DAVID ARVINE CLARKE was born at Sidney Plains, New York, March 7, 1823, and received a college preparatory education at Elmira, and Cazenovia Seminary. After coming to Tioga county, he embarked in the lumber business with his father, and also engaged in merchandising for a short time. In 1850 he bought the farm in Middlebury township on which his son, John E., now resides, and devoted a part of his time to agriculture. He was one of the well-known citizens of the community, and at his death, April 19, 1894, left a large circle of friends. He married Martha J. Lockwood, of Horseheads, New York, to whom were born five children, viz: John E., of Middlebury; Sarah F., a school teacher in Scranton; Milburn A., deceased; Mary E., a trained nurse residing in Philadelphia, and Anna C., a physician of Scranton, with whom Mrs. Clarke resides.
JOHN E. CLARKE, eldest child of David A. and Martha J. Clarke, and grandson of Arvine Clarke, was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, November 9, 1853. He attended the common schools of his district, and subsequently the normal school at Cortland, New York, and has since devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits in Middlebury township. On April 4, 1882, he married Sarah J., a daughter of D. N. Lawrence, of Bradford county, where she was born July 2, 1854. They have three children: Arvine N., Daniel M., and Martha J. Mrs. Clarke is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically, Mr. Clarke is a Republican, and is also a member of the Grange.
WILLIAM GEE, a native of New York state, came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1824, and purchased a farm in Farmington township. Here both he and his wife spent the balance of their lives. He died in 1838, and his wife in 1843. They were the parents of eight children, named as follows: Joshua, Thomas, Joseph, Daniel, John, Jane, Pattie and Sally, all of whom are dead.
JOSEPH GEE, second son of William Gee, was born in Orange county, New York, in 1808, and was sixteen years of age when he and an older brother came to Tioga county ahead of their parents and made the first clearing upon the old homestead in Farmington township, which he afterwards purchased. He was educated in the district schools, and after attaining his majority devoted his attention to farming, and was also engaged in lumbering on the Cowanesque River. He married Lavina Culver, who bore him eleven children, viz: Mary, wife of C. W. Barlow, of Wisconsin; Ephraim, Charles F. and Sallie, all deceased; Hannah, wife of Thomas Roe, of Middlebury; Joseph, deceased; Amasa, a resident of Delmar; Sabra, wife of Ali Briggs, of Middlebury, now deceased; Leander, of Middlebury; Walter, deceased and Clark, a farmer of Middlebury township. Mr. Gee was burned to death in 1865 while attempting to rescue valuables from his burning house in Middlebury. His widow now resides with her son, Leander, in that township.
LEANDER GEE was born in Farmington township, Tioga county, December 12, 1847, a son of Joseph Gee, and grandson of William Gee. He obtained a common school education and has made farming his life vocation, now owning the homestead in Middlebury, which embraces 160 acres of well improved land, located a short distance northeast of Keeneyville. He has devoted some attention to buying and selling live stock and wagons. April 24, 1872, Mr. Gee married Delia Leonard, a daughter of Justus and Nancy (Young) Leonard, of Farmington township. She was born May 26, 1855, and is the mother of two children, Leander L. and Ephraim S. They have also an adopted son, Frank Hoyt, whom they took when less than three years old, and legally adopted in July, 1895. Mrs. Gee and children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, the family are Republicans, and are also connected with the Patrons of Husbandry. Mr. Gee has served one term as school director, and is one of the prominent and successful farmers of Middlebury.
NEWBURY CLOOS, youngest son of Newbury Cloos, Sr., was born in Deerfield township, Tioga county, in 1827. He received a good common school education and taught during his early manhood. He subsequently purchased a farm in Middlebury township, and for many years was one of the prominent and successful farmers of that locality. He married Cynthia Church, to which union were born eight children, viz: Amarilla, wife of Henry J. Shaff, of Middlebury township; Rhoda, wife of Hiram Kilbourne, of Wellsboro; Esther and Sophia, both deceased; Jane, widow of C. K. Palmer, of Middlebury; D. Wilmot and Julia, both deceased, and Luther N., a well known physician of Keeneyville. Mr. Cloos died on his farm in Middlebury, February 22, 1875.
LUTHER NEWBURY CLOOS, physician and surgeon, Keeneyville, was born in Middlebury township, Tioga County, May 5, 1860, and is the youngest son of Newbury and Cynthia Cloos, and grandson of Newbury Cloos, Sr. He received his primary education in the district schools of his native township, and later attended the State Normal School, at Mansfield, where he completed his studies. He read medicine under Dr. Augustus Niles, and graduated at the Baltimore Medical College in the spring of 1893. He soon afterwards purchased the residence and practice of his preceptor, and enjoys a large and lucrative business. Dr. Cloos makes a specialty of the diseases of women and of the eye and ear, in which he has been highly successful. On May 1, 1884, he married Cora L. Hazlett, a daughter of Amariah Hazlett, of Middlebury Center, and has one son, David Wilmot. Mrs. Cloos is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Dr. Cloos is a Democrat, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F., and the K. O. T. M., and the I. O. T. M., for all of which he is the local medical examiner.
ISAAC BRYANT,a native of Pennsylvania, came to Tioga county in 1850. His father, David Bryant, was one of the early settlers of the county. Isaac purchased the property in Middlebury township where his widow and son, James H., now reside, and followed farming up to September, 1863. He then enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, the famous Bucktail regiment. He was a brave and gallant soldier, was taken prisoner at the battle of the Wilderness, and died in Anderson prison. His wife, Mary A., was a daughter of Henry Rogers, of Seneca county, New York. She was born October 7, 1819, and became the mother of six children, viz: Alonzo H., a farmer in Middlebury, who served in the Civil War; Melissa A., deceased; Albert T., also a soldier in the Rebellion, who died in Salisbury prison, South Carolina; Henry E., who served in the Union army, and has since died; Lizette J., who died in infancy, and James H., who cultivates the old homestead. Mrs. Bryant is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and one of the intelligent, helpful women of her neighborhood. She is very active in good works, and is well preserved for a person of her advanced years. Her husband and three of her sons went out in defense of the flag, and two of the four laid down their lives that this free government might live.
GEORGE WESTBROOK, a native of Chemung county, New York, born in 1808, came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1848, and settled on a farm near Tioga. Three years later he purchased a large farm in Middlebury township, a portion of which is now owned by the widow of Horace F. Westbrook. In 1867 he traded for a farm on Crooked creek, a half mile below Holiday, and later moved to Middlebury Center, thence to Wellsboro, and finally to Chatham township, where he died. He married Lovisa B. Taylor, born in Windsor count, Vermont, in 1808, who bore him a family of fifteen children, eight of whom grew to maturity, as follows: Polly, widow of Baitman Monroe, of Addison; Horace F., deceased; Ephraim, a resident of Mansfield; Jane, wife of Jason Prutsman, of Elmira; Stella, wife of Samuel Love, of Little Marsh; Benjamin, who lives in Mansfield; Hattie, wife of George Curran, of Knoxville, and James T., deceased. Mrs. Westbrook died October 18, 1887, aged seventy- nine years.
HORACE FREELAND WESTBROOK was born in Chemung county, New York, November 27, 1829, eldest son of George Westbrook. He lived with his parents until the family removed to Tioga county, when he purchased a half interest in the farm bought by his father in Middlebury township, where he was engaged in farming until the autumn of 1861. He then enlisted in Company F, Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and went to the front with the rank of orderly sergeant. He fought in every battle in which his regiment was engaged up to Malvern Hill, where he was killed, July 1, 1862. He married Rachel M. Prutsman, a daughter of Abram and Maria Prutsman, at Tioga county, September 30, 1856. She was born at Tioga village, October 17, 1833, and bore him three children, viz: Willis H., who lives in Tioga; Edgar L., of Middlebury, and Ada B., wife of Otis I. Coolidge, of Morris. Mrs. Westbrook resides on the old homestead. She is a member of the Presbyterian church.
