Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice June 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Ridgeberry township was formed in 1818, taken
from the townships of Athens and Wells. It is situated on the northern
line of Bradford County in the northwest portion of the same, adjoining
Chemung county, New York. It is bounded on the north by Chemung county,
New York, on the east by Athens, on the south by Springfield and Smithfield,
and on the west by South Creek. The streams of the township are Bentley
creek and its tributaries. The surface of the township is uneven
and hilly, but it is under a high state of cultivation. The farmers
are prosperous and forehanded, with elegant dwellings, and large and capacious
Its early settlers were Isaac Fuller, Joel
Fuller, Samuel Bennett, Adam Ridenbar, Vine Baldwin, George Baldwin, Grisworth
Owens, Roswell Goff, Captain Calvin West, John Cummings, Joel Campbell,
Benjamin Campbell, Jonathan Kent, James Covell, Silas Campbell, Major Alpheus
Gillett, Aaron Marcellus, Elijah Buck, Sturgess Squires, Peter Squires,
Joseph Batterson, Elnathan Pierce, John L. Webb, Job Stiles, Ashel Burnham,
Abram Westfall, John Sirton, Jonathan Davison, Green Bentley, Samuel Green,
Peter Evens, Allen Miner, Cornelius O’Driscoll, Richard O’Connor, James
White, John Downs, George O’Leary, Daniel Desmond, John Desmond, Timothy
Desmond, Richard Hurley, John Mahoney, Patrick Butler, Daniel Chambers,
George Chambers, Thomas Chambers, Daniel Kane, James Crowley, Abial Fuller,
David Buck, Kinney Burnham, Lemuel Fuller.
--David Buck cut the first road through to
--Ridgeberry was named by Samuel Bennett,
--Sturgiss Squires was the first constable
in the town, in 1818.
--The Berwick was constructed through Ridgeberry,
--The first framed house was built by Vine
Baldwin, in Ridgeberry.
--Centerville and Bently Creek are the two
post towns in the township.
--Abiel Fuller erected the first saw mill
in Ridgeberry township in 1826.
--John L. Webb was the first Justice of the
Peace, in the township of Ridgeberry.
--Major Alpheus Judd, Job Stiles early settlers
of Ridgeberry, were soldiers in the revolutionary war.
--Rev. Roswell Goff, the celebrated Baptist
minister, first settled in Ridgeberry township, when he came in from the
--Vine Baldwin, an early settler of Ridgeberry,
was the first white child born in the Chemung valley, after the revolutionary
--Sturgiss Squires, Isaac Fuller, Abiel Fuller,
Captain Alvin West, James Covell, early settlers, were soldiers in the
war of 1812.
--Bentley creek was named in honor of Green
Bently, a revolutionary soldier, who, subsequent to his settlement
at Bentley creek, removed to Catharine’s Town, N. Y.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June