BRADFORD REPORTER - Towanda, Pa., June 12, 1884
A vivid flash of lightning, followed instantaneously by a heavy report of thunder, suddenly and unexpectedly arrested the attention of all, and in a few moments it was announced that a lady in the village, Mrs. Sterry Durfey, was killed by lightning. All who could at once rushed to the house where they found the lady apparently lifeless, and any attempt at resuscitation seemed wholly useless. However, an attempt was made by a plentiful affusion of cold water, and, to the satisfaction of everybody, was crowned with complete success. The fluid struck the summit of the roof and followed down a rafter to the plate, both of which were badly shivered. From the place it went through the chamber floor and plastering, making a small puncture and struck a clock, to which it was probably attracted by the iron weights. From the clock the fluid went, without any apparent conductor, to Mrs. Durfey, and was supposed to have been attractd by her spectales and gold beads, both of which, it was said, were partially melted. The beads were quite black and smoky, and her neck was severely burned and blistered. From Mrs. Durfey's head it descended to one foot, leaving a very perceptible and painful trace as it passed, and, destroying one of her slippers, disappeared or expended its force in the cellar.
A serious calamity befell Isaac Ames soon after the arrival of the Becket Colony, in 1810. A bear was making mighty depredations in his cornfield and that of his neighbor. Having ascertained the lair of the animal, they watched for him with their rifles, each taking a different side of the swamp wherein he lay. After some waiting, Mr. Ames, in changing his position came within the observation of his fellow-watcher, who mistook him for bruin, and at once lodged a bullet in the fleshy part of his thigh. Ames lingered in pain for some months, and finally returned to Massachusetts where the ball was extracted and he recovered.
Another instance of watching a deer lick is given, wherein Christopher Eldridge and Samuel Satterlee played the parts, assisted by a third, whose presence was more frmidable than pleasing. They selected a dark night, and Eldridge posted himself in the top of a small bushy hemlock, while Satterlee lay down by a log, and the latter was soon sleeping soundly. The man up the tree head a slight noise below, and looking down discovered by the dim star-light the glaring eyes of some animal which appeared to have its feet on the log. He at once aimed his piece between the two eyes and fired, and descending found that he had lodged a bullet in the brain of a panther of the largest size. It is needless to say that Satterlee was wide-awake the rest of the evening.
One pleasant day, years ago, when the country was yet new, as Alvin Stocking and a neighbor sat in the door of the former engaged in conversation, a bear made his sudden appearance in the opening near the house, seized Mr. Stocking's pet shoat, and put off to the woods, Bruin was at once pursued by the spectators, but when they finally came upon him he yielded the pig which he had made lifeless by "too much hug."
When Miss Cynthia Kellogg was a girl of but thirteen years, she was frequently sent to Milltown on horseback to mill, her road being only a path through the wild woods. One evening she did not reach home until some time after nightfall. On returning she frequently heard a pattering noise behind her, which fact she made known to the family. The next morning an examination was made, and it was found that she had been followed by a panther. In our subsequent letters on Smithfield we will give sketches of the people as we have found them to-day, together with sketches of their families, their recollections of "old times," etc.
Is pleasantly located near the central part of the township, and comprises a population of 332 persons. The following are the points of interest there: E. S. Tracy & Co., aare general merchants, and carry a choice line of goods adapted to the country trade. Their stock includes the best line of staple groceries, dry goods in great variety, boots and shoes of the best make, glass and queensware, notions, and a full line of miscellaneous articles, all of which are sold at prices that must please their many customers. The firm also deal in country produce, paying the highest market prices. Of the firm, Mr. E. S. Tracy has been continuously in business since 1833, the longest of any man in the county. His long experience and strict integrity have gained for him a substantial trade. The gentlemanly partner, whose face may be found wreathed in smiles at all times, is Malie Tracy, who dispatches his business with promptness and accuracy, and enjoys the esteem of a large concourse of friends
. A general merchandise business and undertaking is carried on by W. E. Voorhis, who has been established at East Smithfield eighteen years. In his well arranged store may be found anything choice in the line of groceries, dry goods, notions, boots and shoes, and promiscous articles too numerous to mention. In short he has anything desirable found at a country store. He also keeps constantly on hand a full line of coffins and caskets, and furnishes a first class hearse. Mr. Voorhis is a young man of fine business qualities, endowed with the modest turn of a Frenchman in waiting upon his many patrons.
Phillips & Co., general merchants, occupy the handsomest store in town, and carry general gods in fine stock and great variety. In addition to a full line of groceries, dry goods, boots and shoes, wall paper, notions, hats and caps, and a great variety of miscellaneous articles, ready-made clothing is kept constantly on hand. The firm also deal in country produce, doing quite an extensive business in that department.
L. T. Adams, haarness-making and repairing, established himself at East Smithfield in 1859. An examination of his stock must convince one that anything choice or desirable in the way of heavy harness, single or double, or ligh harness made in the most tasteful manner, handsomely mounted, may be had at his store at the most reasonable prices. A full line of whips of the very best make together with harness supplies of all kinds, is constantly kept on hand. In connection with this business, boot and shoe making is carried on, and arrangements are now being made for a boot and shoe department in his store. Mr. Adams is a gentleman of reliability, and has an established trade and reputation, and you should examine his stock and prices before seeking elsewhere.
D. G. Phelps deals in general drugs, patent medicines, fancy articles, choice tobacco and cigars, confectioneries, paints, oils, and a great variety of miscellaneous goods. Mr. Phelps selects his stock with much care, and keeps constantly on hand a fresh and superior supply of drugs and patent medicines. Among his most remarkable medicines is "Guy's Digester," which has proved a panacea to all dyspeptics who have tried it. Mr. Phelps is an affable gentleman deserving the patronage of all.
