|Pages 1-20||PP 21-43||PP 44-63||PP 63-82||PP 83-105||PP 106-130||PP 131-153||PP 153-170||PP 171-189|
Dan Elwell, a native of Dutchess county, N.Y., born April 17, 1774, located at Milltown in 1798. He was a carpenter and builder by occupation, being an expert mechanic. Many of the old houses in Athens, yet standing, were erected by him. He married Nancy, daughter of Dr. Amos Prentice, and spent his last days with a daughter at Van Etten, N.Y., where he died April 19, 1868, aged 94 years, and having been seventy-two years a mason. Mr. and Mrs. Elwell were the parents of nine children, John, Nancy, Prentice, William, Evert, King, Edward, Phoebe and Julia. Two, William and Edward, became noted men and Judges.
Hon. William Elwell, son of Dan and Nancy Elwell, was born October 9, 1808 at Milltown. He received a good academic education and taught school several years. He also engaged as a civil engineer and worked with his father at carpentering. In 1830 he began reading law and completed his studies with Judge Williston in February, 1833. Immediately upon his admission to the Bar, his preceptor took him into partnership and the young man soon proved himself worthy of the honor conferred. While the senior member of the firm remained in Athens, young Elwell came to Towanda and opened an office. His brilliant intellect combined with gracious manners and magnificent presence, soon won for him clients and the highest social position. He was not as gifted in oratory as Wilmot, but his thorough knowledge of the law and tact in the presentation of a case, enabled him to talk with most convincing effect to "the judge and the jury." His perfect candor and transparent honesty were recognized and appreciated by the public.
Early in his career, Mr. Elwell took an active interest in politics, being at all times a true friend and staunch advocate of Democracy. In 1841 he was elected to the lower branch of the State legislature and re-elected to the same office in 1842. It was while he was serving in this capacity that he accomplished the abolishment of the Pennsylvania law imposing imprisonment for debt. This happened seventy years ago and the authorship of this righteous and beneficent enactment shed a glory on the name of William Elwell during the remainder of his life, and will continue to honor his memory.
Mr. Elwell continued to reside in Towanda until 1863, rounding out a full thirty years of successful practice and honorable citizenship, during which time he had contributed his full share toward the material prosperity and moral upbuilding of the town. Genuine sorrow was expressed by all the good people of Towanda, when it was announced that Mr. Elwell had accepted a unanimous election to the
bench in the district comprising the counties of Columbia, Wyoming and Sullivan, and decided to remove his family from Towanda and take up his residence in Bloomsburg.
A public banquet was tendered him and all the prominent citizens attended to bid adieu and wish the guest of honor God-speed.
Judge Elwell was three times elected (1862, '72 and '82) in the Columbia district without opposition, and very early in his judicial career his distinguished abilities and sound legal learning and judgment made him so conspicuous that his services in important and intricate cases were in demand in all the neighboring counties; not only that but in many instances, cases were certified to Columbia in order that they might be tried before him. Having reached four score years and his hearing becoming somewhat impaired, Judge Elwell decided to lay aside his judicial ermine and resigned his seat. Judge Elwell was twice married. His first wife was Miss Celemana Shaw and his second, Mary L. Thayer. He passed away peacefully at his home in Bloomsburg, October 15, 1895, leaving a wife and six children, William, Celemana (Mrs. P. H. Smith), Ephraim W., George E., Mary L. (Mrs. N. U. Funk) and Prof. Charles P. Elwell. His remains rest in Riverside cemetery, Towanda.
Edward Elwell read law with H. W. Patrick and concluded his studies with his brother, William Elwell, being admitted to practice in the courts of Bradford county May 12, 1840. He married Miss Ellen M., daughter of Russell Fowler of Monroe and practiced for a time at Monroeton and Towanda. Removing to Wisconsin he was elected a county judge. He also served as postmaster of his town.
Stephen Tuttle located at Athens in 1798. He opened a public house the same year, and engaged in mercantile pursuits. "He was a social, intelligent business man and his wife esteemed as a noble and Godly woman." After some years they removed to Elmira where they spent the remainder of their days in affluence.
George Welles, a native of Glastonbury, Conn., born in 1756, was a son of John, fourth in descent from Gov. Thomas Welles, the original immigrant of their line who came from England about 1636. He was a man of superior ability and a graduate of Yale college. In 1798 he located at Athens, as agent for and owner of Carroll lands in partnership with Richard Caton and his brother, Ashbel Welles. The next year he brought his family from Connecticut, and became rich in the acquisition of valuable lands. He died of fever at Tioga Point in 1813. Mr. Welles had married Prudence Talcott, their children being
Henry, Susan (Mrs. John Hollenback, Owego), Charles F., James M. (died 1817, aged 22) and Mary (Mrs. William Pompelly, Owego).
Henry Welles, the eldest son of George Welles, was a gentleman attractive in manners and popular among the people. He was elected state representative in 1809 and again in 1813 and '14. In 1815 he was chosen state senator for a term of four years. He became a favorite with Governor Snyder who appointed him one of his aides with the rank of general, a title by which he was generally known. "His business capacities were remarkable and under his personal supervision his grounds brought forth bountifully and his barns were filled with plenty." Wells township was so named in his honor. Mr. Welles married, first, a Miss Patrick, who died soon after their marriage in 1809. February 13, 1812 he married Sarah, daughter of John and Wealthy Ann (Gore) Spalding of Sheshequin. He died suddenly December 22, 1833, aged 53 years. Mrs. Welles, born August 26, 1794, died December 29, 1877. Their children who married as follows were George to Eliza Saltmarsh; James to Mary Wells of Aurora; Henry S. to Amelia Beardsley of Auburn; Susan and Frances.
Charles Fisher Welles, the second son of George Welles, was born November 5, 1789 at Glastonbury, Conn. During his boyhood he developed a taste for poetical study and composition. He took up the study of law but a natural diffidence prevented him from pursuing that profession. In 1812, when in his 23rd year, he was appointed by Governor Snyder the first prothonotary and clerk of the several courts of Bradford county. These offices he held six years, and the records made by him are models in neatness, form and accuracy. He was a man of varied and extensive reading and is said to have known more of the history of the county, its resources and men, than any other man of his day. He wielded a busy pen and contributed for the press some of the best poetic productions. "His political articles were marked by a breadth of view and urged with a cogency of reasoning that carried conviction to the mind of the reader, while the corrupt politician received scathing rebuke from his trenchant pen." In 1822 he removed from Towanda to Wyalusing where he engaged in farming and real estate. As a man of business he was punctual, ready, accurate, of unquestioned integrity, possessing a generous heart and a kindly feeling for the distressed. He kept up his interest in public matters and until within the last year of his life he never missed a term of court at Towanda. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Mr. Welles was an ardent patriot and in every way encouraged its successful prosecution. His death occurred September 23, 1866 from the effects of a fall from a
carriage. In 1816 Mr. Welles had married Ellen J., daughter of Judge
Matthias Hollenback. Their children were Charles F., Sarah, Matthias H.,
Jane M. (Mrs. George M. Bixby), George H., Henry H., Raymond M., John W.