EDGAR L. WESTBROOK, youngest son of Horace F. Westbrook, was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, August 19, 1859, and obtained his education in the district schools and the Soldier’s Orphan School, at Mansfield. He has remained on the home farm, assisting his mother in its cultivation. On November 3, 1881, he married Helen H. Johnson, a daughter of Dennis and Hester (Bates) Johnson, of Sullivan county, New York, to which union have been born three children, viz: Mamie A., Nida L., and Clarence J., the last deceased. Mr. Westbrook is an independent voter and is a member of the I. O. O. F., and the K. O. T. M. societies.
JAMES E. ANDREWS, a native of Cayuga county, New York, and a son of Obed Andrews, was born February 16, 1799. His father was a native of the same county, and a well-to-do farmer. James E., was the oldest in a family of nine children, viz: James, Parmelia, Lansing, Ephraim, Hulda, Harrison, Sarah, Serena and Obed. He obtained a common school education, and followed farming in his native county up to 1855, in which year he came to Tioga county and purchased the present Andrews farm in Middlebury township. Here he resided until his death, September 22, 1871. He married Clarissa Weeks, February 7, 1822. She was born in Cayuga county, New York, February 7, 1802, and bore him eight children, viz: Gardner K., who died September, 1892, aged sixty-eight years; Sarah J., who died on April 14, 1877, aged fifty-two years; Eliza E., who died August 22, 1858, aged thirty-one years; Matthias A., who died in California in May, 1871, aged forty-two years; Dennis, a farmer in Middlebury township; Obed H., who died while a soldier in the Union Army, November 19, 1861, aged twenty-eight years; Alfred A., a resident of Middlebury, and Liscomb L., who resides in the west. All of this family except Dennis and Liscomb were school teachers. Mrs. Andrews died September 7, 1880. She was a member of the Methodist church.
DENNIS ANDREWS, a son of James E. Andrews, was born in Venice, Cayuga county, New York, April 10, 1831, and received a common school education. When eighteen years old he commenced learning the carpenter’s trade, which he followed in his native county until the removal of the family to this county in 1855. He joined his father in the purchase of the present homestead, off which he sold 100 acres in January, 1896, retaining seventy-five acres, and has since devoted his attention to farming and lumbering in connection with his trade. Mr. Andrews was married June 21, 1837, to charlotte M. Cady, a daughter of Samuel A. Cady, who has borne him six children, viz: Francis S., a carpenter of Wellsboro; Gardner I., who also follows that trade in Wellsboro; Eddie P., and Flora A., both of whom died in infancy; Robert S., who lives on the home farm, and Grace L., at home. In politics, Mr. Andrews is a Democrat, and has filled the office of township assessor. He, wife and daughter, Grace, are members of the Patrons of Husbandry. His sons Gardner I. And Robert S., are members of the K. O. T. M.
HIRAM WARREN was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts. He was a descendant of the brother of General Warren of Revolutionary fame, and his father was a soldier in the Continental army, and was wounded at Bunker Hill. Hiram Warren was reared in Herkimer county, New York and came to Tioga county about 1838, locating in Charleston township. He was a shoemaker, and followed his trade until his death. His wife, Mary, was a daughter of Ludwig Hart, of Charleston township, and bore him ten children, viz: James, a farmer of Nelson township; Mary, wife of Coleman Furman, of Wellsboro; Sylvester, who died in infancy; Nancy, deceased wife of Andrew Teachman; Elijah, a resident of Charleston township; Philo S., a farmer of Middlebury; Solon S., who lives in Wellsboro; Martha, who died at the age of seven years; Alonzo, a farmer of Chatham, and George, a resident of Delmar.
PHILO S. WARREN, a son of Hiram Warren, was born in Herkimer county, New York, September 30, 1835, and was three years old when his parents came to Tioga county. He was reared in Charleston township, and worked as a farm hand until he was twenty-one years old, when he moved on a farm in Chatham township owned by his wife, a part of his present property. In 1865 he purchased the land adjoining, which he now owns, and has devoted his attention to farming. He worked in the lumber woods during the winter seasons for many years, with the exception of four months that he was employed by the United States government in a construction corps during the Rebellion. On February 10, 1856, he married Anna M. Chamberlain,, a daughter of Simon S., and Mercy (Keeney) Chamberlain. She was born December 6, 1833, and is the only living descendant of the Chamberlain family in Tioga county. Two children have been born to this union, viz: Jasper C., a Free Will Baptist minister, located at Keeenyville, and Bion S., Mr. And Mrs. Warren are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics, he is a Republican.
BION SNYDER WARREN was born in Middlebury township, Tioga county, December 25, 1859, and was educated in the district schools and the State Normal at Mansfield. He has remained upon the homestead farm, assisting in its cultivation. On July 13, 1881, he married Sarah J. Stewart, a daughter of Robert and Hannah (Ellison) Stewart, of Farmington township, and has three children, Earl M., Eppa M and Pearl M. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Warren is a stanch Republican, and is connected with the I. O. O. F society.
SIMON SNYDER CHAMBERLAIN was born in Belfast, Allegany county, New York, in 1804, a son of Calvin and Isabel (Ives) Chamberlain, and was reared there and in the Cowanesque Valley. His father was born in Roxbury, Massachusetts, in 1771, the third son of Simon Chamberlain, one of three brothers who came from England to Roxbury, where he married a Miss Dodge and reared a family of four sons and five daughters. His mother was a daughter of Ambrose Ives, and a sister of Timothy, Titus and Benajah Ives, early settlers of Tioga. To Calvin and Isabel Chamberlain were born four children, viz: Chandler, Simon S., Ives and Deborah. The father came to the Cowanesque Valley early in the century and spent the remaining years of his life in this part of the state, and New York state, dying in Middlebury township, at the home of his son, Simon S., in 1859, aged eighty-eight years. His wife died in Farmington township in 1834, aged seventy-one years. Simon S. came to Middlebury in 1824 and settled on Crooked Creek, on land purchased from the Bingham estate. He married Mercy Keeney, a daughter of Deacon Thomas Keeney, a soldier of the War of 1812. Mr. Keeney settled in Middlebury in 1815. He married Anna Parshall, a daughter of Israel and Ruth Parshall, of Chemung county, New York. They were charter members of the First Baptist church of Tioga, organized in 1816. To Simon S. and Mercy Chamberlain were born two children, viz: Anna M., wife of Philo S. Warren, and Snyder K., deceased. Mrs. Chamberlain died July 29, 1889, and her husband, March 14, 1891.
DWIGHT CUMMINGS, a native of Cayuga county, New York, born July 27, 1818, is a son of Gurdon and Abigail (Pettis) Cummings, natives of Connecticut, of Scotch-Irish extraction. He came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1856, and for one year rented a farm in Chatham township and the following two years worked a rented farm in Middlebury. He then purchased seventy acres of land in Middlebury, to which he has added until he now owns 250 acres of well-improved land. On November 6, 1845, he married Sally Wormer, who was born July 15, 1827. Five children were the fruits of this union, viz: Frances E., wife of John Hagencamp, of Deerfield; Charles Gurdon, of Middlebury; Ellen J., wife of David French, of the same township; Burdett C., also a resident of Middlebury, and Abram W., a physician of Oswayo, Potter county. Mrs. Cummings died August 6, 1881. Politically, Mr. Cummings is a Republican, and is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.
CHARLES GURDON CUMMINGS, eldest son of Dwight Cummings, was born in Cayuga county, New York, December 16, 1847. Coming to this county with his parents when about ten years of age, he worked on the homestead farm until his majority, and then began working in the lumber woods in the winter seasons, and on farms in the summer time, which he followed six years. At the end of this period he rented a farm in Middlebury township which he now owns. He worked in on shares for five years, and in August, 1880, bought the property, which embraces 116 acres. He has since purchased 349 acres more in Middlebury, and thus owns 465 acres of land. He erected his present fine home in 1888, and is one of the successful farmers of his township. Mr. Cummings married Emma J. Button, a daughter of Ralph Button, of Middlebury, November 15, 1874. Eight children have been born to this union, viz: Claude G., Earl D., George B., Roy E., Ella J., Lee W., Kate M., and William C., the last of whom died in infancy. In politics, the family affiliates with the Republicans, and Mr. Cummings is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry. He is a good example of what energy and perseverance can accomplish. Twenty years ago he was working as a farm hand, while today he is one of the largest property owners and most substantial citizens of Middlebury township.