S. W. Yontz, dealer in general hardware, keeps constantly on hand a choice line of shelf and heavy hardware, together with a full and superior line of tinwaare, which is manufactured in his shop. He also carries the best line of farming tools, and anything from a horse-shoe nail to a mowing machine may be found in his store. Mr Yontz is a gentleman of integrity, and is building up for himself a prosperous business.
Child & Doty are general merchants. They give especial attention to their grocery department, in which may be found a choice supply of groceries at all times. Notions, confestioneries, boots and shoes, and a hundred and one other articles each have their place in the store. In addition a fine line of jewelry, including watches, is kept on hand. The firm also deal in country produce. As gentlemen and business men we most heartily commend Child & Doty to the public.
C. B. Riggs carries a general merchant business which includes a select line of dry goods, groceries, queensware, hardware, drugs, patent medicines, notions, school books, etc. Mr. Riggs' long experience in the mercantile business has gained for him a permanent, lucrative business.
Forrest & Kelley, foundrymen and machinists, occupy the old stand of Warren Hill, who established the present foundry and machine shop in 1858, and began the manufacture of agricultural implements and stoves, the latter business now being discontinued by the present firm. In the shops of Forrest & Kelley is manufactured a superior plow known as "The Star;" also cultivators, land rollers, horse rakes, wash boards, sleigh shoes, neck yokes, fork handles, cheese boxes, and a score of other first-class articles. Especial attention is given to all kinds of custom work. For some years W. T. Gardner ran a tanning business in connection with the foundry, but his building was subsequently purchased by Forrest & Kelley, who converted it into their machine shop.
J. W. Lyons, a most skillful moulder, who was employed by Hyatt Bros. on their establishment of the first foundry in Smithfield in 1856, is yet retained by Forrest & Kelley. For a superior line of agricultural implements, at prices most reasonable, and from gentlemen most reliable, remember Forrst and Kelley.
BRADFORD REPORTER - Towanda, Pa., June 19, 1884
One of the rare industries of the country, which is of profit to farmers, is the cheese factory of East Smithfield. This industry was opened in 1879 by William Irving, Jr., but is now run by an association of stockholders, Mr. Irving having charge of the establishment. The farmers bring in their milk each morning in cans holding from twenty to thirty gallons each. Only the cream is used in making the cheese, and the other two-thirds which is "whey," is carried home by the farmer for his pigs and calves. From April 1st to November 1st the average amount of cheese made from a cow is 300 pounds, which sells at an average price of ten cents per pound. This would give the farmer a net of about thirty dollars per cow for the seven months. The process of making cheese is as follows: The milk is first placed in the "steaming vat," where it remains for four of five hours. The curd is then taken out and placed in "the hoops" where it remains for about fifteen hours, after which the cheese is taken to the "curing room," where it must be turned and rubbed each day for about three weeks before it is ready for market. The object in working the cheese is to make it cure well, and to keep out the "skippers." The best quality of cheese found in the markets are those known as "cream cheeses," such as are manufactured at East Smithfield, and the people of Bradford County are to be congratulated for being able to be supplied by a superior article manufactured at home. Mr. Irving is a gentleman thoroughly acquainted with the cheese industry, and we take pleasure in saying that no better cheese than his can be found in the market. During the season he will develop his local trade, and we will say to the people that he has our hearty endorsement. The hotel of the place, "The Blakeslee House," furnishes excellent accommodations, and is finely conducted by its popular and gentlemanly proprietor, Edward Blakeslee, who has gained for his house an enviable reputation. and after you have enjoyed one of his delicious dinners you will feel like repeating: "We may live without poetry, music and art; We may live without friends; we may live without books; But civilized man cannot live without cooks. He may live without books--what is knowledge but grieving? He may live without hope--what is hope but deceiving? He may live without love--what is passion, but pinning? But where is the man that can live without dining?"
E. G. Durfey is the efficient and accommodating postmaster of the place, who dispatches his duties with a commendable promptness. In connection with his office he runs a little store in which is kept a choice supply of stationery, confectioneries, tobacco, cigars, groceries, and many other choice articles that must please the taste, and which are sold at prices the most inducing. Please remember the fact, and when you visit the post office give him your patronage.
W. L. Riggs & Co. are engaged in the manufacture of sash, blinds, etc., and run a planing mill. In their establishment is manufactured a superior line of doors, sash, blinds, mouldings in many styles, and almost anything in the building line. The firm also do an extensive custom work, and deal in lumber. Much of the machinery operated in their mill, are ingenious devices gotten up by themselves. The firm do their work with a promptness and mechanical touch that commend them to the patronage of the public
. Ulysses Moody is the tried and skillful wagon-maker of the place, and anything desirable and substantial in the line of light or heavy wagons, from the very best materials, may be expected upon leaving your order. Mr. Moody has been established at East Smithfield for forty-four years, and it is needless for us to farther recommend his work, as he has gained that reputation in which his work recommends itself. Blacksmithing is carried on by C. Fraley and Patrick Powers, gentlemen both proficient in the use of tools. In the shop of the former, we found E. W. Millspaugh, a most skillful mechanic, and without a peer in the county. An idea of his ability to turn work rapidly may be briefly stated in saying that he has shod as many as thirteen horses in a single day. Samuel Hamilton is engaged in boot and shoe making, and does general custom work. For a good substantial job, remember it is the place to leave your order. Andrew Messing is the good natured butcher, who keeps constantly on hand the choicest and most delicious meats, and after you have once tried you will say-- A dinner is not complete Without a piece of Andrew Messing's meat.
