LIBERTY AND UNION TOWNSHIPS.
JONATHAN SEBRING, a native of Berks county, Pennsylvania, settled at Liberty, Tioga county, in 1813, where he became proprietor of the old Block House tavern, succeeding its original landlord, Anthony. He kept this house for many years, entertaining the pioneers and travelers over the Williamson road, and finally erected
on the same site the Liberty Hotel. Mr. Sebring was a shoemaker and carpenter, which trades he followed while conducting the hotel, and also cleared and cultivated a farm. He sold out and went to Wisconsin in 1856, where he resided until his death, in 1879, at the remarkable age of ninety-six years. To Jonathan Sebring and wife were born thirteen children, twelve of whom lived to maturity. He was one of the real pioneers of Liberty, and endured the privations, hardships and trials incident to that period.
ROBERT C. SEBRING, a son of Jonathan Sebring, was born in Liberty, Tioga county, April 5, 1819, and obtained his education in the pioneer schools of his native place. In 1835 he began clerking in his brother John’s store, in Liberty. In 1840 his brother removed to Jersey Shore, Robert C. continuing the business at Liberty until about 1856, when he sold a half interest to William Narber, who subsequently purchased the remaining interest. In 1867 he erected a new store building and formed a partnership with Horace Fellows, who a few weeks later sold his interest to Charles A. Miller and the firm became Sebring & Miller. It so continued until the autumn of 1872, when Mr. Sebring bought out his partner and carried on the business alone one year. He then sold out to Charles A., Nathaniel and Ira Miller and took charge of the Eagle Hotel, which he conducted for two years. In 1875 he engaged in farming, and three years later purchased the Liberty Hotel, formerly owned by his father, which he carried on up to within a short time of his death. In May, 1844, Mr. Sebring married Phoebe Reed, of Trout Run, Lycoming county, who bore him eight children, four of whom are living, viz: John, a resident of Lock Haven; Clara F., wife of C.A. Miller, of Liberty; Mattie, wife of Nathaniel Skinner, of Williamsport, and Grant, of Liberty. Mr. Sebring died May 23, 1884, and his wife, June 21, 1891. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically, he was a Republican, and was also a charter member and Past Grand of Block House Lodge, No. 398, I.O.O.F., of Liberty.
GRANT SEBRING, proprietor of the Sebring House, at Liberty, was born in Liberty borough, Tioga county, March 8, 1865, and is the youngest child of Robert C. Sebring. After completing a common school course, he attended the Williamsport Commercial College. When but fifteen years of age he and his brother John built and conducted the Coleman House, at Morris, Tioga county, where they also carried on a general mercantile business. In 1885 he sold his interest and engaged in farming, which he continued to follow until February, 1888. At that time he purchased his present hotel property, and has since carried on the business successfully. On April 5, 1888, Mr. Sebring married Emma H. Hartsock, a daughter of John Hartsock, who has borne him one child, Clara Belle, deceased. In politics, Mr. Sebring is a Republican, and is a member of the borough council. He is also connected with Block House Lodge, No. 398, I.O.O.F., and Washington Camp, No. 628, P.O.S. of A., of Liberty. Mr Sebring is recognized as a genial and successful landlord, and the Sebring House is not only the leading hotel in the borough, but it is patronized by the majority of the traveling trade.
JOHN SHEFFER, SR., was one of the earliest settlers of Liberty, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, April 30, 1779, the son of a Revolutionary soldier, whose ancestors came from Holland. He was reared in his native country and there learned the tailor’s trade. Mr. Sheffer was
twice married, but his first wife lived only a brief period. June 8, 1802, he married Susannah Reynolds, and soon after removed to Williamsport, Lycoming county. Here he continued working at his trade for several years, or until his appointment as deputy sheriff. While filling that office he became security for a debtor and his property was sold to satisfy the claim. Discouraged and disgusted by such treatment he removed with his family to Liberty township, Tioga county, in February, 1814, and bought of John Norris 150 acres of academy land on what has been since known as “Sheffer Hill”. Here in the midst of an almost unbroken wilderness he erected a rude cabin and began the arduous task of carving a home from the primitive forest. While devoting his principal attention to agriculture he also worked at his trade for the pioneers and did considerable surveying, which business he followed until his death, August 5, 1841. His wife survived him until September, 1860. They were the parents of the following children: John, William, Samuel, Elizabeth, who married William Harmon; Catherine, who married Peter Lutz; Jacob, Polly, Susannah, who married Daniel Miller; Joseph, Mary, Michael, Julia Ann, who married Nicholas Elter; George R., and Sarah. Of these Mrs. Miller, Michael, Mrs. Elter and George R. survive. Mr. Sheffer and wife were members of the Lutheran church. In politics, he was a Democrat, and served as justice of the peace in Liberty for many years.
JOHN SHEFFER, JR., was born in Williamsport, Lycoming county, February 8, 1803, and was a lad of eleven years of age when his parents settled at Liberty, Tioga county. In 1816-17 he carried the mail on horseback between Williamsport and Painted Post, being thus one of the pioneer mail carriers of this section. He afterwards learned the blacksmith’s trade in Williamsport. May 12, 1825, he married Sarah Shaffer, a daughter of John Shaffer, of White Deer valley, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, and the same year opened a blacksmith shop in Liberty, where he carried on business continuously forty-five years, retiring in 1870. To John and Sarah Sheffer were born ten children, viz: George, Henry, Martin, and Philip, the last three of whom are dead; Susan, wife of Charles Hagenbach, of Kansas; Sarah, wife of Jonas Artley, of Bradford, McKean county; George Washington, of Blossburg; Alpheus, of Liberty; Elvina, and Ada, wife of Jabez Hancher, of Liberty. Mr. Sheffer and wife were members of the Lutheran church, and died November 8, 1876, and April 4, 1887, respectively. In politics, he was a stanch Democrat, and served as a school director for many years.
ALPHEUS SHEFFER, youngest son of John Sheffer, Jr., and grandson of John Sheffer, Sr., was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, February 15, 1841. He obtained a common school education, and learned the blacksmith’s trade with his father, with whom he remained from 1857 to 1870, when he started business for himself, in which he still continues. March 8, 1863, he married Jennie, a daughter of Daniel Achenbach, of White Deer valley, Lycoming county, who has borne him five children, viz: Leona, deceased; Kate, wife of John Budd, of Williamsport; Harry G., Jennie, deceased, and Carrie. Harry G. was born November 4, 1868, learned the blacksmith’s trade with his father, which he followed up to 1891, when he began clerking in the Wilcox House, in Towanda, and remained there until 1894. He then secured a position as brakeman on the Northern Central railroad, but is now working with his father. Mr. and Mrs. Sheffer are members of the Lutheran church,
In politics, the family is Democratic, and Mr. Sheffer has filled the offices of constable and school director. He is also a member of Block House Lodge, No. 398, I.O.O.F.
SAMUEL SHEFFER, third son of John Sheffer, Sr., was born in Williamsport, Lycoming county, January 11, 1806, and was eight years old when his parents settled at Liberty, Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood and learned the carpenter’s trade, which business he followed the greater part of his life. He was also a stage driver between Williamsport and Sunbury, and Elmira and Painted Post for several years. He married Susan Kinsman, a daughter of James Kinsman, of Towanda, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, to which union were born eleven children, as follows: James, of Liberty; Harrison, Evan, and Lydia Jane, all of whom are dead; Amanda, wife of George Hartley, of Lycoming county; Theodore, a resident of Decatur county, Iowa; Riland, who lives in Nebraska; Frank, a resident of Millerton, Tioga county; Cornelia and Amelia, residents of Denver, Colorado, and one that died in infancy. Mr. Sheffer died in Liberty, January 31, 1889, while his wife died in Iowa, in 1893. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics, he was a Republican.