(changed to John Welles Hollenback), William and Edward.
William Saltmarsh, who had served as a soldier in the colonial war, was a native of Stockbridge, Mass. He married, December 9, 1760, Elizabeth Patterson. They had three children, John, Elijah and a daughter. Their son, John, moved to Athens, 1801 and they accompanied him. Both were earnest Christians and Mrs. Saltmarsh a woman greatly beloved. The former died January 13, 1811, aged 77 years and his wife, April 1, 1816. Both lie in the old burying ground at Athens.
John Saltmarsh, son of William and Elizabeth (Patterson) Saltmarsh, came to Athens in 1801 from Fairfield county, Conn. He was a graduate of Yale college, an intelligent and useful citizen. In addition to being a merchant and taverner, he was justice of the peace and general lawyer for the settlement. The mansion built by him in Athens is still standing. He died November 9, 1815, aged 53 years, greatly lamented. Mr. Saltmarsh had married Rhoda Beach of Trumbull, Conn., who died July 4, 1847, aged 80 years. They had two sons and a daughter:
D'Alanson, born September 17, 1796, married Esther White; engaged many years, establishing post-routes under the government in Georgia and Texas; children, who married as follows: Caroline to Dr. John Fretwill; Eliza to George H. Welles; Orlando to Mary Redington.
Orlando, born July 8, 1798, married Sarah Goodrich; was associated with his brother in establishing post-routes in the South and died there, 1852; children were John, Goodrich and Louise (Mrs. Walter Comstock).
Eliza, born May 20, 1802, married William H. Overton; was the
mother of eight children, one being the late D'Alanson Overton of Towanda.
Sartile Holden, born May 13, 1750 at Groton, Massachusetts, was one of the first patriots of the Revolutionary war, serving from the first call to arms in different commands during the greater part of the struggle. He fought at Bunker Hill and Stillwater. In 1778 he married Hannah Cook of Groton and after the war removed to Woodbury, Vt. Mr. Holden pursued an absconding debtor into the state of New York and by taking lumber and staves secured his debt. These he
attempted to run down the Susquehanna, but his raft lodged on Cole's island. He then removed the lumber to shore and worked up his staves into barrels. While engaged in this job he became acquainted with the country and purchased a tract of land at Macedonia, moving his family thereto in 1802. Here he continued to reside and make improvements until the close of his life. In his old age he was given a pension by the government. He died in April 1850, aged 100 years. His wife died December 28, 1840, aged 83 years. Their children were:
Beulah Bancroft, born August 9, 1781, married Charles Warren, died February, 1823 at LeRoy, N.Y.
Julius Sawtell, born December 13, 1783, never married; was a Seven Day Baptist; died December 8, 1852 at Macedonia.
Arthuesa, born August 7, 1787, married Darius Davis, died at Saratoga, N.Y.
Hannibal Carthage, born May 20, 1789, returned to Vermont and died February 10, 1859 at Springfield.
Lydia Prescott, born January 24, 1791 married John W. Sweet, died November 11, 1852 at Macedonia.
Octavius Augustus, born July 15, 1793, never married. He was a gentleman of excellent education. For a time he was connected with the Bradford Gazette, the first paper published in the county, and afterwards edited and published the Washingtonian, a Federal organ. His last years were spent on his farm at Macedonia, where he died October 6, 1874.
Gustavius Adolphus, born June 15, 1796, married Catherine Howie
and continued to reside at Macedonia until the time of his death, September
14, 1850; they had two children, George and Jane (Mrs. Moses Benjamin).
Nathaniel Hovey, who married Lucinda, daughter of Capt. Benjamin Clark, located at Ulster in 1802. He subsequently moved to Batavia, N.Y., enlisted in the War of 1812, was sergeant of a company and died near Sackett's Harbor in 1814. He left two sons, Simmons C. and William M. and one daughter, Hannah (Mrs. Hiram Horton).
Simmons C., born January 8, 1807, was one of Ulster's best and most useful citizens. He tenderly cared for his grandparents, Clark, in their closing years and occupied the estate after their decease. He was a promoter in all things, tending for the public good, a life-long member of the Methodist church and many years a local preacher. He was deeply interested in matters of education and served 25 years as school director and collector of taxes. He also held other offices of trust and in every instance served the people faithfully and well. Mr.
Hovey married Eleanor Boyce of Sheshequin. They had no children. He died November 19, 1886.
William M. died October 4, 1850 at Ulster, aged 36 years, 7 mos. and 14 days.
Solomon Morse, Samuel Kellogg and Nathan Fellows with some of their children, February 11, 1801 were duly organized as a Congregational church at Poultney, Vermont. They immediately started for the "far west," arriving the same month in Smithfield where they had purchased homes under Connecticut title. Mr. Morse settled at Smithfield Center where in 1808 he built the first grist-mill in the town. His daughter, Jemima Almira, baptized May 16, 1801, was the first person upon whom this holy ordinance was administered in Smithfield. Mr. Morse was a patriot of the Revolution and his record of service is contained in his affidavit of September 11, 1820, asking for a pension as follows: "That he the said Solomon Morse, aged 71 years, residing in Troy, doth on his oath declare that he served in the Revolutionary War, as follows: that in March, 1776 he enlisted in Col. Patterson's regiment of the Massachusetts line, where he served about 10 months and was then discharged; that he previously served about 5 months in Colonel Hinman's regiment of the Connecticut line; that his family consists of himself, unable to labor by reason of age and infirmities, and his wife, Jemima, aged 65 years." Mr. Morse spent the last years of his life with his son in Troy township where both he and his wife died. They had two sons, Solomon and Benoni and two daughters. Both the daughters married and went West.
Solomon, Jr. married, December 11, 1806, Fanny, daughter of Michael
Bird and settled in Troy township. They had two children; Betsey and Lorenzo
B. Mr. Morse married for his 2nd wife, Elizabeth ____ and had children,
Chauncey, Orrin D., Alonzo, Horace, Charles S., Adaline (Mrs. Samuel Owen)
and Laura (Mrs. Adolphus D. Spalding). He died in 1858.
Samuel Kellogg, a mechanic by occupation who had fought for American Independence, removed with his family from Poultney, Vermont to Smithfield in 1801. His journey was by the way of Otsego lake where he launched a raft and floated down the Susquehanna, making an exceedingly perilous passage--the whole party being several times submerged in making the transit of the rapids. After settling in Smithfield, he was given employment by Josiah Crocker in his fulling mill at Milltown. He would leave his family on Monday morning and return again on Saturday evening, bringing with him a week's supply
of corn meal upon his back. On one occasion a man on horseback who represented himself as being from Springfield chanced to come his way. Mr. Kellogg asked the stranger's kindness in transporting to his family a small grist as he would pass their home on his return to Springfield. This the stranger readily consented to do. When Mr. Kellogg returned to his family on Saturday evening he found them out of provisions and that the "Springfield man" had "accidentally" forgotten to carry out his promise. Mr. Kellogg was accordingly required to go back to Milltown that night to supply the wants of a starving family. His night's journey was indeed a gloomy one--his road was only a path through an unbroken wilderness and the wolves were howling on all sides. He obtained his grist, shouldered it and started for home which he reached as the sun was climbing the eastern hill tops. This is only an example of the many severe hardships to which he was subjected in his struggle for a livelihood in the wilderness.