Cooperage is carried on by Asa Phelps, who executes his work in a skillful manner, and manufactures anything from a well bucket to a hogshead. Examine his work and be convinced that there is no better. A. E. Blakeslee deals in all kinds of agricultural implements, from the patent corn dropper to Warner's broad-cast seeder, mowing machines, reapers, spring tooth harrows, etc., inclusive. He also deals in a superior line of wagons, both light and heavy, and is agent for "The Ferguson Beman Creamer," the most approved method of cream raising and butter making. The "creamer" fills a want long felt by dairymen, and is a great labor saving invention. It is unequaled for quantity and quality of product, and no dairyman can afford to be without it. Mr. Blakeslee is doing a reliable business, and would you be made happy by a good bargain and patronize one of the most genial of men, keep your order for our young friend
. A lady's store is kept by Mrs. A. E. Crowell, and millinery stores by Mrs. F. C. Proctor and Mrs. A. Campbell. The tonsorial art is practiced by J. H. Stage. The physicians of the place are Doctors S. S. Cowell, H. M. Moody, W. H. Allen and E. M. Cowell, who completes his course of studies as a hemopathic at Chicago during the year, but already enjoys the confidence of the people in the bestowal of their patronage. Mr. Cowell is a young man of exemplary habits, a thorough student of fine natural abilities, who will undoubtedly attain eminence in his chosen profession. We examined with much interest atoms from different parts of the human body which he has ingeniously mounted, and were otherwise entertained by his researches
. In addition to the points of interest already named, East Smithfield contains four church edifices, in which the good work is grandly and nobly carried on and a graded school building, where several young teachers are fitted for their important work every year. Among the stars who have been members of this school, we will mention the following who teach heir first term this summer: Misses Lou Adams, Susie Peck, Lizzie Yontz, Cora Ames, Ettie Moody, Myrtie Forrest. The town also affords a brass band, and the following secret orders: I. O. of O. F., Knights of Honor, Equitable Aid Union, Phelps Post, G. A. R., and a Masonic Lodge. The Women's Christian Temperance Union is also a commendable institution. John Bird is the obliging and gentlemanly stage-driver from Milan to Smithfield, and all business entrusted to him is promptly attended to.
OUR VISITS AMONG THE PEOPLE
We found Jesse Sumner at his pleasant home, and were received with kind hospitality. Mr. Sumner is an enterprising farmer, upon whom fortune has smiled in a most bountiful manner. For many years Mr. Sumner has engaged in the dairying business quite extensively, but is now quitting that industry, giving attention to young stock instead, with which he carries on general farming. An examination of his buildings, finds them spacious and well arranged. In his stables we noticed a fine three-year-old Hambletonian, and other young horses. Mr. Sumner is assisted in conducting his farm by his son, O. B. Sumner. Jessie Sumner is a son of Jessie Sumner, who came to the township from Vermont in the fall of 1812, and began improvements on what is now the place of George Dubert. He put his fallow to wheat, then returned to Vermont, married and in February, with his young wife set out with two ox teams for Smithfield. After a journey of three weeks they reached "Milltown," where Mr. Sumner was taken sick. He, however held out until they had reached what is known as the "John Watkins place," when he died. His body was taken to Smithfield for interment, and news at once sent to his father informing him of his son's death, and asking his presence to look after matters. Upon receiving this sad news the father hastened to "the West," and the very day he reached Smithfield he was taken ill. He begged to visit his son's grave, saying "if he did not that evening he never would." His wish was gratified, and sad enough, upon his return he was compelled to take his bed from which he never again arose. His body was placed beside that of his son. The widow Sumner afterwards became Mrs. John Bird
. The pleasant face of Walter Scott and family gave us a hearty reception at their cosy new home, and much interesting knowledge was gleaned in our visit with them. Mr. Scott is an enterprising farmer, and through his manly diligence has made many valuable improvements. He carries general farming, and a choice little dairy of the Durham line. In examining his stock we noticed some very fine calves. His new barn is a model in its arrangement. Walter Scott is a son of Colonel Ansel Scott, and a grandson of Asahel Scot, (already mentioned). He married a daughter of Samuel Farwell, who came to the township from Vermont in 1838. Here he lived the remainder of his days and died. An interesting heir-loom now held by the Scott family is an old-fashioned clock brought from Vermont by Mr. Farwell
. S. H. Wilcox is not only an enterprising farmer, but is one of those genial beings with an open hospitality for all. He carries general farming, giving especial attention to his dairy and the raising of fine blooded horses. His dairy consists of a cross of the Jerseys and Durhams, and of the Jerseys and Holsteins. He thinks the latter preferable. In the way of fine blooded horses, Mr. Wilcox has a pride in the Percheron Norman. Among his horse stock we noticed a fine young team, one a Norman and one a Hambletonian. Mr. Wilcox also gives attention to fine blooded hogs. S. H. Wilcox is a son of Gordon Wilcox, who came t the township while it was yet new, from "Milltown," where his father, Thomas Wilcox had located at the beginning of nineteenth century. Three brothers, Thomas, Rowland and Sheffield, came from the East at the same time. Rowland and Sheffield located in Albany township, where many of their descendants yet live. The family of Thomas Wilcox, though a large one, is now nearly extinct. Gordon Wilcox was a blacksmith by trade, and worked at that business for some time at Smithfield until he purchased the farm now occupied by his son, S. H. Wilcox. Here he spent the remainder of his day
A. L. Bonine is an industrious, enterprising farmer, well up with the times. In addition to his farming he carries a small dairy, making the raising of sheep a specialty, keeping the Southdowns. He also gives attention to the raising of fine blooded hogs. Mr. Bodine is known as "the peach king" of the county. He has four very fine young orchards, which include about 6,000 trees. He thinks this industry can be made a success in our latitude, and is the first one to make the adventure on a large scale in the county.