AMOS E. ROWLEY, inventor and cabinet maker, was born at Southampton, Massachusetts, January 4, 1825, a son of Chester and Rispa (Barnes) Rowley, natives of Massachusetts. His parents reared the following children: Horace, deceased; Mary, wife of Moses Thorpe, of California; Hayden, of Saginaw City, Michigan; Amos E., of Middlebury township; Elvira, wife of Henry Wells, of New Haven, Connecticut; Gensie, Lewis, Benjamin and James, al of whom reside in Connecticut. Amos E. learned the cabinet maker’s trade in Massachusetts, and followed that business in the East up to 1859, when he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania. He settled at Keeneyville, and has since followed his trade in this county, with the exception of ten years spent in Wellsville, Corning and Sandy Hill, New York. He retired from active work in 1894, while a resident of Wellsboro, removing to his present farm in Middlebury township, where he devotes his attention to inventing, a business that has received a large portion of his time from early manhood. Among his principle inventions are the Rowley Car Coupler, the Rowley Power Mortising Chisel, which removes its own chips, the Rowley Bosom Board, the Rowley Weight Power and the Rowley Rotating Churn Dash, all of which have been fairly successful. In 1844 he was married at Waterville, New York, to Ellen Tower, who bore him seven children, four of whom are living, viz: Alice, wife of Rev. Bain, of Edmiston, New York; Frank, a Methodist Episcopal minister, of Troupsburg, New York; Charles, a pattern maker of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Rose, wife of James Shaff, of Middlebury township. Mr. Rowley’s second wife was Mrs. Mills, and his present wife, Mrs. Mary Brown, nee Shaff. In politics, he is an ardent Republican.
SYLVESTER E. ADAMY, a son of Daniel and Catherine (Brink) Adamy, was born in Schuyler county, New York, and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1853. He located near Tioga, where he worked in a sawmill three years, and then removed to Wisconsin. Five years later he returned to Tioga county and purchased a farm near Keeneyville, but continued working in sawmills until his death, in 1873. He married Roxina Brown, a daughter of Nathaniel Brown. Eight children were the fruits of this union, viz: George R., a merchant of Niles Valley; Almira, wife of Abram Lyon; Daniel, a train dispatcher at St. Paul, Minnesota; Dewitt, deceased; Clara B., wife of Henry Sweet, of Middlebury; Catherine A., wife of Versal Ives, of the same township; Minnie A., wife of William Ellison, also a resident of Middlebury, and Abram L., a resident of Galeton, Potter county.
GEORGE R. ADAMY, merchant and proprietor of sawmills at Niles Valley, is a native of New York state, born September 21, 1851. When twenty-one years old he went to Norfolk, Virginia, but returned to Tioga county one year later and found employment as an engineer in a sawmill for three years. For the succeeding nine years he was engineer at the Niles Valley tannery, and later carried on the livery business in Elmira, New York. Returning to Niles Valley, he was foreman in the tannery four years. He then purchased his present home and mercantile business, which he has since successfully carried on, also operating a saw and shingle mill. Besides his property at Niles Valley, he is the owner of a farm in Chatham township. Mr. Adamy was married July 25, 1875, to Mary A. Wedge, a daughter of Samuel Wedge, of Niles Valley, and has six children, viz: May, Burt, Henry S., Georgianna, Louisa and Laura R. The family is connected with the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Mr. Adamy is a Republican, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F.
JACOB B. CONLEY was born at Locke, Cayuga county, New York, November 23, 1827. His father, Jacob Conley, was born in the same county about 1788, and died in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1884, while on a visit to his son. He was twice married and the father of fourteen children. His first wife, a Miss Howard, bore him twelve children, of whom Jacob was the fifth. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, whence he removed to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1854. He bought a farm in Chatham township, lived there up to 1860, then sold out and returned to New York. In 1865 he came back to this county and purchased a farm in Middlebury township, on the Chatham line, which he sold two years later and bought the present Conley farm of forty-one acres in the spring of 1867. While working in the lumber woods, he was killed by a rolling log, December 22, 1867. His wife, Martha J., whom he married January 1, 1850, was a daughter of Jefferson and Sophronia (Henderson) Bowker. She was born January 29, 1832, and bore him four children, viz: Amelia, wife of Charles Corkins, of Colorado; Ermina M., who married Ira Briggs; Jefferson B., a farmer in Middlebury; and Sophronia, wife of Alvin Rice, of Charleston township. Mrs. Conley was again married in 1870, to Silas Staples, who died June 3, 1888. His widow now resides with her son Jefferson B., in Middlebury township.
JEFFERSON B. CONLEY, only son of Jacob B. and Martha J. Conley, was born in Chatham township, Tioga county, September 1, 1865. When fifteen years of age he commenced working out as a farm hand, at which he continued for three years. He then returned to the homestead farm, and bought the property, on which he has since resided. For five years he farmed on a small scale and engaged in selling wagons and farming implements and running a threshing machine. In 1888 he bought what is known as the Ralph Button property. Six years later he also purchase the George Weller place, and commenced farming on a larger scale, keeping quite a large dairy. In 1894 he was burned out, sustaining a heavy loss, but the same year he rebuilt. Mr. Conley was married April 12, 1879, to Alice West, a daughter of Philander West, who has borne him four children, viz: Lola E., deceased; Martha J., Nina E., and Wand V. Mr. And Mrs. Conley are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and also of the Patrons of Husbandry. Politically, he is an independent voter, and is connected with the K. O. T. M. society.
THOMAS COLEGROVE, a native of Rhode Island, born February 22, 1785, was a son of Oliver Colegrove, a grandson of Eli Colegrove, and a great-grandson of Francis Colegrove, who came from England about 1667, and located at Warwick, Rhode Island. Thomas came to Tioga county in 1841, and settled in Lawrence township, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, February 3, 1854. He was married in Rhode Island, to Polly Brightman, who bore him ten children, viz: Taber, Zachariah P., John N., Charlotte, and Marilda, all of whom are dead; Willet S., a resident of Knoxville; Andrew J., who lives in Farmington; George T. of Middlebury; Henry B., a farmer in Lawrence township, and Aurilla, wife of Robert Babcock, of Lawrence. Mrs. Colegrove died in December, 1864, surviving her husband over ten years.
GEORGE THOMAS COLEGROVE was born in Troupsburg, New York, August 19, 1830, a son of Thomas and Polly Colegrove. He was eleven years old when his parents came to Tioga county, and he grew to manhood in Lawrence township. When twenty-three years of age he purchased land in Farmington township, lived there until 1865, and then bought a farm near Holiday, in Middlebury township, which he soon afterwards sold. In 1873 he bought his present farm of 145 acres a part of which lies in Farmington township and has since been engaged in cultivating it. In 1853 he married Clarissa E. Bradley, a daughter of Henry Bradley, of Farmington township. She was born July 17, 1838, and has borne him six children, viz: Eugene T., a farmer in Tioga township; Martha J., wife of Frank Lutz, of Middlebury; James E., who died September 18, 1887, aged twenty-seven years; Warren W., who lives in Steuben county, New York; Alam A., wife of Byron D. Paris, of Lawrence township, and Cora L., wife of Abram Ballman, of Middlebury. Mrs. Colegrove is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Politically, Mr. Colegrove is a Republican, and well-known, successful farmer.
GEORGE RUDE was born in Connecticut, in 1827, removed with his parents to Cayuga county, New York, when about two years of age, and there received a good education. He came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1853; remained eight years, and then returned to Cayuga county, New York. A few years later her returned to Tioga and purchased the present Rude farm in Middlebury township. Here he devoted his time and attention to agriculture for the succeeding thirty years, dying on the old homestead, April 17, 1893. He married Lucy A. Saxbury, a daughter of Adam Saxbury, of Chatham township, to which union were born four children, as follows: Abigail, wife of George Brimmer, of Osceola; Jonas, deceased; Orson, born July 7, 1859, and George, born May 7, 1869. Orson and George live upon the old homestead, which is owned by the latter. Their mother makes her home with them. They are engaged in the business of hay pressing, threshing, shingle sawing, wood cutting and feed grinding, by steam power, own two large engines, and carry on a profitable trade. Both are adherents of the Republican party, and George is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.