JAMES SHEFFER, eldest child of Samuel Sheffer, and grandson of John Sheffer, Sr., was born in Towanda, Bradford county, February 10, 1837. He was reared in Liberty, and learned the carpenter’s and cabinet-maker’s trades with his father. In 1858 he married Elizabeth Caylor, a daughter of Isaac Caylor, of Lycoming county, to which union have been born eight children, viz: Celestia, wife of John Mitchell, of Blossburg; Emma, wife of Joseph Ridge, of Tioga county; Isaac F., Ella, wife of Frank Bastian; Mamie, wife of George Heyler; Alice, Edith and Lela. Mr. Sheffer served in Company F, Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, towards the close of the Rebellion. In 1865 he removed to Iowa, where he lived seven years. He then returned to Tioga county and has since made his home in Liberty borough, where he follows the carpenter’s trade. In politics, he is a Republican, and in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
MICHAEL SHEFFER is the oldest living son of John and Susannah (Reynolds) Sheffer, and was born on Sheffer hill, in Liberty township, Tioga county, November 17, 1821. He was reared upon the homestead farm, spending his boyhood days in the rugged pursuits of clearing off the forest and tilling the soil, the country at that time being a comparative wilderness. In 1839 he went to Williamsport, where he learned the wagon-making trade, remaining there two years. Returning to Liberty he established a shop, and was engaged in the wagon-making business up to within the last few years. September 28, 1843, Mr. Sheffer married Mary E. Cox, a daughter of William Cox, and a sister of Gen. Robert C. Cox, of Wellsboro. Five children were born to this union, as follows: Francis Marion, the present prothonotary of Tioga county; Sarah J., wife of William Woodruff, of Liberty; Warren, who is in the employ of the Arnot Coal company; Edgar, who is engaged in business in Clearfield county, and Robert, who died in infancy. Mr. Sheffer is a stanch Republican and has filled several of the local offices. For more than half a century he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has filled the position of teacher and superintendent of the Sunday-school since its organization. He justly enjoys the confidence and esteem of his neighbors and a wide
circle of friends, and has been a resident of Liberty township for over three-quarters of a century.
FRANCIS MARION SHEFFER, prothonotary of Tioga county, was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, August 17, 1844, a son of Michael and Mary E. (Cox) Sheffer. He was educated in the public schools of Liberty township, and when seventeen years of age entered his father’s shop to learn wagon-making. When twenty-one years old he began life for himself, and worked at his trade in Liberty township until 1881, when he purchased a saw and planing-mill, which he operated until 1889. Mr. Sheffer has always been an ardent Republican and has given an unwavering support to that party. In the autumn of 1864, he enlisted in Company D, Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. While a resident of Liberty, he filled the offices of school director and constable three years each, and that of justice of the peace five years. He was elected sheriff of Tioga county in 1889, served in that office three years, and then returned to his home in Liberty township. In 1893 he was elected prothonotary, and was re-elected in 1896, which position he still occupies. He is one of the most efficient and popular officials in the county, and is quite prominent in the local councils of his party. Mr. Sheffer was married December 28, 1864, to Margaret L. Bastian, a daughter of Benjamin Bastian, of Jackson township, Lycoming county, to which union have been born two children: Leroy W., deceased, and Ada B. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Sheffer belongs to the Masonic order.
CHARLES A. MILLER, merchant, was born in Jackson township, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, January 7, 1840, and there grew to manhood. He obtained a common school education, and subsequently entered the employ of Werline & Miller, merchants of Liberty, Tioga county. At the end of two years he purchased the interest of Mr. Werline, and the firm then became H. Miller & Company. In 1862 this partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Miller worked in saw-mills and at lumbering. In 1864, in connection with Isaac Miller, he built a saw-mill at Roaring Branch, which they operated until 1867, when he sold out to his partner. He then entered the employ of Sebring & Fellows, general merchants at Liberty, and one month later bought the interest of Mr. Fellows and continued as a member of the firm of Sebring & Miller until 1872. In that year he sold out to R.C. Sebring and removed to his farm in Jackson township, Lycoming county, but in 1873 purchased the Sebring store, in partnership with his brothers, Nathaniel and Ira, and carried on the business up to 1877, when his brothers sold out to G.T. Werline. Mr. Werline continued as a partner until 1883, since which time Mr. Miller has conducted the business alone, being to-day the leading merchant of the borough. Mr. Miller has met with considerable losses during his business career. In 1865 his mill and boom were swept away, and December 5, 1879, his store was destroyed by fire. His safe has been robbed three times, and he also suffered much loss by the great June flood. Notwithstanding these reverses, Mr. Miller is to-day the owner of one of the leading business houses in Tioga county, as well as one of its most substantial citizens. On July 15, 1869, he married Clara F. Sebring, a daughter of Robert C. Sebring, of Liberty, to which union have been born four children, viz: Merton R., Phoebe Belle, wife of George C. McVoy, of Carney, Michigan; Minnie M., wife of Fred E. Baird, and Fred B. Mr. Miller is an enthusiastic Republican. He was appointed
postmaster of Liberty until President Harrison’s administration and served nearly five years. He has also filled the offices of justice of the peace, school director and auditor. In 1896 he was chosen as one of the Republican delegates to the state convention at Harrisburg. He is a Past Grand of Block House Lodge, No. 398, I.O.O.F., and is also a member of Washington Camp, No. 628, P.O.S. of A.
MERTON R. MILLER, eldest child of Charles A. Miller, was born in Liberty, Tioga county, April 7, 1870, and obtained his education in the common schools and at Williamsport Commercial College, from which institution he graduated in 1889. He afterwards took a special course in stenography and typewriting, and then entered his father’s store in Liberty, where he has remained up to the present. Mr. Miller is an ardent Republican, and has filled the positions of auditor, inspector, clerk and chairman of the vigilance committee. He is a member of Arnot Lodge, No. 465, K. of P., of Arnot; Washington Camp, No. 628, P.O.S. of A., of Liberty, and is also connected with the L.A.W. and the Williamsport Turn Verein.
WILLIAM F. WESEMAN, M.D., is a native of Goettengen, Kingdom of Hanover, Germany, where he was born December 23, 1822. He father, Frederick Weseman, was a prominent government official, and a member of a leading German family. William F. spent his boyhood in the University of Hanover, and at the age of twenty-two entered the Medical University at Goettengen, where he pursued a full course of study. When twenty-five years of age he came to the United States and commenced the practice of medicine in the Mahanoy valley, Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, where he remained four years. In 1852 he located in Liberty, Tioga county, and during the succeeding twelve years built up a large practice. On September 8, 1864, Dr. Weseman was commissioned by Governor Curtin quartermaster of the Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, with the rank of first lieutenant, and served with his regiment until the close of the war, being mustered out May 31, 1865. He then resumed practice in Liberty, which he continued up to a recent date, when he retired from the active duties thereof. Dr. Weseman has been very successful in his profession, enjoyed an extensive practice, and was held in high esteem because of his medical skill and kind attention at the bedside of the suffering. He is a member of the G.A.R., and one of the oldest physicians in Tioga county, where he has lived for nearly half a century.