Mr. Kellogg was something of an inventive genius. He invented a machine for shearing cloth which revolutionized the manufacture of woolen goods but brought no pecuniary benefit to the inventor. He was one of the founders of the East Smithfield Congregational church and its first moderator. He was a gentleman of deep piety and was generally known as "Deacon Kellogg." "He was a man of good sense, well-educated for the times, skillful in the use of tools and an excellent mathematician." Mr. Kellogg was personally acquainted with General Washington and was present at his inauguration as President, 1789, in New York. He frequently repeated the ode which Washington selected for that occasion. It was from Sir Isaac Watts, the first stanza of which is:
"Mercy and judgment are my song:
And since they both to Thee belong,
My gracious God, my righteous King
To Thee my songs and vows I bring."
Mr. Kellogg's military record is given in his affidavit of February 6, 1821, asking for the benefits of a pension, as follows: "That he the said Samuel Kellogg in his 66th year, doth on his oath declare that he served in the Revolutionary War as a private in the company commanded by Capt. Titus Watson of Colonel Burril's regiment of the Connecticut line, enlisting a short time previous to the 20th of March, 1776 under Lieut. John Riley and serving about one year; that his family consists of himself, unable to labor, his wife, Ruth, aged 54 years, enjoying a tolerable degree of health, and son, Leverett, in his 34th year, unable to labor, being subject to fits." He died March 9, 1839 in Smithfield in his 84th year. Mr. Kellogg had married 1st
Sarah Rogers, their children being Clarissa (Mrs. Samuel Bassett), Susanna (Mrs. Butson), Anna (Mrs. Phineas Pierce, Jr.), Cynthia (Mrs. Ormell Tracy), Timothy C. married Diana Aldrich, Alvira (Mrs. Asahel Tracy), Leverett died unmarried. Mr. Kellogg married for his 2nd wife, Ruth, widow of Phineas Pierce.
Michael Bird, son of James and Deborah (van Presbury) Bird, was born January 18, 1769 in Roxbury, Mass. "In boyhood he was apprenticed to a barber and gave seven years' time and work to learn that trade, which then required special skill and gave the artist high social rank as well as good compensation. Becoming proficient in the art, he was often called to the house of John Adams and other prominent families to dress the hair of both men and women and to braid their cues for balls and receptions. He often dressed the hair of John Quincy Adams. May 20, 1790 he married in Boston, Betsy Lewis of Billerica, Mass. Between 1792 and '97 they removed to Rutland, Vt. Cues had gone suddenly out of fashion, half his trade as barber was gone, and his vigorous manhood longed for a wider sphere of action, hence his removal from Boston."
While living in Rutland, he purchased 160 acres of land in Smithfield under Connecticut title, which subsequently proved worthless. In 1800 he visited his new purchase, cut down some trees, built a log house and made some improvements. He returned to Vermont in the fall and in March, 1801, with his wife and four children, came to his new home in Smithfield. 'To obtain food for his family Mr. Bird would walk to Milltown and work until he had earned a bag of corn meal, then brought it home upon his shoulders. At one time he bought three bushels of corn at Milltown for nine days' work and paid 50 cents for grinding it and 50 cents more for getting it home. Assisted by his wife and older children, he often spent his evenings making brooms. When he had as many of these as he could carry on his back, he would take them to Tioga Point and exchange them for family food and necessaries, bringing the articles home on his back. After a few years, as the land was cleared to raise a few acres of winter wheat, a cow, sheep, hogs and fowls could be kept and the family lived in comparative comfort. Michael Bird and his wife were Christian people. He loved his Bible and reared the family altar in his home. He and his wife became members of the Congregational church in 1813 and he was for many years a deacon."
The farm settled by Mr. Bird has ever since been in the Bird name, the present owner being George N. Bird, a great grandson.
Betsey, wife of Michael Bird, born July 8, 1772, died April 8, 1823. Their children were Fanny, John, Eliza, Abigail, Harry Lewis and Laura. Mr. Bird married, November 20, 1823, for his second wife, Mrs. Amy Knapp of Elmira. They had no children. He died June 23, 1851 in his 83rd year.
Fanny, born May 7, 1791, married Solomon Morse, died January 31, 1811 in Troy; children, Betsy and Lorenzo B.
John, born May 11, 1792, married May 12, 1814, Mary Miller Harkness, widow of Jesse Sumner, died April 11, 1875 in Smithfield; his wife, born January 7, 1791, died June 15, 1878. Their children who married as follows were: Phebe; Luzina to Enos Califf; Lark to Nancy L. Niles; Orpheus King to Anna Gerould; Harry Lewis died in California, 1850; Eliza to Alford Brace; Laura to James Bosworth; Jane to John Pease; John to Martha J. Phelps; Mary.
Eliza Abigail, born September 12, 1797, married, November 25, 1816, Ziba Gerould, died March 4, 1886; children, Sophia (Mrs. Lewis Wood), Louisa (Mrs. Jesse Sumner), Betsey (Mrs. Jesse Bullock), Lewis B., Phebe (Mrs. T. J. Weed), Henry M., Clayton, Jane Eliza (Mrs. Diton Phelps).
Harry Lewis, born September 30, 1800, married, October 4, 1829, Eliza Martin, died March 19, 1878; children, Harriet L. (Mrs. Brainerd Bowen), Henry L., Lydia E. (Mrs. Jasper M. Spafford), James W., Harlan P. (has attained distinction in public life as state senator, etc. in Wisconsin), Mary S., Orpheus B., Charles M., Albert Z., John S. and Kate (Mrs. James Carnahan).
Laura, born May 4, 1808, married January 26, 1826, Dr. Daniel Andrus, died August 24, 1861; children, Fanny O. (Mrs. Milton Bailey), Mary L. (Mrs. Seldon Tracy), Justin P., Wayland B., Julian L. and Louman B.; Elland and Wellner L. died in early childhood.
Amos Northrup was a son of Capt. Jonathan Northrup of English descent and was born September 7, 1757 at Reading, Fairfield county, Conn. On February 15, 1776, he enlisted under Captain Smith and Colonel Sullivan at Newtown, Fairfield county, Conn.; was taken prisoner June 1, 1776 and released the following November; re-enlisted August 1, 1777 and was made a 1st Lieutenant under Col. Samuel Whiting, General Spencer and Moster. Mr. Northrup was educated for the ministry at Yale college but became a teacher. After the war he removed to Fishkill, N.Y. and afterwards in 1801 to Pike township, where he died November 18, 1834. He was married three times. His first wife was a daughter of Zopher Platt and his last was Susan Bowman, whom he married in 1818. One of his daughters, Elizabeth, married Perley H. Buck.