JOHN T. PURVIS, county surveyor, was born in Cumberland, Maine, June 10, 1822, a son of Adam and Ruth (Tibbits) Purvis, natives of Maine, and grandson of Adam Purvis, a native of Scotland. His father was a clothier, and died at Yarmouth, Maine, January 15, 1878, aged seventy-eight years. His mother died August 9, 1876, aged seventy-six years. They were the parents of eight children, viz: Andrew, deceased; John T., of Niles Valley; Julia, wife of Mr. Cobb, of Yarmouth, Maine; Susan, deceased; Ruthetta, wife of Andrew Leighton, of Yarmouth; and Anna, Jane and Mary, all of whom are dead. John T. received an academic education, graduating from Lewiston Falls Academy. He learned the cabinetmaker’s trade, and in 1842 went to Williamsport, Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in lumbering two years. He then located on Pine Creek, near the site of Ansonia, Tioga county, and carried on a large lumber business for nine years. He next removed to Sinnamahoning, Cameron county, as superintendent for Phelps, Dodge & Company, extensive lumber operators, which position he filled seven years. In the meantime he had studied the art of surveying, and the last year he spent with Phelps, Dodge & Company he was employed in that capacity. Removing to Wellsboro, Tioga county, Mr. Purvis formed a partnership with Calvin Kelly and opened a general store, which they carried on two years. In 1867 he located at Niles Valley, in Middlebury township, purchased his present residence, and erected a store building, in which he conducted the mercantile business up to 1885. He has been station agent at Niles Valley since the Fall Brook railroad was built, but has devoted a great deal of his time to surveying, and is at present filling the office of county surveyor. Mr. Purvis was married February 11, 1855, to Harriet E. Herrington, a daughter of Reuben Herrington, one of the early settlers on Pine Creek, where Mrs. Purvis was born April 17, 1830. She is a member of the Presbyterian church. Politically, Mr. Purvis is a Democrat, is also a member of the F. & A. M., and is one of the prominent citizens of Middlebury.
AARON VANDERHOOF, a native of New Jersey, was born September 27, 1814, and grew to maturity in that state. He followed farming there up to 1867, when he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased 103 acres of land in the western part of Middlebury township. Here he continued in agricultural pursuits until 1886, in which year he sold out to his son, George, and returned to New Jersey, where he died, February 25, 1893. His wife, Delila Wagner, was born in New Jersey, June 22, 1817, and reared five children, viz: Lydia A., wife of Theodore Paullison, of New Jersey; Susie, wife of John P. Lantz, of the same state; Ophelia, who died at the age of forty-three; Aaron, a farmer of Tioga township, and George, of Middlebury. Mrs. Vanderhoof is a resident of New Jersey.
GEORGE VANDERHOOF was born in Passaic county, New Jersey, October 25, 1852, youngest child of Aaron Vanderhoof. He came to this county with his parents in 1867, and worked on the home farm up to 1881. He then moved to Hammond, where he first rented and afterwards purchased a farm. Five years later he bought the old homestead, and soon after sold his farm at Hammond. In 1891 he purchased fifty-three adjoining the home farm, upon which he has lived for the past ten years, devoting his attention to agriculture. Mr. Vanderhoof married Mary D. Spaulding, a daughter of Sem P. Spaulding, in 1876. She was born June 17, 1851, and is the mother of the following children: Sem P., a resident of New Jersey; Mary E., John, Monroe H., Susie L., Clyde, Jennie M., who died in childhood; Dorothy, and one that died in infancy. Mrs. Vanderhoof is a member of the L. O. T. M., while her husband is connected with the K. O. T. M., and the P. of H. In politics, the family are adherents of the Republican party.
JOHN B. FARR, SR., a native of England, came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1800, and finally settled on a farm in Sullivan township. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. His wife, Lydia, was a native of Germany, and bore him the following children, viz: John B., William, Jacob, Josiah, Seely, a resident of Chemung county, New York; Czar, a resident of Jackson township; Polly, Lucy, Betsey and Lydia. Mr. Farr and wife died at the age of ninety-four and eighty-six years, respectively.
JOHN B. FARR, eldest child of John B. Farr, Sr., was born in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1804. In early life he was a mail carrier and stage driver, and later engaged in the saw mill business. He married Caroline Ives, who bore him the following children, viz: Adelaide, Jacob, Isaac and Sarah J., all of whom are dead; Lydia A., wife of Charles Dimmick, of Tioga; Lafayette, of Middlebury; Juliette and Samuel, both deceased; Barney and Albert, residents of Elkland, and Allen, deceased. Mr. Farr died in 18060, and his wife in 1891, aged eighty years.
LAFAYETTE FARR was born at Seely Creek, New York, June 15, 1845, a son of John B. and Caroline Farr, and grandson of John B. Farr, Sr. In the autumn of 1863, when but eighteen years old, he enlisted in Company D., Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Peach Bottom, Black Water, City Point, Johnson Farm, Ream’s Station, Darbytown, Five Forks, Berksville Station, and was present at the surrender of Lee. He was discharged in September 1865, at Philadelphia, and returned to his home in this county. He followed lumbering for a time, then learned the carpenter’s trade, and finally engaged in farming, which has since been his occupation. He owns a farm of 115 acres near Hammond, which he has rented, and lives on the farm of A. C. Cole. Mr. Farr was married September 6, 1874, to Mary A. Reiger, and has two children, Jennie D. and Nida M. In politics, a Republican, he has served two terms as supervisor and one term as assistant assessor of his township. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and the G. A. R. societies.
GEORGE W. PECKHAM was born in Middletown, Rhode Island, May 14, 1829, a son of Timothy and Zoa (Maxen) Peckham, natives of Rhode Island. His father, who died February 3, 1834, was a son of Philip Peckham, a soldier in the War of 1812, who owned and sold to the government the land on which Fort Adams stands, at Newport, Rhode Island. George W. is the forth in a family of six children, viz: Cyrus, Sarah, Phoebe, George W., James, deceased and Annie W. The mother died in 1879. The subject of this sketch received a common school education in his native town, and when nineteen years old went to Providence, where he learned the machinist’s trade. He worked there up to 1859, and then went to Philadelphia and embarked in the printing business, but returned to Rhode Island two years later and engaged in farming. In 1881 he came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and located on his present farm of 100 acres, then the property of Ezra Potter. Mr. Peckham married Matilda Potter, a daughter of Ezra and Eunice (Sweet) Potter, June 30, 1851. Nine children have been born to this marriage, as follows: Ida E., deceased wife of Charles Monroe, of Warren, Rhode Island; Zoa A., wife of R. A. Newman, of Bristol, same state; George E., proprietor of a book store in New York City; Albert S., mercantile agent of Brooklyn, New York; Josephine L, a trained nurse of New York City; Frank O., cashier and bookkeeper in a whole sale grocery of New York; James S., deceased; William E., who lives at home, and Royal D., a merchant tailor of Wellsboro. Mr. And Mrs. Peckham are members of the First Baptist church, and the P. of H., and in politics, adherents of the Republican party.
LOUIS ALBERT POTTER was born at Albion, Orleans county, New York, October 11, 1837, a son of Dr. Stephen M. and Ann (Harding) Potter. Dr. Potter was born in Washington county, New York, in 1794, a son of Benjamin Potter, a sea captain. He studied medicine under Dr. H. P. Moore, of Manlius, New York, and commenced practice at Albion, whence he removed to Cazenovia, where he practiced his profession the greater part of his life. He served in the War of 1812, represented his county in the General Assembly in 1845, and was sheriff of Madison county, New York three years. He was an ardent Democrat, a prominent physician, and a respected citizen. He died at Manlius, New York, October 4, 1885, aged ninety-one years old. Dr. Potter was thrice married. His first wife, Polly Moore, bore him one daughter, Maria, deceased wife of John C. Remon, of Syracuse. His second wife, Hulda Collins, died without issue. His third wife, Ann Harding, was born in East Hampton, Connecticut, in August, 1810, a daughter of Daniel and Betsey Harding, and became the mother of eight children, six of whom died in infancy. The two surviving children are Louis A., of Middlebury township, and Charles L., who lives in Syracuse. Mrs. Dr. Potter died in 1892. Louis A. obtained a common school education and adopted farming as his vocation. He first came to Tioga county in 1859, where he found employment with a lumber firm to scale logs and measure lumber. He settled permanently in this county in 1879, purchasing his present farm near Middlebury Center, to which he has since devoted his attention. In 1861, he married Julia A. Potter, a daughter of Henry H., and Malinda G. (Stevens). She was born in Tioga in 1840, and has two sons,L. Clarence, a pattern maker, residing at Syracuse, and Jerome V., who lives with his parents. Politically, Mr. Potter is a stanch Democrat.