BRADFORD REPORTER - Towanda, Pa., June 26, 1884
OUR VISITS AMONG THE PEOPLE
In O. B. Kellogg we found an esteemed citizen and genial gentleman, who through diligence and economy has made himself prince of an excellent farm which is finely stocked. And as we sketch his life, we must say:-- "Of all the pursuits by man invented, The farmer is the most contented; His profit is good, his calling high, And on his labors all rely."
Mr. Kellogg carries a fine dairy, consisting of the Durhams, and also young stock quite extensively. He gives attention to general farming, which is carried on in a general manner. Mr. Kellogg is a son of Timothy C. Kellogg, one of the early settlers already mentioned in our letters. A visit was pleasantly spent with H. C. Brigham, and many interesting facts gleaned from him. Mr. Brigham and his son, S. A., carry a neat little farm and dairy. They also give much attention to the culture of bees, and the manufacture of foundation combs. In the stock line they give attention to the Norfolk Polled, or a stock commonly known as the morley. For many years Mr. Brigham followed the occupation of a shoemaker, and as he expresses it, "made the greater part of his property by drawing it through the awl-hole." He is a son of Timothy Brigham, who moved to the township about 1809, from Madison, N.Y., where he had moved from Massachusetts. He, however, remained at Madison but a short time, thence moved to the township and located on the Webb place. Here he remained for about three years, then moved to Burlington, and afterwards to Granville where he died. Mr. Brigham was twice married, and had a family of eleven children. Mr. Brigham was a singing school teacher, and taught winters for some years. His mother was an own sister of Brigham Young, and named the great polygamist, "Brigham." And Young's mother named his father "Timothy." We give the above as a matter of note, and not as a fact, of which the Brigham family feel proud. Mr.. H. C. Brigham married a daughter of Isaiah Kingsley.
Adam Schill is a prosperous farmer, and has one of the handsomest farms in the township, which is conducted in the most skillful manner. Mr. Schill makes a specialty of hay and grain, growing wheat and oats in the largest quantities. He also carries a dairy and young stock, keeping the fine bloods. Mr. Schill's place is finely watered, and contains a thrifty orchard of about four hundred trees. In conducting the farm Mr. Schill is assisted by his son, John, an enterprising young man of excellent habits. Mr. Schill came from Germany about thirty years ago, and has lived in the township the greater part of the time since. In 1864, he enlisted in the 188th Regiment, N. Y. volunteers, and was connected with the Army of the Potomac, 5th Corps. He participated in the battles of Hatcher's Run, Weldon Railroad, and all others fought by his regiment until the close of the war. He was a faithful soldier and deserves our grateful remembrance.
W. A. Wood is one of the most enterprising stock men of the county, and is pleasantly domiciled on his large and prosperous farm. In connection with his general farming, he makes a specialty of fine blooded sheep, the Southdowns, together with Merinos. His flock is undoubtedly the finest in the county, and contains ewes imported from England and Canada, some of which cost him eighty-five dollars apiece. The entire flock consists of 165 head, a great percent, of which are thoroughbreds. Mr. Wood also gives attention to fine blooded horses, and is the owner of the well known stallion, Lorde Clyde, one of the finest horses ever brought to the county. He was bred on Long Island, and came from imported stock. Mr. Wood has owned him since he was six months old, he being now eleven years. When three years old Lord Clyde took the first premium at the State fair held at Elmira, and has since taken premiums when placed on exhibition. His colts are very even, and rank among the very best draft horses. Lord Clyde has gained an enviable popularity, and only stands at home. In the way of cattle, Mr. Wood gives attention to the Norfolk Polled, on which he has his points of excellency. Mr. Wood occupies the ancestral estate of his grandfather, Samuel Wood, who occupied the place in 1809. Since that date, the place has not been out of the Wood name. Among interesting documents we were shown an "Identure" nearly one hundred years old, gotten up in the quaint old style of a century ago. It was an original document, and had been indented, though its duplicate had been lost.
We found A. A. Jones an obliging gentleman, and spent an interesting visit with him. He is a son of Abram Jones who came to the township in 1815 from Halifax, Vermont, and located on the place of now Mrs. Harriet Jones. Mr. Jones was a surveyor, and followed that business the greater part of his life, his sons conducting the farm which he had taken up. Mr. Jones was a sub-agent under Clymer for the Bingham lands, and was one of the parties assaulted at "Cooper's" as mentioned in one of our Springfield letters. He lived to be ninety-four years old, and his father, Israel Jones, who was a Revolutionary soldier, to the advanced age of ninety-nine years. A visit with W. J. Hamilton proved him a pleasant gentleman, and enterprising young farmer. He carries a small dairy, and gives considerable attention to young stock. In the growing of grains he makes a specialty of oats and buckwheat. Mr. Hamilton is also a horse tamer, and never fails in making the most vicious the most docile.