John Hollenback, son of George and Hannah (Barton) Hollenback, was born October 14, 1775 at Martinsburg, West Va. His great grandfather, George Hollenback, came from Germany previous to 1720 and settled in Montgomery county, Pa. In 1796 John went to Wilkes-Barre to live with his uncle, Colonel Hollenback, afterwards better known as Judge Matthias Hollenback. The first winter he was sent to Tioga Point with two sled loads of goods to replenish his uncle's store. Part of the way they could follow the Indian paths and the rest of the way they went on the river ice. He worked some on his uncle's farm, boated goods on the river and part of the time went to school. In 1798 he enlisted in the army under Capt. Samuel Bowman and was assigned to enlisting men for service in the prospective war with France. This duty performed and being strong, fearless and resolute, he was sent South to hunt and arrest deserters. His company was disbanded in 1800 and for a short time he engaged in the tanning and distillery business with his cousin (also John Hollenback) at Mill Creek.
The following spring his uncle made him an offer of goods to keep store at Wyalusing. On the 6th of March, 1801, he left Wilkes-Barre with 2400 pounds of merchandise loaded on a big "fish" canoe. It took him four days to push up to Wyalusing. He commenced keeping his store in the house that had been occupied by Guy Wells, which stood on the main road about 60 rods below the cemetery. He kept bachelor's hall and boarded himself until January 15, 1803 when he married Rebecca, the youngest daughter of Edward and Mary (Stalford) Dougherty, who had moved from Valley Forge. Mr. Hollenback's goods were brought from Philadelphia in wagons to Middletown, Dauphin county thence pushed up the river in boats to Wyalusing, more than 200 miles. "Previous to his coming, Peter Stevens had kept a few goods in his house, where the George H. Welles barn now stands; Major Gaylord handled a few leading articles and Joseph Ingham had kept a small store at Sugar Run, but none of them had ever had so large an assortment as Hollenback unloaded from his boats." He rafted the first raft ever run out of Wyalusing creek from Town's mill.
In 1801 he presided over a memorable celebration of the 4th of July at Wyalusing. Jonas Ingham made an address on "Disputed Land Titles," in which he defended the claims of the Connecticut settlers and denounced with great severity the adverse legislation of Pennsylvania; Uriah Terry composed an ode on the death of Washington, which was sung by Polly Sill; a huge bear, killed that morning
and roasted, provided meat for the entertainment. In 1821 Mr. Hollenback built a grist-mill, where Welles's mill now stands and at that time was one of the best in the county. He was for seven years postmaster at Wyalusing and long prominent in the business affairs and enterprises of that place.
In person, Mr. Hollenback was handsome, large, strongly built and of undoubted courage. The children of John and Rebecca Hollenback were Eleanor J., George, Nelson B., Harry Augustus, John Gordon, Edward Dougherty. Mrs. Hollenback died June 5, 1817, and on April 26, 1818, Mr. Hollenback married for his second wife, Rebecca, daughter of John Birney. He died March 13, 1867, aged 91 years and his wife, December 25, 1884, aged 85 years. Their children were Rebecca, Clark, Eleanor, William, Charles, Sarah, Jackson and Chester.
Eleanor J., born October 14, 1804, married, 1823, Thomas Richardson, died
January 6, 1825.
George, born August 26, 1806, married, January 22, 1833, Jane Gordon of Standing Stone, died December 30, 1878.
Nelson B., born January 7, 1809, died May 23, 1885, unmarried.
Harry A., born June 26, 1811, married, 1834, Olive A. Turrell, died August 17, 1888.
John G., born May 11, 1813, married Mrs. Bertha Davis, died September 25, 1877.
Edward D., born July 16, 1815.
Solomon Soper removed with his family from Manchester, Vermont to Columbia township in 1800. On the farm which he settled, improved and died, he had a pioneer grist mill. His son, Heman, born in September, 1800, was the first male child and the second child born in Columbia. Mr. Soper had married Polly, daughter of Jonathan Corey, a Revolutionary soldier. Their children were Harriet (Mrs. Nathaniel Havens), Heman, Harris C., Thomas, William, Collins W. and George.
Collins W. succeeded to the homestead. He married Diadama, daughter
of Alexander and Saloma (Daggett) Harris and had children, Elwyn, Walter,
Ward, Edith (Mrs. Thomas Walker), Edson L. and Charles M.
Clement Corbin, born May 1, 1733 at Dudley, Mass., came with the Coburns from Connecticut to Warren township in 1801. He had been a soldier in the Revolutionary war, enlisting first in August, 1776, as a private in Capt. Samuel Chandler's company, 11th regiment, Connecticut militia, under Col. Ebenezer Williams; served around New York. January 8, 1778, he again enlisted as a sergeant in the
company of Capt. John Williams in Col. Obadiah Johnson's regiment of Connecticut militia; served in Rhode Island. After removing from the East, Mr. Corbin and his sons, Thomas, Oliver, LeRoy, Relief, Payson and Penuel, devoted their time in carving out farms in the wilderness, sharing with their few neighbors the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. The patriot father died in 1825 and is buried at Warren Heights. His daughter, Theda, whose death occurred in 1802, was the first adult to depart this life in Warren.
Oliver married Lucy B. Hill, died in 1870 in his 87th year and his wife, in 1880 in her 94th year. They reared six sons and three daughters--a family of teachers. Their son,
Ira W., who married, March 5, 1835, Betsy Shurts, taught school more than 30 years. Another son, Dr. John L. Corbin, was long a practitioner at Athens.
Lodowick Greene was a son of Elisha Greene and Edith Stafford of Greenwich, Rhode Island. Elisha was fifth in descent from John Greene, the original emigrant, who came from England in 1635 and was also the ancestor of Gen. Nathaniel Greene of Revolutionary fame. Lodowick and his wife, Mary Pierce, removed with their children from Rhode Island to Athens township, settling at Greene's Landing in 1801. Here they spent the balance of their days. Their children were Henry, Benjamin Franklin, Susanna, Thomas and John P.
Benjamin Franklin, born April 9, 1792, married Mary Brown and occupied the homestead where he died. Their daughter, Almira, married Giles M. Hoyt.
Susanna married Thomas Lane and lived at Greene's Landing; children
were Mary (Mrs. G. W. Plummer), Sarah (Mrs. Gabriel Walker), Martha (Mrs.
William Drake), Lucy, Wealthy, (Mrs. Henry Mingle) and Jane (Mrs. Nathaniel
William Nichols, born, 1764 at Warwick, R.I., was the son of a zealous patriot of the Revolution, his father serving as a colonel in the war for American Independence. He went to Vermont and later to Ballston, N.Y., where he married Mary Derbyshire, a native of Long Island and of Dutch descent. After his marriage, he settled in Chenango county, where he remained until 1801 when he removed to Bradford county, locating at Burlington Center. He reared a large family and passed through all the trying experiences of a true pioneer. His death occurred March 25, 1861 at the age of 97 years and that of his wife, May 24, 1847, aged 74. Both are buried in the old church grounds at West Burlington. Their children were:
Charlotte married Hiram Nogse of Vermont.
Elizabeth died unmarried.
James married, May 23, 1822, Freelove Alexander of Burlington.