DANIEL HARTSOCK was born in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania, in September, 1806. His parents removed to Williamsport a few years later, and when Daniel was seven years old they located in Jackson township, Lycoming county, where he grew to manhood. He married Magdalena Brion, whose parents were early settlers of that locality, and in 1830 removed to Liberty township, Tioga county, where both he and wife resided until death. They were the parents of twelve children, seven of whom are living, as follows: Christina, widow of James McVoy; Richard H., a resident of Liberty; George, Mary, wife of John Raker; Elizabeth, wife of Sylvester Keeler; Harriet, wife of Seth Wilson, of Nebraska; Jacob, deceased; Levi, Samuel, Daniel and Henry, the last three of whom are dead. Mr. Hartsock died in 1885, and his wife in 1880. They were members of the Lutheran church, and in politics, he was a Republican. At the time of his death Mr. Hartsock was one of the largest land owners in Liberty township.
RICHARD H. HARTSOCK, oldest son of Daniel Hartsock, was born in Liberty
township, Tioga county, December 11, 1832, and was reared on the homestead farm. At the age of twenty-one he engaged in merchandising at Liberty, which business he followed for three years, and then began dealing in wild lands in connection with farming. In 1881 he established a general store in Liberty, which business he continued for eleven years. In 1892 he embarked in the milling business, followed it for two years, and then engaged in stock and grain dealing, which he has continued up to the present. In politics, Mr. Hartsock is a stanch Republican, and is one of the oldest and most substantial citizens of his native place.
FREDERICK HEYLER came from Stuttgart, Germany, about 1818, and settled on a farm in Liberty township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He was married in Germany to Dora Goodschmert, who bore him nine children, as follows: Frederick, Mary, who married Henry Kohn, of Lycoming county; Catherine, who married John Linck, of Morris; Jackson, deceased; John, Daniel, deceased; Mina, who married Fred Boger; Caroline, who married Jacob Gleckner, and Gottlieb. In politics, Mr. Heyler was a Democrat, and in religion, a member of the Lutheran church. He died in November, 1881, and his wife in May, 1876.
JOHN HEYLER was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, in September, 1826, a son of Frederick Heyler, and has spent his entire life in his native township, engaged in agricultural pursuits. On May 11, 1852, he married Elizabeth Boger, who became the mother of nine children, as follows: Julia Ann, wife of William Snyder; Johanna, wife of Samuel Maneval; Mary Ann, wife of John Mayer, of South Dakota; Joseph, who married Annie Smith; Samuel, who married Annie Purham; John, who lives in South Dakota; Edwin and Emma, both of whom live in South Dakota, and Titus, who lives with his parents. Mr. Heyler is a stanch Democrat, and is a member of the Lutheran church.
JOHN FICK was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, a son of John Fick, who removed from Berks county to Northumberland county in 1793. In 1825 the family came to Liberty township, Tioga county, where the father died in 1863. At the age of twenty-four Mr. Fick left home and lumbered for two years along Big Pine creek, and later worked two years on the Tioga railroad, from Mansfield to Berry’s bridge. He subsequently bought a farm in Liberty township, on which he lived until 1890, when he sold out and moved to Liberty borough. He reared a family of four sons, viz: Levi J., Huling J., Perly H. and Albert L.; also an adopted daughter, Mary S., who married Abraham L. Monroe, of Delmar township. Mr. Fick has retired from active labor and is spending the evening of his life with his son, Albert L., of Liberty, being now seventy-seven years old. In religion, he is a Lutheran, and in politics, an adherent of the Democratic party.
PERLY H. FICK, third son of John Fick, was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, July 27, 1857. He was reared on his father’s farm and attended the common schools of the district. At the age of twenty-one he began lumbering, which business he continued for eight years. He then went to Detroit, Michigan, worked at house-painting in that State for three years, at the end of which period he returned to Tioga county and bought his father’s farm. He farmed for one year, then sold out and worked at house-painting for two years, when he purchased a tract of land in Pine township, Lycoming county, where he engaged in clearing the land and lumbering. In the spring of 1895 he bought a small place a mile and a half from
Liberty borough, where he follows farming and painting as an occupation. In politics, he is a Democrat. Mr. Fick was married in Wellsboro, May 2, 1890, to Delila A. Boswell, a daughter of Richard E. Boswell. Her father was a native of Conway, Stafford county, New Hampshire, and settled at English Centre, Lycoming county, where Mrs. Fick was born November 9, 1854. She is the mother of one daughter, Katherine May, born July 8, 1893, the only grandchild in the family.
PETER MANEVAL emigrated from Wurtemburg, Germany, in 1828, and settled in Liberty township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. His parents, Peter Maneval and wife, came a short time afterwards and located close to their son. Both Peter and his father were stocking weavers, which trade they followed in their native land. Our subject was the eldest in a family of four children, viz: Peter, Jacob, Louis and John. The father died in 1834, while the mother survived until 1856, living to the ripe age of ninety-two years. The subject of this sketch was married in Germany, but his wife died soon after coming to this county, leaving four children, viz: David, deceased; Charles, who lives in Lycoming county; Peter, deceased, and Jacob, a resident of Salladasburg, Lycoming county. Mr. Maneval married for his second wife, Maria Kopp, of Liberty, who became the mother of five children, as follows: Mary, wife of Jacob Essick, of Blossburg; Susan, Catharine, widow of Henry Root; John, of Liberty, and Elizabeth, wife of James Morehouse. In politics, Mr. Maneval was a Democrat, and in religion, a Lutheran. He died in 1856, and his wife in 1889.
DAVID MANEVAL, eldest child of Peter Maneval, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, in October, 1817, and was eleven years old when his parents settled in Liberty, Tioga county, where he grew to manhood. In 1837 he married Elizabeth Boger, a daughter of Jacob Boger, who bore him a family of thirteen children, as follows: Peter, a resident of Ohio; Rosanna, wife of Michael Heyd, of Lycoming county; Benjamin, of Liberty township; Daniel, who lives in Williamsport; Edward, deceased; Aaron, a resident of Ohio; Mary, deceased wife of Albert Douglas; Catherine and David, both deceased; James, who lives in Denver, Colorado; Wilson, a resident of Clearfield county; Elizabeth, wife of Charles Cowden, of Williamsport, and one that died in early youth. In politics, Mr. Maneval was originally a Democrat, but joined the Republican party in 1860. He filled the offices of supervisor, school director and collector in Mifflin township, Lycoming county, and spent his entire life engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was a member of the Evangelical Protestant church. His death occurred in August, 1864, and that of his wife, in November, 1890. He removed to Lycoming county in 1846, where he spent the remaining years of his life.
BENJAMIN MANEVAL, second son of David Maneval, and grandson of Peter Maneval, was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, April 8, 1842, and was four years old when the family removed to Lycoming county. He there grew to maturity and learned the blacksmith’s trade at Linden, Lycoming county, and Turbottville, Northumberland county. He worked at his trade in those two counties until the spring of 1865, when he returned to Liberty township, Tioga county, settled at Nauvoo, and has since followed blacksmithing and farming at that place. January 1, 1865, he married Mary Linck, of Morris township, who has borne him five children, viz: Elizabeth, wife of Freemont Russell, of Omaha, Nebraska; Charles E., William H., Lydia May, and one that died in infancy. Mr. Maneval is a stanch Republican,
has served as a school director, and in religion, is an adherent of the Evangelical Protestant church. He is one of the prosperous and progressive citizens of his native township.
WILLIAM H. MANEVAL, youngest son of Benjamin Maneval, was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, July 11, 1871. After attending the common schools of the district, he settled down on the homestead farm, where he has remained up to the present. He is an ardent Republican, and is now filling the office of school director. In 1896 he was a candidate for county commissioner, and considering the number of candidates in the field, he received a flattering vote. Mr. Maneval is a member of the Union church at Nauvoo.