JAMES LEWIS BEERS, physician and surgeon in Holiday, was born at Danby, Tompkins county, New York, November 18, 1859. His parents, Andrew J. and Jemima (Rightmyer) Beers, were natives of New York state. His father was a wagonmaker, and died at Danby, February 23, 1891, aged sixty-six years. His mother died May 17, 1885, aged forty-five years. James L. was the eldest in a family of four children, the others being Fred. E., a resident of Ithaca, New York; Anna, wife of Elbert Hill, of Danby, and George A., of Holiday, Middlebury township. After graduating from the Danby High School, the subject of this sketch commenced the study of medicine under Dr. W. H. Fisher, of Spencer, New York, later attended lectures at University Medical College, New York, and graduated from that institution in March, 1882. He began practice at Freeville, Tompkins county, New York, removed one year later to Sayre, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, practiced there one year, and then located at Willseyville, New York, where he remained eighteen months. At the end of this time he went to Colorado, followed his profession there for a year and a half, and then returned to Pennsylvania. He located at Holidaytown, Tioga county, where he has since built up a lucrative practice. Dr. Beers has been twice married. His first marriage occurred April 6, 1882, to Allie Shepard, a daughter of Salonious Shepard, of Spencer, New York, who bore him one daughter, Luella. His second marriage took place September 6, 1888, to Cora B. White, a daughter of M. G. White, of Holiday, Tioga county. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics, a Republican.
WILLIAM T. COMPTON, a native of Ithaca, New York, and a son of John Compton, was born June 21,1829, and learned the miller’s and millwright’s trades in his native state, which he followed there up to 1885. In that year he came to Tioga county, and with his son, Jesse, took charge of the Central Mills, at Holiday, at the mouth of Hill’s creek, which he continued to operate until his death, July 6, 1890. Mr. Compton was a well-known and successful miller, and did a good business. On July 4, 1855, he married Jane Butcher, of Post Creek, New York, born December 30, 1832, to which union were born three children, viz: Robert A., who lives in Michigan; Luanna, wife of W. H. Hamilton, of Corning, and Jesse, of Holiday, Middlebury township. Mrs. Compton died June 30, 1880.
JESSE COMPTON, manager of the Central Mills, Holiday, Middlebury township, Tioga county, was born at Cuba, Allegany county, New York, August 9, 1860. When sixteen years of age he went to work with his father to learn the millwright and miller’s trade, and has followed that business up to the present, having been connected with the Central Mills since coming to Tioga county, in 1885. Mr. Compton was married December 18, 1887, to Cora E. Lyon, a daughter of Henry Lyon, of Charleston township, to which union have been born five children, viz: Jane L., Alta M., Pearl I., William T., and Henry L. In politics, Mr. Compton is a Republican. Since taking charge of the Central Mills, he has built up a good trade and increased their reputation among the people of Tioga county.
LEMUEL JACKSON was a native of Bradford county, Pennsylvania, born in 1797, there grew to manhood and learned the carpenter’s trade, which he followed in his native county until the forties. He then came to Tioga county and settled on a farm near Osceola, removing a few years later into Middlebury township, and finally to Chatham, where he died in 1891. He was twice married. By his first wife there were seven children born to him, viz: Smith and Isaiah, both residents of Bradford county; Miner, who lives in Chatham township; George H., of Nelson; Nancy, wife of Abisha Woodward, of Iowa; Paulina, wife of Edward Shepard, of Bradford county, and Jane Ann, wife of Mordecai Schoonover, of Bradford county. His second wife was Sarah Jane Clark, a native of Bradford county, who bore him nine children, as follows: Esther, wife of Joseph Crippen, of Nebraska; Isabella, wife of Albert Saxbury, of Chatham township; Lemuel W., a resident of Clymer; James and Jerry, both of whom live in Middlebury; Martin V., of Charleston; General H., of Chatham; Amos, who lives at Academy Corners, and Flora, wife of Jefferson Chappel, of Deerfield. Mrs. Jackson resides with her daughter, Mrs. Saxbury, in Chatham township.
JERRY JACKSON was born in Deerfield township, Tioga county, June 10, 1852, a son of Lemuel and Sarah Jane Jackson. He obtained a common school education, and on attaining his majority commenced learning the blacksmith’s trade with M. L. Wilson, of Keeneyville, and has since worked at Mansfield, Holiday and Chatham Valley, where he has since built up a good business, making a specialty of horse shoeing. In 1880 he married Kittie Niles, a daughter of Wallace Niles, and has three children, viz: Cleve Merton, Nellie Myrtle and Fahy Homer. Mr. And Mrs. Jackson are members of the Free Baptist church, in which he has filled the office of deacon, and is at present one of the trustees. He is also a member of the K. O. T. M., and in politics, a Prohibitionist.
JOHN C. ROBB, a son of John Robb, was born in Muncy township. Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, November 2, 1809. His grandfather, Robert Robb, was an ensign in the French and Indian War, in 1758, and one of the first settlers of Muncy township. When about eleven years of age John C. came to Tioga county and lived for a time with Aaron Niles, at Niles valley. He afterwards went to Lawrenceville and worked several years for Charles Ford. About 1831 he came into Farmington township, and soon after bought a farm, a part of the Bingham estate, in the Peter Mourey neighborhood, which had previously been occupied by a man named Compton, one of the first settlers of the township. Mr. Robb married Susan Locke, who became the mother of four children, viz: Rachel, deceased wife of Rev. Francis Rand, of West Berlin, Massachusetts; Levi R., deceased; Minerva, wife of Jeremiah E. Green, of Tioga, and James L., a resident of Wellsboro. Levi R. enlisted September 18, 1861, and was mustered in as sergeant of Company H, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers: re-enlisted January 1, 1864, and was promoted to second Lieutenant January 24, 1865, and later to the rank of captain. He participated in many battles and engagements. In the Wilderness a part of his brigade was captured and marched off southward, but Lieutenant Robb determined to escape and broke for liberty. The guard fired on him and his clothes were pierced by thirty-two bullets, but he escaped safely and comparatively uninjured. Rejoining his regiment, he was mortally wounded at Fort Hell, in front of Petersburg, April 2, 1865, and died at City Point Hospital seven days later. John C. Robb remained on the homestead in Farmington until 1868, when he sold it to his son James >, and removed to Tioga, where he died October 7, 1877. His wife survived until April 6, 1890, dying at the age of seventy-two years. In politics, he was a Democrat until 1860, when he became a Republican and voted for Abraham Lincoln. He served as a justice of the peace from 1840 to `845, and as a county auditor from 1851 to 1854. In religion, he was a Presbyterian, and one of the organizers and leading members of the Presbyterian church of Farmington, in which body he served as an elder for many years.
WALTER VANDUSEN, a native of Schoharie county, New York, settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1835, where he cleared and improved a farm of 120 acres. In 1870 he removed to Wellsboro, and died there in April, 1879, at the age of eighty-six years. He married Betsey Thorne, and they were the parents of eleven children, viz: Hannah, who married Jonas Seely; John, Maria, who married Ansel Wright; Catherine, who married Franklin Russell; William, Polly, who married E. D. Fish; Milo, Ann, who married Robert Potter; Stephen, Andrew, and James, who was killed April 2, 1865, in front of Petersburg, Virginia, while serving in the Union Army.
