Sylvania Couple Wed 50 years
January 17, 1951
Picture Caption: About 250 friends joined Mr. and Mrs. William G. Mosher [nee Carrie Packard] in celebrating their golden wedding at open house in their home in Sylvania. About 50 others telephoned that they were unable to be with them because of the slippery roads.
Mr. and Mrs. Mosher were married Jan. 17, 1901,
by the Rev. S. W. Reynolds, pastor of the Southside Baptist Church, Elmira.
They have resided for the entire 50 years in the same home, which was Mrs.
Mosher’s home from childhood.
The house was attractively decorated with floral pieces from friends and organizations. Among them were pieces from Maxwell Chapter, OES, the Past Matrons Association, Effie Smith, W. W. and Frances Beaman, the Whitlock family which included, Mr. and Mrs. Morris [Maurice] Whitlock, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Whitlock, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Hager and Miss Blanche Whitlock, the Packard family which included Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Packard, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Seeley, Mr. and Mrs. Lacelle Leggett; a group of Troy friends and a group of Sylvania friends.
Mrs. Mosher wore a corsage of yellow rose buds, a gift from her husband.
In the afternoon Mrs. Allen Bates, Elmira; Mrs. Raymond Harpester, Binghamton, and Mrs. Danna Harnard, Owego, acted as hostesses. In the evening, Mrs. Lois [Whitlock] Ryland and Mrs. Gerald Whitlock poured. They were assisted by Mrs. Earl Hager, Mrs. Morris [Maurice] Whitlock, Mrs. Joseph Whitlock and Miss Clara Austin
Among out of town guests were Mr. and Mrs. M. J. Oliver and Mr. and Mrs. Harry Turner of Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. Stewart Essenwine and Mr. and Mrs. George Wood, Towanda; Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Crittenden, Coudersport; Mr. and Mrs. Crittenden and family, Mansfield.
HAVEN-BENSON - The Haven-Benson Wedding in Columbia - On Thursday evening, December 13, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Seth Haven of Columbia, was the scene of a joyous occasion when their only daughter, Lina S., became the wife of Mr. Lewis H. Benson of Troy, Pa. The rooms were artistically decorated with laurel foliage; the color scheme being pink and green. Miss Beatrice Slocum of Coryland, presided at the piano and promptly at six o'clock the bridal party entered the parlor and took their places under an arch of laurel, where they were met by Rev. Dr. T. A. Hughes of Troy, who very impressively performed the ring ceremony in the presence of a hundred and thirty guests.Miss Nora Lieby of Columbia, acted as bride's maid and Charles Francis Haven, brother of the bride, as best man. The bride was gowned in white liberty silk and carried a shower bouquet of white hyacinths.After the ceremony a bounteous dinner was served under the direction of the famous caterer, Jennie Nelson of Troy. The bride's table was beautifully decorated with carnations and smilax; festoons of ribbon from the ceiling to the corners of the table added greatly to the effect.The bride is an accomplished and popular young lady and the groom is a young man of sterling worth and rare business qualities, and the high esteem in which they are held was made manifest in the many and beautiful presents which they received.The happy couple left 'mid a shower of rice and good wishes for an extended visit in New York.
MOSHER-McCLELLAND One of the prettiest of home weddings occurred on Wednesday evening, June 14, at "Elmshade," the residence of Mr. and Mrs. G. C. Besley of Columbia Cross Roads, the occasion being the marriage of their niece, Miss Bertha M. McClelland, to Mr. Clarence Peck Mosher of Sylvania. The house was beautifully decorated-the parlors in daisies, ferns and mountain laurel, and the dining rooms were resplendent with roses. The presence of over one hundred relatives and invited guests added to the joyousness and attractiveness of the scene. At seven o'clock the delightful strains of Lohengrin's wedding march, as rendered by Miss Nellie Andrus, announced the approach of the bridal party, who entered the parlor, passing between the two long daisy chains carried by two little flower girls, Helen Horrings of Ovid, NY, and Bessie Swayze, and took place in front of the spacious bay window. The soft light, shedding its rays over the scene, made the bridal party, with its background of lavishly-banked laurel and graceful trailing sprays of asparagus, a truly charming picture. The fair young bride was gowned in white organdy and carried white roses. Little Miss Lucille Besley, in white organdy over blue silk, with white carnations, was charming as maid-of-honor. The bridesmaids were Miss Julia Besley and Miss Gertrude Cornell, and the groomsmen Mr. James Thrall and Mr. Sidney McClelland. The solemn and impressive ceremony was performed by the Rev. A. G. Cameron, at the conclusion for which the bride and groom received the hearfelt greetings and congratulations of their many friends. An elegant wedding supper was served, and the happy pair left on the north-bound train at 9 p.m. for a short trip. Upon their return they will reside at Sylvania. The large number of beautiful and useful gifts presented them is another attest of the esteem in which these two young people are held.
|SMITH - BESLEY Fiftieth Anniversary
Mr., Mrs. Besley To Be Honored on 50th Anniversary
An open house honoring the 50th wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs.