LEWIS MOYER was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, in 1829, a son of Jacob Moyer, a native of the same place. His father immigrated to Pennsylvania, remained a short time at Mauch Chunk, and in 1831 came to Liberty township, Tioga county, and settled near the old “Block House.” Here he spent the remaining years of his life, dying at the age of seventy-five. Lewis was but two years old when his parents settled in Liberty township. He was reared on the homestead farm, and attended the common schools of his district. In 1854 he married Mary Kopp, a daughter of John Kopp, of Liberty township, to which union have been born seven children, as follows: Henry L., Minerva, wife of John S. Brion, who has three sons, Edwin, Charles and Iver; Almina, deceased; Ida C., wife of George D. James, a native of Derbyshire, England, who lives in Liberty township; William W., Edmond and one that died in infancy. On February 21, 1865, Mr. Moyer enlisted in Company D, Ninety-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was discharged from the service at Washington, D.C., June 29, 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Moyer are members of the Evangelical church. In politics, he is a Democrat, and one of the substantial farmers of the township.
ALEXANDER HARVEY was born in Scotland, in 1820, and immigrated to the United States in the early sixties. He spent a short time in the Pittsburg region and then located at Arnot, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, before the railroad was completed into that now famous coal field. He was among the pioneers of what is now one of the leading coal fields in Pennsylvania. Mr. Harvey was a good citizen, and was widely known for his honesty, integrity and originality. He had a family of ten sons and one daughter, all of whom were in the employ of Arnot Coal Company. Seven sons and one daughter are living, viz: Four sons in Arnot, one in Alaska, one in Colorado, and one in Farrandsville, Clinton county, while the daughter lives on the homestead farm in Liberty township with her widowed mother, who still retains a strong and vigorous constitution at the age of seventy-six years. Prior to the death of two sons, one of whom was killed in Colorado and the other in the woods near Arnot, it was no uncommon thing to see the parents and their eleven children all together at the home farm. Through the frugal habits of Mrs. Harvey, they finally saved enough to purchase a good farm of 320 acres in Liberty township, Tioga county, and there Mr. Harvey passed his declining years, after being connected with mining for half a century. He died on his farm in Liberty, January 9, 1895, and was interred beside his three sons in Blossburg cemetery. The family were all ardent Republicans, and in 1880 Mr. Harvey and his ten sons marched to the polls
and voted for James A. Garfield for president, an event which brought their names into local prominence.
The oldest son, John C. Harvey, is perhaps the best known of the children. He has traveled extensively before locating in Tioga county, and induced the family to come to the coal region. He became well known over Tioga county, especially in political and labor circles, and his advice was keenly sought in all mining troubles. He was foremost in the memorable fight for the establishment of check-weighmen on the tipples, in opposition to the Erie Railroad Company. He has always been a stanch Republican, and his influence in the coal region was recognized by the local party leaders. Mr. Harvey is now employed with the famous Farrandsville Fire Brick Company, of Farrandsville, Clinton county. He claims that Tioga county is underlaid with as good fire clay as exists in the State. He has been employed on several occasions to trace the fire clay strata from the West Branch and Scootac regions to the borders of Tioga county. This he hopes to see developed in the near future, and Blossburg become one of the fire brick centers of Pennsylvania.
SAMUEL HARTMAN was born in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, August 25, 1823, a son of Samuel Hartman, Sr. His father was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, January 4, 1791, there grew to manhood, and in 1821 married Margaret Miller, of Selins Grove, Snyder county. They soon after removed to Williamsport, and in 1826 settled in Jackson township, Lycoming county, where both spent the remaining years of their lives. Their family consisted of the following children: Jacob, Samuel, Jonas H., Catherine, who married Nicholas Fessler; Mrs. Harriet N. Baird, who lives in New Jersey; Henry, who died at Fort Scott, Kansas; Sarah A., who married Daniel Hartman; Julia A., who married C. Meaker; Margaret, who married Charles Harman, of Wisconsin; M.D., who lives at Fort Scott, Kansas, and Eliza C., widow of Rev. T. Morris, of Williamsport. The subject of this sketch was three years old when his parents located in Jackson Township, Lycoming county. He spent his boyhood on the homestead in that township, and at the age of twenty-three married Mary A. Werline, a daughter of Isaac Werline, of Liberty township, Tioga county. In March, 1861, Mr. Hartman located in Liberty, where he soon afterwards engaged in the drug and mercantile business, which he followed until 1892, when he retired from active labor. Mr. and Mrs. Hartman have reared several adopted children, viz: Catherine Werline, Joseph W. Hartman, a nephew, who enlisted in the army at the age of fifteen; Thomas Hartman, Della Applegate, Mary and Isabella. Mr. Hartman has been identified with the churches and Sabbath-schools of Liberty for many years, and has also filled the offices of school director and treasurer.
GEORGE BECK was one of the oldest citizens in Liberty township at the time of his death, November 13, 1896. He was born in Jackson township, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, July 9, 1817, a son of Daniel Beck, who came from Mauch Chunk, Pennsylvania, in 1813-14, and settled on a farm in Jackson township, Lycoming county. His grandfather, Andrew Beck, came to the United States from Neidergelheim, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, at an early day, and settled in the coal regions, whence the family removed to Lycoming county, locating in Jackson township, south of the old “Block House.” The subject of this sketch was left an orphan at the age of two years, attended the common schools of his native township in boyhood,
and assisted his grandfather, Miller, in the duties of the farm. At the age of eighteen he went to Williamsport, where he followed blacksmithing three years. In 1839 he purchased 100 acres of land, a part of the old homestead, and began farming. In 1844 he married Catherine Taylor, of Muncy, Lycoming county, who became the mother of nine children, as follows: Jonas D., of Liberty; L.H., of Elmira; John S., a farmer of Cogan House township, Lycoming county; George W., deceased; Uriah G., a dentist of Elmira; Warren F., also a resident of that city; Mary Margaret, deceased; one that died in infancy, and William B., who died at the age of twenty-two years. Several members of the family are well known inventors and patentees. Jonas D. has invented and patented a machinist’s vise; also invented an automatic boiler-feeder which keeps the water at any height desired without waste of steam or fuel, and an electric light. L.H., Uriah G. and Warren F. are the inventors of the Eureka Cash Register and Pass Book System, now established at Scranton, Pennsylvania, in which they sold their interest, and later invented the Standard Pass Book System, since succeeded by the Standard Account System, now established in Elmira, New York, with a capital of $50,000. L.H. Beck is employed by the Standard Account Company, successor of the Standard Pass Book Company, in which he and his brothers are financially interested as patentees. George Beck spent nearly his entire life in agricultural pursuits, but finally retired from active labor to enjoy the fruits of his industry. At the time of his death he was one of the oldest and most respected citizens of the community.
HENRY YOUDIS was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, May 8, 1858, a son of Frederick and Christina (Weaver) Youdis. His father was born in Germany, in 1819, and came to Lycoming county with his parents when but nine years old. They settled in Jackson township, where Frederick grew to maturity. He was twice married. By his marriage to Christina Weaver, a daughter of Henry Weaver, were born three children: Sena, wife of Levi Hartsock; Henry, of Liberty township, and George, who lives in Jackson township, Lycoming county. Frederick’s second wife was Lizzie Callenback, of Lycoming county, who bore him three children, viz: Sarah, Mina and Charles. He was a Republican in politics, and a Lutheran in religion. He died in February, 1890. Henry was reared in Jackson township, there attended the common schools, and worked on the homestead farm until his marriage. On February 11, 1884, he married Laura Hartsock, a daughter of R.H. Hartsock, of Liberty township, and settled upon the farm where he still resides. They are the parents of three children: Manie, Mervin and Clair. Mr. Youdis is an independent voter, supporting men rather than party. He makes a specialty of stock raising and sugar making, in which branches of agriculture he has been quite successful.