Earl, born April 18, 1798, married, July 2, 1823, Ursula, daughter of John T. and Cynthia (Campbell) Clark, was a pioneer in the forests of Burlington Hills, a man of prominence and a thrifty farmer; he died June 26, 1866 and his wife, born October 9, 1802, died April 29, 1885. Their children who married as follows were: Cullen F. to Martha Smith; James W. to Ann Waters; Maria to Wright Spencer; Adelaide to Robert Knapp; Adalinda first to John Hill, second to James Wilson.
Harriet married Irvine Farnsworth of Smithfield.
Mary married Mr. Frink of Susquehanna county, Pa.
Jonathan married and settled in Potter county, Pa.
William Manchester married, February 22, 1837, Lucinda Scouten of Burlington.
Benjamin married, 1835, Nancy Maria Ann Neil of Franklin.
Emily married a Mr. Cunningham.
Oliver Bailey, the ancestor of the Baileys of Western Bradford, was the hero of two wars. A son of Ephraim Bailey, he was a native of Haddam, Middlesex county, Conn. And there married Hannah Scoville. He was a private in the Revolutionary war in the company of Captain Higgins of Haddam, Col. Wm. Douglas, 5th battalion Wadsworth's brigade, raised June, 1776, to reinforce Washington's army at New York; he was in the battle of Long Island and also White Plains. Some years after the war, he removed to Berkshire, Mass., and in 1803 came with his wife to Granville township, Bradford county, where some of the family had already settled. Here he continued to reside until the time of his death, October 4, 1822, aged 84 years. In noting his demise, The Settler, published at Towanda, says: "Mr. Bailey was a soldier of two wars. He served through the whole of the old French war and was one of the first who asserted our independence in 1775. He served through the whole of that arduous struggle for liberty and was in many of the most important battles. He was one of the most respected and first settlers of Franklin (then including part of Granville), having resided in that place 19 years. He had 12 children, all of whom lived to have families and to an advanced age." The children of Oliver and Hannah Bailey were:
Oliver, Phoebe, Hannah and Polly all married and remained at Great Barrington, Mass. The other children, who came to Bradford county were:
Keturah ("Katy") married Uriah Baxter and had children, Keturah (Mrs. Elam Parkhurst), Chauncy, Betsy (Mrs. Simon West), Hannah (Mrs. Benj. West), Ezra, Oliver, Roxy Ann (Mrs. John Vroman).
Martha married Jeremiah Taylor (I-325) and was the mother of three sons and a daughter.
Thomas married Esther ____ and had several children.
Scoville married Jerusha Hale of Haddam, Conn. and removed to Granville township in 1801. Their children were Julius, Jerusha (Mrs. Luman Putnam, Sr.), Eliza (Mrs. John Taylor), Hezekiah, Harry, Amanda (1st Mrs. Ambrose Spencer, 2nd Mrs. Samuel W. Shepard), Robert.
Timothy married Eleanor Harris of Barrington, Mass. and settled in LeRoy township. Their children were Harriet (Mrs. Eli Holcomb), Electa (Mrs. Marlin Holcomb), Lyman, Alvin, Abigail (Mrs. Jacob Roberts), Jeremie, Mary Ann (Mrs. Richard Benson), Lucinda or Cinderella (Mrs. George Browning), Warren.
Ezra married Lydia Andrus of Great Barrington, Mass. and settled in Granville. Their children were Elisha, Alanson, Elon A., Phoebe (Mrs. Sullivan Morse), Julia A. (Mrs. Henry Saxton), Sophia (Mrs. Salem Stone), Alva.
David married 1st Lucy, daughter of Ezra Spalding and located in Canton; married 2nd Louise Loomis and had one son, William.
Prudence married, 1803, Hugh Holcomb of LeRoy, hers being the
first wedding in Granville. She was the mother of Alonzo, Orator, Harvey,
Judson, Emeline (Mrs. Tyrus Himes) and Ezra.
Henry Segar of Brattleboro, Vermont came to Towanda Creek in LeRoy as a settler under Connecticut title in 1800. He afterwards purchased 190 acres of the Asylum Land Company, which in 1819, he and his wife, Lenity, sold to Jacob Bowman. Their daughter, Emma Segar, taught the first school in Canton township in 1803.
Ebenezer Segar came with his father, Henry, to LeRoy, where he
remained until 1805, when he settled in Sheshequin. He married Sibyl (Brown),
widow of Josiah Marshall and occupied the Marshall homestead until his
death. Their children were Amanda (Mrs. John Brink), Patience Lenity (Mrs.
Uriah Shaw), Charles E., Collins M., Julia (Mrs. Benj. Brown) and Henry.
Mix -- The name is of English origin and was originally called Meeks. The first of the family to come to America was Thomas Mix, who in 1643 settled at New Haven, Conn. One of his descendants, John Mix, lived at Middletown, Conn. He married Marcia St. John. Their children were Thomas, Amos, Ephraim, John, Sally, Polly and Olive.
Amos Mix, the second son of John and Marcia (St. John) Mix, was born June 10, 1754, at Middletown, Conn. Upon the breaking out of the Revolutionary war, he joined the American army and served throughout that memorable struggle; a part of the time as a private under
Captain McJuster in Colonel Patterson's regiment of the Massachusetts line and was one of the patriots who crossed the Delaware with Washington on Christmas night, 1776. He married, September 2, 1779, Amelia Pennoyer and removed with his family to Pawlet, Vt., thence to Crown Point and from there to Tonneburg, N.Y., and finally to Wysox, Bradford county about the year 1800. After a few years' residence in Wysox, he appears to have lived in Virginia for a time but returned in 1824. He continued to reside in Wysox until after the death of his wife, then spent his last years in Towanda with his son, Col. Hiram Mix and daughter, Mrs. Isaac Myer. He was given a pension by the government in his closing years. Mrs. Mix died March 18, 1832, aged 70 years and her patriot husband, October 16, 1847, aged 93 years, 4 months and 6 days. Their remains repose in the Wysox cemetery. Their children were Anna, Sarah, Silas St. John, Julia Ann, George A., Hiram, William P., Amelia, Zebediah, Ichabod A. and Olive.
Anna, born September 21, 1789, married Mr. Pettes, died October 1, 1868 in Towanda.
Sarah, born December 21, 1791, married Isaac Myer, died in Towanda, September 23, 1881.
Silas St. John, born October 3, 1799, married Eleanor Mix, engaged in the mercantile business with his brother, Hiram, in Towanda, finally removed to Byron, Ill., where he died.
Julia Ann, born December 11, 1801, married a Mr. Durant and lived at Chattanooga, Tenn.
George A., born August 1, 1805, married and removed to Dubuque, Iowa where he died.
