|Palmer's New Store under Construction. North Side of
West Wellsboro St. August 1939
by Chester P. Bailey
Typed for Tri-Counties Website by Pat SMITH Raymond
Three general stores were in Mansfield at the time it became a borough in 1857. They were L. C. Holden, G. M. Bailey and A. J. Ross. Some special rings necklaces and pins could be found in the early general stores.
The first jewelry store was established in Mansfield by O. E. Olney in 1867. He was a dealer in silver plated ware, spectacles and clocks. He also neatly repaired watches and jewelry according to his advertisement. His store was on the south side of East Wellsboro St. across from the Borough Fire Station.
An advertisement of 1899 read:
R. E. Olney of Mansfield, Pa. has been appointed official Watch Examiner of the Erie Railroad. Mr. Olney has a full line of Seventeen jewel Elgin, Waltham and Seth Thomas Watches, also a full assortment of solid Sterling Ware and Silver Plated Ware.
Also opening a jewelry store in Mansfield in the 1890’s was Rodger – the jeweler. In his advertisement in 1899 he offered:
Special low prices – 17 jewel movement – 15 jewel movement – 4 jewel movement
Manufactured by the leaders in watch construction in the United States.
Edward Saks followed Olney who we believe sold out and retired to Covington. Saks jewelry store sign was a large watch, which hung over the entrance at 14 East Wellsboro St. for a number of years.
Saks and Miller built and operated the first Movie Theater behind the
jewelry store. Entrance was off Hoard Street. It was the Theaterium. It
|Around 1908, George Palmer opened a jewelry store in Mansfield. He
was a graduate jeweler and optician. After 1913 the store was known as
Palmer Brothers, Robert having joined as partner. Their store was in the
building formerly occupied by the Grange National Bank and now by Allens
Shoe store. Robert was in WWI and during WWII with Robert again in the
service, George closed the store and opened a shop in his home on College
1923 Mansfield State Normal School yearbook ad at left - 1920 ad
Around 1914 D. S. Souders opened a jewelry and Optometry store. He sold out in 1920.
During the Mansfield Fair there was, for many years, a jeweler who came to the fair and had the same location in the ladies pavilion each year. He was F. M. Jones from Columbus, Ohio.
After WWII John Estep opened a jewelry store on W. Wellsboro Street. (1945)
Robert Bailey followed in 1970 (1981) and is presently located at 14 S. Main Street. First in corner of former bank building on corner of Main and Wellsboro. Moved to present location when building torn down – at 14 S. Main St. Wm. Waldman Building. In 2004 this is owned and operated by David E. Cummings.
Someone gave us a printout of the Jewelers in Mansfield by Chester Bailey from your website. My husband, Bob Bailey, is the current owner of Bailey Jewelers in Mansfield. We just wanted to correct something. It has Bob as opening the store in 1970. He didn't open it until 1981.