JOHN DUFF was born in Bonny Bridge, Sterlingshire, Scotland, in 1838. His father was a sergeant in the British army, and some of his ancestors fought against Napoleon. In possession of the Duff family is a pair of eye glasses of peculiar make, encased in a tortoise shell frame, which belonged to a grand uncle of Mr. Duff. They were used by General Abercrombie in his Egyptian campaign, and are highly prized by the Duff family. They also own an ancient Bible, published in Scotland. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native land, and was there married in 1868, to Jane Shaw, a daughter of David Shaw, of Dumbartonshire. In 1881 he
he came to the United States with his two sons, and stopped a few days in Fall Brook, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He then went to Arnot and found employment with the Tioga Railroad Company. Here his wife joined him in April, 1882. He remained with the Tioga Railroad Company about one year, and later found employment with the Blossburg Coal Company, for which he worked three or four years. At the end of this time he purchased a farm in Liberty township, Tioga county, and has since devoted his attention to agriculture in connection with mining and other pursuits. To Mr. and Mrs. Duff were born four children, viz: James, born in Scotland, February 2, 1870, who is engaged in mining and farming; David S. and John H., twins, born in Scotland, June 4, 1872, both of whom are engaged in mining, and Jessie G., born February 9, 1874, who lives at home. In religion, the family are Presbyterians, and in politics, adherents of the Republican party. They are also members of Sebring Grange, No. 1047, P. of H. Mrs. Duff died March 6, 1894.
MICHAEL McMAHON was born in County Clare, Ireland, January 6, 1838, a son of Michael McMahon, also a native of Ireland, who immigrated to the United States in 1848. His father was a distant relative of Marshal McMahon, of France, commander of the French forces under Napoleon, and subsequently president of the French Republic. He settled in Elmira, New York, where he lived two years, engaged in farming and working on what was then known as the New York and Lake Erie railroad. In 1850 he came to Jackson township, Tioga county, in which year his wife and six children came to the United States. The subject of this sketch was then twelve years old. He had attended the common schools of his native land, and afterwards went to the academy at Troy, Pennsylvania. In 1853 he located in Elmira, and followed farming and railroading. In 1862 he came to Nauvoo, Liberty township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in general merchandising, removing in 1867 to the farm on which he now resides. From 1868 to 1870 he was engaged in the mercantile business in Liberty, during which time he also followed farming, and did considerable lumbering in Jackson and Pine townships, Lycoming county. He introduced and bred what was known as the “Clay” or “McMahon” horses in Tioga county, and was also a breeder of fine cattle. In 1883 he married Minda Reed, a daughter of Isaac Reed, of Liberty township, Tioga county, and has one son, Michael K., born July 5, 1885. In politics, Mr. McMahon is a Republican.
WILLIAM H. LEISENRING is a native of Liberty township, Tioga county, where he was born May 4, 1844. After quitting school he went to Seneca Falls, New York, and learned the machinist’s trade with John A. Rumsey & Company, at which he worked until December 28, 1861. He then enlisted in Company A, Thirty-third New York Volunteers, became color bearer, and served until March 27, 1862, when he was discharged, but immediately re-enlisted in Company A, Third New York Volunteers. He served in this regiment until February 9, 1863, when he was again discharged, and again enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-eighth New York Volunteers for the three years’ service. He participated in all the battles and skirmishes in which his command took part, including the operations against Petersburg and Richmond, Swift Creek, Proctor’s Creek, Drury’s Bluff, Bermuda Hundred, and Cold Harbor, where he received a sabre wound, and also five gunshot
wounds in the right side and leg. He was subsequently confined in the hospital at Portsmouth Grove, Rhode Island, from June, 1864, until July, 1865, when he was honorably discharged and returned to his home in Liberty township. March 24, 1868, Mr. Leisenring married Lodiaskia Emick, of Liberty, to which union have been born seven children, viz: Matilda, wife of Wesley Lloyd, of Blackwells, Tioga county; H.W., F.L., Hannah A. and John E., both deceased; Rolla R. and Mary Lydia. In politics, Mr. Leisenring is a stanch Republican, and is a member of King Brothers Post, No. 288, G.A.R., of Liberty. He is also a member of Guyon Lodge, No. 16, F. & A.M., of Seneca Falls, New York.
CHARLES F. HEYLER was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, March 1, 1862, was reared in his native township, and received a common school education. His father was a butcher, and Charles F. assisted him in that business for twelve years. In 1887 he went to Towanda, Bradford county, where he learned the tailor’s trade, which business he worked at in that place for seven years. In 1894 he returned to Liberty, and has since devoted his attention to his trade in that borough. In politics, Mr. Heyler is a stanch Republican, and in religion, a member of the Evangelical Protestant church. He is also connected with Washington Camp, No. 628, P.O.S. of A., of Liberty.
SAMUEL LOUDENSLAGER was born in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, there grew to manhood, and spent his entire life in his native State. He married Mary Kevel, to which union were born fourteen children, two of whom died in infancy. The living are as follows: Henry, George, Adaline, who married John Shugar; Ellis, Wesley, Oscar, Clarence, Elmer, Daniel, Alice, Emma and Cora. Mr. Loudenslager resided on his farm in Liberty township up to his death, in 1888. His widow is living on the old homestead.
BENJAMIN IRVIN was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, in 1801, a son of David and Mary (Sechler) Irvin. His father was born in the North of Ireland in 1774, came to the United States when about twenty-five years old, and located in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania. He was married in that county to Mary Sechler, operated a distillery for several years, and finally removed to the far west, where he died. Benjamin was educated in the common schools, and followed the manufacture of charcoal. He married Prudence Dunbar, and reared the following children: John, of Lawrenceville; Samuel, deceased; Martha, deceased wife of Leroy Gleason; William, a resident of Big Run, Jefferson county; David, a merchant of Union township, Tioga county; Elizabeth, wife of Augustus Veil, of Jefferson county; Alexander, who died in youth; Charles, who enlisted in the Twelfth Illinois Volunteers and was killed at Fort Donelson; Emeline, who died in youth; James, who enlisted in the Eighth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and died while in the service, and Benjamin F., postmaster of Scranton, Kansas. Benjamin Irvin and family removed from Lehigh to Lycoming county in 1849-50, where they lived a few years. He then purchased a farm in Union township, Tioga county, and resided there until his death in March, 1891. In religion, he was a member of the Disciples church, and in politics, a Republican.
JOHN IRVIN was born in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, Mar 24, 1830, grew to manhood in Lehigh and Lycoming counties, and obtained a common school education. When twenty-one years of age he engaged as foreman in a lumber contact
on Pine creek, which position he filled for six years. He next spent three years as a charcoal contactor for an iron factory in Lycoming county. Later he opened a store in Ogdensburg, Union township, Tioga county, and operated the same until the fall of 1861. On August 27, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, in which he was commissioned second lieutenant. His brothers, Samuel, William and David, were in the same company. Mr. Irvin participated in all the engagements in which his regiment took part, was promoted to first lieutenant of Company D, and later to captain of Company B, and finally commissioned major. He was wounded at the battle of Gettysburg, and was mustered out in October, 1864, but was retained to take command of the One Hundred and Sixth Battalion. After three months he was discharged by a general order, affecting all officers who had served three years. Returning to Tioga county, he resumed merchandising at Ogdensburg, where he also built and operated a steam saw-mill until the fall of 1891, when he was elected sheriff of Tioga county, a position he filled for three years. He then located in Lawrenceville, where he has since lived. On January 1, 1855, Mr. Irvin was married to Betsey A. Barker, a daughter of Ambrose and Mary Barker, of Union township. Five children were born to this marriage, viz: Martha, deceased wife of V.W. Sheffer; Mary, wife of Henry Veil, of Williamsport; Emma, who died in infancy; Myrtie, wife of Curtis Treat, of Elmira, and Minnie, wife of Eli Roberts, of Lawrence township. Mrs. Irvin died in Lawrenceville, December 6, 1896, a consistent member of the Church of Christ. Mr. Irvin is a member of the F. & A.M., the I.O.O.F., and the K. of P., and is also connected with the Union Veteran Legion and the G.A.R. In politics, he is a Republican, and has always taken an active interest in public affairs.