Col. Hiram, born September 12, 1787, married, December 28, 1806, Elizabeth, daughter of Ralph Martin of Wysox (I-162). He engaged in the mercantile business at Myersburg and became one of the prominent men of the county. In 1822 he removed to Towanda where he was a merchant for some years. He was the first burgess of Towanda and was popularly known as "Colonel Mix" from the rank he held in the state militia. He died at Towanda, September 8, 1847, aged 60 years. His wife, born July 9, 1785, died February 10, 1841. Their children were: Eleanor, born December 29, 1807, married, April 9, 1829, Silas St. John Mix and removed to Illinois with her husband; William, born August 8, 1809, married, January 18, 1842, Angelique Prevost, died July 26, 1881; Emeline, born July 15, 1811, married, October 25, 1831, Dr. Samuel C. Huston, died April 24, 1883; Harry,
born April 11, 1813, married, December 1, 1832, Diana Lawrence, died
August 23, 1887; Amelia Ann, born November 2, 1814, married, November
10, 1841, David Barstow, died January 14, 1897; Betsy, born October
2, 1816, married, December 29, 1835 John F. Means, died August 24, 1882;
August 14, 1818, married, December 19, 1834, Joseph Kingsbury, died December
31, 1901; Hiram, born October 21, 1821, died unmarried May 20, 1859.
Elihu Bishop, a native of Connecticut, who had married Mary Sweetlan, came to Wysox in 1803. He lived for a time at Troy, N.Y., but soon returned to Wysox and for some time had charge of the old Hinman grist-mill. He died April 10, 1852 in his 87th year and his wife, December 29, 1845, aged 75 years and 6 mos. Their children were Harriet, Joseph M., Mary and Alonzo A.
Harriet, born October 12, 1794, married Judge Harry Morgan, died April 4, 1868.
Joseph M., born May 12, 1802, married Adah C., daughter of Dr. Jabez Chamberlain
(I-276); lived in Macedonia and died August 6, 1871; children were Helen (Mrs. Thomas Keen), Edwin M. and Irene (Mrs. Charles Kellum).
Mary, a lady of beautiful character, died unmarried.
Alonzo A., born February 29, 1808, married Eveline B., daughter
of Shepard Pierce. He learned the tanner's trade, built and operated a
tannery on the back part of the Pierce place at the foot of the hill. Subsequently,
he purchased the Ridgway tannery, which he operated for more than half
a century and also manufactured shoes. He was noted for his energy, integrity
and reliability as a workman. He died January 18, 1892. His children were
Alfred S., Frances M. (Mrs. Darius Williams), Edward R., Elizabeth S. (Mrs.
Jesse R. Smith), Mary (Mrs. Robert Austin), Joseph W. and Shepard E.
Jacob Dutcher was a settler on Wysox Creek in or before 1803. He at one time occupied the Barstow place and later the John H. Allen farm, about two miles above Myersburg. Here he is supposed to have died. His widow, Deborah, survived him many years. Their children were: Jacob; John; Charles lived at Danville, N. Y.; Elijah T. married 1st Miss Shackleton, 2nd Anna Allen, died on Pond Hill; Polly married Oney Allen; Arilla married William Morley; Jerusha, Percilla. The parents rest in the old Woodburn cemetery.
Abraham Dutcher, probably a brother of Jacob, was also an early settler of Wysox. He died before 1811, leaving a widow, Sarah, and at least two children, John and Freelove.
Elihu Smead was one of the original settlers within Troy borough, coming thereto about 1801. He continued his struggles in the wilderness of Troy until the time of his death, winter of 1825-'26. Surviving him were his wife, Eleanor and children, Roxanna (Butterfield), Reuben, Francis, Eleanor (Mrs. Junebeth Peters), Elihu and Louana.
Reuben married Marcie Ely and was the father of Thomas Smead,
who was a prominent member of the Bradford County Bar, the county's first
district attorney and a member of the state legislature, 1858, '59; the
latter died August 12, 1861 in his 39th year.
Noah Wilson, the Alba pioneer, was an ardent patriot of the Revolutionary war. He enlisted at Rowe, Mass., August 14, 1777 and marched to Bennington, Vt. and with his company participated in the battle at that place under the command of Colonel Wells. Afterwards he returned home and immediately marched to Stillwater, thence to Saratoga and Ft. Edward and finally to Saratoga where he arrived the morning after the capture of General Burgoyne. He returned home again soon after, having served in this tour about two months, during which time he participated in several skirmishes. In May, 1780, he joined Captain Hastings' company in Colonel Jackson's Massachusetts regiment at West Point and served therein as a private six months. During this term of service he was present at the execution of Major Andre. In January, 1781, he marched to Danby, Vt. and there enlisted in the company of volunteers commanded by his father, Capt. Ebenezer Wilson (who is buried at Batavia, N.Y.) in the regiment of Colonel Warner, or Colonel Herrick. He was marched to Ft. Castleton in the vicinity of which he was engaged in scouting expeditions and guard duty until June, 1782. In July, 1782, having removed to Granville, N.Y., he there enlisted in the company of volunteer rangers under Captain Solomon Baker and rendered duty upon the frontiers until the first of May following. He then enlisted at Providence, R.I. on the ship Marcus, commanded by Captain Olney, chartered as a letter of marque and cruised in the sound and towards the West Indies. While off the coast of Virginia the ship was captured by a British frigate and burned. He escaped to an island on the coast of the Carolinas.
Mr. Wilson married Mary Rowley and his subsequent removal with his family to Bradford county is thus chronicled by his son, Dr. Irad Wilson: "Noah Wilson left Addison township, Addison county, Vt. some 16 years after the close of the Revolutionary war with a company of sixteen men to settle on the bank of the St. Lawrence river in Canada, but finding the same government there they had just emerged from, they unanimously resolved to return to
the south side of the river where the cross of St. George could find no congenial breezes to kiss its crimson folds. The journey of 200 miles was performed in 16 days on foot. Mr. Wilson was not willing to relinquish his desire to settle in a new country and hearing of the Connecticut grant in Northern Pennsylvania and Ohio, examined the title of the Connecticut company and believing it good, resolved to view the land. Accordingly in the month of April, 1802, he saddled a good horse and 'rode out into the west' and one day as the 'sun went low,' came to the place now bearing the name of Alba. The stream flowing by carried pure and clear water, and Mr. Wilson then and there named the spot which afterwards and for many years became his home, after the pellucid fluid Alba--white--an emblem of purity. Mr. Wilson spent the first summer in the wilderness at Alba and raised the first crop of corn that was grown in the settlement by setting fire to a windfall at the base of Armenia mountain (which Mr. Wilson also named), burning it over and planting corn among the logs with the peen-end of a shoe-hammer, that being the only hoe he could find in the country. He raised about 40 bushels of good sound corn which he stored for use in a crib until his family should come. He also cleared four acres and sowed it to wheat, the same also being the first of that cereal raised in the limits of the present borough. His home during that first summer was a little cabin about the size of an ordinary bedstead, open at one end and covered with bark. His bed consisted of hemlock boughs covered with a horse blanket. His bill of fare contained bread made by a Mr. Lindsay, then living on the Allen Taylor farm, the flour being brought from Athens on horseback; venison graced his board whenever he chose to kill a deer, and brook trout could be had for the catching--no hard job in those days. Bruin furnished the fat in which to prepare the 'fry'.