BRADFORD REPORTER - Towanda, Pa., July 3, 1884
Walter Scott is an enterprising farmer, and runs a thrifty dairy which consists of grade Durhams. In the horse line he has a pride in the Percheron Normans, which he breeds. Mr. Scott and his son L. B. also give attention to the culture of hops, having started this industry two years since. A kiln has been erected and two acres put in a state of cultivation. The enterprise promises success. In August, 1862, Mr. Scott enlisted in the 141st Regiment, P. V., and served with that gallant regiment during the memorable overland campaign, and participated in all of the destructive battles fought in connection with it. At Hatcher's Run he lost an arm. He proved himself a gallant soldier, and now lives respected and esteemed by a large circle of friends
. We found Rev. George Ballentine and J. L. Gerould genial, enterprising gentlemen well skilled in the art of farming. In connection with general farming they carry a fine dairy consisting of the Ayrshires and Jerseys crossed, and are now introducing the Durhams. They also carry young stock quite extensively. In the way of horses we noticed a very fine young team brought from Kentucky. Mr. Ballentine has been a Baptist clergyman for some years, but the confinement connected with the ministry not proving conducive to his health caused him to abandon that work for a time. The farm possessed its charms for him, and thereon he spends his time in comfort with the same spirit of progressiveness, as was manifest in the pulpit. In A. O. Scott we found an entertaining and obliging gentleman who added very much to our store of facts, which we have been reciting on Smithfield. Mr. Scott conducts the prosperous farm and dairy of his father, Orrin Scott, an old and much respected citizen. In August 1862, Mr. Scott enlisted as corporal in the 132d P. V., Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, and participated in the battles of Antietam and Fredericksburg. In the latter action he was severely wounded in the right arm, and was never again actively engaged. Mr. Scott, like all of our noble Blues, may well feel proud of the record of a true soldier.
In H. B. Harris we found a progressive young farmer and gentleman of pleasant demeanor. His farm is a prosperous one, in connection with which he carries a choice dairy which consists of the Norfolk Polled. He also carries young stock to some extent, and drives a fine young team of the Black Hawk stock. In addition to general farming, Mr. Harris also deals in mowing machines, reapers, horse rakes, plows, bolster springs, and much other first class machinery. He occupies the homestead of his father, A. N. Harris, who moved hither from Massachusetts about fifty years since. E. R. Harris is also an enterprising young farmer near by
. We found a. R. Dutton a large and prosperous farmer, happily domiciled in a pleasant new home, and as we enjoyed his kind hospitality and one of Mrs. Dutton's excellent dinners we thought-- "O hour of all hours, the most bless'd upon earth--Blessed hour of our dinners." Mr. Dutton gives much attention to fine stock, and has frequently carried off premiums at both Towanda and Troy fairs. Mr. Dutton carries a large dairy of the Ayrshire line, into which he is introducing the Jerseys. He also carries young stock quite extensively and gives attention to fine blooded hogs, the Berkshires. In his heard we noticed a very fine thoroughbred Jersey bull three years old. Mr. Dutton occupies the place where Ezra Wood began, and which was subsequently occupied by Ezra Allen, father of Dr. A. P. Allen, of Athens. Mr. Dutton moved to his place from New York State in 1850. He is a grandson of Samuel Dutton, a Revolutionary soldier and officer.
H. L. Bird has a very pleasant home, and a prosperous farm which he conducts in the most skillful manner. Our visit found him diligently employed, but he readily found time enough to make our call a most agreeable one. He carries a choice dairy consisting of Ayrshires and Durhams, and enough young stock to keep it good. Oats and corn are made a specialty and the other cereals are grown in considerable quantities. Mr. Bird occupies the place taken up by his father, O. K. Bird, who occupied it until the time of his death.
H. Huntington is a prosperous farmer, and occupies a pleasant new mansion which is surrounded by spacious and well arranged farm buildings. Mr. Huntington had formerly given attention to dairying, but has discontinued that business, going into young stock and sheep instead. In the latter line he carries the Cotswolds and Merinos. Mr. Huntington makes general farming a specialty, and grows all our grains in large crops. He occupies the place which his father, Asher Huntington, had purchased of Bernard Farnsworth, who had made some fine improvements. Mr. Huntington has, however, added to the original purchase, and greatly improved the farm. When twelve years of age Mr. Huntington moved with his parents from Connecticut to Springfield township, and afterwards with them to the place which he now occupies.
N. M. Reynolds is a very successful farmer, and occupies one of the handsomest and most productive farms in the township. It is well known as the J. H. Webb place. He carries a very fine dairy of twenty cows, which consists of Durhams and Jerseys. He is a patron of the Troy creamery. He also gives attention to young stock and makes general farming a specialty. Oats and barley are the important crops, and wheat, corn, etc., raised less extensively. Mr. Reynolds drives a good young team of Hambletonians.
We found E. U. Wilcox an extensive farmer and pleasant gentleman, filled with sympathies for the "good fathers," who so nobly deserve our gratitude for their struggles in the wilderness in laying out the excellent farms of today, and making it to blossom as the rose. In addition to his large farm, Mr. Wilcox carries a fine dairy consisting of grade Durhams, some young stock and from one to two hundred sheep. He also has some fine young horses of the Clydesdale stock. Mr. Wilcox is a son of Stephen Wilcox, who came to the township from Halifax, Vermont, in 1818, and located on the place which his son now occupies. On reaching Smithfield, Mr. Wilcox at once set to work and built the primitive log cabin, and began improvements which were necessarily slow, as he was a poor man and had to work out to provide the wants of his family. Many times he had to back meal from the river. Sometimes the funds for procuring provisions and clothing were had from the load of shingles, that with much effort was got in the river, and sold at a low figure. Mr. Wilcox was a very hard working man. He lived upon the place which he took up until the time of his death, which was at the age of eighty-two years.
S. S. Young is an extensive and skillful farmer, and has a very pleasant location. His fine new barn is a model in construction and is one of the finest in Smithfield. He carries quite an extensive dairy of the Durham line and gives considerable attention to young stock. He makes general farming a specialty, and ranks high as a successful farmer. Mr. Young is a son of Sylvester Young, who came to Springfield from Vermont, and yet lives upon the farm which he took up.