JOHN GREEN was one of the lumber operators in this section of Pennsylvania forty years ago. He was a native of Westchester county, New York, born in 1785, a son of Isaiah and Elizabeth (Furman) Green, natives of the same State. His father was a farmer near the famous “Sleepy Hollow,” in Westchester county, and reared a family of seven children, viz: William, John, Fannie, Amy, Rhoda, Jacob and Samuel. The subject of this sketch received a good education, and subsequently secured a position as clerk in a wholesale house in New York City. After a short time he became proprietor of a large store in that city, which he afterward sold and opened stores at New Bedford, Massachusetts, and Poughkeepsie, New York, where he carried on business successfully up to 1836. In that year he sold his business interests and purchased a farm near Poughkeepsie, on which he lived five years. In 1841 he disposed of this property and came to Williamsport, Pennsylvania. He had purchased 20,000 acres of timber lands in Lycoming county in 1828, 15,000 of which he had sold prior to his settlement in Williamsport. He was the incorporator of and a large stockholder in the Red Run Coal Company at Roaring Branch, and also owned and operated a saw-mill at that point. He finally removed from Williamsport to Roaring Branch, where the remaining years of his life were passed. Mr. Green married Eliza Shearman, a daughter of David Shearman, who bore him a family of nine children, as follows: Ann and Elizabeth, both of whom died in youth; David, a prominent surveyor and later in the employ of the United States treasury department, who died in 1878; Mary, who lives with her brother, Charles S.; John R., who died in childhood; Charles S., a resident of Roaring Branch;
John B., who lives in the same village; Montgomery, deceased; Hannah T., who makes her home with Charles S., and Henry C., superintendent of the lumber department of the Red Run Coal Company, at Ralston. Mr. Green died at Roaring Branch, in December, 1866, and his wife in Williamsport, in March, 1861.
CHARLES S. GREEN is the second oldest living child of John and Eliza Green, and one of the prominent and successful lumber dealers in northern Pennsylvania. He was born in Poughkeepsie, New York, July 6, 1829, there attended the public schools in boyhood, and completed his education at what is now Dickinson Seminary, in Williamsport, then a private school for boys. Soon after leaving school he began clerking in a drug store in Williamsport, going one year later to New York City, where for two years he continued the same occupation. Removing to New Bedford, Massachusetts, he clerked in a book store for eleven years, thus obtaining a thorough knowledge of the mercantile business. In June, 1855, he came to Roaring Branch, where he erected a mill for the manufacture of shingles, barrel staves and heading, and two years later opened a general store, which he carried on up to 1883. In 1891 he re-opened the Red Run Coal Company’s mines, at Ralston, of which he is general manager, and where the company also carry on an extensive lumber business. Soon afterwards the Ralston Brick Company was organized for the manufacture of dry pressed brick from clay found in the Red Run mines, in which Mr. Green is largely interested and treasurer of the company. His lumber business at Roaring Branch consists in the manufacture and sale of all kinds of hemlock and hard wood lumber. In 1871 he built his handsome residence on the hill overlooking the beautiful valley of Roaring Branch, and it is a model of comfort and convenience. The family are members of the Society of Friends, and in politics, Mr. Green is a Republican. He is one of the wealthy and substantial citizens of Tioga county, in which he has lived for more than forty years.
GEORGE E. TRIPP was born in Washington county, New York, July 12, 1825, obtained a common school education, and subsequently engaged in farming and lumbering. On February 11, 1855, he married Mahala Austin, of New York state, who bore him one daughter, Alice, now the wife of William Dann, of Ogdensburg, Tioga county. Mr. Tripp came to Tioga county in 1858, and in 1861 enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers. At the end of one year he was discharged on account of disability, but in 1864 he again enlisted, this time in Company G, Two Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was wounded at Fort Fisher and sent to Mercy Hospital, in New York City, where he remained for one year, and was finally discharged in May, 1865. He has never fully recovered from the effects of the wound, being almost as helpless as a child, but is still proud of the fact that it was received while fighting for his country. In politics, he is a stanch Republican, and in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Tripp is also connected with Ingram Post, No. 91, G.A.F., of Canton.
ENOCH BLACKWELL, SR., was born and reared in Haven Parish, Gloucestershire, England. In 1805 he came to the United States as one of a colony of settlers organized by Rev. John Hey, Philadelphia, for the purpose of settling on certain lands in Pine township, Lycoming county, the lands located upon being still known as the “English Settlement.” He died at Jersey Shore in 1816, while on a business trip. He was twice married, his first wife being Mary Perrine, of Haven Parish, who bore him the following children: John, who came to America with his parents and died in Bradford county, Pennsylvania; William, the founder of Blackwells, Tioga county; Enoch, who died in England; Nancy, who married Henry Tomb; Sarah, who married John Gamble; Phoebe, who married Joel Shearer and settled in Rock county, Illinois, and Hannah, who became the wife of Eben Haydock, of New Campbell, a pioneer of Nelson township, Tioga county. The children of the second marriage were Enoch, afterwards a prominent citizen of Nelson, and Mary, who married Robert Campbell, of the same township.
WILLIAM BLACKWELL, second son of Enoch and Mary Blackwell, was born in Haven Parish, Gloucestershire, England, June 21, 1790. He came to the United States in 1804, preceding his parents one year. He rejoined them on their arrival at Philadelphia, and settled in Pine township, Lycoming county. In 1811 he purchased from his father 120 acres of land on Pine creek, in Tioga county, both above and below the mouth of Babb’s creek, on which he located in 1817, and became the founder of the village of Blackwells. He engaged in cutting and rafting square timber down Pine creek and the Susquehanna, which business he followed many years. In 1815 he married Sarah Morrison, of Lycoming county, who became the mother of seven children, viz: Mary Ann, who married Robert Steele, of Delmar; George and Enoch, residents of Blackwells; John, deceased; William, a physician of Blackwells; James, of Morris township, and Sarah, widow of Gurdon Steele, of Delmar. Mr. Blackwell died December 6, 1859, and his wife, in January, 1881, aged eighty-six years.
ENOCH BLACKWELL, second son of William Blackwell, and grandson of Enoch Blackwell, Sr., was born at Blackwells, Tioga county, January 29, 1824. He obtained a common school education, and since arriving at manhood has been extensively engaged in lumbering, merchandising and farming. He is still in the lumber business, and pursues a busy life. Mr. Blackwell was married October 3, 1847, to Mary E. Webster, a daughter of Sylvester and Tamar Webster, of Liberty township, to which union were born the following children: Horace W., a resident of Morris township; Clara Ann, wife of William H. Walters, of Pine township, Lycoming county; Thomas, a resident of Blackwells; Addie, wife of Henry Tidd, of Pine township; Eugene and Sylvester, of Blackwells; Harriet, wife of William Plank, of Morris township, and Miles, a merchant of Morris. Mrs. Blackwell died March 23, 1894, and he was again married, June 26, 1895, to Matilda Callahan, widow of Perry Callahan, of Delmar township. Mr. Blackwell has devoted most of his life to lumbering, and has followed every department of that business, from scaler of logs to mill owner and operator. He was also engaged in merchandising at Blackwells for a number of years. Politically, a stanch Republican, he has filled various township offices, and was postmaster at Blackwells from 1862 to 1886. He is recognized as one of the representative citizens of his native county.
