another remarkable fact is that Sergeant Sherman, Capt. Thos. J. Hamilton and Lieut. Wm. A. McGahan were the only three men in Co. G. who escaped without being wounded, and all served exactly the same length of time.

HENRY C. ARNOLD, a blacksmith, residing at Granville Centre, went out with the New England boys and toward the close of the war was stationed at Fortress Monroe, where he was employed inside the fort as general blacksmith. It will be remembered that after the capture of "Jeff" Davis, the President of the Confederacy, he was taken to this fortress for confinement. The commandant ordered the ex-president to be put in irons and directed Mr. Arnold to make the shackles. When completed he was ordered to put them on the prisoner. To this arrangement the deposed chief strenuously objected. Two men were called to the assistance of Mr. Arnold, and the shackles put on and securely rivet to the ankles of the man who had stood at the head of the Confederacy.

Under date of Sept. 4, 1862, we find this note in the Bradford Reporter: "Jason K. Wright, Esq., of Athens, has three sons in the army, and has now gone himself as captain. William Phelps of Smithfield has five sons (this number was subsequently increased to six) in the Union Army. A. B. Templeton of Herrick has four sons in the army. Ira A. Weed of Burlington has six sons in the Union service, one of whom is lieutenant. Henry Scott of this borough has three sons in the army."

When the war clouds burst upon us in '61, there came a quick and patriotic response from all the hills and valleys of "Old Bradford," even from the mountain top of isolated Armenia. The readiness and zeal of the Armenians to serve the Union reminds one of the patriotism of the "Green Mountain Boys" in the struggle for independence. In 1860 the total voting population of Armenia was sixty-two. During the war fifty-seven men enlisted from that township. The bones of nine of these loyal defenders of the Union are bleaching on Southern soil, while two others were brought home to die. One of these, Harvey Dumond, died at Troy before reaching home. Little Armenia did her part in helping to put down the rebellion and showed a loyalty hardly equalled by any other section of the county.

During the war ten Herrick boys-Wm. Hurst, Harrison R. Beardsley, Jerre Bolles, Alonzo D. Kenney, Amos A. Gratton, Jas. Brown, Edward G. Williams, Jas. W. Hurst and Jas. Carr enlisted in the 50th P.V. Of these ten noble fellows who served their country faithfully and well, only two-James W. Hurst and James Carr-lived to come home to tell the story of their sufferings and bloodshed. Some were killed in battle, others died of disease or wounds. There was, however, one other, a transient, Joel T. Crofalt, who went out with the Herrick boys and was subsequently discharged on surgeon's certificate. We doubt if there is another locality, for the same number of men enlisted, that can show so great a loss.

The oldest man, enlisting from the county, was undoubtedly Philip Cronk of Wyalusing township, who was sworn into the service at the age of 60 years. Lorenzo D. West of Monroe enlisted at 57; Samuel Roberts of Terry at 56; and Nelson Corma of Towanda had his hair dyed, that he might become a member of the 141st P.V.

The youngest soldier from the county was Frederick M. Hicks of Rome, who in May, 1861, entered the service as a drummer-boy at the age of 13 years and 9 months. J.Andrew Wilt of Overton enlisted at the age of 14 years, 9 months and 4 days; Sevellon Travis of Monroe at 14 years, 9 months and 12 days; Samuel R. Case of Granville at 14 years, 9 months and 16 days. All four are living (1908), the youngest of whom is Travis, born Dec. 22, 1849. E. Lathan Andrews of Canton and Benjamin C. Hall of Smithfield were under 15 when they entered the service, while Daniel Bentley of Albany, Eli R. Booth of Burlington, John Ferrell of Franklin, Silas Crocker and many others were only 16 years old. It is noteworthy that the boys stood the hardships the best and excelled as soldiers. John Ferrell, who was the youngest member of Company C, 141st P. V., gives an instance how sometimes the pride of the young fighters was humiliated: "On the hard march to Gettysburg upon reaching Emmettsburg I found myself shoeless and very hungry. I went to a house in quest of food. The lady receiving me after looking me over, inquired, 'little boy, how old are you?' I said sixteen. 'You shall have something to eat, but you ought to be home with your mother.' Well, while I thought I could do the trick about as well as any of the older boys, before the close of the next day I did wish I was home in old Bradford.