We found E. G. Kingsley one of the most jovial of men, and as full of the right kind of politics and love of country as he is full of correct ideas on farming. He is an extensive farmer, and carries in connection a very fine dairy, which he is developing into the Polled stock. He also carries some sheep and enough young stock to keep his dairy good. He has a fine young Clydesdale two years old. In growing the different cereals Mr. Kingsly makes oats and corn the leading crops. In September, 1862, Mr. Kingsley enlisted in the 16th P. V. C., and remained with his regiment until the close of the war. He passed through the terrible ordeal at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and scores of minor engagements. He had several horses shot from under him, but was fortunately one of the lucky ones. In rank he held the commission of Second Lieutenant. Mr. Kingsley is a son of Orrin P. Kingsley, and grandson of Isaiah Kingsley, who will be mentioned farther along
. A Grace has a very pleasant location and an excellent large farm, which he has made beautiful through many years of unremitting toil. He gives attention to general farming and carries considerable young stock. Mr. Grace is a son of William Grace, who came to the township of Springfield from Massachusetts when the township was yet new, and located on the place of now William Westbrook, where he lived until the time of his death. He had a family of seven daughters and four sons, only two of whom are living in the county.
George Dubert is an enterprising farmer and dairyman, and has a very productive farm. He has a very fine Hambletonian team for general purposes. Mr. Dubert is a native of Germany, and came to this country with his parents when a mere lad. His father, Nicholas Dubert, purchased the place which he now occupies.
C. A. Huntington carries general farming and dairying. Of the grains he grows oats most abundantly. His stock consists of grade Durhams.
We found Mr. and Mrs. E. Z. Wood as happy as king and queen, and enjoyed our visit more intensely with them, they both having had the happy experience of pedagogues with us. We concluded our visit by testing one of Mrs. Wood's excellent dinners, and must say she proved herself as well skilled in the culinary art as in that of teaching. Mr. Wood does general farming, but gives more general attention to sheep, poultry and bees. In the sheep line he carries Merinos and Southdowns crossed. Mr. Wood is one of the worthy scions of that numerous Wood family already mentioned.
We found R. N. Roe a gentleman to whom fortune has come with the "golden touch," and one whose good sense knows how "to hold fast that which is good." In short Mr. Roe is a capitalist and farmer. He has a very pleasant home, with more good farms than one. He carries a large dairy, and much young stock. He drives a span of fine young horses, and has other teams. Mr. Roe is a native of New York State, having moved with his parents when a boy, to Springfield township where his father lived the residue of his life. Mrs. Roe lived to be ninety years old.
BRADFORD REPORTER - Towanda, Pa., July 10, 1884
W. S. Marvin is pleasantly domiciled in a fine mansion, and is one of the most extensive and progressive farmers of the township. He carries general farming, and gives especial attention to his fine Holstein dairy and young stock. Mr. Marvin has one of the largest dairies in the town, and shows an excellent record. He also keeps the necessary supply of horses from an excellent line of stock. On Mr. Marvin's place we noticed a very handsome sugar grove of about one thousand trees. Of this number eight hundred are tapped annually, and from two to three thousand pounds of sugar made. For carrying on this business Mr. Marvin has supplied himself with the improved appliances. Mr. Marvin is a native of Tioga County, this State, and has been a native of Smithfield township for about thirty years.
D. W. Lane has a pleasant location, and is a neat farmer. He gives especial attention to young stock and general farming, having discontinued the dairy business. Among other horses, Mr. Lane has a fine Hambletonian four years old. In 1862, Mr. Lane entered the Federal army, and served faithfully his time with the Eleventh Army corps. Upon the expiration of his enlistment he immediately re-enlisted in August, 1864, and was connected with the Ninth Corps until the close of the war, when he returned to his home with the record and glory of a true soldier
. J. E. and David Gillett are gentlemen who, through diligence and economy, have made themselves independent owners of many broad acres which are tilled in the most skillful manner, together with being well stocked. They carry a prosperous dairy of the Durham line, and give considerable attention to young stock. In the way of horses they drive an excellent young team of Clydesdales. David Gillett donned the blue at fifty years of age, and served his country faithfully for sixteen months
. O. E. Wilcox is pleasantly domiciled in a neat little home, and is a good mechanic and highly respected citizen, who lent his country his "arm of strength" during her dark days of rebellion. He enlisted in February, 1864, in the 64th New York Veterans, and participated in the battles connected with Grant's overland campaign. On the 12th of May, when General Hancock made his brilliant dash in the Wilderness, Mr. Wilcox was wounded through the right knee. After his wound would admit he again joined his regiment, and remained with it until the close of the war. At the surrender of Lee, Mr. Wilcox stood near by and thus witnessed the close of one of the greatest civil wars on record. Mr. Wilcox is a son of Stephen Wilcox, already mentioned in our letters.