AUGUSTUS G. SEAMAN was born near Unadilla, Otsego county, New York, April 26, 1821, a son of William and Mary Seaman. His father was a native of England and his mother of Connecticut, and pioneer settlers of Otsego county. Their children were named as follows: Benjamin S., deceased; Mary Ann, deceased wife of William Baisley; Mrs. Sarah Davis, deceased; William, who resides in Otsego county; Augustus G., of Morris township; Serena M., deceased wife of Joseph Hopkins; Marietta, wife of Edward Bowen; James, a resident of Chenango county, New York; Catherine L., wife of Francis Walker; Cyrus, a resident of Unadilla, and Adeline, wife of Edward Granger. The parents died on the homestead in Otsego county, the father at the age of seventy-seven, and the mother at the age of sixty-six. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1844, settling on fifty acres of land in Morris township, near the Lycoming county line, to which he has since added a tract of fifty acres. He has devoted his attention to farming and lumbering. On December 24, 1846, he married Louisa Childs, a daughter of Richard and Margaret Childs, and has one son, William W. In politics, Mr. Seaman is a Republican, and has filled the offices of supervisor, collector and school director in Morris township. He is a well known and highly esteemed citizen of Morris and one of its oldest living residents.
WILLIAM W. SEAMAN, only child of August G. and Louisa Seaman, was born on the homestead farm in Morris township, Tioga county, April 9, 1848. He attended the common schools of his district and devoted himself to farming and lumbering until 1880, when he engaged in exploring for coal in Clearfield, Jefferson and Centre counties, for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, achieving marked success and earning a well-deserved reputation in that line. Mr. Seaman also purchased the option of 60,000 acres of coal lands near Clearfield, and later associated with him Hon. William A. Wallace, of Clearfield, and Hon. S. R. Peale, of Lock Haven, and they organized the Clearfield Bituminous Coal company, which owned 35,000 acres of land and had a capital stock of $5,000,000, upon which at present the Beech Creek and New York Central railroads carry on their soft coal operations, in Clearfield and Centre counties. In 1895 he returned to his farm in Morris township and has since been engaged in farming and lumbering. Mr. Seaman was married September 17, 1865, to Annie Irwin, a daughter of Henry Irwin. She died in 1881. In 1883 he married Lillie Boyer, a daughter of Samuel and Angeline Boyer, of Centre county. To this union have been born eight children, all of whom are living, viz: Louisa, W. A., Angeline, Samuel, Florence, Lillie, Richard and Landrus. Mr. Seaman is one of the largest land owners in Tioga county, his lands lying in both Tioga and Lycoming. Much of it is covered with hemlock, pine and hard-wood timber and is very valuable. His lumbering operations are extensive and he ranks among the substantial business men and leading farmers of the county. On October 5, 1894, his fine residence, which cost $12,000 was destroyed by fire. In the summer of 1896 he erected his present residence at a cost of $14,000. In politics, Mr. Seaman is a Republican, and in 1896 was one of the conferees of Tioga county that met at Williamsport and nominated Hon. Horace B. Packer for Congress. He has also filled the offices of school director, supervisor and justice of the peace, and is a citizen of commendable enterprise and public spirit.
SYLVESTER WEBSTER was born at Athens, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, in 1804, a son of Aaron and Mary Elizabeth (Campbell) Webster. His parents removed from Bradford county to the Cowanesque valley, Tioga county, a few years after his birth, where his father operated a tannery until his death, in 1812. Aaron Webster was the father of three children, viz: Maria, who married William Emmick; Lyman, who settled in one of the western States, and Sylvester. His widow married William Babb, a son of Samson Babb, the pioneer settler of Morris township. The subject of this sketch learned the carpenter’s trade and became a miller. He erected a saw-mill and a grist-mill at Nauvoo, Tioga county, for Jeremiah Black at an early day. In 1824 he married Tamar Emmick, to whom were born six children, viz: J. E., of Morris township; Mary Elizabeth, deceased wife of Enoch Blackwell, of Blackwells; Lydia Jane, deceased wife of George Clark, of Brown township, Lycoming county; Arminta, wife of James Morrison, of Cedar Run; Harriet, deceased wife of Bethuel Diggen, of Muncy, and Anna. Mr. Webster died September 22, 1889, and his wife, July 23, 1840.
J. E. WEBSTER, eldest son of Sylvester and Tamar Webster, was born in Liberty township, Tioga county, September 9, 1827, and was reared upon a farm. In 1860 he removed to Morris, residing there until 1871, when he located on his present farm in Morris township. July 4, 1850, he married Alsina Steele, a daughter of James and Hannah Steele, to which union have been reared the following children: William J., deceased; Walter, a resident of Morris; Martha, wife of William O’Connor, of Wellsboro; Orrin, a resident of Potter county; Daniel, of Morris; Robert, who lives in West Virginia; Homer G., a resident of Morris township; Sylvester J. and Lowell E., both residing in Potter county. Mr. Webster is a Republican, in politics; has been township supervisor during 1862-63; a school director for fifteen years; census enumerator in 1890, and is now township assessor. During the civil War he served in Company F, Thirty-fifth Pennsylvania Militia, known as Emergency Men. In religion, he is a member of the Baptist church.
ANDREW DINNISON was born in Scotland, March 4, 1804, and grew to manhood in his native land. His wife, Mary, was born December 28, 1814. In 1849 they immigrated to Pennsylvania and settled in Jackson township, Lycoming county, where he died April 4, 1865. His wife died April 26, 1888. They were the parents of the following children: Mary, wife of James McNeil, of Saginaw county, Michigan; Jane, wife of Charles Naylor, of Lycoming county; James, of Morris township; John who died June 11, 1888; Sarah, wife of Andrew Wylie, of Liberty township, and William, a resident of the same township.
JAMES DINNISON was born in Scotland, June 15, 1839, a son of Andrew and Mary Dinnison, and was ten years old when his parents settled in Lycoming county. He grew to manhood on the old homestead, and came to Tioga county in 1866, locating immediately west of Nauvoo, in Morris township. He became a partner with Robert custard in the old Nelson Root saw-mill property. In 1869 he bought his partner’s interest in the mill and has since carried on the enterprise alone. The mill was destroyed by fire and re-built, and was washed out by the flood of 1889, and again re-built. Since 1893 Mr. Dinnison has also operated a roller buckwheat mill and a buhr feed mill in the building formerly used as a woolen factory. Both mills are run by water power. Mr. Dinnison was married November 7, 1871, to Harriet Plank, a daughter of John Plank, to which union have been born eight children, viz: Mary M., who died September 21, 1877; Sarah J., John F., James A., Ada Elizabeth, Adam B., who died December 15, 1895; William and Ruth. In politics, Mr. Dinnison is a Prohibitionist, and in religion, a member of the Lutheran church. He has served as school director and township treasurer. He combines farming with his milling business, and owns and cultivates a farm of ninety-two acres in Liberty township. Honorable and upright in all his dealings, he enjoys the respect and esteem of the community.