Donald V. Besley of Columbia Cross Roads is planned for Sunday, July 9,
from 2 to 5 p.m. at the Columbia Cross Roads Methodist Church. Hosting
the affair will be their children, Mrs. George (Phyllis Jean) Sutton of
Roseland, N.J. and Lt. Colonel Richard D. Besley of Norfolk, Va.
SMITH - TAYLOR - Their Golden Wedding
October 26, 1856
October 26, 1906
A sum in arithmetic, including the four ground rules. We have not time to amplify, but deducting the earlier from the later date we have 50 – the wedded life of Dr. E. G. Tracey and Juliet R. Smith of Sylvania, Bradford Co., Pa. A golden wedding rarely comes these days. “Almost” is oftener attained. So when the years rolled around, and the bell struck fifty, the many friends of this notable pair met to do them honor in the “Homestead on the Hillside,” where Rev. David Ferris of the Methodist Episcopal church, had performed the marriage ceremony in 1856. It was the time of the monthly church sociable, which was in every respect a success. The house was tastefully decorated by the young people with autumn foliage the Artist Divine had gaily tinted for the day so perfect in sunshine. Festoons of delicate ground pine and branches of evergreen hung lovingly about the pictures, and the dear dead faces that looked from the walls, whose spirits we believe are always with us. Yellow chrysanthemums and primroses with fragrant carnations, the gifts of friends, were in pretty contrast with potted plants and the gay sumac.The older friends were first served the “wonderful supper,” than which no other church ever excelled, if it they equaled. The program was full of good things. A poem from one who first saw the Armenian hills in 1851, and met this branch of the Smith family. Dr. Barker of Troy, followed with the reading of “Dr. O’Finnigan,” very ably rendered, and as perfect a Dr. Tracey as if the kodak had been snapped upon his own dear self. Then came a song of the olden time, “I Stand On Mem’ry’s Golden Shore,” exquisitely sung by Alice STRAIGHT Bradford and Florence BURRITT Card, Mrs. Ira Parsons read an article written by Dr. Thomas Gray when the silver anniversary was commemorated. The bridegroom of a half century then came to the front visibly affected yet self-possessed as he greeted his friends and told of the years that lay behind him. The number that he found in the borough when he came was 263, of whom by 17 remain, calling each by name. He told how he had gone in and out among them seeking their good, and only that; how he left Sylvania, spending 28 years in Troy, always looking forward to the time when he should return to spend his sunset in the place where he found and won his sunny bride, and there he would be laid with the people he called HIS when this earthly life is over.When he was seated, Mr. Cameron arose, congratulating the venerable couple, they had been helps not hindrances to each other. It was not flattery when the speaker said, no night was ever so dark, no storm so fierce, no cold or heat so great but this doctor heeded the call to go or come for humanity’s sweet sake; the poor had not been neglected nor the rich catered to. Wealth might have been his, perchance had he been selfish. Skillful as a practitioner, wise as a councilor, helpful as a neighbor, genial as a friend, his keen sense of humor has carried him through difficulties and burdens under which others would have fainted. Dr. Tracey has been alive to every interest in the betterment of the church and community, and has not turned away, as many another, when the call for help has come.Several tableaux varied the monotony and helped make things lively. Old hats did service on the heads of Mr. Watkins and the Doctor, looking ancient enough for Noah’s time. The wedding gloves, white kids, were on exhibition, one-button affairs, greatly in contrast to those of 1906. And there was the collar on the neck of Mrs. Tracey, which she wore that Sabbath morning in 1856. Mabel Gray donned a green silk gown made with bertha and flowing sleeves, trimmed with fringe, quaint enough, sure, one of the bride’s trousseau. Among the guests from out of town were, Mr. E. C. Tracy of Waverly, a nephew of Dr. Tracey, and Miss Tuttle of Rochester, N. Y., a cousin of Mrs. Tracy. The Guest of Honor.
Stephanie Marie Strykowski of Elmira, NY and Ian Michael Wood of Columbia Crossroads, PA will be married December 17, 2005 at the Maranatha Bible Church at 11 AM by Rev. Daniel Miller and Rev. John Hickock. The bride-elect is the daughter of Joseph Strykowski and Nancy Strykowski both of Elmira and the granddaughter of Betty Davis and Shirley Strykowski, both of Wellsboro, PA. Stephanie is a 2002 graduate of Southside High School, a 2004 graduate of Corning Community College and will graduate in 2005 PSI CHI with a Bachelor of Science majoring in Psychology from Elmira College. She is planning on furthering her education in a combined Masters and Psy D program for Clinical Psychology specializing in children and mental health. The groom-elect is the son of James and Judith Wood of Columbia Crossroads, PA and the grandson of James Wood Sr. and Mary Wood of New Jersey. Ian is a 1997 graduate from Palmyra High School, PA and a 2002 graduate of Temple University of Architecture. After a reception at the National Warplane Museum, the couple will reside in Elmira, NY.