"Uncle Harry Pierce," born in Smithfield in 1808, is one of the few remaining landmarks of the time, and a much esteemed, intelligent gentleman from whom we gleaned many interesting facts on "early times," some of which we have already recited, and others which we now transcribe. Mr. Pierce's father dying when he was a mere child, he was put out until he was old enough to care for himself. He lived with Sloan Kingsley for one year, then with Ezra Wood, until he began life for himself. "When eight years of age I was frequently sent on horseback to Brown's mill, a distance of four miles, there being no clearing, and my road only a mere path. On one occasion I got lost, but succeeded in finding my way back that night. Brown's one horse mill proving insufficient I was sent to Rutty's mill, on Sugar Creek, a distance of ten or twelve miles, through the wilderness with only a sled road for a guide. Not unfrequently I was required to stay in the mill overnight, when making these trips. It was also my duty to hunt the cows and bring them up in the evening. Frequently I would be belated and not a little scared as the howls of the much dreaded wolves or the shrill scream of the panther burst upon my ears. While living with Mr. Wood, I invited the hands for the raising of his barn. To perform this task it took me three days, a task which could now be accomplished in as many hours. At this time there was not probably much over a hundred acres of cleared land in Smithfield. We attended school in the primitive log school house, and at first in a log barn. To set on the dunce block was a common punishment. Our usual conveyance in going to church and parties were sleds drawn by ox-teams, and though this was our necessitated custom, I think we were much happier in those days than the people are now. A matter in which all the men took great pride were the 'trainings' which we boys imitated. Our hats or caps were made of heavy cloth, which were comical in shape with no trim. In the tops of these we stuck turkey feathers. Our dress was of homespun material, or perhaps deer-skin. Our arms for training were simply long sticks of wood. We ate our rye and Indian bread and milk with a hearty relish. When we could not get the latter article we used sweetened water instead. If we did not have pork, we would exchange maple sugar for it." Mr. Pierce remembers among the first merchants of Smithfield, Ward Dudley, who kept store on the turnpike, on the Ira Bullock place, and Seth Thompson who kept a little store at the Centre near where the monument now is. The first tavern barn built in Smithfield, by Dr. Bullock, is yet standing on the place of Mr. Pierce. Mr. Pierce is yet a very active gentleman, and does considerable work upon his farm, though it is in charge of his son Charles, who in addition to being an enterprising farmer, is a skillful musician, giving instructions on the violin, organ,etc.
One of the most extensive and prosperous farmers of the county is Lark Bird, who occupies the ancestral estate of his grandfather, Michael Bird, the "noted barber," and interesting character already mentioned in our Smithfield letters. For many years Mr. Bird has engaged largely in the dairy business, but has now discontinued that business and has gone into young stock and sheep instead, both of which are carried in large numbers. Mr. Bird has full supply of horses, and two of the finest teams in the township. In addition to his stock, Mr. Bird carries on general farming in the most skillful manner, growing all the grains in large quantities. For carrying on this business he has supplied himself with the most improved appliances. Mr. Bird's large barn, 64 x 92, is a model improvement, and the finest in Smithfield. Mr. Bird is assisted in conducting the farm by his son George, who is now a joint owner. Lark Bird is a son of John Bird who occupied the place after his father's death. John Bird had a family of nine children. These were Phoebe, Luzina, Lar, Orpheus, Harry, Eliza, Laura, Jane and John. Of these, Luzina, Lark, Eliza, Laura, Jane and John are yet living.
BRADFORD REPORTER - Towanda, Pa., July 17, 1884
Mrs. Ruth Perkins, born at East Smithfield in 1805, is a very interesting intelligent old lady of noble character, and an encyclopaedia on early times in Smithfield. Many of the valuable facts gleaned from her have already been recited, but we add the following: "We attended school in the log school house, in which one end was taken up by the huge fire-place. Spelling was made the main study, with some attention to writing, geography, and grammer. Maple bark, or log-wood, boiled in water, with copperas added when it could be had, furnished us with ink and a goose quill, sharpened by the 'master,' supplied us with a pen. The teachers boarded round, generally taking their dinners with them. These consisted of bread and milk, or bread and maple sugar. Sometimes it was bread and jerked venison, or a piece of pork which would be roasted in the fire-place at the schoolhouse. Money was very scarce, and teachers were generally required to receive such articles as the following for their services: Grain, maple sugar, flax, geese, etc. These could be taken to Tioga Point, and exchanged for articles of comfort with some money. Punishments were both novel and cruel. One teacher would require pupils to open their mouths, then place a little prop between their jaws, and compel the boys to hold out great stones at arm's length, and hold a penknife under their hands to keep them from lowering them. School was kept then five and one-half days per week, instead of five as now. In those early days mothers taught their daughters to spin and weave as soon as they were old enough, generally beginning at the age of eight years. If a young lady could not spin and weave and do other domestic duties, she would not receive attention from the young men, as she was looked upon as one that would make a very unprofitable wife. How times have changed since then! How much more foolish the young men of today! On church days there would be two sermons, one following the other with an intermission, at which time the children would be given their lunch of rye and corn bread, which was frequently eaten without butter. People had none of the neat lunch baskets as now, but used a sack instead. Ministers, like teachers, were paid in grain and anything that they could make use of. Mothers made their sons sparking suits, even to the hat, which in the summer season was one of straw. The young ladies made their own. Our literary entertainments were singing and spelling schools, which were generally held at some school house. The boys would bargain to get the girls and take them home again on horse-back, when they were fortunate enough to own steeds. One horse, however, was only required for a couple as the lady rode behind her attendant. Where the gentleman had no horse, he of course had to escort his Miranda on foot. Frequently the young people would be very much frightened on returning from these entertainments. The woods were full of the dreaded grey wolves whose howls would frequently make it unpleasantly musical for them, even if they were fortunate enough to escape being chased by them. Doctors could not be had short of Milltown, and the people were in the habit of doing their own doctoring. In the medical art they used teas made from the following: Soot, catnip, pennyroyal, sassafras, etc. For a spring renovator, whisky and black cherry bark were used. The people were very much pleased when Dr. Bullock, the first regular physician came. At flax bees the young people played 'winkem and ketchem,' 'hunt the squirrel,' 'Farmer Sug,' etc.
