Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Chemung County NY
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben, Tioga,
Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S AND CITIES"
Catlin was organized, pursuant to an act of the Assembly, April 16,
1823, approved by Governor Joseph C. Yates, taken from the town of Catharine.
The first election was held May 13, 1823, at the house of Uzal Dickerson.
Horace Tupper was elected supervisor; George Lewis, town clerk. The town
is bounded on the north by the town of Dix, in Schuyler county, east by
the town of Veteran, south by Horseheads and Big Flats, and wet by the
town of Orange, in Schuyler county, and Hornby in Steuben county. It occupies
an elevated position between the valley of Catherine Creek and the valley
of Post creek. Early settlers were: John Martin, Jacob King, Charles King,
Aaron Davenport, Benjamin Cure, Erastus Beard, Horace Tupper, Edward Beebe,
Derias Wood, Andrew Phineas, William Rowley, Abel N. Sweet, Dennison Herrick,
James J. Smith, Jacob Bucher, William Haines, Benjamin Lewis, Uzal Dickerson,
John P. Cornell, Peter Ostrander, Orange Hubbell, Ebenezer Close, William
Locey, Elder Thomas Sheardown, Alanson Owen, Jeduthan King, David Johnson,
Jonathan Woodruff, Mathias Backer, Benjamin Cure, Jr., James Wheeler, John
I. Kimball, Stephen B. Munn, Willis Savory, Washington Savory, William
Masters, Widow Mary Gould, Abram Kimball, Elijah Shoemaker, a soldier of
the revolution, Cladius Townshend, Lucius Tracy, Alanson G. Everetts, Peter
Miles, Dewitt C. Talmage, ______ Weatherby, Timothy Wheat, Ira Cole, Abram
Primmer, Miller Shoemaker, William Teeter, Moses VanOrder, Jacob Steinmetz,
Preserved Cooley, Thomas McCarty, Samuel Sterling, Lewis Thompson, Johnson
Carter, Abel Buckley, Seth Rice.
--The first school house was built in 1820. --The first death was Horace
Tupper, in the year 1827. --Jacob Harman was the first blacksmith, in the
year 1837. --The first saw mill was erected in 1827, by James Wheeler.
--Miss Eunice Bartram was the first teacher if schools in 1820. --The first
log house was erected by John Martin, in the year 1816. --The first marriage
was Benjamin Cure, Jr., to Miss Betsey Doty, in 1826. --The first tavern
was built in the year 1825, by Jacob Bucher, on Post Creek. --The Chemung
Canal was constructed within a few roads of its eastern line, in 1833.
--John Ostrander was the first carpenter, and built the first grist mill
in the year 1827. --The Elmira and Jefferson railroad, now controlled by
the Northern Central, touches the eastern line of Catlin, was constructed
in 1849. --The Syracuse, Geneva and Corning railway, constructed in the
year 1877, touches its western border, in the valley of Post Creek. --Hon.
Abram Primmer represented the town several times as supervisor, and in
the year 1846, represented the county of Chemung, in the assembly of the
state. --The first justice of the peace was Horace Tupper, appointed by
the Governor, Joseph C. Yates, in the year 1823. Samuel Sterling, John
Crawford and Lewis Thompson were appointed the same year. --The first road
was laid out in the year 1823, between Post Creek and Martin's Hill. The
old Sullivan or Catharine highway, touching the eastern border of the town
was laid out many years previous to this. --The principal streams of Catlin,
are the Sing creek and Post creek, flowing southward and discharging their
waters into the Chemung river, Post Creek, at Corning and Sing Sing creek,
in Big Flats. Johnson creek and one or two smaller streams rise in the
town and flow eastward into the Catharine creek, the inlet of Seneca Lake.
You are the visitor
since the counter was installed on January 10, 1999 - Page relocated &
Counter reset 10 OCT 2004