"In the fall of 1802 after harvesting his corn and drying what pumpkins he needed, he returned to Vermont for his family, with whom on the 5th of May, 1803, he began his pilgrimage for the West. His family consisted of his wife, four sons and three daughters, and with them and his goods he loaded two wagons, the same being drawn by five horses. Mr. Wilson had bought 3,000 acres of the Connecticut company and had surveyed the same. The newcomers found at Troy, Elihu Smead in a little log house with about an acre of the woods cut away to prevent the trees from falling down and crushing the cabin, and John Barber had about the same extent cleared near the site of Veile's steam mill. These settlers together with Caleb Williams, Reuben, Samuel and Aaron Case, and Dr. Reuben Rowley (his brother-in-law) accompanied Mr. Wilson from Troy to Alba and with their axes cut and cleared a road for the wagons to pass. Late in the afternoon of May 20, the cabin of Mr. Wilson was reached and occupied by a portion of the family: Dr. Irad, then a boy of five years, sleeping under the wagon, while a sister slept in it and the accompanying men by the log fires which they kindled. The next day was occupied in making a better and more comfortable house, which was completed the same day, the roof of bark even being put on." Dr. Wilson says, 'we all lodged the second night in comfortable quarters. The bedsteads consisted of crotched sticks driven into the ground with little poles reaching from the cracks between the logs, and elm bark served as bed-cords. As we had more leisure, basswood planks were split for flooring and other preparations for comfort made. Being in a new country the next thing was to cut down the forest, clear up a farm and make a permanent home. All our energies were extended in this same direction'."
The patriot father was given a pension in his closing years for his faithful services. He died at Alba in the spring of 1844, aged 84 years
and is buried in the village cemetery at that place. The children of Noah and Mary Wilson were Martha, Noah, Hosea, Almira, Malinda, Irad, Iram and Samantha.
Martha married Robert McKean (I-206) of Burlington, 2nd to Daniel Loomis.
Noah married a Miss Smith.
Hosea died in early manhood.
Almira married Silas Gray.
Malinda married Reuben M. Taber of Canton.
Irad, born January 20, 1798 at Addison, Vt., began reading medicine at the age of 16 years and practiced that profession at Alba for nearly half a century; he was chosen county commissioner in 1839 and elected state representative, 1843 and '44; was active in the state militia, filling the positions of captain and colonel and was best known as "Colonel Wilson"; was Alba's first post-master and kept up his active duties as ticket and station agent until past 85 years of age; he was a gracious and remarkable old gentleman; his death occurred July 4, 1884. Col. Wilson married, first, Sally M. Elliott and had children, Oliver, Volney M., Irad, Iram, Cortland S., Allen M., Addison, Eugene, Maria (Mrs. L. J. Andrus), Samantha (Mrs. John Baker), Almira (Mrs. Jefferson Witherall), Emma (Mrs. Erastus Manley). Hannah, Sarah, Harriet and Andrew were step-children, or children of his second wife, Mrs. Ann Crandall.
Iram married Hannah, daughter of Jacob Grantier.
Samuel Rockwell, son of John, was a descendant in the sixth generation from John Rockwell, the first of the family in America, who sailed from Dorchester, England, 1641 and settled at Stamford, Conn. His family moved from Berkshire county, Massachusetts into Vermont, whence in 1804, he emigrated to Bradford county, settling in Canton township on the farm occupied by the late Jacob G. Rockwell. He had married Hannah LaSelle and reared a large and highly respectable family. He died in Canton, 1849, aged 88 years. His children were Hannah (Mrs. Eli Parsons), Elias, Samuel, James, John Calvin, Luther, Laban, Rufus, Myron and Hiram.
Elias died in Canton, 1872, leaving children, Mary, Jacob G., Elisha and Niram.
Samuel died in Canton, 1848, leaving a widow, Elizabeth and children, Churchill S., Sophia (Mrs. John C. Rose), Hannah (Mrs. Joel Wood), Dianna (Mrs. Harvey Holcomb), Nancy (Mrs. Wm. S. Baker), Samantha (Mrs. Samuel A. Taylor), Eli and Malvina.
James married and died in Canton, 1853.
John Calvin was a shoemaker by trade; finally settled in Granville where he cleared and improved a farm and died. He married Harriet
Andrus and had children: Sylvia (Mrs. Orator Holcomb), Emily (Mrs. John P. Bush), Samuel A., James B. and Eliza B. (Mrs. Hiram Stone).
Luther married Johanna, daughter of Jesse Marvin and settled in Troy township. Their children were Bingham L., Jesse Marvin, Alvord P., Martin B., Elvira (Mrs. D. W. C. Herrick), J. Calvin, Orlando W., Hiram L., Azor S. and Delos. The nine brothers were noted for their enterprise and success in business affairs and farming. The last named was a prominent attorney and state senator of the Bradford-Wyoming district, 1875-'77.
Rufus married Miss Mary Alvord and located at Troy. His children were Elijah A., Rufus C., Sheldon N., Emma (Mrs. Edward Purdy), Mary (Mrs. Hiram Wilson), Glycon A., Lydia (Mrs. Hazleton), California (Mrs. Charles Thomas), Hila (Mrs. Simon Stanton), John E. and E. C. Rockwell. Mr. Rockwell died, 1872, survived, by his wife Lydia (evidently second).
Myron was born September 20, 1804 at Canton. He was noted for his deep piety and was for many years a Baptist preacher. He married Mary A. Lillybridge and died, 1885, at Roseville, Pa., aged 81 years. Their children were Nancy J. (Mrs. Joel Webster), Myron A., Warren A., Horace W., Mary E. (Mrs. Ira Bement), Emma P. (Mrs. Frank L. Miller), Dr. Oscar H. and Ella E. (Mrs. Marchael Lefler).
Laban and Hiram seem to have settled in the West.
David Pratt, born August 10, 1762, at Point Ticonderoga, Vermont. He served as a soldier in the war for Independence, his name being given on the rolls of "New York in the Revolution." He married Hannah, sister of Samuel Rockwell, Sr., came with his brother-in-law from Vermont to Canton, 1804. He located one and one-half miles north of Canton Corners where he cleared and improved a large farm. Here he died, May 30, 1844. Hannah was b. Aug. 5, 1762, d. April 17, 1844. They left eight children: Ebenezer, David, Asa, Jonathan, Betsy (Mrs. Wm. Roberts), Rachael (Mrs. Jesse Griffin), Julius and Chester.
Ebenezer married Fanny Powers and became a physician.
Asa married Celia, daughter of Tilley Leonard of Burlington; died in Canton, 1860.
Julius married Rebecca Robert.