" Mrs. Perkins is a lady now seventy-nine years of age, but can see to read and write, or thread a needle without the aid of glasses. She is a daughter of Phineaa Pearce, who came to the township in 1803 and married Luke Perkins, a son of Frederick Perkins who came to Smithfield from Gosham, Connecticut, in 1816. Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Perkins both died in the township. Mrs. Perkins lived to the advanced age of ninety-four. Luke Perkins' grandfathers, John Steadman and Luke Perkins, were both killed at the massacre of fort Griswold, where a British officer with fiendish malignity slaughtered Colonel Ledyard with his own sword after he had surrendered. Luke Perkins (deceased) had a large family. Three sons were soldiers in the late rebellion, two of whom died there. The homestead is occupied by his son, S. H. Perkins, an interesting young man of excellent principles and stirring business qualities. He carries on general farming and dairying in a neat manner. Mr. Perkins has a very fine maple grove, supplied with the improved appliances, and makes as fine a sugar as can be found in the markets
. Of the true heroes who risked their lives in the defense of their country, none is more deservingly entitled to our notice than E. E. Chamberlain, who enlisted in August, 1862, in the 114th New York Veterans. He served with the Eighth Army Corps, under Halleck for nine months, then was transferred to the Eleventh under Howard. Upon the consolidation of the Eleventh and Twelfth into the Twentieth he was placed in it. He participated in many of the hard fought battles of the war, among these we may mention Lookout Mountain, Knoxville, Atlanta, Resaca, and all those fought in connection with Sherman's march from Chattanooga to Savannah. He remained in the service until the close of the war. MC. chamberlain is a skillful mechanic, and son of John Chamberlain, who came to the township from Vermont about 1825.
F. H. Scott is a very neat farmer, and a citizen of which any township might well feel proud. The many improvements recently made about the premises show him a gentleman fully up with the times. He gives attention to general farming and dairying. He has a choice dairy of the Ayrshire line. He also gives attention to sugar making and has the improved appliances for carrying on this industry. Mr. Scott is not a native of the township, or a member of the original Smithfield Scott family, though a relative. He is a son of Orrin Scott who moved from Connecticut to Tioga County, Pa., but is now a resident of Smithfield.
S. K. Campbell is a pleasant gentleman and enterprising farmer and dairyman. He is a son of G. W. Campbell, an aged gentleman, born in Burlington. Mr. Campbell has met with misfortunes, but is highly respected by his neighbors. F. Wolfe is a genial gentleman, engaged in farming and dairying. He occupies the Gladding farm, and is a descendant of the Wolfes of Wolfe Hill, Columbia
. We found E. Groom an enterprising farmer, occupying the Bullock place. Oats is made a specialty, and the other grains grown in good crops. During the winter season Mr. Groom runs his shingle mill, in which superior shingles are cut by means of a large knife, from blocks that have been thoroughly steamed to make them cut easily. In July, 1864, Mr. Groom enlisted in the 179th New York Veterans, at the age of sixteen years, and served faithfully with the Ninth Army Corps until the close of the war. He was at Fort Steadman, Weldon Railroad, and the battles in and about Petersburg.
H. Hewett is quite an extensive farmer and very successful dairyman, carrying a dairy of twenty cows, with some young stock. In August, 1864, Mr. Hewett enlisted in the 50th New York Engineers, and served with the Army of the Potomac until the close of the war, proving himself a soldier worthy of the color he wore. We found Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Doty a very pleasant and hospitable people, and enjoyed our visit very much with them. Mr. Doty occupies the place of his father, Rev. John Doty, who came to the township in 1829 through the influence of General Rose, land agent for the Bingham estate, who offered him the right of any fifty acres he might select. Accordingly Mr. Doty came in the wilderness to do ministerial work and to farm between times. He was a native of Plymouth, Massachusetts, and a graduate of Hamilton Seminary in 1830. His great-grandfather, Edward Doty, came over in the Mayflower, and his father, John Doty, was all through the Revolutionary war. Elder John Doty died in Smithfield in 1867. He united with the Baptist Church early in life. He graduated in 1830, and was ordained in 1832 as pastor of the Smithfield Church. After sustaining this relation for seven years, he resigned and preached in destitute neighborhoods. He was also a teacher for several years, and took a great interest in educational matters. He labored with his own hands in clearing up his little farm. He had a family of six children, four of whom are living. In August 1864, Mr. J. S. Doty enlisted in the 97th P. V., and remained with his regiment until the close of the war.
S. W. Gerould is an enterprising and prosperous farmer, who occupies the place of Joshua King, who at one time ran a fulling mill in the locality. Mr. Gerould carries farming in a skillful manner, and a choice dairy which consists of Durhams and Devonshires. He also carries young stock quite extensively, in which may be found the Holsteins. Mr. Gerould owns a very fine clydesdale four-year-old. Through the kindness of Mrs. Gerould we were shown some of the handsome oil paintings of their daughter Miss Flora. Miss Gerould is a very fine artist, and without a peer in the county. Her paintings always take the premium at the fairs. Miss Ruth Gerould is very finely educated in music, and is a most efficient teacher. S. W. Gerould is a son of James Gerould.
Walter Pierce has a very pleasant location and handsome home, and is one of the most thrifty and successful farmers of the township. He gives attention to general farming, dairying and young stock. His dairy consists of grade Durhams and Holsteins. Mr. Pierce has two very fine young teams, and other young horses. He makes a specialty of wheat and oats. He occupies the Henry Peet place, which had been formerly occupied by others. Mr. Pierce is a son of Horace Pierce, who was a son of Phineas Pierce.
George T. Beach lives as happily and independently as a king in his pleasant home. Mr. Beach is an enterprising and extensive farmer. He carries a fine dairy of Durhams and Holsteins, with young stock. He also gives attention to sheep, keeping the Southdowns and Merinos. In the way of horses Mr. Beach has a fine young team of Clydesdales. Mr. Beach is a son of Truman M. Beach, who was a son of Nehemiah M. Beach, an early settler of Smithfield.
Return to Page One
Go To Third Page
You are the visitor since the counter was installed on December 11, 1998