WILLIAM VANDUSEN was born in Schoharie county, New York, January 8, 1822, and came with his parents, Walter and Betsey VanDusen, to Farmington township. Tioga county, in 1835. On attaining his majority he purchased a tract of fifty acres in Farmington, for which he went into debt $200, and before the principle was all paid, the interest amounted to $108. He subsequently added to his original purchase until he owned ninety acres, which he sold. In 1863 he bought the Lemuel Cady homestead of 100 acres, and subsequently added thereto 100 acres more. A good share of the last tract he cleared and improved, and resided upon this farm until his death. Mr. VanDusen married Emily Cady, a daughter of Lemuel and Ruth (Gleason) Cady, to which union were born four children, viz: Oscar A., Josephine, deceased; Frank and Fred, the last two being twins. In politics, he was a stanch Republican, and in religious belief, a Methodist. He held many of the local offices in Farmington, was highly respected in the community, where he spent nearly sixty years of his life, and always took an active part in public affairs.
FRANK VANDUSEN, son of William VanDusen, and grandson of Walter VanDusen, was born in Farmington township, September 19, 1863. He was reared upon the old homestead, and obtained a good education in the public schools, and the State Normal School at Mansfield, and graduated at Allen’s Business College, Elmira, New York in 1884. He then entered the employ of the Fall Brook Railroad Company, as station agent at Harrison Valley, Potter county, remaining there one year. He was afterwards one of the keepers of in the New York Reformatory, at Elmira, which position he held nine months. In the autumn of 1887 he returned home, and taught one term of school. In 1888-89 he was constable of Farmington township, since which time he has been engaged in farming on the old homestead. It comprises 100 acres, and he also owns 107 acres known as the John VanDusen farm. He is an ardent Republican, and during the session of 1892, he was doorkeeper of the House at Harrisburg, and was a delegate to the state convention in the same city in 1894. On June 30, 1887, Mr. VanDusen married Dell Hall, a daughter of George M. and Sarah (Green) Hall, of Farmington, and has had two children, Gusta and Ruth, both deceased. Mr. VanDusen is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and also of the I. O. O. F. He is one of the enterprising citizens of his township.
ROBERT CASBEER, a son of William and Catherine (Jay) Casbeer, was born at Owego, Tioga county, New York, September 4, 1811, and was reared in Osceola, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, from the age of five years, in the family of Deacon Elihu Hill. On attaining manhood he worked Mr. Hill’s farm five years, and for five years afterwards was engaged in farming in Woodhull, New York. In 1841 he settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, where he cleared and improved upwards of 300 acres of land, upon which he lived for many years, removing late in life to Osceola, and dying in 1892. His first wife was Susan House, and they were the parents of the following children: Ann, wife of Aaron E. Baker; Benjamin, deceased; Catherine J., wife of John R. Smith; Daniel E., Emily, wife of Jerome Spencer; Flora, wife of Benjamin Adams, and Gratia, wife of Fred Gaig. Mr. Casbeer was a man of positive character and decided views, and possessed a vigorous and energetic nature. He was ever ready to help the needy, often refusing to sell his farm produce for money, saying to the would-be purchaser, "You have money and can buy of others, while I have poor neighbors to whom I must sell and wait for my pay." His wife, Susan, was, in every sense of the word, a helpmeet. Brought up in an atmosphere of refinement, a school teacher before her marriage, and possessing a naturally self-reliant disposition, she was in every way qualified to help make a Christian home. She was an earnest member of the Presbyterian church. About two years after Mrs. Casbeer’s death, Mr. Casbeer married for his second wife, Mrs. Maria Barker Fish, an estimable Christian, and did much to shape and mold the moral sentiment of the community in which he lived. He always took a prominent part in public affairs, and served as assessor of Farmington township seventeen successive terms. In politics, he was a Republican.
DANIEL E. CASBEER was born in Farmington township, Tioga county, February 23, 1852, and is the only surviving son of Robert and Susan Casbeer. He grew to manhood upon the old homestead, and was educated in the common schools and at the Osceola High School. Farming has been his life vocation, and he has lived on his present farm of 140 acres since 1877. Mr. Casbeer was married November 8, 1876, to Sarah Peters, a daughter of James E. and Priscilla (Smith) Peters. Of Farmington township. Four children are the fruits of this union, viz: Bennie L., Fred D., Grace E. and Charlie R. Mr. Casbeer has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church for twenty years, and is a trustee in the Pleasant Valley society. In politics he is a Republican, and is a member of the I. O. O. F., the P. of H., and K. S. F. I.
CARLOS HOUSE was born in Connecticut, November 8, 1812, son of Ansel and Nancy (Beel) House, early settlers of Farmington township. They located on the farm now occupied by W. C. House about 1830, and there spent the remaining years of their lives. Their children are as follows: Rockwell, Andrew, Carlos, and Eliza who married Danile Mourey. Carlos assisted in clearing the old homestead, where he resided until his death. He was instrumental in having a postoffice established at Farmington Center, of which he was the first incumbent, holding the office eight years. He was married October 3, 1853, to Adelia Lee – born July 28, 1824, in Milford, Otsego county, New York – a daughter of Barnes and Azubah (Sergrents) Lee, who bore him two sons, Willie C., and Clarence M., born May 8, 1855, and died in November, 1855. Mr. House died December 11, 1887.
WILLIE C. HOUSE, only living child of Carlos House, was born on the old homestead in Farmington township, Tioga county, December 15, 1857, and has spent his entire life upon the farm. He obtained a common school education, and has made farming his life vocation. On June 10, 1893, he married Bertha Dodge, born June 9, 1873, a daughter of Alpha W. and Mahala (Smith) Dodge, of Chatham township, and has two daughters, Helen L., born March 3, 1894, and Julia Zella, born September 24, 1895. Mr. House is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and in politics, an adherent of the Democratic party.
ELISHA SOULE was born in Massachusetts, May 15, 1806, a son of Rowland and Mary (Phelps) Soule. In early life he removed to Truxton, Cortland county, New York, where he was married May 10, 1826, to Polly Colgrove, a daughter of William and Susannah (Brightman) Colgrove. She was born in Rhode Island, whence the family removed to New York state. Eleven children were the fruits of this union, viz: Cornelia S., wife of William P. Abbott,of Monroe county, Wisconsin; Sarah G., wife of James D. Abbott, of the same county; William L., who entered the United States service in March, 1863, and contracted typhoid fever, from which he died at his father’s home in Farmington, October 2, following; Wesley V., a resident of Monroe county, Wisconsin; James R., who enlisted in Company H, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania volunteers, in September, 1861, and served with his regiment until the battle of Spottsylvania, May 10. 1864, where he was killed; Catherine E., widow of J. D. Greenfield; Perry R., who enlisted in Company L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, in March, 1862, served with his regiment until 1864, when he was taken prisoner and confined at Andersonville until December of the same year, when he was paroled and sent to Annapolis, Maryland, where he died, December 31, 1864; Amanda M., wife of George W. Bowen, of Farmington; Omar H., who enlisted in Company L, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, in February, 1864, and served until the close of the war, and is now a resident of Steuben county, New York; Julia A., deceased wife of Charles Baker, of Lawrence township, and Lelia L., wife of Henry J. Weltroth, of Williamsport. In 1830 Mr. Soule settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, removing a few years later into Middlebury township. About 1839 he located near Keeneyville, on the Griffin farm. After living there seven years he sold it and returned to Farmington. In 1849 he purchased the farm where his son-in-law, George W. Bowen, now lives, upon which he resided until his death. By sturdy industry he cleared and improved the property, erecting substantial buildings, and bringing the land to a high state of cultivation. Mr. Soule was a stanch Republican, and both he and his wife were consistent members of the Methodist church. He died April 5, 1871 and his wife, November 21, 1885.
GEORGE W. BOWEN was born in Farmington township, Tioga county, March 4, 1839, a son of David and Mathilda (Winser) Bowen, formerly of Rhode Island. From the age of two years he was reared in the family of Peter Mourey, of Farmington, with whom he remained working on the farm until his majority. On June 30, 1861, he married Amanda M. Soule, a daughter of Elisha and Polly Soule, to which union have been born seven children, viz: Stella F., Grant and Daisy, all of whom are dead; James R., a resident of Philadelphia; Wesley G., a resident of Corning; Votcott E. and Alfred. On September 2, 1864, Mr. Bowen enlisted in Company H, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served with his regiment until the close of the war. In August, 1865, he bought the Preston farm in Farmington township, where he lived until 1873, in which year he located upon his father-in-law’s homestead, which has since been his place of residence. He also owns a home in Tioga. Mr. Bowen is a member of Tioga River Lodge, No. 797, I. O. O. F., of Tioga, and both he and his wife are charter members of Fair View Grange, No. 817, of Farmington. In politics, he is a Republican. Mr. And Mrs. Bowen are members of Farmington Hill Presbyterian church.