TAYLOR--CARD - The Taylor - Card Nuptials 1906 - "Hedge Rowe Farm" the home of Mr. and Mrs. George F. Taylor, was the scene of a pretty wedding Tuesday afternoon, June 19th. The contracting parties were their only daughter, Clara Bessie, and Mr. Walter Henry Card of Elmira, NY. Among the hundred guests from Burlington, Troy and East Troy, Sylvania, Sullivan, Canton, Elmira, New York City and Galeton, Pa. were representatives of many well-known families. The house was prettily decorated. A rope of ground pine entwined the balustrade in the hall, the mantel was banked and white roses studden an arch of verdure supporting a wedding bell of white beneath which the ceremony was impressively performed by the bride's pastor, the Rev. Edward P. Morse, of the First Presbyterian church, following Shelley's Love Song by Mr. Wilson Weigester and the wedding march by Miss Amelia Lamkin. The bride was given away by her father. In attendance on the bridal couple were Miss Caroline Wagner, maid of honor, Misses Ella A. Maynard and Alice Colony, Mr. Maynard Bradford, best man, Messrs. George Case and Amasa Maynard with little Pauline Card and George Burritt Taylor as flower bearers. The bride's gown was cream silk trimmed with chiffon and applique. She carried dark red roses. Her going away gown was a pretty shade of gray taffeta. The bride's gift to her attendants were unique souvenir spoons and to the flower bearers pretty gold rings. The bride received many hansome tokens of the esteem in which she is universally held. Congratulations and felicitations over, a five-course dinner was daintily served under the direction of Cateress Jennie Nelson. The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Homer B. Card, prominent residents of Sullivan, Tioga County. He is prominent in Odd Fellows' circles, having been district deputy grand master. Mrs. and Mrs. Card left on the 4:25 Northern Central train north for New York, Philadelphia and Atlantic City. Among the guests from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. Randolph P. Hill, Misses Anna Laura and L. Bessie Hill, Mr. Harry H. Hill, Miss Brink and Miss Cummings, Elmira; Mr. and Mrs. Sherman H. Hill, New York; Mrs. D. H. Lamb, Galeton; Dr. and Mrs. Manley, Mr. and Mrs. J. O. Whitman, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Greenough, Mrs. Sarah Packard, Canton.
|TEARS - JUDSON Fiftieth Anniversary
Judsons to Be Feted On Golden Anniversary
Mr. and Mrs. James Judson of Columbia Cross Roads will be honored at
a reception observing 50th wedding anniversary. The affair hosted
by their family is planned for Sunday, June 25  from 2 to 5 p.m.
in the social rooms of the Columbia Cross Roads Methodist Church.
Olive Tears and Mr. Judson were united in marriage on June 21, 1922 at
the Presbyterian Manse in Elmira, N.Y. by the Rev. R. Levi Williams.
The couple has two children, Mrs. Joseph (Ellen) Foust of Granville Summit
and Wendell Judson of Columbia Cross Roads. There are eight grandchildren
and one great grandchild. Friends and relatives are invited to attend the
open house. It is request that gifts please be omitted.
MISS JONES BECOMES BRIDE IN PRETTY CHURCH WEDDING
The Community Church of Columbia Cross Roads, was the scene of a very pretty wedding Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock when Miss Janet Eloise Jones, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry C. Jones, became the bride of Mr. Jay B. Westcott, son of Mr. and Mrs. S. H. Wescott, Upsilanti, Michigan. Rev. Paul Brown performed the ceremony.
The altar of the church was decorated with a background of evergreen against which were placed large bouquets of peach and yellow gladioli.
The bride, given in marriage by her father, was attired in a princess gown of white satin en train and wore a long veil of tulle. She carried a bridal bouquet of Madonna lilies.
Mrs. Kenneth Beachley, of State College, sister of the bride, was matron of honor. She wore an apricot lace redingote over taffeta and carried a bouquet of delphinium. Miss Laura Bohlayer, of Canton, and Miss Marjorie Mahood, Troy acted as bridesmaids. Miss Bohlayer wore an orchid net redingote over taffeta. Miss Mahood wore turquoise net over taffeta. Both carried bouquets of Talisman roses.
Miss Anna Mae Peckham, Orwell, tiny cousin of the bride, was a most charming flower girl. Her floor-length dress was of yellow organdie with a blue sash. She carried a tiny old-fashioned bouquet. Master Danny Peckham, Troy, was ring bearer. The mother of the bride was dressed in powder blue silk lace and wore a corsage of roses.