John Harkness who served his country in the struggle for Independence was born June 15, 1760 at Pelham, Mass. In 1777 he enlisted as a private under Capt. John Howinson, Colonel Porter's regiment Massachusetts troops and served two months; spring of 1778 again enlisted and served six months under Lieutenant Mattoon and Captain Lamb in Colonel Wade's regiment; 1780 entered the company of Lieutenant Taylor under Colonel Bailey and served six months. During his enlistments he suffered many hardships as the following will illustrate: "One cold night a squad to which he belonged, while looking for quarters found a log barn occupied by some hogs; these they drove out and made themselves somewhat more comfortable." Some time after
the war Mr. Harkness concluded he would move his family to "the rich country of the West" and take his chances with the other bold pioneers. He, accordingly, set out from his New England home with his family, stopping for a time at Salem, N.Y. while he went to explore the Genesee country. Finding the people sick with fever and ague, he became discouraged and took another course which brought him to what is now the township of Springfield. He was pleased with the country and concluded to make it his home. In the fall of 1803, in company with Ebenezer Harkness, Ichabod Smith and Alexander Harkness, single young men, he came to the township, selected a piece of land, built a cabin and began clearing. Late in the fall he returned to move in his family, his three companions remaining during the winter. On the 1st of March, 1804, Mr. Harkness reached his home in the wilderness with his family, the snow being two feet deep and he required to cut his road in from Smithfield. He moved in on sleighs drawn by two ox-teams and a span of horses. In addition to improving his land, Mr. Harkness built a shop and manufactured churns and hand rakes with which he supplied the surrounding country. His home furnished hospitality to the new comers until they could prepare homes for themselves. In his old age he was given a pension by the government. He died November 14, 1843 and is buried in the Harkness cemetery. His wife was Rachel _____ by whom he had thirteen children: Alexander, Nancy, Nathaniel, Jacob, Silas, James, Rachel, John, Margaret, Oliver, Ezra, Hiram and Chester.
Nancy married Austin Pennock.
Jacob married Prudence Smith.
James married Dorcas Morley.
Rachel married Josiah Parkhurst.
John married Patience Severance.
Margaret married Joseph Stacy.
Oliver married Laura Bennett.
Hiram, born April 20, 1805, was the first child to see light in Springfield; he married Lorinda Boughton.
Chester married Louisa Smith. He was the last survivor of the family. In his youth he had many exciting experiences as the following related by himself will illustrate:
"Father kept some stock at a clearing known as the Camp Lot, a mile and a half distant from his home. Every evening it was necessary to bring in the stock as the wolves would play havoc with the calves. The duty of bringing in the
stock generally fell upon Chester. On one occasion as his father was leaving home he gave Chester special orders to get the calves up in time. When the father returned at nightfall he found that Chester had not obeyed his commands. In chastisement he commanded, 'Chester, if I were to serve you right, I would send you yet tonight,' and accordingly sent him off, undoubtedly first limbering his joints with a proper administering of beech oil. When poor Chester neared the lot the howls of the furious wolves burst upon his ears. How he could save himself and the calves from falling prey to the voracious beasts was the great problem of his youthful mind, which he must not be long in working out. He at last has it--he will push on to the lot, mount one of the colts, let down the bars and run for home. His familiar call brought the stock to the bars, the colt is mounted, the bars dropped and away they go, horses and calves, pursued by the wolves. On the way Chester is met by his brothers who had armed themselves with an axe and carried a lantern. Chester is greatly frightened and on seeing his brothers, exclaimed, 'I have got the whole business, calves, wolves and all!' The timely rescue of the boys saved Chester and the calves, and his narrow escape taught a careless boy a lesson which he never forgot."
Ezekiel Leonard, was born July 30, 1751 at Springfield, Mass. He served as a private in Capt. Nathan Rowley's company under Col. John Worcester, alarm service, from Sept. 21, 1777, to Oct. 17, 1777 in Northern expedition against Burgoyne's invasion. He was with General Ethan Allen in his attack on Ft. Ticonderoga. He became one of the pioneers of Bradford county, and the advent of the Leonards into Springfield is thus described by a member of the family:
"In June 1803, Ezekiel Leonard and Austin Leonard of Springfield, Massachusetts, having been interviewed by Michael Thorp, a land agent, came to this locality to establish a new home. At Troy they met Joseph Barber, a hunter and surveyor, who lived near Dillin's mill. Barber took them into the valley at the western slope of Mt. Pisgah and assisted them in selecting a tract of 1,000 acres which they purchased. They agreed with Nathaniel Allen, living at East Troy, to build them two log houses and to have them by the 1st of November, 1803 for the sum of $75. The Leonards arrived with their families at that time. Mr. Allen had not built the houses but had a vacant log house into which the Leonards moved. Austin and Ezekiel built a hut by the side of a large hemlock log a few rods from the Leona M. E. cemetery, where they lived during the working days of the week the remainder of the year 1803 and up to the summer of 1804. On Saturday nights they went down the creek to Allen's settlement and stayed with their families until Monday morning. Then each with his week's rations, his axe and rifle, repaired to their hut in the valley, afterwards known as 'Leonard's Hollow' and now as Leona. During the winter they felled the timber on about 40 acres. They burned this fallow in May and planted corn amongst the logs, using hand-spikes for corn planters. They had a wonderful growth of corn, estimated at 40 bushels per acre. After their corn was planted, they built two log houses on the western bank of the creek and moved thereto. The roofs of these houses were made of hemlock bark and the floor of mother earth. Before cold weather, they made floors from ash lumber, which they split and hewed to proper thickness. The news of their great corn crop brought additional settlers from Massachusetts. Austin built a saw mill in 1808 on lands now of Austin Leonard and thus added the luxury of board floors and roofs to their mansion in the forests."
Ezekiel Leonard had married Rhoda _____; she was born March
23, 1764 at Symmers, Conn., died December 27, 1842; he died suddenly August 30, 1834; both are buried in the Leona M. E. cemetery. Their children were:
Abi (Abigail), born August 11, 1783, married Abel, son of Austin Leonard, died January 24, 1864.
Laura, born June 16, 1785, married Joel Calkins, died February 27, 1843.
Ezekiel, born October 23, 1787, married Huldah Stever, died July 25, 1869.
Nathaniel, born December 18, 1790, died January 27, 1827.
Lyman, born June 3, 1793, married Abby, daughter of Moses Calkins, joined the Mormons and removed to Salt Lake City where he died March 18, 1877.
Eber, born July 27, 1795, married Sally Wilber, died October 27, 1871.
Frederick, born July 13, 1799, married Mary B. Rose, died February 4, 1882.
Albert, born July 24, 1801, married Cynthia Sargeant, died May 1, 1882.
Alfred, born September 21, 1805, married Hannah Mudge, died March 26, 1876.
Austin Leonard, born March 15, 1753 at Springfield, Mass., also said to have been a faithful soldier of the Revolution and a relative of Ezekiel, accompanied the latter to Springfield in 1803. He had married Nancy ____ and spent his remaining days in Springfield, where he died, 1826. They had four sons and a daughter:
Austin, who was a physician, never came to the county. He located in Canada and died there.
Abel settled in Springfield, where in 1812, he married Abigail Leonard, being the first wedding in the township.
Asaph U. married and settled in Springfield. He was a noted hunter and successful bear trapper. He was father of the late Sylvester Leonard who died April 16, 1905, aged 92 years.
Deborah married Joseph Grace, Jr., and was the mother of Ambrose, James U., Maria (Mrs. David Brooks) and Betsy (Mrs. Chauncy Brooks).
Theodore learned the printer's trade, married and for a time
edited a paper in Boston. He came to Springfield a few years after his
father and in 1814 was engaged upon the Bradford Gazette. He was
a man of fine intelligence and splendid information. In 1827 he was chosen
county commissioner. He was father of the late Lafayette Leonard.