HENRY SMITH, a native of Jasper, Steuben county, New York, was born January 19, 1812, and came to Nelson, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, before attaining his majority, where he worked by the month. After his marriage he settled in Nelson township permanently. In early manhood he engaged in lumbering, in which business he continued several years, and later followed agriculture, clearing and improving the farm now occupied by his son-in-law, Jerome L. Bosard, upon which he resided until his death, in January, 1894. He married Phoebe M. Cook, a daughter of John Cook, of Nelson, to which union were born seven children, viz: Willard, Priscilla, widow of James E. Peters; Elizabeth, wife of Charles R. Howland; Maria, wife of Harry Baxter; John R., Alice, wife of Jerome L. Bosard, and Frances, wife of Walter Pease. Mr. Smith was an ardent Republican, and in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
JOHN R. SMITH was born in Nelson township, Tioga county, January 8, 1848, and is a son of Henry Smith. He was reared in his native township, and was educated in the public schools and Union Academy. Since 1870 he has been engaged in farming in Farmington township. On December 23, 1868, he married Catherine, a daughter of Robert and Susan (House) Casbeer, of Farmington, and has four children, viz: Henry B., Lena E., Susan H., and Phoebe M. Politically, Mr. Smith is a Republican, and has served three years as constable and collector of his township. He is a member of the F. & A. M., the I. O. O. F., and the P. of H. societies, and is one of the prominent farmers of the vicinity.
WILLIAM BAXTER, a native of Delaware county, New York, born in 1803, was a son of Nathan Baxter, a Revolutionary soldier, and came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1836. He settled in Nelson, where he engaged in the manufacture of furniture for several years, but later located on a farm in Farmington township, where he resided until his death. His wife, Rachel, was a daughter of James Paul, of Delaware county, New York, and bore him four children, viz: Sarah A., who ,married Myron A. Johnson; Alva, William H., and Adeline, who married Henry Mourey. Mr. Baxter was a Democrat, and though not a member of any church, was a regular attendant at the services of the Methodist Episcopal society.
ALVA BAXTER, eldest son of William Baxter, was born in Delaware county, New York, July 6, 1829, and came to Tioga county with his parents when about seven years old. He attended the common schools of Nelson, and later learned the carpenter’s trade, which he has followed more or less ever since. About 1862 he settled on the farm he now occupies in Farmington township, embracing 180 acres of land, the greater part of which he has cleared and improved. In 1855 he married Lorency Gleason, a daughter of Warren and Sarah A. (Treat) Gleason, of Farmington. Three children have been born to them, viz: Sarah A., Rachel, wife of Charles Davenport, and Edwin. Mr. Baxter is a Democrat, in politics, and has been assessor of Farmington several times. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and the P. of H., and is one of the leading farmers of his township.
JULIUS A. PHELPS was born in New England, April 19, 1802. His parents, Oliver and Roxanna Phelps, natives of New England, were pioneers of Nelson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where both resided until their deaths. They had six children, viz: Lydia, who married Gershom Clark; Julius A., Gilbert, Oliver, George W., and Fidelia, who married Joseph White. The subject of this sketch settled in Mansfield, Tioga county, in early manhood, and was engaged in farming in that locality up to 1842, when he removed to Farmington township, to the farm now owned by his son Warren. He cleared and improved this property, and resided on it until his death, January 2, 1883. His wife, Clarissa, was a daughter of Benjamin Worden, of Potter county, Pennsylvania, and bore him five children, as follows: Maria, who married Charles Webster; Caroline, who became the wife of Benjamin Powers; Wesley, Orilla, wife of Ambrose Place, and Warren.
WARREN PHELPS, youngest child of Julius A. Phelps, was born in Mansfield, Tioga county, October 9, 1838, and was reared on the old homestead in Farmington township. He attended the common schools of his district, and has lived upon his present farm, which was settled by his father, since he was three years old. February 24, 1858, he married Maria Teachman, a daughter of Abram and Louisa (Brimmer) Teachman, of Osceola. In politics, he is a Democrat, is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is one of the substantial farmers of his township.
REUBEN H. CLOSE was born at Locke, Cayuga county, New York, November
20, 1832, a son of Peter M. and Lucretia (Holmes) Close. He came with his
parents to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled in the southeastern
part of Farmington township, on the farm now occupied by E. W. Close. He
remained at home until his majority, and for a few years after he was engaged
in the nursery business at Elmira, New York. On September 15, 1861, he
enlisted in Company H, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and soon after
entering the service he was commissioned second lieutenant of that company.
He was, however, taken sick and was honorably discharged for disability
about a year later. Mr. Close was married February 16, 1864, to Esther
O. Hurlbut, a daughter of Lyman and Caroline (Scoville) Hurlbut, of Lawrence
township, to which union have been born the following children: Carrie
H., wife of Frank M. Leonard, a lawyer of Wellsville, New York; Mary A.,
Randolph R., who died at the age of twenty four; William E., Mead P., Fred,
deceased, and one that died in infancy. Mr. Close was engaged in merchandising
at Farmington Hill for a few years after the war, and later purchased a
farm of 110 acres, where he has since resided, owning one of the best improved
farms in the township. He devotes his whole attention to the cultivation
and improvement of his land, and makes a specialty of fruit growing. He
has served as a school director for twenty five years, being either secretary
or treasurer of the board during this period, with the exception of one
year, and has also filled the offices of assessor or assistant assessor
for fifteen years and those of township clerk or treasurer for ten consecutive
years. Mrs. Close is a member of Farmington Hill Presbyterian church. He
is connected with the Masonic order, and is also a charter member of Wallace
Bogart Post, No. 362, G. A. R., of Nelson.
JACOB B. DOAN was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, in 1813, and was a son of Joshua Doan. He came from Scipio, New York, to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1841, and after drifting about the county for some years, finally settled in Chatham township, where he cleared and improved a farm, in the meantime working at the carpenter’s trade. He died upon the homestead in 1887. His wife was Sally Churchill, and bore him seven children, viz: Andrew J., Elizabeth, who married Charles Lines; Eliza, wife of Nathan Bard; Sylvester, who married Polly Butler; Mary, wife of Albert Baker; Sally, wife of George Baker, and Jacob, who married Mary Owlett. Mr. Doan was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He was originally an adherent of the Whig party, later a Republican, and finally an advocate of the Greenback doctrines.
ANDREW JACKSON DOAN was born in Scipio, New York, July 8, 1833, and came to Tioga county with his parents in 1841, where he has since lived. He learned the carpenter’s trade, and followed that business for fifteen years. In 1868 he located in Farmington township, and since 1872 he has resided on the farm he now occupies, comprising 100 acres, the greater part of which he has cleared and improved. In 1857 he married Melissa E. Rowley, a daughter of Orlando and Jane Rowley, of Farmington, and has one daughter, Nellie R. Politically, he is a Prohibitionist; has been mercantile appraiser of Tioga county, and has served as justice of the peace for four years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is one of Farmington’s progressive citizens.
CHARLES BLANCHARD,SR., a native of New England, settled in Lawrence township, Tioga county, about 1802, a few years later removing to Lancaster county, and thence to Harrisburg, where he died. He was widely known as a contractor on public works, and in the construction of public roads, canals, etc., during the early years of the century. His wife was a Miss Bigelow, and they were the parents of the following children: Ebenezer, Duodatus, Sylvanus, Charles, Hopestill, Hannah, who married Samuel Snow; Abigail, who married Hosea Ballou; Esther, Aurilla, Ira and Lodema.