Mr. Bertrand McLaughlin, Jackson, Michigan, served as best man. Mr. Raymond Haviland, Detroit, Michigan, and Mr. Kenneth Beachley, State College, were the ushers.
Music before the ceremony was furnished by Miss Beatrice McNitt, Milroy, Pa. at the piano, and by Donald H. Ruth, Elmira, who sang “O Promise Me” and “Ich liebe dich” by Grieg.
A reception for the immediate family was held at the home of the bride following the ceremony. The couple left for a week’s trip through Northern New York, parts of Canada and Michigan. The bride’s traveling costume was of navy wool crepe with navy accessories.
Miss Jones was graduated in music from Mansfield State Teachers college, May, 1937.
Mr. Westcott is a graduate of the Michigan State Normal College and the University of Michigan. He has also done graduate work in the University of Nancy, Nancy, France, and is now working on his Ph. D degree at Harvard University. The couple will make their home in Cambridge, Mass.
MISS CARD BECOMES BRIDE IN PRETTY SPRING WEDDING
Before a bank of flowers and ferns in the home of her parent, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Card, Sylvania, Miss F. Lucille Card became the bride of Jesse Sumner, East Smithfield, at eight last evening. Rev. Montague White officiated and the wedding party included Mr. Bird Sumner, Athens, as groomsman, Mrs. Pauline Brace, Springfield, as bridesmaid., little Miss Marilyn Drake and Master Harry Card carrying the ribbon, and little Miss Jane Brace, who carried the ring—concealed in a white lily. The bride was charming in white crepe and carried a bouquet of white lilies and double tulips. The bridesmaid wore blue crepe and carried a bouquet of tulips and Canterbury bells. Mrs. Victor Ellenberger, Troy, played and Miss Evelyn Kresge sang preceding the ceremony. A buffet supper was served to seventy-five guests, the tables being decorated with narcissus and daffodils. They left during the evening for a short honeymoon to Harrisburg and Hershey and will be at home at the home of the groom near East Smithfield. The bride is a graduate of Troy High School and Mansfield State Teachers College. She taught the Morgan School, Armenia, this past school year. The groom is a prosperous farmer and the newly-weds have the best wishes of a host of friends in the Troy Community and East Smithfield. The gifts included a candle wick bedspread, electrical appliances, glassware, silverware, and much fine linen.
PARMENTER-BALLARD WEDDING PRETTY CHURCH AFFAIR
In the presence of one hundred and twenty-five relatives and friends in the Columbia Cross Roads Community Church, Miss Marian Parmenter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Brenton J. Parmenter, Columbia Cross roads, became the bride of Leon Ballard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin L. Ballard, East Troy, at 2 o’clock yesterday afternoon. The ceremony was performed by L. F. Basford, a former pastor, assisted by Rev. Paul M. Brown. The bride, who was given in marriage by her father, wore a white lace dress with veil and carried a bouquet of white snapdragons. The maid of honor, Miss Lenore Morrow, Loysville, Pa. was dressed in blue organdie, leghorn hat with peach trim. The bridesmaids, Misses Alice Beal, East Troy, Jean Russell, East Smithfield, Miriam Terry, Brooklyn, Pa., and Miriam Brown, Newark, N.Y.—wore peach organdie dresses and leghorn hats with blue trim. Their bouquets were roses and ferns, tied with silver ribbon. Isaac Slingerland, Troy, was best man and Gerald Vickery and Maxwell Van Veghten, Columbia Cross Roads were ushers. Miss Harriett Brown, Columbia Cross Roads, delighted with several musical selections and during the ceremony played “O Promise Me.”
Under the capable supervision of Mrs. Roy Kennedy, the church was very beautiful with baskets of blue delphinium, white roses, baby’s breath and ferns. The bride’s gift to her maid of honor was a gold bracelet and, to the bridesmaids and pianist, she gave vanity cases.The bride’s mother, Mrs. Parmenter, wore navy chiffon with red hat and Mrs. Ballard, the groom’s mother, black and white chiffon with black hat. Following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride. Mrs. Ballard is a graduate of Troy High School, class of 1931 and Mansfield State Teachers College class of 1936. For the past year, she has been a teacher in the East Smithfield school. Mr. Ballard is a successful farmer in the Pisgah section, being associated with his father. Upon their return from a wedding trip Mr. and Mrs. Ballard will reside with the groom’s parents, Pisgah. (handwritten on article 1937)
MISS GERNERT, MR. HAVENS WED IN PRETTY HOME CEREMONY
The marriage of Miss Lillian Louise Gernert, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Spencer S. Gernert, Columbia Cross Roads, and Thomas Maurice Havens, son of the late Mr. Frederick Havens, Troy, took place Saturday, July 31st, at four o’clock at the home of the bride’s parents. (handwritten on article 1937)