ISAAC F. BLACK was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, October 16, 1835. He obtained a common school education, and also a good knowledge of book-keeping, after which, in 1856, he began clerking in Jeansville, Luzerne county. He was soon after promoted to book-keeper, and in 1860 formed a partnership with J. F. Randolph, Jr., and continued merchandising in that place. He later sold his interest and removed to Rohrsburg, Columbia county, where he engaged in the general mercantile business. In 1882 he came to Morris, Tioga county, and purchased the Black Hotel property, from William Black, and carried on that business successfully until 1893, when he rented the house to E. A. Kennedy, his son-in-law. In 1866 he married Emma E. Kleiber, who bore him one daughter, Ella, now the wife of E. A. Kennedy, of Morris. Mrs. Black died December 23, 1894. In politics, Mr. Black is a Democrat. He is Past Chancellor of Woodland Lodge, No. 375, K. of P., of Hoytville, and is also a member and financial secretary of Washington Camp, No. 624, P. O. S. and A., of the same place. He has filled the offices of school director and auditor, and is one of the best known citizens of Morris township.
THOMAS J. BIRMINGHAM, son of Thomas and Mary (Brooks) Birmingham, was born at Pine City, Chemung county, New York, February 9, 1870. His parents were natives of Ireland and came to Elmira, New York, in 1866, later removing to Pine City, where his father became a tannery employe. In 1878 he came to Tioga county, settling at Millerton, Jackson township. He afterwards became a railroad employe, and was accidentally killed at Seely Creek, New York, June 10, 1886. His wife died at Pine City, October 5, 1876. To Thomas and Mary Birmingham were born six children, viz: Patrick, a resident of Morris; Mary, wife of John Leonard, of Blossburg; Annie, wife of John McNamara, of the same place; Thomas J., of Morris; Bridget and Michael, also residing in Morris. The subject of this sketch received a common school education, and when fifteen years of age entered the store of W. W. Tate, of Morris, for whom he clerked one year. The following eight years he was in the employ of R. R. Kelts, of the same place, whom he bought out, April 1, 1896, and is now one of the leading merchants of the town. In politics, he is a Democrat, and is the present postmaster of Morris. He is a member of the Catholic church and is connected with the A. O. H. and the C. T. A. societies, being now secretary of Sacred Heart Branch of the latter organization. Though a young man, Mr. Birmingham ranks as one of the leading business men of Morris. His success in business has been due to painstaking industry; a conscientious discharge of duty from day to day; a genial and courteous bearing, and a high regard for honor and honesty in all his dealings.
R. F. ROBINSON, physician and surgeon, was born at State Road, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, in 1862, on the old Robinson homestead, settled by his grandfather in 1802. After attending the public schools of Lycoming township until the age of fourteen, he spent two terms at the Montoursville Normal School, and in the winter of 1879-80, he engaged in teaching. The following summer he attended the Muncy Normal, and taught during the winter seasons up to 1882, when he graduated with high honors. He next attended the Williamsport Commercial College, where he graduated, and then took a two years’ course at Lock Haven Normal School, graduating from that institution and carrying off one of the highest honors. Selecting the medical profession as his chosen vocation, he began his studies under Dr. G. D. Nutt, of Williamsport. In 1886 he went to Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and graduated from that institution in 1888. After practicing for a short time in Williamsport, he accepted the position of medical attendant at the Cedar Run Tannery, Leetonia, Tioga county, which he filled three years. In 1891 he located at Morris, and the following year purchased the drug store of the late W. P. Kerr, which he has since carried on successfully in connection with his professional duties. Dr. Robinson is a member of the Lycoming County Medical Society, and has built up a large and lucrative practice in his present field of labor.
PETER KLINE, proprietor of livery stables at Morris, was born in Sullivan county, New York, October 8, 1863, a son of John and Kate (Hayne) Kline. His father came from Germany, to Sullivan county, New York, in 1853, where he met and married Kate Hayne, who bore him a family of eleven children, eight of whom are living, viz: John and Jacob, both residents of Sullivan county, New York; Peter, of Morris, Tioga county; Barbara, wife of Jacob Wingert; Katie, Michael, Lizzie, wife of Conrad Metzgar, and Bertha. The subject of this sketch worked on his father’s farm up to 1883, in which year he came to Tioga county, where he followed lumbering and jobbing until April 1, 1896. He then erected a livery barn in Morris, stocked it with new rigs and good horses, and has since carried on the business. Mr. Kline was married March 10, 1890, to Kate Walter, of Sullivan county, New York, to whom has been born three children, viz: Harry, Lizzie and Ralph Albert. In politics, Mr. Kline is a Democrat, and in religion a member of the German Presbyterian church, while his wife belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. He is also connected with Hoytville Lodge, No. 664, I. O. O. F.
E. L. KINGSBURY was born at Lake Como, Wayne county, Pennsylvania, August 17, 1853, a son of William and Mahala (Woodmansie) Kingsbury. His parents were natives of the same county, his father being employed for a number of years as foreman of the woods at Lake Como tannery. His mother died in 1869, and his father married for his second wife Samantha Stanton, and is still living at Lake Como. The subject of this sketch worked at the tannery at that place, where he filled the position of weighmaster four years. In July, 1894, he removed to Hoytville, Tioga county, where he found employment at the Brunswick Tannery, and has since filled the position of outside foreman and weighmaster. In 1874 Mr. Kingsbury married Carmith Sherwood, a daughter of Amos O. and Lucinda Sherwood, of Wayne county. She died on October 15, 1890, leaving six children, viz: Cora, Grace L., William S., Elwyn, Charles H. and Basil. On October 20, 1892, he married for his second wife Grace Mitchell, who has one child, Lyle. Mr. Kingsbury is a Republican, and has served three terms as supervisor of Morris township. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the K. O. T. M. societies. Since coming to Hoytville, Mr. Kingsbury has discharged the duties of his responsible position in a satisfactory manner.
G. W. DARBY was born in Greene county, New York, May 14, 1839, there grew to maturity, and in 1857 removed to Wayne county, Pennsylvania, where he worked in a tannery for twelve years. Returning to Sullivan county, New York, in 1869, he worked in a tannery there seven years, and two years in the same business in Lewis county. In 1878 he came to Sullivan county, Pennsylvania, and worked for the Hoyt Brothers, and in 1892 came to Hoytville to accept a responsible position in the tannery at that place, where he is still employed. Mr. Darby has been twice married. His first wife was Melissa C. Horton, of Mt. Pleasant, who bore him nine children, as follows: Delbert H., of Hoytville; Samuel, of the same place; Clarissa, wife of Walter Hoffman, of Sullivan county; Edgar, Fred, Nettie and John, both deceased; Mittie and Florence. Mrs. Darby died October 20, 1889, and in December, 1892, Mr. Darby married Ida Moyer, of Watsontown, Pennsylvania. In politics, he is a Republican.
DELBERT H. DARBY was born in Wayne county, Pennsylvania, February 7,
1862. After leaving school he clerked in Hillsgrove, Sullivan county, Pennsylvania,
for three years. He afterwards learned the tanner’s trade, and in 1885
went to Petoskey, Michigan, to take charge of a tannery at that place.
In 1887 he came to Hoytville, Tioga county, where he has since filled a
responsible position in the Hoytville tannery. In 1883 Mr. Darby married
Ella A. Connelly, of Hillsgrove, who bore him one daughter, Della H.
Mrs. Darby died on April 23, 1887, and in March, 1889, he married Stella
J. Field, of Wellsboro. In politics, Mr. Darby is a Republican. He is a
Past Grand of Hoytville Lodge, No. 665, I. O. O. F., and Past Commander
of Morris Tent, No. 215, K. O. T. M.