CHARLES BLANCHARD was born in Whitehall, New York, April 11, 1793, a son of Charles Blanchard, Sr., and came to Tioga county with his parents when about seven years of age. Before attaining his majority he assisted in clearing and improving the farm in Lawrence township upon which his father settled, and there lived the remaining years of his life, dying July 11, 1878. He married Lovina Hammond, a daughter of Josiah Hammond, of Elkland, who became the mother of nine children, viz: Oliver H., Hopestill, Rececca A., wife of Chester B. Hoyt; Calphurnia, wife of William Phelps; Jane E., wife of J. L. Hurlbut; Charles, Emily, wife of M. Randolph; Myra and Lewis. Mr. Blanchard was one of the organizers of the Presbyterian church of Nelson, of which he was a deacon many years. In politics he supported the Republican party. He was a man of strict temperance habits, and a member of the first temperance society organized in Tioga county.
OLIVER H. BLANCHARD, eldest child of Charles and Lovina Blanchard, was born in Lawrence township, Tioga county, March 4, 1822, and was reared to manhood on the old homestead. In 1850 he settled in Farmington township, and cut the first stick of timber on the farm he now occupies, and upon which he has lived for nearly half a century. Mr. Blanchard has been twice married. January 13, 1852, he married Emily J., daughter of Hopestill and Myra (Kirk) Blanchard, of Tioga county, who bore him five children, viz: Charles, deceased; Mary, wife of Dr. A. H. Forsythe; William P., Chester H. and Frank R. His second marriage occurred September 26, 1866, to Mary J. Mulford, a daughter of Benjamin S. and Rachel (Locke) Mulford, of Farmington, to which union have been born two children, Oliver B. and Charles R. Mr. Blanchard is a member of the Presbyterian church, and also of the I. O. O. F. In politics, a Republican, he was the first nominee of that party for the office of county treasurer of Tioga county, to which he was elected and served a full term of two years.
CHARLES OUDERKIRK was born in Onondaga county, New York, September 10, 1816, a son of Nicholas and Catherine Ouderkirk, and came of Dutch ancestry. In 1844 he located in Elkland, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, whence he removed to Farmington township in 1851, locating on the farm now occupied by his son, Linsford. This he cleared and improved, and erected all of the buildings. His wife, Ruby, was a daughter of Linsford and Mary (Taylor) Coates, pioneers of Elkland, who bore him four children, viz: Linsford, Kate, wife of Frank Tubbs; Morgan, and Diantha, wife of Frank L. Hood. Mr. Ouderkirk was a Republican, but took no active interest in public affairs. He died March 20, 1893, and his wife, Ruby, May 26, 1895. Both are buried in Highland cemetery, at Elkland.
LINSFORD OUDERKIRK, eldest son of Charles Ouderkirk, was born in Hector, Potter county, Pennsylvania, July 23, 1843, and was an infant when his parents came to Tioga county. He grew to manhood in this county, and obtained a good education in the Osceola High School and the State Normal School, at Mansfield. He has followed farming and teaching as his principal vocation, and has taught fall and winter terms for the past twenty years. Since 1851 he has lived upon the old homestead, which he now owns. In 1882 he was postal clerk on the Cowanesque division of the Fall Brook railroad. Politically, Mr. Ouderkirk is a Republican, and in religious beliefs a close communion Baptist.
RHODES W. HALL was born in Hancock, Berkshire county, Massachusetts, May 8, 1823, a son of Reuben Hall. On August 22, 1851, he married Jane A. Knight, and in the spring of 1852 settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and became a partner with his cousin, G. M. Hall, who still resides in that township. He purchased 100 acres of land of Hiram Merritt, which he cleared up. He then bought 100 acres of the Bingham estate. In 1872 he purchased from A. J. Fisk 186 acres in one fallow. He died April 4, 1883. His wife Jane was a daughter of Caleb Knight of Rensselaer county, New York. She bore him six children, who grew to maturity, viz: Alpha, who died in 1874; Lyman, Emma, wife of Charles L. Beiver; Nettie, Anna, wife of G. L. Ashdown, and Jennie, wife of William Butler. Mrs. Hall died in September, 1894. Mr. And Mrs. Hall were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and Mr. Hall was an adherent of the Republican party.
LYMAN HALL was born in Farmington township, Tioga county, June 23, 1859, and is a son of Rhodes W. and a grandson of Reuben Hall, pioneers of the same township. He obtained a common school education, and learned the blacksmith’s trade, subsequently spending several years in Colorado. He also followed farming on the old homestead for eight years, a part of which he now owns, but since 1892 he has conducted a blacksmith shop in Nelson. On December 4, 1883, Mr. Hall married Katie M., a daughter of Alanson and Esther (Young) Buckbee, pioneers of Farmington township, and has four children living: Alta, Floyd, Bennie and Philip. Mr. Hall is a Republican, in politics, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is connected with the I. O. O. F., and the K. O. T. M.
STEPHEN MARTIN, SR., was born in Richmond, Cheshire county, New Hampshire, in 1802, a son of Wilderness Martin, the first white child born in that town. His father was a farmer by occupation, and in religious belief, a Quaker. Stephen was reared in New Hampshire, and from 1826 to 1855 was a resident of Vermont. In the latter year, he settled in Farmington township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he followed farming until 1882. He then removed to Westfield, where he died in 1889. His wife, Esther, was a daughter of Reuben Bemis, of Springfield, Vermont, and bore him six children, viz: Amy, who married Zimri Allen; Ansel H., Almon P., Louisa, wife of John Felker; Reuben B. and Stephen. Mr. Martin was a supporter of the Republican party.
STEPHEN MARTIN, youngest child of Stephen Martin Sr., was born in Barton, Orleans county, Vermont, July 21, 1835, there grew to manhood, and received an academical education. He came to Tioga county with his parents in 1855, and for twenty years taught school during the winter sessions and followed farming in the summer. He lived in Farmington township until 1882, when he removed to Westfield, which has since been his home. On March 26, 1864, Mr. Martin enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was in the engagement in front of Petersburg, and Weldon Railroad. In September, 1864, his regiment was ordered to Philadelphia, where it remained until May 11, 1865, when his company was sent to McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania, on detached duty, and was mustered out of service August 8, 1865. Mr. Martin married Ann Smith, a daughter of Philemon and Mahala (Beach) Smith, of Chatham township, June 10, 1857. Six children are the fruits of this marriage, viz: Armenia, deceased; Lawrence S., Clarence E., Philip Sheridan, Ernest and Fred. Politically, Mr. Martin is a Republican, and is a member of the K. of H., and the G. A. R. societies.
LAWRENCE S. MARTIN, eldest son of Stephen Martin, was born in Farmington township, on the farm where he now resides, November 16, 1859. With the exception of twelve years, he has always lived on the old homestead. On November 1, 1882, he married Jane Owlett, a daughter of Gilbert and Sarah (Temple) Owlett, of Middlebury township. Mr. Martin is a stanch Republican, and is a member of the I. O. O. F.
LEWIS BEIVER was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, May 10, 1827, and served an apprenticeship to the tanner’s trade at Jonestown, Pennsylvania. About 1849 he came to Nelson township,Tioga county, where he was employed in the Blackwell tannery up to 1862. He then purchased a farm in Farmington township, now owned and occupied by his son, Charles L., which he partially cleared and improved, and there died February, 1885. His wife, Eliza, was a daughter of Charles and Mary A. (Chandler) Lugg, of Farmington, and was the mother of three children, two of whom grew to maturity, viz: Mary D., wife of E. W. Close, and Charles L. Mr. Beiver served in the army during the Rebellion, as a member of Company H. Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers. Politically, he was a Republican, was connected with the I. O. O. F. and the K. of H. societies, and was a member of the Presbyterian church.
CHARLES L. BEIVER, son of Lewis Beiver, was born in Nelson, Tioga county,
March 5, 1859, and grew to manhood in Farmington township. He obtained
a good education in the common schools and State Normal School in Mansfield.
In 1881-1882 he was a bookkeeper for a mining company at Hillsboro, New
Mexico, and the balance of his life has been spent on the old homestead,
where he has prosecuted farming quite successfully. Mr. Beiver was married
October 31, 1883, to Emma Hall, a daughter of Rhodes W. and Jane A. (Knight)
Hall of Farmington, and has two sons, Claude H. and Clyde A. In politics,
he is a Republican, has held the office of school director in his township,
and has been secretary of the school board for nine years. He is one of
the most intelligent and progressive citizens of his township.